UTHSCSA Class of 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PattheAggie

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought that I could go ahead and get this started so I could get to know any future classmates

Members don't see this ad.

First, hello and congrats! I'll be one of your San Antonio classmates! I currently live way the heck out in the western part of TX, but I'm oriinally from Kansas. I'm married and have a 10 week-old daughter. I'm soooooo excited about getting into medical school! Things just couldn't be better!!! I take it you're an A&M guy/girl? When's Fran gonna get the axe?

I'm a current MS1 and wanted to say congratulations!

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns. We're a bunch of friendly folks here! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
First, hello and congrats! I'll be one of your San Antonio classmates! I currently live way the heck out in the western part of TX, but I'm oriinally from Kansas. I'm married and have a 10 week-old daughter. I'm soooooo excited about getting into medical school! Things just couldn't be better!!! I take it you're an A&M guy/girl? When's Fran gonna get the axe?

Hey Hawk it is a pleasure to meet you. I am also married with a daughter so we have that in common. And yes I am an Aggie male, and bleed maroon. I am so excited about this acceptance it still feels like a dream to me. As for Fran I believe that after the UT game he is gone no matter what! atleast that is what I am hoping.

So is San Antonio your top school or are you waiting for another offer?

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns. We're a bunch of friendly folks here! :)

Thanks I will definately take you up on thatwhen I can actually think of questions to ask. I am so excited about this acceptance. When I interviewed there I felt extremely comfortable.

With some Aggies on the board, this question might be more applicable. What made you choose San Antonio over A & M? Both schools really impressed me and I really don't know which I like more.

With some Aggies on the board, this question might be more applicable. What made you choose San Antonio over A & M? Both schools really impressed me and I really don't know which I like more.

Well First off it kind of helps that I only prematched into San Antonio. However even if I was accepted into both I would definately have chosen San Antonio (this coming from a person who loves college station by the way). Both schools were very impressive during the interviews, and anyone would be lucky to go to either one of them. But san antonio provided a better opportunity for me to do what I want to do. Eventually I want to go back to south texas and practice medicine. Well with san antonio having an option to practice in Harlingen during my 3rd and fourth years that is a huge plus. Also I have a lot of family in San Antonio, which is another plus. The city is amazing and with great clincal opportunities. The school has a very impressive match list, yet the laid back attitude of the school matches perfectly with my personality. Also having a test week rather than a test every week is something that i like as well.

As for A&M, I loved the school there too. I liked the small class size, and Scott and white. I really hated the fact that a&M has a test every week, and had a split campus. Plus temple is quite possibly the most boring city in the world. A&M's facilites were very impressive though!

Like I said anyone would be lucky to be a medical student at either school, but whne it came down to it San Antonio was definately a better fit.

Hey Hawk it is a pleasure to meet you. I am also married with a daughter so we have that in common. And yes I am an Aggie male, and bleed maroon. I am so excited about this acceptance it still feels like a dream to me. As for Fran I believe that after the UT game he is gone no matter what! atleast that is what I am hoping.

So is San Antonio your top school or are you waiting for another offer?

I think San Antonio is going to be my school... although my wife and I are both Midwesterners, so we're sort of waiting to see on KU, MU, and Saint Louis U. In the final analysis though, the economy of San Antonio as an In-stater vs. paying OOS at KU or MU will likely be the deciding factor regardless of the strong midwestern connection, especially given that I was so comfortable at UTHSCSA.

Despite the fact that I'm probably going to school in TX and will most likely live here for the rest of my life, I'm a Jayhawk born and bred. It was great to see my team finally get over the hump against A&M this year... thanks Fran :) What an incredible season for Reesing, BMac and co, eh? Go Hawks!!!

Hi Twitch! Thanks for volunteering to answer ?'s. I'm really excited about San Antonio as I had an awesome interview day experience there. I love the test-week concept and the way that content is organized into syllabi. I also feel like my clinical education will be awesome given the quality hospitals in close proximity. My only concern is the extensive class time. I'm a class-goer, but I'm also a dad and a husband. I'm a little concerned that the mega contact hours (say, in comparison to some place like tech) is going to make it tougher to balance my family and my school work... Though I've heard that San Antonio is a very family/nontraditional-student friendly school, so I'm trying to wrap my brain around the seeming contradiction. Any input?

Hi Twitch! Thanks for volunteering to answer ?'s. I'm really excited about San Antonio as I had an awesome interview day experience there. I love the test-week concept and the way that content is organized into syllabi. I also feel like my clinical education will be awesome given the quality hospitals in close proximity. My only concern is the extensive class time. I'm a class-goer, but I'm also a dad and a husband. I'm a little concerned that the mega contact hours (say, in comparison to some place like tech) is going to make it tougher to balance my family and my school work... Though I've heard that San Antonio is a very family/nontraditional-student friendly school, so I'm trying to wrap my brain around the seeming contradiction. Any input?

Class attendance is mostly optional. However, the labs and such are required. Our class does have a number of students that have kids/married/non-trads. There are a number of students who don't attend class. Others attend a select few / or most of the classes. It's your preference.

Some other things I wanted to mention just because I don't feel like studying embryo right now:

1) In the past they let students test out of physiology and biochemistry. They did it for our class as well and may likely do it for yours.

2) Regardless of whether you are a class goer or not the general recommendation is to find a place as close to school as possible.

3) Hold off on buying books and such till you know what you really need.

You've made it through the tough part. You're in. Relax and enjoy your time before school starts.

Let me know if you have guys any more questions.

It is good to see that I may have a fellow Kansan as a classmate at UTHSCSA.

Twitch -

Do you know anything about an undergarduate online biochemistry course that UTHSCSA offers to accepted students? I still need biochem and would love to take it online if possible. Any ideas? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Cool. Where are you from?

I am originally from Oskaloosa, a small town about 20 miles from Lawrence. When I attended KU, I had no thought of pursuing medicine- I studied political science. I then spent six years in the Air Force (which brought me to Texas) and during that time I discovered my love of medicine. After getting out of the Air Force, I got a degree in biology from a small Texas school (Angelo State University) and am currently finishing up my MSPH at Tulane in New Orleans. I have definitely taken a circuitous path to medical school. Perhaps that is what San Antonio liked about my application.

Thanks so much for your willingness to answer our questions, it is really appreciated! Now down to the boring questions. How helpful are the faculty in working with you to ensure you know the material? Are they willing to go the extra mile to help you understand something? How vital is going to class and is there a podcast or note taking service in the works? How is the curriculum structured? Do we learn lots of subjects at once or is it blocked into seperate subjects since our tests are on test weeks? Is there a simulation center and if so what does it have? How is single life in San Antonio and living in San Antonio in general outside the tourist attractions (riverwalk, Spurs, and Alamo)? How much time do they give you to prep for your step 2 exam after you finish your 2nd year tests (how many days)? What kind of clinical experience do you get in your first 2 years? Ok, that is all I can think of for now. Just so excited to be accepted!

So who all is going to the showcase weekend? I will definately be there and I figured it might be nice to be able to put a face with a screen name. Also after either Friday or Saturday events we should try to get a group of people together and go up to the Flying Saucer. I had a good time last I was there and i figured I should go ahead and get started on that beer tour thingy so I can get a golden saucer with my name on it put on the wall.

I'll be at the Showcase with my Dad. Just my way of saying thanks for him being so awesome throughout the process. :thumbup:

Twitch -

Do you know anything about an undergarduate online biochemistry course that UTHSCSA offers to accepted students? I still need biochem and would love to take it online if possible. Any ideas? Thanks!!

I don't know of any. Contact the admissions office and see if they have any suggestions.

Thanks so much for your willingness to answer our questions, it is really appreciated! Now down to the boring questions. How helpful are the faculty in working with you to ensure you know the material? Are they willing to go the extra mile to help you understand something? How vital is going to class and is there a podcast or note taking service in the works? How is the curriculum structured? Do we learn lots of subjects at once or is it blocked into seperate subjects since our tests are on test weeks? Is there a simulation center and if so what does it have? How is single life in San Antonio and living in San Antonio in general outside the tourist attractions (riverwalk, Spurs, and Alamo)? How much time do they give you to prep for your step 2 exam after you finish your 2nd year tests (how many days)? What kind of clinical experience do you get in your first 2 years? Ok, that is all I can think of for now. Just so excited to be accepted!

Good questions. The faculty are very approachable. You can email them with questions / call them / or just walk in and they'll be happy to explain. Though for the most part, it's not that the concepts are difficult to grasp, it's the volume of information in medical school to take in.

As I mentioned above classes are optional. The general advice is to attend classes initially till you get a feel of whether you'll be a "class goer" or a study on your own. There is someone in our class that posts the audio online though they are taking about a formal podcasting for MS1s. There is a pilot currently underway for MS2s. Keep in mind that there are a number of students who don't goto class and don't listen to lectures and still do very well. Again, it's not that the concepts are difficult (for the most part) - just the volume.

We're on modules and each module lasts about a month. At the end of the module you have tests. For physio and anatomy you have quizzes each week. Each module has about 4-5 subjects. Right now we're doing GI/Renal. Last module was Cardio. What I like about this is that all the subjects (gross / biochem / physio / histo) all teach about the same organ system just from different viewpoints. I like the integration there.

There is a clinical skills center where you work with standardized patients and such. Here is some more info about the center and sims.

Formally there are several clinical things during first two years. One is CAP which is part of OBD. You'll learn the basics here auscultation/percussion / etc. There are numerous other channels depending on what type of clinical experience you're looking for - EM/Surgical/Mission Trips/etc. There is an interest group for most of the major specialties. Additionally, if there is an area you're interested in let them know and they'll set something up. There are other opportunities to work directly with SAMM shelter and alpha homes(?) where you can get more clinical experience.

After MS2 you take step 1 not step 2. However there is some discussion going on about getting rid of step 1 (as it exists today). There are some threads floating around on SDN - take a look at that if you'd like more info on that. After MS2, I believe you get 7 weeks "vacation", though don't quote me on that.

I'm married so perhaps some other seniors could comment on single life here.

Good Luck and again Congrats!

I don't know of any. Contact the admissions office and see if they have any suggestions.

Good questions. The faculty are very approachable. You can email them with questions / call them / or just walk in and they'll be happy to explain. Though for the most part, it's not that the concepts are difficult to grasp, it's the volume of information in medical school to take in.

As I mentioned above classes are optional. The general advice is to attend classes initially till you get a feel of whether you'll be a "class goer" or a study on your own. There is someone in our class that posts the audio online though they are taking about a formal podcasting for MS1s. There is a pilot currently underway for MS2s. Keep in mind that there are a number of students who don't goto class and don't listen to lectures and still do very well. Again, it's not that the concepts are difficult (for the most part) - just the volume.

We're on modules and each module lasts about a month. At the end of the module you have tests. For physio and anatomy you have quizzes each week. Each module has about 4-5 subjects. Right now we're doing GI/Renal. Last module was Cardio. What I like about this is that all the subjects (gross / biochem / physio / histo) all teach about the same organ system just from different viewpoints. I like the integration there.

There is a clinical skills center where you work with standardized patients and such. Here is some more info about the center and sims.

Formally there are several clinical things during first two years. One is CAP which is part of OBD. You'll learn the basics here auscultation/percussion / etc. There are numerous other channels depending on what type of clinical experience you're looking for - EM/Surgical/Mission Trips/etc. There is an interest group for most of the major specialties. Additionally, if there is an area you're interested in let them know and they'll set something up. There are other opportunities to work directly with SAMM shelter and alpha homes(?) where you can get more clinical experience.

After MS2 you take step 1 not step 2. However there is some discussion going on about getting rid of step 1 (as it exists today). There are some threads floating around on SDN - take a look at that if you'd like more info on that. After MS2, I believe you get 7 weeks "vacation", though don't quote me on that.

I'm married so perhaps some other seniors could comment on single life here.

Good Luck and again Congrats!

Thanks so much for giving such a full and informative response. I meant how much time do they give you between your finals at the end of second year and your taking the step 1 (sorry, not the step 2, got confused when typing second year). I only ask because some schools give you a free month or more to study for the step 1 while others just expect you to be ready after finals without a free 5 weeks or so to study.

Also, other people who know San Antonio, how is the social life in San Antonio? Is there a good place to go let off some steam with your friends (like Austin has 6th street and the warehouse district to go party). Is the dating scene pretty good? I am hoping to have a life outside of the medical school class. I have heard too many horror stories about dating within the med school class, plus alot of people seem to already be married or engaged.

So who all is going to the showcase weekend? I will definately be there and I figured it might be nice to be able to put a face with a screen name. Also after either Friday or Saturday events we should try to get a group of people together and go up to the Flying Saucer. I had a good time last I was there and i figured I should go ahead and get started on that beer tour thingy so I can get a golden saucer with my name on it put on the wall.

I wish that my wife and I could go, but we've got a newborn so traveling is tough... she's also on call that weekend so it just won't fit in our schedule. Also, would be a great weekend for a Jayhawk to be in San Antonio :).

I am originally from Oskaloosa, a small town about 20 miles from Lawrence. When I attended KU, I had no thought of pursuing medicine- I studied political science. I then spent six years in the Air Force (which brought me to Texas) and during that time I discovered my love of medicine. After getting out of the Air Force, I got a degree in biology from a small Texas school (Angelo State University) and am currently finishing up my MSPH at Tulane in New Orleans. I have definitely taken a circuitous path to medical school. Perhaps that is what San Antonio liked about my application.

I'm originally from Olathe. Sounds like most of us posting here so far are non-trads. I've spent the last 6 years (post-undergrad) in retail sales (ugh!), real estate (ugh!), and as a postbacc student (yay!!). My wife and I have been looking forward to medical school for several years now, so it feels unbelievable to finally be holding that acceptance. Go hawks!!

I will be there... but only on Saturday... I am about 80 percent sure that I will end up in San Antonio maybe after the weekend I will be 100 percent :)

Howdy guys! I guess I am a "non-traditional" student. I got my bachelor's from A&M in 2001 and then my PhD in toxicology from A&M as well in 2005. I've been working in the Poison Center at Dallas but am looking forward to meeting all you guys!!

Howdy guys! I guess I am a "non-traditional" student. I got my bachelor's from A&M in 2001 and then my PhD in toxicology from A&M as well in 2005. I've been working in the Poison Center at Dallas but am looking forward to meeting all you guys!!

Howdy, glad to have you aboard! I hope you like football cause I definately need to find some good people to watch next years season with (I have already moved on to next season and forgot this years football season).

I am currently trying to decide whether or not to stick with my early acceptance offer to UTSA and I have a couple of questions:

1. How long (if at all) do students get off to study for the USMLE step 1 exam?

2. What is the pass rate for the USMLE step 1 at UTSA?

3. What is the average USMLE step 1 score at UTSA?

4. Is the grading system at UTSA numerical or high pass, pass etc?

5. Was UTSA your first choice, and why?

6. BIG QUESTION: Is any sort of Problem Based Learning used?

I have a question and I know it was sortof addressed above:

but how do students deal with the 8-5 classes? Is skipping class really the only way to sucessfully study? I have always worked better in the daytime and I am concerned that if I am in class until 5, I will not be very sucessful. I have interviewed at some schools with 8-noon classes where students, for the most part are able to fit classes and studying into a 8am-6pm or so day (granted not right around exams) and do just fine. Is this realistic at UTHSCSA?

Also, I am from SA and would love to go back but one of my other acceptances is offering a significant scholarship... When do UTHSCSA's scholarships come into play?

The above question raises a good point. I always thought I could squueze in studying each day once I get home from classes, perhaps 7-11PM but I am thinking that this is not very realistic.....

hello all! i too will be joining you guys in SA. i've been a lurker for quite some time. i'm originally from a little town outside of Austin. currently, living in DC doing research & grad school. i'm married, but we do not yet have kids.

are any of you on facebook? is there a facebook group/network for our class?

Found it. :D

For those on facebook, just search for "UTHSCSA Medical School Class of 2012" in the groups section.

By the by, are there any musicians in the class? My electric drumset, guitar, and keyboard are definately coming with me, and I haven't yet decided about the acoustic set and xylophone. That will depend on the housing situation. I'm sure a little music diversion would make a great activity for stress relief.

Hey everyone,

I got my pre-match back on the 15th but didn't start posting on SDN until today! Anyways, I'm a senior at Baylor and should be headed to San Antonio next year... (I'm choosing between UTHSCSA and TCOM, but I'm def. leaning towards SA). I'm lookin' forward to getting to know you guys (and talking football, too... yeah for Art Briles!)

Anyways, did any of you go to the Showcase Weekend yesterday/today? I wasn't able to make it due to some other commitments. What exactly did they do this weekend, how did you like it, and did you find out anything interesting? Please share if you can!

Hey everyone,

I got my pre-match back on the 15th but didn't start posting on SDN until today! Anyways, I'm a senior at Baylor and should be headed to San Antonio next year... (I'm choosing between UTHSCSA and TCOM, but I'm def. leaning towards SA). I'm lookin' forward to getting to know you guys (and talking football, too... yeah for Art Briles!)

Anyways, did any of you go to the Showcase Weekend yesterday/today? I wasn't able to make it due to some other commitments. What exactly did they do this weekend, how did you like it, and did you find out anything interesting? Please share if you can!

Ditto! My family and I couldn't make the long drive across the state, so I'd love to hear from those who made the showcase weekend!!

Hey everyone,

Friday night was just a social gathering with med students, faculty, and those that were just accepted. Lots of food, beer, and fun! After that a good portion of us went some bar called the highlander. After meeting everyone there I have to tell you that we are going to have a hell of a class. We all had a lot of fun just getting to know each other and hanging out. On saturday the deans all talked to us. then a med student panel and a resident panel answered some questions. Then we had lunch and left.

The first presentation that we had in the morning was from the Dean of the med school. He showed us what they had planned for UTHSCSA, and let me tell you it was impressive. They are puttiing in around 500million dollars for all sorts of upgrades to the school, new facilities, more faculty, and a new weight room. Also many of the hospitals that we do rotations at are getting ready to do a lot of renovating and additions totaling somewhere near another 500 million dollars.

the second presentation we had was from dr jones who gave us the stats of those accepted which were 3.72 and a 31 mcat

There was a lot more said during this weekend that I cant remember right at this moment, hopes this paints a little bit of a picture of what went on this weekend.

there is also going to be a wlecome weekend i believe in march to meet the finalized classmates and look at possible housing options.

PattheAggie,

Thanks for relaying the events of the weekend. I wasn't able to make out that way, but it sounds like it was really awesome. :D

Friday night was just a social gathering with med students, faculty, and those that were just accepted. Lots of food, beer, and fun! After that a good portion of us went some bar called the highlander. After meeting everyone there I have to tell you that we are going to have a hell of a class. We all had a lot of fun just getting to know each other and hanging out. On saturday the deans all talked to us. then a med student panel and a resident panel answered some questions. Then we had lunch and left.

The first presentation that we had in the morning was from the Dean of the med school. He showed us what they had planned for UTHSCSA, and let me tell you it was impressive. They are puttiing in around 500million dollars for all sorts of upgrades to the school, new facilities, more faculty, and a new weight room. Also many of the hospitals that we do rotations at are getting ready to do a lot of renovating and additions totaling somewhere near another 500 million dollars.

the second presentation we had was from dr jones who gave us the stats of those accepted which were 3.72 and a 31 mcat

There was a lot more said during this weekend that I cant remember right at this moment, hopes this paints a little bit of a picture of what went on this weekend.

there is also going to be a wlecome weekend i believe in march to meet the finalized classmates and look at possible housing options.

Thanks for the info! You guys look to have a hell of a basketball team this year. Turgeon was a great hire.

Thanks for the info! You guys look to have a hell of a basketball team this year. Turgeon was a great hire.

Yeah its been a really fun season so far, although that Arizona loss was hard to watch. But then again the first one is always sucks pretty bad. Its a pretty young team so with a new coach, so I assume that we should just be getting better as the season goes on.

PattheAggie,

Thanks for relaying the events of the weekend. I wasn't able to make out that way, but it sounds like it was really awesome. :D

No problem, sorry you all couldn't make it in. It would have been nice you meet some of yall

Yeah its been a really fun season so far, although that Arizona loss was hard to watch. But then again the first one is always sucks pretty bad. Its a pretty young team so with a new coach, so I assume that we should just be getting better as the season goes on.

Buddinger and bayless are great... my hawks almost coughed it up to zona at the fieldhouse last weekend when buddinger exploded for nearly 30. Big 12 should have a couple of great teams this year, just wish more of them played in the north.

On a slightly different note, what do you think about the area around the HSC campus? My wife and I have contacted a realtor and are looking at condos proximate to the school, but I'm trying to pick as many brains as possible in order to formulate the most accurate picture of the "neighborhood" without any realtor-type sales bias... any impressions?

Anyone else (hint, hint Twitch and other current students) with opinions on/experience with the area around the HSC?

Anybody know if the admissions office sets up any type of "second look" for those with pre-match acceptances? I really feel like I didn't see a lot when I went down for my interview, and don't want to make a match decision without knowing as much as I can

Buddinger and bayless are great... my hawks almost coughed it up to zona at the fieldhouse last weekend when buddinger exploded for nearly 30. Big 12 should have a couple of great teams this year, just wish more of them played in the north.

On a slightly different note, what do you think about the area around the HSC campus? My wife and I have contacted a realtor and are looking at condos proximate to the school, but I'm trying to pick as many brains as possible in order to formulate the most accurate picture of the "neighborhood" without any realtor-type sales bias... any impressions?

Anyone else (hint, hint Twitch and other current students) with opinions on/experience with the area around the HSC?

The general advice is to find a place as close as possible to school. This will cut down on your commute time. We bought a townhouse not too far from school. Typically you want to stay inside the area bounded by I-410, I-10, Bandera and 1604. Though there are some folks who live outside this region, keep in mind the further you go the longer you'll be on the road. If you're buying a place that needs work done, keep in mind how much time you can afford to spend on it.

In Med school time becomes esp tight so anything you can do to make your life easier is what you should aim for.

The general advice is to find a place as close as possible to school. This will cut down on your commute time. We bought a townhouse not too far from school. Typically you want to stay inside the area bounded by I-410, I-10, Bandera and 1604. Though there are some folks who live outside this region, keep in mind the further you go the longer you'll be on the road. If you're buying a place that needs work done, keep in mind how much time you can afford to spend on it.

In Med school time becomes esp tight so anything you can do to make your life easier is what you should aim for.

Is the area within 2-3 miles of the medschool safe? My wife will be getting home som nights at approx. 1 am and we have an infant daughter. Thoughts?

Is the area within 2-3 miles of the medschool safe? My wife will be getting home som nights at approx. 1 am and we have an infant daughter. Thoughts?

The area around the med center is quite safe. There are, of course, pockets of nastiness, as there are anywhere. It only takes one bad dude. It is generally a newer (within the past 30 years) area of town, and is full of young families. The schools in the area are good, and the area is growing.

Personally, I would aim for midway between 410 and 1604. Closer to 410 is older, and somewhat transitional neighborhoods, and closer to 1604 is newer - meaning way too much traffic, congestion, and turnover in the neighborhoods. There are lots of houses for rent in the Babcock/Huebner area, as well as plenty of condos/apartments, etc.

Feel free to PM me if you want more specifics!!

The area around the med center is quite safe. There are, of course, pockets of nastiness, as there are anywhere. It only takes one bad dude. It is generally a newer (within the past 30 years) area of town, and is full of young families. The schools in the area are good, and the area is growing.

Personally, I would aim for midway between 410 and 1604. Closer to 410 is older, and somewhat transitional neighborhoods, and closer to 1604 is newer - meaning way too much traffic, congestion, and turnover in the neighborhoods. There are lots of houses for rent in the Babcock/Huebner area, as well as plenty of condos/apartments, etc.

Feel free to PM me if you want more specifics!!

Thanks for the info, CPA! Just curious... I see on your MD Apps that you are in at A&M (congrats!). Are you still considering SA? Is it a higher rank for you in the match than A&M?

Thanks for the info, CPA! Just curious... I see on your MD Apps that you are in at A&M (congrats!). Are you still considering SA? Is it a higher rank for you in the match than A&M?

The better question is...is SA still considering me? Believe me, if I get word from San Antonio, I'm dropping A&M like a hot potato!! Nothing against A&M, but I live in San Antonio, about 10 minutes away from the medical center. As near as I can tell, staying in San Antonio will save me a minimum of $80k over the next 4 years, not to mention the stress relief.

I'll be happy to answer any San Antonio questions. I've been here for a long time, and know quite a bit about the city.

hey guys, i'm new on this thread.

i'm still not sure if i'm going be UTHSCSA Class of 2012, because I'm also holding an offer from UTSW, but I am leaning towards San Antonio for family, girlfriend, curriculum, and overall comfort reasons.

My family would be two hours away, my girlfriend is working on her masters there at the HSC, and I feel that San Antonio is an overall better fit for me.

First of all... Current SA medical students: Do you have any input on the overall satisfaction of attending UTHSCSA? When it comes to matching for residencies, how do you feel UTHSCSA prepared you for the boards, and are UTHSCSA students usually successful in the match?

Secondly, does anyone know if the construction of the new rec center is underway?

Hopefully soon to be UTHSCSA Class of 2012!!

Secondly, does anyone know if the construction of the new rec center is underway?

quote]

Alfred, welcome aboard. The last I heard was that they were trying to finalize the location of the rec center, however that was two weeks ago. They said that the date of completion was going to be some time next fall, but that sounds pretty ambitious to me.

sup people...looks like ill be heading down to UTHSCSA as well. looking forward to having 4 yrs of fun with everyone. anyways good to see we got some college football fans here. im huge fan myself so we will def have to watch the games next yr.

Welcome to the group, Vatsal.

Question: Did everyone get the e-mail today with the recruiting letter for the MD/MPH 4 year degree? I've been considering this program since the day I interviewed and I am on the verge of applying. Does anyone know the inside scoop on this program? Is it A LOT of extra work; is the extra work worth it? I'm really interested in public health, especially infectious diseases as well as political advocacy...

If any of you have any info/opinions on this program... pls let me know!

Welcome to the group, Vatsal.

Question: Did everyone get the e-mail today with the recruiting letter for the MD/MPH 4 year degree? I've been considering this program since the day I interviewed and I am on the verge of applying. Does anyone know the inside scoop on this program? Is it A LOT of extra work; is the extra work worth it? I'm really interested in public health, especially infectious diseases as well as political advocacy...

If any of you have any info/opinions on this program... pls let me know!

I've been considering this option as well, and from what I have heard from Dr. Jones and other physicians I have discussed it with is that an MPH degree would really only be helpful for administrative positions (academia) or as you said, political advocacy. However, public health is becoming a HUGE area of medicine especially in south Texas. I think as time goes on, a dual MD/MPH degree will begin to look more and more attractive to residency programs in areas with large indigent populations as well as increase your chances of obtaining a strong administrative position (residency coordinator, etc.) later in life. Please let me know what you have found out through your research on the topic.

Also, just a side note, Dr. Jones said that everyone that has applied to the program has gotten in...

So I was reading one of the Republic of Texas threads the other day on the pre-allo board and saw it mentioned that the AAMC had recommended to UTHSCSA that it reduce its contact hours. Anyone know if this is true and if so whether there are plans to reduce the amount of class time?

Just wanted to say "hey" to my future classmates. I'm about 99% sure that I'll be with ya'll next year but am holding a few pre-match offers that are making me think... so, if anyone can share what made them choose SA, I would appreciate the boost to get me to 100% :) The comments on this thread have already been really interesting and helpful.. thanks guys!

I guess i'm a little bit of a "non-traditional" student (no husband or babies though) I graduated from Vanderbilt in 2003 and have spent the last 3 years getting a MA in art history and teaching art history. So, if there are any Vandy fans out there ( even though we suck at football its fun to cheer for the underdog) let me know!

Happy Holidays to all you folks out there. So I am curious, how do medical students get to campus? Is there somewhere to park my car, or is riding a bike safe in that area (getting hit by a car is my worry). I am trying to figure out where to live and these play a big part.