UTHSCSA Class of 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ahh, thanks! Got another question (haha, sorry..) for you current medical students: How much do books end up really costing a year/ or semester?

I'll try to break it down some:

1. You will have to buy your course syllabi. It's not an option and it's not included in your tuition. It costs around $800 ($790 to be exact) and it's split into two payments (2 payments of $395), one in the fall and one at the start of spring semesters. Can't get your syllabi without receipt of payment. Your syllabi will have everything the professor's will test you over with the exception of 2 classes.

2. For the most part, you will not need books for your classes even if the syllabi or professors say it's required. (There are exceptions) You can get by soley on the syllabi.

3. Exceptions and break down of prices: (the prices for the textbooks listed are the school's bookstore's price last fall and does not include taxes; you can no doubt find them for cheaper online or used or maybe someone will feel generous and donate their books :oops:)
  • Course syllabi (already mentioned): ~$800 split into two payments. FYI: this is paid at the Dean's office not the bookstore
  • Get a anatomical atlas, like Netters. (You'll need it for anatomy): $75.95
  • Review of Medical Microbiology by Levison (this will mostly be used in the spring semester in microbiology so you can wait and get it then. The syllabus of micro becomes limited in info in the spring and you'll have to refer to the book - this was a change in our class from previous ones who did not have to rely on this textbook): $41.95
  • Physiology by Constanzo (you'll need it for physiology which starts sometime in the fall; the syllabus for this course is practically nil and you'll need the book to pull info from): $54.95
Note: Some students have bought the Board Review Series (BRS): Physiology book instead to use since it's written by the same author
and more concise

4. Recommended book: You'll have so many recommendations or advice from previous students on what books were helpful. It kind of depends on you though. Having lots of references were useful for some who had the time to read through the extra pages and others did just fine or great with the bare minimum. Also, the books that the professors list as required are on reserve at the library so you can always check it out for a few hours, look at the material and return it.

5. Equipment: The school will say you'll need to buy all these equipment for use with interaction with standardize patient for various parts of the physical examination you'll start to learn in your MS1 year. Most students could get by with only having a stethoscope, pocket light, and a visual acuity card. The other equipment listed are in the clinical skill room you saw through your campus tools when you interact with your standardized patients.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow.. thanks so much, I really appreciate it!!! :)

thanks roshario

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha... ok .. another question for current med students. How do you guys deal with the 8-5 classes? Can you still do VERY well without attending the non mandatory classes and studying instead? I ask because I do NOT want to be sitting in class from 8-5.

Haha... ok .. another question for current med students. How do you guys deal with the 8-5 classes? Can you still do VERY well without attending the non mandatory classes and studying instead? I ask because I do NOT want to be sitting in class from 8-5.

I have heard this question many times (maybe on this thread?) and heard the answer, so I feel confident answering even though I'm not there yet.

You don't have to go to class. Especially since the school is now posting all 1st and 2nd year lectures on blackboard. Some people do fine never going to class. It just depends on your personal discipline. However, as far as I understand, a student has to be the one recording the lecture, and I think that all this takes is turning the equipment on and off. So we will have to set up some sort of system on who records.

However, as far as I understand, a student has to be the one recording the lecture, and I think that all this takes is turning the equipment on and off. So we will have to set up some sort of system on who records.

I'm not sure how Dr. Clare (one of you deans) is going to announce this and pick people but if there are a few of you who are really interested in recording, you can send me a message with your name and email. I'll be the one who will show those selected how to use the recording device, access the room, setup, etc. I'll pass your names on to Dr. Clare. Dr. Clare has to approve who will be recording. I wouldn't recommend more than 3 people used for recording and Dr. Clare might not take more than three.

How the other classes have done it so far, for the most part, there was one person for the MS1 and MS2 lectures recording with a couple of backups. For me, it just kept it easier but I've had help from my classmates who were backups for the rare instances I couldn't attend class. I know that at first the MS2 had several people rotating the recordings but it got to be hassle because sometimes one wouldn't show up or would forget, etc. If there is going to be more than one primary recorder, I would make sure you have a solid schedule on who records what and be good at reminding each other via text, email, calling...

this info may be good to put on the facebook group or eventually send out a facebook message about

Students who don't show up to class every day still do fairly well. Just depends on how much effort you want to put in.

Now, esp since anatomy lab is over, there are very few required things to do. This past week, I think I went to uhmm maybe 1-2 classes. As you'd have probably heard numerous times this stuff isn't hard. Just lots of it. If you can sit in class and absorb & retain a significant amount then going to class may be worth it.

It boils down to if you're more efficient learning on your own or not.

Hey Everybody! Once again Congrats on the acceptance! If you are looking for a place, i recommend: Medical Center Apartments 5055 Von Scheele DrSan Antonio, TX 78229. Feel free to message me if you got any questions. I can give you tips on how i bargained with them and Pros and Cons of the place.

email is: [email protected]

Write me down as referral and get at least $199 back! Email for more info

Has anyone seen the MSI schedule for 2008-2009?

After you submit your FASFA how long did it take to recieve your financial aid package from the school?

Never mind I just checked my portfolio and there it was!...Its weird to think that I am going to have more loans in just one year
of medical school than I did my whole undergrad education

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know someone who lives at Promontory Pointe or the Vintage?? I went there this last weekend to check these apartments and other more but I think I need a little more info about these places. Leaving management aside (which I think most people have problems with regardless of where they live), I would like to know if they are consider safe and what the general experience has been throughout their time at these places. I went to apartmentratings.com and the reviews on both were really bad! Other apartments around the medical center were really scary; maybe it will be good so I’m not out and about really late at night!

Anybody else having problems picking a place?

I think that I am going to go with Carlyle Place...did you look there?

So my wife and I just moved into our new house here in San Antonio this past weekend and are thrilled to finally be here!!

yay!
i want to move already... and graduate. this is the last week of classes for me.

Does anybody know someone who lives at Promontory Pointe or the Vintage?? I went there this last weekend to check these apartments and other more but I think I need a little more info about these places. Leaving management aside (which I think most people have problems with regardless of where they live), I would like to know if they are consider safe and what the general experience has been throughout their time at these places. I went to apartmentratings.com and the reviews on both were really bad! Other apartments around the medical center were really scary; maybe it will be good so I’m not out and about really late at night!

Anybody else having problems picking a place?

I looked at both places and liked the Vintage a little more. Parking availability seems better at the Vintage and I think it is a little more secure. Another plus is that it is close enough to walk to class. I'll agree that many of the apartments around the med center were scary. If I was younger I wouldn't mind living in some of the places I visited but I am older and have become spoiled. My appliance have to have been made within the last two decades.

is anyone still looking for a room mate?

So my wife and I just moved into our new house here in San Antonio this past weekend and are thrilled to finally be here!!

Congrats hawk126! I can't wait to move. We're not moving until July, although we're closing on the house in two weeks. I have to make an early trip to paint the nursery that is now pink, because I found out Monday that we're having a boy! It will be a joy to have a few weeks of nothing before classes begin, at least the medical ones.

Congrats hawk126! I can't wait to move. We're not moving until July, although we're closing on the house in two weeks. I have to make an early trip to paint the nursery that is now pink, because I found out Monday that we're having a boy! It will be a joy to have a few weeks of nothing before classes begin, at least the medical ones.

Congrats on a baby boy!!!

To anyone who's received their award letter: any comments on the recommended lenders?

Hi, I'm joining the class of 2012 and was wondering if anyone on SDN is trying to do the 4 year MD/MPH program?
I am currently in Asia (received my acceptance, quit my job, and bought a plane ticket around the world all in the same week) and really cannot find out what is going on with this program. I have internet access, and have the ability to do the summer classes online, but can't even figure out if I'm into the program (the UTlink website just says I have holds). Calling UT Houston is useless because everyone I talk to just says they can't release information over the phone. Is anyone else having trouble with the program?

I went to the Carlyle Place a couple of times while I was in san Antonio, sadly the person from the leasing office had a "medical emergency" I was not able to show up to work. I really wanted to see those, maybe I can make another trip later on. I’m still undecided. I did hear a lot of good reviews about this apartment complex.

Congratulations!!! There are a lot of new things going on in your life! When is the baby due? First one?

I'm taking a trip down to Colombia later this summer, I’m pretty excited about it, it will be some time to relax and do some serious scuba diving...

Hi, I'm joining the class of 2012 and was wondering if anyone on SDN is trying to do the 4 year MD/MPH program?
I am currently in Asia (received my acceptance, quit my job, and bought a plane ticket around the world all in the same week) and really cannot find out what is going on with this program. I have internet access, and have the ability to do the summer classes online, but can't even figure out if I'm into the program (the UTlink website just says I have holds). Calling UT Houston is useless because everyone I talk to just says they can't release information over the phone. Is anyone else having trouble with the program?

Email Dr. Mary Anne Smith. You might have made contact with her already at some point during or just prior to your application process. Explain your situation and she might be able to help you. The official acceptance letters were sent out this week unless you were in the later crowd of applicants. If you don't have her email, just PM me and I'll send it to you.

yes, my utlink said conditional admission. I called to ask what that meant and eventually got a conditional 'yes' on acceptance, but I've yet to receive anything official in the mail. When I call they tell me that it should be coming "soon". I'll try to email Dr. Smith and see if I can get some answers. It would be nice to register since class would begin this month! :eek:

drgop1,
Colombia sounds amazing! Sadly, I'll be held up in the windowless lab until moving day. We're having trouble finding my replacement, so they're trying to hold onto me for as long as possible. This is our first bambino. He's due mid-september which I pray falls after our first round of exams... but probably not :laugh:

yes, my utlink said conditional admission. I called to ask what that meant and eventually got a conditional 'yes' on acceptance, but I've yet to receive anything official in the mail. When I call they tell me that it should be coming "soon". I'll try to email Dr. Smith and see if I can get some answers. It would be nice to register since class would begin this month! :eek:
I passed on the following info to one of your classmate but I'll post it here since you'll have to start on this stuff ASAP.

The letters were only sent out late last week so it's on it's way. Here's what you can do in the mean time to get rid of those holds in order to eventually register. Most of the forms can be faxed and if you're able to fax, I would highly recommend it because it'll really speed up the process.

Background Check
You will not have to do a background check for Houston since you'll be doing one for med school and that will count for Houston so don't worry about it.

Complete Immunization form
File: http://registrar.uth.tmc.edu/Forms/immuform.pdf
Fax it to UT Health Student Services at (713) 500-0605.

You may not have to do this, because the one you do for med school might count but we had to do it last year and there's no word yet of any change. So just do it for now. I would recommend doing it at the same time you're doing yours for med school so you're not making several trips to the clinic for the doc to fill out the forms.
(Here's the link for the UTHSCSA immunization form if you don't have it handy: http://studentservices.uthscsa.edu/pdf/ImmunizationRecord.pdf)

Complete Residency form
Here's a link to what residency form you'll fill out based on your residency status: http://registrar.uth.tmc.edu/Service...html#Residency
Fax it to UT Registrar at (713) 500-3356.

Verify Your Health Insurance Status
You're tuition will automatically include a set amount for student health insurance. If you already have insurance, you'll need to verify it so that amount can be removed. Here's the link to the online verification: http://ae.uth.tmc.edu/info/Student_InsForm.html

Tuition
I'm not sure if you guys will get the extra money in time for summer classes. None of us did last year. (sucks, yeah I know). I would recommend contacting Rob Lawson at UTHSCSA at [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][email protected] .and explain your money situation (he's pretty familiar with the MD/MPH dilemia). Mention the emergency loans that UTHSCSA offers because that might be your only option if you don't have extra cash on hand. Contact him ASAP as your tuition is due the Fri (May 16) before classes start on May 19. If you have limited money available, I would do a installment plan for you tuition once you've registered for your class.

Hope this helps.

I passed on the following info to one of your classmate but I'll post it here since you'll have to start on this stuff ASAP.
Hope this helps.

Roshario, you're the greatest! :D

Happy Friday to all -- especially those with finals and such approaching! I have one next week, and I'm done.

I forgot to mention for those in the MD/MPH program to register:

Transcripts
If you haven't already sent in all your OFFICIAL school transcripts, send them to the following:

UTHSC-Houston
Office of the Registrar
P.O. Box 20036
Houston, TX 77225

I know that to expedite the application process, you were able to send in unofficial copies of your school transcripts to be followed up with official transcripts. Make sure you get all those sent it.

Hi All!

Any incoming students considering participating in the program to graduate with distinction in research? Any students currently in the program? Have you been able to publish your work?

Hi All!

Any incoming students considering participating in the program to graduate with distinction in research? Any students currently in the program? Have you been able to publish your work?

Welcome wchanc! I thought about the distinction in research, but I don't know that I can handle it. I remembered hearing that some of our classmates have already begun contacting some UTHSCSA prof's about potential projects during Welcome Weekend. I would think with your engineering background -- you could do some cool stuff (ortho/prostethic research, etc). Do you have a research interest already?

Welcome wchanc! I thought about the distinction in research, but I don't know that I can handle it. I remembered hearing that some of our classmates have already begun contacting some UTHSCSA prof's about potential projects during Welcome Weekend. I would think with your engineering background -- you could do some cool stuff (ortho/prostethic research, etc). Do you have a research interest already?

Drumdoc, I like the way you think.. Ortho research could be a nice fit. There is some talk that basic science research is a bit more impressive for the residency admins than clinical, but I think just getting your work published trumps all.

Where do I need to send my official transcript to now that I have finished my undergrad classes??

Where do I need to send my official transcript to now that I have finished my undergrad classes??

Send final official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended to:
UT Health Science Center at San Antonio
Registrar's Office MSC 7702
7703 Floyd Curl Dr.
San Antonio, Texas 78229-3900​

Sorry if it has been covered before, but how is grading done at UTHSCSA for 1st and 2nd year? Are you ranked and if so, are you ever able to find out your rank? Thanks in advance guys, you've all been so helpful!

Sorry if it has been covered before, but how is grading done at UTHSCSA for 1st and 2nd year? Are you ranked and if so, are you ever able to find out your rank? Thanks in advance guys, you've all been so helpful!

You're graded on a 4.0 system. It's only A, B, C..etc. There is no +/- system (i.e. A+ vs. A-).
A = 4.0
B = 3.0
C = well you get the idea

Each of your classes counts for so many hours and they'll give you a handout that lists how many credit hours your classes are for over the course of the year.

You are ranked each year and at the end of each year you'll receive your ranking. We have not received ours yet as they say we shouldn't expect it until mid summer.

Thanks so much again!

Umz, have you had a chance to go check the neighborhood out? I heard some apartment complexes around the med school are shady.... I am planning on coming to SA in a few weeks and heard good things about Carlyle place, and will probably try and get an apartment there.

Thanks so much again!

Umz, have you had a chance to go check the neighborhood out? I heard some apartment complexes around the med school are shady.... I am planning on coming to SA in a few weeks and heard good things about Carlyle place, and will probably try and get an apartment there.

I went to the Carlyle Place and liked the service and the amenities more then the apartment itself, but is a very good complex overall. I would live there but I’m planning to move to broadstone colonade (about 8-10mins form school) I’m still on the waiting list on this complex so just in case they don’t get me the apartment I want I will lease with the Carlyle place. I personally didn’t like the area around the school; they do have some shady scary apartments and few others nice and well kept. I liked The vintage, it looks nice and safe but too much money for the square footage and what they have to offer, I also liked promontory Pointe, the apartments are huge! But someone told me they were having often break ins (I believe they are located next to some Sector 8 or something like that). I saw nice complexes on the east side of I10, newer at most. Didn’t really like anything on medical drive, or the apartments behind the school. I know I can get somewhat picky but my wife is coming down with me and I want peace of mind in case I have to stay longer hours at school. I wish you the best with your apartment search it can get very exhausting!!!!

Hey. Yes, I went there during welcome weekend. I went to several of the places around the medical school, and this seemed like the best choice. It's ratings are way better than the Vintage, and it's a bit cheaper. They have really good amenities (a very nice pool, workout room, dvd check out, washer & dryer in the apartment). And one really nice thing was that when I visited, the gates were enforced. I am used to college apartments where the gates are constantly open or extremely easy to get into..here they have your face on a camera when you drive up and try to get in as a guest. So it seemed as secure as you can get.

I didn't notice anything bad about the neighborhood. It seemed really close to the health center park area, if I remember correctly.

The only thing is that the apartments are a bit dull on the inside. The cabinetry are just kinda, meh, and the carpet is really cheap looking. They have an option where you can possibly get hard linoleum floors, and I tried pretty hard to get this because I have 2 dogs, but the person just kept telling me that they don't really care if I ruin the carpet because that is what the nonrefundable pet deposit is for. I'd rather not ruin carpet, but whatever. Hopefully my doggys will be good and have no accidents!

ps they have free cookies in the lobby everyday

Thanks a lot guys. I am trying to narrow it all down as much as possible before I go because I will not have much time to spend looking for an apt... work owns me :x

According to an email we received, our fitness center construction should start this summer!

Plus for all of you looking forward to join a gym, we're going to have access to all the Spectrum gyms until our fitness center opens!

According to an email we received, our fitness center construction should start this summer!

Plus for all of you looking forward to join a gym, we're going to have access to all the Spectrum gyms until our fitness center opens!

What, exactly, are the "Spectrum gyms"? Is that just like, the dental gym, etc?
I'm excited about the new fitness center!

And class list came out today.. go check it out.

Spectrum is the name of a chain of gyms. They're on par with Gold's Gym, so we're talking about high quality fitness centers. If you have any more questions, check out your Outlook Access Email and check out the details.

Nice!!! Looking forward to working out at the Spectrum gym. Anyone else into weightlifting here?

Also, I realized I have my bacterial meningitis form lying around still along with the immunization forms.. was there any deadline to that stuff?

All I know is that I had a bar on my inside.uthscsa page until I turned the immunizations in, so they probably wont let you register until you have that. Besides that I don't think there was/is a deadline.

I was looking at the application for the Distinction in Research Program and it seems pretty lengthy! (that if I was looking at the right info). I would like to hear some opinions of students already in the program. I want to do research but I also want to dedicate plenty of time to classes. What will matter most: No Research and very good grades, or research and average grades? Does anybody know someone in the program?

I was looking at the application for the Distinction in Research Program and it seems pretty lengthy! (that if I was looking at the right info). I would like to hear some opinions of students already in the program. I want to do research but I also want to dedicate plenty of time to classes. What will matter most: No Research and very good grades, or research and average grades? Does anybody know someone in the program?

Good question. I myself was wondering when are we supposed to conduct this research (how is our schedule manipulated so we can accommodate getting enough data via research to publish a peer reviewed manuscript)?