UTHSCSA Class of 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
bump from page 2.

has anyone heard about where the friday night "unofficial reception at local restaurant" is going to be for the welcome weekend?

Members don't see this ad.

bump from page 2.

has anyone heard about where the friday night "unofficial reception at local restaurant" is going to be for the welcome weekend?

I've heard (not confirmed) that they are having some sort of margarita reception at school and then an "after party" of sorts at a nearby local bar. This is only something that was mentioned in conversion today so I'm not sure how reliable the info is or if it'll change.

Does anyone have any advice about medical insurance? Is there any reason not to go with United Healthcare?

Annnnnd, on the form we have to fill out, do I check all 3 (fall, spring, and summer) under "verification term" ?? I don't really know what that means.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any advice about medical insurance? Is there any reason not to go with United Healthcare?

Annnnnd, on the form we have to fill out, do I check all 3 (fall, spring, and summer) under "verification term" ?? I don't really know what that means.

I was talking to someone (I didnt get her name) at the school about financial aid and I randomly mentioned the united healthcare insurance and she said that alot of people did not really like the plan because it did not cover very much... I didn't ask a lot of detail because I wasnt planning on getting it and we were mostly talking about something else, but you might want to look into it a bit if it is not your only option... I know that is really vauge and I prolly just made things slightly more stressful but it might be worth looking into

I was talking to someone (I didnt get her name) at the school about financial aid and I randomly mentioned the united healthcare insurance and she said that alot of people did not really like the plan because it did not cover very much... I didn't ask a lot of detail because I wasnt planning on getting it and we were mostly talking about something else, but you might want to look into it a bit if it is not your only option... I know that is really vauge and I prolly just made things slightly more stressful but it might be worth looking into

Well... I actually have insurance under my parents still. The way it's set up, they pay the same price to cover all their children, so if they drop me, they don't save any money. So there is no reason I should stop being covered by them. However, I really hate the insurance. It's Scott & White and it's a hassle for me to find a doctor that will take it. Right now I live close enough to go in Round Rock or my home town, which has a S&W clinic. Also, this plan doesn't cover dental or prescriptions. I can't remember if the United covers dental, but I know it covers prescriptions. It might be worth it to me to pay the extra money for rx and not worrying about driving 3 hours to go to a doctor visit, and then if anything serious happens and I need surgery or something, use my insurance with my parents.

Thanks for your input! I need to just go sit down and read the whole policy. But right now I must go write a paper. :thumbdown:

I am a MS4 moving to California for residency. My wife and I are selling our condo, which is minutes from the medical school. See info below if interested.

Good luck and welcome to UTHSCSA!

--------------------------------

1621 sq. ft. condo in the HEART of the San Antonio Medical Center. Located in the quiet THE ROANOKE community, this unit is perfect for students or residents.

The unit is located just STEPS from the pool-- it's like having your own pool in your backyard! The pool fountain provides for very serene ambience from your patio.

Interior features include: Breakfast area, Carpet (upstairs), Dishwasher, Wood-Burning Fireplace, Microwave, Range and Oven, Refrigerator, Security features (including alarm and surround lighting), Italian Tile flooring throughout the downstairs, Utility room, and Washer/dryer hookups, patio.

Exterior community features include: Fencing around the community, Gutters, Level lot, Patio, Waterview, clubhouse(s), recreation facilities, spa/hot tub, and swimming pool(s).

For additional information, go to http://sabor.fnismls.com/publink/default.asp?GUID=5b5acfa9-e2b6-486a-9b05-4390073b3261&Report=Yes

MLS ID# 702535

is everyone on this thread planning on attending the friday night social for the welcome weekend?

i'm pretty sure my girlfriend and i will be attending. I'm just curious as to how many people are also going. Plus, I'm just really excited to start meeting my future classmates!

is everyone on this thread planning on attending the friday night social for the welcome weekend?

i'm pretty sure my girlfriend and i will be attending. I'm just curious as to how many people are also going. Plus, I'm just really excited to start meeting my future classmates!

my boyfriend and i are going

My wife, my daughter and I will be there.

Ill be there too, but I'll be alone cause the wife will be in florida

Drumdoc, sprechen Sie deutsch?

Unfortunately, not. I remember a few songs and nouns but that's about it.

I'll be there Friday night w/ my wife. can't wait.

Question to all the UTHSCSA vets who look in on this thread:

After reading a thread about medical school syllabi in the allo forum, I'm curious about how comprehensive our syllabi will be.

Are test questions taken directly from the syllabi exclusively? Do some lecturers pull ?'s from BRS books, etc.? Will there be some testable content introduced in lecture that's not included in the syllabi? If we know the syllabi cold, are we golden or will there be surprises on test day if we choose not to be class-goers? Thanks!!

After reading a thread about medical school syllabi in the allo forum, I'm curious about how comprehensive our syllabi will be.

Are test questions taken directly from the syllabi exclusively? Do some lecturers pull ?'s from BRS books, etc.? Will there be some testable content introduced in lecture that's not included in the syllabi? If we know the syllabi cold, are we golden or will there be surprises on test day if we choose not to be class-goers? Thanks!!

great questions :thumbup:

:corny:

Members don't see this ad :)

Physiology is the only class that pulls info out of the required text because the syllabus is not completely comprehensive and it just augments the reading assignments. You have weekly quizzes for Physiology, and I noticed that there were points that the professors emphasized during the lectures that showed up on the quizzes. Besides that class, you don't need any other textbook....well, except a Netters or some sort of human anatomy altas for anatomy. All the info is pulled from the syllabus and a lot of people don't come to lectures or at least pick and choose which lectures to attend (depending on how well the professor gives a lecture) and they do well on the tests. Yes, there are people who buy all the books for references (like me, since I don't pay for it :) ), but if you want to get more info for a topic you're having a hard time with, all the "required/ recommended" books by the teachers are on reserve in the library. So you can check it out for a few hours and look at what you need and return it without burning a hole in your bank account. There are books that students will recommend like certain BRS books that are a good overview but it's not necessary. So if you don't want to buy the books and don't want to come to lectures, go for it!! Some people learn better that way.

Physiology is the only class that pulls info out of the required text because the syllabus is not completely comprehensive and it just augments the reading assignments. You have weekly quizzes for Physiology, and I noticed that there were points that the professors emphasized during the lectures that showed up on the quizzes. Besides that class, you don't need any other textbook....well, except a Netters or some sort of human anatomy altas for anatomy. All the info is pulled from the syllabus and a lot of people don't come to lectures or at least pick and choose which lectures to attend (depending on how well the professor gives a lecture) and they do well on the tests. Yes, there are people who buy all the books for references (like me, since I don't pay for it :) ), but if you want to get more info for a topic you're having a hard time with, all the "required/ recommended" books by the teachers are on reserve in the library. So you can check it out for a few hours and look at what you need and return it without burning a hole in your bank account. There are books that students will recommend like certain BRS books that are a good overview but it's not necessary. So if you don't want to buy the books and don't want to come to lectures, go for it!! Some people learn better that way.

Great info!! Thanks for your input. I really want to do well grade-wise during years 1 & 2 as (at this point anyway) I'm interested in some relatively competitive fields, but it's also mucho importante that I spend time with my wife and daughter... so it's starting to sound like I won't be the assiduous class-goer that I was as a post-bacc student.

Speaking of not paying for textbooks, what's the story with scholarships? I've heard that some awards are made in May with the rest of the financial aid stuff, but also that $ is given out in the fall as well... Any insight as to the process? Is $ reserved primarily for folks who demonstrate need or are there merit based awards as well? Do they spread $ out amongst many students or will there be a lucky few who receive full-rides? Not that I'm anticipating any scholarship moollah (my UG GPA is terrible), but I'm curious nonetheless. Thanks in advance!!

Great info!! Thanks for your input. I really want to do well grade-wise during years 1 & 2 as (at this point anyway) I'm interested in some relatively competitive fields, but it's also mucho importante that I spend time with my wife and daughter... so it's starting to sound like I won't be the assiduous class-goer that I was as a post-bacc student.

Speaking of not paying for textbooks, what's the story with scholarships? I've heard that some awards are made in May with the rest of the financial aid stuff, but also that $ is given out in the fall as well... Any insight as to the process? Is $ reserved primarily for folks who demonstrate need or are there merit based awards as well? Do they spread $ out amongst many students or will there be a lucky few who receive full-rides? Not that I'm anticipating any scholarship moollah (my UG GPA is terrible), but I'm curious nonetheless. Thanks in advance!!

Don't forget about the podcasting. You can listen to them from the luxury of your home as you spend time with the family. :thumbup:

As for the scholarships, I'm not too familiar with what the school gives out. I know they have some money for that but I'm 99% that they don't give a 100% tuition paid scholarship. Here's the link to SOM scholarship which isn't much info. There is an online application but this is for last year. So maybe you can email the financial aid office to ask for the new application for your incoming class. http://studentservices.uthscsa.edu/financialinfo/scholarships.html#Medicine

Don't forget about the podcasting. You can listen to them from the luxury of your home as you spend time with the family. :thumbup:

As for the scholarships, I'm not too familiar with what the school gives out. I know they have some money for that but I'm 99% that they don't give a 100% tuition paid scholarship. Here's the link to SOM scholarship which isn't much info. There is an online application but this is for last year. So maybe you can email the financial aid office to ask for the new application for your incoming class. http://studentservices.uthscsa.edu/financialinfo/scholarships.html#Medicine

When we accepted our spot, they had us check a box that allows them to use our regular application for scholarship purposes. So maybe we don't have to fill out a new app? That's what I thought it meant.

When we accepted our spot, they had us check a box that allows them to use our regular application for scholarship purposes. So maybe we don't have to fill out a new app? That's what I thought it meant.

True. I remember checking a box too. I wonder why they had a separate application online for us last year. I didn't know about that online one until I searched for it yesterday.

True. I remember checking a box too. I wonder why they had a separate application online for us last year. I didn't know about that online one until I searched for it yesterday.

IIRC, the online app is for current students and not entering students.

I should be studying for micro next Monday.. And now back to ... Planet clostridium. :corny:

for all the people who arent in the facebook group, here is the message i received about the dinner this friday:

What´s up everyoneeeee!
Ready for Welcome Weekend???
So... many of you have been asking where our Friday social will be. I´ve heard from MS1s that we might have a social in the School of Medicine at 7pm and then the after party at 9pm at "The View - Tequila Bar". I emailed Belinda Chapa asking her for details. I´ll let you know ASAP what she says.
This is the address for "The View":
8647 Wurzbach Rd, SA, 78240
If you are on I-10, exit Wurzbach and the View will be on your right...if you pass Fredericksburg, you went too far.
So get ready for this weekend, MS0s!!! Can´t wait to meet y´all!

I dont know if any of you are going to be in san antonio on thursday night, but I am planning on going up to the flying saucer with a buddy and i'm thowing out an invite to anyone who would like to join us.

If there is anyone out there who is looking for a house, I am a current MSIV looking to sell. It is a newer home (less than 3 years old), 2 BR, 2 bath, large kitchen, w/ garage and decent sized yard. Good if you have pets. Located about 25 min from campus. You will save ALOT of money because it is priced much less than what you will find around medical center (<100k). My payments are only about $800 a month and that includes insurance and taxes. If you are interested PM me and I will send you a link to see pictures and more details. I will also give you the contact info of my realtor.

How are you guys getting in contact with John Strieb? I e-mailed him with some questions with no response... did you guys call him? Thanks in advance for any help!

i haven't tried yet.

but just to let everyone know, your award amounts are posted on the inside uthscsa page.

i haven't tried yet.

but just to let everyone know, your award amounts are posted on the inside uthscsa page.
once on inside uthscsa page, where or what do we click on?

once on inside uthscsa page, where or what do we click on?

• around top click hand corner click link "Student Administration"
  • Then click on "SA Self Service"
  • Click on "Learner Services"
  • Click on "Finances"
  • Click on "View My Financial Aid"
  • Select your aid year and if you have been awarded anything yet, it should show up

Ok, I did all that... and I see some stuff... how do we interpret what's there (obviously I am a complete newb :p)?

Ok, I did all that... and I see some stuff... how do we interpret what's there (obviously I am a complete newb :p)?

Hmmmmm.....Not sure since I didn't get any financial aid.

Wellllllllll...you may have some grant money (I have TPEG on mine?). I think the max on that one is $1,500. And then you have federal subsidized, i think the max you can get is $8,500. And then unsubsidized, which I think should cover the remainder of the estimated cost. Subsidized is the loan that the government pays interest on while still in school.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong about any of this.

"The Texas Public Education Grant (TPEG) is a grant designed to help a student cover his/her tuition, fees, and textbook costs when these expenses exceed the Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) reported on their Student Aid Report."

"Both subsidized and unsubsidized loans are guaranteed by the U.S. Department of Education either directly or through guarantee agencies. Nearly all students are eligible to receive them (regardless of credit score or other financial issues)."

"Subsidized federal student loans are offered to students with a demonstrated financial need. Financial need may vary from school to school. For these loans, the federal government makes interest payments while the student is in college. For example, those who borrow $10,000 during college will owe $10,000 upon graduation.

Unsubsidized federal student loans are also guaranteed by the U.S. Government, but the government does not pay interest for the student, rather the interest accrues during college. Those who borrow $10,000 during college will owe $10,000 plus interest upon graduation. For example, those who have borrowed $10,000 and had $2,000 accrue in interest will owe $12,000. Interest will begin accruing on the $12,000. The accrued interest will be "capitalized" into the loan amount, and the borrower will begin making payments on the accumulated total."

Welcome weekend was a blast! House hunting went fairly well and I'm hoping to hear confirmation on an offer today.

Did anyone here apply for the MPH as well?

Who else got the Financial Aid letter in the mail recently?

On another note... who has already found a nice place to live near the school? I'm looking for a place for myself, so if you guys have any suggestions on where to look I'm sure me and others would be very grateful. Thanks!

.In case you are still looking for a great place to live.....
Villas of Northgate, just off Babcock and Hamilton Wolfe. * 3 Bedroom 2.5 Bath * .
.Gated community, many students in neighborhood * Deluxe Home Theater–10 foot screen & projector * Private swimming pool and deck in back yard * Renter receives use of bedroom plus a second room (a study) * 1350 sq/ft * Share with 4th year medical student – free study tips and a large library of books * Amenities: new Whirlpool washer, new Whirlpool dryer, new Whirlpool refrigerator, microwave, eat-in kitchen, central A/C & heating * Great deal for bedroom, home theater, pool, and study!! $495/mo. ..321-514-5231. ..Available June 1st.

Who else got the Financial Aid letter in the mail recently?

On another note... who has already found a nice place to live near the school? I'm looking for a place for myself, so if you guys have any suggestions on where to look I'm sure me and others would be very grateful. Thanks!

I did. I'm just a little bit disappointed to know that I won’t be one of the lucky few sharing the thousands available for scholarships. I still don’t know if I should max out my loans this year, pay tuition, have an emergency fund and money available for other Med School related things. Or just get the tuition part. My wife will be having a good paying job once we start school. Also, do any of you guys know any bank with any good incentives?

I also got my financial aid letter in the mail last week.

My girlfriend and I just signed a lease on renting a house! I suggest the community we're going to live in to anyone still looking to either buying or renting a home. The community is called Rockewell Village and it's on Medical past Babcock. The community is less than a five minute drive to campus.

I got my financial stuff too. No scholarships, but there was a small grant. I wonder who even gets a scholarship(s)?

I was in the process of buying a condo but I think I'm just going to end up renting. I'm looking at Carlyle Place. It has some good amenities and is really close.

Just a quick question, Are you guys able to check your holds and financial information on the portal? Or can you at least get passed the Student Administration link? Let me know, I was about to call IR at the school but I don’t want too get too ahead of myself...
Thanks

I'm able to see my holds and get passed Student Administration. It's a pop-up window, though, so you may have it blocked.

I'm able to see my holds and get passed Student Administration. It's a pop-up window, though, so you may have it blocked.

It actually redirects my browser to a different window and tells me that my ID and Password are invalid. Thanks anyway I’m calling them tomorrow.

It actually redirects my browser to a different window and tells me that my ID and Password are invalid. Thanks anyway I’m calling them tomorrow.

Just called and got it fixed...

thanks

sooooooo

what's going on every one?

i just realized this past week that i really want to do the md/mph thing. i've emailed some people to see if it's at all possible (maybe if i start late?).. i think last year they had some MS1s apply, so maybe I could start next summer?

anyone here doing the mph?

sooooooo

what's going on every one?

i just realized this past week that i really want to do the md/mph thing. i've emailed some people to see if it's at all possible (maybe if i start late?).. i think last year they had some MS1s apply, so maybe I could start next summer?

anyone here doing the mph?

The MS1's that applied last year were those that were going to repeat their MS1 year (so now they're c/o 2011 rather than c/o 2010). They were only retaking a couple of MD courses and so they front loaded their MPH courses. Maybe they'll let you start next Spring. If not and they make you wait a whole other year to get started in the program, they'll probably advise you to take a year off somewhere down the line to complete your MPH courses because it will be unlikely you'll be able to finish your MPH in the three remaining med school years.

Good luck!

The MS1's that applied last year were those that were going to repeat their MS1 year (so now they're c/o 2011 rather than c/o 2010). They were only retaking a couple of MD courses and so they front loaded their MPH courses. Maybe they'll let you start next Spring. If not and they make you wait a whole other year to get started in the program, they'll probably advise you to take a year off somewhere down the line to complete your MPH courses because it will be unlikely you'll be able to finish your MPH in the three remaining med school years.

Good luck!

That's what I was thinking. I am really kicking myself for not applying when I had the chance.

Just a few words from an old fart about financial aid. Take for what its worth.

-Your student loans are an investment in your future. Think of them as this. there are many many reasons why they are very different from credit card debt, etc. You are investing in the development of your career.

-your student loans are non-inheritable. this means, that if something happens to you (aka you die/become unalbe to workas an md), your family does not have to pay for these.

-you may end up getting yourself into trouble when you try and defer during residency (you really shouldln't try and pay these of in residency) wiht regards to 'economic hardship' if you don't have ENOUGH of a loan burden. (I know several people who did this) that is because this financial deferrment is based on your income to loan ratio. So you might want to consider taking the maximum amount and using the 'extra' you didn't need wisely.

-you will be able to consilidiate these when you get out.

So I got a question.. what does TPEG medical mean? (referring to one of the awards listed on the financial aid).

Anyone know of any upperclassman (i.e. 4th years who are leaving) that are selling furniture (couches, tables, etc)?