UT-Houston School Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yeah, I got mine early last week.

Members don't see this ad.

hope everyone's summer is nice and sweltering just like mine. taking a short breather from camp and just got the buddy match e-mail. oh well, better late than never. see you guys in august.

Members don't see this ad :)
are you guys going to join the AMA as well?

Looks like the 4 year deal is the best and you get a free gift. This raises the question of which free gift to choose. Any input anyone?

Does anyone know if scrubs are preferred for Anatomy lab? Is anyone else buying the UT scrubs offered by the AMA chapter?

I'm definitely planning on wearing scrubs in lab, but I was assuming (or at least hoping) that they would provide us with scrubs.

I don't think I'll be getting the AMA ones.

Looks like the 4 year deal is the best and you get a free gift. This raises the question of which free gift to choose. Any input anyone?

Does anyone know if scrubs are preferred for Anatomy lab? Is anyone else buying the UT scrubs offered by the AMA chapter?
What gifts are being offered this year? They change every year. The scrubs are a new thing.

I'm definitely planning on wearing scrubs in lab, but I was assuming (or at least hoping) that they would provide us with scrubs.

I don't think I'll be getting the AMA ones.
Yeah, definitely wear scrubs or some outfit that you don't mind sacrificing because the smell never comes out! But the school doesn't provide you with free scrubs. That's okay because there are tons of scrub stores within a 1 mi radius of the school.

I had this strange dream last night that I reapplied and re-interviewed for next year (while starting first year) to try to get a scholarship.

Freud says that all dreams are instances of unconscious wish-fulfillment. Clearly some are easier to interpret than others.

It's a myth that the anatomy lab smell never comes out; I washed my scrubs consistently right after wearing them in lab and they smell fine now. Perhaps it's a crapshoot, I don't know. I'm still glad I wore them instead of real clothes though. You don't want to get splashed with gallons of a water/formaldehyde/cadaver-juice solution by accident when you're wearing anything that you won't mind having to throw away if necessary.

What gifts are being offered this year? They change every year.

they are offering a free dissection kit or Stedman's Dictionary or Netter's gross anatomy flashcards (electronic or paper).

Freud says that all dreams are instances of unconscious wish-fulfillment. Clearly some are easier to interpret than others.

It's a myth that the anatomy lab smell never comes out; I washed my scrubs consistently right after wearing them in lab and they smell fine now. Perhaps it's a crapshoot, I don't know. I'm still glad I wore them instead of real clothes though. You don't want to get splashed with gallons of a water/formaldehyde/cadaver-juice solution by accident when you're wearing anything that you won't mind having to throw away if necessary.

yeah, i never had a problem getting the smell out either, but i was also never slimed with the juice. Make sure all your lab and study partners know how to put down the cadaver so that you don't make an epic splash (I saw a HUGE one that even misted me. G-ross)

Looks like UTLINK is updated so we can view our class schedules, financial aid etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
is there anything saying what day our exams will be this year?

this link is still showing last year's info

It took me 10 minutes of searching to find my old post to quote but it was worth it. It's updated on a regular basis. I would not trust any departmental or class sites to remain up-to-date since it's not a priority of the course administrators for some reason.

-Here's the official academic calendar for this and next semester: linky. You may have to futz around to find your own; the year and class settings are top left, and the month scroller is just below the filter box.

e: well that bit me in the ass.

Where do you see that? What options are available under "Term"?

For me under Term there is an option for Medical Yr 2009-10. If you don't see it, then I'm guessing maybe they will update yours when your financial aid is posted. I can see all of that info now.

For me under Term there is an option for Medical Yr 2009-10. If you don't see it, then I'm guessing maybe they will update yours when your financial aid is posted. I can see all of that info now.
Yep, still waiting on that option. Pretty cool that you have it already, though. You're official!

edit: I have it too, now :)

Last edited:
damn, they're expensive.

Considering all the manhandling they have to endure I sure hope they are relatively well-paid. I'm guessing the SPs for the genitorectal and female pelvic exam are even better-compensated. It would take a small fortune for me to stand around while a handful of students stared at my junk, then half a dozen or more awkwardly tried to feel up a prostate. Ugh.

Considering all the manhandling they have to endure I sure hope they are relatively well-paid. I'm guessing the SPs for the genitorectal and female pelvic exam are even better-compensated. It would take a small fortune for me to stand around while a handful of students stared at my junk, then half a dozen or more awkwardly tried to feel up a prostate. Ugh.
do we see them in first year?

do we see them in first year?
Yep. You will practice doing a physical exam (but not genitorectal/pelvic exam) and taking a history on them during 1st year.

edit: what's the deal with parking at the zoo? is that practical/possible as a free parking option if you don't live close enough to take a bus/shuttle/metrorail?

Last edited:
ok, I'm going to continue spamming this thread because this is stressing me out. I've never had to rely on public transportation before

http://wikimapia.org/960396/One-Montreal-Place

that link shows where UT student housing is. across the street are some apartments like Parque View and Archstone.

do any students have experience (or have friends with experience) with living at Parque View or somewhere really close to there (Harvest Hill, Scotland Yard, etc)? If so, HOW do you get to class?

I'm in the PreEntry program right now, and have been using the zoo for parking. It is about a 15min walk to class. However, the zoo doesn't open up the parking lot until 8:30, which would rule out parking there on many of the class days where we start at 8:00. During the school year you can purchase parking at the South Campus lot (right across the street from the rec center) for I think around 150.00 a semester, and then ride the shuttle to the med school (15-20min ride). Definitely a good idea to buy afterhours parking pass at UT Professional building. 30.00 for parking after 5 and on the weekends.

edit: what's the deal with parking at the zoo? is that practical/possible as a free parking option if you don't live close enough to take a bus/shuttle/metrorail?

ok, I'm going to continue spamming this thread because this is stressing me out. I've never had to rely on public transportation before

http://wikimapia.org/960396/One-Montreal-Place

that link shows where UT student housing is. across the street are some apartments like Parque View and Archstone.

do any students have experience (or have friends with experience) with living at Parque View or somewhere really close to there (Harvest Hill, Scotland Yard, etc)? If so, HOW do you get to class?

don't live at parque view! i live at one montreal place :) woohoo! (except barky dogs)

Yeah, I think I made a U-turn in the Parque View leasing office.

Hey Army, I used to park in the museum district area around caroline and southmore and walk a block to the rail. It was free, and only took 15 minutes tops to get to UT-Houston. If you catch the rail right on time, you could get there in 5. I had no problem parking there everyday of the week.

Nice to hear about other parking options. I thought I was going to have to bite the bullet on parking somewhere.

Hey Army, I used to park in the museum district area around caroline and southmore and walk a block to the rail. It was free, and only took 15 minutes tops to get to UT-Houston. If you catch the rail right on time, you could get there in 5. I had no problem parking there everyday of the week.
good info, thanks.

I google mapped it - I guess you just parked on the side of the streets there? there don't appear to be any lots or anything.

Yea i just parked on the street, I wish I knew the exact spot. It is on the same street that the Holocaust museum is on just further away from the med center. The walk to the rail-stop was easy and the rail is dirt cheap.

Yea i just parked on the street, I wish I knew the exact spot. It is on the same street that the Holocaust museum is on just further away from the med center. The walk to the rail-stop was easy and the rail is dirt cheap.
stupid question.. how do you pay when you're on the rail? do they have a ticket booth?

Caroline,

stupid question.. how do you pay when you're on the rail? do they have a ticket booth?
There's a ticket booth before u get on, but no turnstile or anything. You could probably not buy a ticket and ride fro free, at the DT station they usually have metro cops checking, not sure how often in the med center. buy a upass from UTH and just refill it that way, then u scan it before u get on and no dealing with tickets, etc.

Caroline,

There's a ticket booth before u get on, but no turnstile or anything. You could probably not buy a ticket and ride fro free, at the DT station they usually have metro cops checking, not sure how often in the med center. buy a upass from UTH and just refill it that way, then u scan it before u get on and no dealing with tickets, etc.

Yea when they check you, if you have a pass thats all they look at. It's not having a pass or a ticket that will get you into trouble.

Yea when they check you, if you have a pass thats all they look at. It's not having a pass or a ticket that will get you into trouble.
I have to disagree with you. If you have a Qcard (the plastic card that's like a debit card for riding the buses and rail in Houston), the cops on the rail make you give the card to them and they have a little portable machine to check to see if you've paid with the card.

I've been on the rail multiple times when the cops are checking everyone's cards. I've seen them get pretty grouchy with people who haven't paid with their card, but I've never seen them write a ticket. I have heard that they do that, though.

I have to disagree with you. If you have a Qcard (the plastic card that's like a debit card for riding the buses and rail in Houston), the cops on the rail make you give the card to them and they have a little portable machine to check to see if you've paid with the card.

I've been on the rail multiple times when the cops are checking everyone's cards. I've seen them get pretty grouchy with people who haven't paid with their card, but I've never seen them write a ticket. I have heard that they do that, though.

That's odd, I've been checked on the train a handful of times and they just wanted to see the ticket/Q-card. Maybe it was a fuller car or something. I've seen inspections mainly at the Rice U. and TMC transit center stations.

Even stupider question: how do you pay for the bus? I've actually never ridden a bus before :oops:

When you enter a Metro bus, there is also a 'station' to pay at the front. You either tap your Q card on the designated spot, or you can also pay in cash (exact change ideally). Local fare is $1.25, but there are advantages to using the Q card. That and more is detailed here if you haven't seen it already: https://www.ridemetro.org/FareInfo/Default.aspx

Most (local) buses also have a Q-card reloading station near the rear exit of the bus, where you can also put money (via cash) back onto the card.

When you enter a Metro bus, there is also a 'station' to pay at the front. You either tap your Q card on the designated spot, or you can also pay in cash (exact change ideally). Local fare is $1.25, but there are advantages to using the Q card. That and more is detailed here if you haven't seen it already: https://www.ridemetro.org/FareInfo/Default.aspx

Most (local) buses also have a Q-card reloading station near the rear exit of the bus, where you can also put money (via cash) back onto the card.
awesome, thanks. I filled out some form about getting a Q card yesterday. not sure if that means they'll mail me one or something, but I will definitely be getting one.

Soooo, a costume party? Looks like I'll need to break out my sexy nurse costume... :thumbup:

That's odd, I've been checked on the train a handful of times and they just wanted to see the ticket/Q-card. Maybe it was a fuller car or something. I've seen inspections mainly at the Rice U. and TMC transit center stations.
Really? I've never seen them have inspections at the transit center stations. All of my experiences involved approx. 5-7 Metro police actually in the train. They never seem to get out of the train. They wait until the train leaves before they start the inspections so that way you can't get off and hide.

In other news...almost a month til MS1s and MS2s start school!! The LRC is painfully quiet these days. :p

Is anyone on this thread doing the MD/MPH program? I had a ton of questions about it but am not sure who to ask...

anyone else get the email today about the white coat being swtiched so our families can come? my mom is excited, that's for sure! :thumbup:

anyone else get the email today about the white coat being swtiched so our families can come? my mom is excited, that's for sure! :thumbup:

Got it. I sort of figured they'd work it out. Med students are the squeaky wheels in undergrad, so I doubt they'd want to deal with 200+ of us :laugh: