UT-Houston School Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We were surprised because we tried to get there ~3:30, figuring we'd miss the lunch crowd and beat the dinner crowd, but it was packed. Everyone was in country garb, so I assume they were concert-goers.

We went to Pappasito's on 290 around the same time. It wasn't busy at all. Didn't take more than 20 minutes to drive there from TMC.

Members don't see this ad.

working? when do you quit?

about 30 minutes ago :).

Hey, atleast the weather will be nice for orientation week, retreat weekend, and the first week of school.... waiiitt a secccoonndd...:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown: YUCK!

0d76c32e.jpg

about 30 minutes ago :).

Hey, atleast the weather will be nice for orientation week, retreat weekend, and the first week of school.... waiiitt a secccoonndd...:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown: YUCK!

0d76c32e.jpg

That looks like nice weather for the olympics.
I'm not sure about the costume party, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
that rain today managed to SOAK the mattress, box spring, and sofa that my parents brought me :(

I had dinner with my MS2 buddy tonight. she was really nice! apparently there was a method to the madness as far as matching MS1s & MS2s goes.

Which one is that? Is it on Richmond? The one we went to last night was also having a deal on fajitas (and margaritas). May have been the same one?

I think so. We were sitting in the very back of the restaurant, at a 6 person table.

It was just me and the girlfriend.

Weird...

I think so. We were sitting in the very back of the restaurant, at a 6 person table.

It was just me and the girlfriend.

Weird...
ah, we were up near the bar. that sucks though, I wish we'd known. You could have helped with our margaritas. We only drank about 2/3 of the pitcher.

Does anybody know if there is a dress code for orientation? Tech had a business casual or so requirement, and I'm wondering if we can show up in regular clothes here..

Computer orientation was quite painless and surprisingly well organized. Expect a 30-45 min presentation by numerous IT Security managers/directors, then you go down to the posh G100 suite where you'll get your badge and eToken. MacBook users needn't be afraid, they have people designated just for you.

Does anybody know if there is a dress code for orientation? Tech had a business casual or so requirement, and I'm wondering if we can show up in regular clothes here..

I was planning on wearing athletic shorts and a tshirt, but now you've got me worried haha

Also, what laptops did everyone end up buying?

Computer orientation was quite painless and surprisingly well organized. Expect a 30-45 min presentation by numerous IT Security managers/directors, then you go down to the posh G100 suite where you'll get your badge and eToken. MacBook users needn't be afraid, they have people designated just for you.

Interesting...
I haven't bought a laptop yet (I'm using an old one until the loans come in) and this is making me think about getting a MacBook Pro.

I was looking at the Dell XPS m1330 until disarticulate made the above post.

Interesting...
I haven't bought a laptop yet (I'm using an old one until the loans come in) and this is making me think about getting a MacBook Pro.

I bought a 13" MacBook Pro last week and absolutely love it. I was torn between the Vaio Z and the MBP, and I'm positive I made the right choice. It's small, powerful, robust, and has a giant mouse trackpad. Set-up was absolutely no problem at computer orientation. I installed Vista on my MBP just incase, but it looks like that won't be necessary until Spring Neuro Lab.

yeah comp orientation was super easy...doesn't even matter if you don't have your laptop yet. all of the important stuff is done on the school computers and the only difficult thing is trying to think of a password that you will remember that satisfies the list of requirements, mine is ****...haha just kidding, they were quite clear that sharing of passwords is a quick way to get sent to the dean's office.

and i have a dell xt2 tablet..it rocks pretty hard... :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I was planning on wearing athletic shorts and a tshirt, but now you've got me worried haha

short of going naked, it doesn't matter at all...there aren't any prof's or deans there to impress, just the IT guys (no offense to them).

What time is your orientation? I'm in the 9am one tomorrow
I bought a netbook (Lenovo S10-2). I figure I won't need a lot of computing power on a regular basis.

If I do, I'll remote into my desktop

Oops, I didn't realize computer orientation already started. I guess I'll need hit one up tomorrow...

Oops, I didn't realize computer orientation already started. I guess I'll need hit one up tomorrow...
yeah, it was based on your last name:

Monday, August 10
9:00 a.m. — Last Name starts with A-D
1:00 p.m. — Last Name starts with E-L
Tuesday, August 11
9:00 a.m. — Last Name starts with M-R
1:00 p.m. — Last Name starts with S-Z

What time is your orientation? I'm in the 9am one tomorrow

I was today at 1 pm. You can easily skip the first 40 minutes, a lot of it is just definitions of security and passwords and whatnot.

I wound up getting a Lenovo Thinkpad x200 tablet, and I love it. Really easy to use, light as hell, and makes my handwriting look good :laugh:

anyone know the average step 1 scores for the most recent batch of ms3s?

Interesting...

I will also recommend the MBP. it takes some getting used to, but for the money it's a good computer. 12-13" is about the right size, too.

anyone know the average step 1 scores for the most recent batch of ms3s?

i heard rumors of 230ish, but they are rumors. And that isn't everyone taking it yet because some people always put off for various reasons. I don't know if they'll publish it unless it is awesome. They haven't published them the last couple years because when it comes down to it, the student has to do the work and no school is really going to prep you better than another

Mostly.....I am glad it is freaking OVER.

Anybody know of anything special we should bring to orientation tomorrow? So far all I've heard is checkbook for organization dues and cheap supplies.

If anyone is still looking for a costume, Party Boy on Studemont @ I-10 has just about everything you can think of. It's a lot like Lucy in Disguise for you former Austinites.

If anyone is still looking for a costume, Party Boy on Studemont @ I-10 has just about everything you can think of. It's a lot like Lucy in Disguise for you former Austinites.
thanks for the heads up. my "costume" still hasn't gotten here (I haven't even gotten a shipping email) so I may need to find something else

so who's super pumped about 745 tomorrow morning? I assume everyone is asleep by now..

Assuming you start at 1? 4.5 hours seems kind of long for those of us starting at 9.

you know, I'm wondering if we didn't interview together at A&M...

I thought you were talking about the Orientation Day on Wednesday which starts at 7:30ish.

When did you interview at A&M? I interviewed in Temple in September.

well, I don't think I met any of you today, other than very briefly saying something to John.

briton, we definitely did interview at A&M together, though. I was the weird guy who asked you about your shirt in the bathroom.

well, I don't think I met any of you today, other than very briefly saying something to John.

briton, we definitely did interview at A&M together, though. I was the weird guy who asked you about your shirt in the bathroom.

you saw me!!!

You guys are all so fresh faced and excited! And I hope you all signed up for Student Ambassadors!

you saw me!!!

You guys are all so fresh faced and excited! And I hope you all signed up for Student Ambassadors!
Actually student ambassadors was one of the biggest clubs to interest me, but probably for the wrong reason. I was hoping to get more involved in the politics/policy of the admissions committee.

and sorry I couldn't stop to talk. we were being herded to our picture.

Yeah, I remember you now. Hope to catch up with you soon.

I saw you when I sat down for orientation but couldn't really say hey.

Haha I'd have said hi, but I have no idea what any of you look like, and wasn't about to walk around asking who was on SDN haha

Actually student ambassadors was one of the biggest clubs to interest me, but probably for the wrong reason. I was hoping to get more involved in the politics/policy of the admissions committee.

and sorry I couldn't stop to talk. we were being herded to our picture.

well getting on student ambassadors gets you close to Dr. Kellaway, who you could then talk to about those things!!! :)

I was right across from you when we lined up for the white coat ceremony and I didn't realize it until just now when I saw your picture on Facebook.

I was right across from you when we lined up for the white coat ceremony and I didn't realize it until just now when I saw your picture on Facebook.
I thought it was you when I heard you introduce yourself to someone, then I thought maybe you said Charles.

whatever, we'll all meet each other eventually

anyone know when our loan refunds are supposed to get in? I've gotten an email saying I'm getting some amount back, but it hasn't hit my bank.

in case anyone else wondered or hadn't thought of it, you'll need to bring your own towel to retreat if you're staying in a cabin.

Anybody want to carpool tomorrow (aka pick me up :))??

Yeah, that's it..
I was planning on walking, but I could pick you up if you need a ride. what time?

shoot me a facebook friend request (Jake M) so I know who to pick up in the morning. unless we're friends already, then remind me who you are. I've completely lost track of all SDN name/facebook face pairings.

Last edited: