UT-Houston School Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
what happens at this retreat? is it inside or outside? I need some time to acclimate to Houston weather!
Some is outside, some is inside. There's a bunch of things that happen like skits, short movies, group activities, music, games, eating food, drinking, Q&As, etc. Whatever the new 2nd years have planned for you!

Members don't see this ad.

what happens at this retreat? is it inside or outside? I need some time to acclimate to Houston weather!

most of it is inside, but there is a field day thing, and the party that night is outside. If they're still doing it at camp allen, it is in navasota. you might be sweaty, but you won't die :) plus they provide refreshments, which may or may not have EtOH in them

most of it is inside, but there is a field day thing, and the party that night is outside. If they're still doing it at camp allen, it is in navasota. you might be sweaty, but you won't die :) plus they provide refreshments, which may or may not have EtOH in them
sweet, that's all you had to say.

for the record, I am not an alcoholic. I just enjoy drinking and do it often.

Members don't see this ad :)
from what I remember with the UT housing waitlist, the earlier you put the better. Like if there were 3 people on the waitlist who wanted august and didn't get it, they're ahead of everyone who put they wanted september, even if someone who put september turned their form in earlier.

I'm just using those months as examples, because by august most people have housing and don't want to move once school starts, so if you can pick an off month you'll get something (because somehow they have openings at odd times like that). When I was on the list I said I wanted July move in and I got called early August, but I had already bought a condo.

Actually, the way the waitlist works is a little different. My girlfriend and I hounded the workers for info while we were camping out to turn in our app...

(There are two lists -- one for each complex, and they both work the same.)

They compile the list in the order that applications are received. The order of the list always stays the same. What changes is your eligibility for vacant units, which is based on the move-in month you list. So, before the month you listed, you're "grayed-out" on the Excel sheet they use. Even if you are first on the list, any available units will go to the first people below you who have listed earlier move-in months. After your move-in month arrives, your name is un-grayed-out on the Excel sheet, and you'll be eligible for the next available unit as they go down the list.

You can put two units/layouts on each application/wait-list, so whenever one of those apartments is available, they move down the list, offering the apartment to those un-grayed-out applicants who listed that particular layout.

So, if student A selects a November move-in month and gets on the list in February, and student B selects a July move-in month and gets on the list in March, (provided student B hasn't been offered an apartment yet) student A (not student B) would get an apartment that opens up in November.

Once you're offered an apartment, you have 3 days to give them the $200 deposit, and you can choose to move in anytime from 1 to 30 days after the previous tenant moves out.

It's all very confusing, but the bottom line is that the only thing that really matters is how early you get your application in. Selecting a move-in month for before you'd actually be able to move in would not help at all.

My girlfriend and I moved into a one-bedroom in the new complex, and it's super nice. I would say it's worth the application and wait-list hassle.

It's also very easy to control if you want to move-in next year: you just have to be a psycho and show up really early the day before applications can be turned in. We showed up and camped out from 2pm the day before, had a good time, and got near the top of the list.

Actually, the way the waitlist works is a little different. My girlfriend and I hounded the workers for info while we were camping out to turn in our app...

Hmmm.. so I might have a slight advantage if I pick August or really September then, since I'm sure the next 2 months are going to have the longest wait list. I dunno if its worth putting anything later than that since I assume it is a yearly lease and I would be leaving June/July 2010 so the savings in rent might not be worth it anymore.

I know there has been some discussion on the subject of white coats before but I have a question which maybe someone can answer. I won't be able to get to the store during their opening hours before the deadline to order so my question is: do the coats run pretty true to the sizes? If I order a 44 it will fit as expected, right? I know sometimes coats are bigger than you might expect from reading the label.

Thanks.

I can't find good information regarding the measurements on their coats. Here is a size chart, but it doesnt' tell you anything interesting
http://www.whiteswanscrubs.com/thumbnail.asp?offset=0&deep=1&cid=309

I wear a 40L suit coat and have decided to order a 42 white coat to get a little length. If it doesn't fit, maybe somebody will have ordered the size I need and I could trade.
They actually have long sizes on that website.

I can't find good information regarding the measurements on their coats. Here is a size chart, but it doesnt' tell you anything interesting
http://www.whiteswanscrubs.com/thumbnail.asp?offset=0&deep=1&cid=309

I wear a 40L suit coat and have decided to order a 42 white coat to get a little length. If it doesn't fit, maybe somebody will have ordered the size I need and I could trade.
They actually have long sizes on that website.
If I recall correctly, when you pick up your white coat from the bookstore, they will ask you to try it on first before taking it home. I believe that the employee said that you could exchange it if it didn't fit. Someone might want to correct me or verify this.

Also, keep in mind that everyone looks weird in white coats and I don't know one person who claims that his or her coat fits perfectly. There's always something wrong with it.

If anyone wants a FREE size 30 female white coat, PM me :cool:

Spent all day Saturday looking at apartments. More undecided than ever now!

Does anyone have any positve or negative experiences to share on any apt complexes, especially regarding safety, parking, noise and ease of getting to TMC?

Does anyone live in the Hermann Park area or do most people live south of TMC?

Our last day of the fall semester is Dec 18 and the first day of spring is Jan 4 - that's 2 weeks off :(
Yep. :( That's why it will be of utmost importance to enjoy your summer vacation between MS1 and MS2 years because vacations/breaks are hard to come by in medical school. :(

Spent all day Saturday looking at apartments. More undecided than ever now!

Does anyone have any positve or negative experiences to share on any apt complexes, especially regarding safety, parking, noise and ease of getting to TMC?

Does anyone live in the Hermann Park area or do most people live south of TMC?
Most people live south but I do know a few that live north in the Hermann Park and Museum District area.

Sent you a PM.

Yep. :( That's why it will be of utmost importance to enjoy your summer vacation between MS1 and MS2 years because vacations/breaks are hard to come by in medical school. :(
my anniversary is Dec 16 :( My wife wanted to go somewhere nice on our anniversary. oh well.

Members don't see this ad :)
my anniversary is Dec 16 :( My wife wanted to go somewhere nice on our anniversary. oh well.
Aw, that sucks. Well, maybe you guys can go somewhere extra nice afterward since you'll also be celebrating the end of finals and first semester. :D

the last final will be gross anatomy, and by that time you won't care anymore :) You could go out to eat at a nice place on the 16th (after whatever exam is that day) and stay at a nice hotel and be all romantical :) (the hotel zaza is close by. i imagine it to be nice. I also highly recommend the magnolia in downtown. AMAZING! complimentary happy hour, cookies and milk, and delish breakfast. We had my bachelorette party there. I can't say enough good things about them) You have to work so hard at anatomy to survive during the semester that by the time you get to the final, you know it or you don't. I think I read for 3 hours for anatomy maybe. Plus, the final is mostly block 3, so you've just done it. All hope for a nice evening isn't lost :)

anyone with a July move-in date hear from University Housing yet?

edit: I just called and was told my request to change my move-in date from August to July didn't happen. Great.

Last edited:
anyone with a July move-in date hear from University Housing yet?

edit: I just called and was told my request to change my move-in date from August to July didn't happen. Great.

I requested a June move-in date and I just received a call today. My move-in date is July 11th.

that's sort of my fear... request a August move-in date and get one in September. where am I going to live if that happens?

I hate this situation :(
Just to be on the safe side, maybe you should find a backup apartment, just in case. The worst thing that will happen is that you get into University Housing and lose your deposit at another apartment complex. IMO, it's better than the opposite...not getting into University Housing and having nowhere to go.

Just to be on the safe side, maybe you should find a backup apartment, just in case. The worst thing that will happen is that you get into University Housing and lose your deposit at another apartment complex. IMO, it's better than the opposite...not getting into University Housing and having nowhere to go.
I tried to contact one place but they just sent me a link to their website. I'm not sure how putting a deposit down but not signing a contract works.

if nothing else, I'm crashing on Sarah's couch, or Jolie South's

I tried to contact one place but they just sent me a link to their website. I'm not sure how putting a deposit down but not signing a contract works.
Based on my experience, usually you just fill out an application and pay the fees and deposit and then the apartment people look at your application and approve it. I didn't sign my contract until the day that I moved in.

So if I wanted to go to a different apartment, it would have been okay since I didn't sign the contract yet. I just would have lost a couple hundred dollars in fees and deposit.

Based on my experience, usually you just fill out an application and pay the fees and deposit and then the apartment people look at your application and approve it. I didn't sign my contract until the day that I moved in.

So if I wanted to go to a different apartment, it would have been okay since I didn't sign the contract yet. I just would have lost a couple hundred dollars in fees and deposit.
Hmm. Several of my classmates have also sent emails about finding a roommate.

I dunno.

Hmm. Several of my classmates have also sent emails about finding a roommate.

I dunno.
Sorry, I don't know how the process works with the Housing. I take it that you can't call and ask where you are on the list?

Sorry, I don't know how the process works with the Housing. I take it that you can't call and ask where you are on the list?
I called and asked exactly that, and the woman was adamant that they don't tell your place on the list.

I was like look, I live in Tennessee, I need to know if there's a possibility of getting University Housing or if I just need to go look for a different apartment. She looked up my name on the list and let me know her opinion.

if nothing else, I'm crashing on Sarah's couch, or Jolie South's

I got a queen sleeper sofa you're welcome to!

How many people actually go to this retreat? A whole two days of awkward ice breakers doesn't sound like a lot of fun. Or is it actually alright? What exactly goes on?

How many people actually go to this retreat? A whole two days of awkward ice breakers doesn't sound like a lot of fun. Or is it actually alright? What exactly goes on?

Retreat is AWESOME and this is from someone who a) doesn't drink and b) doesn't really like huge parties which is for most the highlight of the weekend. If I loved retreat, almost everyone will at least enjoy themselves. Hopefully most of your class will be able to make it!

You'll get up way early on a Friday and get on buses with your new classmates to get to Camp Allen. There will probably be icebreakers for part of the bus time, but I have a bunch of friends that I literally met on the bus to retreat. In fact, most of my friends are in the same part of the alphabet as me because we were alphabetized for most of the Retreat festivities. Once you get to Camp Allen there will be a welcoming ceremony where a bunch of really excited new second years will scream and clap for a really long time. They've been working very hard for a long time to make this a great experience, and they were in your shoes only a year ago, so they know what worked and what didn't. There will be some sort of "Olympic" activities in the afternoon, and that night is the skits/clips (usually of surprisingly high standard) and then The Party. There will be beer and costumes and music and dancing and a good time being had by all. The next morning will be a little more sedate with some "what to expect from med school" sessions and some presentations.

The only thing more fun in med school than being at Retreat as a first year was helping put it on as a second year. Let their excitement fuel yours, get to know your new classmates, and you'll have plenty to talk about in those otherwise-awkward first few days of class. And next year, definitely help with the planning and execution, because it's even more of a bonding experience the second time around. :D

Retreat is AWESOME and this is from someone who a) doesn't drink and b) doesn't really like huge parties which is for most the highlight of the weekend. If I loved retreat, almost everyone will at least enjoy themselves. Hopefully most of your class will be able to make it!

You'll get up way early on a Friday and get on buses with your new classmates to get to Camp Allen. There will probably be icebreakers for part of the bus time, but I have a bunch of friends that I literally met on the bus to retreat. In fact, most of my friends are in the same part of the alphabet as me because we were alphabetized for most of the Retreat festivities. Once you get to Camp Allen there will be a welcoming ceremony where a bunch of really excited new second years will scream and clap for a really long time. They've been working very hard for a long time to make this a great experience, and they were in your shoes only a year ago, so they know what worked and what didn't. There will be some sort of "Olympic" activities in the afternoon, and that night is the skits/clips (usually of surprisingly high standard) and then The Party. There will be beer and costumes and music and dancing and a good time being had by all. The next morning will be a little more sedate with some "what to expect from med school" sessions and some presentations.

The only thing more fun in med school than being at Retreat as a first year was helping put it on as a second year. Let their excitement fuel yours, get to know your new classmates, and you'll have plenty to talk about in those otherwise-awkward first few days of class. And next year, definitely help with the planning and execution, because it's even more of a bonding experience the second time around. :D

I absolutely second this!!!!!!!!!!
Retreat is amazing! There will be some inside jokes that you don't get, and the icebreakers on the bus can get a little tiring, but its only an hour or two, and you really do meet a lot of people. The skits and movie shorts are hilarious. The new 2nd year class (I can't believe I'm a 3rd year!) works all summer long on it. I mean, if you hate puppies and freedom, maybe you won't like it, but if you want to get to know your class, have a good time, and get some last minute questions answered, it is AMAZING!

Nobody else is able to see their financial aid stuff and bill for 09-10, right?

I can...sigh...I think that is only because my bill is either due 6/26 or 6/30. It actually says both on the page. I don't understand. I really really really strongly dislike the financial aid office. If they don't get me my papers to sign to get my loan, I'll have to put half the tuition on my credit card. Awesome! I love when papers get lost in the mail......
(I already talked to my husband who works for the post office about it. I told him to call someone and complain for me :))

Addition: In the interest of being helpful, there is apparently one person in the office that is helpful. One of my friends posted this on my fb "The receptionist is helpful and their "boss" is Araceli Alvarez. Whenever I have problems I go straight to her. She promptly replies to e-mails." I almost can't believe it, someone in finaid that emails back. *gasp*

I can...sigh...I think that is only because my bill is either due 6/26 or 6/30. It actually says both on the page. I don't understand. I really really really strongly dislike the financial aid office. If they don't get me my papers to sign to get my loan, I'll have to put half the tuition on my credit card. Awesome! I love when papers get lost in the mail......
(I already talked to my husband who works for the post office about it. I told him to call someone and complain for me :))

Addition: In the interest of being helpful, there is apparently one person in the office that is helpful. One of my friends posted this on my fb "The receptionist is helpful and their "boss" is Araceli Alvarez. Whenever I have problems I go straight to her. She promptly replies to e-mails." I almost can't believe it, someone in finaid that emails back. *gasp*
Sarah, when did you submit your FAFSA? I still don't see anything for my financial aid and it's almost rotation time! :scared:

Sarah, when did you submit your FAFSA? I still don't see anything for my financial aid and it's almost rotation time! :scared:

I submitted it in Feb, after I did my taxes, but on UTlink it says it was received beginning of May. They didn't mail out my info until May 29th, but as I said before, I haven't gotten it yet. Which means I still have to mail it back, do the loans by web, and then wait for the money. blech :( One of the girls in our class didn't get hers until she harassed the finaid office repeatedly.

For those of you that haven't played with UTlink much before, be sure you're selecting the right "term" semester/year and stuff.

Also, if you bill is up, and you don't want to pay the whole year of tuition at once, be sure to pick the installment plan!

Nobody else is able to see their financial aid stuff and bill for 09-10, right?

I'm not able to see it either, but I just received my award letter in the mail today! It's about time.

I'm also a little bit confused about what to do next. I'm not familiar with how financial aid is processed. Do I simply sign the award letter and return it to the financial aid office or is there more to it?

Last edited:
I'm not able to see it either, but I just received my award letter in the mail today! It's about time.

I'm also a little bit confused about what to do next. I'm not familiar with how financial aid is processed. Do I simply sign the award letter and return it to the financial aid office or is there more to it?

Yeah you sign it and mail it back, then you'll get an email (i think) and you'll go to this tg loans by web website to accept your award and pick your lender. Then I forget what happens. But after that its pretty easy. I'm sorry its so confusing. If I ever get my stuff, I'll write something up about the steps to go through. Because I've done it twice for grad school so far, and I still am not sure what to do :)

Hey everyone! Got my acceptance e-mail this evening! :eek:

Hey everyone! Got my acceptance e-mail this evening! :eek:
Congrats! You will enjoy it here!!

Army: How's the financial aid situation going? Are you able to see the bill and financial aid online now?

I still can't see my bill, and it still doesn't show fall 09 as an option under "Term." Does anyone have fall 09 as an option? I've got fall 08, spring 09, summer 09, and "not applicable."

Still haven't heard anything from financial aid either, but misfit getting theirs gives me hope of getting mine soon.

I still can't see my bill, and it still doesn't show fall 09 as an option under "Term." Does anyone have fall 09 as an option? I've got fall 08, spring 09, summer 09, and "not applicable."

Still haven't heard anything from financial aid either, but misfit getting theirs gives me hope of getting mine soon.
If you're a medical student, you will eventually see "Medical Yr 2009-10." That's the option you're going to want to click on under "Term." Disregard any fall, spring, and summer options.

I went back and checked my 1st year info and it said that they mailed it June 21 so I am not shocked that you have not heard from them yet. Hopefully you will be hearing from them soon!

I've never been through the process of choosing a lender for financial aid. Are there significant differences between the lenders listed? I know absolutely nothing about this process and I'm not really sure what to look for when choosing a lender. Any help would be appreciated!!

I've never been through the process of choosing a lender for financial aid. Are there significant differences between the lenders listed? I know absolutely nothing about this process and I'm not really sure what to look for when choosing a lender. Any help would be appreciated!!

when it boils down to it, it doesn't really matter. for me it was what would i be able to remember and log into online :)

If you can find a lender that pays origination fees that is good (otherwise they come out of your money) Some end up discounting the interest rate if you pay back on time for a certain amount of payments, but some lenders sell loans, so who you started with might not be who you end up with. I use Wells Fargo and they just sold one of my loans back to the department of education (no biggie, I just send money to someone else now).

If there is a bank you have a relationship with, you can stick with that. The uth financial aid website has a chart of lenders that gives the fast facts about some of them. http://sfs.uth.tmc.edu/fa_docs/lender_comparison_chart.pdf

Yeah, they fact that their products are identical and they're government-sponsored loans means that all the banks' offers are 99% identical. I just picked Wells Fargo also, because I already had a checking and credit account with them.

About to drive down to the TMC area to hunt for an apartment and see what I can work wrt university housing. I despise apartment hunting...

I called financial aid today and they told me I could get my package as early as the end of this week or as late as the second week in July. They were able to tell me about my package, so at least I know that I have money coming to me, I just don't have it in writing on my side.

I also received a grant, so if you sent your FAFSA in before/around January 10-13 you might have as well!

I called financial aid today and they told me I could get my package as early as the end of this week or as late as the second week in July. They were able to tell me about my package, so at least I know that I have money coming to me, I just don't have it in writing on my side.

I also received a grant, so if you sent your FAFSA in before/around January 10-13 you might have as well!
Excellent! :thumbup:

Looks like things are finally moving in financial aid!