UT Houston class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zweisamkeit

y halo thar
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It saddens me that it's almost halfway through January yet there isn't a thread for the class of 2014 for this MOST AWESOME med school! :(

Welcome to all those who are coming here! :thumbup:

If you've got questions, we've got answers. Ask away!!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for starting this! I have a few questions before I finalize my rankings. How do you find the curriculum there? How was doing the alternating teaching in gross anatomy lab? How many tests do you have in one week and how often are they? Also, how do you like PBL now that you are doing it in your second year? Do you feel prepared for step 1?

I know the average score for the last class that sat for the exam was very high but before this the averages have been only slightly higher than the national average. Do you think UT Houston is moving towards these higher scores or could we expect averages as seen in the past? I appreciate any answers, I know this is a lot of questions!!

Lastly, where do students do a lot of their volunteering?

Thanks so much for your help!! :D

I'll do my best to answer your questions! Hopefully other people will find this thread and chime in with their opinions.

How do you find the curriculum there?
So as you may know, the curriculum is more on the traditional side. You have biochemistry, embryology, gross anatomy, histology, and some intro to clinical classes during your first semester. They do a pretty good job of trying to align all of the classes. For example, you will be dissecting the heart in gross anatomy when you are learning about how the heart forms in embryology, etc. I didn't find anything wrong with this curriculum. I know that there are schools out there that have systems-based curriculum but since I haven't been exposed to it, I can't say if that would have helped or hindered my learning. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think that our curriculum adequately prepared me for Step 1 and rotations.

How was doing the alternating teaching in gross anatomy lab?
I loved it! It was so nice having some afternoons off to study. I don't think it hurt me not being in every dissection when it came to exams. Besides, I think 6 people dissecting one cadaver at the same time would be way too many. Three people dissecting at a time is just right.

How many tests do you have in one week and how often are they?
It depends. During 1st semester of 1st year, you'll have a week of tests 3x during the semester plus final exams. During 2nd semester, you will have a week of tests 4x during the semester plus finals. In second year, you only have a week of tests 2x a semester and then the final exams are at the end of the 2nd semester. During 3rd year, you have an exam at the end of each rotation.

Also, how do you like PBL now that you are doing it in your second year?
I wasn't a big fan of PBL. To me, it was just like reading a textbook. They tried to make it clinically relevant, but it seemed like it was lacking something... It also depends on who your faculty facilitator is. But this is just my opinion. I know some people who LOVED PBL. Different strokes for different folks. This is why I did not go to UTMB.

Do you feel prepared for step 1?
Yeah. If you study hard throughout your 1st and 2nd year, you will be adequately prepared for Step 1.

Do you think UT Houston is moving towards these higher scores or could we expect averages as seen in the past?
Honestly, it's hard to say. We'll have to wait and see how the class of 2012 does on the test. However, for my class (c/o 2011), the school tried something new for us. During March, we had to take a practice Step 1 test. If we didn't pass it, we had to retake it later in the year. And if we didn't pass that one, we had to take another practice one. Basically we weren't encouraged to take the real Step 1 until we had passed one of their practice ones. I don't know if they're doing this again for the class of 2012 (maybe someone here knows...?). I did appreciate the practice test. I think it helped me figure out where I was and how much I needed to study to achieve my goal.

Lastly, where do students do a lot of their volunteering?
Are you referring to volunteering in hospitals? If that's the case, I'd say most go to Memorial Hermann Hospital. But most don't volunteer; rather they shadow physicians. There are plenty of opportunities to shadow doctors as a medical student. I know a lot that shadowed in the ER and love it. I also have some friends that shadowed surgeons and were able to scrub in on some surgeries. It just depends on what you want to do! :)

Hope that helped some! :) Good luck with those rankings!!! :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
what do you think about your guys 1st and 2nd year schedule? how many hours a day do you normally study/attend class?

i've heard a lot of people say its harder compared to utmb or utsa, and i'm not sure why. for instance, utmb has 1 exam/4wks while houston has 2 exams/4 wks in the first year. yet both schools get similar board scores.

what do you think about your guys 1st and 2nd year schedule? how many hours a day do you normally study/attend class?
I liked it. The week of tests was kind of grueling but it was nice to have the weekend afterward to chill and not worry about any school. During the first couple of weeks after the tests, I would usually take it easy and not study as much. As the week of tests aka block exams approached, I would gradually study more and more.

I can't really put an estimate of how many hours I studied a day because it varied a lot depending on the day, the classes I was taking, how far away tests were, and I how felt. But I assure you, I had plenty of time to do lots of things. Of course I didn't do much right before exams other than study, but the rest of the time, I had spare time for stuff. If you study smart and manage your time well, you'll be amazed at how much free time you have. Third year is a different story...so make sure you take time out for yourself during your first two years. :)

i've heard a lot of people say its harder compared to utmb or utsa, and i'm not sure why.
I'm not sure why. I haven't heard that. Maybe it's because at UTMB, they only have half days. But otherwise, I don't think that is an accurate assessment. Unless you've taken classes at UTMB, UTHSCSA, and UTH, then you really can't say with 100% certainty that one school is harder than another.

These are all good questions! :thumbup:

Here's the schedule posted in the SSD in the pre-allo forum. It has all class sessions, labs and exams that were taken this fall for MS1 on the schedule, you just have to move back to the fall semester. Also has all scheduled classes, labs and exams for this coming semester. Cool way to look at the schedule for both MS1's and 2's.
https://one45.uth.tmc.edu/app/cal/

Matched this morning! Super excited about Houston & honestly can't believe it! I am sure that I will have a ton of questions, but one real quick random one: are you required to have a smart phone for medical school? I will be changing plans soon and this would be helpful information to know. I look forward to meeting everyone!

Matched!!!
Now onto figuring out housing!

Is there a facebook group yet?!

Matched this morning! Super excited about Houston & honestly can't believe it! I am sure that I will have a ton of questions, but one real quick random one: are you required to have a smart phone for medical school? I will be changing plans soon and this would be helpful information to know. I look forward to meeting everyone!
Congrats!

I still have my dumb phone.
Being able to look at flashcards and emails on your phone is nice, but isn't a requirement unless it started with your class.

are you required to have a smart phone for medical school?

First off, congrats! Smart phones are by no means required. But I highly recommend getting an iPhone. It's extremely convenient in so many ways: keeping up with the plethora of emails from course directors, a lot of helpful apps for studying, your google calendar is automatically "pushed" to the iPhone without having to sync, and you can post to SDN from anywhere like I am right now :).

I'm pretty sure they'll be introducing a new version of the iPhone this summer.

**disclaimer: I will admit I am an apple fanboy.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

Joined SDN just so I could comment on this thread! I joined the facebook group, and am looking forward to meeting all of you fellow c/o 2014ers!

Hey guys! I was wondering what everyone thinks about using a macbook at UTH. I'm looking to get a new laptop and I love the macs but I'm worried about any compatability issues that could come from it. Anyone have insight into the mac vs pc here?

Also, I'm going to be looking at renting a house somewhere nearby. Maybe someone might know of a forum where med students or residents list their houses for rent when they are done at the end of the semester?

Thanks! Congrats to everyone, I can't wait for orientation!

I should take a picture in class... at any given time you can see probably 30 Macbooks open.

IT officially doesn't support them, but there are so many Mac nerds in class that they will set you up with everything you need to make it work for you. You will be fine with a Mac.

I found my place at www.har.com

Okay, so I have been looking at different apartments and stuff near the medical center- I can't live in UT Housing because I have a dog, although I may let her stay with my parents for a bit at least until I get settled in. I need the option though. I have been looking at The Plaza in the museum district and Valencia, although Valencia is condos so I'd have to rent from a private owner. Has anyone heard anything about these two places? Are they close enough to the rail that it'll be easy for me to get to school?

Any other apartment suggestions? Looking for 1 bed/1 bath places with security/parking garages.

Also, when is a good time to start my lease? School starts the 16th, and the earliest date I saw that we need to be there is for computer registration on the 9th/10th. Anything earlier? I'm guessing this question will probably be addressed in the acceptance packet that will be mailed to us. Just wondering if I should move in July or August.

Awesome! Thanks armybound. I think I saw on another thread that you are a little older and possibly married. I'll be entering school the same way. Hoping to find a good neighborhood so she can run outside without feeling scared.

I should take a picture in class... at any given time you can see probably 30 Macbooks open.

IT officially doesn't support them, but there are so many Mac nerds in class that they will set you up with everything you need to make it work for you. You will be fine with a Mac.

I found my place at www.har.com
would you mind telling me around what neighborhood you found a place to rent? It seems like maybe Meyerland or Westbury might have some houses to rent that are semi affordable, and yet still be close enough to campus.....

Okay, so I have been looking at different apartments and stuff near the medical center- I can't live in UT Housing because I have a dog, although I may let her stay with my parents for a bit at least until I get settled in. I need the option though. I have been looking at The Plaza in the museum district and Valencia, although Valencia is condos so I'd have to rent from a private owner. Has anyone heard anything about these two places? Are they close enough to the rail that it'll be easy for me to get to school?

Any other apartment suggestions? Looking for 1 bed/1 bath places with security/parking garages.

Also, when is a good time to start my lease? School starts the 16th, and the earliest date I saw that we need to be there is for computer registration on the 9th/10th. Anything earlier? I'm guessing this question will probably be addressed in the acceptance packet that will be mailed to us. Just wondering if I should move in July or August.
The Valencia seems reasonably close, but I've always heard you had to purchase them, as they're new and nobody is really leasing them out yet. Maybe this has changed. I know that at least a few of my classmates and upperclassmen are living there. It looks to be close to a rail stop: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...847,-95.404211&spn=0.001771,0.003237&t=h&z=19
A lot of students live in Greenbriar and Lanesboro apartments. There are several others like AMLI Med Center that are a bit nicer.

When you move in is sort of up to you. I think I came in on August 7 when orientation started on the 10th. I didn't feel rushed or anything.

Awesome! Thanks armybound. I think I saw on another thread that you are a little older and possibly married. I'll be entering school the same way. Hoping to find a good neighborhood so she can run outside without feeling scared.
Yes, I'm married, as are quite a few of my classmates -- you shouldn't be afraid of being the only one, if my class is any indication. You're probably going to have to debate how much you can afford to spend on a place and how comfortable you are -- the nicer parts of town that are still close enough to get to school can be quite expensive.

would you mind telling me around what neighborhood you found a place to rent? It seems like maybe Meyerland or Westbury might have some houses to rent that are semi affordable, and yet still be close enough to campus.....

Look at area #17 on har. Here's a useful map I found last year: http://wikimapia.org/960396/One-Montreal-Place

I live in One Montreal Place on El Paseo, which are condos that are often up for rent. There are a lot of good options around here, if this is the part of town you want to live in. It's pretty close to both the METRO and UT bus routes. This is definitely not the only option for you, though. My MS2 buddy lives in the Meyerland area with her husband, but I'm not sure where she parks to get to school.

In case the word hasn't gotten out yet, parking at school isn't really that much of an option, unless you have deep pockets. It supposedly runs $150/month for the parking garage across the street. Everyone I know either rides the UT shuttle, a METRO bus, the rail, or walks/bikes to school. A lot of apartment/condo places also have private shuttles/vans that take people to the med center -- you may wish to inquire about them at any place you're considering living in. I believe briton lives at Kirby Place, which has a shuttle and is in a little bit nicer of a neighborhood.

Hey guys! I was wondering what everyone thinks about using a macbook at UTH. I'm looking to get a new laptop and I love the macs but I'm worried about any compatability issues that could come from it.

Get a mac. Before last year I had always frowned upon macs and how unjustly expensive they were. But I took a leap of faith on a friend's advice and got a 13" MBP and I am soooo happy I made that decision. Compatability is not an issue at all. The only reason you'll need windows is for Neuro Lab, for which I just use Parallels 5 to run Windows 7 in "Spaces" full screen. That way I can switch back and forth instantaneously from space to space and thus OSX to Windows. I'd say atleast 30% of our class has macs.

I would recommend you get at least 4GB of memory so that you can run both OS comfortably. People with 2GB and below really lag down if they run a virtual machine, requiring them to use boot camp which requires shutdown and reboot to switch operating systems :)thumbdown).

Wait until the Core i7 Macbook Pros come out in a couple months.

A lot of apartment/condo places also have private shuttles/vans that take people to the med center -- you may wish to inquire about them at any place you're considering living in. I believe briton lives at Kirby Place, which has a shuttle and is in a little bit nicer of a neighborhood.
A couple of other places that have shuttles/vans are Archstone and Brompton Court. Brompton Court and Kirby Place are both in nicer and safer areas compared to Archstone. However, Archstone is right across the street from a rail stop so there is an added convenience.

Archstone is right across the street from a rail stop so there is an added convenience.

Archstone also offers the added convenience of insane traffic on Fannin during any event held at Reliant Center. i.e. Football, Car Show, Boat Show, Rodeo, Chimichanga festival.... blah.

Archstone also offers the added convenience of insane traffic on Fannin during any event held at Reliant Center. i.e. Football, Car Show, Boat Show, Rodeo, Chimichanga festival.... blah.
This is true! You have to plan your schedule around the Texans home games. I've learned though that driving down Cambridge is a decent alternate route. Still sucks though.

So do we need to purchase a new computer? I have been reading something about a lease program, just wondering what most kids do?

So do we need to purchase a new computer? I have been reading something about a lease program, just wondering what most kids do?
I haven't heard of anyone leasing the computers from school, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened. I imagine pretty much everyone has purchased their own, though, especially since it basically costs more to lease them than to buy your own.

Two questions:

Everybody's talked a lot about housing in the area that isn't UT housing, but is it too late to get in on the UT housing? I know where the website is, is it just a matter of filling out an application and sending it? Or is it too late to get in by now?

Also, I wanted to ask about the city of Houston in general. I'm in Austin now, and part of what I love about the city is the amount of active/outdoor things there are to do. Do you find that Houston is an active city? Are there lots of parks, tracks, basketball courts for those of us who need an outdoor fix?

Also, I wanted to ask about the city of Houston in general. I'm in Austin now, and part of what I love about the city is the amount of active/outdoor things there are to do. Do you find that Houston is an active city? Are there lots of parks, tracks, basketball courts for those of us who need an outdoor fix?
I can answer this question for you. Yes, there are outdoor things for you to do in Houston, but it does not compare to Austin so don't get your hopes up. There's a track around Rice University that a lot of my classmates utilize. There's a path along Brays Bayou where people jog, walk their dogs, ride bikes, etc. There's Memorial Park and Hermann Park, where you can do all sorts of stuff. There are also some nice parks outside of the city. Unfortunately there's nothing here that can compare to the Greenbelt but there is a handful of outdoors stuff. PM me for any additional info; I'm an outdoorsy person myself. :cool:

Two questions:

Everybody's talked a lot about housing in the area that isn't UT housing, but is it too late to get in on the UT housing? I know where the website is, is it just a matter of filling out an application and sending it? Or is it too late to get in by now?

yeah, you can just fill out the app and send it in. At this point I would tell them you want to move in in June or July if you're really set on getting student housing. They do a weird system for letting people in, so it would be best to put an earlier date if you really want it.

disarticulate is really active with sports and classmates, he can also chime in on activities.

The leased prices for the computers are ridiculous. It's like $1200 (over 3 years) for an out-dated thinkpad. Don't do it. You can OWN comparably equipped laptops for cheaper than you would if leasing them from the IT dept.

Buy a new computer. If you really need to save money just watch the front page at http://www.slickdeals.net/ and you'll find a nice lappy for cheapo.

Or if you're feelin ultra jobsy (yes, I used him as an adjective), you could wait til the summer, buy a macbook pro with education discount, get the free ipod touch, and ebay the ipod touch.

I'm in Austin now, and part of what I love about the city is the amount of active/outdoor things there are to do. Do you find that Houston is an active city? Are there lots of parks, tracks, basketball courts for those of us who need an outdoor fix?

Live it up now, bro. Because it's very very tough acclimating to the rigorous curriculum while maintaining a decent workout regimen. I heard from a little birdie that there is supposed to be a track/soccer star coming from UT-Austin. You may know him (he may be you), he'll probably be a good person for you to partner up with to keep motivated with working out.

Houston is not an active city, however the Rice Village/West University area isn't as sedentary.... As Zwei said above, Memorial Park is our version of Town Lake/Zilker (but pales in comparison). The Rice trail is the most accessible to the med center, and probably most used. Hermann park isn't bad, if you were charismatic enough. You could probably organize an afterschool Ultimate game early on in the school year at Hermann Park or IM fields (near the Rec). The Rec Center is perfect, because the membership fee is included in your tuition, and all of your classmates have memberships, too. So it's easy to find a group of people to play bball, tennis, whatever. There are organized intramural sports.... During the fall semester there is Flag Football, 3v3 Basketball, Soccer, and Softball. The spring semester has Soccer, 5v5 Basketball, Softball, Kickball, and Sand Volleyball. The level of play is comparable to IM sports at UT.

Don't forget GTL - GYM TAN LAUNDRY BABY!

Congrats to everyone who matched and I look forward to meeting all my new classmates! I still can't believe that I am really going here.

yeah, you can just fill out the app and send it in. At this point I would tell them you want to move in in June or July if you're really set on getting student housing. They do a weird system for letting people in, so it would be best to put an earlier date if you really want it.

Sorry to repeat the question, but is it likely that there are openings in student housing? I would be interested in the 1 bedrooms at el paseo. Is it going to be a situation where you would maybe end up on a waitlist and then have to scramble to find a place if you don't get it? Also, I didn't see the application on the housing website. Maybe I am just blind but where is it located?

Also, has it been announced when the spring informational is (the one where they talk about housing and such)? I just got a job for the next 6 months so I want to make sure to keep off the schedule for that day. It is an ER tech job so even weekends are a potential conflict.

Thanks for any answers.

There is definitely a waitlist at student housing.. that's just the way it works. You'll put your name on it and they'll call you if/when there's an opening. They will not (by policy) rent you a place more than 30 days in advance of your desired move-in date. So if you say you want to move in in July but 100 people say they want to move in in June, they will rent out all of the places to the June people, even if you were ahead of them on the waitlist.

The way I did it was to have my app in at UT housing and I was also shopping around for other places. As it became apparent I wasn't getting UT housing, I went with a different place. I was on the list early but I put my move-in date as August, which was the big mistake.

I don't know when Welcome Weekend or whatever it's called is.

Two questions:

i live in clear lake (about 20 min south) but will move to htown when classes start, but i come down to memorial park often and go mountain biking. I think mem park is one of the best spots for that, its really amazing thats its right inside the loop but looks like it belongs in austin! it has everything from beginner to decently technical. great for running too. Also, houston has a ton of running events form 5ks to marathons. Im doing the mardi gras beach run 5k this weekend in galveston.

true, houston is no austin, but you can find some cool outdoor things to do if you look hard enough!

Thanks for all the replies everyone, that really helps!

Yeah, I've mountain biked on the trails at Memorial once, and thought it was great. I definitely expected Houston to not be as outdoors oriented as Austin, but it's nice to hear that there's still plenty of stuff to do.

I also heard from one of my friends that The AntHills are also a good place to bike. Haven't had a chance to check it out.

http://www.terryhersheypark.org/index.php

Also...did UTH release a list of names of all the people that were accepted for the class of 2014? Just curious.

Thanks for the apartment advice! I didn't know about shuttle services so I'll definitely have to look into that over spring break.

Looks like I'll have to get a new computer... my mac only has 2GB of ram, not 4GB. It is somewhat old and I bought it for $800 from my undergrad's IT sale, so its not too huge of a deal to buy a new one. I'll wait for the new ones this summer. Kind of excited at the prospect of getting a new mac :thumbup:!

Do you guys know when we might get all of our acceptance stuff in the mail?

Do you guys know when we might get all of our acceptance stuff in the mail?
My guesstimate is sometime in the next few weeks! I think I received mine in early Marchish. There will be a ton of papers in it including all the stuff you have to have done before school starts, Welcome Weekend info!, info about computers, white coat ordering, etc. Lots of good stuff :thumbup:

Sorry to revisit the housing topic again, however, my wife and I have been surprised/discouraged by the amount of crime that is being reported in the medical center area. In general, are there areas/specific complexes that do not have the break-ins, etc.? Or are the on-line apartment reviews just kind of exaggerating the crime problem?

I don't live in Houston yet, so I'll let a current student reply more specifically, but the medical center is a downtown area- there is definitely going to be crime no matter which city you're in.

Best bet is to find apartments with lots of safety precautions. Gated communities with attached parking garages, attendants, individual alarm systems, etc. These tend to be pretty expensive, which is the downfall. My parents are loaning me the money for living expenses (whoo interest free loans!) so I am lucky in that respect.

If you want a list of apartments close to the medical center that are really safe (and semi expensive, sorry), let me know and I can PM you the list I've compiled. The ones on my list are also pet friendly because I have a dog.

Does anyone know about when we should try to finalize living arrangements? Since I'm looking for a house or condo my choices are more slim so I've been looking into different areas, but its only February so I feel like I'm jumping the gun! Do people generally wait until June to sign a July or August start date, or will that be too late and everything already be rented out?

Sorry to revisit the housing topic again, however, my wife and I have been surprised/discouraged by the amount of crime that is being reported in the medical center area. In general, are there areas/specific complexes that do not have the break-ins, etc.? Or are the on-line apartment reviews just kind of exaggerating the crime problem?
There is crime. I wouldn't say it's entirely rampant, but nowhere really seems to be immune. There was a rash of car break-ins in some gated, nicer apartment complexes with parking garages. I had some sort of armed robbery in my gated community. A lady was shot at the grocery store. These are all places right near UT student housing.
Moving somewhere like Meyerland might reduce crime, but adds in commute issues. The Rice Village area will be lower in crime as well, but will probably have significantly higher costs. There are some other areas on the east side of Hermann Park that are pretty nice/safe, but a little more expensive.

Does anyone know about when we should try to finalize living arrangements? Since I'm looking for a house or condo my choices are more slim so I've been looking into different areas, but its only February so I feel like I'm jumping the gun! Do people generally wait until June to sign a July or August start date, or will that be too late and everything already be rented out?
I was watching the available units at somewhere like Archstone as the summer progressed. Every day you could see some options get rented out and the cost of the available units go up. If that's an issue to you, you may wish to find a place sooner.
I pretty much decided where I was going to live and saw plenty of options, so I didn't rent my place until late July.

I live in Brompton Court. We have a gate and parking garages, but still get waves of car break-ins every few months.

Taking everything of value out of your car every time you leave it seems to be the best way to avoid crime.

There is crime. I wouldn't say it's entirely rampant, but nowhere really seems to be immune. There was a rash of car break-ins in some gated, nicer apartment complexes with parking garages. I had some sort of armed robbery in my gated community. A lady was shot at the grocery store. These are all places right near UT student housing.
Moving somewhere like Meyerland might reduce crime, but adds in commute issues. The Rice Village area will be lower in crime as well, but will probably have significantly higher costs. There are some other areas on the east side of Hermann Park that are pretty nice/safe, but a little more expensive.

Thieves piss me off. If I were to cohost with Michael Berry for a week, we could talk 2 hours per day the whole week about how much thieves suck.

Joe Pags on the 950 had his Escalade stolen in Dallas though the police recovered it.

And then I was at lunch today and the 12:00 news reported an HPD officer about to go on duty was shot after some lowlifes were taking electronics out of an apartment on the northwest side.

Does anyone know when Welcome Weekend is? I heard it would be in April (?) and I just need to book a flight soon. Eight hour drive to Houston, so southwest is cheaper if I book early.

Also, sorry if this is a dumb question: do people bring their parents/families to wecome weekend or is it more for the new class to meet and get to know everyone?