UT-Houston School Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
mine might come. I think we're leaning toward not, though.

I think mine might not come either so I can concentrate on getting to know my new classmates.

Members don't see this ad.

Starting my move into my apartment today... this should be fun. Not looking forward to the actual moving, but starting med school is exciting as hell.

Members don't see this ad :)
did you get university housing?

Nope - rooming at the Amalfi. Nobody else should though, the management was terrible. Didn't let us know what we needed to move in, nearly let us walk out at one point rather than resolving issues, etc. Finally got it all sorted out though, so we're staying because I'd rather not look any more.

So, long story short, don't room at the Amalfi.

Anyone else irrationally excited for retreat? I know I'm ready to meet yall...

I'm excited about meeting everyone, but I'm not really sure what to expect about a costume... The only thing I could think of for a Hollywood theme is to find a way to show blurry pictures of my crotch while exiting a vehicle..

There is a special level of hell reserved for this sort of behavior.
my wife has told me that I will be a participant.

I just may not be the most creative participant. In fact, with the idea I came up with, probably nobody would get it.

this is "Hollywood" as in a character, right? not like black tie, red carpet...?
I didn't want to be the party pooper.. :smuggrin:
oh I'm the designated party pooper. I'm so antisocial it's not even funny.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess it's a character, I was a bit unsure about it also...

Yeah... I've been mulling a few ideas over. The most ambitious one, which will most likely not happen, would be to dress in complete gold spandex and go as Oscar :D

Hey all! Make sure you sign up for a buddy. Email [email protected] if you haven't signed up already. It is just a great way to get info before school starts and during the year. Some buddies also provide old books and cookies! Mmmm. Cookies!:p

Also, about the retreat, I didn't believe the hype last year but yes, everyone does dress up and people do a great job and it is a lot of fun. Even for me, the OLDEST one in the class. :)

I have been reading your posts for a while, Army and I expect great things from you!!:thumbup:

I may be one of the oldest students in the class. I'm 27 and married.

Every class I've seen so far has at least one token 30-40 year old, so you should be OK.

P.S. There are a depressingly high number of married students, and a fair number punch their tickets during the summers after first or second year.

Every class I've seen so far has at least one token 30-40 year old, so you should be OK.

P.S. There are a depressingly high number of married students, and a fair number punch their tickets during the summers after first or second year.
why "depressingly" high? what's wrong with being married?

I may be one of the oldest students in the class. I'm 27 and married.

I'm 28 married w/ a 9mo. old baby. I'm in the Pre-entry program and have met several other older than average students: 2 others are 28, one 32, talked to one guy on the phone who I think is 35, and one 38, and this is just out of the 30 or so students I know. I'm sure there will be plenty more geriatrics when the whole class gets together.

I'm 28 married w/ a 9mo. old baby. I'm in the Pre-entry program and have met several other older than average students: 2 others are 28, one 32, talked to one guy on the phone who I think is 35, and one 38, and this is just out of the 30 or so students I know. I'm sure there will be plenty more geriatrics when the whole class gets together.
how's the program going? excited for the school year to start?

sweet! another member of the old geezer, no-fun, married crew! welcome!

Awesome! I need to buy some sweaters and penny loafers so people will know I'm in the cool crew.

how's the program going? excited for the school year to start?

I think its been helpful for me to get back into a study routine and to be reexposed to some of the science. The last formal science class I took was in 2002, and my brain has started to atrophy while working at AT&T, so hopefully by the time it really matters I will be ready. They expect a lot out of you during pre-entry, so I kinda feel like the school year has already started for me, but I am looking forward to meeting everybody during orientation.

Anyone know where i can get the book list? I just want to scope out al of the books and try to figure out which ones i need to buy.

Anyone know where i can get the book list? I just want to scope out al of the books and try to figure out which ones i need to buy.

I know you really want to buy books, but try to hold off if you can help yourself. What books you really need, depends on you and how you study, what you get from lecture, and if you really like to read. Also, your 2nd year buddy may give you a lot of books too. And there can be deals to be found at half price books. The list they give you is huge, and unless you LOVE books, you really don't need them all.

If you can't hold yourself back, the link for the booklist is on the right. http://med.uth.tmc.edu/administration/edu_programs/ep/schedules/index.htm

If you HAVE to buy a book before school, buy the Bate's Guide to Physical Examination. You will use it. Wait on the others. I am old school ( I am old ) an I bought a bunch of books and there are definitely some that I would have liked to have not purchased! I know it is hard to wait, but buying the Bate's is a no brainer. My preceptor that I worked with this summer looked stuff up in it and she has been out of school for 18 years.

Netter's Atlas is a must-have for your first semester. It will be your Bible for gross anatomy. Mine was in pristine condition in August but when December rolled around, pages had stains and were falling out, the cover had a billion creases, etc. I would have given it to my first year buddy but it looked like it had survived a couple of tornadoes.

I didn't use the netter's as much as we used Dr. Ross' book. That way my godsend. Also, some of the tables at the orientation give you a free netter's or netter's for ipod if you sign up for the TMA/AMA, etc.

Random, but is anyone else in houston already? I'm just bored out of my mind. I moved here a bit too early it seems and i just wanna do something with someone. Also, does anyone else live in Archstone?

Random, but is anyone else in houston already? I'm just bored out of my mind. I moved here a bit too early it seems and i just wanna do something with someone. Also, does anyone else live in Archstone?

I'm in Houston and wouldn't mind grabbing a beer sometime.

I'm down, if anyone wants to go out for anything, let me know. I'm John Burleson and I'm on Facebook. I think there are like 3 or 4, I'm in the Dallas/Ft. Worth Network.

I'm living in the Amalfi, which is managed by Archstone. Is that what you mean?

I'm in Houston too, and it would be great to get together and meet some of yall.

Yeah I'm down for meeting up too. Anybody want to play a round of golf?

Yeah I'm down for meeting up too. Anybody want to play a round of golf?
I'm game for a round of golf. If it isn't tomorrow I won't be back in town until next week or so..

I'm game for a round of golf. If it isn't tomorrow I won't be back in town until next week or so..

Ya I can shoot for tomorrow probably anytime after 12. Is there anycourse in particular?

Ya I can shoot for tomorrow probably anytime after 12. Is there anycourse in particular?
I haven't played Hermann Park yet. It's right there next to school and it's a municipal course so it's reasonably priced. Anytime that's good for you is good for me.

Anybody else want to join us?

I haven't played Hermann Park yet. It's right there next to school and it's a municipal course so it's reasonably priced. Anytime that's good for you is good for me.

Anybody else want to join us?

I might join you guys. There are a couple scary holes at Hermann Park, but it's a nice course.

Early afternoon works for me.

I made a tee-time for 11:30 but can change it to whatever works best