UT-Houston School Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm still in Nashville until the 7th :( Wish I could be hanging out with you guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Damn, I wish I could hit the course tomorrow but I have a friend coming in to visit. Sad because I just got some new shoes I need to break in.

is anybody going to limit their guests at the white coat ceremony to 3-4? I've got like 5-6 who absolutely want to come. I told them they could just stand if there's no seating.

Members don't see this ad :)
We should all do something this wknd if yall are free. Maybe a sports bar or bowling. I dont care just something cheap (Loans havent comin yet!).

Army - I am bringing 3, and im sure alot of others will just have 1 or 2 there.

We should all do something this wknd if yall are free. Maybe a sports bar or bowling. I dont care just something cheap (Loans havent comin yet!).

I'll be back in town Monday morning, maybe Sunday night. Maybe we can hit Woodrows or Buffalo Wild Wings

haha

did any of you have to choose your own electric & internet provider? if so, who did you go with?

go to http://www.powertochoose.org/ to compare companies for your electric provider. You can choose whoever you want, if you want renewable sources Green Mountain and Gexa Energy come to mind. Some companies have cash back or frequent flier rewards based on how much your monthly bill is. Reliant and TXU have been kind of sucky when my parents had them in the past.

As for internet, I believe the only options in the med center area are Comcast, AT&T and Direct TV, unless somehow you do it through your wireless company. Check to make sure your apt complex doesn't already have a contract with one company.

I'm on powertochoose, I just didn't know if any are more reliable or less shady than orders. I was thinking of going with Gexa or Texas Power.

thanks for the info

I'm on powertochoose, I just didn't know if any are more reliable or less shady than orders. I was thinking of going with Gexa or Texas Power.

thanks for the info
Gexa is very reliable, I have them now. The only issue is you can't view/pay online (or if you can, there is a fee) so I've always had to mail my payment in, kind of annoying. Reliant, TXU, Direct Energy, Green Mountain (I know someone that works for them) have all been around for a long time. I know people who have had Stream, Ambit, and Texas Power- no issues. The others I have never heard of.

Members don't see this ad :)

Bowling is always fun. I'd be up for that.

haha

did any of you have to choose your own electric & internet provider? if so, who did you go with?

I'm signed up with AT&T for cable/internet, and went with Green Mountain Energy for electric. They have a 100% green plan (marginally important) and 11.7 c/kwh (much more important). When I called Reliant and TXU they were both much more expensive.

I'm signed up with AT&T for cable/internet, and went with Green Mountain Energy for electric. They have a 100% green plan (marginally important) and 11.7 c/kwh (much more important). When I called Reliant and TXU they were both much more expensive.
Gexa is at like 10.6. doubt it will make a huge difference monthly, though.

Gexa is at like 10.6. doubt it will make a huge difference monthly, though.

My parents had a few friends who didn't like Gexa, so they steered me clear of it. Hopefully you'll find it better than they did... then again, I'm sure there's always a third party who had a bad experience with <x> company :laugh:

Random, but is anyone else in houston already? I'm just bored out of my mind. I moved here a bit too early it seems and i just wanna do something with someone. Also, does anyone else live in Archstone?
you should have said something about wanting a roommate at Archstone, we could have worked something out :)

Army, You living in Archstone?

I actually have a 2 bedroom, but i want to meet my roommate before i get one. i have done pot luck before and decided against it in medical school, so hopefully i can get one by January or so.

Army, You living in Archstone?

I actually have a 2 bedroom, but i want to meet my roommate before i get one. i have done pot luck before and decided against it in medical school, so hopefully i can get one by January or so.
I was set on living in Archstone, but people kept getting the cheaper ones. I found a condo at One Montreal Place (just down El Paseo) for a bit cheaper than a one-bed at Archstone would have been.

Wow, moving in is a bitch. Just got one more load of quasi-unnecessary stuff and I'm finally in.

What's the deal with Thursday's interview social? Anyone have details?

Wow, moving in is a bitch. Just got one more load of quasi-unnecessary stuff and I'm finally in.

What's the deal with Thursday's interview social? Anyone have details?
Dunno. We should start crashing them, though.

I wonder if they ever have them at the Flying Saucer. I have 140 more beers to go.

where you been? it's been a while

Yes it has been a while haha. I decided to work at a summer camp this summer and I've been there for the past 10 weeks. Finally got back a couple days ago and I'm ready to start!

Dunno. We should start crashing them, though.

I wonder if they ever have them at the Flying Saucer. I have 140 more beers to go.

i think they don't have them there because downtown is crazy and parking is hard....not that parking is easy in rice village....though flying saucer would be AWESOME!! We stopped by there at my bachelorette party

i think they don't have them there because downtown is crazy and parking is hard....not that parking is easy in rice village....though flying saucer would be AWESOME!! We stopped by there at my bachelorette party
doesn't the light rail go right by it?

do you know if visiting interviewees can take the UT shuttle if they stay with a student the night before?

doesn't the light rail go right by it?

do you know if visiting interviewees can take the UT shuttle if they stay with a student the night before?

It does, though the nearest stops are a couple blocks away (not that that matters). Most people don't live near enough the rail that they wouldn't bitch about having to haul up there though, and the rail takes a good half-hour from my end near the TMC to the downtown area anyway.

I think the school provides some sort of shuttle day pass in the mail packet the interviewees receive. I know mine did last year.

And everyone I ask is equally clueless about that big mess they've made on the side of the MSB. It's been going on for maybe six months now. I think it even caused some flooding when they were digging around the school basement, maybe penetrated the main building's watertight perimeter or something. That's what I heard at least. :confused:

For those interested, I've done some internet digging.
It looks like the plans are to house a generator and electrical equipment for the medical school.

http://www.uth.tmc.edu/med/comm/Scoop/archive/2009/07/scoop-2009-07-23.html
Construction in front of the Medical School building continues as workers complete the last FEMA project resulting from Tropical Storm Allison destruction in 2001.
A one-story vault to house CenterPoint Energy equipment is being constructed to modernize and restore the electrical reliability of the Medical School building.
Access to the Fannin entrance of the Medical School should be granted in October, and the electrical equipment is scheduled to come online in January, according to Perry Graham, Project Management and Engineering Services.
"This is a delayed project, which is funded on a cost-sharing basis with FEMA," Graham said. "When the Medical School building was originally constructed, this equipment was located in the basement."
As a result of basement flooding in 2001, the electrical equipment was returned to the basement, then moved outside. The new building is being constructed above the 500-year floodplain, a FEMA requirement.
The temporary facility on the west side of the Learning Resource Center will be removed in February, restoring the window visibility.
No window offices are expected to be impacted by the construction of the vault. The berm stairs in front of the Fannin entrance to the building are being narrowed somewhat to accommodate the new building.

http://www.uth.tmc.edu/med/comm/Scoop/archive/2009/07/scoop-2009-07-09.html
A construction worker attaches a support to a column in front of the Medical School Tuesday, June 23. A new building, scheduled to be completed later this year, will house a generator for the school's power plant.

http://med.uth.tmc.edu/comm/construction/index.html
As the first phase of the 5KV generator comes to a close, there will be two additional electrical interruptions at the Medical School Building...

I know that back in college I would have all of my books by now, but I'm a little hesitant to buy before getting multiple opinions on which books to buy or whether to buy them or not....

Has anybody bought any books yet?

I haven't. I'm meeting my MS2 buddy on Sunday and she said she had a lot of stuff to give me, so I'm holding off to see if that includes books.

In other news, I'm finally posting from my place in Houston. Got in about an hour ago.

I haven't. I'm meeting my MS2 buddy on Sunday and she said she had a lot of stuff to give me, so I'm holding off to see if that includes books.

In other news, I'm finally posting from my place in Houston. Got in about an hour ago.

wooohoo!!! I should come pester you!

Good deal Army. You'll have to come out with us at some point. Where did you say you were living again?

Anyone come up with any other good costumes for retreat?

Good deal Army. You'll have to come out with us at some point. Where did you say you were living again?

I'm in a condo at One Montreal Place (2120 El Paseo)

I don't think anybody's going to get my costume. I think they'll think I'm not even in a costume.

I was thinking about "Dr. Strangelove," but wrote it off when I couldn't find a wheelchair.

I was thinking about "Dr. Strangelove," but wrote it off when I couldn't find a wheelchair.

I was at goodwill yesterday and they had cheap crutches... anything you can do with that? I was thinking lieutenant Dan, but most costumes involving crutches are probably pretty insensitive.

what's everyone up to tonight/this weekend?

I think the wife and I were considering a movie (after margaritas at Pappasitos)

I'm at work all day today and tomorrow. I'm gonna watch the UFC fight tonight.

what's everyone up to tonight/this weekend?

I think the wife and I were considering a movie (after margaritas at Pappasitos)

I'm free tonight and tomorrow.

holy crap, don't go near Reliant.

if I hadn't shared a pitcher of margaritas with my wife, I'd see if anyone else wanted to go to the movies. Actually, I should be fine in another hour or two if anyone feels like going.

holy crap, don't go near Reliant.
I know!!!!!!! I was on 610 earlier and and everything was fine until....WTF.

Then I remembered that George Strait is in town. :rolleyes:

Hope everyone's move to Houston is going well!

I know!!!!!!! I was on 610 earlier and and everything was fine until....WTF.

Then I remembered that George Strait is in town. :rolleyes:

Hope everyone's move to Houston is going well!
We showed up at the Pappasitos only to hear there was a 2 hour wait! Then we went to one down Kirby which was also packed...

Pretty crazy. The traffic on 610 on the way back was ridiculous.

We showed up at the Pappasitos only to hear there was a 2 hour wait! Then we went to one down Kirby which was also packed...

Pretty crazy. The traffic on 610 on the way back was ridiculous.
Oooh yeah. Pappasitos and Pappadeux on Kirby are packed on the weekends. PACKED. I tried to go to Pappasitos the other month on a Saturday night. Bad idea. I went across the street to Pappadeux and that was also a bad idea.

I settled for Pappas BBQ. :)

How's the condo?

Oooh yeah. Pappasitos and Pappadeux on Kirby are packed on the weekends. PACKED. I tried to go to Pappasitos the other month on a Saturday night. Bad idea. I went across the street to Pappadeux and that was also a bad idea.

How's the condo?

I hit up the original Pappasitos the other night. They have a great special going - fajitas for 2, half off. It winds up being about 16 bucks for two meals for two people (4 meals for us).

I also hit Pappas BBQ today, even witnessed a pretty good fender bender in the parking lot.

How's the condo?
We were surprised because we tried to get there ~3:30, figuring we'd miss the lunch crowd and beat the dinner crowd, but it was packed. Everyone was in country garb, so I assume they were concert-goers.

I like my condo. I still don't have a bed or furniture, so it's awfully boring, but it's in a good location. It will work out well for me.

I hit up the original Pappasitos the other night. They have a great special going - fajitas for 2, half off. It winds up being about 16 bucks for two meals for two people (4 meals for us).

I also hit Pappas BBQ today, even witnessed a pretty good fender bender in the parking lot.
Which one is that? Is it on Richmond? The one we went to last night was also having a deal on fajitas (and margaritas). May have been the same one?