UT Houston class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, my wife and I are more than likely going to be moving down to Pearland. We've been looking around har.com and have found homes for rent in the City Park and Shadow Creek Ranch developments for reasonable prices.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, my wife and I are more than likely going to be moving down to Pearland. We've been looking around har.com and have found homes for rent in the City Park and Shadow Creek Ranch developments for reasonable prices.

Thanks! I'll check it out...

How nice is the new housing, El Paseo?

I got in off the waitlist for Unit 3, which is 650 square feet. I have no idea with square footage, is this a decent living size or is it cramped?

I was able to tour Lanesborough and thought it was really nice. I loved the pool and fitness area and thought the apartment at 725sq feet was a perfect size. However, I hear crime is a problem there.

Can anybody compare El Paseo with the Lanesborough? I have to make a decision by tonight since I have to overnight my deposit tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad :)
New housing is nice. I think you'll be happy there.

Thanks, where do you live by chance? Are you familiar at all with the Lanesborough? It seemed pretty luxurious when I was there....I just really wish I had a chance to see UT Housing or that they at least had pictures of an apartment online.

I live in a condo near university housing. The Lanesborough is nice, I'm sure several med students live there. you hear about cars getting broken into there, but that's not unusual for pretty much anywhere near the med center

Hey armybound, would you mind sharing the condo complex name? How do you get to school from you condo? Also, how happy are you with the home owners association and the complex in general if you bought?

It's called One Montreal Place. If you search har.com the address will be 2120 El Paseo St.

It's right by El Paseo and Cambridge, so it's a couple minutes' walk to the UT shuttles. I just ride those to/from school.

I did not buy, but aggiesarah2007 did. She's on rotations right now so I don't know if she'll get a chance to chime in, but I'll try to tell her to.

Are you familiar at all with the Lanesborough?

Not to single out the Lanesborough, but I think it would only be fair to point out that last semester one of our classmates apartment at Lanesborough was broken into and had her laptop stolen, among other things.

I'm going to be at the Arcadian on Kirby and Braeswood, so everyone else should check it out :D

Not to single out the Lanesborough, but I think it would only be fair to point out that last semester one of our classmates apartment at Lanesborough was broken into and had her laptop stolen, among other things.

I've heard of this...reading reviews, it seems that the problem mostly occurs on first floor apartments and people get in through the porch. Do you know if your classmate was on the first floor?

I've heard of this...reading reviews, it seems that the problem mostly occurs on first floor apartments and people get in through the porch. Do you know if your classmate was on the first floor?

sorry, I don't know which floor it was on.... nonetheless, scary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay so I posted this about a month and a half ago but just in case there are any newbies to this thread or anyone still looking for housing...

I am currently an MSIII at UTH and I'm looking for a roommate for next year. Basics: female, non-smoker, no pets, W/D in the apartment, 2/2 fully furnished except for your bedroom, walk-in closets, drive up covered garage, move in anytime in August 2010

rent + electric/utilities/cable/internet = $700 + $100-$175 (your cost)

I have lived at the Arcadian on Braeswood and Kirby for two years and I absolutely love it. My roommate is getting married and moving out so I need someone to come take her place. It is very close to the med center but in one of the safer areas **knock on wood** and there is a shuttle at the complex or a free bus stop a few blocks away.

If you are the kind of person who needs her own space but is trying to cut down on expenses, this is perfect for you! The apartment is spacious (1142 sq. ft.) and the two bed/bath areas are separated by the kitchen/living area. We would split rent, electric, internet, etc. Also, I may be able to help calm you down when you are freaking out before your first block tests!

PM me if you are interested or email [email protected].

Does anybody know if the El Paseo apartments have a dishwasher?

"Each apartment is carpeted and comes equipped with an all-electric kitchen. The El Paseo property offers washers and dryers in each apartment. The Cambridge property offers coin operated washers and dryers housed in three laundry rooms."

Got this from the housing website. It also shows a picture of the kitchen in el paseo, but the picture is tiny and I'm not able to copy or save it. This is the website: http://ae.uth.tmc.edu/housing/index2.htm.

Does anyone know when we might hear about financial aid?

financial aid was very slow to get in touch with us last year. I want to say I didn't get my package until July or something.

"Each apartment is carpeted and comes equipped with an all-electric kitchen. The El Paseo property offers washers and dryers in each apartment. The Cambridge property offers coin operated washers and dryers housed in three laundry rooms."

Got this from the housing website. It also shows a picture of the kitchen in el paseo, but the picture is tiny and I'm not able to copy or save it. This is the website: http://ae.uth.tmc.edu/housing/index2.htm.

Does anyone know when we might hear about financial aid?

Thanks...I saw that description but wasn't sure what the term all-electric involved. Technically my apartment now is all electric...electric stove, microwave, and fridge, but no dishwasher. I guess I'll just assume it does include one

financial aid was very slow to get in touch with us last year. I want to say I didn't get my package until July or something.

So...for those of us who need information from the financial aid office in order to be approved for an apartment, is there anything we can get from them before the end of June/July? My wife and I are planning on moving down at the end of June and we found a place to live, but can't be approved until the financial aid package comes through so we are starting to get a little worried about it.

So...for those of us who need information from the financial aid office in order to be approved for an apartment, is there anything we can get from them before the end of June/July? My wife and I are planning on moving down at the end of June and we found a place to live, but can't be approved until the financial aid package comes through so we are starting to get a little worried about it.
I'm not sure. You can try contacting them, though.

http://sfs.uth.tmc.edu/contact.html#aid

Just curious... im not a fan of social netowrking so i ahve no facebook page, but i've seen a lot of facebook stuff for UT houston. Is in really helpful to have a facebook page for school stuff? do you miss out on anything important and school related or just social things? Thanks!!!

and yes, i realize that sdn could be classified as social networking :laugh: but i dont count that becuase its so helpful to everyone!!!

you're not missing anything. if there's something they want you to know they'll email you about it.

you will get to know a lot of your classmates on facebook though

There's nothing really important posted on Facebook, just some goofing off. I'd say that getting on to your class's Google Groups mailing list is pretty important, though.

There's nothing really important posted on Facebook, just some goofing off. I'd say that getting on to your class's Google Groups mailing list is pretty important, though.

I'm guessing we don't need to worry about that until school starts?

Also, Euskal, could you tell us what financial aid told you about when we will hear about financial aid?

I emailed them a few weeks ago and they just said they would begin to process FAFSA's soon and would let us know, but they never gave me a time frame. I guess maybe June/July according to armybound... but that just seems so late. I was going to say, what if someone is deciding between here and an OOS school, but I guess it doesn't matter too much because chances are, UTH is less expensive regardless of fin. aid from the other school.

yeah, I wouldn't expect to pay any less than full tuition. I'm sure pretty much everyone will be offered subsidized and unsibsidized loans. I don't think anyone really gets grants, and scholarships are pretty rare.

When I called the financial aid office they just told me that I should probably not expect to hear back from them until end of May - June. I thought the same thing about that being incredibly late, most of my friends going to schools outside of Texas have already received their financial aid packages.

Could someone tell me about the parking situation along El Paseo St by the rec and student housing? If you lock, take and hide are you pretty safe leaving your car there? Is it a nightmare to find parking along the street in the morning, midday, afternoon?

Last edited:
I've never seen any cars get broken into along El Paseo. It's a fairly busy street, so I don't think anyone would break into those cars.
When I leave for school any time before 10am, there seems to be plenty of parking. If you try to get there between 10 and maybe 3 or 4, finding a spot would be pretty difficult.

FYI, there is movement on the El Paseo housing list. Got a call from them for an early June move-in.

I was able to tour Lanesborough and thought it was really nice. However, I hear crime is a problem there.

Heard a report of armed car jacking at the Lanesborough. There was also an attempted car jacking a block away from the Lanesborough about a month ago. Don't live at that place, it's a crime magnet.

Last edited:
hey all. got in off the waitlist, and i decided this is the place for me. however, its been over a week since i got the email and i still havent gotten the paperwork in the mail... its making me a bit paranoid.

Hi guys! Has anyone who was accepted in the last 2 weeks gotten their acceptance packet yet?

i did, it took a while though.

Hey, so I've been getting my immunization stuff together. I recently got my TB test and meningitis vaccine (wow I should have gotten that forever ago!). I have verification that I have received all shots required; I got most of them when I was a kid and my tetanus within the 10-yr time frame.

This is all I need right? No titers or anything?

Also, I wear a smaller size than the sizes of white coat offered by the UT bookstore. Can I just buy a white coat at a medical supply store and order just the patch from the bookstore? Will it look the same?

as long as the coat has the pockets in the same place and is just as short, it will look a lot like everyone else's.

Any ideas on longer sleeve lengths? I tried on coats while looking for housing and found that the sleeves came to about 2.5- 3 inches above the wrist. I know it is not supposed to fit the same as a suit coat, but it is still kind of noticibly short. Armybound I know you are tall guy did you just give up on it or did you did some other option.

yeah, I've been struggling with the short sleeves as well. I know there are "tall" sizes sold by the same company (Dilly) but I haven't sprung for one yet. Those are probably worth looking at. This has the right pocket placement.

I've heard that it's supposed to be nice having the sleeves a little shorter because you won't get them as dirty when you're seeing patients. It looks pretty dumb when your shirt sleeves are showing full cuff + sleeve, though.

Hey does anyone know for the ppl who were accepted on June 2 if they have gotten there letter. I havent yet and its driving me crazy!!! lol
I just want some concrete proof!! lol I hope itll come tomo!!

I know how you feel, I was completely set on going to UTHSCSA and had found housing, registered for classes, started MPH summer classes, etc. Then I got into Houston June 2nd, same day as you, and am starting the whole settling in/registration process over. I haven't gotten my acceptance packet either, but I called a few days ago and was told the Dean didn't sign the acceptance letters until late Monday, so we should get the packets by the end of this week. I'll probably call back Monday if I haven't received it by then.

Hey omg I feel like were in the same boat!! lol the only dif is that i was supposed togo to UTMB and was deadset on it and even told myself it was for sure no matter wat until i actually got the email lol then i spent bout 5 mins and decided on UTH!! lol And dont feel bad I started doing prep here at UTMb and discontinued the program it was real awkward for me cuz everyone here made me feel like a traitor and told me im gonna regret going to UTH etc... So ya i know how u feel lol but i agree it better come in today!!

Hey I hope someone can clarify this for me??!!

Anyway I notified UTMB that I wasnt going to attend there via email and she sent me a response saying good luck at Houston. The thing is I never told her I was going to UTH. How did she know?? Do they have access to know our rankings or acceptances? Does anyone know??

Did you get your acceptance packet already? I'm still waiting on mine, getting kind of nervous since I already withdrew from UTHSCSA

Hey i just got my packed today!!! I live in San Antonio so it just depends on where you live cuz alot of ppl got their packets yesterday but I called the admissions office this past week and they confirmed my acceptance so just call they will let you know!!!

There was no info in the acceptance packet about finaid, or registering for classes, or setting up an email account, etc. Are we supposed to wait until they send that information or am I supposed to be doing something about it? I sent an email to the admissions office about it and was directed to the registrar's office, and was directed by them back to the admissions office.

You will be automatically registered for classes. Finaid will send you a packet hopefully before too long.. end of June/early July.

You won't set up your email and everything until orientation in August.