UT-Houston School Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow, no family members or guests at the white coat ceremony?

That's going to throw off a lot of plans for my family.
Really? This must be a new thing for the school this year. I know other schools have that policy due to area constraints. It must have been getting too crowded in that building.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how correct the schedule posted online is? Are those going to be the official test weeks or was it just copied from last year? I have some future plans I want to set up and am trying to schedule around the tests.

Also, whats up with the finals? The week before you have tests #3 and then the next week are finals. That seems brutal to say the least. Is it really as bad as that sounds? Thanks.

Does anyone know how correct the schedule posted online is? Are those going to be the official test weeks or was it just copied from last year? I have some future plans I want to set up and am trying to schedule around the tests.

Also, whats up with the finals? The week before you have tests #3 and then the next week are finals. That seems brutal to say the least. Is it really as bad as that sounds? Thanks.
Are you looking at the MS1 Fall 2009/2010 schedule? If so, then yes, that is the official and correct schedule.

In case anyone is wondering what I'm talking about, go here: https://one45.uth.tmc.edu/app/cal/

Yeah, the last few weeks of the semester do seem brutal with block exams and then finals right after, but honestly you're going to feel so tired and numb that you won't even care much about finals. They're just going to come and go. Besides, you'll remember much more than you expect once finals come! Just make sure you do the best you can with your normal aka block exams and then you won't have to worry much about finals.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, no family members or guests at the white coat ceremony?

That's going to throw off a lot of plans for my family.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you hear this from? I also had family members coming down for the ceremony so that ruins those plans.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you hear this from? I also had family members coming down for the ceremony so that ruins those plans.

They sent out an e-mail saying that today.

Did they state why?

I just emailed asking why. I think that is kind of rotten because our parents/family would enjoy this thing more than we will. I think it would be better to make it where our parents could attend, or put it at a later date where we know some of our classmates and would like seeing them get their coat.

Did they state why?

I just received the email and it states,

"Because the room is relatively small, we cannot accommodate family members and friends at the ceremony. (However, the program will be video-taped and available on the internet.)"

Yeah, I'm sure my family wants to watch the recorded version :rolleyes:

I just received the email and it states,

"Because the room is relatively small, we cannot accommodate family members and friends at the ceremony. (However, the program will be video-taped and available on the internet.)"

Yeah, I'm sure my family wants to watch the recorded version :rolleyes:

Am I right in thinking that the ceremony just involved us getting our name called and putting on a white coat? Not sure I'd invite anyone to Houston just to watch that.

Am I right in thinking that the ceremony just involved us getting our name called and putting on a white coat? Not sure I'd invite anyone to Houston just to watch that.

From what I've heard that's pretty much all the ceremony entails but I think it gives the family an opportunity to be proud and lend their support. My cousin (currently a resident) wanted to come down for the ceremony.

that's pretty much it, but you can be sure that I would be extremely proud of having my wife see me put on that coat, and I can bet my parents would be even more proud to watch it.

honestly, I see no point in going to this ceremony just to have someone put a coat on me if my parents and wife can't watch it.

that's pretty much it, but you can be sure that I would be extremely proud of having my wife see me put on that coat, and I can bet my parents would be even more proud to watch it.

honestly, I see no point in going to this ceremony just to have someone put a coat on me if my parents and wife can't watch it.

Yeah no joke, the only reason why I was going to the white coat ceremony was b/c I have family in Houston who wanted to come. It really wouldn't feel like a ceremony for me if they are not there. :rolleyes:

Yeah no joke, the only reason why I was going to the white coat ceremony was b/c I have family in Houston who wanted to come. It really wouldn't feel like a ceremony for me if they are not there. :rolleyes:
My mom had already told me that my grandma and her 2 sisters had planned on coming to it. My wife was planning on being there, her mom and dad, my mom and dad, stepmom, stepbrother, etc.

Guess I need to tell them all to make other plans.

I wonder if we can complain enough about it to get it changed to a different location.

Members don't see this ad :)
My mom had already told me that my grandma and her 2 sisters had planned on coming to it. My wife was planning on being there, her mom and dad, my mom and dad, stepmom, stepbrother, etc.

Guess I need to tell them all to make other plans.

I wonder if we can complain enough about it to get it changed to a different location.

Heck, I'd like to complain for you. That is ridiculous. The white coat ceremony is for the family. You could sign the ethical pledge at orientation. The place where they had it last year is now closed (they're turning it into offices or something). The ceremony is the time for your family to be able to say that's my kid/niece/nephew/etc. I have to run up to school tomorrow and I'm going to ask Dr. Kellaway about it if she is around

So where is everyone living in the fall? They weren't accepting anybody for the waitlist anymore at University Housing (kind of expected that), so I'm looking at other places. I looked at a few other places, but I'm not sure what I should expect to pay to live near the TMC.. Any tips from the folks who have lived there for a while?

So where is everyone living in the fall? They weren't accepting anybody for the waitlist anymore at University Housing (kind of expected that), so I'm looking at other places. I looked at a few other places, but I'm not sure what I should expect to pay to live near the TMC.. Any tips from the folks who have lived there for a while?

I was able to get into University Housing so that's where I'll be living. I don't know a whole lot about the area but during Welcome Weekend there was an apartment tour and unless you are in University Housing, you should expect to pay at least $900/month for a one bedroom apartment in the area. I'm not sure if you will find anything cheaper than that.

have you been getting the emails from our classmates looking for roommates? I can forward some of them to you if you want.

look at renting a condo. they tend to be a lot cheaper than the popular apartments like lanesborough.

I live in a condo and like it a lot. (we bought it, but there are a lot for rent). its close to the shuttle and we can have our dog :) (it is hard to find anywhere to let you have a 100 pound dog)

have you been getting the emails from our classmates looking for roommates? I can forward some of them to you if you want.
I haven't, but I'm don't think I want to live with anybody for the first year at least.

Also, what is the amount of financial aid offered for first year students? I'm trying to put together a budget and the only amount for financial aid I've seen was from another school where it's quite a bit cheaper to live.

I haven't, but I'm don't think I want to live with anybody for the first year at least.

Also, what is the amount of financial aid offered for first year students? I'm trying to put together a budget and the only amount for financial aid I've seen was from another school where it's quite a bit cheaper to live.

I'm not sure what your EFC is, but mine was 0, so I received enough financial to cover the cost of attendance. I don't remember the exact number, but it's just under $34,000.

When do we get our school email? My old one is about to expire. Anyone know?

$33,699 is the max loan you'll get offered. http://sfs.uth.tmc.edu/fa_docs/cost_of_attendance_uth_0910.pdf The amount is designed for only 9 months, but you can absolutely make it stretch for 12.

And this is last years thing, but it is pretty much the same http://sfs.uth.tmc.edu/fa_docs/living_expense_budget_0809.pdf

When do we get our school email? My old one is about to expire. Anyone know?

you won't get it until orientation. If you do the pre-entry you get it when that starts. But you'll have a ton of emails probably when you get it though. Its pretty silly

Great news! I got a response from Dr. Kellaway about the white coat ceremony:

Dr. K said:
Yes, Jake- the dean, Dr. Colasurdo is fixing this- they are now looking for another venue, so keep posted for the details! I know you will be glad to have your parents there! We are also!

2 for 2 today.. I got my financial aid info in as well.

it's really strange that they don't break down your bill by tuition, fees, and other expenses.

hey guys, looking forward to meeting you all soon...i have some unconfirmed news. I was talking to Dr. Kellaway on the phone about a week ago and she asked if I had bought a computer yet, i told her i was still shopping for one, to which she replied "Don't get one, the Dean is going to be approving a system by which every student will rent one from the school and return it upon graduation". First time I had heard anything about this, although I am familiar with the concept as other schools do it. BUT, i called the IT dept to see if they knew the model or any specifics, and they said that if this did go through it wouldn't be for a year. I am inclined to believe Dr. Kellaway, as she is probably more in the know, but I haven't heard anything else about it, and it would be really nice to know what the deal is regarding this. I will keep you all posted with anything else that I find out...

moving into my new place july 1st!! Gonna live downtown at the rice lofts, so a little further, but on main st (has a rail stop just outside the front door), really neat old fashioned building, if that matters to anyone!

I really doubt they'd spring some crap like that on you all at such short notice, since so many people have already purchased computers for this year. Maybe it'll happen for the 2010 incoming class. If it does happen now I predict a total ****storm.

Also, those Rice Lofts downtown look really nice. Are they affordable on a student loan budget?

Also, those Rice Lofts downtown look really nice. Are they affordable on a student loan budget?[/QUOTE]

Yes, thats the best part, I was very suprised to learn what the rent was cheaper than any other place I looked at in midtown (where I initially thought i wanted to live), figured it would be too much...and being on the rail is crucial for me, i don't like shuttles, and definitely don't like parking in the med center....done that before!

Hmm. Several of my classmates have also sent emails about finding a roommate.

I dunno.

Hey all,

I already wrote in this thread about Retreat (everyone should go!) but thought I'd semi-introduce myself and make an offer. I'm a third year starting Monday, and my roommate has just decided she wants her own place... so I wanted to know if anyone is looking to move in mid-late July or later. I live in a condo on the shuttle line, 2BR 2 bath, two floors (your room on the first floor.) Rent is $500 for everything, including electric, cable, parking spot, water, wireless internet, etc. I am female, but either male or female roommate would be fine.

IMPORTANT: I have two very friendly cats. If you aren't a cat person, you should at least be able to tolerate them - makes things easier for everyone. :)

I just received my financial aid and am about to take the 30,000 dollar plunge. Anyone else in the same boat? I was debating buying something at the store and stood there thinking, wow this isn't really anything in comparison to what I just did.

I just received my financial aid and am about to take the 30,000 dollar plunge. Anyone else in the same boat? I was debating buying something at the store and stood there thinking, wow this isn't really anything in comparison to what I just did.

I'm right there with you. Looking at $120,000 debt in 4 years makes purchases at a couple hundred dollars seem trivial.

I heard something really cool yesterday. if it's true, we should be really excited.

one of the faculty I work with here at Vandy has created this program called KnowledgeMap for the Vandy medical students. basically every single lecture/handout/syllabus they have is put online and indexed. You can search for a certain term or idea and it will pull in all lectures that are remotely relevent. I'm doing it no justice with my really poor description.

either way, rumor has it that UT-H is having KnowledgeMap installed right now. in my opinion it's a huge step forward in how our lectures and notes are handled.

Okay, so this might be a lengthy post. I got accepted off the wait list about two weeks ago, and I've been out of the country, so I have almost NO clue what's going on and where I'm at...
I was really hoping I could get a little help...

First of all, once I accept, do they send information about books, supplies, and the course schedule, or all these items things that we need to find online? Is it common to buy books beforehand, or to just come to school and buy them?

Second of all, what kind of activities/clubs/community service do first year students usually get involved in? And for anything that students get involved in, is there convenient and cheap public transportation across the metroplex? Or would having a car be beneficial? Oh, and is the UTH rec center accessible by public transportation?

Sorry I realize this is a lot of questions...but any help would definitely be appreciated...

First of all, once I accept, do they send information about books, supplies, and the course schedule, or all these items things that we need to find online? Is it common to buy books beforehand, or to just come to school and buy them?

First of all, congrats on getting in, I'll see you in August!

The book list and the schedule of classes and of events are all online. I would wait to get there to buy them as they are not always all necessary and they can get expensive really fast. I got an apartment on the rail to get to school faster, but id definitely bring a car if you have one.. i mena if you want to get groceries what are you going to do?

I heard something really cool yesterday. if it's true, we should be really excited.

one of the faculty I work with here at Vandy has created this program called KnowledgeMap for the Vandy medical students. basically every single lecture/handout/syllabus they have is put online and indexed. You can search for a certain term or idea and it will pull in all lectures that are remotely relevent. I'm doing it no justice with my really poor description.

either way, rumor has it that UT-H is having KnowledgeMap installed right now. in my opinion it's a huge step forward in how our lectures and notes are handled.

I have heard of KnowledgeMap before and everything i know about it sounds awesome. I had no idea that UT-H was getting it, but it is of no surprise. They were one of the first medical schools to video record their lectures and have always been big on technology. I'm assuming by your question about Linux awhile back that you are a big technology person so we can revel in this awesome program together!

I have heard of KnowledgeMap before and everything i know about it sounds awesome. I had no idea that UT-H was getting it, but it is of no surprise. They were one of the first medical schools to video record their lectures and have always been big on technology. I'm assuming by your question about Linux awhile back that you are a big technology person so we can revel in this awesome program together!
I heard it from a good source -- the guy who created KnowledgeMap :) I work in biomedical informatics and my wife is getting a PhD in biomedical informatics. I'm pretty interested in medical technology, especially decision support within CPOE, since that's what I'm doing right now.

I'm definitely interested in finding more people who are interested in it and getting more people up to speed. I think biomedical informatics is insanely important, but few people have a clue what it is.

I had this strange dream last night that I reapplied and re-interviewed for next year (while starting first year) to try to get a scholarship.