UT College of Pharmacy 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Another day...

Members don't see this ad.

perhaps those who have actually received interview invitations can share their stats if comfortable?

I am fairly certain that UT looks at the overall package, and not just an applicant's stats. There are so many different types of people applying to UT, and I’m sure the school knows that statistics alone don’t make an excellent pharmacist.

I made the first round of interviews, and I will post ALL of my information below.

GPA: 3.39, BS in Chemistry from UT Austin (3.51 in pre-requisites)
PCAT: 76
Pharmaceutical-Related Work Experience:
-Undergraduate researcher in organic synthesis
-Analytical chemist for a bioanalytical lab specializing
in bio-equivalency and clinical trials
-Certified pharmacy technician in retail pharmacy
Recommendations:
-Associate Dean of UT School of Public Health
-Chairman of UT Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
-Pharmacy Manager at the pharmacy where I am currently employed

Despite making the first round of interviews, I have been deferred twice (I slightly botched my interview). It was my first interview and I was really nervous. Instead of focusing on my accomplishments when practicing, I focused on all the questions I had seen on this website. Since I have an extensive resume, the interviewers asked me tons of questions about my personal experience, and I unfortunately I was unable to express myself in an eloquent manner. ugh. A suggestion to those of you who DO get a 3rd round invitation - KNOW YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS and practice talking about them in an articulate manner.

Good luck, and I hope that was helpful!

perhaps those who have actually received interview invitations can share their stats if comfortable?

-GPA 3.7 in prerequistes 3.9 from Texas A&M with bachelors of science in biology degree with honors.
-PCAT 84
-2 years + retail pharmacy experience.
- volunteered at a community free pharmacy as a Technician
- volunteered helping foreign exchange students speak english for 3 years at Texas A&M

Letters of Recommendation
1. Physics prof at A&M
2. Biology prof at A&M
3. pharmacist I work with everyday
3 very good letters of recom because i was on a friend basis with all the writers. They let me read them too so I know for sure they were very good
GOT DEFERRED TWICE. :cool: I had a first round interview and the interview I thought went very well maybe not though lol.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
GPA 3.7 and PCAT 84 graduated from Texas A&M with biology degree with honors. 2 years + retail pharmacy experience. 3 very good letters of recom because i was on a friend basis with all the writers. They let me read them too. lots of volunteering/shadowing. worked at the Texas A&M veterinary lab for 1 year dissecting animals for research......GOT DEFERRED TWICE. :cool: It is a very humbling experience though ill tell you that, makes me think well maybe you arent a shoe in like u thought. Which is good i guess...lol. So I am over here just chilling, prolly going to UH anyhow. They see something in me immediately that UT doesnt

Yep, I'm in the exact same position. See you at UH, probably! :)

Yep, I'm in the exact same position. See you at UH, probably! :)
Wow...you two have realy good stats. I don't really see why you would get deferred twice. Maybe they were just waiting to see all the other applicants this year instead of sending out acceptances right away?

still nada anyone else... the possibility that none of us got a last round interview is slim...

nothing here too

yay! just got an invite :)

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats! I am so depressed right now

Thanks for answering my question earlier!

it's ok! :) was that your last chance this year? next year, you'll only be a stronger candidate. I think that UT really pays attention to essays. I didn't get one either, and I have a 3.58 and 74%. I did somewhat rush my essays, and I thought the earlier the better! I did not think my essays were bad, but now, I could have written something else a lot better.

you got an invite :( i guess i got rejected then

my e-mail didn't get in until 3:05 pm and I didn't see it until ten minutes ago so...just because someone got it at 12:30 this afternoon doesn't mean you're rejected yet...some people got their invites at after 5pm last year

Hang in there!

I'm happy for all of you that are getting interviews! If you have any questions about the interview or the school, feel free to ask me or pm me.

Congrats to everyone who received their invites. Looks like I didn't make the cut.

The interview e-mail was time stamped 3:05pm but I have not been able to check my e-mail that much today. I don't know when it showed up in my inbox. By the time I registered for a time slot, all the Saturday times were taken. I really didn't want to take 2 days off for another interview, but I am glad to be going. Congrats to all. Maybe I'll see you there.

Congratulations to all of you who received invites! I wish you guys the best of luck. Congrats once again.

Does anyone know an affordable hotel near campus? I don't want to stay at a motel or anything similar because I want to be nice and comfy the night before the interview. I'm not sure if it's because it's Texas Relay weekend or something but everything seems booked for the weekend. Any suggestions? :love:

Does anyone know an affordable hotel near campus? I don't want to stay at a motel or anything similar because I want to be nice and comfy the night before the interview. I'm not sure if it's because it's Texas Relay weekend or something but everything seems booked for the weekend. Any suggestions? :love:

If you don't want a motel, I know there is a Marriott downtown which is pretty nice. Yea, alot of people are there for the Relays. What time is your interview at?

Ha, are Texas Relays really going on that weekend? You're in for a treat... I live in Austin, but I honestly can't think of a good hotel in the University area...you're probably going to have to get something downtown, but fortunately downtown is very close to campus. If Texas Relays are really that weekend, I'd suggest not getting a hotel off 6th street.

Ha, are Texas Relays really going on that weekend? You're in for a treat... I live in Austin, but I honestly can't think of a good hotel in the University area...you're probably going to have to get something downtown, but fortunately downtown is very close to campus. If Texas Relays are really that weekend, I'd suggest not getting a hotel off 6th street.

Nothing like preparing and easing the mind for an interview than with some live music and a couple cold ones!

Yea your best bet might be to stay somewhere thats a little farther out and drive in. I would suggest trying to get there a little early the night before so that you can plan your route and find a good garage to park at in the morning. I guess if it's a Saturday interview you can park anywhere, but the the Texas Relays going on, that might be difficult.

Yes, the Texas Relays, that's what I'm afraid of. I went to UT as an undergrad and I know the chaos. My interview is Friday afternoon. Almost every single hotel/motel in downtown is booked (Except for the few really upscale ones).

I got my hands on the Holiday Inn Resorts across the river for a fairly good deal. My question now is... should I park somewhere around school and walk? Or use the garages? I mean, I know where all the secret hidden spots are on West and North Campus, but I'm not so big on the idea of walking for 10+ minutes to campus in my suit... OR I can park out there and use the WC bus??

What do you guys think?

Yes, the Texas Relays, that's what I'm afraid of. I went to UT as an undergrad and I know the chaos. My interview is Friday afternoon. Almost every single hotel/motel in downtown is booked (Except for the few really upscale ones).

I got my hands on the Holiday Inn Resorts across the river for a fairly good deal. My question now is... should I park somewhere around school and walk? Or use the garages? I mean, I know where all the secret hidden spots are on West and North Campus, but I'm not so big on the idea of walking for 10+ minutes to campus in my suit... OR I can park out there and use the WC bus??

What do you guys think?

I parked near Cain and able's and walked...in heels. You might not have a choice

oh no...:) that's a long walk.

Yeah it was...good thing I was wearing my comfortable heels. UT gave us some garages or whatever to park in, but I had no earthly idea where those particular garages were, and driving around on the actual campus (with students walking in front of your car left and right) is a bitch, so I didn't bother.

Yeah it was...good thing I was wearing my comfortable heels. UT gave us some garages or whatever to park in, but I had no earthly idea where those particular garages were, and driving around on the actual campus (with students walking in front of your car left and right) is a bitch, so I didn't bother.
just curious, but how come you decline the Tech interview? :)

just curious, but how come you decline the Tech interview? :)

While Texas Tech is an excellent school, I am interested in staying close to Austin (I will be commuting to Austin to see my family and boyfriend as often as possible). I received the interview invitation from Tech, and called the school to request an April interview. In the meantime, I was accepted at UH. Since UH is my second choice and UT is my first, I don't have any desire to go to the 7+ hour interview at Tech (my last choice due to its location and cold weather). So, I canceled the interview so that they can fill my spot with someone who really DOES want to attend Tech.

Last edited:
While Texas Tech is an excellent school, I am interested in staying close to Austin (I will be commuting to Austin to see my family and boyfriend as often as possible). I received the interview invitation from Tech, and called the school to request an April interview. In the meantime, I was accepted at UH. Since UH is my second choice and UT is my first, I don't have any desire to go to the 7+ hour interview at Tech (my last choice due to its location and cold weather). So, I canceled the interview so that they can fill my spot with someone who really DOES want to attend Tech.
That's very considerate of you. I'm slightly torn between UT and Tech. I love Austin and my husband and I have a house here, but Tech also has a great program and it's closer to family members. At this moment though, Tech is the only school who has accepted me so that's where I'm going for now. I do have an interview with UT this coming saturday. :xf:

i have interviewed at Tech and A&M. Both interviews went exceptionally well. I am now scheduled to interview at UT on April 4th. does anyone have any advice? i'd be happy to share my experience at tech and A&M with those who are interested.

i have interviewed at Tech and A&M. Both interviews went exceptionally well. I am now scheduled to interview at UT on April 4th. does anyone have any advice? i'd be happy to share my experience at tech and A&M with those who are interested.

Well, the first place to look is the interview feedback section. This will give you a good general idea of questions.

Be prepared for why pharmacy, who are you, and the ethical/situational questions.

Overall, this interview day is definitely easier than Tech. I can't speak for A&M because I didn't apply there. All you do at UT is have your interview, go on a tour, talk with some of the students; none of the fluff stuff at Tech.

I just wanted to wish everyone interviewing this weekend good luck! :luck: Don't be nervous, just be yourself!!!!

PS. If anyone is coming on Friday, I'll be your tour guide!

Hook 'em! :horns:

:xf:I am hoping and praying that things will go well come saturday...

Yeah, good luck! Sorry I haven't really been around to answer questions lately...exams are killing me right now...:(

Be yourself, ask good questions, and DON'T STRESS TOO MUCH!:)

Yeah, good luck! Sorry I haven't really been around to answer questions lately...exams are killing me right now...:(

Be yourself, ask good questions, and DON'T STRESS TOO MUCH!:)

I hear that! ;) Congrats to everyone who is interviewing...technically I was supposed to be there to help w/tours today but, well, it's a long story--so in any case, I'm not there on campus--but best of luck to all of you. RN2Pharmacy--1000 congratulations on getting the interview this year AND on your acceptance to Tech (I have a few friends going there--excellent program!)

To anyone who didn't get an interview--try your best to finish out your semester on a positive note academically and work on regrouping over the summer. If anyone has any questions about their applications, essays, resumes, or interviewing, feel free to pm me any time. I am more than happy to help and provide feedback.

Again, congratulations and best of luck~:thumbup:

I recieved an acceptance from TAMU-Kingsville, and I have to accept their offer by April 16th. It's funny to me how that just happens to be the day before the next batch of acceptances go out from UT. :thumbdown:

I hear that! ;) RN2Pharmacy--1000 congratulations on getting the interview this year AND on your acceptance to Tech (I have a few friends going there--excellent program!) Again, congratulations and best of luck~:thumbup:

Thanks Happy Hounds! I had a good feeling about the interview yesterday. It was kind of a bummer that the rooms were closed for the tour. I know that my tour group wanted to see more of what the facilities looked like at UT not just the building structure. Anyway, these last two weeks are going to drag on until I hear back from them. :xf:

I recieved an acceptance from TAMU-Kingsville, and I have to accept their offer by April 16th. It's funny to me how that just happens to be the day before the next batch of acceptances go out from UT. :thumbdown:
Hm...that's hard. I don't know what would be the right thing to do in this situation. But even though UT sends out their acceptances a day or two after the adcom meeting on the 16th, I would probably still take the A&M offer. I would feel better knowing that I have a spot somewhere seeing as I don't really know if I'm even getting an offer at UT. I know $500 is a lot of money, but it's really not that much more in the grand scheme of things and it would give me peace of mind that I got in somewhere. That's what I would do anyway. I hope you find out what's right for you. :luck:

I was in the same situation as you. I just had my UT interview this past weekend, and it's my #1 choice. But I already got into to UH and they had to know by March 27th, so I went ahead and accepted their offer just to have a school for next fall. I'm sure we're not the only ones who have been pressed into this predicament

hamburger: You may be able to call Dr. Wilcox on the afternoon of the 16th, explain the situation to him, and ask if he knows anything about your status yet.

Also, if anyone wants a tour, PM me, and I'd be happy to show you around.

Also, if anyone wants a tour, PM me, and I'd be happy to show you around.
You're always so kind. :) But about the tour...I was just speaking for the couple of people in the tour with me who weren't from UT. :D

oh...and I really should be sleeping and not getting on SDN :rolleyes:

Back to waiting! This time on a more hopeful note. :xf:

Hey current students,

I had tried to start a thread about UT vs UH, but hadn't received any responses from UT students. Right now I don't feel like I know very much about what it's actually like to attend UT. Granted, I am still waiting to hear about my status, but I want to be as informed as possible if I have the chance to make a decision between the two schools. PM me, please?

Some questions I would like addressed (if possible):
-Class structure/schedule throughout the 4 years
-Accessibility of professors - in and outside of class
-Why do you think UT has a lower NAPLEX passing rate?
-Potential placements during rotation - how much of a say do the students get in the process? How many have to leave the city they are currently living in?

Thanks everyone!