UT College of Pharmacy 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I too think its very unfair and unprofessional of them to continually push you guys back without much word.

I think that's a pretty unfair statement in itself, when you have no idea how the admissions committee really works. It could be that they want to give people a fair chance to be considered and push them back to compare to other people, instead of rejecting them outright. There are plenty of people in my class that got deferred once, or even twice, and in the end, they're happy that they got deferred and then accepted rather than just rejected.

If the admissions committee didn't give a crap about admitting the right people, they wouldn't do deferrals at all, they would just reject anyone they thought wasn't perfect at first glance. Is that fair? I don't think so.

Applying to pharmacy school and then waiting sucks--trust me, I've been there. And the process is probably not perfect. Nothing is. But I don't think it's fair to call a school unprofessional just because you're not getting the answer you want, when you want.

Members don't see this ad.

Well I have been reading the post for awhile to without being a member...and this does really suck enough for me to finally register.....and make a comment to share...

I also just read my SECOND deferral email....and now have to wait until April 16, and I am starting to think that for the individuals that were deferred twice is that a message that we aren't getting in?

and again how does my application not really not get "reviewed" twice

No, it's not a message that you're not getting in. It's possible that they didn't get to your application the first time, and this time they did but they want to compare you to other people.

I know plenty of people in my class who got deferred and they still got in. I know it sucks to wait. Hang in there!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So I am semi-angry on why I got deferred TWICE. what the heck? How can they accept applicants from the second round of interviews but the first round is deferred a SECOND time? "Oh we did not get a chance to review your application". This is all so aggrivating to me. I am sorry it is not fair, neither is the world but seriously is anything fair? Why dont they just say the truth, your not good enough and we wont to look at the third round of interviews. That would be more settling then a lie. Excuse my anger I am sorry.....Somebody had to say it

Like I told TexasLawn, it's possible that they didn't get to you at the first meeting, and got to you this time but want to compare you to third round people. It doesn't mean they want to reject you.

Think about it: what does the admissions committee have to gain by stringing applicants along? They don't do it for fun. They want to give everyone a fair chance. It doesn't necessarily mean you're going to get rejected.

I think that's a pretty unfair statement in itself, when you have no idea how the admissions committee really works. It could be that they want to give people a fair chance to be considered and push them back to compare to other people, instead of rejecting them outright. There are plenty of people in my class that got deferred once, or even twice, and in the end, they're happy that they got deferred and then accepted rather than just rejected.

If the admissions committee didn't give a crap about admitting the right people, they wouldn't do deferrals at all, they would just reject anyone they thought wasn't perfect at first glance. Is that fair? I don't think so.

Applying to pharmacy school and then waiting sucks--trust me, I've been there. And the process is probably not perfect. Nothing is. But I don't think it's fair to call a school unprofessional just because you're not getting the answer you want, when you want.

I'm just saying its unprofessional that they're saying these first rounders haven't even been reviewed yet. I think that's where people are being frustrated. If the adcom wants to review those first rounders with later round applicants then I think people are ok with that, they would just like to know where they stand. Its frustrating to know that someone from the second round has gotten an acceptance, while you're from the first round and have been told you haven't even been reviewed. I think people just want to know where they stand, thats all.

Sorry if what I said seemed unfair or bitter, I didn't mean for it to be.

I am so surprised that this year had a lot of deferrals with SDN members this late in the game. Last year, my application kept getting in the "look at later" pile while everyone else was getting interviews from UT and/or getting accepted. It's just a very hard school to get into. I'm sorry that you all are getting deferred until April (!) :(

I'm not sure which is worse...getting a deferral email and knowing that you're still being reviewed or not knowing if you are even getting an interview for the last round :(

Well at least those who had interviews got a chance to actually be admitted...i'm in the same boat as you-waiting for the last round of invites is nerve-wracking :(

I share that same boat glory. No email about acceptance or deferral, so I guess that just leaves one other option. Good luck to all who have to wait some more.

Me too! I didn't get either, so I guess I'm rejected...but I thought I would have at least got deferred...I mean, I'm not that bad of a candidate. :(

Me too! I didn't get either, so I guess I'm rejected...but I thought I would have at least got deferred...I mean, I'm not that bad of a candidate. :(

hey don't loose hope the third round of invites go out on the 24th

I was deferred for the second time too. I was really upset at the whole "didn't review your app" thing... so i emailed Dr. Wilcox, and he said that the adcom didn't get the chance to review my app... so either he is upholding the original deferral email, or the email is actually true.

I wish they would be up front and say something along the lines of "we've looked at your app, and we'd like to keep the file open until (date)" cause the way the mass(?) email is worded makes it seem like you haven't even been considered yet.

So still waiting til April... sucks but oh well it's life. Now I just have my interview with A&M....

I have been deferred too. it sucks. but at least there is still a chance. don't lose hope people!

I've been reading this forum for a while so I decided finally to register and post some replies...I turned in my app close to deadline, interviewed 2nd round, and got accepted. IMO, if they feel you're a strong candidate, then they will look at you. You have to either prove it through your application or in your interview

I've been reading this forum for a while so I decided finally to register and post some replies...I turned in my app close to deadline, interviewed 2nd round, and got accepted. IMO, if they feel you're a strong candidate, then they will look at you. You have to either prove it through your application or in your interview

M guessing the rest of us just didn't cut it, I see...

I need to get off SDN and go do something tangible with my spring break!!!

Members don't see this ad :)

Well, congrats on getting in! It seems you are one of the few from 2nd round... do you mind sharing your stats?

honestly, I don't think it was my stats that got me in, but rather my essays, and interview that did

GPA: 3.50+
PCAT: 90+

i wanna know how many people have gotten in so far?!

honestly, I don't think it was my stats that got me in, but rather my essays, and interview that did

GPA: 3.50+
PCAT: 90+

Yeah, I was just wondering because it seems there is a certain level of pcat/gpa for people who have been accepted so far. For the 5-6 people who have been accepted and posted their stats here, all but one had 90+ pcat and everyone had at least a 3.5 gpa.

I think that my essays and interview were very solid, but my stats are a bit below average, so I feel they may be holding me back a bit, for now at least (70s pcat and low 3s gpa).... I still have hope for later when they look at all us deferred people, it's just a long wait. I was actually a bit surprised to even get an interview, but I suspect my essays/resume are to thank for that.

Congratulations, but I was pretty offended by the wording of your post.

I just want to say that every person who received an invitation to interview is a STRONG CANDIDATE and probably very worthy of being at UT. Rather than having killer stats, some of us have incredibly impressive resumes, and ALL of us show a true desire to be pharmacists and work our butts off.

Be very proud of yourself for being an utter shoe-in, but I doubt that many people are in your same position. I just wanted to stand up for the rest of the folks on here feeling kind of low due to a deferral and who are spending their spring breaks venting about it. Your post has the potential to unnecessarily hurtful. Some sensitivity is a very good skill to have.

Again, congratulations. I'm sure a few of us on here will be in your class next year.

Stats aren't everything; last year there were some who got rejected with high stats (99% PCAT + 4.0 GPA). I say pharmacy experience and a great interview are what will get you in.
Good luck!

After rereading what I originally posted, I do have to apologize for my wording. I'm really sorry as I know all of us really care about getting in UT, and all of us are very strong candidates in our own ways. In addition, I can see how many of you believe UT's process is unfair, and you have reasons to feel that way. You just have to think that you did everything you could, and its all in their hands now. Only thing for you to do is to keep hoping and believing in yourself. I'm looking forward to hearing good news from all of you.

Okay so this is weird, I haven't got an interview yet, and I am dying to know so emailed wilcox...He said my application hasn't been reviewed yet, so they must be meeting again before april 3rd rolls a round. I haven't been rejected because he will tell you if you have been rejected. He also apologized for the delay, I wonder whats going on at UT. I guess i will know next week what happens.:luck: good luck to the deffered and to those praying for an interview.

After rereading what I originally posted, I do have to apologize for my wording. I'm really sorry as I know all of us really care about getting in UT, and all of us are very strong candidates in our own ways. In addition, I can see how many of you believe UT's process is unfair, and you have reasons to feel that way. You just have to think that you did everything you could, and its all in their hands now. Only thing for you to do is to keep hoping and believing in yourself. I'm looking forward to hearing good news from all of you.

I appreciate your response. :)

Oh my...a lot has happened. I was away under a rock studying for 2 weeks straight. To be honest, it sounds pretty strange that this many deferrals have gone out the 2nd round to 1st rounders. I don't recall very many people getting deferred twice last year at all--at least not by comparison to people who were only deferred once. Maybe the admissions committee was short on time for this second round and ended up deferring more people. I know they had a meeting this Friday (right before Spring break)--so maybe there were just too many applications to review--I don't know.

Either way, I know it's frustrating, but realize that being deferred is much better than being rejected, so if at all possible, take it as a good sign that they want to review your application a little more in depth in the future. In the meantime, try to enjoy the break and remember, you're still in the running.:thumbup:

while waiting for my interview, i talked to a p1 student who told me they were deferred several times and did not get accepted until may 7th last year.

that situation is giving me hope. it may be a long wait for some of us, but it's not over yet!

Stats aren't everything; last year there were some who got rejected with high stats (99% PCAT + 4.0 GPA). I say pharmacy experience and a great interview are what will get you in.
Good luck!

UT has an interesting process when it comes to admissions. The stats and experience are extremely important, especially in getting an interview. The thing is, once you get the interview, pretty much everyone is on an even playing field again and a LOT of whether or not you're accepted rides on that interview. Your interviewers don't have your resume or stats, just your personal statement, so whether or not you got a 99 on the PCAT is sort of irrelevant in that context--it is a behavioral interview to see who you really are and what you have to bring to the program/why you're a good match, etc. Naturally, if you don't have any experience to talk about in the interview, that can make things awkward--so yes experience is very important. The admissions committee wants to see that you've worked or volunteered enough to really know what you're getting into.

while waiting for my interview, i talked to a p1 student who told me they were deferred several times and did not get accepted until may 7th last year.

that situation is giving me hope. it may be a long wait for some of us, but it's not over yet!

I talked to one of my P1 classmates recently who told me she was #15 or so on the waiting list and got her acceptance in late July! Keep thinking positive!

I'm really curious to get a sense of the fraction who have been accepted versus how many people have been deferred. If you are a reader of this forum and you have not signed up or made a post, please spend 5-10 minutes signing up and just make a post stating, "I've been accepted/deferred"

It would be greatly appreciated.

Hi guys....umm..I just joined SDN, but I got my acceptance email friday. I'm really surprised there's not a lot of acceptance posts. I'm not a very strong candidate (pcat 80, average gpa, little pharm experience), and I met a lot of qualified candidates on my interview day. So...I'm assuming that everyone else that got in are too busy celebrating on spring break to post anything.

Good luck guys! :oops:

does anyone know how they pick applicants after the interview...do they just look at your interview or your whole application b/c I still can't believe i didn't receive either an acceptance or deferral email...im freaking out that i have been rejected...im not taking it well at all :mad:

I know if its been thrown around just a little in this thread, but are there any future p1's looking to do the roommate thing? If so, where are you looking? Just keeping all the options open. :D

does anyone know how they pick applicants after the interview...do they just look at your interview or your whole application b/c I still can't believe i didn't receive either an acceptance or deferral email...im freaking out that i have been rejected...im not taking it well at all :mad:

I'm under the impression that our applications (GPA, PCAT, essays, letters of recs) are only there to get us an interview. Once you pass that stage everyone's equal; it all depends on how you do on the interview.

Last edited:
I'm under the impression that our applications (GPA, PCAT, essays, letters of recs) are only there to get us an interview. Once you pass that stage everyone's equal; it all depends on how you do on the interview.

I applied last year, and on the day I was supposed to hear back, I got neither an acceptance or deferral. I then emailed Wilcox and he told me I was rejected. It was really hard at first and all I thought about was "why did I get a flat out rejection?" I had a 3.9 GPA, 97% PCAT, over a year of pharmacy experience, plenty of extracurriculars, and great letters. I thought maybe something went wrong during the interview, so I scheduled an appt with him to find out.

"Your interview went well, but you need more pharmacy experience" was his reply on how I should improve. He said people who aced the interviews are those who have had plenty of pharmacy experience and their love for the profession really showed when they talked about it.

It's been a year now, and I'm still wondering exactly what went wrong and how they evaluate applicants.

I think in the end, we'll never know. I know some friends who have had amazing GPAs/PCAT/tons of volunteer+pharmacy experience get rejected while others with almost no pharmacy experience get in. There really isn't a right formula on what to do to get in, and what goes on during an adcom meeting will just forever be a mystery. It seems incredibly unfair and I wish I knew the secret behind things to help everybody else as well. However, I do know that the faculty really do try their best at giving everybody a good review of their application. Like others have said, for those who got a deferral emails, keep your hopes up! And for those that have gotten denied, I'm really sorry but hope that you're given great opportunities elsewhere (or have hope for next year).

Looking back at my application, I do think parts of my stats were great, and other parts were REALLY lacking. I made sure to somehow address these weaknesses during my interview and felt that I had a strong interview. I do think the interview is a major factor in the final review of your app, though it's only my opinion.

I've refrained from saying much because I was afraid of accidentally offending someone with all the frustration lately here, but I wanted to give my input as well. I hope nobody feels offended by anything I've said; I really do just want to help everybody else out (and then perhaps meet some of you next fall :nod:)

I think in the end, we'll never know. I know some friends who have had amazing GPAs/PCAT/tons of volunteer+pharmacy experience get rejected while others with almost no pharmacy experience get in. There really isn't a right formula on what to do to get in, and what goes on during an adcom meeting will just forever be a mystery. It seems incredibly unfair and I wish I knew the secret behind things to help everybody else as well. However, I do know that the faculty really do try their best at giving everybody a good review of their application. Like others have said, for those who got a deferral emails, keep your hopes up! And for those that have gotten denied, I'm really sorry but hope that you're given great opportunities elsewhere (or have hope for next year).

Looking back at my application, I do think parts of my stats were great, and other parts were REALLY lacking. I made sure to somehow address these weaknesses during my interview and felt that I had a strong interview. I do think the interview is a major factor in the final review of your app, though it's only my opinion.

I've refrained from saying much because I was afraid of accidentally offending someone with all the frustration lately here, but I wanted to give my input as well. I hope nobody feels offended by anything I've said; I really do just want to help everybody else out (and then perhaps meet some of you next fall :nod:)

Thanks for the sweet post fast-y. By the way your "nickname" really makes me crave like Taco Bell when I am on SDN at 2 am...haha. Anyways, I have come to terms with the madness. I am calm and relaxed now. The problem is that we all have science-oriented brains and we try to "figure things out" logically. That is how we are trained and why we are here. And I have come to relieze that there is no method to the adcom madness and the sooner everyone else here, that has been deferred twice like me, reliezes the better! lol. I think we have to come to terms with the simple, but agnoizing fact that there is no formula, no answer, no method, no anything. It is the way they do it at UT and that is the end of it. So everyone please try and enjoy whats left of your spring breaks! All the positive energy I have been receiving on here is really helping me cope with the feelings of "rejection" so I thought I would throw some in and do my part. Being deferred is going to be ok, we are going to hear something back, not soon, but at least we were honored by getting an interview and being considered. Everyone pat their backs for that! :highfive:

Hey thanks for your help and you too hockeyfannus...i was just irritated b/c they invite me for an interview and then reject me right off w/o even considering to defer me...might as well not have even invited me to get my hopes up all high and then slam the door right behind it
and im not a bad candidate...oh well...i guess i suck at interviewing...i was never really good at convincing :mad:

I'm really curious to get a sense of the fraction who have been accepted versus how many people have been deferred. If you are a reader of this forum and you have not signed up or made a post, please spend 5-10 minutes signing up and just make a post stating, "I've been accepted/deferred"
-OrgoSynthesizer

GOOD IDEA! i know it might put people a little more on edge to post what they heard back from UT, but i know it would definitely help me in dealing with the wait until April 16th, just having an idea of who all SDN posters have been defferred/accepted and how many spots are still available..

appreciate everyone posting, thanks guys

DEFERRED:
1. bunit (deferred twice since 1/31)

ACCEPTED:

OPTION 3: (totally understand if there are no names here)

DEFERRED:

ACCEPTED:
1. Texas PharmDoc

just remember that there are many people that don't participate on SDN

DEFERRED:
2. OrgoSynthesizer (deferred twice since 1/31)

ACCEPTED:
1. Texas PharmDoc

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone else was in my position. I e-mailed Dr. Wilcox in December to have him wait to evaluate my application until after the January PCAT. They received my scores March 5th. I have yet to hear anything else. I know it will take a while, and from reading the threads I am assuming they are not going to make any more interview invites until around the 23rd. Is that right? I was thinking that since I have not heard anything that I am either flat out rejected or they haven't reviewed my application yet. I am hoping for the latter of course! Is anyone else in the same boat? Thanks so much.:)

wow, I am sorry to hear that, hope you have other options, when did you inteview?

I just got my UH acceptance email!!!!!!! I'm soooo, so happy...it was my top choice and it will most likely be where I end up going :)

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone else was in my position. I e-mailed Dr. Wilcox in December to have him wait to evaluate my application until after the January PCAT. They received my scores March 5th. I have yet to hear anything else. I know it will take a while, and from reading the threads I am assuming they are not going to make any more interview invites until around the 23rd. Is that right? I was thinking that since I have not heard anything that I am either flat out rejected or they haven't reviewed my application yet. I am hoping for the latter of course! Is anyone else in the same boat? Thanks so much.:)
I just emailed him and he said that they are evaluating my application at this moment. So I'm assuming that goes for you as well. Just email him and see if your application has been reviewed and he will tell you if it is being reviewed or not. He is pretty good about answering back.

I just emailed him and he said that they are evaluating my application at this moment. So I'm assuming that goes for you as well. Just email him and see if your application has been reviewed and he will tell you if it is being reviewed or not. He is pretty good about answering back.

Thank you so much for the information. He is very nice, I have been in contact with him several times. Thanks again! =)

I just got my UH acceptance email!!!!!!! I'm soooo, so happy...it was my top choice and it will most likely be where I end up going :)

Hi pharmstudent2b! I am sorry that UT made the decision it did, but hey, CONGRATULATIONS on getting into UH!!!! It all paid off in the end doesn't it? :thumbup::thumbup:

I have yet to receive an interview invitation from UT, but like you, I have been accepted to UH today. :)

Hi pharmstudent2b! I am sorry that UT made the decision it did, but hey, CONGRATULATIONS on getting into UH!!!! It all paid off in the end doesn't it? :thumbup::thumbup:

I have yet to receive an interview invitation from UT, but like you, I have been accepted to UH today. :)

Congratulations!!!!!!!! THis is sooo awesome! So are you leaning more towards UT or UH? :)

Congratulations!!!!!!!! THis is sooo awesome! So are you leaning more towards UT or UH? :)

Thank you!!!! Man this is such a great feeling! I had a great experience at UH when I interviewed, and it is my top choice along with UT. Right now I'm waiting to see if I am lucky enough to receive an invite on the 24th...:)

I, too, received my acceptance to the University of Houston yesterday! Its really nice to know that even though UT is taking their sweet time to make their decisions, UH decided I was someone they wanted after less than a week and a half after my interview. Congrats to the rest of you for the UH acceptance as well!

Congratulations to all of you that are making it into UH!!

I do want to throw it out there not to be too discouraged with UT though. It's unfortunate in a way that UT may do their admissions process just a little different than UH or even Tech, but don't completely turn your shoulder on UT. If Houston is where you definitely want to go, then by all means accept them and be happy. I know I'm happy for whoever chooses them as their top choice because they have a great program too, and because that school will get a happy student! Just because UT takes longer or may have deferred you or not looked at you yet, doesn't mean you can't be accepted. Just look at last year's thread or the facebook group. Acceptances trickle in over a period of time. Just don't give up hope, and choose the place based on what is best for you. Congrats again though!!