UT College of Pharmacy 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hockeyfannus

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone who's applying this year? :)

Members don't see this ad.

University of Texas?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, University of Texas at Austin.
I heard they already sent out invitation invites for the first round of interviews.

I am also applying but they are holding off on my application until my Jan PCAT scores are received.

Yep, University of Texas at Austin.
I heard they already sent out invitation invites for the first round of interviews.

When I applied last year, first round did not go out until Jan 20ish. I don't even think the adcom starts meeting until January.

Hmmm that's odd...'cause my friend told me she got her invitation already. I'll ask her again to make sure.
But still, I think the first round will go to those who submitted their apps before winter break.

According to an email I received from Dr. Wilcox, interview invites (both snail mail and email) should not be sent out until Jan. 23.

According to an email I received from Dr. Wilcox, interview invites (both snail mail and email) should not be sent out until Jan. 23.

Are all interview invites sent out by email and snail mail?

Do you know when the actual first interview date is?

Are all interview invites sent out by email and snail mail?

Do you know when the actual first interview date is?

First set of interviews is Jan. 30 & 31. Invites should be sent via snail mail and email. This is according to an email I received. I doubt that any changes will be made, but that is always possible, so please do not be pissed if I get something wrong.

Good luck everyone that is applying! If anyone has any questions, please do not hesitate to PM me.

Anybody heard anything about any UT invites? I know Jan. 23 was floating around, but is that false hope?

Or have they overlooked me? :scared: :D

Anybody heard anything about any UT invites? I know Jan. 23 was floating around, but is that false hope?

Or have they overlooked me? :scared: :D

Hi,

I heard they will send out the invitations by email sometimes this afternoon! Good Luck Every One!

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied close to the end of December and I've yet to hear back! :xf:

Woohooo! I got an invite as well! =)

I got one too! UH and UT back to back next week is going to be crazy!!!

Last edited:
Hey y'all! Congrats on the interviews. Does everyone get interviews at UT if they completed an application??

Thanks!

So I have a question for those smarter than myself with regards to adcoms deciding applicants. I got an interview invite for UT today and I am ecstatic about it! However, UT is in the top 5 or so schools across the US and I get an interview there while I have heard nothing from Houston or Tech. It just seems odd that UT, a school with higher entrance stats, would want to see me and the other two, both with lower requirements and have sent out the first round of invites, haven't shown an interest. So, what gives? Feel free to offer your thoughts.

Edit: Looks like as long as you have the pre-reqs you get an interview spot according to their stats page. I guess that's the reason then, there you go.

They might have really like ur application ^^ since I believed only 50 applicants get picked for each interview cycle :) Stats aren't everything :) ^^ CongRATS though!!!

250 applicants are interviewed for 125 spots. 250 is significantly less than the application pool, which was over 600 last year.

Oh wow, that's awesome then. I couldn't tell from the admissions stats page it said like 600 applicants, 500 reviewed and didn't have a interviewed section. I mistakenly inferred that to mean all 500 were interviewed. Thanks a bunch for clearing that up Mike36, your post was very helpful as always. My stoked meter is now back at %110.

Does UT have writing section in this coming interview?

Does UT have writing section in this coming interview?

As far as I know, UT does not have a writing section during the interview. The year I interviewed was the first year they did away with it. That was in 2007. I think it is safe to assume that it is still not a part of the interview day.

As far as I know, UT does not have a writing section during the interview. The year I interviewed was the first year they did away with it. That was in 2007. I think it is safe to assume that it is still not a part of the interview day.

Hey Mike, do you know how long it takes after the interview to find out if you're accepted or not? Also I don't know if you can/allow to answer this, but for the interview invitees is it base on whoever apply first get interview first, or is it merit based?

Thanks alot :)

Hey Mike, do you know how long it takes after the interview to find out if you're accepted or not? Also I don't know if you can/allow to answer this, but for the interview invitees is it base on whoever apply first get interview first, or is it merit based?

Thanks alot :)

I do not know how the order of interview invites is determined. As far as how long it takes to find out if you are accepted after your interview, it varies. The admissions committee has a schedule that they are supposed to follow, but sometimes they get behind. You could find out as soon as 2 weeks after your interview. The latest acceptances go out in May (assuming everything goes according to schedule). Of course, if you are put on the alternate list, you could get a very late acceptance if someone declines closer to the beginning of the fall semester.

On a side note regarding sending out acceptances...if you interview in the first round and get deferred, have no fear. It does NOT necessarily mean they thought you weren't good enough to be accepted first round--more likely it means they could only go through half the interviewees' applications after interviews and just didn't get to yours. Good news is being in the first round means your application (if deferred) will most likely get looked at first when they start 2nd round interviews.

Good luck to everyone!

On a side note regarding sending out acceptances...if you interview in the first round and get deferred, have no fear. It does NOT necessarily mean they thought you weren't good enough to be accepted first round--more likely it means they could only go through half the interviewees' applications after interviews and just didn't get to yours. Good news is being in the first round means your application (if deferred) will most likely get looked at first when they start 2nd round interviews.

Good luck to everyone!

oh, so does it mean that if you're accepted you should get a reply before the 2nd set of interview?

Does anyone know how many out-of-state students receive an interview invite?

Last edited:
for those who've received interview invitations, was your application complete? as in, all of your recs were complete?

for those who've received interview invitations, was your application complete? as in, all of your recs were complete?

Yeah, I believe all of it need to be completed before they can invite you to an interview.

does anyone know when they will send out invites for the next round?

Is GPA weighed heavily in the admission process? Mine is not that high so I was wondering if I have a chance for an interview.

oh, so does it mean that if you're accepted you should get a reply before the 2nd set of interview?

Yes in past year. This year they are expecting around the late part of February, which might come after the next interview invite list being sent out...This might be b/c they did the first round of interviews before the actual due date for the application. Now they're going to get a lot of applications at the last minute, so they might be anticipating a little longer turn around time for the first round of interviewees.

Is GPA weighed heavily in the admission process? Mine is not that high so I was wondering if I have a chance for an interview.

Hockey, my GPA is relatively low and I got an interview. I think that if your other stats are good they will at least look at you. For example I have pharmacy experience, a good pcat score, have a Bachelors etc... Just have the other things in line aside from GPA and that's really all you can do. That's my two cents anyhow. Good luck on nabbing that interview!

Just to interject a little humor during this stressful time of applying to pharmacy school, I thought I would share this with those that hadn't seen it yet. I'm posting it in all the TX related threads.

I haven't stopped laughing since I first saw this. Poor Aggies :horns:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmEAo-nzBgY

and how did everyone that was at UT this weekend feel they did?

i dont think i did too well. I've had other interviews where i've been able to have pretty good conversations with my interviewers, but this time it was more straight up them asking questions and me responding without any real good back and forth happening. to me it seemed like they didnt have any interest in what i was saying.

I think it went well. My interviewers were very relaxed and didn't just read questions off the paper as much, it was a nice 30 min conversation. I had a UH interview this past week also, so I really got to see the differences. I think between both schools it depends on what you prefer because they both were amazing!
What do you guys think?

I think it went well. My interviewers were very relaxed and didn't just read questions off the paper as much, it was a nice 30 min conversation. I had a UH interview this past week also, so I really got to see the differences. I think between both schools it depends on what you prefer because they both were amazing!
What do you guys think?

I was at the UH interview on friday as well, and you're right, there are many positive things about both schools. The TMC for Houston is unbeatable, but UT has an awesome program. I like the fact that they are both established programs with lots of alumni and connections while in school and after graduating.

What did you think about each, the differences and what you liked about each? Kind of jumping the gun, but assuming you get acceptances in hand for both schools, where are you leaning?

I was at the UH interview on friday as well, and you're right, there are many positive things about both schools. The TMC for Houston is unbeatable, but UT has an awesome program. I like the fact that they are both established programs with lots of alumni and connections while in school and after graduating.

What did you think about each, the differences and what you liked about each? Kind of jumping the gun, but assuming you get acceptances in hand for both schools, where are you leaning?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I got the feeling that at UT the first year is very challenging and you will be taking a lot of classes your first and second semester. But they assured us that it gets easier your second year. At UH I was talking to some of the P1s and they told me that classes start in the afternoon and there first semester wasn't bad but the 2nd year picks up a little.
It the opportunity presents itself that I have a choice between both schools I really don't know which one to pick. It might come down to cost of living, proximity to my family... IDK lol. I'm just glad they went well, I would be happy at either one.
How about you?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I got the feeling that at UT the first year is very challenging and you will be taking a lot of classes your first and second semester. But they assured us that it gets easier your second year. At UH I was talking to some of the P1s and they told me that classes start in the afternoon and there first semester wasn't bad but the 2nd year picks up a little.
It the opportunity presents itself that I have a choice between both schools I really don't know which one to pick. It might come down to cost of living, proximity to my family... IDK lol. I'm just glad they went well, I would be happy at either one.
How about you?

I think what one of the students was telling me was that the 1st semester is the most challenging, and that it gets better even starting the 2nd semester. I know you are taking lots of classes both semesters, and one of them told me they average at least a test a week, so you do have to keep up with the material as you go and not fall behind. They were talking about how the curriculum is changing just a little, but I'm sure its challenging no matter what. Maybe a P1 can give their thoughts and expertise here.

You're right at UH that the classes start out "easier." Class starting at 1 pm instead of morning sounds very nice. A couple of the students there were telling me they haven;t even bought most of the books for the classes because they get alot of stuff from the P2s; I don't know if that would work for everyone though. It seems pretty laid back at both schools, and I'm fully prepared to have to study hard at either place, so it will be difficult for me to pick too if given the opportunity.

Being in San Antonio, picking Austin would be easier for traveling back home if needed. We need some more students at UT to give us their input on the curriculum and their experiences there at UT.

The nervous waiting has officially begun for me though. I just looked at my phone and had a missed call from a number with an Austin area code and thought for a second it was the admission committee calling me to accept me because their college just couldn't live without me. :D It was a wrong number.....

The way the curriculum is set up NOW, the P1 year is the most difficult in terms of the number of classes and exams. In the Fall of P1, we had 1 exam every week, except for a couple of weeks where we had more. The last week before finals, we had 5 exams. The spring of P2 was much more difficult. The classes are harder, and we averaged 2 exams on most weeks.

However, the curriculum is changing for the next class, i.e. you guys. To me, it looks much more challenging. The first year looks easier than it is currently, mainly because kinetics is being moved. But the course load in each subsequent semester looks like it will be much more challenging.

The way the curriculum is set up NOW, the P1 year is the most difficult in terms of the number of classes and exams. In the Fall of P1, we had 1 exam every week, except for a couple of weeks where we had more. The last week before finals, we had 5 exams. The spring of P2 was much more difficult. The classes are harder, and we averaged 2 exams on most weeks.

However, the curriculum is changing for the next class, i.e. you guys. To me, it looks much more challenging. The first year looks easier than it is currently, mainly because kinetics is being moved. But the course load in each subsequent semester looks like it will be much more challenging.

ouch. But it must be do-able since everyone else gets through it all.

So I am playing the waiting game because my transcript wasn't sent and I ended up having to overnight it them. I emailed Dr.Wilcox and asked him about interviews he said invites for round two will go out on the feb 17th and they will interview people on the 27-28. My question is my application didn't say it was complete until today, will they even get to my application in time for feb 17 invites or are they still looking at people that applied early...any thoughts would be appreciated.:(