UT College of Pharmacy 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey current students,

I had tried to start a thread about UT vs UH, but hadn't received any responses from UT students. Right now I don't feel like I know very much about what it's actually like to attend UT. Granted, I am still waiting to hear about my status, but I want to be as informed as possible if I have the chance to make a decision between the two schools. PM me, please?

Some questions I would like addressed (if possible):
-Class structure/schedule throughout the 4 years
-Accessibility of professors - in and outside of class
-Why do you think UT has a lower NAPLEX passing rate?
-Potential placements during rotation - how much of a say do the students get in the process? How many have to leave the city they are currently living in?

Thanks everyone!

1) This one is kind of hard to answer, because the curriculum is changing next year. For us, the first year is pretty heavy as far as the time you spend (or are supposed to spend;)) in class. I'm not going to lie, I've found it to be kind of a drag, just because I don't think the material is really that interesting. The next two years are very heavy on the pharmacotherapeutics, which is the application of all the material you learned--much more interesting in my opinion. The way it's set up right now, the first year is crazy busy/hard and it kind of gets a little lighter (course-work wise) the next two years. The new curriculum seems to me like it's going to be easier starting out, and then it will get harder. Hard to say right now, though, since nothing's set in stone.

2) Never had a problem here--they all hold office hours and you can set up appointments with any of them.

3) I don't know about this one. I can say this, though: All year, this year's P1 class exam averages have hovered around a high B to low A, which I think is pretty good. I really can't imagine my class having a low NAPLEX pass rate. I don't know...maybe UT has raised its standards academically the past couple years, and we will see an improvement? Not sure.

4) I know that you get to submit your preference of cities in a rank order, but you aren't guaranteed that you will get your first choice. I have *heard* (meaning I'm not sure!) that most people tend to get their first choice, but that's about all the say you have in it. Maybe a P2/P3 might know more about this....

Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey current students,

I had tried to start a thread about UT vs UH, but hadn't received any responses from UT students. Right now I don't feel like I know very much about what it's actually like to attend UT. Granted, I am still waiting to hear about my status, but I want to be as informed as possible if I have the chance to make a decision between the two schools. PM me, please?

-Potential placements during rotation - how much of a say do the students get in the process? How many have to leave the city they are currently living in?

Thanks everyone!

1.) As was already mentioned, the curriculum is changing this Fall. You can go here http://www.utexas.edu/pharmacy/courses/syllabireq.html for the current curriculum. The P1 year for this Fall will be easier, but subsequent years look like they will be much more difficult than they are currently, at least in terms of number of credit hours.

2.) I have never had an issue here. While most of our professors are very busy with other duties besides teaching, they make students a priority in their schedules. Most keep an open door policy instead of holding office hours. It's also usually pretty easy to set up an appointment via email also.

3.) Didn't know this, I have no idea. I am not worried though. I have never failed a test before, and don't plan to fail the NAPLEX.

4.) 85-90% of students get their first choice. In your P2 year, you will rank the regions according to preference. Placements are made via a lottery type of system, but your preferences are taken into account. This will be explained to you during the P2 year. We found out our placements before spring break this semester. (PharmD/PhD students do not participate in the lottery, we automatically are placed in the ATW region (Austin/Temple/Waco)). I know someone this semester though that got his 4th choice. Sucks for him, but like I said that is REALLY rare. Most get 1st or 2nd choice.

Hey current students,

Thanks everyone!

I'm not a current UT pharmacy student, but I looked up the 2007-2008 NAPLEX passing rates and both UH and UT had the same stats (~99%). Here's list of all the schools and their performance: http://www.nabp.net/ftpfiles/bulletins/schoolpassrates.pdf

Members don't see this ad :)
haha...nice texas pharmdoc. i agree can't have more posts than texas tech. didn't like seeing this thread on page two or three. but i'm thinking the thread will pick up this weekend or early next week?

hey guys i'm new to the thread and am applying to ut next year (current 2nd yr at ut now)

i was wondering if you guys wouldn't mind giving your stats? including who you got your LORs from and extra currics.

if i were to submit my application in the fall, would the admissions committee see my gpa with the fall semester??

thanks guys
and congrats on getting into ut! :)

...but i'm thinking the thread will pick up this weekend or early next week?

Yes, Dr. Wilcox said notices should go out Monday the 20th. Adcom is meeting tomorrow, the 16th. Friday they will get everything in order and send out e-mails Monday.

Yes, Dr. Wilcox said notices should go out Monday the 20th. Adcom is meeting tomorrow, the 16th. Friday they will get everything in order and send out e-mails Monday.

so its no longer friday? I was already looking forward to stalking my inbox on friday

Last edited:
if i were to submit my application in the fall, would the admissions committee see my gpa with the fall semester??

At the last round of interviews, Dr. Wilcox said the due date for the application would be moved up to December next year. So everyone's application will be due before fall grades are finalized.

If this happens, fall grades probably won't count toward your GPA, but your acceptance would be contingent on you passing the rest of your prereqs.

i was hoping the decisions would be out on friday. from some earlier posts, i know some people got e-mails on friday regarding their status after the adcom meeting. i guess i can wait three more days...

Members don't see this ad :)
So for all the current students, roughly around what time of the year did you start receiving your financial aid information? My FAFSA has been complete for some time, and I have received a couple of e-mails from UT saying they are processing it, but it has still been a while.

hey everyone,
i haven't posted on sdn before but i had a question i wanted an opinion on!
I was wondering if anyone has emailed dr wilcox regarding whether they have been accepted or not. its a long story but my mom is coming into town this weekend (she lives in california...so she cant come out that often) and she wanted to help me buy a condo this weekend if i found out. since it sounds like we wont hear until monday i was wondering if dr wilcox wouldnt be annoyed or if he would reply if i emailed him and asked.
Thanks everyone! and good luck to everyone else that is waiting too!!!!

Hrm... i wonder where rcor heard that it was going to go on Monday. I am still thinking that we should find out tomorrow because that is what i initially heard from sources that have been right on all of the dates so far.

i'm not sure, but i've heard some other people saying that it wont go out until monday also

It wouldn't surprise me if we won't hear until Monday just because getting behind seems to be the trend with Texas pharmacy schools this year, except maybe A&M. I wish it would be tomorrow though. Waiting is really getting old. Plus, it would be awesome if I find out if I get in since my in-laws are coming to town this weekend too. During my interview, Dr. Wilcox said they will let us know in a day or two after the adcom meeting so...I'm still crossing my fingers for tomorrow. :xf::xf::xf:

Hey guys, I have emailed dr wilcox on Monday and he said that the email will go on Friday but I have sent him again on Wednesday, and he replied on thursday saying that he cannot guarantee whether the email will go on Friday or Monday..
So I guess we should hope to get tomorrow...:):)

hey manda - from what i remember from interviews, dr. wilcox said he would be in a meeting for most of tomorrow. but he also said if anyone needs to know, call him tomorrow and he will get back to you and let you know your status. he totally doesn't mind doing that, he's super nice and wouldn't be annoyed at all. good luck! :)

For those accepted to UH while waiting on UT reply, has anyone started to look for apartments in Houston?

for those of us who got deferred, should we expect an email tomorrow or i guess monday, or are we gonna hear by us mail later on?!

Hrm... i wonder where rcor heard that it was going to go on Monday. I am still thinking that we should find out tomorrow because that is what i initially heard from sources that have been right on all of the dates so far.

Dr. Wilcox made the announcement as he sat on the table, directly in front of me, just before we watched the slide show. He stated that the most likely date, the earliest we might hear back, would be Monday April 20th. Hopefully he does not have too many other pressing issues and it is feasible to send out e-mails on Friday. That would certainly make my weekend better! :)

hey rcoriakin was that during your interview? like someone said earlier, it was day after the adcom meeting. i'm sure if it goes out tomorrow, ppl will post if they find out tomorrow. good luck to everyone who is waiting!

anyone heard yet?

hah its kind of weird how quiet it is in here for a possible acceptance date. Usually on predicted days we fill up a couple of pages haha.

But nope. I haven't heard anything yet

i guess we'll have to wait until monday...

i'm in! postmarked at 5:13 PM. yay!

congrats jlc! i am deferred again for the second time til April 30th.

If nothing in my email, then do I have to consider as rejected?:(

I also received an email stating "the Admissions Committee was unable to discuss your application at the third meeting". Is that what all deferred people received?

I also received an email stating "the Admissions Committee was unable to discuss your application at the third meeting". Is that what all deferred people received?
yeah, isnt that awesome?!! haha

I interviewed on february 28th. This is my second deferal. I have a 3.8 prerequisite and 3.8 cumulative GPA and 90% composite on the Pcat. I have lots and lots of extracurriculars. My essays were perfect cuz i had like 3 people review them over and over again. Trust me when i tell u that my application was excellent.I am freaking out right now. However, I am hoping with great optimism because Dr. Wilcox sent me an e-mail saying i had been defered. I have read of people who got defered 3 times. My friend at UT austin can testify. He got accepted Late May. Also, My friend was not on the waiting list, they just took up a lot of time to decide. This made me happy because I was pleased to also learn that i have not been rejected. We just need to be patient. I want all of you to hang on and dont be scared. UT is my first choice even though i got accepted to 5 schools ( University of houston, Texas A&M, Wingate, Palm Beach Atlantic, University of Georgia). UT is my priority. Pray for your fellow foreign brother. You guys could make the difference for me. I wish everyone Good Luck. Thanks a lot:):):):):)

Last edited:
i don't think i'm underqualified. my undergrad gpa and pre-req could be better, i am finishing my masters in biotech, i will have been a certified tech for 8 years this july. i also have tons of volunteer and extracurriculars....just don't know what it in my application keeps getting me deferred. ut is my top priority as well. congrats to those who got acceptance letters today. and for txbevo: i interviewed on february and this is my second deferral.

I got deferred for the third time too. we better get in after waiting for sooooo long!
Just make sure u dont piss in your pants before the final decision comes. U could learn to play world of warcraft in your basement for the time being :laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh:

If nothing in my email, then do I have to consider as rejected?:(
Dr. Wilcox said you should send him an email. If i was you, I would do that. I sent him an email this morning and i got a reply the same day at 4pm. He told me that i have not been rejected. He said, I have been defered. He also says if you wana know whether you've been rejected, you should send him an email. May God be with You:)

Just make sure u dont piss in your pants before the final decision comes. U could learn to play world of warcraft in your basement for the time being :laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh:
I'm not sure if you're trying to offend me or trying to be funny because neither one worked! maybe because you're not from here, I don't understand your humor...

p.s. congrats to all those who got in!

I am quite pleased to be wrong! I now have the weekend to celebrate! Much better than getting the news on Monday. See you all in Austin!

I'm not sure if you're trying to offend me or trying to be funny because neither one worked! maybe because you're not from here, I don't understand your humor...

p.s. congrats to all those who got in!

I am definitely not tryna offend u. If u read my post, I wished everyone Good Luck. I am Laughing at myself and others who are still waiting. It relieves the tension I am feeling.

Has anyone who interviewed in April got an acceptance? I got deferred too :(

congrats to everyone who got in! well, looks like a reject for me...

but at least i got into my #2 (tech). i liked tech as much just didnt want to go to abilene, i like it here in austin :(