UT- Austin COP Fall 2010 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Who knows how the system works? Have they sent out enough acceptances to meet their quota and are just waiting for denies to send out more, or are they still looking at applications?

Members don't see this ad.

I know most of everything is hear-say on this thread, but I'm going to add another that some of my friends who attend this program have mentioned that all acceptances have been given out, and that there is no more to be given at the end of the month (some work closely with Dr. Wilcox).

But take what I say with a truck-load of salt because like I said, there has already been a lot of incorrect information on this thread.

Good luck.

I just received a confirmation email from Ms Ann Spencer~~ and the application status page changed as well~ Do you guys know how to check which prerequisites still need to be taken before enrolling in the program? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just received a confirmation email from Ms Ann Spencer~~ and the application status page changed as well~ Do you guys know how to check which prerequisites still need to be taken before enrolling in the program? Thank you!

They will probably send a list of classes you are missing in the packet they give you in early april but I would just talk to Dr. Wilcox if you have any questions about your prereqs.

I know most of everything is hear-say on this thread, but I'm going to add another that some of my friends who attend this program have mentioned that all acceptances have been given out, and that there is no more to be given at the end of the month (some work closely with Dr. Wilcox).

But take what I say with a truck-load of salt because like I said, there has already been a lot of incorrect information on this thread.

Good luck.

I was told that only a portion of the acceptance e-mails have been sent out. They are working as quickly as they can to notify everyone of their decisions. The adcom will meet once again at the end of this month, and everyone will be notified of either acceptance/denial either by e-mail or snail mail by the end of march or the first week of april.

So bottom line, for those people who haven't heard anything yet, they are still working on sending acceptance and you still have a chance! Don't lose hope! :)

Last edited:
I was told that only a portion of the acceptance e-mails have been sent out. They are working as quickly as they can to notify everyone of their decisions. The adcom will meet once again at the end of this month, and everyone will be notified of either acceptance/denial either by e-mail or snail mail by the end of march or the first week of april.

So bottom line, for those people who haven't heard anything yet, they are still working on sending acceptance and you still have a chance! Don't lose hope! :)

Do you know if the portion sent out so far is the most qualified portion?

Also does that mean that there won't be any more acceptances going out this week? So if I didn't get one yet, I shouldn't expect one for a couple of weeks?

Also, how would the person who told you know?

God I'm nervous as hell. I really want to get in and I want to know already so I can go celebrate at SXSW.

Last edited:
I can answer that post for you:

The individuals whom received the first round of invites were the highest ranked applicants.

UT is one of the few schools (with a handful of others) that waits until ALL interviews have been conducted prior to sending out acceptances. This is to allow everyone a fair shot at a spot.

They then will assign a certain amount of points to each portion of an application (e.g. u% for GPA, v% for PCAT, w% for experiences, x% for interview, y% for personal statement, z% for LOR). Each applicant is then ranked against their peers and the highest are given the first acceptances. Those that receive an acceptance are asked to send an email response by the first Monday following Spring Break (so this falls on the 22nd of March this year) as to whether they accept/decline the acceptance. The higher the number of declines means the higher the number of invites supposedly given out during the second round of acceptances at the end of March.

This years system has changed somewhat from previous years.

Sources: Friends from back in my grad. school days that participate in this event. Again, please take what I say with grains of salt because I'm going based on memory of what they described to me over a year ago over Happy Hour drinks.

Last edited:
MrMeowphers:
Then why did u say in your earlier post that your friends who "work closely with Dr. Wilcox" said there will be no more acceptances?!so which is it?! That's quite a change of story!!

MrMeowphers:
Then why did u say in your earlier post that your friends who "work closely with Dr. Wilcox" said there will be no more acceptances?!so which is it?! That's quite a change of story!!

He's doing it just to ruin your spring break!!!!

I have another question. Did anyone get their acceptance email today? I'm wondering if I should be checking my email every day this week or just wait until next week to check.

Last edited:
Firstly, I did mention to take what I have said with a truck load of salt.

My original post is what they claim to be the truth.

My second post was just explaining what the NORMAL interview/acceptance outline has been for the previous years. However, my friend(s) mentioned that this year is an abnormal year due to the sheer amount of qualified applicants. Sorry I didn't make it clearer.

Again, they could be wrong.

Good luck and keep hope alive.

They will probably send a list of classes you are missing in the packet they give you in early april but I would just talk to Dr. Wilcox if you have any questions about your prereqs.
Just figured out that at the view your application status page, there is an "audit degree" link, and we can check the credits that are transferred to UT Austin. But I have a lot of foreign credits and need to wait longer.

Does anyone know if a "W" in the transcript would negatively affect later study/career in UT Austin College of Pharmacy? I have been taking a few courses that are only other Pharmacy Colleges' prerequisite, and now really considering dropping one of them to get more time (although I have been doing well in it) Can anyone give some comments? Thanks a lot!

Congratulations to all the students who have got accepted! and Good luck to all that are still waiting! I have experienced the suspense throughout last week and know how it feels. I sincerely hope everyone can finally get a satisfactory result!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry I am late to this thread, but I just registered on this forum today.

I love UT as well, I'm very disappointed I didn't get an email. :( I guess I'll just wait until the end of the month to see if they will accept me. For those who are accepted would you mind sharing your stats? Thank you so much.
BS in Bio w/ minors in chem & philosophy (LSU 2006), Cumulative GPA 3.56, Math/Sci GPA ~3.5, PCAT Jan 09: 86 Composite 3/3 Writing, PCAT 2 Aug 09: 97 Composite & 3/3 Writing, LOR from 2 pharmacists, 4.5 years experience as a CPhT, volunteer work (Boy's Hope Girl's Hope, JDRF, hurricane relief), lots of extracurriculars, and I felt my interview went really well.

Congrats to those who got accepted - just curious - were your interviews on Jan 29-30?
Mine was the last date - Feb 27th, and I received my acceptance email on 3-12. Glad I can cancel my UIC interview now since they only gave me 2 weeks notice to buy a plane ticket :scared:

Do you guys know how to check which prerequisites still need to be taken before enrolling in the program? Thank you!
This is the response I got from Ann Spencer when asked about a deposit: "I will send you another e-mail when your acceptance packet is mailed in early April. Your acceptance letter will also list any prerequisite courses you may be missing. The College of Pharmacy does not have an enrollment deposit. However, UT Austin does and you will need to pay the $200 in order to hold your place with UT. The University will contact you with instructions on how to pay." You should have a pretty good idea of what your missing by just looking at the prereq list on the COP's admissions checklist though.

Good luck to those still waiting, and congrats to all who have been accepted so far! Looking forward to meeting you in the Fall. Like I said, I'm new here so feel free to add me as a contact/friend especially if you'll be starting in the Fall as well.

Last edited:
I got my acceptance email to UT on the 12th around 5pm! A full packet with more info will be sent in April. I also got into UH so I will be giving up that spot. Best of luck to everyone! I can't wait to meet all of my fellow classmates in the fall!

I think they were asking about becoming a Texas resident for tax and tuition purposes.

I think it is fairly easy to gain residency for tuition purposes. The best person to answer this would be Greg Caldera. Dean Wilcox would be a good person to ask as well.

I'm also wondering about this. Is it true you can establish residency after your first year of school in TX? Thanks for the contacts. I will definitely email Dean Wilcox and Greg Caldera to see if they can help out with this. I just noticed I was looking at the wrong tuition on http://www.utexas.edu/business/accounting/sar/t_f_rates.html I was looking under "Pharmacy" and thinking, "10k per semester for pharmacy school is super cheap for out of state!" - not realzing there was a page 2 with "PharmD." 17k a semester for us out of staters :eek: That 6.6k for residents is looking really good right now. I have a friend that just started grad school at TX State, and he was able to get an out of state waiver for being a TA. I'm guessing it's unlikely you can get a similar deal while in pharmacy school?

I have a couple of quick questions that's in conjunction with the last post.

1. How much does your tuition cost with dorming and textbooks?
2. How much does financial aid give ya'll? 30k in loans or scholarships and grants for those who have EFC of 0?

I live closer to the Houston area so it'd be wiser if I attend UH for financial reasons, but in case things don't happen with UH (*knock on wood*) and UT accepts me, I would like to have an idea of how much I will have to shell out. :D Thank you very much.

For those who want to know about becoming a Texas resident, feel free to ask
me. I spent my freshman year at UT as out-of-state and became a resident. It's not too complicated a process; too much for me to type out on my phone right now. If you have specific questions about it, message me and I can try my best to answer it! =)

Has anyone gotten an acceptance notice between the 15th and today?

I really don't think we will hear anything until the very end of march like they originally said. A bunch of stuff is floating around on this forum (including by me probably) but I am just going to go back to what they originally told us at the interview. Some people find out right before spring break, and some right after. And its not juust the spots that are from people who declined their acceptance. I feel like they probably wouldn't change that right in the middle of the process (I'm keeping optimistic?) But yeah, I'm still checking my email a hundred times a day anyway.

I really don't think we will hear anything until the very end of march like they originally said. A bunch of stuff is floating around on this forum (including by me probably) but I am just going to go back to what they originally told us at the interview. Some people find out right before spring break, and some right after. And its not juust the spots that are from people who declined their acceptance. I feel like they probably wouldn't change that right in the middle of the process (I'm keeping optimistic?) But yeah, I'm still checking my email a hundred times a day anyway.

ITS HARD TO ENJOY SXSW with this on my mind :[

Has anyone gotten an acceptance notice between the 15th and today?
I would imagine they are not at the admin office during spring break. So, we won't hear anything for another couple days. But yes, the wait is nerve-racking! I'm a usually patient guy, but... well, I guess I should have expected this, since my stats will be at the lower end on the rankings. But, yes, optimism is the name of the game.

Actually ShadowRx, Dr. Wilcox replied to one of my e-mails on Monday so I believe they are in their offices. For many schools, students are off on Spring break, not administrators and maybe professors. I am not sure for UT, but I can confirm to you that he replied to my e-mail. : ) I am anxiously and nervously waiting on this end, but I would rather have time take a little while to make a decision than make a hasty decision about my file (You never know, it could go both ways).

Actually ShadowRx, Dr. Wilcox replied to one of my e-mails on Monday so I believe they are in their offices. For many schools, students are off on Spring break, not administrators and maybe professors. I am not sure for UT, but I can confirm to you that he replied to my e-mail. : ) I am anxiously and nervously waiting on this end, but I would rather have time take a little while to make a decision than make a hasty decision about my file (You never know, it could go both ways).
You know, you're right! I forgot! He did reply back to my thank-you email on Monday.

So Dr. Wilcox said that their second long meeting is going to be on March 25th. So I am expecting to get an email on Fri the 26th if in fact I get in. I say Friday bcoz that seems to be the norm for UT. There is still hope you guys. Go enjoy the rest of your spring break.

So Dr. Wilcox said that their second long meeting is going to be on March 25th. So I am expecting to get an email on Fri the 26th if in fact I get in. I say Friday bcoz that seems to be the norm for UT. There is still hope you guys. Go enjoy the rest of your spring break.

All right thanks a lot. Now I know not to check my email every 20 minutes from when I wake up until like 6pm or something.

if you were accepted, did your status change?

Yes, it was mentioned by a couple people above, but mine changed to: "Congratulations! We are pleased to inform you that you have been admitted to the College Of Pharmacy ( Pharmacy, Professional, Pharm. D. ) at The University of Texas at Austin. Learn more about what you need to do next to begin your Longhorn experience."

yea...thanks.

I was just wondering because my status hasn't changed. I was just wondering if anyone else was experiencing the same thing.

When is the deadline for all UT-austin applicants? Has anyone been accepted to Marylands or Pittsburgh pharmacy program? Have the interview process started?

:confused:

The deadline for this year's applicants was Friday, January 15th. I didn't apply to Maryland or Pittsburgh. The interviews started from January 29th and lasted until February 27th. Interviews were conducted Fridays and Saturdays. Hope this helps. :)

where are you all checking your status at? I was curious to see if mine changed also. As for those who haven't yet received an acceptance, keep your head up and stay positive, according to last years stats 28 people declined their admission, that's a pretty substantial number! I think we should start a facebook group or something so we could get to know each other! Class of 2014! Hook Em \m/

Last edited:
where are you all checking your status at? I was curious to see if mine changed also. As for those who haven't yet received an acceptance, keep your head up and stay positive, according to last years stats 28 people declined their admission, that's a pretty substantial number! I think we should start a facebook group or something so we could get to know each other! Class of 2014! Hook Em \m/

It won't matter! 2012 is coming up, and we all know what happens in 2012...

The application status is on the UT website.
Well...if you go to UT direct, sign in with your UT eid, type in application status in the search bar, and it should be the last result that comes up on the page. It will say " application status."

I don't think it is too important, though.

As for facebook (from what I've heard), some upperclassmen usually make one and invite the newbies to join or something like that. I'm not sure, but it would be cool to have one.

Hope my "directions" to the status page didn't confuse you. lol

I'll apologize ahead of time for the long post. It won't pertain to many of you, but it basically has to do with if UT is the right choice (especially vs. UH), if you don't want to read it.

So I've been staying up to date with this thread and also the UHCOP thread. UTCOP has been a goal of mine since 2005, but I have always been intimidated by their admissions stats since I am an out of stater and didn't actually apply there till this year (my 3rd round of applications). Needless to say, I was overcome with excitement when I found out I got accepted to my first choice school. I decided to cancel my remaining interviews (UIC and UH). My interview at UIC was supposed to be tomorrow, and I am now beginning to feel remorse that I didn't at least give UIC a chance with an interview to check out the school. They gave me less than 2 weeks notice, so airfare would have been quite expensive which was a big factor b/c I'm now wanting to save up money to move to Austin. A lot of UH students that I've messaged from the UHCOP thread have been trying to convince me to go to my interview at UH in April before counting it out. Almost all of them have discounted the US News & World rankings (UT #4, UH #51) by saying the ranking system is arbitrary, but I am very interested in pursuing a PhD/PharmD path. I feel UT would be a much better school for research with more diverse opportunities (I would like to do something related to neuropharmacology). Can any current UTCOP (preferably those who also interviewed at UH) give me reasons why they chose UT over UH? To summarize what most of the UH students basically said: don't buy into the rankings, UH has the PCCA compounding lab, and the TX Medical Centers = almost guaranteed rotations where you want, UH students seem happier than their friends at UT (i know that's a blanket statement) b/c of classes/schedules, UH teachers are more accessible than UT's, etc. Personally, I would much much rather live in Austin than Houston anyway. I've done a fair amount of research, but hearing personal accounts has more bearing than facts on paper. After getting rejected for 2 years, I was of the mindset, "I'm going wherever I can get in," so I wasn't really expecting to have options and am now second guessing my "first choice." I'm basically looking for some reinforcement to skip my interview at UH and assuage some remorse for canceling my UIC interview by stating why UTCOP is the right choice.

Last edited:
Hey, anyone who got into UT COP for this year, you mind going to the Class of 2014- Official acceptance thread and listing yourself there?

I just want to get a good idea of those of you using SDN forums and got in. Not because using these forums matter, but so we can get a general idea. I know By3Times1Minus1 did it.

Did you like UT when you interviewed? Was there something that you didn't like?

If you have any doubts, interview with UH and see how it compares to UT ( don't give up on UT, though).

Personally, I think UH is a good school (despite rankings) and being close to the Texas Medical Center is a huge plus! But when it comes to research--I'd pick UT.
And, I don't think that you'll be missing out on anything by choosing UT.
-Teachers make themselves more than available ( from what I've heard and from my own experiences) AND they listen to their students!
- Tremendous opportunities ( in Houston! San Antonio and many other places)
- Research

For me it was my experience at UT thus far that helped me decide. I'm not taking anything away from Houston because I've lived there and I love it.

It's just something about UT.

Hopefully some experienced pharmacy school students can give you their point of view. This is just my two cents.

Good luck!

I'll apologize ahead of time for the long post. It won't pertain to many of you, but it basically has to do with if UT is the right choice (especially vs. UH), if you don't want to read it.
...I'm basically looking for some reinforcement to skip my interview at UH and assuage some remorse for canceling my UIC interview by stating why UTCOP is the right choice.

I would definitely say go to the school that is in the city you would rather live in. Personally, I hated living in Houston when I was there for my first 3 semesters of undergrad, so I transferred to UT and I have never been happier with a decision in my life. Living somewhere you don't really like is draining in a way that affects every. single. thing. you do in a negative way. Go to UT. You'll be glad you did.

So I've been staying up to date with this thread and also the UHCOP thread. UTCOP has been a goal of mine since 2005, but I have always been intimidated by their admissions stats since I am an out of stater and didn't actually apply there till this year (my 3rd round of applications). Needless to say, I was overcome with excitement when I found out I got accepted to my first choice school. I decided to cancel my remaining interviews (UIC and UH). My interview at UIC was supposed to be tomorrow, and I am now beginning to feel remorse that I didn't at least give UIC a chance with an interview to check out the school. They gave me less than 2 weeks notice, so airfare would have been quite expensive which was a big factor b/c I'm now wanting to save up money to move to Austin. A lot of UH students that I've messaged from the UHCOP thread have been trying to convince me to go to my interview at UH in April before counting it out. Almost all of them have discounted the US News & World rankings (UT #4, UH #51) by saying the ranking system is arbitrary, but I am very interested in pursuing a PhD/PharmD path. I feel UT would be a much better school for research with more diverse opportunities (I would like to do something related to neuropharmacology). Can any current UTCOP (preferably those who also interviewed at UH) give me reasons why they chose UT over UH? To summarize what most of the UH students basically said: don't buy into the rankings, UH has the PCCA compounding lab, and the TX Medical Centers = almost guaranteed rotations where you want, UH students seem happier than their friends at UT (i know that's a blanket statement) b/c of classes/schedules, UH teachers are more accessible than UT's, etc. Personally, I would much much rather live in Austin than Houston anyway. I've done a fair amount of research, but hearing personal accounts has more bearing than facts on paper. After getting rejected for 2 years, I was of the mindset, "I'm going wherever I can get in," so I wasn't really expecting to have options and am now second guessing my "first choice." I'm basically looking for some reinforcement to skip my interview at UH and assuage some remorse for canceling my UIC interview by stating why UTCOP is the right choice.

I would go to the UH interview if I were you and see if you like it or not. Its not far away and you don't have to buy an airplane ticket so what do you have to lose? In the end, it doesnt really matter what school you go to as long as you pass the NAPLEX. personally, i rather live in austin for 4 years than houston because you will have more of a social life there. people in houston go out and have fun also but its nothing compared to the austin scene. the only reason i would chose UH over austin is if my parents/family lived in houston and i was going to school while living with them to save money. you can even go to austin for 3 years and go to houston for 1 year during your rotations. i know a lot of UT alum with jobs all over houston. you dont have to go to UH to be able to experience the med center. pharmacy schools all over texas get rotations in the houston medical center. make sure you drive through UH main campus also when you visit because your classes arent all at the texas medical center campus.

Go to UH! So I can get your spot at UT!! LOL I'm just kidding. You can go to their interview, you have nothing to lose. And just because you get an interview and you've already got into a better school, it doesn't mean you're gonna get in to UH. I have a pharmacist friend who went to UT but didn't even get a UH interview. I'm just saying :)

Also I know of people who chose texas tech over UH and they are very happy with their decision. Yes, just because it's ranked much higher than UH. And if I don't get into UT, I'll be going to tech rather than UH.I guess I'm trying to say that ranking is important to me. Just a personal opinion.

For By3Times1Minus1,

I think you made a great decision by expressing your opinion on the UH vs. UT debate. I have mixed feelings in deciding between the two schools as well; however, I have yet to be granted an acceptance from either school. I did not apply to UIC so I would not know their interview process.

I honestly think UH and UT interviews were the best interviews compared to other schools that I interviewed. Pharmacy students from both schools were helpful and answered most of my questions. I must say, UT's interview was much more laid back because it consisted of only the interview portion.

According to a friend, UH's orientation period is a weeklong compared to UT's two days. UH has a committee of people working on orientation so they take a lot of thought into welcoming you into their school. Their orientation consists of many activities as well, not only the white coat ceremony. Also, their location is superb for networking since they are in the heart of the Texas Medical Center. The PCCA is located in Houston and UHCOP is the only pharmacy school that have students attend their compounding site semester-long.

I think UT offers more independence since I live closer to UH than UT. I would have to dorm if I attend UT and it is very different since I have never been away from home before. Also, UT has the some of the best professors (some has many patents in pharmacy and others are conducting cutting-edge research) in the world! There is also tutoring for those who are in need of help with their courses, and you don't need to be failing to ask for tutoring. The only thing that I feel is a negative aspect of UT is the fact that you have to go to different cities in order to do your rotations during your 3rd year. Of course, they will take into consideration your first choice, but there is a possibility you will go to a site you do not want. I am not sure how many students want the Houston/Galveston area, but these regions would be my top choice. If you're unlucky and many others want this choice too, then you really don't have any other option. I'm not sure if you can ask to change it though, it is a possibility.

In regards to your future, I think you made a great choice by attending UT for your PharmD/PhD degree. UT offers a great program for research. My research professor spoke highly of UT's professors and students. Either way, be happy with your decision and be ready to enjoy your pharmacy school years.

First of all, I'd like to congratulate everyone that got into UT-COP already :) and for those of yall still waiting, GOOD LUCK!

I know it might be a little early to be asking, but I'm a 2nd year pharmacy student looking for a roomie for next year :D my current roommate's leaving for her P4 rotations in Houston so I need to find a replacement soon :"(

I live in North Campus on the corner of Red River and Dean Keeton in a 2/1.5. The apt is fully furnished, has a laundry/dryer machine IN the apt, is a 15 minute walk to school OR a 5 minute busride (22 takes you directly there ,and Red River takes you directly back - busses are free with your UT ID). Easy access to I-35, close to HEB and a GREAT place to live. There's at least 6 other pharmacy students that live in my area, and the apartment has great natural lighting :)

Anyway, PM me if you're interested/want pics - rent's $590/mo which is a great deal for north campus apts :)

and if any of yall have questions about UT pharm, or just atx in general, feel free to contact me as well!

again, congrats and good luck!

Hi, guys! Unfortunately, I’ll be declining the offer of admission from UT because I’m from Seattle and I’ve been accepted into University of Washington’s School of Pharmacy. Hopefully I’ve opened one more spot…I must admit that UT is a GREAT school though! =)

Hi, guys! Unfortunately, I’ll be declining the offer of admission from UT because I’m from Seattle and I’ve been accepted into University of Washington’s School of Pharmacy. Hopefully I’ve opened one more spot…I must admit that UT is a GREAT school though! =)

dibs

Congratulations to everyone that has been accepted so far!! I spoke with Dr. Wilcox today and he said they have received 75 acceptances for admission in the fall and 5 people have declined the offer of admission. That's more than half of the class so far! The next meeting is on Thursday and I know they went at least 10 deep on the waiting list last fall. E-mails should go out on Friday. :)

Here is the link for the new fb group:
http://www.facebook.com/editphoto.p...s=1&failure=0#!/group.php?gid=108448585841251

Start getting to know each other!! If you have any questions about where to live or bus routes or anything else, ask and we will help you out! We can't wait to meet you!

Congratulations to everyone that has been accepted so far!! I spoke with Dr. Wilcox today and he said they have received 75 acceptances for admission in the fall and 5 people have declined the offer of admission. That's more than half of the class so far! The next meeting is on Thursday and I know they went at least 10 deep on the waiting list last fall. E-mails should go out on Friday. :)

http://www.facebook.com/editphoto.p...s=1&failure=0#!/group.php?gid=108448585841251

Start getting to know each other!! If you have any questions about where to live or bus routes or anything else, ask and we will help you out! We can't wait to meet you!

thanks so much for the info!! I am not going to be able to think about anything else until friday :xf::xf:

Hi,

I can't seem to get this link to work? Can I just search for it?