UT- Austin COP Fall 2010 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I guess I count as a UT applicant. I'm working on my essays for the initial ApplyTexas application and getting prepared to watch another $60 fly out of my wallet...

I already started on the ApplyTexas app. I just need to complete the essays too. They don't look that challenging IMO. I took a break because I have been busy with tests and HWs and trying to finish studying for the PCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
My question is: how hard will they look at your essay on ApplyTexas? Am I competing with incoming transfer students just to be able to get my foot in the door to apply to the PharmD program? It seems like such an awkward way to set it up.

I feel the same way. I spoke to someone in admissions and they said even if you are transferring to a professional program, you have to apply as an undergrad (silly IMO) and then you do the PharmD app on their website. Plus it seems like you may have to do 2 essays on there as well. Not 100% sure.

hey guys, I am applying I just finished my applytexas app. i agree, only school that I am applying to where you have to apply to the university first. good luck to us all.

hey delano and pharmb, do you guys have a particular school you would rather get into?

Texas A&M. I want to be a fighting Texas Aggie pharmacist :D

Though I should add that it's because A&M is a new school in a system I respect. If I were to get into both UT and A&M, I'd probably need some soul-searching time.

If I were single, UT all the way. :laugh:

Last edited:
I thought UIW was a private school? Did I hear wrong?

They don't get the apply texas essays those go to the undergrad admissions office. If you don't get accepted to pharmacy school they will consider accepting you for undergrad admission into the college of natural sciences. Also, this year there is no benefit in turning your application in early. They changed it to where after the deadline the admissions committee will meet and review all the applications at the same time. It used to be kind of a rolling admission sort of thing, but this year they changed it.

Members don't see this ad :)
They don't get the apply texas essays those go to the undergrad admissions office. If you don't get accepted to pharmacy school they will consider accepting you for undergrad admission into the college of natural sciences. Also, this year there is no benefit in turning your application in early. They changed it to where after the deadline the admissions committee will meet and review all the applications at the same time. It used to be kind of a rolling admission sort of thing, but this year they changed it.

Now this year UH is kinda has rolling admissions.

hey everyone...just checking to see how you guys are doing in school and how your app is going. hope all is well with you guys.

I'm an applicant!!! I am having trouble with one of the essays but I won't be able to get on it until after finals. Other than that, I am good to go. Does anyone know when they start giving out interview invitations?

The ApplyTexas essays are the ones that undergrad admissions see, not the COP. You have to be accepted into the university FIRST before you can join the COP.

Those essays are a joke anyway, I wrote mine in a day and sent them off. I was accepted but went another route.

I am applying to all the pharmacy schools in Texas (except for UIW). I am happy living in Texas, I don't want to go anywhere else.

Honestly, I would be happy to go to any of the Texas schools. I don't have a first choice. I tried to apply last year, but didn't work out so well because of PCAT scores. My first choice then was Texas Tech. For this year, I am kinda worried that none of the schools will accept me b/c of my low GPA. I know UT is a long shot since there are so many other qualifying candidates with better resumes/GPA/PCAT, but it doesn't hurt to try right? What is your top choice?

Honestly, I would be happy to go to any of the Texas schools. I don't have a first choice. I tried to apply last year, but didn't work out so well because of PCAT scores. My first choice then was Texas Tech. For this year, I am kinda worried that none of the schools will accept me b/c of my low GPA. I know UT is a long shot since there are so many other qualifying candidates with better resumes/GPA/PCAT, but it doesn't hurt to try right? What is your top choice?

It's good to get your name out there, even if you have low grades. Improving them and reapplying shows determination, like said above, and shows you want to be a better student.

By the way, I love your username.

UH pharmacy cares only for your grades and PCAT score.

UT cares less for these and puts more of an emphasis on your "well-rounded-ness" in a sense. What else can you bring to the table? What else have you done besides study?

If you have other things to boost your resume, then you'll do really well.

good luck!

UH pharmacy cares only for your grades and PCAT score.

Wow. Please don't listen to that. I am currently a student at UH. I consider my undergrad GPA and PCAT scores to be pretty average in terms of the applicant pool. I was accepted to both UT and UH last year and feel that my extracurricular activities, essays, and interview are what got me in to both schools.

Both schools are looking for well rounded candidates. I would think the same is true for any pharmacy school.

Hey do you mind sharing your stats since I'm applying to UH too! Thanks!

Anybody know when UT starts sending out interview invites?

Wow. Please don't listen to that. I am currently a student at UH. I consider my undergrad GPA and PCAT scores to be pretty average in terms of the applicant pool. I was accepted to both UT and UH last year and feel that my extracurricular activities, essays, and interview are what got me in to both schools.

Both schools are looking for well rounded candidates. I would think the same is true for any pharmacy school.

Curious why you decided to go to UH, when UT is located in a much younger-college oriented city; as well as having a reputation of being one of the best?

Tuition and living expenses is a little lower in Houston, but any public school in Texas is sure cheaper then public schools in MA or CA.

Anybody know when UT starts sending out interview invites?

Last year I think they sent them out in the middle of january. I know my actual interview was jan 30th or 31st

Hey UT applicants,

How long did it take for your UT application to be active after submitting ApplyTexas? It's been 4 days for me. I know it's the holidays, but I really want to finish the whole process.... on the website it says the ApplyTexas thing could take up to 2 days.

Thanks!

Hey '10 Applicants!

I'm a current P1 at UT and I practically lived on this site last year when I was applying to pharmacy schools. I also applied to and was admitted to UH and A&M. Furthermore, I am from Austin. If any of you have questions about UT, the application process for UT/UH/A&M, or you would like to know about Austin, please feel free to write.

Hi, I'm still doing my pre-req (in UTA) and am planning to apply to UT Austin. I would like to ask the pharm students there...1. what is the "standard" required GPA (lowest to be accepted accd ur knowledge), 2. PCAT scores 3. extra curricular activities 4. I've heard their application has like 5 essay questions...(which to me is pretty scary) how heavy do they play emphasis on these?

1. the average GPA for our class was 3.6, but I believe that they have accepted as low as 3.0

2. The average PCAT was 76

3. Extra curriculars and/or jobs - Definitely a plus to have worked in a pharmacy. More than half of the current P1 class has

4. Essays - I believe there were 2 essays last year for the COP. That does not include the ApplyTexas application. I was already a graduate of UT when I applied, so I only had to fill out the College of Pharmacy application.

Very useful statistical information can be found using the following URLs. I highly suggest that you dig around the UT College of Pharmacy website!

http://www.utexas.edu/pharmacy/admissions/admissionsfall09.pdf

http://www.utexas.edu/pharmacy/admissions/ad_stats.html

Hey '10 Applicants!

I'm a current P1 at UT and I practically lived on this site last year when I was applying to pharmacy schools. I also applied to and was admitted to UH and A&M. Furthermore, I am from Austin. If any of you have questions about UT, the application process for UT/UH/A&M, or you would like to know about Austin, please feel free to write.

So, what do you like about UT COP? I am working on the application essays and one of the questions is "why UT?" Did you answer this based on the information they had on their website?

Thank you in advance :)

Hey guys,

I am submitting my undergrad transfer application to UT austin today, so I have to wait to do the PharmD application. How many essays does the Pharm.D application require? I want to give myself enough time before the due date. THANKS!!!

So, what do you like about UT COP? I am working on the application essays and one of the questions is "why UT?" Did you answer this based on the information they had on their website?

Thank you in advance :)

Sorry for the late reply - I haven't logged on to SDN in a few days.

Some things I love about UTCOP

1. very well respected program throughout the country
2. tons of connections and networking opportunities
3. extremely caring professors who want you to succeed
4. Austin is quite culturally diverse and there are tons of things to do here
5. because of its reputation, UT is able to recruit the best faculty and the best student body, making for an exceptional and challenging program.
6. great mentor and tutoring programs
7. PharmD/PhD program opportunities
8. tons of research opportunities

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I am submitting my undergrad transfer application to UT austin today, so I have to wait to do the PharmD application. How many essays does the Pharm.D application require? I want to give myself enough time before the due date. THANKS!!!

2 essays for UTCOP

Sorry for the late reply - I haven't logged on to SDN in a few days.

Some things I love about UTCOP

1. very well respected program throughout the country
2. tons of connections and networking opportunities
3. extremely caring professors who want you to succeed
4. Austin is quite culturally diverse and there are tons of things to do here
5. because of its reputation, UT is able to recruit the best faculty and the best student body, making for an exceptional and challenging program.
6. great mentor and tutoring programs
7. PharmD/PhD program opportunities
8. tons of research opportunities

I have to agree with all of this. Though I have been known to bitch and moan quite a bit about certain courses or professors during pharmacy school, I would not have chosen to go anywhere else.

Our professors make themselves available to us. They are there not just for help with classes but also to give advice about career choices or just to listen if you are having a problem or crisis. Personally, I think our professors are the best thing about UT COP.

Also, there are teaching opportunities available after the P1 year. In your P2 and P3 years, you can apply to be an academic assistant in a lecture course or advanced academic assistant in a laboratory course. AA's typically will attend lectures, hold office hours, and hold review sessions each week. AAA's will set up lab materials (for compounding labs) or facilitate discussions in pharmacotherapy labs. In your P4 year, one of your rotations can be an elective in academia. In this rotation, you sort of act like a faculty member of the college (attending meetings, learning different teaching theories like Bloom's, give lectures, and work on a couple of research projects).

Last edited:
How long does it take for them to open up the pharmD application after you submit the applytexas one?

I have to agree with all of this. Though I have been known to bitch and moan quite a bit about certain courses or professors during pharmacy school, I would not have chosen to go anywhere else.

Our professors make themselves available to us. They are there not just for help with classes but also to give advice about career choices or just to listen if you are having a problem or crisis. Personally, I think our professors are the best thing about UT COP.

Also, there are teaching opportunities available after the P1 year. In your P2 and P3 years, you can apply to be an academic assistant in a lecture course or advanced academic assistant in a laboratory course. AA's typically will attend lectures, hold office hours, and hold review sessions each week. AAA's will set up lab materials (for compounding labs) or facilitate discussions in pharmacotherapy labs. In your P4 year, one of your rotations can be an elective in academia. In this rotation, you sort of act like a faculty member of the college (attending meetings, learning different teaching theories like Bloom's, give lectures, and work on a couple of research projects).

Hey Mike! Thanks for the MedChem tutoring :)

Hey Mike! Thanks for the MedChem tutoring :)

My pleasure! :D

Unfortunately I did not get the Pathology AA position for the Spring, but I will still be around for y'all to ask me about research or anything else I can help with.

How long does it take for them to open up the pharmD application after you submit the applytexas one?

I have no idea but I'm pretty frustrated... I submitted apply Texas on Dec 17, and they say it take 2 business days. The office was closed on Dec 21-Jan 3 for the holiday so apparently they are behind. I've been calling, but I'm worried I wont get rec letters and everything in on time. :(

Just saying guys, you should have started applying way back in August when everything was opening up.... rather than procrastinate till December/January.

My friend in TX told me that back in November, they only had 3 completed applications and a bulk (meaning 95%) of applications come in Dec/Jan. :laugh:

Hey everyone, interview dates will be 1/29, 1/30, 2/12, 2/13, 2/26, 2/27. Looks like they're trying to get them done ealier this year, hopefully that means decisions will also go out earlier. Good luck everyone.

Hey everyone, interview dates will be 1/29, 1/30, 2/12, 2/13, 2/26, 2/27. Looks like they're trying to get them done ealier this year, hopefully that means decisions will also go out earlier. Good luck everyone.

Thanks for the heads up!

Whats up everybody? I'm a current P1 student as well and can answer any questions you may have.

Get excited!! Interviews are coming up and I can't wait to see who wants to be in the incoming class! I love anything and everything UT, I bleed orange, and yes, UTCOP is the best pharmacy school in the world.

Who all will be here at the end of January?

Whats up everybody? I'm a current P1 student as well and can answer any questions you may have.

Get excited!! Interviews are coming up and I can't wait to see who wants to be in the incoming class! I love anything and everything UT, I bleed orange, and yes, UTCOP is the best pharmacy school in the world.

Who all will be here at the end of January?

Interview invitation were sent out already? My application was fully submitted a week before it was due. Do you know when is the next time the adcoms will send out invitations?

Interview invitation were sent out already? My application was fully submitted a week before it was due. Do you know when is the next time the adcoms will send out invitations?

I do not believe any of us at UT COP actually know when invitations will be sent, but look at my post above for interview dates. When I was applying (2007), invites were sent about 1 week before the interview date. Not sure if it will be the same this year.

Muchas gracias for the info. One week is a bit short notice. But I'll take it, I'm glad there's still time.

I do not believe any of us at UT COP actually know when invitations will be sent, but look at my post above for interview dates. When I was applying (2007), invites were sent about 1 week before the interview date. Not sure if it will be the same this year.

Yea I remember I found mine out with sort of short notice (not that I cared cause it was from UT). I interviewed at UH on the friday and had to do the UT interview on the saturday.