UT- Austin COP Fall 2010 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any UT students have any suggestions when it comes to where to live? Good prices, good locations, good student communities? I keep turning up apartment horror stories online lol. Seems like I may never find a place to live in Austin!

It depends on your top priority. Are you more concerned with finding the cheapest place? Or are you more concerned with finding a place close to campus? I live a few blocks north of campus and I really love it. Its not as loud as West Campus but it is about the same distance. The bus routes here are really great, too, so don't feel too bad about finding a cheaper place a little farther away. A lot of people suggest using an apartment locator to find the best place for you.

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone know when they will start sending out the packets of information?

90% of your exams the P1 year will be in the evening from 7-9. I highly suggest that you look for an apartment near campus (and on the bus route). West campus = loud party central. North campus (Hyde park) = quiet older students, so it seems. The Enfield area is also very nice. I currently live in a condo on 33rd and Speedway (North Campus), and I absolutely love it. Unfortunately, the closer you live to campus, the more expensive the apt.

Any UT students have any suggestions when it comes to where to live? Good prices, good locations, good student communities? I keep turning up apartment horror stories online lol. Seems like I may never find a place to live in Austin!

Members don't see this ad :)
oh, and riverside sucks. sorry to any of you who live on riverside, but it sucks. :)

90% of your exams the P1 year will be in the evening from 7-9. I highly suggest that you look for an apartment near campus (and on the bus route). West campus = loud party central. North campus (Hyde park) = quiet older students, so it seems. The Enfield area is also very nice. I currently live in a condo on 33rd and Speedway (North Campus), and I absolutely love it. Unfortunately, the closer you live to campus, the more expensive the apt.

Of course this will depend on how well you study. During my P1 year, I found it easier to stay on campus and study until the exam at 7pm. If I went home, I would have gotten too distracted to study as efficiently.

has anybody gotten their packet yet?

and

What are some reasons living closer to campus is better? I feel like I wouldn't mind the commute but maybe I'm not seeing the big picture.

Last edited:

and

What are some reasons living closer to campus is better? I feel like I wouldn't mind the commute but maybe I'm not seeing the big picture.

I'm an out of stater but have been to Austin a few times, so I may not be the best person to answer this. The traffic on I-35 can be pretty bad (and maybe Mopac too?). I went to LSU, and parking on campus was a huge hassle there. So much so that it was quicker for me to walk/bike to campus from my house than to find parking on campus and walk from the distant parking lots. I can't imagine how bad parking on a campus with twice the student population of LSU's will be. Plus if you live by the right shuttle/bus routes, you can get dropped off right by the pharmacy building. During P1, our tests will be at night/evening too, so depending on your preference, you might be going back and forth between home and campus several times a day. Personally, I don't like driving if I don't have to and will end up saving money on gas by getting a place closer to campus. I'm sure many students live further out, so maybe some of them can chime in and give their pros and cons to this.

I haven't received my packet yet, and I don't recall seeing anyone else saying they have either.

EDIT: Ann Spencer sent out an email today saying the packets were put in the mail, so we should be getting them soon.

Last edited:

and

An email went out today saying that the packets have just been sent and that we should be receiving them soon.

In regards to your question about living near campus, it's really about convenience. Also, like the poster before me mentioned, the traffic can be quite bad around rush-hour times. Not as bad as say, Houston, but there have been times in the morning and evening that a drive that normally takes about 10 minutes will end up taking 45 minutes or an hour. That said, there are parking garages that you can get a semester pass for that are quite close to the pharmacy school, and it will be a bit cheaper to live well off campus. Shoot me an email if you have any other questions.

and

If you can afford to live near campus, DO SO!

you are going to be so busy that the time you spend commuting will be a major pain in the ass and a cause for stress. Unlike Mike, I like prefer to study at home, and preferably take a nap before each evening exam to destress. Living near campus has been a huge-life-saver.

If you can afford to live near campus, DO SO!

you are going to be so busy that the time you spend commuting will be a major pain in the ass and a cause for stress. Unlike Mike, I like prefer to study at home, and preferably take a nap before each evening exam to destress. Living near campus has been a huge-life-saver.

My study habits have drastically changed since P1 year. During P1, I would stay on campus all day and actually study all day until our night exams.

Now, in my P3 year, I just do not give a **** anymore. I never study for any of my exams and just take the goddamn B. I do not worry about A's anymore.

And yes, now I wish I lived downtown closer to campus, though my reasons are not academic. I just wish I lived downtown so it would be easier to go out drinking without having to drive forever to get to and from the bars.

I never applied to UT school of pharmacy, but I'm very excited for you all accepted! Austin is an incredible city!

My study habits have drastically changed since P1 year. During P1, I would stay on campus all day and actually study all day until our night exams.

Now, in my P3 year, I just do not give a **** anymore. I never study for any of my exams and just take the goddamn B. I do not worry about A's anymore.

And yes, now I wish I lived downtown closer to campus, though my reasons are not academic. I just wish I lived downtown so it would be easier to go out drinking without having to drive forever to get to and from the bars.

Ha, sorry folks...with the new curriculum there will be very little time for drinking until you hit summer...

and

Hello Bear715, have you received your packet yet? I am in Houston and I haven't gotten anything yet. :( If anyone else seems to have received it, can you tell us what's inside? lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Bear715, have you received your packet yet? I am in Houston and I haven't gotten anything yet. :( If anyone else seems to have received it, can you tell us what's inside? lol

I was out of town since Thursday, but it was in my mailbox when I got home Sunday night (I live in Baton Rouge, LA btw). There's an acceptance card and authorization/release form that we must return, a letter listing any missing prereqs, immunization requirements, recommended computer specs, technical standards information, orientation registration info, and a four page letter of "Important Materials," which covers stuff like honor code, tuition estimates, experiental programs, background checks, etc.

I was out of town since Thursday, but it was in my mailbox when I got home Sunday night (I live in Baton Rouge, LA btw). There's an acceptance card and authorization/release form that we must return, a letter listing any missing prereqs, immunization requirements, recommended computer specs, technical standards information, orientation registration info, and a four page letter of "Important Materials," which covers stuff like honor code, tuition estimates, experiental programs, background checks, etc.

Thank you very much! That's very weird, I live in Houston, it's much closer than Louisiana, but I haven't received it yet. I'll wait a couple of days to see if it will come.

Thank you very much! That's very weird, I live in Houston, it's much closer than Louisiana, but I haven't received it yet. I'll wait a couple of days to see if it will come.

Have you received the e-mail from Ann Spencer concerning the packets? I believe that they are sending it in batches. I believe that the first group of acceptances had their packets sent out last week. The second group of acceptances should have received an e-mail yesterday that their packets had just been placed in the mail, so another batch should arrive this week.

Have you received the e-mail from Ann Spencer concerning the packets? I believe that they are sending it in batches. I believe that the first group of acceptances had their packets sent out last week. The second group of acceptances should have received an e-mail yesterday that their packets had just been placed in the mail, so another batch should arrive this week.

Other than my acceptance e-mail, Ann hasn't e-mailed me regarding the packets. I guess the packets are "specialized" so it'll take time to put together. I received my acceptance pretty late so I guess I will expect to receive it later than everyone else. I appreciate your help.

Now that crossing the first hudle of getting accepted is over, I'm thinking about cost of attendance. It's a question I hate to ask, but proffessional programs clearly don't come cheap. I was wondering how everyone was planning on paying for tuition and fees. I don't know about everyone else, but I decided to recieve my Bachelor's degree first and now I'm beggining to think maybe it wasnt such a great idea. I knew graduate students recieved reduced financial aid in the form of grants, but I wasn't prepared when I found out grants were limited to about $700. Are loans really the answer to paying for tuition? Is there any room to get a job during pharmacy school to help offset some costs?

Now that crossing the first hudle of getting accepted is over, I'm thinking about cost of attendance. It's a question I hate to ask, but proffessional programs clearly don't come cheap. I was wondering how everyone was planning on paying for tuition and fees. I don't know about everyone else, but I decided to recieve my Bachelor's degree first and now I'm beggining to think maybe it wasnt such a great idea. I knew graduate students recieved reduced financial aid in the form of grants, but I wasn't prepared when I found out grants were limited to about $700. Are loans really the answer to paying for tuition? Is there any room to get a job during pharmacy school to help offset some costs?

Other than grants and scholarships, loans are really your best bet. It sucks owing somebody money but you should be able to pay off most of your loans in a good amount of time after you graduate. P1's can intern at a local pharmacy during the summer and they make some extra money during that time. I know a couple of students who have worked during their pharmacy school career. Mainly during their P2, P3 years though. I think working during your P1 year will be pretty hard.

Here's a pretty solid way: www.fairfaxcryobank.com

Other than grants and scholarships, loans are really your best bet. It sucks owing somebody money but you should be able to pay off most of your loans in a good amount of time after you graduate. P1's can intern at a local pharmacy during the summer and they make some extra money during that time. I know a couple of students who have worked during their pharmacy school career. Mainly during their P2, P3 years though. I think working during your P1 year will be pretty hard.

While students could usually work during the school-year during their P2 and P3 years in the past, this will no longer be plausible with the new curriculum.

Here's the new breakdown vs the way things have been in the past:
P1: 16/16 (past = 16/16)
P2: 19/18 (past = 13/13)
P3: 17/16 (past = 0-7/17)

Those numbers do not include some elective course that must be taken. Those hours only reflect the MINIMUM load that a student must take. Do not count on the idea of working. Unfortunately, summer is the only time to make extra money without feeling completely overwhelmed, so it seems.

Anyway, loans are not the end of the world. Hopefully most of us will be making enough after graduation to pay them back in a reasonable amount of time.

When they say required courses needs to be a C or higher... does this include a C-? I am not sure how the transfer equivalency is. Please let me know ASAP.

Hey Krissy, I think it's best to ask Dr. Wilcox or Ann Spencer. You don't want to jeopardize your admission by following information that might be false.

OrgoSynthesizer, how come next year's schedule is so different from last year's? Is the curriculum focused on a certain topic more than the others?

OrgoSynthesizer, how come next year's schedule is so different from last year's? Is the curriculum focused on a certain topic more than the others?

During my interview session, we were told that the students told the administration they would rather not have mandatory summer semesters, so they revised the curriculum to more fall/spring hours and no summer hours. I think it was something to that effect anyway - I don't remember the exact details.

Hey Krissy, I think it's best to ask Dr. Wilcox or Ann Spencer. You don't want to jeopardize your admission by following information that might be false.

Sorry I've been in complete hibernation studying for the insane amount of exams we have. 9 exams in 2 weeks = a little stressed out.

The curriculum change happened this year. We no longer have summer classes, AND they actually added some classes (professional development convocation, an OTC class, and some others). Why they did this to us is still a mystery...but its gonna make life really FUN!!!

Hey guys/gals,
We all struggled ( if not a lot of us) to get in. Regardless of our P1 or ..P4 scheldule, we will make it. Remember how we all felt when we were getting ready for O-chem? And what about the pcat? Don't even want to talk about the itw process! And we all made it. I'm pretty sure we'll be just fine. Let's stop beeing scared by whatever everybody says :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::D

No disrespect to our mentors! We just need some confidence here!!! Thanks for ur understanding;)

No disrespect to our mentors! We just need some confidence here!!! Thanks for ur understanding;)

I have no intentions of scaring anyone. Some of your incoming classmates asked specific questions about being able to work and pay for school during the Fall/Spring semester. By explaining the changes, I was trying to give you all a more realistic view of what's coming up. In no way am I trying to tell any of you to, "get out while you can." Of course you all can do it! I just think its important for you to be aware of the changes so that some of you can make appropriate plans in regards to your financial situations.

I'm totally feeling ya here. I am scared, excited, and anxious for pharmacy school. By reading comments from current students like Orgosynthesizer, it gives me a good idea of what is expected of me and what I should do. The last thing I want to do is enter pharmacy school and have it hit me in the face because I wasn't prepared. I'm just going to try my best and make some money over the summer and pray for a great upcoming year.

I received an e-mail from Miss Ann Spencer stating that the packet was mailed out on Thursday, April 29th. Did anyone who had their packet sent out on this date receive their acceptance packet yet? It's been longer than one week and I have not received it yet, should I be worried?

Yah I would go ahead and email her to see what is up. I think i received my packet fairly quickly (roughly a few days). I did have it sent to an Austin address, though.

For those of you who did your undergrad at UT, I am curious to know if your GPA starts over in pharmacy school?

Just wondering.....does UT pharm school have a dress code? Do you have to wear a dress shirt/slacks/tie? I know that most Texas schools have this type of dress code, but I wanted to make sure before I went out to buy a whole new set of clothes. That part will kind of suck, I'm really more of a t-shirt and jeans kind of guy. :zip:

For those currently attending UT, has your application status changed yet? I am still waiting for mine to change....

Just wondering.....does UT pharm school have a dress code? Do you have to wear a dress shirt/slacks/tie? I know that most Texas schools have this type of dress code, but I wanted to make sure before I went out to buy a whole new set of clothes. That part will kind of suck, I'm really more of a t-shirt and jeans kind of guy. :zip:

1. your GPA is continuous, regardless of your graduation status.
2. 3 days of the week you will need to wear business casual clothes. Look for sales now! (and no, expensive jeans don't count as business casual)

1. your GPA is continuous, regardless of your graduation status.
2. 3 days of the week you will need to wear business casual clothes. Look for sales now! (and no, expensive jeans don't count as business casual)

Cool, thanks :)

Hey Guys!! I am going to be moving up from Houston and was wondering if anybody was still looking for a female roommate. PM me if you are interested.

Hey if anyone is still looking for a roommate, mine had to back out last minute, so I'm looking for a roommate in a house that I found. Guy or girl, doesn't matter, but I am a guy. Move in date is June 21st though, so somebody that wants to move in soon.

PM if interested =)

Hey class of 2014! Are you all enjoying your summer breaks? It seems the forum has died since everyone got their acceptances. Still, if any of you have questions about the year ahead, post your question or feel free to PM me. Some tips:

1. Look for sales on laser printers. I highly suggest a laser printer purchase.
2. Look for sales on business casual clothes. Guys: slacks and collared shirts (ties not necessary, usually). Ladies: business appropriate dresses, skirts, pants, and blouses. In terms of shoes, I would suggest buying a nice variety of cute flats (walking around campus in heals is NOT fun)
3. Get as much time working in your pharmacies as possible. You'll pick up a lot more info in the pharmacy than you think from your day-to-day work experiences
4. Enjoy your summers but don't kill off too many of your brain cells! ;)

Will a B&W laser printer work, or do you think it would benefit us enough to invest in a color printer? I just remember for some of my undergrad classes, the illustrations on the slides were color coded (different types of cell, atoms, etc.) and were hard to study in B&W.

Will a B&W laser printer work, or do you think it would benefit us enough to invest in a color printer? I just remember for some of my undergrad classes, the illustrations on the slides were color coded (different types of cell, atoms, etc.) and were hard to study in B&W.

color laser printers are extremely expensive - go for black and white. if something needs to be color-coded use highlighters. :)

For all of you guys admitted into UT, were you pharm tech certified? What were your pharmacy experiences?

For all of you guys admitted into UT, were you pharm tech certified? What were your pharmacy experiences?

I've been certified since 2006 and had about 4.25 years of retail experience by the time I interviewed.

I'm applying to UT this fall. I was looking at the essay prompts. For the personal statement essay for the general UT application, the only things I can think to write overlap with my "why pharmacy" essay. I was wondering if you guys could give an idea of some of the things you wrote for that general UT essay.
Also, does the COP really not see the general UT essays at all?

Thanks!

I'm applying to UT this fall. I was looking at the essay prompts. For the personal statement essay for the general UT application, the only things I can think to write overlap with my "why pharmacy" essay. I was wondering if you guys could give an idea of some of the things you wrote for that general UT essay.
Also, does the COP really not see the general UT essays at all?

Thanks!

Yea, I had the same problem being a transfer student. Plus already having my bachelor's gave me little substance to write a statement of purpose for the Apply Texas app without having large overlap with my PharmD app SOP. I called the undergrad admissions office because I was doubting whether I could submit similar essays for the 2 apps (the PharmD one was much more condensed because it only had a 400 word limit). The lady I spoke with said she wouldn't advise submitting basically the same essay but then went on and said PharmD ADCOM won't look at your Apply TX stuff at all. Apply TX is only to get admitted into UT in general, whereas the PharmD app is just for the COP. When I asked her what she would then suggest I write my Apply TX essay about since I had already finished undergrad and had no other intent to apply to UT other than pharmacy, she couldn't give me an answer but just kept saying that they shouldn't be too similar. Since I couldn't think of anything else to write about, I went ahead and submitted practically the same essay for both applications. It worked out for me in the end, so I would say go for it based on my experience. I don't think the COP ADCOM will look at your Apply TX app unless there's some sort of discrepancy or something? Some of the current students can probably answer questions about admissions better than I can. I found the whole application process very confusing and cumbersome if you are already a degree holder since you have to apply as an undergrad transfer. The app was geared towards undergrad/high school students, so I didn't know how to answer a lot of the questions (if they wanted high school or college activities and such). I feel they need to revise the Apply TX portion of the application for transfer degree holders. Did everyone else submit similar or different essays?

Yea, I had the same problem being a transfer student. Plus already having my bachelor's gave me little substance to write a statement of purpose for the Apply Texas app without having large overlap with my PharmD app SOP. I called the undergrad admissions office because I was doubting whether I could submit similar essays for the 2 apps (the PharmD one was much more condensed because it only had a 400 word limit). The lady I spoke with said she wouldn't advise submitting basically the same essay but then went on and said PharmD ADCOM won't look at your Apply TX stuff at all. Apply TX is only to get admitted into UT in general, whereas the PharmD app is just for the COP. When I asked her what she would then suggest I write my Apply TX essay about since I had already finished undergrad and had no other intent to apply to UT other than pharmacy, she couldn't give me an answer but just kept saying that they shouldn't be too similar. Since I couldn't think of anything else to write about, I went ahead and submitted practically the same essay for both applications. It worked out for me in the end, so I would say go for it based on my experience. I don't think the COP ADCOM will look at your Apply TX app unless there's some sort of discrepancy or something? Some of the current students can probably answer questions about admissions better than I can. I found the whole application process very confusing and cumbersome if you are already a degree holder since you have to apply as an undergrad transfer. The app was geared towards undergrad/high school students, so I didn't know how to answer a lot of the questions (if they wanted high school or college activities and such). I feel they need to revise the Apply TX portion of the application for transfer degree holders. Did everyone else submit similar or different essays?

They really don't look at the Apply Texas app at all.

If anyone is still looking for a roommate (including upperclassmen) and wants to live in Hyde Park, message me please. I'm a guy, but I'm fine living with a guy or a girl. The lease period is flexible, and we'd be able to move in as soon as next week if you're in a rush, but later can work too.