UT- Austin COP Fall 2010 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to all that have been accepted so far! Welcome to four years of Hell! :laugh:

Seriously, though I wish everyone the best of luck. I am hoping to be a TA for the Med Chem course that y'all will take this Fall. I did it last semester and really loved it. And I am a totally awesome teacher, if I do say so myself! :D

Mike

I'm confused. For those of us who didn't get an email on Friday, should we be expecting a rejection letter soon or is there still a chance?! I wish they would hurry up and let us know. I need to figure out my life for next year.

I'm confused. For those of us who didn't get an email on Friday, should we be expecting a rejection letter soon or is there still a chance?! I wish they would hurry up and let us know. I need to figure out my life for next year.
My friend/co-worker got in. He e-mailed Dr. Wilcox about spots left, and Dr. Wilcox replied that there were about 10 to 15 spots left due to rejecting acceptances.

We'll have to wait Monday for last-minute acceptances. I would hope to think there's an element of rolling admissions going on with UT, even though they don't appear to have rolling admissions.

Letters of rejection will come as soon as all spots are locked up. Expect it a week or two after next.

that's so good to hear. i'm not getting my hopes up, but i'd love to hear good news next week. :) at least that will get me through the weekend.

ok thanks for the info. I really need to find out by April 1st. I may just email them and ask them to let me know. I can't wait any longer.

In his email to me on Friday, Wilcox said that they're still considering some applicants and that they'd let us know "as soon as they are able". When is THAT?!I wish they weren't so vague about this whoLe thing. When I was at my Tech interview, they told us that our applications would be reviewed on March 11th and they would let us know by mail a few days after that. Sure enough I got my letter in the mail on March 15th. Why can't UT do this?!

This is new system they are using this year; we're pretty much all guinea pigs. Some kinks are to be expected.

I think the spots left are mostly spots from people who declined their admission offer, which the newly admitted students need to accept or decline by 5:00 PM on March 30th. So, I'm assuming that those who are yet to be admitted need won't hear until after March 30th, so they know how many more spots they have left to give out.

My friend/co-worker got in. He e-mailed Dr. Wilcox about spots left, and Dr. Wilcox replied that there were about 10 to 15 spots left due to rejecting acceptances.

We'll have to wait Monday for last-minute acceptances. I would hope to think there's an element of rolling admissions going on with UT, even though they don't appear to have rolling admissions.

Letters of rejection will come as soon as all spots are locked up. Expect it a week or two after next.

10-15 more spots isn't awful. i am still going to keep a little hope. i think i have aged 5 years over the past month from waiting for this decision!!

Hi future classmates!!! i got accepted on friday and I am soooooo excited!! I am declining my spot at UH bc UT is my first choice. I am looking forward to meeting all of you this fall. Also, I am looking for a female roommate! PM me if you are interested :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Maaaybe some people will hear tomorrow since those that got accepted had to say yes or no today at 5.

Maaaybe some people will hear tomorrow since those that got accepted had to say yes or no today at 5.

keep in mind, guys, that some folks stated above that they did receive rejection letters already. if you haven't yet, that probably means you are in line for any additional spots that open up. keep hope alive and good luck!

keep in mind, guys, that some folks stated above that they did receive rejection letters already. if you haven't yet, that probably means you are in line for any additional spots that open up. keep hope alive and good luck!

Yep, I'm trying to! I got a "tabled" letter today from UH. I feel like i'm in limbo everywhere!! It's frustrating, but certainly better than a no! :xf:

I emailed Dr Wilcox yesterday..........

....and he hasn't emailed me back yet. I'll keep y'all posted.

Me tooooo. I finally broke down and emailed Dr. Wilcox even though I feel like I am bugging him since everyone probably is.
:confused:

I've already emailed him too many times. I can't do that anymore. he's gonna think I'm a freak! Haha

Me tooooo. I finally broke down and emailed Dr. Wilcox even though I feel like I am bugging him since everyone probably is.
:confused:

Yeah I just called Admissions Office, and I get the ol' "we will let the applicants know as soon as possible." Dr. Wilcox still has not gotten back with me. As of now, I do not understand what the hold up is, as everyone was supposed to give a answer by 5 pm on Tuesday. I figured today would be the day we found out. I just want to end the constant email checking every 5 minutes and wish they would just give us a date....

Yeah I just called Admissions Office, and I get the ol' "we will let the applicants know as soon as possible." Dr. Wilcox still has not gotten back with me. As of now, I do not understand what the hold up is, as everyone was supposed to give a answer by 5 pm on Tuesday. I figured today would be the day we found out. I just want to end the constant email checking every 5 minutes and wish they would just give us a date....

JUST GOT IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

Jesus. I wish they would give out rejection emails too. This is killing me

Soooo considering that it's now 6 pm, is it safe to assume that since there's no e-mail in my inbox, there should be a rejection letter on its way soon? Those of you that were accepted/rejected already, did your application status page change?

I'm not sure how accurate the "Application Status Page" is on the UT website. I got accepted on March 26th, and my status still says "We received your online application..."; the same message it had when I first submitted my application. My friend got accepted on March 12th, and I believe hers still has that same message.

I'm not sure how accurate the "Application Status Page" is on the UT website. I got accepted on March 26th, and my status still says "We received your online application..."; the same message it had when I first submitted my application. My friend got accepted on March 12th, and I believe hers still has that same message.

Oh... Well, great. I probably have a stomach ulcer now thanks to all of the anxiety this whole process has caused me! I just want to know! Ahhh if I've been rejected then just tell me alreadddyyyy.

Mine took a few days to change, but now it says accepted. It also has a list of things they need you to complete, like changing your account password and submitting final transcripts.

Mine took a few days to change, but now it says accepted. It also has a list of things they need you to complete, like changing your account password and submitting final transcripts.

Just curious, are you at UT for undergrad or at a different school? I wouldn't need to change my UTEID password or submit final transcripts, since I already go to UT for undergrad. My friend who got accepted on the 12th also attends UT for undergrad. Maybe that is why our statuses haven't changed.

Just curious, are you at UT for undergrad or at a different school? I wouldn't need to change my UTEID password or submit final transcripts, since I already go to UT for undergrad. My friend who got accepted on the 12th also attends UT for undergrad. Maybe that is why our statuses haven't changed.

mine changed on the 12th. i'm a transfer student, so that supports your theory.

I have to respond by Monday,April 5th at noon.

For those who are waiting, I felt your pain. I was devastated when the first few rounds of acceptances came out and I got nothing. Honestly, I felt my interview went great, but my stats are just plain decent so I didn't know if I had a chance. So still keep those fingers crossed!!! Good luck for those who are waiting.

No, I did not attend UT for undergrad. I went to a different university to get my undergrad degree. I think that's one reason I'm a little nervous though. I've never been to UT, and I've only briefly visited Austin once. Hope I don't get completely lost in a new city.

To those who got into UT this week - congratulations.

Can you (or anyone else who got accepted before) e-mail Dr. Wilcox to ask if there are any more spots left?

Also, can you ask how many re-applicants (from last fall and fall 2008 attempts) got into UT COP this year?

Last edited:
Bump - would be appreciated if someone would kindly help us out, thanks.

I think it's pretty much over. I'm waiting to get my rejection letter.

Hello everyone! I would like to say congrats to those who got accepted!! And ones that didn't, don't worry there's always next year!

I'm new to SDN and I've been following up on topics pertaining to the pharmacy schools I plan to apply. One thing I wanted to ask about UT CoP is, if you had retaken a course such as General Chemistry, which letter grade would they take? both? do they average the 2 grades out? or do they pick only the higher grade? I'm trying to figure out my cum. GPA and Sci/Math GPA. I have tried searching on UT's CoP website for info on this matter but was not able to find anything. Up to how many years will UT CoP take your earned coursework? For example, Texas A&M stated: Applicants who have earned coursework five or more calendar years prior to applying to the College of Pharmacy, but who have not earned a bachelor's degree, must retake the prerequisites to be considered for admission.

Any info would be greatly appreciated! OH! And one more question (sorry) I noticed some people included their Sci/Math GPA but does this GPA include other science courses such as Biology of Texas, Brain and Behavior, etc. or math courses such as trig, college algebra, etc.? Or are they only counting the GPA for the pre-req Sci/Math courses (like Calculus, Gen Chem, Gen Bio)?

Thank you for your time!

Last edited:
I noticed some people included their Sci/Math GPA but does this GPA include other science courses such as Biology of Texas, Brain and Behavior, etc. or math courses such as trig, college algebra, etc.? Or are they only counting the GPA for the pre-req Sci/Math courses (like Calculus, Gen Chem, Gen Bio)?

Thank you for your time!

Are you okay?

Hello everyone! I would like to say congrats to those who got accepted!! And ones that didn't, don't worry there's always next year!

I'm new to SDN and I've been following up on topics pertaining to the pharmacy schools I plan to apply. One thing I wanted to ask about UT CoP is, if you had retaken a course such as General Chemistry, which letter grade would they take? both? do they average the 2 grades out? or do they pick only the higher grade? I'm trying to figure out my cum. GPA and Sci/Math GPA. I have tried searching on UT's CoP website for info on this matter but was not able to find anything. Up to how many years will UT CoP take your earned coursework? For example, Texas A&M stated: Applicants who have earned coursework five or more calendar years prior to applying to the College of Pharmacy, but who have not earned a bachelor’s degree, must retake the prerequisites to be considered for admission.

Any info would be greatly appreciated! OH! And one more question (sorry) I noticed some people included their Sci/Math GPA but does this GPA include other science courses such as Biology of Texas, Brain and Behavior, etc. or math courses such as trig, college algebra, etc.? Or are they only counting the GPA for the pre-req Sci/Math courses (like Calculus, Gen Chem, Gen Bio)?

Thank you for your time!

UT averages your grades together to calculate your GPA. I'm not sure how old your earned courswork can be at UT but as long as you are still in school, they normally will take up to 10 years. People just post random GPAs and they could be for any classes. I would just be concerned with your prepharm GPA and overall GPA. UT's website has statistics from other entering classes and I would look at those to compare yourself to other applicants.

UT averages your grades together to calculate your GPA. I'm not sure how old your earned courswork can be at UT but as long as you are still in school, they normally will take up to 10 years. People just post random GPAs and they could be for any classes. I would just be concerned with your prepharm GPA and overall GPA. UT's website has statistics from other entering classes and I would look at those to compare yourself to other applicants.
Thank you so much!

Hey guys -

a friend of mine, who's also waiting for UT (if any shred of hope remaining for the both of us) wants to know if they're doing waiting list e-mails. He said a friend of his got e-mails about the waitlist last year. Anyone know if they changed that?

PS. Would we have to e-mail UT COP to ask if we're on the waitlist?

Last edited:
They got waitlist/deferred emails last year because of rolling admissions; after each admission committee meeting round, if they were not accepted, they were able to be deferred and reviewed again at the next meeting. Applicants were notified about their deferment until the next review. Since they are not doing rolling admissions this year anymore and do not have any more big adcom meetings, I don't think they are still doing the waiting list emails. However, I'm not certain on that, and it wouldn't hurt to email Dr. Wilcox to see if he could answer that.

this post is for current Texas pharmacy students and alumni

do you know if being a texas alum gives you an advantage in trying to find a job in CA? I know I have to get good grades, be active in clubs/organizations, and have networks, but are there are decent amount of Texas alumni in CA. I really want to work in CA, but currently there are too many pharmacists (from what I hear). Any recommendations/tips will be greatly appreciated

Got my rejection letter today. :( Ah well, still have hope at 2 more schools....

Emailed Dr. Wilcox today about my status and he emailed back to let me know that I wasn't selected for admission or the waitlist. He said that I could schedule an advising session this summer to find out why I wasn't accepted. So I guess I'll be expecting a rejection letter in the mail soon.

Emailed Dr. Wilcox today about my status and he emailed back to let me know that I wasn't selected for admission or the waitlist. He said that I could schedule an advising session this summer to find out why I wasn't accepted. So I guess I'll be expecting a rejection letter in the mail soon.

I got the same email and my rejection letter yesterday. I got accepted to an out of state school and still have hope for houston. I'm not sure if I'll be applying to UT again next year or going to the out of state school if I don't get into houston. Congrats to everyone who got accepted!

Any UT students have any suggestions when it comes to where to live? Good prices, good locations, good student communities? I keep turning up apartment horror stories online lol. Seems like I may never find a place to live in Austin!