UT- Austin COP Fall 2010 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You cannot apply for residencies until your P4 year, because you cannot start your residency until you complete all 4 years of pharmacy school.

I think they were asking about becoming a Texas resident for tax and tuition purposes.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it is fairly easy to gain residency for tuition purposes. The best person to answer this would be Greg Caldera. Dean Wilcox would be a good person to ask as well.

To MB41: Dr. Wilcox said that about ::insert hand wiggle here:: 250 interview invitations had been sent. At one point I also heard 250-260, so they aren't using hard numbers, just estimates.

I think they were asking about becoming a Texas resident for tax and tuition purposes.

Haha, I totally misinterpreted the question. I thought it was kind of strange...thanks for setting me straight.

Members don't see this ad :)
any P1s care to share their transition from undergrad to ut pharm school experience? :horns:

I know this is slightly off topic, but I'm a ChemE major at UTexas and I was wondering, does UT have a slight bias for students who are current undergrads at UT? Like do they prefer candidates that don't attend UT currently?

ahhh this wait until mid/end march is going to drive me craazyy!:eek: i knew i've wanted to attend UT pharmacy for a while since i did my undergrad here, but after my interview i want it a million times even more!

@ChESted-i hope they do favor their own students atleast a little. i've heard both sides though, like maybe they don't because they want diversity. i think they understand to a certain extent that the course load here is challenging so hopefully that helps!

any P1s care to share their transition from undergrad to ut pharm school experience? :horns:

Get organized quick and stay that way the entire time!!! I never realized how many little things (ie. essays, papers, due dates for this and that, quizzes) would be given. I had always assumed it was just go to class and study the material for tests. That is definitely not the case with professional school.

You will be expected to be able to reflect on experiences you are going through, and there will be alot of things that you must be able to keep up with yourself so that you don't fall behind.

As far as classes in P1 year compared to undergrad...each class individually is not too terribly hard at all, and not much different than upper division classes you had in undergrad, although they will be at a more accelerated pace. Combined however, it can be a bitch at times. First of all, you gotta figure you are taking something like 9 classes at once (which includes labs and such). Now, they are not all 3 hour credit classes, but there is still work to be done and kept up with in each class. So all these combined, with pretty much a test or two a week starting in October when you enter in the fall, can be somewhat overwhelming if you don't come in with the attitude of giving it your all and staying organized and on top of everything so that it makes the transition smoother. That was a long run on sentence I'm sure.

But do remember there is plenty of time for social life. Believe me! I am as social as can be. It's what you make of it.

I know this is slightly off topic, but I'm a ChemE major at UTexas and I was wondering, does UT have a slight bias for students who are current undergrads at UT? Like do they prefer candidates that don't attend UT currently?

They really don't favor either UT students or non-UT students, for the most part. It is true that a good bulk of people at UT COP are from UT, but I think that can be attested to the fact that a big chunk of the applicant pool in general is from UT. They admissions committee is way more interested in your professional credentials, personality, integrity, etc. It is true that there are different tiers of schools, but if your PCAT scores are decent, it's usually not a big deal.

Hope this helps!

wow, i just got back from the interview, and i loved it. the atmosphere and people were so great. i feel so inspired from all of the different types of pharmacy programs ut offers. i really hope i get to go there! what did others think about interviews?

I had my interview on Friday afternoon and it was a really great experience!

One thing I loved was that the students treated you like you were already accepted into the school. They were all friendly, honest, and passionate about pharmacy and the UT College of Pharmacy. Everyone treated you like they wanted you to be there, and made it seem that if you were accepted, that they would do whatever it took to get you to attend the school, as well as succeed while attending.

Since I am an active member and chair of the Pre-Pharmacy organization at UT, I was able to see a few friends who are already in the pharmacy school, as well as members of my organization who were interviewing with me.

My interviewer and student interviewer were very responsive and friendly. One thing I really liked about my interviewer was that after he asked me a question, he allowed me to give my answer and then when I was finished, he would give me a little more insight into the real life applications of the questions. For example, for the ethical situations, I would give my response and then he would tell me "When you're a pharmacist in the future, you will encounter X, Y, and Z in this situation." It was helpful and interesting and certainly pertinent information.

Some people might not have enjoyed the slide show, but since I already go to UT, it really pumped me up! =D I actually googled the song that they used and have been listening to it on repeat. LOL.

Thanks everyone at UT Austin COP for making me feel friendly and relaxed during my entire interview. I really loved the friendly, family atmosphere that the school faculty, and students UT made. My interviewer and my student interviewer were super friendly and really nice. She knew every details that i put in my essays. Overall, my interview time was awesome.

At first, i reluctantly applied to UT AUstin because its high ranking and my out-state status. But after having a informative, friendly conversation with Mr Greg Calderla last year when i visited the school as well as a great experience with UT Austin COP during my interview has confirmed me that i did the right thing and Austin is absolutely my first school choice.

Do you know who i can speak with/contact to find out more information about my pre-pharm requirements and finacial aid stuffs. Thanks in advance.

I had my interview on Friday afternoon and it was a really great experience!

One thing I loved was that the students treated you like you were already accepted into the school. They were all friendly, honest, and passionate about pharmacy and the UT College of Pharmacy. Everyone treated you like they wanted you to be there, and made it seem that if you were accepted, that they would do whatever it took to get you to attend the school, as well as succeed while attending.

Since I am an active member and chair of the Pre-Pharmacy organization at UT, I was able to see a few friends who are already in the pharmacy school, as well as members of my organization who were interviewing with me.

My interviewer and student interviewer were very responsive and friendly. One thing I really liked about my interviewer was that after he asked me a question, he allowed me to give my answer and then when I was finished, he would give me a little more insight into the real life applications of the questions. For example, for the ethical situations, I would give my response and then he would tell me "When you're a pharmacist in the future, you will encounter X, Y, and Z in this situation." It was helpful and interesting and certainly pertinent information.

Some people might not have enjoyed the slide show, but since I already go to UT, it really pumped me up! =D I actually googled the song that they used and have been listening to it on repeat. LOL.

Overall, I thought the whole interview process was awesome at UT. Everybody was really nice and enthusiastic about the pharmacy program. The slide show kind of caught me off guard though. Dr. Wilcox had just finished talking about the program and everything it had to offer then the lights come off and this rap/techno beat comes on and its some remix with a hundred different pop songs mashed together haha. I couldn't help but to laugh during the slide show especially when "Poker face" was playing. The video and pics were good but they might wanna change the music to a song without sexual innuendos. I thought it was hilarious but i could see how it would offend somebody :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have my interview with UT this Saturday, and I'm so nervous. UT is my first choice for pharmacy school. I've looked at all the iterview questions on the site, and I think I've got that covered. Still, I'm a little confused about the personal statement they will have? I've submitted so many essays I don't even remember which is which. Is it the one that was submitted at the apply texas site? I wonder if it will help that I already have a degree. Oh boy, wish me luck! =D

I have my interview with UT this Saturday, and I'm so nervous. UT is my first choice for pharmacy school. I've looked at all the iterview questions on the site, and I think I've got that covered. Still, I'm a little confused about the personal statement they will have? I've submitted so many essays I don't even remember which is which. Is it the one that was submitted at the apply texas site? I wonder if it will help that I already have a degree. Oh boy, wish me luck! =D

The personal statement that they will have is either, Why UT or Why Pharmacy, not the one you turned in thru ApplyTexas. Good luck.

If you get into a school besides UT, is it possible to transfer to the UT school of pharmacy from another pharmacy school? Or is that just unheard of? Just wondering.

If you get into a school besides UT, is it possible to transfer to the UT school of pharmacy from another pharmacy school? Or is that just unheard of? Just wondering.

I don't think its impossible, but I do not think they do it on a regular basis. There is an option for it and you need to contact the school directly, but I don't think its a very common occurrence.

Currently enrolled in another Pharm.D. program?
If you are enrolled in a Pharm.D. program at another School of Pharmacy and are interested in transferring and completing your studies at UT Austin, you should not use this process to apply to the Pharm.D program. Please contact the College of Pharmacy at 512-471-4425 or by e-mail for assistance

^From the UT admissions page.

hey guys
my interview for UT CoP is this saturday and i'm pretty nervous :s
what kind of questions do they ask? should i take something else, like a resume or something, with me to the interview? because iirc they only have my two essays

To Tweeklulz, I am joining you on Saturday for the interview. :) Since I haven't had the interview yet, I don't have a definite list of questions, but I recommend that you check out the Interview Feedback of this site. It has tons of questions posted by previous interviewees. In addition to that, there are many input on their experiences as well.

I believe the interviewees will have both your essays ahead of time and will be drawing their questions from them. I am nervous myself, I have a boatload of exams coming this week so I am worried about having enough time to prepare.

Hopefully the interview will go well, good luck to you!

Sorry for the double post. After reading last year's thread, I have a couple of questions that I would like some clarification. Your answers are greatly appreciated.

1) Can you submit more than 2 recommendations?
-I only asked my college adviser and my research professor to write recommendations for me. For the most part, I thought I couldn't submit more than two since it's online and the system bars me from submitting more than the allotted number. And for some reason, my eyes chose to ignore, "pharmacist's recommendations are strongly encouraged" blurp from the website. I should have asked my pharmacist to send in one.

2) Will the interviewers have access to my resumes as well?
-I know that many others have stated that interviewers have my Why UT? and Personal Statement essays, but for some reason last year's thread made me think they will the resumes as well.

I want to thank all those took the time to answer my questions. I know I have lots of questions and sometimes I bombard SDN'ers inbox with 'em too; I want to express my sincere gratitude for those who have helped me get through this arduous admissions process.

Sorry for the double post. After reading last year's thread, I have a couple of questions that I would like some clarification. Your answers are greatly appreciated.

-I only asked my college adviser and my research professor to write recommendations for me. For the most part, I thought I couldn't submit more than two since it's online and the system bars me from submitting more than the allotted number. And for some reason, my eyes chose to ignore, "pharmacist's recommendations are strongly encouraged" blurp from the website. I should have asked my pharmacist to send in one.

-I know that many others have stated that interviewers have my Why UT? and Personal Statement essays, but for some reason last year's thread made me think they will the resumes as well.

I want to thank all those took the time to answer my questions. I know I have lots of questions and sometimes I bombard SDN'ers inbox with 'em too; I want to express my sincere gratitude for those who have helped me get through this arduous admissions process.

They only have your two essays, not your resume. As far as I know you aren't allowed to submit more than 2 LOR, and not having one from a pharmacist will affect your application.

It will affect my application in a positive way??? Yes Yes?? Lol, what's done is done. I guess I should have read the website in greater detail.

I had my interview with UT last Saturday, and they didn't have my resume. Really, I didn't even see that they had my essays either. They didn't ask me any questions from my essays or application. They only personal type of question they asked was "tell me about yourself". All I really saw that they had was a packet of questions that they were taking notes in.

The interviewers will have access to your two essays only, not your resume, grades, PCAT, etc. This is so the interviewers comments will be based solely on the interview responses without being biased with other information. Some interviewers do not draw questions from your essays while some do. Just depends on the interviewer.

I do not know if it is set up differently, but when I applied in 2007, I was able to submit 3 LORs, even though they only asked for 2. None of my LORs were from a pharmacist (I did not have pharmacy experience, but that is rare for the applicant pool).

Hope this helps and good luck!

I applied this year and I was able to submit more than thwo recommendations. I spoke to Dr. Wilcox before I applied and he basically told me, from my resume, that he expected to get recommendations from three individuals; a pharmacist from where I volunteered, and two of my former employers.

After you submit two names in the online system, you can go back to that same page and add more people. However, if you submit more than two recommendations, you must notify Dr. Wilcox, or else they will not know to look for more than two. I just e-mailed him to let him know that I had submitted more than two.

As for the interview, they only had my essays. They mentioned a few things that I had in my resume but only because I had mentioned them in one of my essays. However, they didn't really ask me questions about my personal statements.

does anyone know when decisions will be sent out?

I've heard that it would be "the end of march" and I've heard that it would be "sometime in march" but I'm not sure.

I guess what I'm asking is: will they send out decisions before or after spring break? And will they all be sent out on the same day?

thanks guys!

i think what they said at my interview is that they will accept some before spring break, and some at the end of march. they have two big meetings i think. also, im pretty sure they let you know before spring break if your decision is being put off until later in march. i feel like i have been waiting foreevverr ha i can't wait until march! :scared:

Thanks MB41!

I know exactly what you mean about the wait. It's driving me crazy!

I was checking the e-mail and the main site (http://www.utexas.edu/pharmacy/admissions/newinterview.html) and no where does it say we have to complete a written essay. Is this true?

Also on a side note, I looked at the statistics website and looked at the PCAT section and I don't see stats for the biology section. Just wanting to point that out. I guess I've been spending too much time on the site lol.

I was checking the e-mail and the main site (http://www.utexas.edu/pharmacy/admissions/newinterview.html) and no where does it say we have to complete a written essay. Is this true?

Also on a side note, I looked at the statistics website and looked at the PCAT section and I don't see stats for the biology section. Just wanting to point that out. I guess I've been spending too much time on the site lol.

Do you mean writing an essay onsite during the interview day? They did away with that a few years ago.

Had my interview today! It was nice meeting all of you! :):xf::thumbup:

I would have to say UT's interview is very relaxing. My interviewers were awesome and the students who led the tour were very personal! I fell in love with the campus when I took a personal tour. I am praying more than ever that I got in. And I love that they will send us their decisions by the end of march, no more waiting until summer. *Fingers crossed with lots of prayers*

In case if anyone is curious, UT admissions committee will be meeting two dates within March. They will meet on March 11th and March 26th, expect acceptances and *you know what* around those dates. I hope my dates are correct, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Best of Luck for everyone!

Thanks Raney!

Do you know if they said they're sending out two lists or are they waiting until the last meeting to send them all together?

thanks for the info!

From my interpretation, I believe they will send out two lists. Since there are about 250 students who were interviewed, I doubt they'll be able to finish deciding on those who are accepted in one sitting.

out of curiosity, were any of you in the 1:30 to 3:00 group?
it was a pleasure meeting you all, and the pharmacy students who were there definitely helped with the anxiety :D

I worked a weekend at CVS with a pharmacist who graduated from UT and his son is in UT COP right now. I asked him the same thing and he said it's possible, but he's never heard of anyone doing it because you'll be pretty much taking your whole first year over again since classes probably won't transfer over.

Has anyone heard anything yet?!! I really hope to find about before spring break!!:xf:

Has anyone heard anything yet?!! I really hope to find about before spring break!!:xf:

Nothing yet here. They said by the end of march, so not too much longer!

RaneyNi said that the admissions committee is meeting on March 11th and March 26th to discuss the applicants. So, I don't expect to hear anything until after one of those dates.

What I'm wondering is how they are going to evaluate the applicants. I am assuming that they'll be looking primarily at the applicants who have had interviews, since the interview period is pretty much over. Will they go over applicants based on the time they did their interview? Or will they review based on the quality of the applicant; as in stronger applicants are decided on early on, and then others are debated on for the rest of the spots.

I know that they present an applicant to the committee, and then they vote yes or no for the applicant; I'm just wondering how they decide the order of reviewing and voting on applicants.

Last edited:
on my interview day, some bigwig came in to speak with us after the video and student panel. he told us that the review order of applicants would be based on a score calculated from the strength of every component of an application plus the interview. those with the highest score would be reviewed first and would thus have a slightly better chance of admission seeing as more spots would be available at the start.

hey guys...are Texas schools hard to to get into, or some are more diffifult than others?

on my interview day, some bigwig came in to speak with us after the video and student panel. he told us that the review order of applicants would be based on a score calculated from the strength of every component of an application plus the interview. those with the highest score would be reviewed first and would thus have a slightly better chance of admission seeing as more spots would be available at the start.

Thanks! No one brought it up at my interview session.

And that "bigwig" was probably Dr. Wilcox, who is the Assistant Dean of Admissions at the College of Pharmacy. He's actually really helpful, for people who have questions about pharmacy school.

So, for all of you who interviewed and are waiting on admissions decisions, I heard while I was helping out at the College of Pharmacy today that all the acceptances will come out at once. Even if your application is reviewed in the first or second session, everyone will find out at the same time. Someone I know that applied this year spoke with Dr. Wilcox, and that is what he told her.

Darn, I was hoping to find out before Spring Break so I can have an enjoyable one.

That is not good news. I already had my countdown to possibly finding out thursday going :thumbdown:. I'm hoping that maybe somehow that person misunderstood since everyone else was told differently before.

hey guys...are Texas schools hard to to get into, or some are more diffifult than others?

The biggest factor is whether you're out-of-state or not.

Texas A&M received 518 applications for 87 seats last year.
UT received 539 applications and enrolled 125 students last year

I couldn't find the data for UH and UIW, but I did notice something odd about the UT data. They have statistics for all of the PCAT subscores EXCEPT bio. Hmm... ;)

http://www.utexas.edu/pharmacy/admissions/admissionsfall09.pdf

That is not good news. I already had my countdown to possibly finding out thursday going :thumbdown:. I'm hoping that maybe somehow that person misunderstood since everyone else was told differently before.
Same here. I guess we'll find out the true answer this week. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out on this thread starting on Thursday to see if anyone mentions hearing back from them.

Has anyone heard anything back yet?