US Atlantic Bridge 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you know the number of seats for 5/6 years?

I recall reading the 5 year programs (for students with some undergrad but no MCAT) have really limited spaces (like single digits) which is probably why NUIG rejected every one here from the 5 year program. Don't put me up on it though I just recall someone posting that.

Members don't see this ad.

I recall reading the 5 year programs (for students with some undergrad but no MCAT) have really limited spaces (like single digits) which is probably why NUIG rejected every one here from the 5 year program. Don't put me up on it though I just recall someone posting that.
Yeah I think I saw it somewhere too. NUIG is probably as hard as Trinity because of very limited seats. I'm just very curious about seats for 5/6 years in UCC UCD, cause its seems like not many people got rejected yet and are all on the waiting list

Last edited:
Its probably because there's only 5 years program at Trinity
so how does this work? does the A.B. choose for you which programs you're eligible for?
i have a BS degree, already took the MCAT, how do I know which schools i can check off on the application?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys! I've been watching this thread for a while. I'm thinking of applying next year to all the Canadian med schools and possibly to Irish schools for the 4 year program. Do you know if the new MCAT will be required for Irish schools by then? Also are there any pre-req courses such as physics and english required for Irish schools? Atlantic bridge doesn't seem to say anything about these pre-reqs, but maybe I've missed it. Also, what do you think the general competitiveness of admission is? I currently hold just above a 3.0 GPA, because I absolutely butchered my first year. My second year was around a 3.8 and my third year was a 3.9. I also have a 32 MCAT. Would my reinvention be considered?

Thanks!

so how does this work? does the A.B. choose for you which programs you're eligible for?
i have a BS degree, already took the MCAT, how do I know which schools i can check off on the application?

It will be better to email ABP to get the most accurate answer, since my stats are different from yours. Basically, after you ticked the desired schools and stats, ABP will tell you which school and which program will be available for you along with the application package.

hey guys! I've been watching this thread for a while. I'm thinking of applying next year to all the Canadian med schools and possibly to Irish schools for the 4 year program. Do you know if the new MCAT will be required for Irish schools by then? Also are there any pre-req courses such as physics and english required for Irish schools? Atlantic bridge doesn't seem to say anything about these pre-reqs, but maybe I've missed it. Also, what do you think the general competitiveness of admission is? I currently hold just above a 3.0 GPA, because I absolutely butchered my first year. My second year was around a 3.8 and my third year was a 3.9. I also have a 32 MCAT. Would my reinvention be considered?

Thanks!

I think Irish schools will most likely still take the old MCAT as well as the new one. I know some canadian schools will start transitioning to the new MCAT but I doubt any med schools will cut out the old MCAT for next year's applicants. But honestly, if you contact AB, they will give you the best reply to your questions. You will probably need to tell AB what courses you have taken and they will tell you what universities in Ireland you should apply to according to your pre-reqs. This year's admissions were quite tough, harder than the past few years due to the increase in applicants. TCD and NUIG were prob the hardest as TCD has a more well known rep and NUIG had only like single digit places for international students. The thing about Irish schools are that they look into each applicant separately, usually no cut off scores as they evaluate based on the individual alone. I think this is definitely a better system than Canadian/US schools cuz higher scores do not always get you the best docs. By the looks of it, your GPA is quite competitive. You shouldn't worry too much on your 1st year results as many schools weigh it lower (canadian and Irish) since they understand 1st year usually is a shock to many people. Your MCAT is surely no problem. So honestly, I would think you have a shot! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Also, for UCD's 5 year program, I recall them saying at their NYC open house event that they have very few spots because they tend to give them to only really special cases. I think they have more spots for the 6 year program

Yeah I think I saw it somewhere too. NUIG is probably as hard as Trinity because of very limited seats. I'm just very curious about seats for 5/6 years in UCC UCD, cause its seems like not many people got rejected yet and are all on the waiting list

I know in New York, UCD mentioned about two seats for the 5 year n 20 seats for the 4 year...

I think Irish schools will most likely still take the old MCAT as well as the new one. I know some canadian schools will start transitioning to the new MCAT but I doubt any med schools will cut out the old MCAT for next year's applicants. But honestly, if you contact AB, they will give you the best reply to your questions. You will probably need to tell AB what courses you have taken and they will tell you what universities in Ireland you should apply to according to your pre-reqs. This year's admissions were quite tough, harder than the past few years due to the increase in applicants. TCD and NUIG were prob the hardest as TCD has a more well known rep and NUIG had only like single digit places for international students. The thing about Irish schools are that they look into each applicant separately, usually no cut off scores as they evaluate based on the individual alone. I think this is definitely a better system than Canadian/US schools cuz higher scores do not always get you the best docs. By the looks of it, your GPA is quite competitive. You shouldn't worry too much on your 1st year results as many schools weigh it lower (canadian and Irish) since they understand 1st year usually is a shock to many people. Your MCAT is surely no problem. So honestly, I would think you have a shot! Good luck!

thanks for the encouraging words :)

Reactions: 1 user
Here's what I can't wrap my mind around: In Canada about 20% of IMGs match in both R1 and R2 every year, but every year from Ireland about 60-80% of graduates match back in Canada (if the documents referenced here are indeed fact). What explains this discrepancy? My thoughts are there are a lot of immigrant doctors who were physicians in their home countries that want to be physicians here in Canada too but are they really that noncompetitive?

Here's what I can't wrap my mind around: In Canada about 20% of IMGs match in both R1 and R2 every year, but every year from Ireland about 60-80% of graduates match back in Canada (if the documents referenced here are indeed fact). What explains this discrepancy? My thoughts are there are a lot of immigrant doctors who were physicians in their home countries that want to be physicians here in Canada too but are they really that noncompetitive?

Yes, its mainly because first of all theres a language barrier, second of all some don't score well on their exams particularly the NAC OSCE, PDs prefer CSAs mainly because they have Canadian culture, are young and easily trainable just like a CMG.

This is the unofficial word but its likely a good part of the reason why. They do still accept IMGs its just they tend to be very good.

Ok, so any one here have a study plan yet?

My plans are:
USMLE Step 1 after second year (summer)
MCCEE in November of third year
USMLE Step 2 CS and CK during spring of third year
OSCE NAC during September of the final year before applying for match.

I think I'm going to go bald during my third year haha.

Also, besides studying for the USMLE Step 1/MCCEE and taking part in school activities, does any one know what else there is to do during the first two years of med school? It seems awfully quiet.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how to get to Singapore for internship year?

Also, besides studying for the USMLE Step 1/MCCEE and taking part in school activities, does any one know what else there is to do during the first two years of med school? It seems awfully quiet.

Is this a real question?
I would imagine you would do what any student/young adult would do during their free time. hang out with friends, explore (in this case Ireland and/or Europe), relax, pursue hobbies, watch TV, read, go out etc.

Ok, so any one here have a study plan yet?

My plans are:
USMLE Step 1 after second year (summer)
MCCEE in November of third year
USMLE Step 2 CS and CK during spring of third year
OSCE NAC during September of the final year before applying for match.

I think I'm going to go bald during my third year haha.

Thats pretty much it.

Awesome, thank you! Also, do you happen to know if we are provided with any info on roommates when choosing a room, and if it's co ed? Thanks in advance ☺️

I just reserved my room – it turns out that you can also see what kind of students have already booked rooms in each apartment before you take a room (you can see how many male vs female and undergrads vs postgrads).

I just reserved my room – it turns out that you can also see what kind of students have already booked rooms in each apartment before you take a room (you can see how many male vs female and undergrads vs postgrads).
I just did as well! lol which apt are you in within our building? Somebody mentioned we count as undergrads but I though we would be postgrads .

I just did as well! lol which apt are you in within our building? Somebody mentioned we count as undergrads but I though we would be postgrads .

I'm in apartment 3! I wonder why some apartments only showed up as having 5 rooms.

I'm in apartment 3! I wonder why some apartments only showed up as having 5 rooms.
I'm in 7 :). I think it's because those are the only rooms left meaning the rest were booked out. Mine showed only 4 when i signed up since two were already taken. Each is only a 6 room suite I'm pretty sure.

I'm in 7 :). I think it's because those are the only rooms left meaning the rest were booked out. Mine showed only 4 when i signed up since two were already taken. Each is only a 6 room suite I'm pretty sure.

Cool! I thought I saw two appartments whose rooms available + occupants only equaled five, but maybe it was a mid-registration glitch or I was too sleep deprived and I was seeing things . . .

Anyone here pay tuition in full yet? I'm probably going to wait until last minute. Don't want interest to accumulate so quickly. I don't know about you guys but I feel a bit uneasy wiring off $50K+ (the most I've ever spent on something) lol.

Anyone here pay tuition in full yet? I'm probably going to wait until last minute. Don't want interest to accumulate so quickly. I don't know about you guys but I feel a bit uneasy wiring off $50K+ (the most I've ever spent on something) lol.

I'm American and am using FAFSA, the money will be given to the school directly in September and whatever is for personal costs etc will be wired to my account from the school...

Cool! I thought I saw two appartments whose rooms available + occupants only equaled five, but maybe it was a mid-registration glitch or I was too sleep deprived and I was seeing things . . .
Lol maybe you were right I'm not sure...I was wondering when we go to immigration and have to show the 3000 euro in a bank statement, does it have to be an American account or can it be from a different country? Cuz I would lose a good amount in currency exchange if it has to be USD in an American account only...

I'm American and am using FAFSA, the money will be given to the school directly in September and whatever is for personal costs etc will be wired to my account from the school...
Wow that's a lot more convenient and secure. UCC wants 36,000 Euros wired to them by August 1. I've only done wire transfers twice (for my tuition and residence deposits) and already I can tell that a lot of the bank employees aren't that familiar or comfortable with wire transfers. It would suck if there was an error and I lose money but I hope it doesn't happen.

I just met with the director of trinity's medical program and she told me they do not even take the MCAT into consideration which was interesting to find out

I just met with the director of trinity's medical program and she told me they do not even take the MCAT into consideration which was interesting to find out

Wow. That is interesting. So basically, having a bad MCAT is not looked at any worse than having no MCAT. What is the biggest factor then? I still haven't heard anything yet from them.

Wow that's a lot more convenient and secure. UCC wants 36,000 Euros wired to them by August 1. I've only done wire transfers twice (for my tuition and residence deposits) and already I can tell that a lot of the bank employees aren't that familiar or comfortable with wire transfers. It would suck if there was an error and I lose money but I hope it doesn't happen.

Wow, I understand how you feel. I would ask that there be some sort of assurance in writing for it. Is that possible to do?

Trinity takes in a lot of 6 years or 5 years mainly from what I've seen? So maybe it's because of that. The only schools to be keen on MCAT are the ones where you are applying for a 4 year GEM

Anyone know what a competitive score on the new MCAT is? I took my first Princeton Review practice test and don't really know what to make of my score.

Any experts who know about economy and currency on here?
I only have to pay about 25,000 euros before September. I know the Europe economy is going down due to Greece so when would be the best time to pay to get the best bang for my Canadian dollars. I think right now 1.3$ canadian=1 euro.

Any experts who know about economy and currency on here?
I only have to pay about 25,000 euros before September. I know the Europe economy is going down due to Greece so when would be the best time to pay to get the best bang for my Canadian dollars. I think right now 1.3$ canadian=1 euro.

If anyone could predict we would not be in medical school. I honestly think now is a good time, I think Greece will stay in the Euro things are historically low I wouldn't feel bad about switching now. If you think about it even with the weak Canadian dollar if the euro is 1.3 to 1 that is amazing.

If anyone could predict we would not be in medical school. I honestly think now is a good time, I think Greece will stay in the Euro things are historically low I wouldn't feel bad about switching now. If you think about it even with the weak Canadian dollar if the euro is 1.3 to 1 that is amazing.
its closer to 1.40 actually

Anyone look at airfare yet? YYZ to DUB for $1000 on average now. Grrr airline gouging at its finest I can go to Beijing with that much. :bang:

Anyone look at airfare yet? YYZ to DUB for $1000 on average now. Grrr airline gouging at its finest I can go to Beijing with that much. :bang:

Be happy about the whole Greece debacle, you are saving loads with that. Of course, you also have to hope that oil goes up again.

Bought my ticket last week...flying out August 26 for 850 dollars....

Sign up for flight deals with different airlines. 2 weeks ago Yyz -> dub was ~$600 round trip with tax for air canada. It might not serve you now because you have a strict time frame, but it might help you with the return next summer. Also have you checked with Red Tag, Expedia, etc? They should have their Europe sales coming soonish.

does ucc have pay to study link under their fees. I would contact them, as it reduces costs, wire fees and is a better rate

Sign up for flight deals with different airlines. 2 weeks ago Yyz -> dub was ~$600 round trip with tax for air canada. It might not serve you now because you have a strict time frame, but it might help you with the return next summer. Also have you checked with Red Tag, Expedia, etc? They should have their Europe sales coming soonish.
flight hub also has a sale right now, for Canada day.. and they have good deals most of the time

Just got accepted into the 4 year GEM program at UCD !!!!

Reactions: 7 users
congrats! maybe some of us will hear back soon. Care to share your stats?

Thats brutal. My dad is great at finding deals so I got a ticket for 600$-700$. Also landed some scholarships at my lab and from my dad's office so feeling pretty pumped and excited.

How's everyone feeling? Pretty excited to start my dental program and become a fully qualified dentist in both Europe in Canada in 5 years, not sure how often med and dent students get to interact but I'm sure we will see each other around either in res or on campus.

I'm going to TCD btw hope to see some of you guys there soon !

Nice! Yeah dental students will probably have it easier than medical students studying abroad haha we have to worry about securing a residency back in North America in 4 years but you just have to write the licensing exam and all's done.

Hey guys!

I want to apply to Irish Medical Schools in the upcoming 2015-2016 application cycle and I have a few questions.

1. Why type of clinical experience do you recommend? Does it have to be at a hospital?

2. I just finished my second year of undergrad. My IB score was 41/45 and my current cGPA is 3.1. I am writing the new MCAT this summer and I am planning to apply with my MCAT scores. I am considering 4yr and 5yr programs. Based on my scores, what are my chances of getting accepted into a 4/5 year program? Also, do admission committees consider IB marks although I am applying as an undergraduate student?

3. Is it beneficial to have research experience? I am planning to do a thesis in my fourth year. Since I am applying during my third year, I might not have any type of research experience.

4. I read on the Atlantic Bridge website that there isn't a GPA/MCAT cutoff. What type of GPA and MCAT scores would make my application competitive?

Any feedback would be great!!

Thank you!! :)