US Atlantic Bridge 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gillyp

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am interested in the applying for the 4 year AB programs and I just wanted to know what would be competitive stats for applying.
My GPA is a 3.2. I haven't taken the MCAT but I am currently studying for it.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty competitive I guess. People with 3.5 and 29 MCAT aren't getting in, so my guess is with a 3.2 you'll probably want something over 31. Not an expert though, but Ireland is generally more competitive than Australia or the Caribbean.

Pretty competitive I guess. People with 3.5 and 29 MCAT aren't getting in, so my guess is with a 3.2 you'll probably want something over 31. Not an expert though, but Ireland is generally more competitive than Australia or the Caribbean.

Completely correct. I had a 3.5 and sGPA of 3.7 and got rejected from 5 year programs while having completed a bachelors in 2008. I did get accepted into an Australian school however.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys. Hopefully my mcat goes well cause I really want to get into one of these Irish schools

@Steel hey which australian school did you apply at and what were your stats if you don't mind sharing?

Hello,

I am interested in the applying for the 4 year AB programs and I just wanted to know what would be competitive stats for applying.
Thanks
Depends on lots of factors. I got a 3.2 gpa from an american university and a 25 mcat. However I also did clinical research for a year at a prestigious hospital and had a part in a publication. Got accepted to University of Limerick in May!

Yeah, I had a 3.5 Gpa and 3.3 Gpa in my master's degree and a 31 MCAT and the only university i got into was RCSI in april. I did have a fair bit of volunteering and community projects. But honestly...I really got no idea why that one uni took me and the others didnt, and vice versa. If anyone has an idea, let me know! lol

Is the application to start Sept 2015 ready yet? I sent for it earlier in the summer and they wrote me an e-mail saying check back later, it's not ready yet. I don't know how long to wait...

Hi guys, just wanna know what my chances are if at all,

cGPA = 3.48-3.5/ last two years 3.7
MCAT: 24 - PS 10 VR 6 and BS 8

Strong and diverse extracurriculars, awards for community contribution/academic, etc. Any shot at all?

Hi guys, just wanna know what my chances are if at all,

cGPA = 3.48-3.5/ last two years 3.7
MCAT: 24 - PS 10 VR 6 and BS 8

Strong and diverse extracurriculars, awards for community contribution/academic, etc. Any shot at all?

Worth an application but if you want to better your chances apply to Australia or the Caribbean. I don't know if Ireland breaks down the scores but a VR 6 may hurt you.

Do they have pre-req requirements for Canadian applicants?

Is the application to start Sept 2015 ready yet? I sent for it earlier in the summer and they wrote me an e-mail saying check back later, it's not ready yet. I don't know how long to wait...

Yup, the application form is available.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

Thanks

I'm in 2nd year at the University of Limerick - I had a 29 MCAT and 3.2 GPA (chem eng), and I'm in. No clinical research, heck - not even a medsci background - and I worked in an industry not even related to medicine, but my application and personal statement was strong enough to get me an interview. And here I am.

It really all depends. UL looks at you a bit more holistically (which makes sense, given the PBL style of the course), which was good for me. They take into consideration every part of your application and will weight it accordingly, which can work in your favour. Other schools are more traditionally cut / dry in Ireland, and have minimum cutoffs similar to Canada, so keep that in mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in 2nd year at the University of Limerick - I had a 29 MCAT and 3.2 GPA (chem eng), and I'm in. No clinical research, heck - not even a medsci background - and I worked in an industry not even related to medicine, but my application and personal statement was strong enough to get me an interview. And here I am.

It really all depends. UL looks at you a bit more holistically (which makes sense, given the PBL style of the course), which was good for me. They take into consideration every part of your application and will weight it accordingly, which can work in your favour. Other schools are more traditionally cut / dry in Ireland, and have minimum cutoffs similar to Canada, so keep that in mind.

Should applying to medical school in Ireland be a last resort for a U.S. student aspiring to become an MD? I am leaning towards a field like psychiatry and as I get older the less patient I am getting with waiting and applying for another U.S. MD or DO cycle. My question is would I have any trouble matching to a U.S. psychiatry residency if I were to attend school in Ireland? I just can't take the risk with a loans and everything without knowing that I am basically guaranteed a residency assuming that I have decent step 1 scores etc.

Should applying to medical school in Ireland be a last resort for a U.S. student aspiring to become an MD? I am leaning towards a field like psychiatry and as I get older the less patient I am getting with waiting and applying for another U.S. MD or DO cycle. My question is would I have any trouble matching to a U.S. psychiatry residency if I were to attend school in Ireland? I just can't take the risk with a loans and everything without knowing that I am basically guaranteed a residency assuming that I have decent step 1 scores etc.

You are basically guaranteed a residency in psych if you have decent Step scores (average so like 227 for step 1 and 237 for step 2 ck) are a US citizen and graduate from an Irish school. You can't be too picky about location unless your steps are higher though.

You are basically guaranteed a residency in psych if you have decent Step scores (average so like 227 for step 1 and 237 for step 2 ck) are a US citizen and graduate from an Irish school. You can't be too picky about location unless your steps are higher though.

Really that high? I'm naive to the whole step 1 and 2 process but I was under the impression that a step 1 score of 240+ will give you a good shot at Dermatology and Radiology. Isn't 227 rather high? I was thinking more or less around 210 especially since the field has such a high demand and low supply on physicians (at least that is what one doctor told me).

Really that high? I'm naive to the whole step 1 and 2 process but I was under the impression that a step 1 score of 240+ will give you a good shot at Dermatology and Radiology. Isn't 227 rather high? I was thinking more or less around 210 especially since the field has such a high demand and low supply on physicians (at least that is what one doctor told me).

You were asking for a "guaranteed chance". a 210 might get you a spot, its probably even, but if you want a guaranteed spot you do need to score at least the US average. Keep in mind that going to Ireland hurts you, as you are an IMG now with non-US training. So you will need to do better.

If you look at the recent Step 1 scores to specialties, you'll see that 220 is pretty much the minimum you should be aiming for, even for the "lower" specialties like family medicine.

If you look at the recent Step 1 scores to specialties, you'll see that 220 is pretty much the minimum you should be aiming for, even for the "lower" specialties like family medicine.

You were asking for a "guaranteed chance". a 210 might get you a spot, its probably even, but if you want a guaranteed spot you do need to score at least the US average. Keep in mind that going to Ireland hurts you, as you are an IMG now with non-US training. So you will need to do better.

I really appreciate your guys input. If you were me and had a crap MCAT score mostly because of verbal reasoning which I am retaking in January and a pretty good overall gpa, cGPA 3.81, sGPA 3.73 and a double major in psychology and biology would you just wait for another cycle to apply US MD and apply to DO schools again? Part of me likes the idea of the 5 year programs in Ireland for couple of reasons but for one I could possibly start next fall and I have some personal reasons why I'd like to start as soon as possible.

step1.jpg

http://www.ecfmg.org/resources/NRMP...atch-International-Medical-Graduates-2014.pdf

Idk if this is a good source but this is what I found.

Wow, psych is even less competitive than I thought. Well, i think if you want to start go for it. Honestly, if you are going for something like psych and you aren't too picky about residency you will most likely match somewhere.

Don't forget though that its 5 years in Ireland. If you get in next year for a US DO or MD program its 4 years which means you finish at the exact same time. It may just be worth a shot to wait a year. Identify why you haven't been doing well on the verbal, maybe its something you can fix.

Make sure you want to live in Ireland though. You are spending the next 5 years there, it won't be all work, you need to be able to enjoy yourself in order to survive.

Yeah, I don't mean to pile on or anything but I'm in a 4 year program in RCSI. It's kinda similar to the NA system i.e. 2 years class and 2 years clinical.

Oh wait sorry, for some reason i thought this person was applying to the 5 year programs only. Yes there are 4 year programs.

Does anyone know which Irish medical school is the best option for US citizens that want to do US residencies? It looks like more Canadians than Americans attend Irish medical schools.

Last edited:
I'll be applying through the Atlantic Bridge to the following for entry in Fall 2015:

1. Trinity College Dublin
2. University College Cork
3. University College Dublin
4. The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland

I've heard mixed things about the residency merger affecting IMGs, but since I want to go into psychiatry, I'm not so sure how much I'll have to worry.

Does anyone know which of these programs is the best option for US citizens that want to do US residencies?

All are good programs, I'm not too familiar with schedule but the biggest thing will be how much time a university gives you off for electives and what time they give you off. Also, having more connections to US schools is better, UCD, RCSI and TCD are pretty good with that. Also better is if a university has its rotation in psych before your elective time period so you can be more impressive on your elective.

If a university also has help with USMLE and guidance on that issue/tutorial sessions its a positive.

All are good programs, I'm not too familiar with schedule but the biggest thing will be how much time a university gives you off for electives and what time they give you off. Also, having more connections to US schools is better, UCD, RCSI and TCD are pretty good with that. Also better is if a university has its rotation in psych before your elective time period so you can be more impressive on your elective.

If a university also has help with USMLE and guidance on that issue/tutorial sessions its a positive.

Thanks for the reply. I'll look into the time we have off for electives at schools I hear back from, as well as if elective rotations in specialties I'm considering occur prior.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I'll look into the time we have off for electives at schools I hear back from, as well as if psych rotations occur prior.

I have a few DO interviews and 1 allopathic II here in the US, but my PI said that I should apply to schools in Ireland before deciding which path to take. He's an emeritus professor at Harvard Medical School, though, so that probably explains a thing or two.

Yeah, good idea.

I'm from: California
My country of citizenship is: United States
Currently studying: Biochemistry (B.S., 2013); Pharmacology (M.S., 2015 conferral)
At this University: UCLA (B.S.); UC Davis (M.S.)
My GPA is: 3.47 undergraduate, 3.78 graduate
My MCAT Scores were: 30R (12P, 8V, 10B, R)
ECs: >6 years employed/volunteering in patient care, 3 years of medical (pharmacology, molecular biology, toxicology) and non-medical (chemistry and physics) undergraduate and graduate research, collegiate and non-collegiate athletics, tutoring/advising, various leadership roles, non-medical work experience, nursing coursework and clinical rotations, etc.

I applied to: It's complicated since I have a pet*
I was accepted at:
I was waitlisted at:
I was rejected from:
Notes: I have acceptances to osteopathic schools and have/had 3 US MD interviews (1 waitlist, 1 "final pool" = waitlist, 1 haven't yet attended at good schools); if I stay on an MD waitlist and/or get another, I'll keep my Atlantic Bridge application open. Basically, I would prefer attending an Irish medical school over some US schools.

*I'm talking to a pet-relocation service about the possibility of moving to Cork or Galway, but it seems that anywhere outside of Dublin would mean extra stress on my pet. Feel free to send me a message if you'd like to know more about moving to Ireland and traveling back and forth between the US/Canada-Ireland with a pet for elective rotations.

Last edited:
LAtoDavis, I'm in a similar boat as you.

I graduated from a top five university, I am a research associate at a top 20 med school right now, 3.3sGPA/3.5cGPA, 34 on MCAT, a lot of research and volunteer stuff, and not much healthcare volunteer experience (just 100 hours of shadowing). If I stay in the US, I'm going to do the Tufts or BU smp, so going to Ireland would end up being cheaper and I would finish 1-2 years earlier. It's always been a dream of mine to spend some time living abroad (speak 6 languages to varying proficiency). Would it be crazy to just apply to schools in Ireland and run with it?

@Helse23 @LAtoDavis

I think like you but the thing that is stopping me from going to Ireland is the $300k USD in debt I would incur. How are you planning to fund all of this? Sorry if the question is intrusive. I'm enthusiastic about a permanently moving and continuing my career in Ireland/UK. But I don't want to go crazy into debt either. Did you know that loans over 20 years more than double?! It's nuts.

I have UK citizenship and would likely not aim to participate in the US match because it's frankly a huge long shot these days. But UK and Irish Drs get a 2300 per month take home, it takes up to 9 years to be making 8k net per month, it costs about 900 euros to rent a decent place and there would be $1400 per month loan payments for 25 years. I think the only way to feasibly pay of US fed loans while making a career abroad would be to finish school and foundation years, and locum in Darwin, Australia (they have enough drs now so this is a long shot), NZ, HK or the middle east. As a female I'm not going to the middle east, realistically.
How do you guys and gals do it? :)

@Helse23 and @puppylatte

I agree with what both of you are saying, which is good and bad. And Helse, I think that your stats are great. Your GPA is a bit low, but that's to be expected coming from an ivy. Just fyi, I went to a national premed conference (the UC Davis AMSA event, allegedly the largest premed conference in the world) this weekend and talked to a lot of admissions reps... most of them don't have any sympathy for you unless you're URM, received government assistance, are from an impoverished rural area, etc etc. Your MCAT is a lot better than mine, though, and you probably went to a better school, so if I were you I'd apply to allopathic US schools anyways. I really think you stand a great chance at a US MD school, but if you're considering Ireland, there's nothing wrong with it. Irish medical schools are as good as US MD schools, IMO, and it's a great experience, like you're saying.

And puppylatte, you make great points about the financial burdens of going abroad for medical school. If it helps you, my plan is to do rural primary care (or less-rural anesthesiology) and apply for loan forgiveness programs (or just make more money) that pay as much as 50 thousand per year directly to your loan originator. This doesn't affect your salary, either. The trade off is that you have to work in a rural area. But, that's what I was planning to do, anyways, so I don't really care and am happy to do it. I don't know anything about UK loan forgiveness, but several of the state loan forgiveness programs sponsor J1 visas. In fact, there are tons of FMGs at the residencies I've been talking to. Check out the AAMC website listing all loan forgiveness programs if you want:
https://services.aamc.org/fed_loan_...1&CFTOKEN=2D030AC6-DB69-F722-80BE5FE3ECAB7200

Then check out residencies in states with loan forgiveness:
https://www.residencyplace.com/PathFinder/ProgramList.aspx

You'd have to do family practice, psychiatry, internal medicine, general surgery, or ob gyn, but these programs exist and could offset not matching a higher paying specialty by compromising for working in rural Vermont, Iowa, Oregon, etc, which isn't a compromise at all, IMO. I don't want to sound too preachy, but I've been researching this stuff for a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
does your ability to self finance your tuition increase ur chances of acceptance

During my whole application process they asked one time whether or not I will be able to pay the tuition and to check a box from where the money is coming from. Other than that it didn't come up once. I'm going to RCSI btw

does your ability to self finance your tuition increase ur chances of acceptance

I believe you need to be able to provide evidence that you can fund your tuition before being able to enroll. Because everyone will be self-funded, there isn't any advantage to being so.

I believe you need to be able to provide evidence that you can fund your tuition before being able to enroll. Because everyone will be self-funded, there isn't any advantage to being so.
Not quite, you do have to put down a very hefty deposit or else your spot is given to someone else though. (like €6500)

Not quite, you do have to put down a very hefty deposit or else your spot is given to someone else though. (like €6500)

I see that you have to put down a deposit, but you don't have to prove you have the loans to fund your education? Either way, i think its still something where your ability to self-fund doesn't make a difference to your application. Everyone is assumed or required to prove they can pay.

I see that you have to put down a deposit, but you don't have to prove you have the loans to fund your education? Either way, i think its still something where your ability to self-fund doesn't make a difference to your application. Everyone is assumed or required to prove they can pay.
Yeah, and the deposit is only demanded after you've been accepted. Up until then it was simply a matter of mentioning to them that you have some idea where you might get the money and they just wanted a vague answer like "loans & savings" or "loans only" etc. I did hear through the grape vine that it came up during someone's interview but that they simply asked again if they had given any thought as to where the money was going to come from, but that's it. So in conclusion I'd say your ability to pay doesn't really come into consideration at all.

To get into Ireland initially, I had to prove that I had paid my tuition up front (along with proof of being able to support myself).

And to get your Garda card (student immigration card), you have to prove you've done the same.

So it might not come up now as proof, but you do need to have it done before you even enter Ireland. It's worth thinking about now because it is a substantial amount of money.

@puppylatte - I'm also funding with line of credit only. I have enough for interest payments + float upon graduation (limited) but it's all LOC. Most of my classmates are the same. there are some lucky ones who have it paid for! :)

To get into Ireland initially, I had to prove that I had paid my tuition up front (along with proof of being able to support myself).

And to get your Garda card (student immigration card), you have to prove you've done the same.

So it might not come up now as proof, but you do need to have it done before you even enter Ireland. It's worth thinking about now because it is a substantial amount of money.

@puppylatte - I'm also funding with line of credit only. I have enough for interest payments + float upon graduation (limited) but it's all LOC. Most of my classmates are the same. there are some lucky ones who have it paid for! :)

That might be it, I was required to prove my ability to fund my tuition as well, might have been during the immigration part but either way you will need to prove your funds.

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to know my chances of getting in and I had a few questions.

My country of citizenship is: Canada
Studied: Physiology and Biological Psychology
My GPA: ~3.2 (I messed up 1 year and it pulled my GPA down :( so my chances in a Canadian school or American school are slim to none sadly )
My MCAT Score: 33
ECs: I have volunteered at several places (related to the medical field and not), traveled to 2 different countries to shadow doctors (because you can't in Canada...), volunteered at hospitals in Canada, been the president/ vice-president of a couple student societies on campus, and worked in a research lab for a few years
I'm applying to: Limerick, UCD, Trinity and UCC
I'd prefer: UCD or Trinity

What I'm wondering is whether people who graduate from schools in Ireland have problems getting residency in Canada or the states. I'm worried about graduating from a med school in Ireland and then not being able to get residency! Also I'm wondering if Irish med schools prepare you well for the USMLE... I know these are worried that literally every IMG has but I just want to hear the opinion of someone that's gone through this or is currently going through it.

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to know my chances of getting in and I had a few questions.

My country of citizenship is: Canada
Studied: Physiology and Biological Psychology
My GPA: ~3.2 (I messed up 1 year and it pulled my GPA down :( so my chances in a Canadian school or American school are slim to none sadly )
My MCAT Score: 33
ECs: I have volunteered at several places (related to the medical field and not), traveled to 2 different countries to shadow doctors (because you can't in Canada...), volunteered at hospitals in Canada, been the president/ vice-president of a couple student societies on campus, and worked in a research lab for a few years
I'm applying to: Limerick, UCD, Trinity and UCC
I'd prefer: UCD or Trinity

What I'm wondering is whether people who graduate from schools in Ireland have problems getting residency in Canada or the states. I'm worried about graduating from a med school in Ireland and then not being able to get residency! Also I'm wondering if Irish med schools prepare you well for the USMLE... I know these are worried that literally every IMG has but I just want to hear the opinion of someone that's gone through this or is currently going through it.

Hey, you didnt specify which program you were applying for but Im gonna assume its the 4 Year GEP ? In terms of your academics, your MCAT is on par with most applicants however your GPA will hurt your application. Was there a specific reason why you performed poorly? If so, its worth mentioning on the application. If not, I'd try to pull up that score if you can retake any courses you performed poorly in. Best of luck!

Actually a 33 MCAT is above average for Irish schools so I think you have a chance for sure. Its worth applying.

Hey guys,

I was wondering when is the earliest MCAT that they accept? I took it in August 2012 and got a 33R (13-10-10) and I am afraid that it might be too old. I took it this year (just came out yesterday) and got 33 again (11-9-13). I sent in my old scores.

Also, do I have a shot at UCC Cork (the one I applied to) with a 3.56 GPA, one year of hospital volunteering, two undergraduate research projects with one poster presentation at a symposium, and volunteered abroad at a clinic in Latin America?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hello,

Thanks

3.2 in Chem E >> 3.2 in Sociology etc.

MD > DO > FMG

Hey guys,

I was wondering when is the earliest MCAT that they accept? I took it in August 2012 and got a 33R (13-10-10) and I am afraid that it might be too old. I took it this year (just came out yesterday) and got 33 again (11-9-13). I sent in my old scores.

Also, do I have a shot at UCC Cork (the one I applied to) with a 3.56 GPA, one year of hospital volunteering, two undergraduate research projects with one poster presentation at a symposium, and volunteered abroad at a clinic in Latin America?

Thanks.

You definitely have a shot. I would say that you are pretty competitive especially if you applied to more than one school.

I have 96 % grade 10 average, 93% grade 11, and 92% grade 12 in a canadian high school. I have 750+ in SAT 2 for all my biology, chemistry, physics, and math. I have 5 on my AP tests for chemistry, biology, physics, and math. What are my chances at an Irish medical school if my extra curriculars are ok

Actually a 33 MCAT is above average for Irish schools so I think you have a chance for sure. Its worth applying.

I wonder what international Irish medical school matriculants average MCAT score is?

Here are a few MCAT averages:
1. US allopathic schools = 31.4
https://www.aamc.org/download/321494/data/2013factstable17.pdf
2. US osteopathic schools = 26.5
(file)
3. The University of Queensland-Ochsner (MD) = 27.9
http://www.mededpath.org/our_students.html
4. RCSI (in 2008) = 29
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...list-or-rejection.268232/page-9#post-10532340

Attachments

• Osteopathic Medical Schools Statistics (Matching, etc).xls
    1.3 MB · Views: 84
Last edited: