US Atlantic Bridge 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
did you apply for the 5/6 or GEM?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I contacted AB, they basically told me that first round for UCC and UCD are over and my "file is on reserve"
the way they phrased it didnt sound too optimistic to me :/

I contacted AB, they basically told me that first round for UCC and UCD are over and my "file is on reserve"
the way they phrased it didnt sound too optimistic to me :/

5/6 years applicant here but AB told me "your file remains open for consideration". I don't know if the phrase difference means anything.

Really? When I spoke to them about 2 weeks ago they told me that most of the schools had already sent second round offers and were now just sending out small numbers on a rolling basis. Who did you speak to?

So for the GEM programs at UCC and UCD the decisions have been made and its pretty much over?

5/6 years applicant here but AB told me "your file remains open for consideration". I don't know if the phrase difference means anything.
I applied for GEM. I really hope the file being on reserve means there is still a chance

I just emailed AB and they told me that UCC has only released one round of offers and UCD has released two rounds and that my file remains open for consideration. ( I applied to GEM) I wish they didn't drag it on for so long though - it's so frustrating for us! haha

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So for the GEM programs at UCC and UCD the decisions have been made and its pretty much over?
They made it sound like for the GEM programs at most schools its sort of past the round stage and its more like they're sending out acceptances on an ongoing basis. I tried to ask them if all the spots have been filled and the only way to get an offer now is if someone rescinds one, they didn't really give me a straight answer though, they just kept saying its possible to get accepted until August.

I think the schools keep a longer waiting list cause some people pay their deposits for multiple schools and will withdraw a month or two before the semester starts.

I think the schools keep a longer waiting list cause some people pay their deposits for multiple schools and will withdraw a month or two before the semester starts.
Really? Why would someone pay the deposit for multiple schools? I assumed it was because some people find out late in the cycle they have been accepted to schools in North America.

I think the main rounds are over and acceptances come out if people drop out or rescind their offers.

Its the same with Canada, the Dean of Admissions at McMaster once said that someone got accepted to Mac the day before class started. They try to keep their classes full so offers will keep rolling out. I wouldn't expect too many offers to come out, but its still possible. Best thing is to just move on, and if something happens you can celebrate but I would plan for the more likely scenario which is no offer.

Canadian offers are still rolling out and will likely continue to do so until mid June so there is still hope.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Really? Why would someone pay the deposit for multiple schools? I assumed it was because some people find out late in the cycle they have been accepted to schools in North America.

Because not all of the schools give you offers at the same time, and the deadlines to accept and place a deposit are about 2 weeks from initial notice.

For example, RCSI sent out offers way ahead of most from the other schools, and those offers expired shortly before UCD sent out their first round offers. So if your first choice was UCD... but you got accepted to RCSI, you'd probably want to pay the RCSI deposit in the event UCD rejects you. If/when UCD does accept you, you'd have to pay their deposit as well.

Is there anyone in this forum who will be attending NUIG this year? I accepted my offer about 2 months ago and I was just wondering if anyone else is going to NUIG

I am confused about the ECFMG timeline. I know Step 1 is usually done in or after second year and step 2 in early fourth year (October) but for certification youll need a med school diploma which you won't get until you graduate in the next spring.

Does that mean we'll have to take a year off between graduating and starting residency?

I am confused about the ECFMG timeline. I know Step 1 is usually done in or after second year and step 2 in early fourth year (October) but for certification youll need a med school diploma which you won't get until you graduate in the next spring.

Does that mean we'll have to take a year off between graduating and starting residency?

If you are Canadian then quite possibly, but i know Irish grads who've been able to do it so i'm not sure.

A lot of US schools state they want your ECFMG certificate in hand before you apply or before they rank you. Some I guess don't care. Its possible to get your ECFMG certificate before you start residency if you get them to process it quickly but it seems like it'll be incredibly difficult.

Last edited:
No one from my school (that I know of) had to take a year off before starting residency.

People completed both Step 2s in 3rd year so they would be eligible to be looked at. I know a friend of mine didn't do his this year (his 3rd year) and somewhat regrets it because of the time window when they'll look at his Step 2 scores now.

I plan on doing both CK and CS next year (3rd year), along with EE. CS I have to fly to the US for, but the other two can be written in Dublin.

Reactions: 1 users
I just got a rejection from Limerick (GEM)... not that I'm terribly surprised or disappointed at that.
Same, I got mine last Thursday. Post dated April 16. You've been accepted at one of the other universities though right?

for me it was actually pre-interview (UL rejection). and i got mine on thursday as well (post date was same as others: april 16)

so if you don't receive an interview invitation by January for 1st round then it's a rejection?

so if you don't receive an interview invitation by January for 1st round then it's a rejection?

I don't think any schools send interview invites by January... that's when the first start to review applications. Interview invites generally come late February (RCSI) or March (Limerick).

The lack of an interview does not necessarily mean you are rejected... but since they interview more students than spots available, it would be very unlikely to secure an acceptance without an interview in regards to RCSI and UL.

Are all rotations done in Ireland?
If so, do you have to relocate or need a car?
And how do manage to get letters of rec. to apply for residency in the US?

Last edited by a moderator:
UL does all rotations in Ireland.

Some people get cars, some people don't. Depends on where you're placed or if you have a friend with a car. I have one, but I wanted SUPER rural GP placement so I needed it.

Electives in US or Canada on your summers / Christmas breaks get you the references letters.

UL does all rotations in Ireland.

Electives in US or Canada on your summers / Christmas breaks get you the references letters.
Do all A.B. schools offers US electives? Is it a must-do to secure LoRs?

Also, are rotations in Ireland more humane than the in the US (in terms of hours)? Here, even though there is a legal limit of 80 h/week, hospitals have found various ways to abuse interns...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, is there a separate forum for housing in Ireland?? I am looking for people who wouldn't minding living together and attending RCSI. I'm a GEP/GEM student so I'd prefer if I live with others who are also looking for GEP/GEM students. Let me know by a pm or just responding with a link to a forum about getting accommodation this year. Thanks! I've been looking at city centre/St. Stephen's Green, but I am also looking in Sandyford as well.

Do all A.B. schools offers US electives? Is it a must-do to secure LoRs?

Also, are rotations in Ireland more humane than the in the US (in terms of hours)? Here, even though there is a legal limit of 80 h/week, hospitals have found various ways to abuse interns...

As far as I know, you need LORs from the country you want to do residency in.

You have to find electives on your own for anywhere. Electives aren't a thing in Ireland. Summers are spent in freedom if you choose.

Rotations from what I know are humane. I know in 3rd year definitely and I haven't heard complaints about 4th year.

Interns probably get abused more but they aren't med students anymore either (not that it makes it right whatsoever but I think there is more 'protection' because you're still just a med student on rotation)

Does anyone know when the clinical electives usually take place in third and fourth years? Do schools usually allow a set time off for students to pursue their CEs or is it primarily a summer thing? As far as I can tell many CE programs in Canada and the US only let in students in their fourth/final year of medical school and I know it's best to do CEs are soon as possible so that may pose a challenge.

Anyone know how many spots are left at Trinity, NUIG, and Cork/ UCD (GEM) ? Does anyone ever get an offer this late?

Reactions: 1 users
Just out of curiosity, has anyone applied to Ireland more than once? If so, what did you do to improve your application? Thanks!

I haven't heard from them, nor trinity, nuig, or cork. Gotten rejections so far from RCSI and Limerick.
Same. contacted AB and my application remains open on an unranked waiting list for UCD, UCC, NUIG, and TD. At this point though I am making back up plans for next year and working towards making a better application for 2016.

Hey guys, is there a separate forum for housing in Ireland?? I am looking for people who wouldn't minding living together and attending RCSI. I'm a GEP/GEM student so I'd prefer if I live with others who are also looking for GEP/GEM students. Let me know by a pm or just responding with a link to a forum about getting accommodation this year. Thanks! I've been looking at city centre/St. Stephen's Green, but I am also looking in Sandyford as well.

Not on this forum, but we've a Facebook group with all the GEM students at RCSI for our entry year: https://www.facebook.com/groups/876551989053031/

I too am looking for a roommate, but would probably recommend somewhere closer to the St. Stephens Green campus since our second year is in Dublin 5, which is pretty much the opposite side of Dublin compared to Sandyford.

Has anyone heard if TCD or NUIG has sent out second offers? Last I heard from AB, they had only sent out first rounds for the 5 year program. Not sure what the update is at this point. I was also told that my file was on reserve, but that was a while ago that I checked with AB.

The only thing I can say to make myself and the rest of us feel better, is my two friends in med school in Ireland keep saying I should relax, as they only heard at the end of June and mid-July that they were accepted. This was a couple of years ago. One is now in third year at Cork and one is second year at UCD.

I would think they are going to send out an offer soon as Canadian offers are now out, and I would think that some people will have pulled out of Ireland if they got into a Canadian school..

Fingers crossed for all of us.

Reactions: 3 users
Not on this forum, but we've a Facebook group with all the GEM students at RCSI for our entry year: https://www.facebook.com/groups/876551989053031/

I too am looking for a roommate, but would probably recommend somewhere closer to the St. Stephens Green campus since our second year is in Dublin 5, which is pretty much the opposite side of Dublin compared to Sandyford.

I think thats a good idea, cause I have been thinking a lot about which place is ideal. PM me so I can find you on facebook and we can talk more through that. I think that will be easier than spamming this forum.

Heard from AB that my UCC rejection letter is on its way....

Hey I'm sorry to hear that! Have you heard anything from the other schools at all? Maybe there's still a chance at the others? Did you apply to the 4 yr or 5 yr at UCC?

Is it for 4 year or 5/6. Sorry to hear that. But I am at the point I would rather know one or the other than this wait listing that schools do.

I applied for the 5 yr course at UCC. Still on unranked wait list for others. Time is running out so have accepted RCSI-Bahrain for now....

I received a notice of a rejection from the 5 year programs to NUIG and RCSI today after I emailed AB asking for an update. I am still open for consideration at UCC, UCD, Trinity but not holding my breath :/