US Atlantic Bridge 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well TCD has already said that their class is full if you read the post above. Definitely by September there won't be any more offers.
While I know it's unlikely I did contact AB on the 31st and my file continued to be on reserve in case of any last minute withdrawals. Like I said I'm not holding my breath... But I would prefer to be 100% certain by receiving an official rejection letter.

Members don't see this ad.

Well I think TCD can't send letters of rejection until every student pays the initial 9,000 deposit or something like that. Yet, in my case I was told no more offers from TCD, but I still haven't received any letters. We have until Sept 27 to receive something.

Well I think TCD can't send letters of rejection until every student pays the initial 9,000 deposit or something like that. Yet, in my case I was told no more offers from TCD, but I still haven't received any letters. We have until Sept 27 to receive something.

When do classes start at TCD?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a FYI classes have started at UCC GEM for 1 week already. Not sure if they are still taking students.

I got my Trinity rejection in the mail this week. Thats it for Ireland. Good luck to everyone else.

Hey guys :)

I have two questions regarding the AB application:

1) Financing my education - Do I need to show a certain amount of money in my bank account to indicate that I am capable of paying the tuition? Is it okay to write line of credit/student loan.

2) Letters of Reference - For the community reference letter, does it have to be medicine/health care related? I am planning to ask my part time job supervisor.

Thank you!

Nope. Waiting on Australian schools now.

I'm gonna be in the same boat. I'm applying to the AB schools, then Australia if that doesn't work out. I was even an "mcat_taker" once.

Which Australian schools did you apply to? Also, if you don't mind me asking, what were your stats?

At this point I'm really not sure what to expect from AB, and I've heard it was all over the place. I'm sending in my application tomorrow.

I wanted to know if anyone knows or heard whether it would be possible to attend the first year of any Irish med school through Atlantic Bridge Program while reapplying for US med schools and once you complete the first year and you get accepted , then withdraw from the Irish med school ?

I wanted to know if anyone knows or heard whether it would be possible to attend the first year of any Irish med school through Atlantic Bridge Program while reapplying for US med schools and once you complete the first year and you get accepted , then withdraw from the Irish med school ?
Both AMCAS and AACOMAS ask if you have matriculated at a medical school before, and it would be a red flag if you have. You will have to disclose attendance of the school anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought they asked if you have matriculated at a US medical school... could be wrong

I would think you can. I might be wrong, but logically if you are still waiting to hear from your desired Irish medical school until late in the cycle (July 2015 -August) and you have already submitted your AMCAS/AACOMAS early in June 2015, while NOT enrolled at any medical school, you would not be giving false information. Now, let's say you start medical school in Ireland in September 2015 and get an interview for a U.S medical school after you enrolled in Ireland, then this is a different story.

I'm gonna be in the same boat. I'm applying to the AB schools, then Australia if that doesn't work out. I was even an "mcat_taker" once.

Which Australian schools did you apply to? Also, if you don't mind me asking, what were your stats?

At this point I'm really not sure what to expect from AB, and I've heard it was all over the place. I'm sending in my application tomorrow.

Sorry for the delayed response. I applied to Sydney, Griffith, and UQ-O in Australia. I retook the MCAT in july and scored a 500 which was probably just high enough for me to get interviews at all three (I had a 3.0 uGPA and 3.8 gGPA). I applied to Flinders as well, but it was pretty late in the cycle when I sent in my new MCAT results and I think they were too full to offer me an interview at that point so I never heard back from them.

I'm just waiting now post interview for those three to make a decision.

Sorry for the delayed response. I applied to Sydney, Griffith, and UQ-O in Australia. I retook the MCAT in july and scored a 500 which was probably just high enough for me to get interviews at all three (I had a 3.0 uGPA and 3.8 gGPA). I applied to Flinders as well, but it was pretty late in the cycle when I sent in my new MCAT results and I think they were too full to offer me an interview at that point so I never heard back from them.

I'm just waiting now post interview for those three to make a decision.
Did you apply to US schools as well?

I thought they asked if you have matriculated at a US medical school... could be wrong
Don't try to hide any detail on the application. IF one got caught lying in his/her application about having attended another medical school, that would mean the end of his/her chances to be a physician, no ifs, ands, or buts.

Don't try to hide any detail on the application. IF one got caught lying in his/her application about having attended another medical school, that would mean the end of his/her chances to be a physician, no ifs, ands, or buts.

If he already sent in his amcas before getting accepted/enrolling in Irish medical school it wouldn't be lying because at that point in time he wasn't a matriculant. I know people have left overseas medical schools midway through a semester when they found out they had an offer to a US school.

I wasn't advocating trying to hide or lie on an application, I just thought that rule applied to only US medical schools

Hello, I just posted this on another forum, but I am posting it here just in case as well. I am looking to receive feedback on my potential application.

My country of citizenship is: U.S.A
Currently studying: Finished a B.S. in Organismal Biology, M.A. in German Studies, finishing M.A. in Bioethics
My GPA is: sGPA: 3.80, cGPA: 3.81 for undergraduate. Current GPA in M.A. is 4.0
My MCAT Scores were: 1st MCAT I had a 23 (low), 2nd MCAT 496 (low). I plan to take the MCAT again after I take my first Kaplan course (the school offers a free one where I am receiving my M.A.)

I applied to: UCD, UCC, RCSI, UDT
I was accepted at:
I was waitlisted at:
I was rejected from:

My first choice school is:

I have applied to medical schools this many times: 1 (I applied to D.O. schools last cycle and I was too late with a low MCAT. I am applying to D.O. schools this cycle and I have had 1 interview as my MCAT score had not come back yet)

Academic Distinctions:
· Dean’s List with Distinction for Academic Year of 2014-2015
· Outstanding UofA Honors Senior Award 2015
· Distinction in EEB Poster Presentation 2015
· Outstanding UofA Senior Award 2015 Nominee 2015
· Outstanding EEB Senior Award Nominee 2015
· Highest Academic Distinction Fall 2014
· Leslie N. Gooding EEB Scholar 2014
· First place in poster presentation regarding research on the Berlin Wall and economic growth factors November 2014
· Highest Academic Distinction Award for Academic Year of 2013-2014
· Weinel Scholarship through German Department for palliative care research 2014
· Outstanding Honors Junior Award 2014
· Honors College Grant Award for academic research in palliative care 2014
· Travel Research Grant through UofA Study Abroad 2014
· SILLC Global Award 2014
· Pillars of Excellence Award 2014
· Dean’s List with Distinction for Academic Year of 2013-2014
· Auszeichnung (Award) from German Department at the UofA for academic distinction May 2013
· Honors Distinction and Pinning for Credit Hours 2013
· Dean’s List and Academic Distinction Awards for Academic Year of 2011-2013
· Induction into National Society of Collegiate Scholars August 2011
· Distinction in Honors First Year Project for research concerning E2F1 protein in cancer research 2012

(I apologize ahead of time for the longer list that I put on my condensed CV as I was not sure what to highlight/remove)

EC:
. Ethics committee chair member at hospital
. Plant storage effect and competition research for 1 year
. Bioinformatics research 1 year
. German translation research and 2 publications for 2 years
. Head TA for 2.5 years for Bioethics undergraduate course
. German language instructor for 1 year
. Psychiatry lab research for 1 year
. Palliative care humanities research for 3 years (ongoing research still)
. ER volunteer for 3.5 years
. Assisted living caretaker for quadriplegic for 3.5 years
. Single cell-measurements for cancer pathways research for 1.5 years

Letter Recommendations:
1) Letter from Department Head of Biology Department
2) Letter from D.O that I worked on my thesis with
3) Letter from an M.D. in Heidelberg, Germany that I worked on my thesis with
4) Letter from a Bioethicist that I helped teach undergraduate courses with

Once again, I apologize for this longer post. I will be taking the MCAT again as I have never had adequate time to remove distractions from research and effectively study. I am hopeful that this Kaplan course will be of use.

Both AMCAS and AACOMAS ask if you have matriculated at a medical school before, and it would be a red flag if you have. You will have to disclose attendance of the school anyway.

REally? it would be a red flag? what if the reason would be just to aim to attend MD school in US/Canada since someone might not want to waste a year but get ahead while waiting to get response?
Sorry, it might sounds like a stupid question!

I would think you can. I might be wrong, but logically if you are still waiting to hear from your desired Irish medical school until late in the cycle (July 2015 -August) and you have already submitted your AMCAS/AACOMAS early in June 2015, while NOT enrolled at any medical school, you would not be giving false information. Now, let's say you start medical school in Ireland in September 2015 and get an interview for a U.S medical school after you enrolled in Ireland, then this is a different story.
I was thinking of applying for Sep 2016 entrance which has NOV 16,2015 deadline , while applying for the AMCAS 2016 cycle with Sep 2017 entrance

Hello, I just posted this on another forum, but I am posting it here just in case as well. I am looking to receive feedback on my potential application.

My country of citizenship is: U.S.A
Currently studying: Finished a B.S. in Organismal Biology, M.A. in German Studies, finishing M.A. in Bioethics
My GPA is: sGPA: 3.80, cGPA: 3.81 for undergraduate. Current GPA in M.A. is 4.0
My MCAT Scores were: 1st MCAT I had a 23 (low), 2nd MCAT 496 (low). I plan to take the MCAT again after I take my first Kaplan course (the school offers a free one where I am receiving my M.A.)

I applied to: UCD, UCC, RCSI, UDT
I was accepted at:
I was waitlisted at:
I was rejected from:

My first choice school is:

I have applied to medical schools this many times: 1 (I applied to D.O. schools last cycle and I was too late with a low MCAT. I am applying to D.O. schools this cycle and I have had 1 interview as my MCAT score had not come back yet)

Academic Distinctions:
· Dean’s List with Distinction for Academic Year of 2014-2015
· Outstanding UofA Honors Senior Award 2015
· Distinction in EEB Poster Presentation 2015
· Outstanding UofA Senior Award 2015 Nominee 2015
· Outstanding EEB Senior Award Nominee 2015
· Highest Academic Distinction Fall 2014
· Leslie N. Gooding EEB Scholar 2014
· First place in poster presentation regarding research on the Berlin Wall and economic growth factors November 2014
· Highest Academic Distinction Award for Academic Year of 2013-2014
· Weinel Scholarship through German Department for palliative care research 2014
· Outstanding Honors Junior Award 2014
· Honors College Grant Award for academic research in palliative care 2014
· Travel Research Grant through UofA Study Abroad 2014
· SILLC Global Award 2014
· Pillars of Excellence Award 2014
· Dean’s List with Distinction for Academic Year of 2013-2014
· Auszeichnung (Award) from German Department at the UofA for academic distinction May 2013
· Honors Distinction and Pinning for Credit Hours 2013
· Dean’s List and Academic Distinction Awards for Academic Year of 2011-2013
· Induction into National Society of Collegiate Scholars August 2011
· Distinction in Honors First Year Project for research concerning E2F1 protein in cancer research 2012

(I apologize ahead of time for the longer list that I put on my condensed CV as I was not sure what to highlight/remove)

EC:
. Ethics committee chair member at hospital
. Plant storage effect and competition research for 1 year
. Bioinformatics research 1 year
. German translation research and 2 publications for 2 years
. Head TA for 2.5 years for Bioethics undergraduate course
. German language instructor for 1 year
. Psychiatry lab research for 1 year
. Palliative care humanities research for 3 years (ongoing research still)
. ER volunteer for 3.5 years
. Assisted living caretaker for quadriplegic for 3.5 years
. Single cell-measurements for cancer pathways research for 1.5 years

Letter Recommendations:
1) Letter from Department Head of Biology Department
2) Letter from D.O that I worked on my thesis with
3) Letter from an M.D. in Heidelberg, Germany that I worked on my thesis with
4) Letter from a Bioethicist that I helped teach undergraduate courses with

Once again, I apologize for this longer post. I will be taking the MCAT again as I have never had adequate time to remove distractions from research and effectively study. I am hopeful that this Kaplan course will be of use.

I think the success of your application will depend on your new MCAT score for the 4 year programs as that is the main factor used to rank applications, with average accepted applicants scoring 28-29 on the old MCAT. With your current GPA and MCAT I would say best chances are at 5 yr programs like Trinity and NUIG.

Good luck

I was thinking of applying for Sep 2016 entrance which has NOV 16,2015 deadline , while applying for the AMCAS 2016 cycle with Sep 2017 entrance
personally i don't think that's a good plan. timeline aside, you'll have to fly back and forth between Ireland and the US for interviews, that'd be a hassle. and in interview if you are asked what you're currently doing, you'll have to say that you're going to med school in Ireland; i don't know how it will play out..

why don't you consider http://www.mededpath.org :) their school year starts in february (2017) when US med schools are no longer sending interview invites so the timeline would work out for you. this program has an advantage in that all of your clinical years are in the US.

Last edited by a moderator:
personally i don't think that's a good plan. timeline aside, you'll have to fly back and forth between Ireland and the US for interviews, that'd be a hassle. and in interview if you are asked what you're currently doing, you'll have to say that you're going to med school in Ireland; i don't know how it will play out..

why don't you consider http://www.mededpath.org :) their school year starts in february (2017) when US med schools are no longer sending interview invites so the timeline would work out for you. this program has an advantage in that all of your clinical years are in the US.

U.S. schools don't just interview in the fall. Its very possible to get spring interviews for U.S. med schools too though.

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks for the suggestion, that might be an option for me as well :)

Maybe you didn't see what I posted earlier but here you go

Currently studying: undergrad (Bioinformatics & Forensics majors)

My GPA is: when I applied it was 3.63 out of 4.00 for undergrad and 3.92 out of 4.00 for high school
I have not taken an MCAT as I applied for the 5/6 years program and I'm still a sophomore
Lots of volunteer works in the hospital, with the American Red Cross and etc.
2 LORs
Very strong personal statement (that's what all the pre health advisors said)

I applied to: NUIG, UCD, RCSI, UCC, Masaryk University in Czech Republic
I was accepted to: Masaryk University in Czech Republic
I was waitlisted at: have not heard from UCD & UCC yet
I was rejected from: NUIG, RCSI (without an interview) :)

Can you share what the Masaryk process was like? Is there an interview?

Can you share what the Masaryk process was like? Is there an interview?

Even if there is one, I think its relaxed and informal. They just ask you simple questions about yourself. If you passed the exam then you're in. The interview is usually important if you were just under the pass mark, which I don't think happens often.