US Atlantic Bridge 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1) Hospitals, private/public clinics, rehab centres, research labs are all good places to get clinical experiences. I personally like to go to a smaller clinic or rehab centre as you really get to know each staff and patient, get to really build those connections.

2) 4 year programs are only avaliable to those applicants with a finished first degree. So even if you will have a MCAT score by the time you apply, you can only apply to 5/6 year programs. Keep in mind TCD only has 5 year program and does not even take MCAT into consideration. Applying as a 5/6 year applicant, schools will be looking at your 2 years in university as well as IB points. I actually am the same as you, just that I applied for the 2014-2015 cycle. I completed 2 years in U of T and did the IB in high school. As for how much do your IB points weigh against your university GPA, it depends on them. I think what you can do is use the fall semester to really boost your GPA up. Most schools will also wait until your winter semester to finish to make a decision. So not to worry, you have 2 semesters more to build that GPA.

3) I didn't have any research experience when I applied so I do not think it's that important. Of course, with some will give you an advantage but it's not the end of the world. Keep in mind for 5/6 year programs, you will be competing with high school leavers too so i doubt all of them will have research experience.

4) AB doesn't give you GPA cutoff marks as Irish medical schools look at each applicant separately, unlike most canadian/US med schools. This year i think a solid 3.5 or above gets you at a competitive level. But again some had lower GPAs and still got it. Remember you have a personal statement, resume, reference letters also in consideration, so many factors. I'm not sure about MCAT as I did not do it yet.

Feel free to msg me!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone that applied to the 5/6 year programs received a rejection from UCC or UCD? My file remains on reserve at both schools.

Has anyone that applied to the 5/6 year programs received a rejection from UCC or UCD? My file remains on reserve at both schools.

mine too, but for UCD/UCC 4 year programs. I think someone had a UCC rejection here. Haven't heard anyone with a UCD or Trinity rejection yet.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys!

I want to apply to Irish Medical Schools in the upcoming 2015-2016 application cycle and I have a few questions.

1. Why type of clinical experience do you recommend? Does it have to be at a hospital?

2. I just finished my second year of undergrad. My IB score was 41/45 and my current cGPA is 3.1. I am writing the new MCAT this summer and I am planning to apply with my MCAT scores. I am considering 4yr and 5yr programs. Based on my scores, what are my chances of getting accepted into a 4/5 year program? Also, do admission committees consider IB marks although I am applying as an undergraduate student?

3. Is it beneficial to have research experience? I am planning to do a thesis in my fourth year. Since I am applying during my third year, I might not have any type of research experience.

4. I read on the Atlantic Bridge website that there isn't a GPA/MCAT cutoff. What type of GPA and MCAT scores would make my application competitive?

Any feedback would be great!!

Thank you!! :)

Did you post this in two different threads? No one will be able to chance you without an MCAT score. The MCAT is generally the most important factor for all international schools. However, for 5 year programs, for example I have heard that (Trinity) doesn't even look at your MCAT score so your GPA is probably too low for those schools because they place additional emphasis on GPA (Unless you finish undergrad and drastically bring it up over the next two years). Not sure what will be considered competitive on the new MCAT scoring scale either. Generally from what I've seen on these forums is people getting accepted with 28+ mcat from the old scale for the 4 year programs. But that's no guarantee.

Did you post this in two different threads? No one will be able to chance you without an MCAT score. The MCAT is generally the most important factor for all international schools. However, for 5 year programs, for example I have heard that (Trinity) doesn't even look at your MCAT score so your GPA is probably too low for those schools because they place additional emphasis on GPA (Unless you finish undergrad and drastically bring it up over the next two years). Not sure what will be considered competitive on the new MCAT scoring scale either. Generally from what I've seen on these forums is people getting accepted with 28+ mcat from the old scale for the 4 year programs. But that's no guarantee.

Hey mcat_taker,

Yes, I posted in two different threads. This thread was from last year, so I thought it would be better to post in the other one.

Thank you for the info! Hopefully Canadian and American schools will release the minimum requirements based on the new MCAT.

Last edited:
Has anyone received an email directly from UCD about missing documents to your application (GAMSAT, HS transcript)?

My app was completed months ago through AB for the 4 yr program, which doesn't even need these items (I sent MCAT and University transcript) so it seems strange. AB told me to disregard it but I've since received the email twice more so it's a little concerning. A call to UCD international admissions didn't totally clear it up but they sort of just said ignore it. anyway- just wondering if anyone else had received something similar or had more info!

Has anyone gotten a rejection from Trinity, or UCC/ UCD (GEM) yet??

no rejection but no acceptance either :(
and i was told by ABP to contact in a month when I asked them about updates in last week of june.

Reactions: 1 users
Ucc yes but no word from ucd
Would anyone from UCC who received rejections share their stats?
I am still on the waiting list for the GEM at UCC, UCD, and Trinity. I was interviewed at RCSI and rejected immediately, as well as rejected from the 5 yr program at NUIG after being on the wait-list for about 2 months.

My stats are:
3.4 GPA from my undergrad in neuroscience at McGill (steep increase towards the end of the degree, first year 3.0, last years 3,7/3.8, not sure if that's relevant)
26 MCAT (8/9/9)
2 1/12 years of academic research experience, conference presentation co-authorship, and undergrad journal publications (so no real publications really)
1 yr full time work experience in clinical research (CRO/pharma company)
1 yr volunteer experience as EMT
8 yrs first aid experience as a lifeguard.

I'm trying to figure out if there is any reason I am still on the wait list, in other words if I am very close to those who have been accepted in later rounds, or if its just a precautions on their part.

I would like to apply again next cycle but am not sure there is really any point if I am very far from the cut offs they want (I know they "don't have cutoffs" and review applications "holistically", but you all know what I mean).

Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Would anyone from UCC who received rejections share their stats?
I am still on the waiting list for the GEM at UCC, UCD, and Trinity. I was interviewed at RCSI and rejected immediately, as well as rejected from the 5 yr program at NUIG after being on the wait-list for about 2 months.

My stats are:
3.4 GPA from my undergrad in neuroscience at McGill (steep increase towards the end of the degree, first year 3.0, last years 3,7/3.8, not sure if that's relevant)
26 MCAT (8/9/9)
2 1/12 years of academic research experience, conference presentation co-authorship, and undergrad journal publications (so no real publications really)
1 yr full time work experience in clinical research (CRO/pharma company)
1 yr volunteer experience as EMT
8 yrs first aid experience as a lifeguard.

I'm trying to figure out if there is any reason I am still on the wait list, in other words if I am very close to those who have been accepted in later rounds, or if its just a precautions on their part.

I would like to apply again next cycle but am not sure there is really any point if I am very far from the cut offs they want (I know they "don't have cutoffs" and review applications "holistically", but you all know what I mean).

Thanks and good luck to everyone!

I mean if you can increase your GPA and MCAT score next year then yes. But otherwise probably no sense reapplying if your scores will stay the same. At the end of the day "holistic" or not those are the most important factors.

I mean if you can increase your GPA and MCAT score next year then yes. But otherwise probably no sense reapplying if your scores will stay the same. At the end of the day "holistic" or not those are the most important factors.
Yeah I agree MCAT and GPA are the most important factors, that's why I'm asking what stats people who were rejected or accepted have to see how far I am from the mark. I plan on retaking the MCAT in January 2016, but I'm not sure how I will do with the new exam. My GPA won't be able to go up much as I have already graduated, although I do plan on taking a few classes as a special student (at this point I have 150 credits so 3 or 4 courses don't make much of a difference to my overall GPA).
I was hoping people who received letters of regret from UCC could share their MCAT/GPAs, I'm curious to see if they are significantly different than mine, and if there is some reason I am wailisted or if its simply that everyone aside from those with extremely low grades have been waitlisted.

GPA 3.60
MCAT; NO
RESEARCH
VOLUNTEER WORK
DOCTOR SHADOWING

Rejected from NGUI. Waitlisted at TCD

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to UCC only (did my MCAT in late October and sent everything in by courier in late November) and got accepted in March.

Stats:
3.56 cGPA BSc from UofT in Pharmacology
33 MCAT
2 clinical research projects in undergrad with one poster presentation to department faculty. Computer work mostly heh.
Volunteered at hospital for one year as admin assistant.
Volunteered in Panama last May for med clinics.

I applied to UCC only (did my MCAT in late October and sent everything in by courier in late November) and got accepted in March.

Stats:
3.56 cGPA BSc from UofT in Pharmacology
33 MCAT
2 clinical research projects in undergrad with one poster presentation to department faculty. Computer work mostly heh.
Volunteered at hospital for one year as admin assistant.
Volunteered in Panama last May for med clinics.
Congrats on getting accepted! Can I ask why you only applied to UCC?

Hi Everyone! I was wondering if a Facebook group has been made for those entering the GEM program at UCD? If so, provided there are enough likes on this post, I will make one.

Is anyone bringing their immunization record to Dublin? I received all of my immunization back when I was in Korea, so I don't have the Canadian version of it. Is this one of the papers we need for entry or registration?

Congrats on getting accepted! Can I ask why you only applied to UCC?

It was the cheapest option and they seemed to be decently ranked (below TCD which doesn't have GEM but on par with UCD).

Anyone applying for OSAP? AB said they mailed the program information form over a month ago but OSAP still hasn't acknowledged they received the document.

Is anyone bringing their immunization record to Dublin? I received all of my immunization back when I was in Korea, so I don't have the Canadian version of it. Is this one of the papers we need for entry or registration?
No immunization record is needed (at least not for UCC). They just asked me to mail an immunization form from a family doc in May.

Hi Everyone! I was wondering if a Facebook group has been made for those entering the GEM program at UCD? If so, provided there are enough likes on this post, I will make one.

Hey, there are already two groups on fb, should be provided to you in the email from Atlantis bridge shortly after you accept the offer I believe :)

Got 2 letters, one from AB another from Ireland
NUIG: rejected
RCSI: rejected without interview
Still waiting for Cork and UCD though

Is this for GEM or 5/6 yr program?
Would you mind sharing your stats?

It's 5/6 years program.
2nd year student 3.63 (4.00 scale) My science gap is about the same (sorry I don't remember exactly) Double major in Forensics and Bioinformatics minoring in Neuroscience.
2 letters of recommendations both are from my professors (one of them is a phd, another is the lab advisor whom I also worked with as a TA.
Lots of volunteer work at the hospital, American Red Cross, orientation leader, some local works with international club, and so on.
Hmmm that's all I can think of for now
If there's anything else feel free to ask :)

It's 5/6 years program.
2nd year student 3.63 (4.00 scale) My science gap is about the same (sorry I don't remember exactly) Double major in Forensics and Bioinformatics minoring in Neuroscience.
2 letters of recommendations both are from my professors (one of them is a phd, another is the lab advisor whom I also worked with as a TA.
Lots of volunteer work at the hospital, American Red Cross, orientation leader, some local works with international club, and so on.
Hmmm that's all I can think of for now
If there's anything else feel free to ask :)

If you are a still a second year student you really should consider staying in the US/Canada with a 3.63 GPA there is still a good possibility of being able to stay at home.

Reactions: 1 users
If you are a still a second year student you really should consider staying in the US/Canada with a 3.63 GPA there is still a good possibility of being able to stay at home.

Thanks for the advice.
The thing is I'm not a U.S. citizen nor a green card holder not even a permanent resident lol so it'll be hard for me to get it anyway
But I got into one of the med school in Czech already and I'm going (since they offer residencies in both Czech and some other EU countries even though they'll prefer EU citizen but they do have places for their graduates oh well) if I don't get into any of the ones in Ireland :)
Anyway good luck to y'all

I don't think Ireland is as easy this year as in previous years, this year seems harder than before.

I don't think Ireland is as easy this year as in previous years, this year seems harder than before.
I've heard that from a few people! What makes you say that? Did you apply previous years or know some people who did?

I've heard that from a few people! What makes you say that? Did you apply previous years or know some people who did?

Maybe you didn't see what I posted earlier but here you go

Currently studying: undergrad (Bioinformatics & Forensics majors)

My GPA is: when I applied it was 3.63 out of 4.00 for undergrad and 3.92 out of 4.00 for high school
I have not taken an MCAT as I applied for the 5/6 years program and I'm still a sophomore
Lots of volunteer works in the hospital, with the American Red Cross and etc.
2 LORs
Very strong personal statement (that's what all the pre health advisors said)

I applied to: NUIG, UCD, RCSI, UCC, Masaryk University in Czech Republic
I was accepted to: Masaryk University in Czech Republic
I was waitlisted at: have not heard from UCD & UCC yet
I was rejected from: NUIG, RCSI (without an interview) :)

Hi
Maybe you didn't see what I posted earlier but here you go

Currently studying: undergrad (Bioinformatics & Forensics majors)

My GPA is: when I applied it was 3.63 out of 4.00 for undergrad and 3.92 out of 4.00 for high school
I have not taken an MCAT as I applied for the 5/6 years program and I'm still a sophomore
Lots of volunteer works in the hospital, with the American Red Cross and etc.
2 LORs
Very strong personal statement (that's what all the pre health advisors said)

I applied to: NUIG, UCD, RCSI, UCC, Masaryk University in Czech Republic
I was accepted to: Masaryk University in Czech Republic
I was waitlisted at: have not heard from UCD & UCC yet
I was rejected from: NUIG, RCSI (without an interview) :)
Sorry I accidentally quoted the question I had posted higher up, I did see your answer, sorry about that! Thanks for the info!

Would you say Ireland is more competitive/harder to get into than UQ or Oztrekk in Australia? I was going to submit an application to Oztrekk but didn't due to UCC acceptance and didn't want to wait another 6-7 months for school to start in 2016.

Yeah i applied for their 6 year program back several years ago, but my stats were from high school. However, I've been on this forum ever since and stats that would have made it in previous years haven't this year.

Last edited:
Would you say Ireland is more competitive/harder to get into than UQ or Oztrekk in Australia? I was going to submit an application to Oztrekk but didn't due to UCC acceptance and didn't want to wait another 6-7 months for school to start in 2016.

I would say Ireland is more competitive for sure.

Does anyone have experience with calling the Irish universities for an update?

I got a rejection from UCC but I haven't heard from UCD yet. But I got an acceptance letter from NUIG during first week of April. So I'm not gonna bother with UCD.

Is there anyone in this forum who will be attending NUIG this year? I accepted my offer about 2 months ago and I was just wondering if anyone else is going to NUIG

I will be attending NUIG. Have you decided on an accommodation yet?

Rejected from RCSI, NUIG, UCD, and waitlisted at UCC. I have accepted my offer to RCSI Bahrain. Anyone else on this forum going to Bahrain? If so, pm me!

Hello guys,

Has anyone received any information about TCD? Rejections or offers this late?

Hello guys,

Has anyone received any information about TCD? Rejections or offers this late?

Im still waiting for TCD to make a final decision. I had to pay for UCC so I probably won't consider TCD anymore.

Just got rejection letter from UCD
Oh well Still waiting for UCC

Well at least we should all know something soon if people have gotten UCC and UCD rejections at this point. I guess Trinity hasn't sent rejections yet.

I just got into Trinity this morning!! Is anyone else going there? I haven't decided if I will be accepting the offer yet. I was pretty set on taking the year off and reapplying in Canada. I have only applied to Canadian schools once (this past year) and am waitlisted at one of them. I'm not sure if it's too premature to jump ship to Ireland. Does anyone know if I can start at Trinity while reapplying to Canadian schools over this year?

I got a rejection from UCC but I haven't heard from UCD yet. But I got an acceptance letter from NUIG during first week of April. So I'm not gonna bother with UCD.

Rejected from RCSI, NUIG, UCD, and waitlisted at UCC. I have accepted my offer to RCSI Bahrain. Anyone else on this forum going to Bahrain? If so, pm me!

Just got rejection letter from UCD
Oh well Still waiting for UCC

I just got into Trinity this morning!! Is anyone else going there? I haven't decided if I will be accepting the offer yet. I was pretty set on taking the year off and reapplying in Canada. I have only applied to Canadian schools once (this past year) and am waitlisted at one of them. I'm not sure if it's too premature to jump ship to Ireland. Does anyone know if I can start at Trinity while reapplying to Canadian schools over this year?

You guys that got a rejection/acceptance recently, did you receive it via normal mail/fedex or email?

CONGRATSS!!! I'm still waiting :( What was your stats btw? I am in the same boat as you and was set on taking a year off and reapplying to Canada.

You guys that got a rejection/acceptance recently, did you receive it via normal mail/fedex or email?

I got an email from TCD directly saying to check my online portal because it had been updated and the offer letter was there. I assume I will receive something in the mail sometime soon as well, but nothing yet.

CONGRATSS!!! I'm still waiting :( What was your stats btw? I am in the same boat as you and was set on taking a year off and reapplying to Canada.

Thanks! I feel ya though, the waiting game is utterly brutal and honestly I'm super stressed atm trying to figure out what to do. I'm really considering going to TCD, but still reapplying to some Canadian schools and seeing what happens.

I just finished my undergrad at McGill in Physiology. I applied to Ireland really late (March), with a GPA of 3.80. I have a very research-oriented CV because I did an honours program. Also had a lot of TA/tutoring stuff and some clinical shadowing.