University of Oklahoma Class of 2009 Go Sooners!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
huH?? weird....

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe he means 'violated' in a good way? Like by hot nursing students learning to do physicals for the first time. :love:

do they have cross colleges parties? i.e. nursing + pharm + medical, but no dental allowed type of gatherings? heheheh jk

Members don't see this ad :)
doc_in_the_box said:
Several of your upper classmates have written regarding experiences at your school. I am sorry to hear about your situation and the conditions. Some of you may be violated.

In case you kids run into any difficulty or know anybody, there's expert help and something you can do about it.

You poor souls. Is there not any other place you can start school?

Seek free government and experienced help, pm me.

-doc
Retired M.D.
USC, '72

Be gone, ye disgruntled troll, who becomes a poster in order to do nothing more than start so-called discrimination threads. Dr. Chung would be surprised to learn that minorities don't chair departments, as that's not what his business card says.
I find it difficult to believe that a "retired" MD would bother to come on a student forum whining about some fairy-tale discrimination when this has never been a topic. Have a look at the residency sites, and you'll find a proportionate amount of minorities in all residencies, greater in some, less in others. Internal medicine is overwhelmingly minority, as are many of the IM subspecialties. Ortho comes to mind as the only specialty that is mostly cauc. males. So what. Each specialty has it's own personality that attracts certain types of people. Some are highly intellectual (neuro), some attract less "people-persons" (path), some are more "jock oriented" (ortho), and some attract people who enjoy a life outside of medicine (EM). It doesn't mean the programs are exclusive or racist, and it's higly irrational of you to imply so, and demonstrates your lack of understanding of the process. However, given the nature of your other posts, it is quite obvious that that is the case. You responded to one of my other posts stating that I basically didn't know what I was talking about when I stated that med school is not all about rote memorization, that I was JUST A 2nd YEAR student, and that I wouldn't know. Excuse me, I just spent the last year, experiencing the very thing I posted about. You are either a troll, or even if you are a retired MD, as you say, then you've been out of the didactic loop for about 30 years "doc" :rolleyes:, and things are a little different these days.

Retired MD, huh. You sound more like a disgruntled premed with a vendetta who just got their pre-secondary rejection.

On a lighter note, have you guys seen the new cop calendar?

The all nude police officer calendar for 2005 comes in an all-male and an all-female version. All pics show full frontal nudity, for both female and males. Just click on the menu to select which one you want to view. They are available for sale on the site -- the calendars, not the officers. Click on the site below to view all 12 (24) totally nude police officers.

http://www.richstevens.com/NAKED.swf

oudoc08 said:

The all nude police officer calendar for 2005 comes in an all-male and an all-female version. All pics show full frontal nudity, for both female and males. Just click on the menu to select which one you want to view. They are available for sale on the site -- the calendars, not the officers. Click on the site below to view all 12 (24) totally nude police officers.

Helping us 1st years by giving us a head-start on Anatomy I see.... :rolleyes:

oudoc08 said:

Hey hey hey that wasn't very nice ;)

whahahahahha go kitty go!
z7473680.jpg

and you wonder why we're one of the fattest nations in the world:
z7473586.jpg

lfesiam said:

Man, I've seen this poor kid's pic at least 10 different times now. How much would it suck to log in and see yourself stuffing your overly obese face posted all over the net? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

wedgies.jpg
:D

That kid just makes me sad...

z7473586.jpg
[/QUOTE]

There is this book titled " Don't Eat This Book" by ( Morgan Spurlock) the guy who made the documentary called "Super Size Me." I am just finishing it up, and when I saw that picture of that kid just "scarfin" it down, the things in the book came to mind. The unfortunate thing is that kind of eating lifestyle is becoming more and more common. The book mentioned that it is projected (by the centers for disease control and prevention) that one out of three kids that are born in 2000 will develop type 2 dibetes due to poor eating habits such as shown in the picture.

Oh well, back to Americas "favorite vegatable", the french fries.....j\k :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think their parents just don't realize? Don't see it, ignore it, don't care? It's so sad...

I think it is the environment at home. That's why it's so important to educate the general public! (also safe sex, smoking, etc..)

Almost all cases of kids used to be Type 1, now between 8-45% of new onset diabetes cases in the US are Type 2. While there is a genetic component, it is also highly correlative to the increasing incidence of childhood obesity.
I don't think it's that the parents don't care, I think it's just a lifestyle. Rarely do you see a fat kid without fat parents, and the evidence shows that it's more environmentally correlative than genetics. It's awfully hard to make your kid eat right when you won't do it yourself.
Bottom line, portion control. If peoople would consciously throw away half of everything on their plate, we would be a healthier nation. (Remember that from HB, Sharp? I thought it was the best advice we got in that class all year long).

Secondly, get your kids outdoors. Play in the dirt, make mud pies, run amok, whatever.
Just turn off Spongebob (as much as I love that little, yellow dude), get their butts (and yours) up off the couch, and go do something.

And put down the fork.

We can blame genetics all day long for obesity and diabetes, but it's nothing more than a unmodifiable risk factor. There are many others that we can do something about, but until people get sick and tired of being sick and tired, I'm afraid it's not going to happen.

Bottom line, I thnk as physicians, we are going to have to stop the coddling, and get brutally honest with people. I'm all for the "Mr. Johnson, if you don't get off the couch and put down the cheeseburgers, your kids are soon going to be fatherless." approach, rather than the "It wouldn't hurt you to lose a few pounds, here's a pamphlet" mindset, that is far too common.

Until "I'm fat and happy" obestity trends and the associated health hazards are looked upon with the same concern as smoking, by the average person in this country, nothings going to change.

Of course, that brings up the topic of insurance companies. You are charged a higher premium for being a smoker. Should you be charged extra for every pound beyond ideal BMI?
While I'm against getting gouged by insurance companies, I certainly recognize the reason for higher risk/higher premium,, and I'm willing to consider that maybe if people had to pay more for coverage associated with their obesity, they might be more willing to do something about it.

i'm officially a homeowner. just bought a 2b2b condo in sycamore square downtown. i dont move in until the end of august, but come september i'll start looking for a med student to rent out the 2nd bedroom. if anyone is interested in being 5 minutes from the ouhsc campus and bricktown, let me know and we'll talk. rent for a roomate will probably be 340+ utilities. the second bedroom has a full bathroom and there is a washer and dryer in the condo. oh yeah, and my unit is close to the pool and hot tub. mmmmmm. the sycamore square apartments (which are identical and attached) rent out for around 750/month for the 960 s.f. unit, which is the one i have. the address is 600 nw 4th street. it's right by the new art museum, library, etc.

Dr Turninkoff said:
i'm officially a homeowner. just bought a 2b2b condo in sycamore square downtown. i dont move in until the end of august, but come september i'll start looking for a med student to rent out the 2nd bedroom. if anyone is interested in being 5 minutes from the ouhsc campus and bricktown, let me know and we'll talk. rent for a roomate will probably be 340+ utilities. the second bedroom has a full bathroom and there is a washer and dryer in the condo. oh yeah, and my unit is close to the pool and hot tub. mmmmmm. the sycamore square apartments (which are identical and attached) rent out for around 750/month for the 960 s.f. unit, which is the one i have. the address is 600 nw 4th street. it's right by the new art museum, library, etc.

Congrats. Sounds like a good setup. I moved around the same time last year, and it's not too bad, even with all the studying and class. Actually makes for a nice break from the books.

Dr. Turn-Congrats on the new condo.

I was wondering do we need like a graphing calculator in med school (I have a TI-86). I was planning on giving my calculator to my sister who needs it for high school (instead of her dishing out $100 to buy a new one).

Also, should we buy the 3 ring binders for the syllabi or do they come in the binder alread? Its back to school time, and I was at walmart and saw some cheap binders so i was wondering if you need them or not for all the notes we will get.

pbehzad said:
Dr. Turn-Congrats on the new condo.

I was wondering do we need like a graphing calculator in med school (I have a TI-86). I was planning on giving my calculator to my sister who needs it for high school (instead of her dishing out $100 to buy a new one).

Also, should we buy the 3 ring binders for the syllabi or do they come in the binder alread? Its back to school time, and I was at walmart and saw some cheap binders so i was wondering if you need them or not for all the notes we will get.

You don't need a calculator for anything except epidemiology in the second semester. Honestly, I can't even remember if we were even allowed to use calculators on the exam (I know we couldn't use PDA's).

Adam?

As far as ring binders, what I did, was as soon as we got our syllabi for each class, I took the first test block material from each class and put it one binder. Then after the block was over, I took all of that out, and put all block 2 material in, etc.

That way you only need one binder.

You will get a 4" ring binder that has all of your biochem syllabus in it. Then you can use that one. The other classes are just paper, no binders.

However, some people like to put each subject in a separate binder, and only carry what they need that day, so if that's you, then maybe a couple of 2" binders would work.

To visualize, each test block will have about an 3" or so, of paper total including syllabi and notegroups.

WhoisJohnGalt said:
Weren't we supposed to be getting our final mail-out this week (with "supply lists" and everything)? Has anyone gotten theirs?

Just remember, "required" = "recommended by the instructor", not "Buy it, or you'll get your fingers twisted off"
For example, there is like 4 or 5 books for biochem alone that are "required".

The average person in our class had none of them, except maybe a Lippincott (which wasn't even on the list, but is probably one of the best and easiest reads out there).

You just don't have time to read textbooks.

oudoc08 said:
Congrats. Sounds like a good setup. I moved around the same time last year, and it's not too bad, even with all the studying and class. Actually makes for a nice break from the books.

yeah the moving won't be bad, but i don't imagine i'll have much time for any remodeling projects until christmas break.

i thought i'd mention to everyone that if you need some cash before disbursement, you can go to the fin aid office, fill out an emergency loan form, take it to the bursar's office, and you'll have a check for 500.00 in less than 30 minutes. you do have to put what you need it for on the form, so give it some thought before you go in.

I`m typing this on my psp. You should get one of these.

Injecting mesenchymal (non-embryo) stem cells into the heart restores damage/function by 50-75%, pretty cool huh?

"The process uses adult stem cells taken from the bone marrow. These cells, called mesenchymal cells, have been shown to give rise to a variety of cell types. While they don't have the potential to develop into as many cell types as embryonic stem cells, using them avoids the controversy over taking cells from a human embryo.

In tests in pigs, stem cells taken from another pig's bone marrow were injected into the animal's damaged heart. After just two months, the stem cells had helped restore heart function and repaired damaged heart muscle by 50 percent to 75 percent.
In the pig study, the researchers studied 14 animals that had had heart attacks. Seven were given the stem-cell therapy and seven were not. The adult stem cells were directly injected into the heart muscle through a catheter.

The seven treated pigs had their heart muscle contraction restored to levels that existed before the heart attacks and dead scar tissue nearly disappeared after therapy, the researchers said.

In the seven other pigs, which were injected with an inert placebo, no recovery was observed and the animals' condition worsened, leading to the development of congestive heart failure within two months after heart attack, according to the researchers.
"

excerpt from http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/07/26/stem.cells.heart.ap/index.html

lfesiam said:
Injecting mesenchymal (non-embryo) stem cells into the heart restores damage/function by 50-75%, pretty cool huh?
[/URL]

After you posted this, I remembered a case awhile back, where a teenager was shot in the heart with a pneumatic nail gun, causing a massive MI.
He was then treated with this technique.

Here's a link:
http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=20030305-053917-3903r

I don't know if this has been made available to you guys, but there is the order form for some nifty college of medicine t-shirts. The .pdf order form file is too big for me to post. PM me your email address if you would like it sent to you.

ad_sharp said:
I don't know if this has been made available to you guys, but there is the order form for some nifty college of medicine t-shirts. The .pdf order form file is too big for me to post. PM me your email address if you would like it sent to you.
Thanks for letting us lowly first years know about the t-shirts, ad_sharp. You rock, and the shirts are cool!! :cool:

will be in OKC on sunday afternoon at Univ Village! but will be with no furnitures until 6/11-6/12 =( takes about 3-4 weeks for ordering, processing, confirming, delivering on IKEA.com. sigh...will be living a hermit life (a pillow + a sleeping bag for 2-3 weeks)
but my setup should be hot! I'm getting a bunch of plants too! Probably going to get adopt a siamese kitty by the middle of the semester or 2nd semester.

really looking forward to the prematriculation program! i'll update you guys about the experience.

anyways, if any of you guys/girls who're already around campus and wanna hang out/ go gyming/ bball-soccer/ get dinner/ catch a movie (wedding crasher is on my list right now), PM me and i'll give u guys my contact!

i expertise in having a good time! haha =)

lfesiam said:
will be in OKC on sunday afternoon at Univ Village! but will be with no furnitures until 6/11-6/12 =( takes about 3-4 weeks for ordering, processing, confirming, delivering on IKEA.com. sigh...will be living a hermit life (a pillow + a sleeping bag for 2-3 weeks)
but my setup should be hot! I'm getting a bunch of plants too! Probably going to get adopt a siamese kitty by the middle of the semester or 2nd semester.

really looking forward to the prematriculation program! i'll update you guys about the experience.

anyways, if any of you guys/girls who're already around campus and wanna hang out/ go gyming/ bball-soccer/ get dinner/ catch a movie (wedding crasher is on my list right now), PM me and i'll give u guys my contact!

i expertise in having a good time! haha =)

PM me your apt # and I'll swing by after work one day next week.

Dr Turninkoff said:
i thought i'd mention to everyone that if you need some cash before disbursement, you can go to the fin aid office, fill out an emergency loan form, take it to the bursar's office, and you'll have a check for 500.00 in less than 30 minutes. you do have to put what you need it for on the form, so give it some thought before you go in.

Thanks a bunch for the heads up, that really helped me out!

I got a letter today from my lender saying I was only eligible for subsidized Stafford loans, and not any unsubsidized loans. :mad:

This isn't good!

I'll call the financial aid office because according to the letter the school only certified me for $8500. :(

Just got the list of our class and our mentors, along with our class schedule, book list, and other letters in the mail. So check your mail box for the packet if you haven't yet.

Looking forward to meeting you all next month.

Hey Siam! We're in the same mod!

representing the dude-fest that is mod #213 :rolleyes:

Wow, has anyone noticed that our mods aren't in alphabetical order?? Kinda weird if we're the first class they've done that to. :confused:

:spam:

"I've found that it's much easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission."

~Jay Snell~

Mod 13's a dudefest?... hey i'm not complaining!!! That's right, mod #13 here I come :) Haha j/k, but I am in #13. :D

Cricket09 said:
Mod 13's a dudefest?... hey i'm not complaining!!! That's right, mod #13 here I come :) Haha j/k, but I am in #13. :D

you must be aelayna right? i'm your new facebook friend nolan, if in fact it is you.

Cricket09 said:

actually, it now appears that the class of 2009 is a dudefest in itself. i'm going to assume that you can probably extrapolate that trend across the whole college of medicine. i guess that's why the nursing school is next door.

Dr Turninkoff said:
actually, it now appears that the class of 2009 is a dudefest in itself. i'm going to assume that you can probably extrapolate that trend across the whole college of medicine. i guess that's why the nursing school is next door.

There's more females in my class than males and I think the 3rd years are about 50/50.

WhoisJohnGalt said:
31 here... which seems to be sort of a chickfest

I'm a member of thirty one. Welcome to the coolest mod in the school.

ad_sharp said:
There's more females in my class than males and I think the 3rd years are about 50/50.

wow, maybe my mod just got the shaft. no pun intended.

hey guys, i finally got to OKC!!! (flew in from atlanta after visiting my buddies) I'm typing this in my room at the Univ Apartment..well not much of a room now, just me + a laptop + 3 bags + a sleeping bag. My trip to atlanta was a lot of fun, except that I lost one of my check-in luggage =( All good, I'll survive for now, good thing I won't need my suit for anything. Had to go out and buy socks/ ties though in Atlanta cuz they were in the missing bag haha.

Hey itam, cool! i'll see u tomorrow at the prematric thingy.

Well, time to start learning how to be a sooner..hmm..but going to get my much needed nap for now..whew..what a trip. Maybe later today, i'll take a jog around campus to see where everything is. I guess i can't use the student center gym yet because I don't have a student I.D....hmm but i'll try it anyway.

YAWNNNNN zzzzzzzzzzz

lfesiam said:
hey guys, i finally got to OKC!!! (flew in from atlanta after visiting my buddies) I'm typing this in my room at the Univ Apartment..well not much of a room now, just me + a laptop + 3 bags. My trip to atlanta was a lot of fun, except that I lost one of my check-in luggage =( All good, I'll survive for now, good thing I didn't need my suit for anything. Had to go out and buy socks/ ties though in Atlanta cuz they were in the missing bag haha.

Hey itam, cool! i'll see u tomorrow at the prematric thingy.

Well, time to start learning how to be a sooner..hmm..but going to get my much needed nap for now..whew..what a trip. Maybe later today, i'll take a jog around campus to see where everything is. I guess i can't use the student center gym yet because I don't have a student I.D....hmm but i'll try it anyway.

YAWNNNNN zzzzzzzzzzz

Welcome to OK!!! Hope you get your much needed rest :)