University of Oklahoma Class of 2009 Go Sooners!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ad_sharp said:
Just a tie. I don't recall there being any food at the white coat last year. The anatomical donor lunch has good food though.

When is the anatomical donor lunch?

Members don't see this ad.

Cowboy_fan said:
What is the anatomical donor lunch?

this fuzzy thing :cool:
OK101.4762550-1-pn.jpg

joking hahaha

I plan to adopt a siamese kitten... for those with cats, was it too cumbersome to take care of one during medschool?

hmm i should find out from jackie first if its ok at UV.

lfesiam said:
OK101.4762550-1-pn.jpg

joking hahaha

I plan to adopt a siamese kitten... for those with cats, was it too cumbersome to take care of one during medschool?

I've got two Chihuahuas. They're awesome.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cowboy_fan said:
When is the anatomical donor lunch?

You haven't heard of this yet? It's the best part of disorientation. You get to meet with the families of the person who donated their body to your anatomy dissection. It sounds really creepy, but it is one of the best experiences of the first year. It gives you a chance to say thank you for the personal sacrifice of others and reinforces the feeling that you really are doing something important-something so important that someone gave their body to use in your education. At the end of the semester, there is a dinner where you will meet with the families once again to express your appreciation. Here we don't refer to our cadavers as a "body" we refer to them by their first name. We know their history from the family. It makes for a very unique experience. No need to be afraid.

Edit: opps! that says when, not what

lfesiam said:
OK101.4762550-1-pn.jpg

joking hahaha

I love siamese kitties!! I hope you are able to get one. I would like one, but my current calico wouldn't go for that. She is the queen. :rolleyes:

speedo542 said:
I love siamese kitties!! I hope you are able to get one. I would like one, but my current calico wouldn't go for that. She is the queen. :rolleyes:

btw, cats are disgusting animals.

ad_sharp said:
We've had this discussion in person, ad_sharp. You don't know what you are talking about. We can debate it tomorrow, however, if you would like. Bring it on. :p

speedo542 said:
We've had this discussion in person, ad_sharp. You don't know what you are talking about. We can debate it tomorrow, however, if you would like. Bring it on. :p

Like Donkey Kong

Your mom goes to college

I love kitties!!! My mom has a siamese...she's a little crazy, but the most affectionate cat ever. I have two tabbys. I plan on leaving one with my parents (he likes it there better anyways) and adopting another when I move to OKC...i'm excited :D

yea cricket! i'm definitely a cat person, yea siamese is the most loyal breed, a cross of a monkey and a dog hehe...

Members don't see this ad :)
Cricket09 said:
I love kitties!!! My mom has a siamese...she's a little crazy, but the most affectionate cat ever. I have two tabbys. I plan on leaving one with my parents (he likes it there better anyways) and adopting another when I move to OKC...i'm excited :D

A "cat lady" down the street from my house has some cute little kittens up for adoption. If anyone is interested in taking a look at them, I live in the Greens by Mercy Hospital. Also, her kids sell 25 cent lemonade every day in the 100 degree heat from their little stand in the front yard. I feel like such a bastard because I don't want to get out of my air conditioned car to go buy some.

Dudes, I got a dell!!! My brand new desktop has just arrived. I am sooo excited. The desktop we have now is ~6 years old, and very slow. My husband said not to touch anything, he would put it together when he got home. He obviously doesn't remember the woman he married. I haven't put it together yet, but I have touched. I got the PC and the monitor out and sat them on the kitchen table. I just want to look at them now. They are so beautiful. The monitor is a 20 in widescreen, flat, ultrasharp. I want to see something on it!!

Well, I'm done. I just wanted to share my excitement with you guys!! :clap:

Dr Turninkoff said:
A "cat lady" down the street from my house has some cute little kittens up for adoption. If anyone is interested in taking a look at them, I live in the Greens by Mercy Hospital. Also, her kids sell 25 cent lemonade every day in the 100 degree heat from their little stand in the front yard. I feel like such a bastard because I don't want to get out of my air conditioned car to go buy some.

Thanks, I bet they're adorable. I usually adopt from the SPCA tho. They spay or neuter them and give them all their shots and it only costs about 60 bucks to adopt. And I feel sorry for all those kitties stuffed in those little cages in the shelters. You should buy some lemonade, it would probably make those kids really happy.... ;)

speedo542 said:
Dudes, I got a dell!!! My brand new desktop has just arrived. I am sooo excited. The desktop we have now is ~6 years old, and very slow. My husband said not to touch anything, he would put it together when he got home. He obviously doesn't remember the woman he married. I haven't put it together yet, but I have touched. I got the PC and the monitor out and sat them on the kitchen table. I just want to look at them now. They are so beautiful. The monitor is a 20 in widescreen, flat, ultrasharp. I want to see something on it!!

Well, I'm done. I just wanted to share my excitement with you guys!! :clap:

Sounds awesome. :)

I upgraded to a 19" lcd monitor, and I'm loving it. :)

Hi future classmates!

It seems i've lost the sheet from the packet about the
BLS certification so i was hoping someone could answer this
question: does the cpr certification need to be adult/child/infant?
I am certified but for adult only, I can't remember that the sheet
specified which certification we needed, so I'm hoping i won't need
to take anything extra. Does anyone know if this will be a problem?
And then do we just take a copy of the cert cards to the dean's office or the originals? :confused:

thanks

after browsing back through old posts, i noticed someone
said we needed the cpr for health providers, so i probably
should just call and ask if mine will work...does anyone have the number
and email for the contact guy listed on the paper?

ad_sharp said:
Just a tie. I don't recall there being any food at the white coat last year. The anatomical donor lunch has good food though.

Yeah, there was some food remember? Cheese, finger sandwiches (not real fingers, for those scared about anatomy practical jokes or anything)

Doxie said:
Hi future classmates!

It seems i've lost the sheet from the packet about the
BLS certification so i was hoping someone could answer this
question: does the cpr certification need to be adult/child/infant?
I am certified but for adult only, I can't remember that the sheet
specified which certification we needed, so I'm hoping i won't need
to take anything extra. Does anyone know if this will be a problem?
And then do we just take a copy of the cert cards to the dean's office or the originals? :confused:

thanks

I'm almost positive you're going to have to have "healthcare provider" level CPR, which includes adult, child and infant, as well as AED, BVM, etc., not just the adult Heartsaver course.

ad_sharp said:

Cats are awesome. (As long as you go heavy on the salt.)

I am thinking of buying a tablet notebook and I was wondering if any veteran knows if one would be useful for taking notes for the first two years of class. Any other recommendations on notebook purchase? :confused:

Metaphysician said:
I am thinking of buying a tablet notebook and I was wondering if any veteran knows if one would be useful for taking notes for the first two years of class. Any other recommendations on notebook purchase? :confused:

Hey Meta,

Here's my opinion:

personally I would like something ultraportable, powerful, long battery life, & lots of ram when I look at laptops. i was thinking about getting a tablet but I'm a faster typer than a writer (took keyboarding way back in high school, probably the most useful class ever, thank to that class i can type without looking at the screen or the keyboards).

for tablet i was actually looking at the fujitsu lifebook T4010P:
1.jpg

newegg.com is actually having a sale on it for $1,524.00!!!! after $225 (brand new) instant rebate + $6 shipping
link here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834110125&ATT=Notebooks&CMP=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r
spec: 1.6 ghz, 256 DDR ram, 40 GB, 5 hours batt life, 4.2 lbs!

oudoc08 said:
I'm almost positive you're going to have to have "healthcare provider" level CPR, which includes adult, child and infant, as well as AED, BVM, etc., not just the adult Heartsaver course.

I wish i had just gone ahead and signed up for the class OU is
offering. The class I had was 8 hours, so I don't see why it wouldn't
be as good as the four hour class OU is offering...I really need to talk
to the guy, could someone please post or pm me the name of the guy
listed as the contact on the sheet. thanks :oops:

Doxie said:
I wish i had just gone ahead and signed up for the class OU is
offering. The class I had was 8 hours, so I don't see why it wouldn't
be as good as the four hour class OU is offering...I really need to talk
to the guy, could someone please post or pm me the name of the guy
listed as the contact on the sheet. thanks :oops:

I dont have that sheet anymore but he emailed me once and his name is Brett Braly and his email address is [email protected] I hope that helps. :)

Metaphysician said:

As far as tablet, there was one person in my mod that had one, and he seemed to like it, but the only time I ever saw him use the tablet portion, was taking notes during PCM or PBL sessions. See, the syllabi are so complete that you don't usually take regular notes in med school (unless it's your turn to write notegroups that day). Most people just follow along on the lectures and scrawl an occasional note on the syllabus.
But it just depends on your style of learning. Just realize that it's different than undergrad, in that you won't be scrawling down mass notes while the instructor is talking. So buy accordingly.

As far as other notebooks, it depends if you want to haul it back and forth to school all the time.
I bought a Dell that is like 8 lbs, but I really wanted the 17" widescreen as I was also going to use it for a home computer as well.
If I could have gotten a powerful lg. screen notebook, that was only a couple pounds, I would have, but last year when I bought mine, the rule was more power, more weight. So, I compromised. I didn't get the 12 lb., 2" thick gaming monster, but I also couldn't settle for the 2 lb. ultralight that only had like a 12" screen and low processing power.
I feel like mine is too heavy to haul routinely, but not occasionally. As, many including myself, become homeschoolers after the 1st semester, the portability issue became less important, and now I'm even happier with my purchase.

A couple of must haves, a wireless card (the BSEB isn't wireless, but the student union and other study places are), an awesome display (I bought the $300 upgrade (like UXGA or something like that) and enough RAM to accomodate the requirements of the online resources, and a high cap. or extra battery. I've got two 3hr bats, but I would rather have the 8 hr. battery, so you don't have to hibernate the computer to change batteries, and then worry about having to recharge both of them.

On a side note, I also wouldn't recommend purchasing a PDA. You really won't need it for clinical purposes until you start 3rd year, and if you buy one then, you can get the top-of-the-line model without having one that's a couple of years old.
Ad_Sharp might disagree with me, but remember he's independently wealthy.
He's jets down to his own private island with like 10 honeys every weekend, sips pina coladas, and works on his tan. :)

Long story short...

I had a 30% off coupon from buying the sixth Harry Potter book at Borders, so I bought my Netter's anatomy there - $52 for a new book.

I spent some time looking at it this week.

It's a little intimidating.

And when I say a little, I mean I was quite astonished with how such minute details each had their own name. My last anatomy class was comparative as a sophomore or so, but I switched majors that semester and didn't finish it.

Intimidating...

:oops:

Doxie said:
The class I had was 8 hours, so I don't see why it wouldn't
be as good as the four hour class OU is offering
I can almost promise that your eight hour class is not going to cut it, if it didn't cover children and infants. You will probably also have needed some type of course over AED. Adult CPR certification isn't enough for a healthcare provider. The procedure for children and infants is similar, but different. However, is still won't hurt to call and check with the school. Just don't get your hopes, though. I bet they will require you to take another course.

speedo542 said:
I can almost promise that your eight hour class is not going to cut it, if it didn't cover children and infants. You will probably also have needed some type of course over AED. Adult CPR certification isn't enough for a healthcare provider. The procedure for children and infants is similar, but different. However, is still won't hurt to call and check with the school. Just don't get your hopes, though. I bet they will require you to take another course.

the bls class was only 2 hours

It is good to be back, I just returned from a three-week treck across the Pacific Northwest. This med school thing is starting to hit home and I have to admit I am really getting nervous. How about everyone else? For anyone who has taken the BLS course, did you find the book necessary? I signed up for the class only, and was told that the buying the book really wasn’t worth the money.

Ginz20 said:
It is good to be back, I just returned from a three-week treck across the Pacific Northwest. This med school thing is starting to hit home and I have to admit I am really getting nervous. How about everyone else? For anyone who has taken the BLS course, did you find the book necessary? I signed up for the class only, and was told that the buying the book really wasn’t worth the money.

I think we're all pretty nervous :) The anticipation is what's killing me more than anything-- I think I'll be fine once school actually starts. I took the BLS course last week, and the book is absolutely, totally, completely NOT necessary. I definitely wouldn't buy it :)

WhoisJohnGalt said:
I think we're all pretty nervous :) The anticipation is what's killing me more than anything-- I think I'll be fine once school actually starts. I took the BLS course last week, and the book is absolutely, totally, completely NOT necessary. I definitely wouldn't buy it :)

yea i agree. you have no time to read the book anyways during hte class. the test isnt that bad, there are some tricky questions due to poor wording, but save the money and dont get the book. brett lectures for like 30 minutes and then you take the test right after that.

oudoc08 said:
Ad_Sharp might disagree with me, but remember he's independently wealthy.
He's jets down to his own private island with like 10 honeys every weekend, sips pina coladas, and works on his tan. :)

......The man who's married to the pharmacist says to the man who's married to the school teacher :rolleyes:. You keep talking like this, I'll have some kind of reputation to live up to. One thing that I've learned-set expectations low so that when you do well, everyone is amazed.

Thanks oudoc and Ifesiam for the advice. Does the school provide a printer for us in the Mod? If not, is it a good idea to have one in our mod?

Metaphysician said:
Thanks oudoc and Ifesiam for the advice. Does the school provide a printer for us in the Mod? If not, is it a good idea to have one in our mod?
Having a printer is a good idea. The anatomy dissection guides are all online, so somebody needs to print it out and bring it to lab, or you'll have no idea what to do. A nice way to not get in that situation is to have a printer in the mod. If I remember right, the school doesn't provide the printers (there are two networked PC's in the each mod however).
I think the way it works is, the school will let you install one if the mod comes up with one. Seeing how you can get a cheap B&W inkjet for less than 50.00, everybody in the mod can chip in a couple of bucks, and you're in business. Same goes for paper and replacement cartridges.
Printers are also nice for printing out syllabi pages, PBL assignments that you waited until 5 minutes before the session to lookup :), and other random things. Just be nice, and make sure your print jobs have either all finished, or that you cancel them before you log off.
If you leave a pending print job that has an error and don't cancel it, the next person to log on will try to print and be unable because the system is hung on yours. Unfortunately, it also won't let them cancel the job because of log-on issues. So, they have to track you down and have you come back, log-on and cancel.
If they don't know what happened and leave instead, the next person will have to not only find them, but you as well, and have each person cancel their print-jobs. You can see what a pain this could be if 10 people have failed print jobs.
It was a little frustrating a couple of times, and even though one person in the mod is assigned "computer adminstrator", they didn't have "administrator" privileges, and thus couldn't clear the problems.

Perhaps that will be worked out. We'll see.

ad_sharp said:
......The man who's married to the pharmacist says to the man who's married to the school teacher :rolleyes:. You keep talking like this, I'll have some kind of reputation to live up to. One thing that I've learned-set expectations low so that when you do well, everyone is amazed.

Ahh. KhanFuscius say:
Never be A student and get C, when you can be F student and get C.
Parents much prouder of the latter.

***GONG***

That's awesome. I feel for the guy.

lfesiam said:
poop, i already checked the "i plan to buy the book" option...
oh well.
I took the BLS last week. I had also planned on buying the book. They didn't have the book and one of the 2nd years there told me if the book had been there he wouldn't let me buy it... Point, you won't get stuck buying the book.

Frogmed said:
I took the BLS last week. I had also planned on buying the book. They didn't have the book and one of the 2nd years there told me if the book had been there he wouldn't let me buy it... Point, you won't get stuck buying the book.

That's good to hear... Now I don't feel guilty about not choosing the 'buy the book' option :D
(<----- I'm so proud of myself! I just taught myself how to make my picture of my kitties fit as my avatar! That's pretty good for someone who is practically computer illiterate! just don't ask how long it took me...)

If anybody sees a small Cessna flying overhead from Wiley Post in the general direction of Ardmore tomorrow around 1:00pm, that's me! 1st cross-country, and excited as hell. Night cross country on Fri., and then solo cross-country next week.
Flying rules.

oudoc08 said:
If anybody sees a small Cessna flying overhead from Wiley Post in the general direction of Ardmore tomorrow around 1:00pm, that's me! 1st cross-country, and excited as hell. Night cross country on Fri., and then solo cross-country next week.
Flying rules.

Good luck! (Break a leg? :confused: ) Just don't forget the St. Christopher medallion. :thumbup:

Napoleon1801 said:
Good luck! (Break a leg? :confused: ) Just don't forget the St. Christopher medallion. :thumbup:

Ah. The patron saint of travelers. To tell you the truth, after flying for a little while, I feel in a lot more danger driving back and forth to the airport than I ever do flying.

Several of your upper classmates have written regarding experiences at your school. I am sorry to hear about your situation and the conditions. Some of you may be violated.

In case you kids run into any difficulty or know anybody, there's expert help and something you can do about it.

You poor souls. Is there not any other place you can start school?

Seek free government and experienced help, pm me.

-doc
Retired M.D.
USC, '72