University of Oklahoma Class of 2009 Go Sooners!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
give me a break.

Members don't see this ad.

i know there are some golfers out there. anyone ever hit the adams redline 460 driver, not the rpm (which i think is just the new version), but the regular 460cc redline? i'm thinking about buying one on closeout but the i can't hit a demo because the stores only carry the rpm version now. the thing looks like a tank on a stick.

Then-

Let's change topics. Which of you are going to participate in the geriatrics prematriculation program and the family medicine rotations before school starts?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't mean to start a war or anything, but could anyone just sort of casually mention what's so controversial about AMSA? I went to their website and glanced through the "issues" section and nothing jumped out at me, but I definitely didn't read every one... is there any way that, without debating it, someone could just tell me what makes it controversial?

EDIT: A PM would be fine, if it seems too tense to bring up on the thread.

oudoc08 said:
In orientation, 1/2 of you will be assigned to Anatomy group A, and 1/2 to group B. Group A will do the odd # labs, Group B the evens. There are 8 total students assigned to each cadaver, thus each group has 4 students.

It's a little confusing to describe, but in a nutshell, you will be present each lab period, but only dissecting every other lab period. (During the days you don't dissect, you spend the first 15 minutes or so demonstrating to the dissecting group, what you did the previous lab period. Then you can leave and go study.

Thanks for the clarification. That makes total sense, now.

WhoisJohnGalt said:
I don't mean to start a war or anything, but could anyone just sort of casually mention what's so controversial about AMSA? I went to their website and glanced through the "issues" section and nothing jumped out at me, but I definitely didn't read every one... is there any way that, without debating it, someone could just tell me what makes it controversial?

OUdoc would be good to answer some questions that you might have (bear in mind that it will be coming from a conservative). You should PM him. Perhaps that most controversial issue that AMSA advocates for is a single payer (government) socialized healthcare system. We don't need to discuss this here though. You might want to just do a search on the allo and pre-allo forums because this has all been beaten to death already.

ad_sharp said:
OUdoc would be good to answer some questions that you might have (bear in mind that it will be coming from a conservative). You should PM him. Perhaps that most controversial issue that AMSA advocates for is a single payer (government) socialized healthcare system. We don't need to discuss this here though. You might want to just do a search on the allo and pre-allo forums because this has all been beaten to death already.

i would also be happy to answer any specific questions, not that i'm any more of an expert than the next guy.

WhoisJohnGalt said:

It got covered pretty well in the Oklahoma Anyone? thread in the pre-allo forum.

ad_sharp said:
Then-

Let's change topics. Which of you are going to participate in the geriatrics prematriculation program and the family medicine rotations before school starts?

Doing the geriatrics prematric here :) going to be a crazy day for me, see my last few posts.

how was the experience adsharp? (i'm doing it because i had some experience in taking care of my grandma when she was fighting stomach cancer)

Dr Turninkoff said:
give me a break.

I apologize for my comment.

There's nothing inately wrong with controversial topics. The trouble arises when the parties discussing it get hostile, inflammatory, and irrational in their disagreements. Not that you, or anyone, need my permission to bring it back up here, but feel free to discuss it again. Just keep in mind that politics, particularly when it comes to how they affect our prospective profession, is a sensitive subject, and as evidenced in how it is addressed in the mainstream media not everyone knows how to have a civil discussion.

:)

I appreciate the replies. I read through the pre-allo thread, so there is no need to continue rehashing this unless you really want to :) To change the subject a bit, is anyone else starting to get INSANELY nervous?

Amxcvbcv said:
I apologize for my comment.

There's nothing inately wrong with controversial topics. The trouble arises when the parties discussing it get hostile, inflammatory, and irrational in their disagreements. Not that you, or anyone, need my permission to bring it back up here, but feel free to discuss it again. Just keep in mind that politics, particularly when it comes to how they affect our prospective profession, is a sensitive subject, and as evidenced in how it is addressed in the mainstream media not everyone knows how to have a civil discussion.

:)

no, i understand. no apology necessary. i really don't want to discuss the politics associated with amsa in this thread. i was just letting people who might not have read every post on the pre-allo thread know that amsa has a deal for a netter's atlas. whether or not someone joins or their reasons thereof are not my business nor concern.

WhoisJohnGalt said:
To change the subject a bit, is anyone else starting to get INSANELY nervous?
I'll raise my hand to that!! I'm worried I may start having mini panic attacks soon... :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
ad_sharp said:
I don't know if they've told you, but the "free" Netters is only given if you apply for a credit card that AMSA offers (I can't remember which bank backs it). At the beginning of last year, I was going to join AMSA and pay for my Netters instead of doing the credit card. I don't think that we need to argue about amsa anymore (restrain yourself OUdoc :) ), but I would suggest doing some homework on the organization before joining up to make sure that your personal beliefs line up with those of the organization.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

By request of ad_sharp, here's your "homework".

Without rehasing political arguments for the umpteenth time, here's AMSA's policy sheet for review to make sure that you know what you're supporting if you join.

http://www.amsa.org/election2004/comparison.pdf

hey guys, so I called jackie, she said she'll let me move in a day early on sunday!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) yea! no draggin' my bags with me all day at the VA for the prematric geriatric program.

whew!

anyways, she was very nice & understanding about my situation,
one of the reason why I like oklahomans ;) "most" people here in the northeast could careless.

as for politics, i'm a middle of the road- laid back type, it's not on the top of my "important" list (don't get me wrong I still vote but I vote base on the person not party line). but will look into the AMSA thing-ma-jig.

oudoc08 said:
Ladies and Gentlemen,

By request of ad_sharp, here's your "homework".

Without rehasing political arguments for the umpteenth time, here's AMSA's policy sheet for review to make sure that you know what you're supporting if you join.

http://www.amsa.org/election2004/comparison.pdf

Oops, sorry. Didn't read the rest of the replys.

"I, oudoc08, do hereby solemnly swear not to engage in any more political discourse as pertains to the aforementioned AMSA for the remainder of the page :D "

lfesiam said:
hey guys, so I called jackie, she said she'll let me move in a day early on sunday!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) yea! no draggin' my bags with me all day at the VA for the prematric geriatric program.

whew!

anyways, she was very nice & understanding about my situation,
one of the reason why I like oklahomans ;) "most" people here in the northeast could careless.

as for politics, i'm a middle of the road- laid back type, it's not on the top of my "important" list (don't get me wrong I still vote but I vote base on the person not party line). but will look into the AMSA thing-ma-jig.

You'll like living at the UV. Jackie is a great apt. manager, and if you have any problems, she gets you taken care of ASAP. When I moved in my AC didn't work, and she had somebody in fixing it in less than an hour.

Where should we park tomorrow for the BSL class? Hopefully ill get to meet some of you at the class.

pbehzad said:
Where should we park tomorrow for the BSL class? Hopefully ill get to meet some of you at the class.

You'll probably be parking in the conference lot behind the union. I think that's where you parked for your interviews.

WhoisJohnGalt said:
Am I missing out by not living in UV? Are most people living there, or is it just disproportionately represented on SDN?

I think that the representation here is probably a little disproportionate. I didn't live there, and I think that only one person in my mod lived there. Most of your class will be driving in every morning. You're not alone.

ad_sharp said:
I think that the representation here is probably a little disproportionate. I didn't live there, and I think that only one person in my mod lived there. Most of your class will be driving in every morning. You're not alone.

I agree. I lived there for about a month. I had a rooommate that was a nursing student. He withdrew from school for family reasons, and apparently (I didn't know this prior), that lets him out of his lease contract.
The other roommate (me) then had 14 days to decide 1 of 3 options:
1: Find another roommate to pay the other half.
2: Pay full monthly rent and live alone
3: Move out within 14 days, cancel lease without penalty.

I chose #3, as the apts. are entirely too small for the amount of rent if you don't have a use for the other bdrm. I now live in Edmond, in a much bigger, brand new 2 bdrm, for less rent.

I would guess out of 150 students, there were probably 10% or so that lived at the UV, so no you're not missing out. They're close, and for the first semester, that's nice, especially for changing after anatomy lab, etc., and just being in close proximity, but for the cost difference, etc., living off campus is fine.

To Ad Sharp, OUdoc08, and any other MS I+ at OU,

What was your favorite MS I class?

What was your least favorite class?

Most challenging class?

Least challenging class?

Worst experience in MS I? (advice for avoiding it? :p)

Best experience in MS I?

etc...

Any other advice to give other than what you've mentioned so far? ;)

To Ad Sharp, OUdoc08, and any other MS I+ at OU,

What was your favorite MS I class?

Nuero

What was your least favorite class?

Tie: Biochem and HB

Most challenging class?

Biochem (I'm a little unusual here)

Least challenging class?

PCM followed by Histology

Worst experience in MS I? (advice for avoiding it? :p)

Not sleeping the first test block. (study and be a little confident)

Best experience in MS I?

Meeting a bunch of really cool people and learning the inverted five finger closed palm exploding heart of death technique (I'm now a level 98 Ninja).

etc...

Don't take yourself too seriously. Put things in perspective. Learn your strengths and weaknesses and be comfortable with them. Stop, drop, and roll. Give up sugared soft drinks-they'll kill ya.

[To Ad Sharp, OUdoc08, and any other MS I+ at OU,

What was your favorite MS I class? Physiology

What was your least favorite class? HB

Most challenging class? Biochem

Least challenging class? Neuro (just kidding). I'd say PCM, but it's not really a class you study for, so it's a tossup, but I'd say Histo or HB.

Worst experience in MS I? The feeling a couple of days before almost every test block when you don't think you can cram one more piece of info into your brain. (advice for avoiding it? :p) Just study your material everyday, don't fall behind, and even though you have this feeling, you'll do fine.

Best experience in MS I? The great sense of relief after every test block, and celebrating with friends.

etc...

Don't screw with the parking guys. Even if you drive a different car than one registered w/ the parking office, and park in the covered pt. parking, they somehow figure you out after a couple of days, and leave you a green envelope under your wiper (Not me of course, but a "friend") ;)

So, since we're prodding the MSII's for info, I have another question to add... Where did you find was the best place to study? Home, library, student union, the bars (j/k)... etc???

It was great to see everybody at the BLS class. I was the brunette in the pink shirt, since I didn't announce my SDN handle :) I'm excited to meet everyone else!

Cricket09 said:
So, since we're prodding the MSII's for info, I have another question to add... Where did you find was the best place to study? Home, library, student union, the bars (j/k)... etc???

I like studying in a variety of places. Sometimes home, (though if you're anything like me, you'll find it isn't the most efficient place to study, since there's always something that needs to be done other than studying), sometimes library or coffee shops, and yes I and a couple of other MS1's did spend the evening before our PCM final "studying" at the Bricktown Brewery, (followed by a couple of other places later :cool:. (But that's a story for disorientation :laugh: .

I'm a little different that most in that I don't do well with study groups of any size. I do much better alone, that way I can cover the material I'm comfortable with quickly, and spend more time on the confusing parts, without having to be concerned about someone else's pace. That's just me though, and from what I gather, not the strategy of the majority.

Ultimately, you'll have to find a study strategy that works for you, but don't let anyone tell you that you have to study in groups, or that you have to spend hours on end in the mod, etc.
If you cover in 2 hours sitting in a booth at Chuck E Cheese, what someone else takes 5 hours to cover sitting in a group at the library, at the end of the day, it doesn't matter, because you both covered the material.

Whether you cover it 1800 times and spend 23 hours a day studying trying to score every last point on the test, or whether you realize that a 90 is the same "A" as a 99, and thus reserve for yourself some sanity each day, is simply a measure of your analitude (who likes that word besides me :)), and is part of what makes each med student different.

oudoc08 said:
I like studying in a variety of places. Sometimes home, (though if you're anything like me, you'll find it isn't the most efficient place to study, since there's always something that needs to be done other than studying), sometimes library or coffee shops, and yes I and a couple of other MS1's did spend the evening before our PCM final "studying" at the Bricktown Brewery, (followed by a couple of other places later :cool:. (But that's a story for disorientation :laugh: .

I'm a little different that most in that I don't do well with study groups of any size. I do much better alone, that way I can cover the material I'm comfortable with quickly, and spend more time on the confusing parts, without having to be concerned about someone else's pace. That's just me though, and from what I gather, not the strategy of the majority.

Ultimately, you'll have to find a study strategy that works for you, but don't let anyone tell you that you have to study in groups, or that you have to spend hours on end in the mod, etc.
If you cover in 2 hours sitting in a booth at Chuck E Cheese, what someone else takes 5 hours to cover sitting in a group at the library, at the end of the day, it doesn't matter, because you both covered the material.

Whether you cover it 1800 times and spend 23 hours a day studying trying to score every last point on the test, or whether you realize that a 90 is the same "A" as a 99, and thus reserve for yourself some sanity each day, is simply a measure of your analitude (who likes that word besides me :)), and is part of what makes each med student different.

Thanks, and nice word :D

Have either of you MS2 fellas heard anymore about "disorientation"? :p j/k. I think the due date for turning in our mentor forms was a couple days ago.

WhoisJohnGalt said:
It was great to see everybody at the BLS class. I was the brunette in the pink shirt, since I didn't announce my SDN handle :) I'm excited to meet everyone else!
I agree, talking to everyone about med school was fun. Noone in my group had been posting on SDN, so I didn't meet any SDNers :( . I'm excited about orientation...not excited about professional dress.
A friend gave me a stethoscope as a gift. I've had alot of fun listening to my family's heart and stomach. :laugh:

Cricket09 said:

The library is a great place to study. For people who are cheap like me, you can check out a laptop. There is a ton of desk space. The 3rd floor is used for group study and the 4th is for individual quiet study. They have little rooms that you can lock yourself into to get away from all distractions. I did about 50% at the library and about 50% of my study at home. However, during the exam block, I study at home until about 11:00 pm and wake at 4:00 am and drive into the mod and study there until test time. The last 30-45 minutes, I don't look at anything and try to joke and talk with everyone about things that are unrelated to the test. Your habits will differ. One thing that I learned last year is that everyone studies differently. I, like oudoc, am a lone studier. I like to study alone and then get with one other person (no more than one) and quiz the crap out of each other to make sure that we both understand the material well. During the first test block the biggest challenge is learning how to study the material, not the material itself.

Napoleon1801 said:
Have either of you MS2 fellas heard anymore about "disorientation"? :p j/k. I think the due date for turning in our mentor forms was a couple days ago.

I have no idea what they have planned. I'll find out when you do.

ad_sharp said:
The library is a great place to study. For people who are cheap like me, you can check out a laptop. There is a ton of desk space. The 3rd floor is used for group study and the 4th is for individual quiet study. They have little rooms that you can lock yourself into to get away from all distractions. I did about 50% at the library and about 50% of my study at home. However, during the exam block, I study at home until about 11:00 pm and wake at 4:00 am and drive into the mod and study there until test time. The last 30-45 minutes, I don't look at anything and try to joke and talk with everyone about things that are unrelated to the test. Your habits will differ. One thing that I learned last year is that everyone studies differently. I, like oudoc, am a lone studier. I like to study alone and then get with one other person (no more than one) and quiz the crap out of each other to make sure that we both understand the material well. During the first test block the biggest challenge is learning how to study the material, not the material itself.

Well said.

Frogmed said:
I agree, talking to everyone about med school was fun. Noone in my group had been posting on SDN, so I didn't meet any SDNers :( . I'm excited about orientation...not excited about professional dress.
A friend gave me a stethoscope as a gift. I've had alot of fun listening to my family's heart and stomach. :laugh:

Yeah..."professional dress" boo that...its too hot for that crap! Who are we dressing up for, eachother??? crazy 'dis'orientation :rolleyes:

i'm not a big fan of ties in the summer..man...it's going to be hot as heck.

see u guys real soon!

i'm surprise that SDN is known by only a few people. =T

lfesiam said:
i'm not a big fan of ties in the summer..man...it's going to be hot as heck.

see u guys real soon!

i'm surprise that SDN is known by only a few people. =T

It's funny to see everyone a few weeks after orientation. All of the guys look like members of ZZ Top, and the girls look like they put on their makeup during an earthquake. Looks are high on the priority list for the first couple of weeks but are quickly moved to the back burner once the semester gets going. Just remember to shower from time to time.

WANNA PLAY DOCTOR? PASTLE SAMPLES:

wanna blue
wannabfront.jpg
wannabback.jpg

wanna green
wannagfront.jpg
wannagback.jpg

wanna yellow
wannayfront.jpg
wannayback.jpg

hehe,
wanna nurse
wannanursefront.jpg
wannanurseback.jpg

wanna pink
wannapfront.jpg
wannapback.jpg

I've got one over there as well, but I didn't take the time to show it in other colors yet. ;)

Enjoy!

Lfesiam and I can hopefully both get our designs picked. :p

ad_sharp said:
It's funny to see everyone a few weeks after orientation. All of the guys look like members of ZZ Top, and the girls look like they put on their makeup during an earthquake. Looks are high on the priority list for the first couple of weeks but are quickly moved to the back burner once the semester gets going. Just remember to shower from time to time.

Yeah, as soon as you figure out that you're going to pretty much spend the first semester studying, and smelling like formalin no matter how many showers you take, you quickly let yourself go.

As an added benefit though, it becomes much easier to distinguish the medical and dental students. (The dental students have the matching pretty scrubs, big ****eatin' smiles and spiky hair). Some of the med students will look like you took them out behind the bar, beat the hell out of them, and then told them you shot their dog, burned their car, and screwed their mama.

(oh yeah, and then dunked them in the cadaver tank).

However, as a favor to the rest of us, please at least try to take a shower every once in awhile. It at least takes the edge off of the "ode de corpse" :laugh:

ad_sharp said:

A shower AND makeup??? That's asking an awful lot... :D

Cricket09 said:
A shower AND makeup??? That's asking an awful lot... :D

Yeah, those freakin showers get you, don't they?

Are we supposed to wear a coat to orientation or just a tie? Also, what kind of food is provided at the white coat ceremony?

Amx,

that's a great idea! and no it's not nerdy, i think all of us who got this far gotta have some kind of "nerdy" qualities, don't you think so? hehe

lfesiam said:
Amx,

that's a great idea! and no it's not nerdy, i think all of us who got this far gotta have some kind of "nerdy" qualities, don't you think so? hehe

Proud member of the "nerd herd"

Amxcvbcv said:
Lfesiam,

This may seem incredibly nerdy, but we could go for a class T-shirt if none of this SDN stuff pans out. ;)

Last year, the first and second year classes both designed their own OU Med T-shirts. I'm sure that there will be more this year.

Cowboy_fan said:
Yeah, those freakin showers get you, don't they?

Are we supposed to wear a coat to orientation or just a tie? Also, what kind of food is provided at the white coat ceremony?

Just a tie. I don't recall there being any food at the white coat last year. The anatomical donor lunch has good food though.