University of Oklahoma Class of 2009 Go Sooners!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ad_sharp said:
This is the truth. Everyone who gets into medical school is used to being at the top of the class and doing well on everything. It comes as quiet a shock when A's are no longer automatic, and B's come at the expense of hours upon hours of studying. Point is-There is a top of the class and there is a bottom in any med school. Those on the bottom were near the top just a few months ago. The change can be a little rough. The best thing that you can do for each other is be supportive. If you happen to make straight A's, don't advertise it-just be happy with your preformance and help those who may not be doing so well. Don't be discouraged at this point. In most cases, grades reflect your work ethic. You determine your grade. Set goals and work just hard enough to get to them.

Very good advice.
Especially the last sentence. One thing that is a little bit of a shock for people, is that the grade you get, is the grade you get. No curves, no gimmees.
There is an exam review committee that will be formed for your class that can take disputed questions to the professors for reevaluation. Some prof's are better than others than giving back points, but that's the only slack you get.

Just remember, a 89.5 is just as good of an A as a 100. Thus, my advice, don't kill yourself trying to cram every last fact in your head in order to get the last point.
Give yourself frequent breaks, get a hobby, go to bar tour, take a walk, lift weights, whatever, just try to maintain some sembelance of a normal life, and it'll make the difference between having a great experience in med school, and being miserable.

By the way, just made my first long cross-country solo flight this morning. OKC to Mcalester to Muskogee and back to OKC.
Took about 3 hours including 3 landings, and I averaged about 140mph for the 300+ mile trip.
Driving blows. :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

oudoc08 said:
Just remember, a 89.5 is just as good of an A as a 100. Thus, my advice, don't kill yourself trying to cram every last fact in your head in order to get the last point.

That is going to be so hard for me to get used to; I come from a school that does +/- grading (where one point really is the difference between a B+ and an A-). Congrats on your flight!

WhoisJohnGalt said:
That is going to be so hard for me to get used to; I come from a school that does +/- grading (where one point really is the difference between a B+ and an A-). Congrats on your flight!

yea my school was also +/- system and i hated it. Especially when you are really close to getting the next higher grade. Oh well, it all worked out in the end.

Members don't see this ad :)
pbehzad said:
yea my school was also +/- system and i hated it. Especially when you are really close to getting the next higher grade. Oh well, it all worked out in the end.

*shrug* I think it's good and it's bad. If I bust my ass to get an 88, it's nice to get some recognition for that versus an 80. But, it does make the deviations closer. Oh well, I guess we've both got to get used to it, either way :)

wish it was pass/fail =P

so they didn't check ids at all at the student union gym =) I heard the MS2 is takin' us bar hopping around bricktown during orientation.

too tired to post an extended update of today's experience bleh, have a 1-3 page paper to type too...

think i'm going to take a nap, waking up at 7 everyday is not fun man...

lfesiam said:
I heard the MS2 is takin' us bar hopping around bricktown during orientation.

I hope my non-alcohol consuming nature doesn't make for situations that are too awkward. I'm not even in the habit of going to bars. :p I think I've been once maybe twice since I turned 21.

Amxcvbcv said:
I hope my non-alcohol consuming nature doesn't make for situations that are too awkward. I'm not even in the habit of going to bars. :p I think I've been once maybe twice since I turned 21.

dont worry, im not a drinker either but i still have a good time (religious reasons). anyways, im always down for going out or just chillin and smoking the hookah (im planning on bringing one by the way).

There are many members of my class that do not consume alcohol. In fact, they probably out number those who do. Bar tour is definately an overstated occurrence on our campus. The average night only has a few people. The only time that many people go is directly after test block. You won't be out of place if you don't join in. It's all up to you.

lfesiam said:
wish it was pass/fail =P

I had the same thought when I started until I realized that most schools with a pass/fail system had "high pass," "pass," "low pass," and "fail" as their grades. Are these really any different from A's, B's, and C's? They tried a few years ago to move to a pass/fail type system, but the students resisted it. How are you going to make yourself stand out in the crowd when all you get is a pass/fail grade? I think that they stayed with this system because it allows you to put a solid number on your GPA and class ranking when you apply for residency. Although at times, it would be nice to only worry about making a 70. The worst thing is, like OUdoc mentioned, the person that gets a 99 average gets the same thing as a person who made an 89.5.

WhoisJohnGalt said:
Our list didn't mention a stethoscope... does that mean we won't need one? If we do, is there a cheaper place around here to get them than AllHeart? (For comparison, a Cardio III is $121 + $11 S & H)

I just got a Cardio III today for a graduation present and it's making me a hypochondriac. Is that a murmur I hear? :eek:

Do you generally have a good idea how you're going to perform prior to the exams?

Or is it generally a lesson in humility? Demoralizing?

I realize tests on their own can be anxiety inducing, but how did you guys feel going into your first test block?

I've heard mention of quizzes for anatomy, but do the other classes do that?

I hope this post isn't too vague. ;)

I also hope it's not too premature. I was just driving home this afternoon and the questions popped into my head.

On an unrelated note, I spent a few days with my uncle. He's an aircraft mechanic at SOSU, and the flying bug has bitten me again. Damn I want to go flying again soon!

Also, I was discussing with my wife what I plan to wear to orientation next week, and she asked a humorous question.

Do slacker docs wear Docker slacks? :rolleyes:

Yes, things are just that corny at our house.

Amxcvbcv said:
Do you generally have a good idea how you're going to perform prior to the exams?

Or is it generally a lesson in humility? Demoralizing?

I realize tests on their own can be anxiety inducing, but how did you guys feel going into your first test block?

I've heard mention of quizzes for anatomy, but do the other classes do that?

You'll have minis in both anatomy and biochem. If you do well on those, you'll most likely do well on the test. The questions are very similar to the real thing. They give you the quiz to let you know how you stack up. They can be a little demoralizing if you're not prepared. I suggest that you hit the ground running because doing well on minis is the best thing for you to focus on the first couple of weeks.

How did I feel when I was in the first test block? I was tired. I felt terrible, but I think it's normal. You just aren't used to it by that time. That being said, test blocks are never fun, and you can feel the tension build as you get closer. However, it's all over in one week. Then, you can be happy for a few realitively slow weeks before doing it over again.

Members don't see this ad :)
lfesiam said:
Well, I was thinking of starting a tae kwon do club to teach new members who want to relieve stress/ learn self defense (like you need any in Oklahoma haha) or people who stopped at yellow or green belts and wanted to keep training. Like one session a week or something... If i have time haha, if u guys want to learn nunchucks, pm me!... :)

I'd be on board for some martial arts at our school. Lately I've had a friend teaching me the basics of brazilian jiu jitsu and I'm really enjoying it so far. That is some heavy duty exercise and I think it be an awesome stressbuster if a bunch of the campus got together on it. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I didn't see any physiology books on the supply list but I keep hearing that the costanzo BRS book is good. When will we need that? Spring???

Dr Turninkoff said:
I didn't see any physiology books on the supply list but I keep hearing that the costanzo BRS book is good. When will we need that? Spring???

Costanzo's books are great, but yes, you won't need it until spring. Phys. is one of the classes I would highly recommend getting the BRS book for. The big book is nice also, a fairly easy read, and explains it in more detail than the BRS, but I have both, and I'd say you only need the BRS.

I had problems with mine in that the pages kept falling out, so I took it to Kinko's and they spiral bound it for me. I figure I'll have it back out again before boards, so might as well.

You'll get another book list for next semester (neuro, phys., etc.). The good news is, the only other book you'll need for the rest of the year, is the Haines Neuro atlas. We had a neuro science text that I bought, and thought was absolutely useless, but the atlas was fairly helpful in learning all the crosssectional stuff in the spinal cord, brainstem, brain, etc.

done with the prematric program! what a great experience, no matter what fields you decided to go into.... you'll be much better prepared to work with older patients (recognizing their special needs & different care options) totally recommend it to the 2010 class!

just wondering, do you guys know the different scrubs colors assigned to each school??? like purple for nursing, green for med, blue for dent???

lfesiam said:
done with the prematric program! what a great experience, no matter what fields you decided to go into.... you'll be much better prepared to work with older patients (recognizing their special needs & different care options) totally recommend it to the 2010 class!

just wondering, do you guys know the different scrubs colors assigned to each school??? like purple for nursing, green for med, blue for dent???

Only the dental students have scrub colors assigned, and they have a different color for whateverr year they are in. D1-Silver, D2-Porcelain, D3-Gold, etc :D

The med students are only assigned to look tired, sleep-deprived and a tad grungy at times :). If you see them in clean nice-smelling scrubs, they're MS3/MS4 and prob. belong to whatever dept. (surg., ob, ed, etc.) that they're in at the time.

If they smell like a rep from the "ode de formalin" perfume company, they're straight from the anatomy lab. (You can wear whatever you want to lab, some pick scrubs, but there's no assigned color).

Actually, the individualized look is probably more of a effort (subconscious or otherwise) to distance from the ever-smiley, empty backpack totin', dental students that infiltrate our beloved lecture halls during embryology. Not to mention, they show up like ants at med class functions, and steal off with food. The last involved two of them sneaking off with a plate of hotdogs/hamburgers, muttering "We should come to these things more often".
I hope they chipped their perfect teeth on a piece of ground up bone.

But I'm not bitter. :D

(I don't know about nursing)

I went to Ratcliffe's today. Below is a price list for most of the books and other things required:
Dissection kit - $27.95 (only had large pair of scissors w/ blunt end and one metel scalpel handle)
Scissors with two pointed ends - $2.95
Lab Coat (long)- $21.96
Surgical blades - $.45
NitriDerm gloves - $14.95
Skulls - $35.00, $115.00 $250.00 (most expensive one looked real with all the need to know areas marked - cheapest one looked like something one could buy at a party store for Halloween)

Chungs Gross Anatomy $32.95
Langman's Medical Embryology $54.95
Lippincott's Biochemistry $44.95
Netter's Atlas $69.95 (ouch :( )
Human Behavior Syllabus $12.95

All of the prices are for new books. They only used book they had was the Psych.

OK seriously, do NOT buy your books at Ratcliff's. Go to Amazon.com and look up the book you want. Most likely, someone is selling a very good condition used book for about $20 less than the new one. I bought a ton of my textbooks there, some still in their plastic wrap, for very cheap. I've also sold a lot of textbooks on there (something you should do as soon as you don't need the book so you're not faced with 4 years' worth of outdated books).

All I would buy for your first semester is BRS Anatomy, Netters Atlas, and Lippincott's Biochemistry. Everything else will be covered at length in either your syllabus or your notegroups.

Save your money!

What do you think about the skulls? Does each mod need a $200+ skull? If we do, is there a cheaper place to buy?

Frogmed said:
What do you think about the skulls? Does each mod need a $200+ skull? If we do, is there a cheaper place to buy?

Earlier in the thread, it was mentioned that the 2nd year students from each mod pass down the skulls and the 1st year students buy them some food.

Is it a problem to miss a day of lab? I was looking at taking a trip and missing the first monday after the oct 31-nov 3 test block. Any current students know if this is usually a problem?

Dr Turninkoff said:
Is it a problem to miss a day of lab? I was looking at taking a trip and missing the first monday after the oct 31-nov 3 test block. Any current students know if this is usually a problem?

oudoc posted about this on the Oklahoma Anyone thread-- he said it's not a huge deal

WhoisJohnGalt said:
oudoc posted about this on the Oklahoma Anyone thread-- he said it's not a huge deal

As long as a person puts in their fair share of work the rest of the time, and doesn't make it a habit to miss lab frequently, nobody's going to say anything if you have to miss one or two for something important.

I was wondering if anyone could give me the break down of how the white coat ceremony will go. My family is wanting to know what the attire will be, and what the reception will be like. If anyone could give me some info it would be great.

Ginz20 said:
I was wondering if anyone could give me the break down of how the white coat ceremony will go. My family is wanting to know what the attire will be, and what the reception will be like. If anyone could give me some info it would be great.

Nice to formal.

Cheese trays.

to heck with that, i'm going in scrubs, hehehe

(got my maroon OU scrubs at the bookstore on friday whoo hooo!!!)

anyone into acoustic guitar?? just got my ovation semi acoustic/electric AE68, songs request? one thing i have to start learning is country i guess hehehe..

otherwise, indie/classic rock all the way man heh :D

chilled with no1cub today, thanks for showing me around the norman campus buddy, i definitely have to taste some local brews sometime.

I just worked my last weekend at the ER. It turned out to be about the best time I've had there.

The highlight came around 1-2 in the morning. We had an 83 year old woman that came in via EMSA with respiratory distress. The doc ended up intubating her and also putting in a central line. In the process of putting in a central line, though, he nicked the pleural space and caused a pneumothorax on her left side. Even though it was incredibly obvious on the x-ray, I was still proud that I could recognize what it was. :p Anyway... once they got her in the ICU he went over to put in a chest, and I tagged along. That was incredibly cool to watch!

I'm going to be a doctor! I will be able to do stuff like that!

I am stoked!

:D

lfesiam said:
to heck with that, i'm going in scrubs, hehehe

(got my maroon OU scrubs at the bookstore on friday whoo hooo!!!)

anyone into acoustic guitar?? just got my ovation semi acoustic/electric AE68, songs request? one thing i have to start learning is country i guess hehehe..

otherwise, indie/classic rock all the way man heh :D

chilled with no1cub today, thanks for showing me around the norman campus buddy, i definitely have to taste some local brews sometime.
Fellow musician here.

Fiddle since age 3.

Guitar since a little after that.
I have a '50's era Gibson J45 and a 70's model Martin D28 that live under the bed.
Also have a SRV series American strat that I play occ. After moving to OKC, don't get to play much.

Used to play mostly country about 10 years ago, it's actually why I moved to OK, and how I earned a living in the mid '90's, but
don't get to play much anymore with school and all. My tastes range in the "little bit of everything" (I have a mix CD with Sinatra, Kenny Chesney,
Disturbed, Nirvana, Merle Haggard, Motley Crue, and Beethoven).

The top, without fail, however is summed up in three words:

Ed Van Halen

oudoc8 - that's awesome dude, we should get together and play some blues sometime, one rhythm, one solo

for me, i listen to everything, r&b, blues, punk, trance, rock, pop...
but a rocker at heart hehehe

my current mix: (garden state soundtrack, cold play, queen, pink floyd, U2, gorillaz, weezer, nirvana, john mayer, norah jones, bon jovi, aerosmith, zepplin, ramones, green day, linkin park, the killers) + modern indie artists (underground)

yeaaaap.

do they have a pub with live gigs in bricktown? that's how I would like to spend my free nights on the weekends (which we won't have a lot of...):
1-2 good brews + good live music + good company = good times.

lfesiam said:
oudoc8 - that's awesome dude, we should get together and play some blues sometime, one rhythm, one solo hehe

Works for me. I think there's actually a few musicians in our class, but we never really got to playin'.

lfesiam said:
do they have a pub with live gigs in bricktown? that's how I would like to spend my free nights on the weekends (which we won't have a lot of...):
1-2 good brews + good live music + good company = good times.

There are several places in bricktown where you can catch some live music.
Bricktown Brewery
Tapwerks
Wormy Dog Saloon
Biting Sow - good blues
Bricktown Live
Green Door

There's also a Bricktown music festival the weekend of August 19th I believe. 2 days, 3 stages, about 20 or so bands.

putzeled said:
There are several places in bricktown where you can catch some live music.
Bricktown Brewery
Tapwerks
Wormy Dog Saloon
Biting Sow - good blues
Bricktown Live
Green Door

There's also a Bricktown music festival the weekend of August 19th I believe. 2 days, 3 stages, about 20 or so bands.

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET :cool:

just a random tidbit:

BONO of U2 was my graduation speaker =) He earned an honorable doctorate of law degree for his aid efforts in africa. Haha the parents didn't like his speech much though but I loved it, it was honest and truthful with curses here and there. The first speech that I didn't find myself falling asleep. Was hoping for him to begin with ..it's a beautiful day. but instead he started with:

"My name is Bono and I am a rock star. Don't get me too excited because I use four letter words when I get excited." hahahah

Bono.jpg

here's a link to his speech (for U2 fans out there)

lfesiam said:
hey amx,

6pm at Basic Sciences Education Building

Some more questions on the pre-orientation, orientation.
Anybody know what the dress code is? In other words, how casual can I be without looking like a total slacker. Is this thing meant for significant others as well? How long does it last? Is it in the BSEB by the big lecture hall?

Also, for anatomy the book/supplies list we got says a lab coat is required for the class. Is that really true? Can I not just wear some old cheapie scrubs that I can subsequently burn at the end of the semester?
Thanks

putzeled said:
Anybody know what the dress code is? In other words, how casual can I be without looking like a total slacker. Is this thing meant for significant others as well? How long does it last? Is it in the BSEB by the big lecture hall?

Don't know anything about dress code, but Michelle English told me that it's not a significant others sort of deal-- she said they were welcome, but they'd be bored.

I'm definitely curious about dress code and the lab coat question as well-- I don't want to buy something else that I'll just throw away, since I've already got scrubs and shoes on the list.

I can't believe that our first official school function is tomorrow... and then it's school and more school for the next FOUR years :eek: Anbody else freaking out a little?

WhoisJohnGalt said:
I can't believe that our first official school function is tomorrow... and then it's school and more school for the next FOUR years :eek: Anbody else freaking out a little?
Completely freaked. I believe my resting heart rate has increased by at least 20 beats.

putzeled said:

Also, for anatomy the book/supplies list we got says a lab coat is required for the class. Is that really true? Can I not just wear some old cheapie scrubs that I can subsequently burn at the end of the semester?
Thanks

You need a long lab coat without question. Scrubs are fine under the coat, but you MUST have a lab coat.

As well, here's a piece of free advice.
Chunk out the extra money for the purple nitrile gloves.

I double gloved in latex and my hands still reeked, but a single pair of purple nitriles pretty much keeps your hand smell to a moderate stench.

i'm actually looking forward to school, i worked all year last year, was pretty boring.

WhoisJohnGalt said:
Anbody else freaking out a little?
Definitely freaked out here!! Sometimes I feel like all the blood leaves my head when I remember that I am starting med school in a week. I'm getting tired of wondering what it's gonna be like... :scared:

I can't wait for things to finally get started. So far I've had like 20 people ask me, "Are you nervous??"

That's really hilarious considering we've already gotten past the MCAT, the AMCAS, the interview, and waiting the #@$^ing 4+ years to apply. We're in now, that's all that really matters to me at this point. :p

The worst is behind you. The applying, the paperwork, and the WAITING!
The challenge though is yet to come. However, with hard work, self-discipline, and forcing yourself to be a human being first, and a medical student second, you will find medical school to be an awesome experience.

Tomorrow starts the beginning of a journey that will find you accompanied by a supportive and cohesive group of people that are committed to helping you succeed in your endeavors.

You are here because you deserve to be here, and I congratulate you on your accomplishments.

Well wishes to each of you.

I hope to meet many of you tomorrow night. I won't be at the beginning of pre-(dis)orientation, but I'll be at the "get-together" at Tapwerks in Bricktown at 9:00p
Anyone else?

Tony Spatz

I think my stomach is eating itself a little more as each day passes....