University of Oklahoma Class of 2009 Go Sooners!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lfesiam

Regional Guy for Hire!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just want to say hi to all of my future classmates!

Members don't see this ad.

sup buddy. ill be joining you there next year. congrats on you acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
So has anyone found any student health insurance that is any better than what the school has with Macori? And for anyone getting alternative loans in addition the the staffords, what lender are you using?
See you all in 2 months, lots of partying to do between now and then...

I'm using Bank One for my Alternative Loans, but not for any particular reason- it just seemed like the thing to do :) I'm (luckily) still covered under my mom's insurance for one more year.

I dont have any alternative loans, but for the stafford loans i did the bank of america health maximizer loan. The one oudoc08 recommended. That may work for the alternative loans too.

Is anyone planning on enrolling in that CPR class or whatever it is we have to take before school starts? the 3 days are all kinda bad for me, and then driving to OKC is another pain in the ass. I may take it at a hospital in tulsa, but does anyone know if we just need basic CPR or is there anything else about basic live saving skills.

pbehzad said:
I dont have any alternative loans, but for the stafford loans i did the bank of america health maximizer loan. The one oudoc08 recommended. That may work for the alternative loans too.

Is anyone planning on enrolling in that CPR class or whatever it is we have to take before school starts? the 3 days are all kinda bad for me, and then driving to OKC is another pain in the ass. I may take it at a hospital in tulsa, but does anyone know if we just need basic CPR or is there anything else about basic live saving skills.

The CPR class can be taken anywhere. I'm fairly certain the only requirement is that the certification you must have is a CPR for Healthcare Providers class, not the basic Heartsaver course.

With all the talk on the discussion board about this, I was wondering if OU has any AOA chapter?

Dr Turninkoff said:
With all the talk on the discussion board about this, I was wondering if OU has any AOA chapter?

Alpha Omega Alpha....

We have a chapter. OUdoc, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that it's above a certain grade point (like 3.5 or something) or the top 1/6 of the class at graduation whichever is smaller.

i signed on for the august 2nd CPR class at OUSHC

anyone doing the geriatric pre-matric program from august 1-5?

pbeh- what sup dude, have fun in chicago man.

Another thread to keep track of!

It'll be tough not posting in the one from pre-allo, especially considering how many posts we have there. :p

I went for the no-fees Medloan.

OU does have an AOA chapter. More info can be found here: www.alphaomegaalpha.org

pbehzad said:

My bad, I meant that I signed up for Bank One Alternative loans and the Maximizer for Stafford loans. I signed up for the July 19 CPR class- anyone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
ad_sharp said:
Alpha Omega Alpha....

We have a chapter. OUdoc, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that it's above a certain grade point (like 3.5 or something) or the top 1/6 of the class at graduation whichever is smaller.

I believe what you're thinking of is that exactly the top 1/6th of the class graduates with special honors. However, this is does not necessarily get you AOA. More than just grades are required to be AOA. You must be nominated or something like that, based upon your entire history including things such as community service, class service, recommendations, volunteer work, research, etc. etc. etc, in addition to stellar grades. In other words, one nice big package. Does any of this ring familiar from orientation, or am I just blowing this out my ass?

Does OUHSC have a used book sale? If so, has anyone been or know when it is?

oudoc08 said:
I believe what you're thinking of is that exactly the top 1/6th of the class graduates with special honors. However, this is does not necessarily get you AOA. More than just grades are required to be AOA. You must be nominated or something like that, based upon your entire history including things such as community service, class service, recommendations, volunteer work, research, etc. etc. etc, in addition to stellar grades. In other words, one nice big package. Does any of this ring familiar from orientation, or am I just blowing this out my ass?

Sounds good, but if they don't do it strictly by grades....some people are going to be :mad:

Dr Turninkoff said:
Does OUHSC have a used book sale? If so, has anyone been or know when it is?

They had one at the beginning of last year. Email May Nour (our class pres) to find out if one is planned for this year. I buy a lot of books at half.com or in the new and used sections at amazon.com. I bought a $25 dollar book brand new for $12 on there yesterday.

Thanks for the book info, I've already started browsing. I know that some of you current students say that the syllabi are enough and that many of the required texts are not necessary. However, do you find the BRS books, other than Chung's, to be helpful for class? It seems like many schools test on minute details, and since the boards are more general, those books really aren't all that helpful outside of studying for boards. Do you think that OU's exams are more "board style", i.e. general, or more detailed and specific?

Amxcvbcv said:
Another thread to keep track of!

It'll be tough not posting in the one from pre-allo, especially considering how many posts we have there. :p

I went for the no-fees Medloan.
[/url]
Could you give me the no fees Medloan lender code? I've looked everywhere and can't find it. I know it's offered, but Financial services only knows the w/fee Medloan lender code. Thanks!!!

Dr Turninkoff said:
Thanks for the book info, I've already started browsing. I know that some of you current students say that the syllabi are enough and that many of the required texts are not necessary. However, do you find the BRS books, other than Chung's, to be helpful for class? It seems like many schools test on minute details, and since the boards are more general, those books really aren't all that helpful outside of studying for boards. Do you think that OU's exams are more "board style", i.e. general, or more detailed and specific?

This answer may or may not make any sense. The exams are both......

You will have to know broad concepts for the tests (of course). However, most instructors will expect you to know all of the little tiny details-some of which you'll have to infer from other little tiny details. For some classes like phys, I would read the syllabus once and go and read the BRS a couple of times to learn the broad ideas and go back to the syllabus to add the tiny details into the framework that the BRS provided. It's different for different people. You will probably find that something different works for you. I used BRS in anatomy (of course) and phys. I only used the lippencott book for biochem a little, but it was helpful. Don't even worry about the HB book. Many people (including myself) found the embryo book worthwhile. You don't have to buy the Mosby book for PCM right now either. You won't use it much until 2nd year. One more thing....the best investment that I made my first year......a 3'X5' dry-erase board. I used the crap out of that thing in anatomy, biochem, and hb. It makes learning pathways, the brachial plexus, charts, and a bunch of other stuff a lot easier (at least for me).

speedo542 said:
Could you give me the no fees Medloan lender code? I've looked everywhere and can't find it. I know it's offered, but Financial services only knows the w/fee Medloan lender code. Thanks!!!

I got the lender code from the mpn linked off this page:

http://www.aamc.org/students/medloans/loanstates/loans/bothstaffordoptions_bankone.htm

I can't open up the .pdf file from this crappy work computer, but the lender code is in the file linked under "Apply Now."

It's through a bank in Florida called Dollar Bank.

Hey everybody,

I'll be joining ya'all in less than 2 months (can you believe it???). I'm looking into the lap top vs. desk top issue and thought I'd ask around. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything or has advice on which one is the best.

Kula Belle said:
Hey everybody,

I'll be joining ya'all in less than 2 months (can you believe it???). I'm looking into the lap top vs. desk top issue and thought I'd ask around. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything or has advice on which one is the best.

This is a very subjective choice with many factors to consider. Have you used a laptop before? Are you comfortable with using a laptop? Do you have a desktop? If not, do you have the space for one? Do you plan to do your studying at home? On campus?

There are so many things to think about. For me, I wanted a laptop to use on campus, around the house, and when I am visiting relatives, so I bought one. However, I also have a desktop pc, which I am modestly upgrading (lcd monitor, more ram, etc.). I am also purchasing a wireless router, so I can use my laptop anywhere in the house to access the internet and my wife can still be on the desktop computer if she needs it. I love the versatility of a laptop and am willing to deal with their shortcomings (although, the one I did purchase isn't much of a sacrifice at all over my desktop pc).

Kula Belle said:
Hey everybody,

I used to have a desktop, but since I've had a laptop for the last 2 years (Well, I just got a new one thats a gateway and I love it), I'd never go back. It's just so easy to take your work wherever you need to go. And its a lot easier when you are moving or something and you don't have to lug a heavy monitor and tower around :) And like someone mentioned before, it's great having wireless internet, you can sit on the couch or on your bed and do all your internet shopping (ok mabye that's just me hehe) or whatever you need to do :) Just my opinion on the matter :D

I agree with the above. Wireless is awesome. I use my wife's laptop all over the house and back yard. I also use it to play with my psp online :thumbup:

Laptop w/ high-speed internet and a wireless router. A most excellent setup.

ad_sharp said:
This answer may or may not make any sense. The exams are both......

You will have to know broad concepts for the tests (of course). However, most instructors will expect you to know all of the little tiny details-some of which you'll have to infer from other little tiny details. For some classes like phys, I would read the syllabus once and go and read the BRS a couple of times to learn the broad ideas and go back to the syllabus to add the tiny details into the framework that the BRS provided. It's different for different people. You will probably find that something different works for you. I used BRS in anatomy (of course) and phys. I only used the lippencott book for biochem a little, but it was helpful. Don't even worry about the HB book. Many people (including myself) found the embryo book worthwhile. You don't have to buy the Mosby book for PCM right now either. You won't use it much until 2nd year. One more thing....the best investment that I made my first year......a 3'X5' dry-erase board. I used the crap out of that thing in anatomy, biochem, and hb. It makes learning pathways, the brachial plexus, charts, and a bunch of other stuff a lot easier (at least for me).

Agree 100%. Another point, general Board review books such as 1st Aid are most definitely not enough detail for tests. As far as specific subjects go, Chungs (obviously) for anatomy and the BRS Physiology by Costanzo are great. Other than that, none of the BRS series are particularly helpful. I also didn't use Lippincott for Biochem much, though it is a very good book overall. The biochem class is much too piecemeal and doesn't folllow along with any one text. The syllabus will be your best friend there.
Embryo is a tossup. The book is about 55.00 and may clarify a point or two if you are very anal about wanting to get that last point crystal clear, otherwise the syllabus and notegroups are enough to get you 98% of what you're wanting.

Don't even think about buying the Psych book. An absoulte and complete waste of money. After hearing this piece of advice repeatedly, I caved and convinced myself that I needed it. $20.00 for a used book later, I never opened it and it sits collecting dust and wasting my bookshelf space.

The only thing that I noticed that people had a various preference on was Anatomy atlases. I personally like Netters, but some others used Grants. My best advice is to visit the bookstore and find which works best for you.
I also wouldn't recommend Moore's anatomy. It's the large anatomy textbook. While it is a great book, and I do have it, I never opened it for class. Basically, there are tons of great resources, but you only have a limited amount of time. I think you'll find that the syllabus, notegroups, Chungs, and Netters will more than give you the information. Moore's is nice to have if you want to give away 100.00, but not necessary for learning anatomy IMO.

Where are all of you located? Perhaps we could all get together for a lunch somewhere? I live in Edmond and am available most days until about 5pm. The only thing I'm doing this summer is flight school and dental work, so my schedule's pretty open. Ideas?

oudoc08 said:
Where are all of you located? Perhaps we could all get together for a lunch somewhere? I live in Edmond and am available most days until about 5pm. The only thing I'm doing this summer is flight school and dental work, so my schedule's pretty open. Ideas?

I'd be up for that sometime, I think. I have a weird but fairly regular work schedule. My wife and I live in Moore, just 1 mile west of I-35 on 19th street.

Where are you taking flying lessons? Would it be too weird if I tagged along sometime? :p Ok... that's too far. I haven't flown since the summer of 2000, and I'm really missing it.

Amxcvbcv said:
I'd be up for that sometime, I think. I have a weird but fairly regular work schedule. My wife and I live in Moore, just 1 mile west of I-35 on 19th street.

Where are you taking flying lessons? Would it be too weird if I tagged along sometime? :p Ok... that's too far. I haven't flown since the summer of 2000, and I'm really missing it.

I'm flying at Oklahoma Aviation at Wiley Post. I just did my S-turns, turns around a point, forward slips, etc. today, and have a prof. check Fri. I don't think they would let me have anyone ride along during lessons, and you can't have anybody even after you solo until after certification, but if you have a private pilot cert. and did a proficiency checkride (or even if you didn't, since I would be cert'd), we could fly together after I get my cert (probably sometime later this fall), split rental costs and both log some time for half the cost. Aircraft rental is a little over a hundred bucks an hour, wet, and there is a minimum of 2hrs/day rental. So for a hundred bucks a piece, we could get 2 hrs log time and maybe go grab a cheeseburger in Ardmore or somewhere. Along the way, we could buzz those poor suckers at the HSC that are studying their butts off, while we're taking a much deserved study break. :) The aircraft are relatively new C-172's and lots of fun to fly.

Here's a link to their site: www.oklahomaaviation.com

Small company, great instructors/staff, and well-maintained aircraft.

oudoc08 said:
I'm flying at Oklahoma Aviation at Wiley Post. I just did my S-turns, turns around a point, forward slips, etc. today, and have a prof. check Fri. I don't think they would let me have anyone ride along during lessons, and you can't have anybody even after you solo until after certification, but if you have a private pilot cert. and did a proficiency checkride (or even if you didn't, since I would be cert'd), we could fly together after I get my cert (probably sometime later this fall), split rental costs and both log some time for half the cost. Aircraft rental is a little over a hundred bucks an hour, wet, and there is a minimum of 2hrs/day rental. So for a hundred bucks a piece, we could get 2 hrs log time and maybe go grab a cheeseburger in Ardmore or somewhere. Along the way, we could buzz those poor suckers at the HSC that are studying their butts off, while we're taking a much deserved study break. :) The aircraft are relatively new C-172's and lots of fun to fly.

Here's a link to their site: www.oklahomaaviation.com

Small company, great instructors/staff, and well-maintained aircraft.

I'll run it by the boss and see what she says. :laugh:

The next time you're up there, would you mind asking them if they know anyone that has a 182 to rent? I did all my training in a 182 down at Southeastern in Durant, and the hand control I use only has a Supplemental Type Certificate (STC) for installation in a Cessna 182.

Even though I only have 100ish hours, I do have both my complex and high-performance sign-offs. :) I think 60 or so of my hours are logged as pilot-in-command.

oudoc08 said:

My mom told me never to meet with strange men who I met on the internet :scared: . I'm going to watch Batman Begins tonight at the Harkins Cine Capri in Bricktown at 9:10 :thumbup: :thumbup: . It's short notice but any of you are invited to spend some time with me and my wife. Additionally, there will be another female med student (and possibly another male) and an undergrad along with us. We're going to eat somewhere is Bricktown beforehand so if you're interested, holla back.

ad_sharp said:
My mom told me never to meet with strange men who I met on the internet :scared:

She was only referring to Nigam :D

hahaha well, i would love to join you guys but I'm still stuck in philadelphia, will be in OKC around end of july, Are there any martial arts clubs or intramural soccer clubs at OUHSC? if not i was thinking of starting one...if i have time that is =)

- want a psp badly....i'm waiting for the $180 stand alone psp to come out, currently playing kirb-canvas on the ds (they are coming out with a surgery simulation game on the ds, how hot is that)

- so i came across a USMLE prep book the other day...man, can't believe we have to know all of this info in 2 years....like they said, it's like drinking from a hydrant.

lfesiam said:
hahaha well, i would love to join you guys but I'm still stuck in philadelphia, will be in OKC around end of july, Are there any martial arts clubs or intramural soccer clubs at OUHSC? if not i was thinking of starting one...if i have time that is =)

- want a psp badly....i'm waiting for the $180 stand alone psp to come out, currently playing kirb-canvas on the ds (they are coming out with a surgery simulation game on the ds, how hot is that)

- so i came across a USMLE prep book the other day...man, can't believe we have to know all of this info in 2 years....like they said, it's like drinking from a hydrant.

-I think that they have intramural soccor/football. I'm not aware of any martial arts club.

-The psp is awesome. You need to play some Wipeout Pure. I like the DS, but I don't own one.

-Don't worry about the USMLE-leave that to me. Your top priority is making it to December and passing all of your classes with flying colors.

not sure about the flying colors though ;) i'm more of a slowly-walking colors type hahaha jk

what's the least passing grade at OU? C or D? If you get below a C avg your first year do you have to repeat it again? I know some schools have that policy.

lfesiam said:
not sure about the flying colors though ;) i'm more of a slowly-walking colors type hahaha jk

what's the least passing grade at OU? C or D? If you get below a C avg your first year do you have to repeat it again? I know some schools have that policy.

C is the lowest passing. The best way to avoid worrying about it, is to shoot for an A. Whether or not you get the A, if you put forth the effort and envision yourself going after that goal, there's no way you'll have any problem passing. If you made it into med school, it's not even an issue if you give it the effort. Yes we have people who didn't pass, but I guarantee it had much more to do with laziness, procrastination and lack of self-discipline, than in intelligence.
My best advice:
The best way in the world to start getting scared and flip out, is to do badly on the first exam. So, study as hard as you possibly can for the Anatomy mini-exam that comes about halfway through your first test block. I'm talking eat, drink and sleep it. That way, you'll do so well, you'll have alot less anxiety about the larger test block which comes a couple weeks later. Alot of people made 100's on that test, but while I believe everyone passed, there were a few that made low 70's. I would bet you a beer that they're the ones who didn't pass some classes this year.

For me anyway, as the year progressed, I became much more efficient in my studying, and I found myself with more and more free time, and less and less stress. A large reason was I started homeschooling the second semester. But basically, you'll just figure out your groove, figure out what the tests are like, and figure out what effort you need to invest in order to get the return you want.

Also, the details about repeating classes or remediating is not so clear.
Maybe Adam can clear it up a bit.

???

oudoc08 said:
C is the lowest passing. The best way to avoid worrying about it, is to shoot for an A. Whether or not you get the A, if you put forth the effort and envision yourself going after that goal, there's no way you'll have any problem passing. If you made it into med school, it's not even an issue if you give it the effort. Yes we have people who didn't pass, but I guarantee it had much more to do with laziness, procrastination and lack of self-discipline, than in intelligence.
My best advice:
The best way in the world to start getting scared and flip out, is to do badly on the first exam. So, study as hard as you possibly can for the Anatomy mini-exam that comes about halfway through your first test block. I'm talking eat, drink and sleep it. That way, you'll do so well, you'll have alot less anxiety about the larger test block which comes a couple weeks later. Alot of people made 100's on that test, but while I believe everyone passed, there were a few that made low 70's. I would bet you a beer that they're the ones who didn't pass some classes this year.

For me anyway, as the year progressed, I became much more efficient in my studying, and I found myself with more and more free time, and less and less stress. A large reason was I started homeschooling the second semester. But basically, you'll just figure out your groove, figure out what the tests are like, and figure out what effort you need to invest in order to get the return you want.

Also, the details about repeating classes or remediating is not so clear.
Maybe Adam can clear it up a bit.

???

:thumbup: :thumbup: props oudoc :idea: i don't think anyone is looking to repeat a class, but yea like you said, in reality, it happends.

not betting you a beer but will gladly drink one with you :laugh:

did you know that OU has one of the highest pass rate for USMLE in the country?

Lfesiam, was it you wanting to buy a Latitude X1?

I found this on OU's IT store site.

Latitude X1

Designed for the students that demand absolute mobility, the Latitude X1 introduces the leading edge in ultra-light computing.

System Specifications

Intel® Pentium® M Processor 733 (1.10GHz ULV) 12.1in WXGA Display
Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional, SP2, with media
512MB DDR2 400MHz SDRAM, (256MB Integrated) 2 DIMMs
30GB Hard Drive, 8MM, 4200RPM
Floppy Drive
50W A/C Adapter
D-Bay plus 24X CD-RW/DVD Combination Drive
Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 802.11b/g WLAN miniPCI Card
Resource CD
3 Year Limited Warranty plus 3 Year NBD On-Site Service
NTFS File System for all Operating Systems
Silver Enhanced Service Agreement from University of Oklahoma IT Services

Their price: $1526.91

It's cheaper than the listed prices on Dell's page, and could be what you're looking for, I guess. :)

Amxcvbcv said:
Lfesiam, was it you wanting to buy a Latitude X1?

I found this on OU's IT store site.

Latitude X1

Designed for the students that demand absolute mobility, the Latitude X1 introduces the leading edge in ultra-light computing.

System Specifications

Intel® Pentium® M Processor 733 (1.10GHz ULV) 12.1in WXGA Display
Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional, SP2, with media
512MB DDR2 400MHz SDRAM, (256MB Integrated) 2 DIMMs
30GB Hard Drive, 8MM, 4200RPM
Floppy Drive
50W A/C Adapter
D-Bay plus 24X CD-RW/DVD Combination Drive
Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 802.11b/g WLAN miniPCI Card
Resource CD
3 Year Limited Warranty plus 3 Year NBD On-Site Service
NTFS File System for all Operating Systems
Silver Enhanced Service Agreement from University of Oklahoma IT Services

Their price: $1526.91

It's cheaper than the listed prices on Dell's page, and could be what you're looking for, I guess. :)

Hey amx, yeap, that's the one! It's nice and light, i'm not all about powerful laptop, just need one with great mobility & enough processing power to do normal tasks.

I'm waiting out for a special rebate though, usually dell give out $500 off any latitude over 1500 now and then. Since I want to beef it up a bit with storage and the 6-cells battery unit.

lfesiam said:
Hey amx, yeap, that's the one! It's nice and light, i'm not all about powerful laptop, just need one with great mobility & enough processing power to do normal tasks.

I'm waiting out for a special rebate though, usually dell give out $500 off any latitude over 1500 now and then. Since I want to beef it up a bit with storage and the 6-cells battery unit.

How do you go about getting the Latitude? It seems like last year at this time when I was buying mine, I tried to get one, and they wouldn't sell me one because I wasn't a business, didn't have a tax ID, etc.
They then steered me towards the pavilion which works fine, but I was wondering why the distinction.

Ok, so everyone's heard the "4 foot of paper" horror stories about MS1, but nobody really knows what to believe. I was cleaning out from under my bed today, and my box that I had my MS1 stuff in was falling apart, and not big enough, so I put everything into a new box. I then had this bright idea to weigh and measure it.

So how much does a year's worth of syllabus and notegroups weigh?

A: 45 pounds, and measures 20" high. The breakdown was apx. 40:60 - 1st sem vs. 2nd sem.

oudoc08 said:
A: 45 pounds, and measures 20" high. The breakdown was apx. 40:60 - 1st sem vs. 2nd sem.

*starts hyperventilating* :scared: :scared: :scared:

j/k :D , but holy crap that's alot!!

I think I'm taking either the 1st or 2nd date for the CPR class. Anyone else decided yet?

Napoleon1801 said:

I think I'm taking either the 1st or 2nd date for the CPR class. Anyone else decided yet?

3rd date for me

Napoleon1801 said:

I bet we'll make it :) I'm taking the July 19- and I got a confirmation email in less than 24 hours.

oudoc08 said:

Hey,

let me know a few days in advance I should be able to meet up with you all.

I emailed to sign up for july 7th class a few days back, but I haven't heard back yet.

Last edited:
I also emailed for July 7 but have not heard back.