University of Oklahoma Class of 2009 Go Sooners!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
WhoisJohnGalt said:
Yeah, I'm pretty much with Siam. Drunk, but sitll agree wholeheartedly;.

P.S> Gross Anatomy sucks. How the hell does everyon eelse do it?

P.S.S> It's lkike 1 o clock in the morning what am I doing on SDN? That's a true addict right there.,

It sucks a donkey's penis, but I think its by far the most interesting class we have. :hardy:

Members don't see this ad.

Private Pilot Checkride PASSED!

Members don't see this ad :)
Man, SDN's been dead since we got discussion boards! It's a pity too, 'cause the second years used to actually talk to us outside of trying to sell us stuff :p Now they just make fun of our "drama" on their discussion boards ;)

WhoisJohnGalt said:
Man, SDN's been dead since we got discussion boards! It's a pity too, 'cause the second years used to actually talk to us outside of trying to sell us stuff :p Now they just make fun of our "drama" on their discussion boards ;)

We had our own drama last year, accompanied by the same "man go check out the ms1 board" posts on the ms2 chat. Ours were mostly political. Too bad it's not an election year. I'm just glad I'll be a 3rd yr. and an intern in 2006 and 2008. Might keep me out of trouble. :cool:

Besides now that I got a few MS1's to buy some of my books and get me a couple hours in the plane, I'm happy.

Took the wife and kids up for the first time last night, and we're taking the plane out of state this Sun. and Mon. 6 hr drive (add a couple of hours for wife and kids) reduced to less than a 2hr flight.

I'll be thinking of all you poor suckas sitting in class. :D

WhoisJohnGalt said:

LoL, our boards are seriously crazy. I think its the only thing that keeps me awake in morning. Half the time I'm browsing through the slew of pointlessness and for some reason find the need to contribute as well. :p I can't wait to see what the next topic is going to be. :rolleyes:

You guys are boring. I can't believe that just because you're suddenly inudated with massive amounts of study material, and a need to ration every precious second of your day, that suddenly posting on SDN becomes back burner.

Geez.

(Although something tells me that many of you check this forum quite frequently, and that you got a sudden twinge of curiousity when you saw that somebody had posted something for the first time in over a week!)

Anyway, get off the computer. Don't you have a test or something to study for :)

oudoc08 said:
You guys are boring. I can't believe that just because you're suddenly inudated with massive amounts of study material, and a need to ration every precious second of your day, that suddenly posting on SDN becomes back burner.

Geez.

(Although something tells me that many of you check this forum quite frequently, and that you got a sudden twinge of curiousity when you saw that somebody had posted something for the first time in over a week!)

Anyway, get off the computer. Don't you have a test or something to study for :)

Had to admit I was a little excited to see some action in this thread again. After WUME2, I'm feeling a little better about myself, enough that I might actually have a pseudo-life in med school. :p

Napoleon1801 said:
Had to admit I was a little excited to see some action in this thread again. After WUME2, I'm feeling a little better about myself, enough that I might actually have a pseudo-life in med school. :p

Ahh. Good. It gets better no matter what they say. MS2 is more interesting, much more tolerable, and even though I would have to say that the amount of material is a little (not much so far) more than last year, I also have a ton more free time, because other than required PCM sessions and occ. mod exercises, there is very little mandatory attendance (no anatomy lab, for example) and I've figured out my groove for homeschooling.
Yesterday, I studied for a couple hours, went flying and got my complex aircraft endorsement, and then went to my kid's t-ball practice and took them to Chuck E Cheese. (Then studied 'til about 2am).

Last year at this time, I had to plan for a week just to go grocery shopping.

I'm definitely psyched to see some SDN action... I still check it and post on other threads, but since this one's been so dead I actually haven't even checked it in a few days. Glad to know a few people still read it though :) I'm definitely feeling the planning-for-a-week-to-go-grocery-shopping thing... I've literally been planning on cleaning up my apartment yesterday and today for the last two weeks, because I KNEW I would get nothing done before the WUMEs were over. But now they are, and I feel like I have a little more time to breathe (and make my apartment liveable!) :)

Okay, MS2's, this question is for you.

What exactly should we expect on the HB exams? Are they any big deal, or do they like to trick us and ask off the wall questions that you would only know if you memorized every tiny detail in the syllabus? It just seems like a bunch of info, and I don't really know what to study or what to expect. We don't even get an HB review, so that makes me feel really lost.

Thanks, guys!!

Also, there was something in the survival guide about something happening last year with the HB exam review committee and doubtfulness of its existence this year? Are the questions that tricky and debateable in HB? :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
speedo542 said:
Okay, MS2's, this question is for you.

What exactly should we expect on the HB exams? Are they any big deal, or do they like to trick us and ask off the wall questions that you would only know if you memorized every tiny detail in the syllabus? It just seems like a bunch of info, and I don't really know what to study or what to expect. We don't even get an HB review, so that makes me feel really lost.

Thanks, guys!!

Don't blow off HB.

Unfortunately, the exams are harder than they should be. I remember many of the questions being excessively subjective, like "patient X's kid is climbing all over the walls. What should you tell them?" And the answers are all fairly vague, or none seem wrong, etc.

That said, many of the answers were pretty easy also. Do you need to memorize all the little details? Yes on certain sections such as the developmental stage charts. Did Dr. Lindsey :mad: teach the first section of HB for you guys? I heard he got fired, but not sure. If he didn't teach, be thankful. He was horrible. He's in private practice, and wouldn't let students email or contact him. One student callled his office and asked him a question, and he said "I covered that in lecture, and I'm not saying it again." Then hung up.
We bitched enough to the course director, that I hope they followed through.

oudoc08 said:
Don't blow off HB.

Did Dr. Lindsey :mad: teach the first section of HB for you guys? I heard he got fired, but not sure.

No, he didn't teach. We had Dr. James Allen. He seems okay. So, maybe I should study more than the few days before? I need to do the other stuff!!! Crappy deal :thumbdown:

speedo542 said:
No, he didn't teach. We had Dr. James Allen. He seems okay. So, maybe I should study more than the few days before? I need to do the other stuff!!! Crappy deal :thumbdown:

HB is kind of a crappy deal all around. Basically, don't blow it off as a cake class, but don't sacrifice biochem and anatomy for it.

The tests suck more because as students of science, we tend to think in relative "right and wrong" answers, and HB is kind of wishy-washy, subjective BS at times.

Anyways, back to studying. Good luck.

(BTW, what's with all the crap on the OUCOM discussion board?) Geez.

oudoc08 said:
(BTW, what's with all the crap on the OUCOM discussion board?) Geez.

You're telling me. Everyone needs to calm down and realize that a lot of the stuff said in the beginning was just playing around. :rolleyes:

speedo542 said:
You're telling me. Everyone needs to calm down and realize that a lot of the stuff said in the beginning was just playing around. :rolleyes:

I can't even figure out what was so offensive. Just seems like a few folks got a little edgy and blew some things out of proportion. Well, study break is up, back to f#@$ing biochem... +pissed+

MS1's, Good Luck With Test Block!

The first is the worst. Not necessarily the most difficult, but arguably the worst in terms of unfamiliarity with the process.
Pretty soon, most people will find their groove, and the rest of first year will become smoother.

Off to study...

oudoc08 said:
MS1's, Good Luck With Test Block!

The first is the worst. Not necessarily the most difficult, but arguably the worst in terms of unfamiliarity with the process.
Pretty soon, most people will find their groove, and the rest of first year will become smoother.

Off to study...

Ha!

The first is the worst? They all suck equally.

BTW, how did the first test block go?

Napoleon1801 said:
I can't even figure out what was so offensive. Just seems like a few folks got a little edgy and blew some things out of proportion. Well, study break is up, back to f#@$ing biochem... +pissed+

Just giving you guys a heads up-

Now is a good time to buy a white board. Tons of pathways for your next test.

ad_sharp said:

I thought I screwed up the biochem test big time, but it turns out it was my second highest grade.

I'm a little... no... very frustrated with my grades this time around, though, and plan to up my study times for this test block.

ad_sharp said:
Ha!

The first is the worst? They all suck equally.

No way. 1st was the most mental, because you had no idea what to expect (although the WUME and MEX1 did give a little heads-up)
I had a similar "freaked out" feeling before the first MS2 block because we didn't know what to expect from IHI. At least from now on, the "unknown" factor isn't there, now it's just the "butt-ass hard" factor.

ad_sharp said:

Ditto. If you've had biochem in undergrad, it will help a little, but still the 2nd biochem block exam blows.

I think embryo wound up biting everyone in the balls this time around. HB was pretty spiffy, Biochem was so-so, and anatomy wasn't too bad really.

ad_sharp said:
BTW, how did the first test block go?
They weren't too bad. Sucked a$$ of course, but not nearly as horrendous as what I was expecting. This weekend has been soooo NICE!! Felt kind of funny to come home after my test on Thursday and not pick up a book to study. Got over that REAL fast!! :laugh:

What books do us MS1's need to start getting for spring semester? So far I've heard we need a neuro atlas and a histo slide book. For phys I think I'm going to go ahead and ante out for the big costanzo's. I've heard that the syllabi for neuro and phys are good for the most part, but what are the "required" texts that are listed for them?

OUdoc or Adsharp, any advice?

Napoleon1801 said:
What books do us MS1's need to start getting for spring semester? So far I've heard we need a neuro atlas and a histo slide book. For phys I think I'm going to go ahead and ante out for the big costanzo's. I've heard that the syllabi for neuro and phys are good for the most part, but what are the "required" texts that are listed for them?

OUdoc or Adsharp, any advice?

The only 2 books you need IMO is
1. BRS Physiology (Big Costanzo's is a great book, but unnecessary)
2. Haines Neuro Atlas (You need to learn every cross-section in complete detail and this book is great.)

Everything else is in the syllabi.
The big required "Exploring the Brain" neuro text was a complete waste of money IMO (Never opened it once). I'm not sure what the histo slide book is that you're referencing, but from what I remember, you don't need anything for Histo. Nothing for Epidemiology, or HB either.

WhoisJohnGalt said:
MSII's, how's second year going? Is it harder than first year? Is it more interesting?

For the most part, I'd say more interesting. First year was very boring for me. I just had a hard time getting interested in memorizing tons of biochem pathways. As far as difficulty of 2nd yr, its much more clinically oriented with a large volume of material. I had a lot of clinical experience coming into med school, so for me it's not nearly as difficult as 1st yr., but I'd be willing to bet that the majority of my classmates would disagree, as most people would obviously have a harder time learning about diseases that they'd never seen.
But I'd also bet that none of them would trade spots with you. :)

Nothing much to say... just felt like adding a new post.

I've decided that Biochemistry is no longer worth my study time. I will simply eat my book and poop out random facts onto my Scantron. I think that will be quite effective.

Oh, well... back to Biochem...

Antigunner said:

I've decided that Biochemistry is no longer worth my study time. I will simply eat my book and poop out random facts onto my Scantron. I think that will be quite effective.

yeap :thumbup:

Antigunner said:

Tell me how that works out... :laugh:

Antigunner said:

I hope I don't get the seat assignment next to you!!! :wow:

Amxcvbcv said:
Since we're covering porphryins on this exam, would that be considered cheating? :laugh:

We're only covering the biosynthesis part, so stercobilin is fair game! :)

Antigunner said:
We're only covering the biosynthesis part, so stercobilin is fair game! :)

LoL, I just noticed the gastroschisis tag under your avatar. That and 'Uh-oh cyte' crack me up in that class. I had to hold back some serious laughter during that review.

Anyone else feel the need to stock up on huggies before this block? +pity+

Napoleon1801 said:
LoL, I just noticed the gastroschisis tag under your avatar. That and 'Uh-oh cyte' crack me up in that class. I had to hold back some serious laughter during that review.

Anyone else feel the need to stock up on huggies before this block? +pity+

Don't forget OH-vulation!

Antigunner said:
Don't forget OH-vulation!

I know exactly which professor you're referring to, and last year several of us also used to pass the time by coughing every time that particular person used the word "invaginate". Sometimes it sounded like a flu epidemic in there. :)

Napoleon1801 said:
Anyone else feel the need to stock up on huggies before this block?

Thanks, Oops I Crapped My Pants!

from back when SNL used to be funny...

Whadda ya know... I pooped out an A!

and yet, sex is still better than biochemistry... :D

Well hell... I felt much better about this exam, but did a bit worse. Son of a... I really felt like I had this down.

*sigh*

With exam review I might be able to bring it to an A, but that's a long shot.

Definitely much harder than TB1. Hoping the next mini and TB3 might offer some chances of redemption in that class. :luck: Congrats to those who survived.

*Outside the lecture hall before biochem*

"Dead man walkin!"
~Mark Stivers :laugh:

Napoleon1801 said:
Definitely much harder than TB1. Hoping the next mini and TB3 might offer some chances of redemption in that class. :luck: Congrats to those who survived.

*Outside the lecture hall before biochem*

"Dead man walkin!"
~Mark Stivers :laugh:

Oh, yeah, by the way, the second test block of MS1 SUCKS! Oops. I guess that's a little late. My bad. (Biochem was the worst part that I remember)

Amxcvbcv said:
Well hell... I felt much better about this exam, but did a bit worse. Son of a... I really felt like I had this down.

*sigh*

With exam review I might be able to bring it to an A, but that's a long shot.

yeah, there were some semi-******ed questions. i was particularly impressed at my ability to miss half of the clinical correlation questions.

Dr Turninkoff said:
yeah, there were some semi-******ed questions. i was particularly impressed at my ability to miss half of the clinical correlation questions.

Those supposedly common sense, "easy" cllinical correlation questions that nobody studied for were a shocker for our class as well.

Amxcvbcv said:
Do you have clinical correlations in second year as well?

No.