University of Oklahoma Class of 2009 Go Sooners!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Cricket09 said:
I think my stomach is eating itself a little more as each day passes....

Fortunately, there aren't really any more days to pass before everything gets started :) Let's do it! See you guys (much) later today! :D

Members don't see this ad.

so i'm looking at the t-shirt order form that came with the last info packet. does anyone know what the shirt on the left says on the front? all i see is a couple of grainy white smudges.

oudoc08 said:
The top, without fail, however is summed up in three words:

Ed Van Halen

If you haven't heard of him, check out Shawn Lane's album "Powers of Ten"

Johnny

Members don't see this ad :)
JohnnyOU said:
If you haven't heard of him, check out Shawn Lane's album "Powers of Ten"

Johnny

I forgot about Shawn Lane, until you brought him up. I remember him as a musicial prodigy. His arrangements were never my favorite, but as a pure musical genius, that he was. Lung cancer and dead at 40.

Lets see. Stevie Ray V. dead about the same age in a helicopter crash.

Hendrix OD...

Eddie VH had tongue cancer...

Clapton's 4-year old son fell 53 floors to his death...

Nearly every one is/was a current or recovering alcholic and/or addict.

I could go on.

Jeez. What is it about guitar players and personal tragedy?

Cricket09 said:
I think my stomach is eating itself a little more as each day passes....
Excellently put...mine is doing the same :eek:

Where should we park for the pre-orientation thingie tonight?

EDIT: Also, what are we doing? Is it intentionally secretive and mysterious? :) Or are we just meeting and greeting?

alright guys, what a fun ass night, oudoc, i owe u a drink.

cricket, nice to meet ya!

i feel like sdn is the underground cult of OU or somethin' hahah..

anyways, fun night, eventhough i have to answer the "why oklahoma?" a hundred times..... it's all good....i'm glad that i'm here, everyone is awesome!

- had a blvd..it's "ok", i still prefer my newcastle or harp hehe...

pbeh- thanks for drivin' me back roomie, no1cub- haha i'll beat u any day buddy...u're talkin' to an ex-hardcore-frat-boy

MS2- i'll beat u any day.

Man, after "dis-orientation" I think I'm going to start up a collection pot towards buying some huggies for the mod. :scared: :scared: :scared:

J/K :D

"I thought I told you to walk the greens last night?!?"

Amxcvbcv said:
After today, I must say... the Class of 2009, and mod 232 in particular, kick ass. :D

The victory is ours!
Too true, my B.F.F.!! 232 ROCKS!! You with us, lfesiam? :D

Members don't see this ad :)
speedo - oh yea, victory is ours..still have to figure out who you are though speedo hehe

hehe i'll teach you guys some nunchucks moves next week

hey amx, nice to meet ya!

lfesiam said:
speedo - oh yea, victory is ours..still have to figure out who you are though speedo hehe

hehe i'll teach you guys some nunchucks moves next week

hey amx, nice to meet ya!
Oh yeah!!! The mystery is still mine. I know who both of you are! Maybe I'll introduce myself tonight at the zoo!?! :p

meeting people from SDN is kinda weird...its like oh so you are so-so on SDN. not the best conversation starter, but hey whatever works. ;)

As far as textbooks, do you think it matters what edition you get especially for Lippincott's Biochem (3rd vs 2nd edition, like $30 price difference)? Also, Is there a difference between the USMLE First Aid 2005 and 2004 editions? I'd like to get the cheapest books even if its not the most up-to-date editions, but hopefully the material wouldnt be drastically different. Generally will older editions suffice or is the info improved that much between editions?

Thanks.

pbehzad said:
meeting people from SDN is kinda weird...its like oh so you are so-so on SDN. not the best conversation starter, but hey whatever works. ;)

As far as textbooks, do you think it matters what edition you get especially for Lippincott's Biochem (3rd vs 2nd edition, like $30 price difference)? Also, Is there a difference between the USMLE First Aid 2005 and 2004 editions? I'd like to get the cheapest books even if its not the most up-to-date editions, but hopefully the material wouldnt be drastically different. Generally will older editions suffice or is the info improved that much between editions?

Thanks.

I'd say as long as it's the last edition, and not something published like 30 years ago, that it's fine.

Lippincott's biochem, while not absolutely necessary, is a pretty good book, and if you're going to use a textbook, would be my first choice. I can't imagine that the newest edition would be worth the extra $$$, especially when,
1: The book isn't on the "required" list.
2: A textbook isn't mandatory for learning biochem anyway.

It's not like lipid metabolism has changed any in the last few years ;)

As far as the 1st aid books, I can only offer the following presumptive opinion. I have the 2004 ed., and my gut feeling is that, the critical testable basic science material that makes up Step 1, doesn't change much.

For example, there are tons of new CLINICAL and RESEARCH trends in diabetes, but the basic science is fairly well understood, and doesn't change much.

The former isn't the emphasis of Step 1, and the latter is, thus I don't see an immediate need to have the "latest and greatest".

By the way, how was Orientation, day 1?

Orientation days, one and two, went great. Its been a pleasure to meet many of the remarkable students that make up this incoming class.

MSII's, do you have any thoughts on note groups? I heard that sometimes the notes are not always great, and when its your turn to write, it can be a burden. I plan on going class, but I could see how it would be helpful to "home-schoolers."

congrats to lfesiam for getting a free text from the tulsa folks.

Stealth Vector said:
Orientation days, one and two, went great. Its been a pleasure to meet many of the remarkable students that make up this incoming class.

MSII's, do you have any thoughts on note groups? I heard that sometimes the notes are not always great, and when its your turn to write, it can be a burden. I plan on going class, but I could see how it would be helpful to "home-schoolers."

congrats to lfesiam for getting a free text from the tulsa folks.
Some peoples notegroups are better than others. But overall, a great program, and definitely worth the money to have "live" perspective if you homeschool, and to save you from having to scrawl down notes even if you go to class.

I hate writing notegroups and usually pay someone to do mine. (Apx. $25-50 pertime). You will have the responsibility to write a notegroup apx. 2-3 times per semester (or pay someone else to do it).

It's just one more resource in addition to the syllabus, and can definitely give you pointers on what the professor emphasized or hinted might be testable.

I have a question about books. I know we need Chung's, but what about Moore's? Was it a required book for you second years too, and did you just not need it/use it? I just want to be sure.
What about Mosby's for PCM? There seems to be some assigned reading for it in the syllabus. Did it just not matter if you didn't read it and just read the syllabus reading assignment? I guess I just don't see why they would bother assigning the Mosby pages if they didn't care/check if you read them or not. Thanks!! :confused:

speedo542 said:
I have a question about books. I know we need Chung's, but what about Moore's? Was it a required book for you second years too, and did you just not need it/use it? I just want to be sure.
What about Mosby's for PCM? There seems to be some assigned reading for it in the syllabus. Did it just not matter if you didn't read it and just read the syllabus reading assignment? I guess I just don't see why they would bother assigning the Mosby pages if they didn't care/check if you read them or not. Thanks!! :confused:

Don't buy Moore unless you really need it (let school start first). You don't need Mosby's either, but it can come in handy (more so in PCM II). Everything you need to know for anatomy is in Chung's.

ad_sharp said:
Don't buy Moore unless you really need it (let school start first). You don't need Mosby's either, but it can come in handy (more so in PCM II). Everything you need to know for anatomy is in Chung's.

I concur. Any reading assignments in PCM are usually in the syllabus, other than that, they don't help much, and certainly don't warrant buying a book for. That said, you will need Mosby's for PCM II, and if you want to go ahead and buy it, you can (I did). It's a good book, but I didn't crack it once during MS1.

WhoisJohnGalt said:
I just wanted to tell everybody that I like your coat ;) and I'll see you Monday!

I was actually thinking it was going to be long, drawn out, and boring process, but wow I like the way that coat feels on. :cool:

Napoleon1801 said:
I was actually thinking it was going to be long, drawn out, and boring process, but wow I like the way that coat feels on. :cool:

The experience is now amoung my most memorable. My congrats to all of you, my fellow classmates. It took a while to get used the fact that we have earned these white coats (after much hard work and sacrifice), but now it is sinking in.

See you all on monday (except for those home-school kids). Enjoy the weekend. :D

Stealth Vector said:
The experience is now amoung my most memorable. My congrats to all of you, my fellow classmates. It took a while to get used the fact that we have earned these white coats (after much hard work and sacrifice), but now it is sinking in.

See you all on monday (except for those home-school kids). Enjoy the weekend. :D

while i was getting cloaked and sitting back at my seat while others were getting cloaked, i had a flashback to all hard work that I put in during pre-med days. it felt good to have received the goal that you'd been dreaming for for so long. i can't believe this day came, and now its like wow "i'm going to be a doctor for the rest of my life." :D

congrats everyone, and look forward to starting this bad boy.

congrats to everyone!!!! =)

we'll get through this together, if you need someone to lean on, u can count on me.

It's nice to see that you guys/gals are having fun. I have enjoyed talking to many of you on this message board for these past several months. There will be times that you don't think that you can make it, but you'll pull through. I'm always around if you need the ear of a person who has lived through it. Even after a year, I sometimes want to pinch myself to make sure that I'm not dreaming. Welcome to our school. I am proud to be associated with such a fine group of people.

If any of you want to meet oudoc or myself, we are in mod 131. I'll be there at 7:30 or so. Good luck with the school year.

-ad_sharp

Oh. My. God. I am starting medical school today!! Good luck everyone! :luck:

hey what sup guys, in biochem right now hehe
got my starbucks expresso double shots =)

*Sigh* Day 2 of the never ending struggle... :p We sdn people need to get on our laps and just chat during the lectures.

Napoleon1801 said:
*Sigh* Day 2 of the never ending struggle... :p We sdn people need to get on our laps and just chat during the lectures.

i will not let any sdn people on my lap during lecture unless they are attractive and female.

even if they are married or taken drturn? which is probably 50% of our class, haha. well there're always cute nursing, dental hyg, PAs & pharms girls =)

my rule of thumb: never date your classmate!

word haha =)

hey, anyone need a really sucky golfer like me for the golf/bar tour thingy?

lfesiam said:
even if they are married or taken drturn? which is probably 50% of our class, haha. well there're always cute nursing, dental hyg, PAs & pharms girls =)

my rule of thumb: never date your classmate!

There's a lot of folks wearing rings in our class, plus at the zoo I saw quite a few b/f's and husbands running around. *Sigh*, kinda depressing.... :( I thought this whole med student thing was supposed to boost your attractiveness somehow. :D

Napoleon1801 said:
There's a lot of folks wearing rings in our class, plus at the zoo I saw quite a few b/f's and husbands running around. *Sigh*, kinda depressing.... :( I thought this whole med student thing was supposed to boost your attractiveness somehow. :D

Hey now the fact that a girl's wearing a ring or has a boyfriend doesn't mean that she doesn't think you're attractive. It just means she thought that someone else was attractive first! :) And bear in mind the ridiculous divorce rate of med students. Just because she's married first year doesn't mean you won't get your chance by graduation! :D

WhoisJohnGalt said:
Hey now the fact that a girl's wearing a ring or has a boyfriend doesn't mean that she doesn't think you're attractive. It just means she thought that someone else was attractive first! :) And bear in mind the ridiculous divorce rate of med students. Just because she's married first year doesn't mean you won't get your chance by graduation! :D

Don't worry those dental hygienist chicks will be starting school next week. Definitely looking forward to that. ;)

lfesiam said:
fun ass night, mod 232 rocks, i think we're the party mod.
Damn, I should have gone!! Toga party tonight!!!

How did everyone’s first week go?

hey mechE,

first week:

1) - DRANK FROM THE FIRE HYDRANT
2) - PARTY/ WORKOUT TO KEEP MYSELF SANE
3) - SLEEP IS A PRECIOUS COMMODITY
4) - STUDYING IS A WAY OF LIFE NOT JUST A COLLEGE HABIT
5) - MADE AWESOME FRIENDS =)

Yeah, I'm pretty much with Siam. Drunk, but sitll agree wholeheartedly;.

P.S> Gross Anatomy sucks. How the hell does everyon eelse do it?

P.S.S> It's lkike 1 o clock in the morning what am I doing on SDN? That's a true addict right there.,

WhoisJohnGalt said:
Yeah, I'm pretty much with Siam. Drunk, but sitll agree wholeheartedly;.

P.S> Gross Anatomy sucks. How the hell does everyon eelse do it?

P.S.S> It's lkike 1 o clock in the morning what am I doing on SDN? That's a true addict right there.,

gross anatomy does suck.

I'm not looking forward to tomorrow's dissection.

The first three had ~30 new terms/structures... by my calculations, this one has around 60. Some are review from last week, but this seems to be a complicated bit of anatomy. :oops:

And not only is it complicated by lots of structures, there were several admonitions to dissect carefully which we've proven to be not so good at doing. :p