University of Miami Miller School of Medicine Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That sounds great! Definitely something I would want to do.

Do you have any specific likes/dislikes about the school? And also, having gone to UM for undergrad, did you feel that any specific classes (i.e: Biochem, Physiology, Neuro/Psychobiology) that you took were helpful with getting through the basic science modules? Were they on par as far as level of difficulty, or were they significantly less rigorous than they were in medical school (not taking into account the time crunch of having it all crammed into a month or so)?

Regarding classes, I found Psychobio 402? (with Mccabe) to be very helpful w/ this neuro module...i would also recommend the biomed engineering course w/ dauer...biochem 401 w/ ahmad is also a good course...other than that, i would say take what you like and enjoy...

Level of difficulty is not bad IMO...we go into more detail than undergrad and at a way faster pace but it is not bad at all...the powerpoint presentations are always provided to you before class and usually are clear and provide what you need to know (with some exceptions)

For me personally, I had a rough time in anatomy (at least at 1st) but I have done great in all my classes...The 1st couple of weeks might be kind of shocking but once you get used to the pace, youll feel much better and there is light at the end of the tunnel...i am also not a big fan of doctoring lectures and assignments...but its w/e...the positives far outweight the negatives....make sure for anatomy that you go in the lab and and study w/ the bodies and not just at home...other than that, you should enjoy your experience here.

Members don't see this ad.

metropass costs 37.50 a month for students, fyi.

Research is great, but you have to put in time. Just started writing my first paper now after working hard since September.

Regarding classes, I found Psychobio 402? (with Mccabe) to be very helpful w/ this neuro module...i would also recommend the biomed engineering course w/ dauer...biochem 401 w/ ahmad is also a good course...other than that, i would say take what you like and enjoy...

Level of difficulty is not bad IMO...we go into more detail than undergrad and at a way faster pace but it is not bad at all...the powerpoint presentations are always provided to you before class and usually are clear and provide what you need to know (with some exceptions)

For me personally, I had a rough time in anatomy (at least at 1st) but I have done great in all my classes...The 1st couple of weeks might be kind of shocking but once you get used to the pace, youll feel much better and there is light at the end of the tunnel...i am also not a big fan of doctoring lectures and assignments...but its w/e...the positives far outweight the negatives....make sure for anatomy that you go in the lab and and study w/ the bodies and not just at home...other than that, you should enjoy your experience here.

That's good to know - I'm anxious to be done with undergrad already! Thanks BrianUM!

Members don't see this ad :)
metropass costs 37.50 a month for students, fyi.

Research is great, but you have to put in time. Just started writing my first paper now after working hard since September.

Excellent! The MDC Transit webpage lists the $37.50 metropass as being "available to any Medicare recipient (must show Medicare card at time of purchase), qualified people with disabilities, and Miami-Dade youth in grades 1-12 (with a valid permit/ID)." I guess Miami medical students fit in there somewhere? :)

Excellent! The MDC Transit webpage lists the $37.50 metropass as being "available to any Medicare recipient (must show Medicare card at time of purchase), qualified people with disabilities, and Miami-Dade youth in grades 1-12 (with a valid permit/ID)." I guess Miami medical students fit in there somewhere? :)

UM gives a discount to all students, undergrad and grad.

Hey, can any of you current med students tell me more about the DOCS program? What exactly does it consist of? How many people participate in it, and how many times a week? Those who participate, do you enjoy it?

And the health fairs, do you see all the patients free of charge? Do you all enjoy yourselves at those?

DOCS stands for Department of Community Service. Its main responsibilities are the health fairs and the student-run clinics. It does not teach people clinical skills, but you can use the skills you learn from Academic Societies training and practice them at these fairs. It does not organize the international trips. The student-run clinic is held every week and is hosted by a different academic society. There are six health fairs throughout the entire year, meaning that we have a health fair about every four to six weeks. The short answer is that while participation in DOCS is not mandatory, almost everyone participates in DOCS at some point during their medical school career. Some students are naturally more involved than others. For example, I went to every health fair during my first year of school, whereas this year I have not attended any of them this year. All patients are seen for free. However, we might charge a nominal fee for blood tests such as a lipid panel. As to whether or not all the students enjoy themselves at these particular health affairs: you'll just have to conduct a poll of the student body. I will point out that the number of health fairs has increased since the time I first started medical school, which indicates to me that there is certainly a demand for community service at our university.

DOCS stands for Department of Community Service. Its main responsibilities are the health fairs and the student-run clinics. It does not teach people clinical skills, but you can use the skills you learn from Academic Societies training and practice them at these fairs. It does not organize the international trips. The student-run clinic is held every week and is hosted by a different academic society. There are six health fairs throughout the entire year, meaning that we have a health fair about every four to six weeks. The short answer is that while participation in DOCS is not mandatory, almost everyone participates in DOCS at some point during their medical school career. Some students are naturally more involved than others. For example, I went to every health fair during my first year of school, whereas this year I have not attended any of them this year. All patients are seen for free. However, we might charge a nominal fee for blood tests such as a lipid panel. As to whether or not all the students enjoy themselves at these particular health affairs: you'll just have to conduct a poll of the student body. I will point out that the number of health fairs has increased since the time I first started medical school, which indicates to me that there is certainly a demand for community service at our university.

Thank you Deuist! :)

I hope we all hear back soon regarding financial aid...it's a little unnerving that UM hasn't communicated with us with regard to financial issues. Or at all, for that matter...:(

It's only March. How many other universities are already talking about financial aid? There are a few things that you can do. First, fill out the FAFSA. Second, apply for the diversity scholarship, if you haven't already done so. Third, get on fastweb and start looking around for national offers that are available to medical students. I do know of the Rotary award that is available to Miami-Dade residents.

Something that's been concerning me a bit as of late:

I'm currently taking far and away the hardest course I've taken during my time undergrad and, at this point, I could wind up with a grade anywhere from A- to C. It's an upper level science course and everybody in it is very smart/hardworking, which doesn't help the curve much.

My other grades should all range somewhere between B+ and A. Should I be worried at all?

I'm terrified of getting a C or a C+ and having my acceptance taken away. And to clarify: I'm not necessarily heading towards a crap grade... just these tests are so tough, that it's a very real possibility.

Any info on Miller's practices would be great. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm being silly? I think the nervousness is stemming largely from how ridiculously pumped I am to go to UM next year.

Hey, can any of you current med students tell me more about the DOCS program? What exactly does it consist of? How many people participate in it, and how many times a week? Those who participate, do you enjoy it?

And the health fairs, do you see all the patients free of charge? Do you all enjoy yourselves at those?

deuist already responded but here is the DOCS webpage in case you wanted to learn more about it:

http://umdocs.mededu.miami.edu/

So I'm being silly? I think the nervousness is stemming largely from how ridiculously pumped I am to go to UM next year.
Once you have your acceptance, you just need to pass whatever it is that you are currently taking. With that in mind, please don't run off and develop a bad case of senioritis.

Can anyone from Miami campus comment on the night life? I heard UMaimi Med students get the hookup as far as free cover and what not...feel free to PM me if you don't want to write in the forum. Also, how hard/easy is it to meet the opposite sex (quality) in these clubs down in south beach and coconut?

I'm a born south floridian, but I'm not sure how I won't be wanting to go out all the time. How do you current med students deal with the distraction? Is there really time to wait outside of BED at 2 in the moring:laugh:

Can anyone from Miami campus comment on the night life? I heard UMaimi Med students get the hookup as far as free cover and what not...feel free to PM me if you don't want to write in the forum. Also, how hard/easy is it to meet the opposite sex (quality) in these clubs down in south beach and coconut?

I'm a born south floridian, but I'm not sure how I won't be wanting to go out all the time. How do you current med students deal with the distraction? Is there really time to wait outside of BED at 2 in the moring:laugh:

Yes. Yes there is.

Wow, where can I start? Lets see, I selectively got put on hold because I sent a PM to a member on this forum. HMMMMM :rolleyes:. I guess if someone told on me, meaning they literally forwarded the PM to an admin here that would have gotten me the hold for a couple of weeks.

As I reach deep into my bag I am looking anxiously for the student hand book for my 3rd grade class. :eek: Alas, I can't find it. It must be because I am in college, it must be because I am about to go to medical school, it must be because I couldn't possibly imagine a fellow student actually telling on another peer for something so childish and petty. In fact let me put this SDN thing into perspective.

Dr. Zeke, in no way am I saying you're the one who did it, I apologize but I surely disagree with you making it seem like there are admissions people/doctors on here lurking around making judgments on what people say or post. I am sorry but if it came down to choosing a school if I found out they implore practices as such I would be offended and probably not want to go to such a school. I mean, in honesty where does it end and where does the "snooping" begin?

This is the CO 2012 thread for the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. If you were accepted to the school and have at least a slim desire of attending then by all means post and join in the discussion. If you are a UM student and just want to be helpful and actually give thoughtful advice and question answering, like what has been going on, we welcome that too.

As for what I did. I got into it with Sid, I apologize. While some of it was hilariously funny, parts of it got a little out of hand. I'll take ownership of that. But this is the Internet people, not real life. This is a place to ask questions, vent on some dumb issues, and meet others who share the same goals or interests. That is what SDN means to me. Finding out who people really are through snooping, or trying to cast judgement before I have met a person or had the opportunity to work with them is not what I am about.

Lastly, this post isn't meant to be a fire starter. It is meant to end it as is. I hope that Sid comes back to the thread and joins in the discussion or perhaps he has another school that he is interested in. I don't know nor do I care much. I am most worried about me and my future patients. NOONE ELSE, well perhaps my wife too, but I am not married so I will deal with that another time.

P.S. Sorry for the long post, its been a while.

***Happy St. Patricks DAY!!!! :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

slow goin' ehh

I have a question. What in the world is up with AMCAS. I have changed my address like 3 times. When I change it, it show that I have changed it, I then hit "done" and proceed to logoff. Then my friends are showing me coorespondance that I have not received I think to myself WTH, let me go and check AMCAS. Darn it, they changed my address back to the old address. My 210 bucks needs to be put to better use than this. Anyone else have these issues. I will call them tomorrow.

P.S. has anyone got a financial statement from U.M.? My friend did and I was wondering if anyone else has. It was post dated March 11. MAN do I love coorespondance.

I have a question. What in the world is up with AMCAS. I have changed my address like 3 times. When I change it, it show that I have changed it, I then hit "done" and proceed to logoff. Then my friends are showing me coorespondance that I have not received I think to myself WTH, let me go and check AMCAS. Darn it, they changed my address back to the old address. My 210 bucks needs to be put to better use than this. Anyone else have these issues. I will call them tomorrow.

P.S. has anyone got a financial statement from U.M.? My friend did and I was wondering if anyone else has. It was post dated March 11. MAN do I love coorespondance.

I have not received anything from UM since the acceptance letters. :(

First, regarding the AMCAS question I think even if it says they changed it, it might take a bit until it's officially processed. I feel like I vaguely remember that, but maybe I've lost my mind.

Second, welcome back. :)

I got a letter from the Financial Office at UM, but I'm slightly confused on whether or not this is what I was expecting. Under "Financial Assistance Offered," it has listed Subsidized Federal Stafford Loan, Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan, and Federal Graduate Plus Loan. A statement regarding "Estimated Budget" follows. My problem with the "Assistance Offered" category is that all of the listings end in "Loan." Is this the long awaited for financial aid package? What happened to ~80% of UM students are awarded merit awards/diversity scholarships? I submitted my Fafsa around two weeks ago; is this just a confirmation of my FAFSA statistics, or is this the aid package, all said and done? It does say that this is a statement of "what you have thus far been awarded," so can I expect this information to change? ... or is this like all other med school lingo, meaning that what they pose as a possibilty is really their final answer? If this is the aid package, I have to say that UM came up really small; really, really, small.

I got a letter from the Financial Office at UM, but I'm slightly confused on whether or not this is what I was expecting. Under "Financial Assistance Offered," it has listed Subsidized Federal Stafford Loan, Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan, and Federal Graduate Plus Loan. A statement regarding "Estimated Budget" follows. My problem with the "Assistance Offered" category is that all of the listings end in "Loan." Is this the long awaited for financial aid package? What happened to ~80% of UM students are awarded merit awards/diversity scholarships? I submitted my Fafsa around two weeks ago; is this just a confirmation of my FAFSA statistics, or is this the aid package, all said and done? It does say that this is a statement of "what you have thus far been awarded," so can I expect this information to change? ... or is this like all other med school lingo, meaning that what they pose as a possibilty is really their final answer? If this is the aid package, I have to say that UM came up really small; really, really, small.
So, that's the estimated financial package with loans. There are still, however, scholarships to be handed out. I think I got my financial aid later a bit later than you and I was accepted last December...then I had a letter later saying updating it with my scholarship. People do get them, but most of them are need-based and merit based and then another kind is a diversity scholarship that you have to write an essay for.

Honestly, if you have other schools you got into and they are cheaper, call up the financial aid/admissions office and talk to them about it. They might give you incentive? Though I'm not familiar with this process...

Yeah, at the bottom of the letter it says "Eligibility for financial assistance, other than awards you may have already received, will be determined by the information you provide on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)".
So I guess we can assume that this has nothing to do with our scholarship eligibility? Although I guess it's nice to know I can take out this much loan money.... *sigh*

Thanks for the info guys, sorry about overreacting. I'm sure, like everyone else, I've been waiting for the aid info, and my eyes just about fell out of my head when I openned the letter. I've been planning on being around 150 grand in the hole, isn't that what they told us at the average UM indebtedness is? I was just a little surprised to see a number in the letter that added up to over 200K over four years.

true dat...a lot of kids at miami got bank from the 'rents.

When I was at the Boca campus, I remember counting 8 students with parents as physicians---that's 1/4 of our class! I know several people who are wealthy enough to afford tuition outright.

Yea, well my friend got a pretty penny outright for all four years. But, what makes me sour a little is that I turned down interviews because I got my UM acceptance to me it is about a 89% done deal, the last 11% kinda comes down to money and what I will be offered. But I might as well be 100% sure because I have not and nor do I expect to get a free ride from another school. Still, I a little nice big scholarship wouldn't hurt, my parents are not and were not doctors, lol. :p Heck, if they would throw me my scholarship now I will turn in my $100 bucks and call it a day, U.M. here I come.

Yea, well my friend got a pretty penny outright for all four years. But, what makes me sour a little is that I turned down interviews because I got my UM acceptance to me it is about a 89% done deal, the last 11% kinda comes down to money and what I will be offered. But I might as well be 100% sure because I have not and nor do I expect to get a free ride from another school. Still, I a little nice big scholarship wouldn't hurt, my parents are not and were not doctors, lol. :p Heck, if they would throw me my scholarship now I will turn in my $100 bucks and call it a day, U.M. here I come.

I think the money will be passed around after May 15. Your friend was prob an exceptional candidate or has multiple acceptances...which makes you think, can they see if you have more than one acceptance?

I have 10 acceptances. :bullcrap: Show me da money. LOL, well in a positive note you can go here and open up your account on myUM. Now I will tell you that there is nothing that really happens because they don't let you set up an e-mail yet but it does give you access to various webpages and student information. Oh yea, it gives you your C number as well.

https://caneid.miami.edu/cas/login?service=https://myum.miami.edu/idcheck.asp :thumbup:

Hey what is REL? Does that mean you get in some kind of trouble if you don't let go of one of your acceptances by May 15th? (btw I know I'm a random person in this thread, but I was accepted to UMMSM at Boca Raton, and I check this thread every once in a while).

Yes, I was very surprised when REL called me and mentioned my other acceptances. It turns out that all medical schools have to report their acceptance offers. They do not report interview invites or waitlists.

Wow that's interesting.

Hey what is REL? Does that mean you get in some kind of trouble if you don't let go of one of your acceptances by May 15th? (btw I know I'm a random person in this thread, but I was accepted to UMMSM at Boca Raton, and I check this thread every once in a while).

Hey Neuro! Rel is a person, LOL, Rel Larkin. He was an adcom for USF and has since gone to UCF. He has a problem sticking with 2ndary mutations which are much more lethal. (if you got that you are an genetics/evolution nerd :D) But seriously, he is known on SDN because of how much help he gives undergrads. :thumbup:

"What is REL?" < That quote has to go up somewhere it is awesome.

What's funnier is that REL = Robert E Larkin, so that's right he goes by REL Larkin....hehe.

What's funnier is that REL = Robert E Larkin, so that's right he goes by REL Larkin....hehe.
Hey axlaxl1...I had no idea that he was a person!!! lol seriously, I feel like an idiot. I thought it was some kind of organization, like an off-shoot of AMCAS, that calls you up and harrasses you if they find out you're holding >1 acceptance after May 15!! Haha, thanks for clearing that up. And my mind is WAY too rusty to remember specifics about genetics... Wow I can't believe that was a person!

Really? LOL, his name is Robert? LOL, I learned something new, now I feel silly. I was actually thinking the name REL was cool. Disappointing a little bit. Rel Larkin is a slick name, I am gonna stick with that.

Correct me if i have it all wrong, There really is no distinction between the match list for the Boca v. Main campus this year or next year b/c the programs were identical. Same rotations/classes/curriculum, ect

Correct me if i have it all wrong, There really is no distinction between the match list for the Boca v. Main campus this year or next year b/c the programs were identical. Same rotations/classes/curriculum, ect
Right-o. ;)

Does anyone know where Boca students get their books and supplies? I wouldn't think we'd have to go to the Miami campus bookstore. Also, to the current students, I want to ask you about the list of medical equipment that the school recommends we purchase. How many of these items do you really use? Thanks!!

• Welch-Allyn Diagnostic Set with Coaxial Ophthalmoscope.
  • Diagnostic Otoscope (transilluminator optional).
  • Two-headed (bell and diaphragm) double tube stethoscope (suggested Littman or Tycos) with ear pieces.
  • Pen light.
  • Pocket Eye Chart.
  • Tuning Fork (Frequency 128 Hz).
  • Adult Babinski Reflex Hammer (10 inches).
  • Antiseptic handrub (pocket size, waterless).
  • Blood Presssure cuff.

You can buy the books in the FAU bookstore on campus.

Does anyone know where Boca students get their books and supplies? I wouldn't think we'd have to go to the Miami campus bookstore.

Books can be purchased from either the bookstore or your favorite online retailer. A rep from Welch-Allyn will be present to sell you the equipment. Your cheapest option is to buy online. As far as if we use it:

• Welch-Allyn Diagnostic Set with Coaxial Ophthalmoscope. Used it twice during the first two years, both during competency exercises. I used mine during my neurology rotation as a third year. Most of my classmates gad gotten rid of theirs by then. You don't need it. Borrow one from someone else.
  • Diagnostic Otoscope (transilluminator optional). Same as above.
  • Two-headed (bell and diaphragm) double tube stethoscope (suggested Littman or Tycos) with ear pieces. I prefer the Welch-Allyn Tycos. You will use your stethoscope a lot during medical school. Make sure you get a good one.
  • Pen light. Get a free one from a drug rep.
  • Pocket Eye Chart. Purchase the Maxwell guide for $10. It has an eye chart on the back.
  • Tuning Fork (Frequency 128 Hz). See the discussion about the ophthalmoscope.
  • Adult Babinski Reflex Hammer (10 inches). Again, get a free one.
  • Antiseptic handrub (pocket size, waterless). You'll use this a lot during your patient encounters.
  • Blood Presssure cuff. Lord! I haven't seen a portable blood pressure cuff since first year. Definitely borrow this one.