University of Miami Miller School of Medicine Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well, I am not blaming anyone, but reporting this and causing a big deal about this is pretty lame. Its not like anyone threw out derogatory words or went into an all out flame war.

Also, yeah we are going to be class mates next year, and I hope no one gets sensitive enough to report people to administration if we are joking around or ribbing each other, in a non-aggresive manner.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I am not blaming anyone, but reporting this and causing a big deal about this is pretty lame. Its not like anyone threw out derogatory words or went into an all out flame war.

Also, yeah we are going to be class mates next year, and I hope no one gets sensitive enough to report people to administration if we are joking around or ribbing each other, in a non-aggresive manner.

Here Here:thumbup:

If SDN put someone on hold, I'm sure they got a warning first.

Anyways, what's the deal with the second look weekend?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm....looks like you guys have been busy...

Yeah it's been tough going to the beach every day, having drinks with friends, and playing video games till I fall asleep. Woe is I.
"Lads! You have to get out in the streets, you have to talk to a stranger. Drink a beer with breakfast! Take the ugliest girl home at the party! You never know what life would put in your lap when you open your arms and embrace it!"
- Billy, encouraging JD and Turk to live life to the fullest

As a note: the user was post-held not simply because of things written on this thread but also for other, private communications that were out of line. Sorry for any confusion.

I won't be able to go. I have to go to work :( **(kicks in the dirt)**

Seriously though, I have decided to quit sometime around early May. Even though I am taking a year long break, between applications and work it is by no means a vacation. So, I am going to quit early and take time for myself before classes start in August. I want to do all the things I have dreamt of like waking up at 2 in the afternoon everyday and and chilling at the beach on a wednesday or tuesday afternoon, for no reason other than I feel like it.

Well since axl was organizing the second look and all the VIP passes for the clubs I guess we'll have to wait a couple weeks.

I do have a real question though. I want to submit my essay for the diversity scholarship, but the website is not working. Does anybody else have the same blank page, when they click on the link? Also, I get the same blank page after 5pm, so does financial aid take down the site after working hours or something?

Well since axl was organizing the second look and all the VIP passes for the clubs I guess we'll have to wait a couple weeks.
1. I'm sure he'll contact you on the facebook group. Sounds like some serious codependence ;)
2. If you come to Miami when first or second years don't have exams, the admissions office can pair you up with some of us and I'm sure people would be more than glad to take you partying to all the clubs where you can get in for free...

1. I'm sure he'll contact you on the facebook group. Sounds like some serious codependence ;)
2. If you come to Miami when first or second years don't have exams, the admissions office can pair you up with some of us and I'm sure people would be more than glad to take you partying to all the clubs where you can get in for free...

Good to hear you guys and gals party. Def gonna need something to balance all the school work.

Not as dependent as I come off to be... apologies to all... just a great friend.

Do you think we should have a second look? I am confused by your statement. You first said "so what's up with the second look", and then you suggest I just visit during a non-exam time. I can just imagine going to the admissions office and asking for someone to get me in the clubs for free. ;)

I thought Axl said the second look was a no go anyway. It's a shame though, the second look would be a great time to hear lectures from the staff, student panels, additional guided tours and the like.

For Example look at what USF does:
Sunday, March 9, 2008
12:30pm Check-in in at the Office of Admissions (Directional signs will be posted)
1pm Welcome, Introductions, and Ice Breakers
2pm Team Based Learning: An Introduction to Medical Ethics and Physician/Patient Communication*
3:30 pm Panel and Mini Reception – Current MS1-MS4 and Residents*
5pm Bus Tour of USF/Tampa and dinner**

Monday, March 10, 2008
8:30am Check-in in at the office of Admissions (Directional signs will be posted)
9:00am Continental Breakfast
Introductory Session leading to CACL Session*
10:00am Center for Advanced Clinical Learning (CACL)
Noon Lunch – Grab and go as you visit tables hosted by a variety of student organizations, USF offices
and more!*
1:30pm Panel – USF COM Faculty, Administrators, and Alumni*
2:30pm Health Care, Medical Education and Reflecting on Tomorrow
4:00pm Wrap up

Do you think we should have a second look? I am confused by your statement. You first said "so what's up with the second look", and then you suggest I just visit during a non-exam time. I can just imagine going to the admissions office and asking for someone to get me in the clubs for free. ;)

Miami does not have an official second look. However, you are allowed to schedule a visit on your own accord. Simply call the office and state that you want a current student to show you around again. As far as getting into clubs, ask your med student tour guide, not the admissions committee.

Is there something more specific you're looking for with regards to a second look? You've already toured the school, met with current students during lunch, and been talked to ad nauseum about the curriculum, financial aid, and the inner workings of the building's plumbing. If you have any questions, you can email the admissions committee directly or post that question here. Occasionally, students may wish to know about specific research projects they can get involved with or what international opportunities are available. Again, feel free to ask the admissions committee or post on this thread. Please, no questions about the nightlife in South Florida. It's pretty active as you can tell.

Members don't see this ad :)
God...I leave you guys alone for one weekend and this is what happens! I need a beer just from reading everything...night ya'll

was that link sent out by admissions yet?

Is there something more specific you're looking for with regards to a second look? You've already toured the school, met with current students during lunch, and been talked to ad nauseum about the curriculum, financial aid, and the inner workings of the building's plumbing. If you have any questions, you can email the admissions committee directly or post that question here. Occasionally, students may wish to know about specific research projects they can get involved with or what international opportunities are available. Again, feel free to ask the admissions committee or post on this thread. Please, no questions about the nightlife in South Florida. It's pretty active as you can tell.

I think it would settle unsure feelings about any specific aspect of the school. It would also allow the visiting students to be more critical of the school now that we aren't nervous/anxious/distracted by having to interview.
What about the faculty? I met two faculty members on my interview, the one who led the entire presentation, and the guy that interviewed me. For my interview at least, the students who gave us the tour of the school and ate with us were extremely helpful, but it was only three students total. One was a M2 and the other were both M3 or 4's. At the Boca interview for instance NONE of them could answer questions about the new curriculum, or the details of the rotations for hospitals other than Jackson. I understand that you feel that nothing else could be gained from having an official second look and are quick to quell any inkling of a discussion about one, but as one of the many who have choices of schools a second look tends to finalize the decision. It's not like second looks are rare, quite the contrary.

Ok then case closed, no talking about the night life, or a second look.

Funny note: we did discuss the building's plumbing on my interview. :laugh:

Miami does not have an official second look. However, you are allowed to schedule a visit on your own accord. Simply call the office and state that you want a current student to show you around again. As far as getting into clubs, ask your med student tour guide, not the admissions committee.

I know, it was joke, albeit a poor one.
I appreciate that the school allows you to schedule a visit, but can I speak with various faculty, alumni, multiple students(only one usually gives a fairly biased point of view), maybe a curriculum advisor? Trust me, though I have an enthusiastic attitude on this forum about partying, I really couldn't care less about the nightlife. I am genuinely concerned with the other aspects of UM.

I do have a real question though. I want to submit my essay for the diversity scholarship, but the website is not working. Does anybody else have the same blank page, when they click on the link? Also, I get the same blank page after 5pm, so does financial aid take down the site after working hours or something?

Did you try both of these links:
http://www.miami.edu/medical-admissions/scholarshipform/
and
https://www6.miami.edu/UMH/Forms/UMH_Form_Display/1,3233,245,00.html

The first one just redirects to the second, but when I applied, the first one wouldn't work for me. Give it a shot.

I appreciate that the school allows you to schedule a visit, but can I speak with various faculty, alumni, multiple students(only one usually gives a fairly biased point of view), maybe a curriculum advisor? Trust me, though I have an enthusiastic attitude on this forum about partying, I really couldn't care less about the nightlife. I am genuinely concerned with the other aspects of UM.
You can probably speak to whoever you can manage to make an appointment with, but it is not officially arranged into a package that is offered by your typical 'second look'. Obviously, you would have to contact Agnes and talk to her about getting paired up with some students and then getting in touch with other people, fin aid, maybe some deans, but really I'm not sure what they can tell you that you don't already know. If you have further questions or maybe concerns, PM some people for more personal opinions.

You're welcome to go through the admissions office to contact whoever you want to regarding alumni and students. I'm not so sure why you would want to meet faculty. Other than saying, "I like teaching," I'm not sure that they could be very helpful. Many of our professors give only a limited number of lectures and have no input into the inner workings of the university.

The problem with wanting to speak with multiple students is there aren't that many available who work with the admissions committee. You can always ask to speak with more, but I don't know how far you're willing to go before you say you've reached an unbiased opinion.

Curriculum adviser? We don't have one. Everyone takes the same classes for the first 3.5 years. Only the last few months is your choice. By then, a mentor in a specialty of your choosing will have pointed you in the direction of which classes to take. Coincidentally enough, I picked my senior year schedule today largely using the advice of the residents on the EM forum.

I can assure you that more information is printed on this board than what's available at any second look weekend that we could put together. The whole purpose of those site visits, as you alluded to, is to give you a warm, positive feeling inside that you've made the right choice in coming here.

Come to think about it, the last question anyone posed on this thread was weeks ago about the pass/fail grading system. The rest of the pages have been filled with ad hominem attacks.

You're welcome to go through the admissions office to contact whoever you want to regarding alumni and students. I'm not so sure why you would want to meet faculty. Other than saying, "I like teaching," I'm not sure that they could be very helpful. Many of our professors give only a limited number of lectures and have no input into the inner workings of the university.

The problem with wanting to speak with multiple students is there aren't that many available who work with the admissions committee. You can always ask to speak with more, but I don't know how far you're willing to go before you say you've reached an unbiased opinion.

Curriculum adviser? We don't have one. Everyone takes the same classes for the first 3.5 years. Only the last few months is your choice. By then, a mentor in a specialty of your choosing will have pointed you in the direction of which classes to take. Coincidentally enough, I picked my senior year schedule today largely using the advice of the residents on the EM forum.

I can assure you that more information is printed on this board than what's available at any second look weekend that we could put together. The whole purpose of those site visits, as you alluded to, is to give you a warm, positive feeling inside that you've made the right choice in coming here.

Come to think about it, the last question anyone posed on this thread was weeks ago about the pass/fail grading system. The rest of the pages have been filled with ad hominem attacks.

I thought the last year, out of the four, there was some time to schedule some specialty electives, not the usual ones. One semester just doesn't seem like enough time. At what point in time do you apply for specialty/residency?

What about Boca students whom want to complete their rotations at Jackson? All that was said was it's possible. So when? How? How Long? What if you leave a rotation early? How much time are you given to do elective rotations? What if a family emergency occurs, how does the school help the students? What kind of academic, personal, financial, and career counseling is available to students? Are these services also offered to their spouses and dependents/children? Is there a mentor/advisor system? Who are the advisors—faculty members, other students, or both? How diverse is the student body? Are there support services or organizations for ethnic minorities and women? What medical school committees (e.g., curriculum committee) have student representation? Are students involved in (required or voluntary) community service? How active is the Student Council/Government? Are there other student organizations? Ect...

What about the PBL curriculum? How many hours a week do they meet? How big are the groups? How often do they change? What if the students feel that they meet too long? Can it be adjusted? Is there any student say when choosing groups? How many meetings are assigned per case? Are there roles of each member? How is non-participation addressed? Are
students going to be assessed through the case or after? Will attendance be
necessary? Etc...

And faculty. Why have they chosen to teach at UM? What are they're research interests? Are the perceptive to students who are interested in performing research with them? What do they expect of their med student researchers? What is the main focusses of research in each department? What is the actual availability of faculty of different specialties in specific departments? What is the nature and quality of faculty involvement with students as evidenced by which faculty members have chaired dissertations, published joint articles, etc.? What are the funding options available for graduate study in the department? How long is funding usually provided, and how much? Are there any departmental or institutional resources for students with spouses, children or significant others? How does the department inform students about professional ethics and responsibilities as teachers, researchers, and members of a scholarly profession? If enough research is performed is it possible to receive a masters or phD without prior declaration of the pursuit. ECT.... oh wait and do you like teaching?

Yeah... so there are some of my Q's, sorry for the long and boring post everyone.

During 4th year, everyone is required to take many of the same courses. UM only allows for up to 26 weeks of elective time, of which students are required to take 14 weeks of classes of their choosing. The other 12 weeks are used for studying for boards, going on interviews, taking additional courses, or taking vacation. And yes, one semester is definitely enough time to take specialty courses. In fact, students are explicitly prohibited from taking more than 12 weeks of elective classes in a particular specialty.

Students apply for residency during the fall semester. Let's use ophthalmology as an example. During August and September, students go on externships to different hospitals around the country to get a feel for what other universities are like. They might then take a subspecialty course in ophtho when they return to UM in October. Then, they take their required 4th year courses such as geriatrics during the Spring.

I say 3.5 years because the total number of required courses adds up to that amount of time. However, students can take the 4th year clerkships in any order. If you want to get the full detail about the curriculum go to this website and start reading from the top, down. Especially look at "Description of the Medical Curriculum," "Student Rights and Responsabilities Handbook," and "Senior Elective Manual."

Yeah... so there are some of my Q's, sorry for the long and boring post everyone.

I see that you have a lot of questions. I want to do them justice, but am too tired to answer all of them with enough thoroughness tonight to be satisfactory. I'll write up responses to all of them later this week.

Thank you Deuist I think that would be next best thing to having a second look.

So I'm looking over the 08-09 academic schedule... It lists 'competency assessment week' from June 1-June 5, then 'remediation weeks' from June 8-June 19.
What does this mean? Is this assessment required of all students? So, our summer would start June 5, unless we need remediation? And if you do need remediation, are you required to stay for the whole 11 days? Do most of the students pass the assessment without any remedial work?

What about Boca students whom want to complete their rotations at Jackson?

I was told this was not possible for your core rotations. The Boca clinical curriculum is supposed to be a longitudinal and integrated. ie: several months spent at a single hospital/clinical following patients from department to department to learn all about medicine in an integrated fashion. So, could you randomly do your ob/gyn rotation at Jackson? According to what I was told last year...NO. If you wanted to go down to Jackson for a rotation, becuase you thought it was the specialty you are interested in, then you would do it as an externship/away rotation.

What kind of academic, personal, financial, and career counseling is available to students? Are these services also offered to their spouses and dependents/children? Is there a mentor/advisor system? Who are the advisors—faculty members, other students, or both?
We have financial aid services available every day of the week. You do make the appointment yourself to go and see them. That's pretty much the way everything works at UM - main campus. The Boca system is much more hands on in terms of personal, career and academic counseling. You are paired up with a clinical and faculty advisor early on. We do have a faculty advisor assigned to us at the end of 1st year (I believe - please confirm ). That's all I can say about that. In terms of services for spouses and dependents, there aren't any.

How diverse is the student body? Are there support services or organizations for ethnic minorities and women? What medical school committees (e.g., curriculum committee) have student representation? Are students involved in (required or voluntary) community service? How active is the Student Council/Government? Are there other student organizations? Ect...

Student body is diverse in terms of people's interests and in terms of ethnicity, you can probably look that up on the admissions office website for the breakdown of how many monirities we have in the class. In terms of age, I think 1/3 of my class is 22 years old and the mean age is approximately 23.8 and the range is limited. The oldest person in my class is 34 and the youngest is 19.

We have a minorities affairs office and they are very active. We have a VERY active student body. Student govermnment works with faculty and there is curriculum representation, though I don't think that matters much since most of us don't have formal training in how to design a curriculum, we just like to complain if there's a problem, and so YES feedback gets to the faculty and stuff usually is adjusted. We don't have required community service activities, but we have something called DOCS (department of community service) that is very active. They run a student clinic and they do 8 health fairs every year throughout the greater Miami area. Student government is very active, we have a lot of different activities.

Ok, class is over, more on this later.

What about Boca students whom want to complete their rotations at Jackson? All that was said was it's possible. So when? How? How Long? Boca students are not allowed to complete their third year core rotations at Jackson Memorial Hospital. They will do all of their rotations at the Palm Beach hospitals. What is possible, however, is that students can use elective time during the fourth year to perform rotations at Jackson.

What if you leave a rotation early? I don't know what you're referring to. Are you talking about leaving a rotation early because you become ill? In that case, the individual clerkship director will handle the student. One example is a person who became ill with two weeks left to go during a medicine clerkship. She was allowed to rejoin medicine at a later date to finish those two weeks.

How much time are you given to do elective rotations? You have a total of 26 weeks of elective time during the 4th year.

What if a family emergency occurs, how does the school help the students? There have been times when students have had to leave the university because of an emergency. Again, these situations are very rare and handled on a case-by-case basis. If you miss the entire course, the school may have you make it up the following year. If you have to miss the last week or so, the university may let you get by with just taking the final exam. The course director, and more importantly the teen of medical education, will be the ones to make this decision.

What kind of academic, personal, financial, and career counseling is available to students? We have deans for financial aid as well student services. Students are allowed to meet with these deans whenever they need to discuss financial or personal problems. Career counseling is available both through the mentor that is assigned to you during competency week, an advising Dean that is assigned at the beginning of fourth year, and unofficially through any attending or resident that you may happen to come across during your clerkships.

Are these services also offered to their spouses and dependents/children? I am unaware of any services that are also extended to family members.

Is there a mentor/advisor system? Who are the advisors—faculty members, other students, or both? Like I said earlier, you will be assigned an adviser at the end of first year during competency week. You can meet with this advisor whenever you like during the second and third year to discuss your future plans. The Boca campus employs of big brother/big sister program, whereby a second-year student is paired up with a first-year student to serve as a mentor for the first year.

How diverse is the student body? You will have to look at the emissions home page if you want to get the actual numbers.

Are there support services or organizations for ethnic minorities and women? Yes

What medical school committees (e.g., curriculum committee) have student representation? Students can be found on the curriculum committee, the ethics committee, and the admissions committee. As of writing this, I cannot think of any other committees offhand where students hold a chair.

Are students involved in (required or voluntary) community service? We have tons of community service here. In fact, we have a Department of Community Service that holds six health fairs a year in addition to a weekly student-run clinic. We also have annual trips abroad for medical missions that occur during winter break, spring break, and the summer. Some of the popular destinations include Nicaragua, Dominican Republic, and Haiti. A few years ago there was also a trip to India. Students are also encouraged to get involved with other areas of community service. During my second year, I was a volunteer medic for the Orange Bowl's half-time show as well as the marathon of the Palm Beaches. Community service is highly encouraged, but not required.

How active is the Student Council/Government? The student government is extremely active and permeates almost every part of your medical school existence. The SG, along with the Department of Community Service and Academic Societies, makes up the University of Miami.

Are there other student organizations? Ect... Any student is allowed to create a student run organization so long as a faculty member is willing to sign on as the advisor. Earlier today I had a lunch with MedicOut, the gay and lesbian student organization on campus.

What about the PBL curriculum? How many hours a week do they meet? If I can recall correctly, we met nine hours a week.

How big are the groups? The groups typically have eight students.

How often do they change? PBL comes in blocks. The groups changed only at the end of each block, typically four weeks.

What if the students feel that they meet too long? Can it be adjusted? No

Is there any student say when choosing groups? When I went to the North campus, The Boca students could not choose their groups. I think that the Miami students were allowed to pick which group they were in.

How many meetings are assigned per case? That changes depending upon the type of PBL we are doing. At the very beginning, I case may last a week; while at the end of the year, a case would take one day.

Are there roles of each member? Every member is expected to equally contribute, both in speaking during the case as well as writing presentations to give the following day. There are no assigned roles such as leader, scribe, or anything else that you saw in the video.

How is non-participation addressed? Your faculty mentor will call you out.

Are students going to be assessed through the case or after? Yes, you will receive a written evaluation at the end of PBL. However, there are no grades assigned during PBL. Everyone gets a P or F.

Will attendance be necessary? Absolutely.

And faculty. Why have they chosen to teach at UM? Faculty have their own reason for teaching at UM. You'll have to ask them individually.

What are they're research interests? Research interests run the gamut with everything from genetics to physiology to pharmacology. I'm not going to start listing individual research projects here. You'll just have to use the website to track down individual professors to see what they do. Our university is very active in both the basic sciences as well as clinical research.

Are the perceptive to students who are interested in performing research with them? I think you mean to ask "are they receptive." Yes, the faculty are very receptive to student involvement. All you have to do is ask. Please note, however, that no one is going to hold your hand and suggest directly to you that you should join a research project.

What do they expect of their med student researchers? They know that you're very busy with classes. From what I understand, students are expected to work a few hours a week on a given project. Recall that UM offers tests every two weeks. I think your best bet would be to use your off week to do the bulk of your research, and then use your test week to pull back so that you can study more.

What is the main focusses of research in each department? Again, you're going to have to go through the individual websites.

What is the actual availability of faculty of different specialties in specific departments? I'm not sure what you mean by this question.

What is the nature and quality of faculty involvement with students as evidenced by which faculty members have chaired dissertations, published joint articles, etc.? My guess is that you're going to be treated like a part-time graduate student. Several of the medical students here have published joint articles with faculty.

What are the funding options available for graduate study in the department? There are none unless you plan to pursue an M.D./Ph.D.

How long is funding usually provided, and how much? Again, you're not going to get paid for your work as a part-time researcher.

Are there any departmental or institutional resources for students with spouses, children or significant others? Could you be more specific? We certainly don't play favoritism and start offering jobs to spouses, if that's what you mean.

How does the department inform students about professional ethics and responsibilities as teachers, researchers, and members of a scholarly profession? There is a student code of ethics to which all medical students are bound.

If enough research is performed is it possible to receive a masters or phD without prior declaration of the pursuit. I don't think so. I've never heard of anyone who was working as a part-time researcher and earned a Masters or Ph.D. without first declaring their intent. Further, the additional graduate degree will almost certainly require further course work.

oh wait and do you like teaching? We have some phenomenal teachers at both the Miami and Boca campus. The pathology department at Boca is phenomenal. At the UM-main campus, our physiology department can run laps around anyone else in the nation. Also, our renal module has got to be the most well run system I've ever seen. The coordinator was very good about integrating topics and teaching us exactly what we needed to know about the kidney to become doctors.

So I'm looking over the 08-09 academic schedule... It lists 'competency assessment week' from June 1-June 5, then 'remediation weeks' from June 8-June 19.
What does this mean? Is this assessment required of all students? So, our summer would start June 5, unless we need remediation? And if you do need remediation, are you required to stay for the whole 11 days? Do most of the students pass the assessment without any remedial work?

Competency week is a five-day assessment of your doctoring knowledge, covering everything from geriatrics to clinical skills. Remediation is something totally different and is related to the rest of the classes you have been taking throughout the year. If you should faill a course, you will have to retake the final exam during remediation week. In the past, I remember students taking the final at the very beginning of remediation week. Once you are finished with the test, you are allowed to leave. And yes, almost every student passes first year without any kind of remediation.

thank you very much for your very informative post!!

During 4th year, everyone is required to take many of the same courses. UM only allows for up to 26 weeks of elective time, of which students are required to take 14 weeks of classes of their choosing. The other 12 weeks are used for studying for boards, going on interviews, taking additional courses, or taking vacation. And yes, one semester is definitely enough time to take specialty courses. In fact, students are explicitly prohibited from taking more than 12 weeks of elective classes in a particular specialty.

Students apply for residency during the fall semester. Let's use ophthalmology as an example. During August and September, students go on externships to different hospitals around the country to get a feel for what other universities are like. They might then take a subspecialty course in ophtho when they return to UM in October. Then, they take their required 4th year courses such as geriatrics during the Spring.

I say 3.5 years because the total number of required courses adds up to that amount of time. However, students can take the 4th year clerkships in any order. If you want to get the full detail about the curriculum go to this website and start reading from the top, down. Especially look at "Description of the Medical Curriculum," "Student Rights and Responsabilities Handbook," and "Senior Elective Manual."

Question, a clerkship performed at another school = an externship? Also, on the website, it says that up to three months may be spent at other medical schools doing externships. 1) Do very many students take advantage of this opportunity? 2) How receptive is UM, and how often do they let students take the full 3 months away from the school? 3) This is generally the time to go to other schools that you might be interested in doing your residency at, right?

4) I know I'm probably getting way ahead of myself but I have to ask. For the more competitve residencies, I guess research (within-field) isn't required, but it is probably a big help. How many students are usually active in research? Also, do these students research during the school year, or do they try to work on stuff like this over the summer, or in other off-times? Kind of in the same vein, do med-students have the chance at Miami-main, like at Boca, to shadow specialty physicians, or does stuff like this have to wait till the 3rd and 4th year rotations. During the interview, I think Dr. Hinkley or someone might have said to talk to the administration about something like this. If shadowing like this is possible, what do you think would be more important shadowing, or in-field research, when applying for residency?

Are there any departmental or institutional resources for students with spouses, children or significant others? Could you be more specific? We certainly don't play favoritism and start offering jobs to spouses, if that's what you mean.

I meant access to the facilities (ex. Gym at UM-Main) and health insurance coverage.

4) I know I'm probably getting way ahead of myself but I have to ask. For the more competitve residencies, I guess research (within-field) isn't required, but it is probably a big help. How many students are usually active in research? Also, do these students research during the school year, or do they try to work on stuff like this over the summer, or in other off-times? Kind of in the same vein, do med-students have the chance at Miami-main, like at Boca, to shadow specialty physicians, or does stuff like this have to wait till the 3rd and 4th year rotations. During the interview, I think Dr. Hinkley or someone might have said to talk to the administration about something like this. If shadowing like this is possible, what do you think would be more important shadowing, or in-field research, when applying for residency?

Download this document if you are interested in learning about what different specialties look for. If you check derm, you'll notice that 96% of the applicants who matched were involved in research projects---and most of them were published as well.

Research typically begins during the second semester to second year and runs throughout the rest of medical school. You'll have a difficult time getting published with only one summer's worth of work. And research is definitely more important than shadowing.

It's true that rush hour in Miami can get horrific, but it usually doesn't affect people who live in Brickell (where I lived last year) or South Beach (this year) because traffic is going the other direction. Many people do use the Metro, though most of them are men or women who keep to strict daytime-only commuting schedules. The metro is full of suspicious characters.

I park in a garage and yes I agree that it is too expensive, but little can be done about that. I have always felt safe, though when walking around at night of course I keep my eyes open.

I live very close to a Metro Rail station, so I have a feeling I'm going to end up just taking that to school most of the time (apart from the few months when we have Gross Anatomy dissection or any other event where we have to stay late - Miami "Rush Hour" traffic from 7:30-9 AM and ~4:30-7 PM is absolutely horrendous).

I'm probably going to end up buying a discount commuter parking pass for the Coral Gables campus instead ($109 A YEAR) along with a student pass for the metro ($56.25 a month) and possibly a $6.25 a month metro parking permit. I go to UM for undergrad so it will be nice to have easy access to the libraries/gym again. The parking/area around JMH is a little shady as well IMO so I would feel a lot better keeping my car there as little as possible...at least until third year. The metro only runs from 5 AM to midnight after all...

...Kind of in the same vein, do med-students have the chance at Miami-main, like at Boca, to shadow specialty physicians, or does stuff like this have to wait till the 3rd and 4th year rotations. During the interview, I think Dr. Hinkley or someone might have said to talk to the administration about something like this. If shadowing like this is possible, what do you think would be more important shadowing, or in-field research, when applying for residency?

I am a student at the Miami undergraduate campus, and have been able to shadow a doctor of some sort at JMH practically every other week this semester. I just look on the website for someone with an interesting specialty, and then send them an email saying that I have been accepted to the class of 2012 and asking if they would allow me to shadow. If they are fine with it, they email back. If not, they usually don't even bother replying. Most so far have been very nice and receptive to me shadowing them. So far, I have been able to shadow a transplant surgeon, an orthopedic surgeon, a general surgeon, a cardiothoracic surgeon, a surgical oncologist, an internist, and a diagnostic radiologist in this way. They have all been really cool people to boot (Lucky me, I guess).:)

If it is this easy as an undergrad, I am pretty sure as a medical student it will be even easier (a lot less paperwork/hoops to jump through when you have a medical school ID badge!).

Does Boca play up this ability to shadow physicians? Because it seems to be just as easy to do so at the Miami campus...

... Kind of in the same vein, do med-students have the chance at Miami-main, like at Boca, to shadow specialty physicians, or does stuff like this have to wait till the 3rd and 4th year rotations. During the interview, I think Dr. Hinkley or someone might have said to talk to the administration about something like this. If shadowing like this is possible, what do you think would be more important shadowing, or in-field research, when applying for residency?

On the same token, I'm pretty sure that how much you have shadowed isn't even a factor when applying for residency. It's more something you do for personal enjoyment/educational purposes and getting some idea of what a day in the life of a particular specialist is like.

I was wondering if you current students could comment on the academic environment (level of competition, cooperation, stress, etc.)

Thanks

Download this document if you are interested in learning about what different specialties look for. If you check derm, you'll notice that 96% of the applicants who matched were involved in research projects---and most of them were published as well.

Research typically begins during the second semester to second year and runs throughout the rest of medical school. You'll have a difficult time getting published with only one summer's worth of work. And research is definitely more important than shadowing.

Yeah, I've seen the match data, and was curious about the research environment at UM. Whats strange is that all you ever hear about med school, is that it is the "be all, end all," in terms of the amount of work, and then on top of that, throw in a few years of research to be competitve for your residency of choice. I asked because orthopedics is interesting to me (of course, things could change in med school), and go figure, its one of the specialties where it looks like you need a research background. Thanks for the info, I was curious what you guys had to say, because you've gone through some or most of the process already.

I am a student at the Miami undergraduate campus, and have been able to shadow a doctor of some sort at JMH practically every other week this semester. I just look on the website for someone with an interesting specialty, and then send them an email saying that I have been accepted to the class of 2012 and asking if they would allow me to shadow. If they are fine with it, they email back. If not, they usually don't even bother replying. Most so far have been very nice and receptive to me shadowing them. So far, I have been able to shadow a transplant surgeon, an orthopedic surgeon, a general surgeon, a cardiothoracic surgeon, a surgical oncologist, an internist, and a diagnostic radiologist in this way. They have all been really cool people to boot (Lucky me, I guess).:)

If it is this easy as an undergrad, I am pretty sure as a medical student it will be even easier (a lot less paperwork/hoops to jump through when you have a medical school ID badge!).

Does Boca play up this ability to shadow physicians? Because it seems to be just as easy to do so at the Miami campus...

I called it shadowing because I wasn't quite sure how else to describe it. When I think of "shadowing," I think of being an undergrad with my hands in my pockets, walking 5 feet behind the doc, watching what they're doing. Maybe I'm wrong on this, but at Boca (and probably Miami-main) it seems like you have the chance to hook up with a doctor in a field you might be interested in, to get some extra experience. Because you're a med student now, you'd get to do a lot more than watch (as long as you know what you're doing though).

I called it shadowing because I wasn't quite sure how else to describe it. When I think of "shadowing," I think of being an undergrad with my hands in my pockets, walking 5 feet behind the doc, watching what they're doing. Maybe I'm wrong on this, but at Boca (and probably Miami-main) it seems like you have the chance to hook up with a doctor in a field you might be interested in, to get some extra experience. Because you're a med student now, you'd get to do a lot more than watch (as long as you know what you're doing though).

Oh absolutely. I'm sure as a medical student they'd be more willing to teach/potentially let you do something as opposed to just observing. I know of an MS1 at Miami who shadows a plastic surgeon and actually gets to do more than just watch during surgeries (like tie knots/cut suture and retract). I have also heard of other MS1's/MS2's who occasionally help out in the ER during their free time.

This all sounds very exciting. It seems that no matter which campus we end up going to, the opportunities will be ripe for the picking...as long as we are proactive and seek them out.

On the same token, I'm pretty sure that how much you have shadowed isn't even a factor when applying for residency. It's more something you do for personal enjoyment/educational purposes and getting some idea of what a day in the life of a particular specialist is like.

I forget if it was at Boca or Miami, but somewhere along the way, there was the story of the one girl who wanted to be a vascular surgeon, which apparently is a pretty hard residency to match into. The administration had hooked her up with a practicing vascular specialist, and by the time she had graduated, she had scrubbed in (maybe even assissted, can't remember) on over a 100 procedures. There was also the one student who was interested in organ transplant, and got to fly out overnight with the specialist, harvest organs, and return the next day to implant. I volunteer in a specialty clinic at school now, and I've had the chance to see several fourth years come in to see the facilities, and I would assume, interview at some point. While your "shadowing time" wouldn't count for much, you would probably have a lot to talk about and/or be pretty knowledgeable about the field having observed a 100 procedures, etc. Also, the way I see it, if you're interested in specialty X, and you've been associated with a practicing physician in this field for several years, they believe you to be pretty competent, and want to see you succeed, they may be willing to recommend you or write you a pretty good letter. Of course, letters from your rotation directors, grades, Step scores, etc., would still be paramount, but at the very least, its not going to hurt you.

I forget if it was at Boca or Miami, but somewhere along the way, there was the story of the one girl who wanted to be a vascular surgeon, which apparently is a pretty hard residency to match into. The administration had hooked her up with a practicing vascular specialist, and by the time she had graduated, she had scrubbed in (maybe even assissted, can't remember) on over a 100 procedures. There was also the one student who was interested in organ transplant, and got to fly out overnight with the specialist, harvest organs, and return the next day to implant. I volunteer in a specialty clinic at school now, and I've had the chance to see several fourth years come in to see the facilities, and I would assume, interview at some point. While your "shadowing time" wouldn't count for much, you would probably have a lot to talk about and/or be pretty knowledgeable about the field having observed a 100 procedures, etc. Also, the way I see it, if you're interested in specialty X, and you've been associated with a practicing physician in this field for several years, they believe you to be pretty competent, and want to see you succeed, they may be willing to recommend you or write you a pretty good letter. Of course, letters from your rotation directors, grades, Step scores, etc., would still be paramount, but at the very least, its not going to hurt you.

Exactly. Which is why it's a wonderful thing to do for personal fulfillment as well as for educational purposes. It certainly beats waiting till third and fourth years to sample all of the different specialties, not to mention it provides you with potential mentors in case a particular specialty happens to strike your fancy. So far, the docs I've shadowed have been awesome to talk to and extremely willing to teach. It's great. :)

Those are excellent stories. I remember hearing similar things at my interview.

All of the health fairs and the San Juan Bosco (DOCS) clinic sound really cool too. Can anyone tell us more about DOCS?

I was wondering if you current students could comment on the academic environment (level of competition, cooperation, stress, etc.)

Thanks
We aren't very competitive with each other. Most people will help you out before a test, and people like to send around their review sheets and excel tables that they make. I've heard it's not like that everywhere. I don't find that my classmates stress me out too much in terms of tests and learning material. There are always going to be the crazies that have nothing except for school and studying, but you can usually steer clear of them, and they are few and far between ;)

We aren't very competitive with each other. Most people will help you out before a test, and people like to send around their review sheets and excel tables that they make. I've heard it's not like that everywhere. I don't find that my classmates stress me out too much in terms of tests and learning material. There are always going to be the crazies that have nothing except for school and studying, but you can usually steer clear of them, and they are few and far between ;)

That's very cool.:)

Hey, does anyone know more about the organization at UMMSM called "Medical Students in Action"? Dr. Chavoustie, the Medical Director for MSIA was a guest lecturer in one of my classes today and he briefly mentioned that they go on yearly mission trips to the DR...

Hey, does anyone know more about the organization at UMMSM called "Medical Students in Action"? Dr. Chavoustie, the Medical Director for MSIA was a guest lecturer in one of my classes today and he briefly mentioned that they go on yearly mission trips to the DR...

Hey there...I am a 1st year and I had the pleasure of going on a DR trip this past winter break...its an awesome experience and I highly recommend it! I went on the trip with Dr. Degenerro however...but you get to actually interview patients down there and come up with a treatment plan with a physician supervising you. You present the cases and feel like you are doing something truly meaningful...Definetly worth it

The school itself is great also IMO in many respects...if any of you have any specific questions feel free to ask...

Hey there...I am a 1st year and I had the pleasure of going on a DR trip this past winter break...its an awesome experience and I highly recommend it! I went on the trip with Dr. Degenerro however...but you get to actually interview patients down there and come up with a treatment plan with a physician supervising you. You present the cases and feel like you are doing something truly meaningful...Definetly worth it

The school itself is great also IMO in many respects...if any of you have any specific questions feel free to ask...

That sounds great! Definitely something I would want to do.

Do you have any specific likes/dislikes about the school? And also, having gone to UM for undergrad, did you feel that any specific classes (i.e: Biochem, Physiology, Neuro/Psychobiology) that you took were helpful with getting through the basic science modules? Were they on par as far as level of difficulty, or were they significantly less rigorous than they were in medical school (not taking into account the time crunch of having it all crammed into a month or so)?