University of Colorado Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to Mr and Mrs Taco!!! That's so exciting - I hope you're all resting and doing well.

Mr. Tela and I added a new member to our family last night from the Denver Humane society. She is a 7 month old black lop bunny and we are very excited - she's our first pet together. Proposed names so far include Ninja and Monster (not that she is - she's very sweet). Any name suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hope you all are enjoying a beautiful Saturday. I'll be counting the hours until I can get out of the library and stop explaining the life cycle of ferns!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

Happy to announce that they let me off the MSTP waitlist, and I am now definitely going to CU and leaving sunny San Diego for sunny Denver. I did miss the orientation, but I'm hoping to make it to out there in June to look at housing. I feel kinda guilty though cause while I'm oos, the new law kinda just means that I don't have to rush at getting all of my residency paper work in line in a year (the DMV gives me nightmares).

To gd and MeowMix: thank you so much for all of the useful info already.

To TacoStand and his wife: congratulations!

shortyganoush said:
Hey all,

Happy to announce that they let me off the MSTP waitlist, and I am now definitely going to CU and leaving sunny San Diego for sunny Denver. I did miss the orientation, but I'm hoping to make it to out there in June to look at housing. I feel kinda guilty though cause while I'm oos, the new law kinda just means that I don't have to rush at getting all of my residency paper work in line in a year (the DMV gives me nightmares).

To gd and MeowMix: thank you so much for all of the useful info already.

To TacoStand and his wife: congratulations!
Congrats Shorty and welcome aboard!!! Boy, it would be really hard for me to leave San Diego. That town is beautiful. Denver's not bad, but it's no San Diego.

Tela's: congrats on your bunny. Mr. gdbaby and I also added to our family today when we picked up Millie, the 4 year old greyhound we adopted from Colorado Greyhound Adoption. She is huge, gentle and hysterical. My son was pointing to Millie while at the park telling all the kids "That's my dog. Her name is Millie!"

Bunny names: I'm partial to gdbaby.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a great opportunity to get a sense of what med school will be like, good, bad, and hilarious. It's fun, you'll feel like a real med student, and you'll get really excited about what's ahead of you.

Senior Skits (Class of 2006) and the Golden Probe Awards
Wed., May 17
Denison Auditorium, UCHSC (9th & Colorado campus)
Socializing at 6, show at 7

Every year each senior class (after our credits are fulfilled and our graduation is guaranteed) gets to take our shots at UCHSC, our administrators and faculty, and last but not least ourselves. Come enjoy an evening of comedy and bad acting. The event is Wed. May 17, 2006 in the Denison Auditorium. Doors open at 6:00pm and the show starts at 7:00pm. Take a much needed break from studying or rotations and watch what we have been working on for the last 2 months (we've had nothing else to do).

Free admission! Free food! Free beer!

(If you're nervous about just showing up, PM me and you can come and sit with us so you don't feel like an outsider.)

Congratulations Tacos on the new addition. This might be a little late but I've been out of touch and I wanted to make sure to add my congrats to the growing family. Guess we'll have to sort out the pool when we all get out there.

Shorty, welcome aboard. Being OOS I agree that I am now a lot less motivated to get all the things done to become a CO resident. If residents get cheaper lift tickets, that would force me to get it all done very quickly.

gdbaby said:
Congrats Shorty and welcome aboard!!! Boy, it would be really hard for me to leave San Diego. That town is beautiful. Denver's not bad, but it's no San Diego.

Yeah, I am a little sad to leave SD and especially sad to leave my SO and best friends (hopefully the SO will eventually follow me :luck: ) On the other hand, I'm feeling a little unwanted by the city (and CA in general) after not getting an interview at UCSD (or UCLA and UCSF). Plus I'm tired of high rent, overpriced condos, and some of, if not the highest gas prices in the nation, with barely any public transportation.

Of course, you will all get to laugh a little at me next winter ;) . I'm not so good at the snow thing.

By the way, how much is gas in Denver right now?

Congrats Shorty! Can't wait to meet you in a couple of months!

Tela's: I really like the name, Monster. It's kind of like the "Tiny" for a big dog thing.

Congrats Mr. and Mrs. Stand! Medbound is claiming victory over the baby pool and I just want to confirm some of the facts...exactly what time was Baby Stand born? Was it close to 12:01 am on May 4th by any chance? If so, we might have a hanging chad situation on our hands here. :)

shortyganoush said:
Yeah, I am a little sad to leave SD and especially sad to leave my SO and best friends (hopefully the SO will eventually follow me :luck: ) On the other hand, I'm feeling a little unwanted by the city (and CA in general) after not getting an interview at UCSD (or UCLA and UCSF). Plus I'm tired of high rent, overpriced condos, and some of, if not the highest gas prices in the nation, with barely any public transportation.

Of course, you will all get to laugh a little at me next winter ;) . I'm not so good at the snow thing.

By the way, how much is gas in Denver right now?
I think gas is $2.79/gal right now. We own a ca, but rarely drive it so I haven't filled up the tank since the gas prices went up.

No worries about the snow either, we rarely get any snow that lasts through the day. About twice a year we will get dumped on big time where the snow lasts for maybe 4 days (!), but that's nothing compared to Chicago where it snows in november and that same snow is on the ground in April. You'll be fine, plus we won't be seeing the outdoors anyway!

gdbaby said:
I think gas is $2.79/gal right now.

I can't wait. Gas where I am averages $3.44/gal. I'm also hoping to live much closer to campus than I currently can afford to in SD, and save on transportation in that respect.

Run away everyone! Quit while you can!

Kidding, CU is an awesome med school. Happy to have gone there, no regrets whatsoever, got my first choice for residency, etc. :horns:

Hi Tin Can, guess who?

MeowMix, I guarantee my class' skits will be considerably better than the past two years. They won't be NC-17 rated either. :rolleyes:

tin can said:
Congrats Mr. and Mrs. Stand! Medbound is claiming victory over the baby pool and I just want to confirm some of the facts...exactly what time was Baby Stand born? Was it close to 12:01 am on May 4th by any chance? If so, we might have a hanging chad situation on our hands here. :)

Hi All,

The exact time was 8:37pm on May 3rd, so unfortunately - no hanging chad scenario. It was a more amazing experience than I could have imagined. What a week! Tacita and Mrs Stand are doing great. It is simply awesome being a dad and getting to care and love on our little one.

As medicalbound aluded to, not only was my daughter born, but I saw my first epideral and my first surgery. Very cool.

Got to run.

MeowMix said:
This is a great opportunity to get a sense of what med school will be like, good, bad, and hilarious. It's fun, you'll feel like a real med student, and you'll get really excited about what's ahead of you.

Senior Skits (Class of 2006) and the Golden Probe Awards
Wed., May 17
Denison Auditorium, UCHSC (9th & Colorado campus)
Socializing at 6, show at 7

Every year each senior class (after our credits are fulfilled and our graduation is guaranteed) gets to take our shots at UCHSC, our administrators and faculty, and last but not least ourselves. Come enjoy an evening of comedy and bad acting. The event is Wed. May 17, 2006 in the Denison Auditorium. Doors open at 6:00pm and the show starts at 7:00pm. Take a much needed break from studying or rotations and watch what we have been working on for the last 2 months (we've had nothing else to do).

Free admission! Free food! Free beer!

(If you're nervous about just showing up, PM me and you can come and sit with us so you don't feel like an outsider.)
I am totally going Meow. I'll scope you out once I get there since I will feel a little out of place.

Okay, so I just got done watching Mystery Diagnosis and I have some observations I would like to share with you:
(1) Mystery Diagnosis hates everything medically related: physicians, prescription drugs, physical therapy, everything. Each episode ends with "what was wrong with these doctors that they couldn't diagnose this disease?"--My paraphrase.
(2) Like a Jackie Chan film, nobody dies on Mystery Diagnosis. I got a little nervous about tonight's episode since parents were talking about their little boy, but about 10 minutes into the case the boy comes on -- phew!
(3) No one knows how to pronounce duodenum. One doc pronounced it (dew-AH-den-um), then a brit doc pronounced it (DEW-oh-DEN-um). Now, I am inclined to go with the first doc, since Brits pronounce the H in herbs and use words like "queue," but can we get a morphologist in here so we can figure out how these phonemes go together?
(4) I weep for whoever is in my PBL group. Now, I will say that I came very close in all of the diagnoses tonight if you really expand the definitions of the diagnoses. The boy had a primary immune disorder. I diagnosed him as having "that **** that the boy in the bubble had." The second guy had cancer that produced an ulcer (like our pre-orientation PBL) and inflamed liver. I got the inflamed liver and as soon as they said ulcer I shouted to my husband "He's got cancer like our PBL case!" The third woman had a pain disorder. Okay, I didn't diagnosis this one correctly, but I did say "why don't you at least give her something for the pain?"

In summary, Mystery Diagnosis is a very valuable show. I will be faithfully watching it all summer. That is all.

Members don't see this ad :)
gdbaby said:
The third woman had a pain disorder. Okay, I didn't diagnosis this one correctly, but I did say "why don't you at least give her something for the pain?"
GD-I missed the end of that episode! What was the deal with the pain disorder woman? She was a dancer that was injured, right? I only saw up to the part were she said that all of the docs were labeling her a head case (yep, you're right, they do have an ongoing "what were those stupid doctors thinking?" theme).

gdbaby said:
(3) No one knows how to pronounce duodenum. One doc pronounced it (dew-AH-den-um), then a brit doc pronounced it (DEW-oh-DEN-um). Now, I am inclined to go with the first doc, since Brits pronounce the H in herbs and use words like "queue," but can we get a morphologist in here so we can figure out how these phonemes go together?

As far as I know, both are correct. I haven't yet settled on which I like better. Its a fun word. What time/channel is this jem of a show on?? I definitely need to check it out.

We have decided to call our little bunny Cleo. She is very entertaining, sweet and very, very loved. I'm glad to have finished the tutoring just so that I get to stay home and play with her.

But in the meantime, I have to go to the dentist and get some drilling done. Having done a little too much celebrating last night, its sounding particularly torturous this morning. Ouch.

mdtela said:
But in the meantime, I have to go to the dentist and get some drilling done. Having done a little too much celebrating last night, its sounding particularly torturous this morning. Ouch.
Get out of my life!! I just got back from some dental drilling of my own! I am always ashamed to have to get cavities filled. I think I was psychologically tortured by "Yuck Mouth" as a kid. Does anyone remember those "educational" commercials about brushing your teeth?

Cleo--I love it. I am at home grading term papers and playing with our new Greyhound, Millie.

Tin Can, the woman was diagnosed with RSD - reflex sympathetic dystrophy. She did pull that right hamstring and that released a tidal wave in her nervous system so that she started experiencing pain everywhere. When they got her to "the one doctor who finally took an interest in her" she was brought in on a gurnee.

mdtela, the show is on Wednesday nights 9-10 pm mountain time on TLC.

too bad about the duodenum pronounciation debate. I was hoping I could get mad at the Brit doc like I do every time I hear the president say Nu-CU-lar, instead of nuclear.

There really are a lot of lazy and complacent docs out there. As I'm sitting here two weeks away from graduation, I can name less a dozen physicians from the hordes I've met over the last four years that I would actually trust to care care of a loved one or myself.

So, uh, don't become one. It has nothing to do with how hard you study anatomy. You have to really love what you do and have fun doing it. A lot of docs don't.

p.s. I don't watch medical shows other than Scrubs but that does not sound like RSD. The "Gray's Anatomy" or "House" version of it, perhaps.

p.p.s. I'll stop trolling your forum. Just wanted to say hi to Tin Can. :p

Hey everyone,
I have been really sick this last week. I sucks being sick when the weather is so nice. Anyway, I wanted to give my fellow relay runners fair warning. I did run 7 miles yesterday, so I know I will be able to do my leg of the marathon, but I was slow. Today I am coughing up something that is a nice shade of day-glo green. I am hoping that this is the end of the illness (the old wives' tale that once you start coughing stuff up you are on your way to being better).

Anyway just a heads up for MB and ABB.

gdbaby said:
Hey everyone,
I have been really sick this last week. I sucks being sick when the weather is so nice. Anyway, I wanted to give my fellow relay runners fair warning. I did run 7 miles yesterday, so I know I will be able to do my leg of the marathon, but I was slow. Today I am coughing up something that is a nice shade of day-glo green. I am hoping that this is the end of the illness (the old wives' tale that once you start coughing stuff up you are on your way to being better).

Anyway just a heads up for MB and ABB.

Simply not acceptable gd, but since you didn't ask permission to be sick and went ahead and did it anyways, we'll have to think of a way to use this to our advantage.

Perhaps - as you leave a flourescent green trail of sputum behind you, every now and again you can stage a "fit" where you start screaming "GET THEM OFF! GET THEM OFF! as you swing wildly at imaginary birds.

No one will want to pass you and you'll set the pace for the other runners.

In reality, don't press it too hard gd. We're not off to break any records here. Drink lots of fluids and get that crap out of your lungs before next weekend. I hope you feel better soon.

Another reason I'm looking forward to moving to Denver - is that I'm sure the bear problem is less than where I am now. I am so sick of bears getting into my trash! The novelty of dealing with wild bears wore off several years ago, now they are such a pain in the arse! I know...I know... they were here first and all, but darn it - I'm here now and even our best bear deterrants (e.g. dirty diapers) don't cut it. I've got one of those large million gallon rolley "cans" that I've even bolted shut with a 4 inch bolt and nut, and the stupid thing just dragged the whole thing off the side deck, across my new sod, and try to drag it down the street. I yelled at it through the window and it just eyeballed me as it try to pry the lid open. So I did what every respectable soon-to-be medical student does and through a plastic sprinker at it - which stopped it for oh, let me see, 30 seconds before it started pulling trash through the pried open lid. I then turned on the hose full blast and gave the cheeky little bugger a shower. I then donned my bear proof Crocks, a shower curtain rod, and a flashlight and retrieved my trash can from the edge of the fence while the bear was in the field across the street strategizing with the squirrels on how to terrorize me next.

Bear: 1,765,298 -- Me: 1

HA! i've often wondered where bears got their clever plans for revenge on humans; it's those darn squirrels!

medicalbound said:
Simply not acceptable gd, but since you didn't ask permission to be sick and went ahead and did it anyways, we'll have to think of a way to use this to our advantage.

Perhaps - as you leave a flourescent green trail of sputum behind you, every now and again you can stage a "fit" where you start screaming "GET THEM OFF! GET THEM OFF! as you swing wildly at imaginary birds.

No one will want to pass you and you'll set the pace for the other runners.

In reality, don't press it too hard gd. We're not off to break any records here. Drink lots of fluids and get that crap out of your lungs before next weekend. I hope you feel better soon.
Well, the "Mystery Diagnosis" has been revealed: I went to the doc yesterday and I have strep throat! So, antibiotics are working their wonders on me as we speak and I am already feeling much better. I will be back up in no time. However, I am still going to swing my arms at imaginary birds to shoo offf other runners. Although, MB, you must not no much about Colfax Ave.: there is a lot of that going on already! Colfax was where I got to show my younger sister her first transvestite prostitute. I love those bonding moments.

The bear problem is much lighter here. Squirrels on the other hand...every garbage can in Denver has a circular hole near the top where the squirrels ate through. Damn.

Sorry to hear you're under the weather GD. Like MB says, no pressure - if you still feeling really bad don't push it. I realized the other day that as the member of the team that lives at sea level i probably will end up being the weakest link anyway!
As for the bears, my friend's younger brother recently had one come into his apartment and raid the freezer for ice cream! The animal control guy had them hang a water balloon filled with ammonia outside the window he had entered through and he never came back. I'm sure you've probably tried this and every other trick in the book though...

So, this weird thing just happened to me that made me think of life back in Chi-town. So, tin can this is directed to you, but anyone else is welcome to pipe in.

When you are walking down the steets of Chicago, did you ever just have drops of water randomly land on you. They seem to have come out of nowhere (sunny day, no sprinklers on). I remember telling someone about chicago, "it's my favorite city inspite of the random drippings."

It just happened here in Denver as I was walking my dog and spreading strep throughout the neighborhood. Out of nowhere, I feel a drop of water hit my arm. I smiled thinking of chicago and then went back to wondering where the h-e-double hockey sticks that thing came from!

So I don't remember if this topic was touched on already, but I was wondering if anyone knows if we'd be allowed to get a mac at all for the laptop requirement. I know we need to be able to run windows, but I feel like that's doable with virtual PC or the new boot camp software that lets you run XP and the mac OS.

I've been a PC owner all of my life, but I use a mac at work and like it a lot more than my own virus infected laptop.

shortyganoush said:
So I don't remember if this topic was touched on already, but I was wondering if anyone knows if we'd be allowed to get a mac at all for the laptop requirement. I know we need to be able to run windows, but I feel like that's doable with virtual PC or the new boot camp software that lets you run XP and the mac OS.

I've been a PC owner all of my life, but I use a mac at work and like it a lot more than my own virus infected laptop.
You can, but CU will not provide service for it like it will for the infected PCs. If something happens to your PC (which CU has loaded with all the stuff you need for school), you can bring it in and they will fix it and give you a temp one if it is going to be a while. No such luck for our little opaque white, disease-free friends.

gdbaby said:
So, this weird thing just happened to me that made me think of life back in Chi-town. So, tin can this is directed to you, but anyone else is welcome to pipe in.

When you are walking down the steets of Chicago, did you ever just have drops of water randomly land on you. They seem to have come out of nowhere (sunny day, no sprinklers on). I remember telling someone about chicago, "it's my favorite city inspite of the random drippings."

It just happened here in Denver as I was walking my dog and spreading strep throughout the neighborhood. Out of nowhere, I feel a drop of water hit my arm. I smiled thinking of chicago and then went back to wondering where the h-e-double hockey sticks that thing came from!

Hmmm...I did spit off of the Sears Tower earlier today...you don't think...nahh.

Ha, ha! I love this quote, "[Chicago,] it's my favorite city inspite of the random drippings." I can totally relate! Amuse me while I give you quick rundown of my experiences:
I am confident that I have been "dripped" on every single day for the last 2 years! Certain days, like today, I cannot confirm the randomness of the drippings b/c it rained all day; I firmly believe that the drips are still there, but have cleaverly disguised themselves amongst the fierce Chicago drizzle. anyway, some days I'm absolutely convinced that someone just scored 50 points in a game of SPIT on the top of one of the buildings (this is an optimistic hope). But, then, there are other days where I know exactly who's at fault...it's the birds! One of the office interns was a victim of the Chi-town birds on his first day of work last year! That was great until I found myself a vicitm twice, both times on the way to work =( Then, of course, there are window washers, ice, and snow to factor into the line-up. One time, true story, I was suddenly struck by an egg! Stupidly, I looked UP for the source. A second later my mad deduction skillz solved the following formula: high school prom season + screeching tires + to the best of my knowlege, it's not possible to lay and fly simultaneously + i'm a big dork = I was a 24 year-old victim of a high school prank. Yep, good times, can't wait for the ol'high school reunion =)

Call me crazy, but if Denver is leaking too, I would assign blame to airplane lavatories first! Wait, hold the phone, are you sure you weren't just clearing your mucus-filled lungs upwind? I suppose I'll reserve judgement until I get more facts.

Ok, it's been a long day and I'm now the definition of rambling.

Have a good night, All!

shortyganoush said:

I'm planning on getting an Apple to meet the CU requirements. Windows performance is more than adequate using boot camp. I know the systems people at CU won't support it and that is fine with me. As long as you don't feel you need their support, get the Apple.

drgoodlove said:
I'm planning on getting an Apple to meet the CU requirements. Windows performance is more than adequate using boot camp. I know the systems people at CU won't support it and that is fine with me. As long as you don't feel you need their support, get the Apple.

I want to do this too but worry about the PDA component. Will you buy a Windows compatible PDA and use it with bootcamp when you need to sync with the computer?

bkflaneur said:
I want to do this too but worry about the PDA component. Will you buy a Windows compatible PDA and use it with bootcamp when you need to sync with the computer?

I was also planning on getting an Apple and if I have to sync my PDA with Windows, just use bootcamp. Hopefully I won't have any problems and if I do, I'm hoping I can find fixes myself.

I'm looking forward to meeting you ABB and I hope the house hunting goes well. I just sent out the final planning information for the race this weekend. This is going to be fun!

gdbaby said:
I did run 7 miles yesterday

Just out of curiousity, where do you run 7 miles in Park Hill? Is there a good trail systems close by?

I just have a quick question about health insurance. Does anyone out there have a brillant plan for getting affordable health insurance b/w now and August? My last day of work is tomorrow, so my health insurance will expire on May 31st. I looked into COBRA, but that will cost me $450/month! All I need is some sort of catastrophic health insurance policy. I'm generally healthy and have enough physician-friends that I'm not worried about getting simple Rx's for allergies, sinus infections, strep, whatever might hit me b/w now and then.
The pre-economics in medicine research me would just chance it and go w/o insurance, but now that I know how much a simple broken bone can cost you, I'm not so willing to chance it anymore =)

tin can said:
I just have a quick question about health insurance. Does anyone out there have a brillant plan for getting affordable health insurance b/w now and August? My last day of work is tomorrow, so my health insurance will expire on May 31st. I looked into COBRA, but that will cost me $450/month! All I need is some sort of catastrophic health insurance policy. I'm generally healthy and have enough physician-friends that I'm not worried about getting simple Rx's for allergies, sinus infections, strep, whatever might hit me b/w now and then.
The pre-economics in medicine research me would just chance it and go w/o insurance, but now that I know how much a simple broken bone can cost you, I'm not so willing to chance it anymore =)

I recommend checking into Anthem - they have very competitive rates. I just did a quick check for someone your age and you can be covered for $127 - $186 / month with a $500 deductible. I didn't read the details, but it's a place for you to start. Good luck!

tin can said:
I just have a quick question about health insurance. Does anyone out there have a brillant plan for getting affordable health insurance b/w now and August?

I definitely understand. After a ski accident this season and then getting hit by a car on my bike this spring, I'm quite glad I didn't chance it and go uninsured for these six months. You might take a look at www.tonikhealth.com - if you're eligible, its pretty cheap and covers the big stuff.

I have spent the week being exceedingly lazy and enjoying our new bunny. We have taken her on a couple of "hops" with her new harness and leash - she's very funny. She likes to run up the ramps we have made for her which go up to the couch and bed. Her favorite trick is to run really fast and fling herself off the top while she flies through the air with her ears straight out like wings.

We are off to Rhode Island for the weekend and then Chicago for the week after that to visit our respective families. Good luck to all of the marathoners. Have fun!

I have faced this same issue but decided to just do COBRA - worth it to me to keep the continuity as i am still in active PT from shoulder surgery. Does anybody know when the student health plan actually kicks in? I know for many jobs there is a waiting period, but are we covered from day 1?

I was with Kaiser for a year before med school (four years ago). It was $100/mo.

Consider going elsewhere for health insurance permanently. Student health insurance is about $2000 a year and it's absolutely atrocious. Don't let the "free care at Student Health Clinic" fool you. You will be seen by NPs only and since all labs and xrays go through University, you will get billed. And since student insurance doesn't cover any preventative/screening care, you WILL get billed. The insurance company also has the worst customer service imaginable (phone just rings forever). Stay away!

ABB said:
I have faced this same issue but decided to just do COBRA - worth it to me to keep the continuity as i am still in active PT from shoulder surgery. Does anybody know when the student health plan actually kicks in? I know for many jobs there is a waiting period, but are we covered from day 1?

I wanted to do COBRA but it was going to cost me $657/month for me and my wife so it is not an option. I've been considering what options I have for insurance and none seem to stand out above the rest. At about $175/month for the university insurance plan, does anybody know anything about it (deductible/coverage/copays/prescriptions)?

Mumpu said:
Consider going elsewhere for health insurance permanently. Student health insurance is about $2000 a year and it's absolutely atrocious. Don't let the "free care at Student Health Clinic" fool you. You will be seen by NPs only and since all labs and xrays go through University, you will get billed. And since student insurance doesn't cover any preventative/screening care, you WILL get billed. The insurance company also has the worst customer service imaginable (phone just rings forever). Stay away!

I think this pretty much answers my questions about the university plan. You beat me to the post.

mdtela said:
I definitely understand. After a ski accident this season and then getting hit by a car on my bike this spring, I'm quite glad I didn't chance it and go uninsured for these six months.
Yikes! This is exactly what I'm afraid of. I'm planning on driving back and forth b/w Colorado and Chicago in about a week and then b/w Philadelphia and Colorado the following week. Heaven forbid I get in an accident. Plus, I have a MUCH younger brother who always manages to talk me into doing something stupid. Also, I can't even tell you how many times I've had imprints of soccer balls or baseballs on me. To be fair, though, I think I've been directly responsible for "scratching his cornea" once (card throwing competition--I won) and indirectly once (when he was six, my older brother and I told him that he'd be a better soccer player if he could kick with both feet, so he tried it--both feet at the same time :laugh: )
Anyway, thanks for the great advice everyone. I'm going to look into it all this week.

apudoc said:
Just out of curiousity, where do you run 7 miles in Park Hill? Is there a good trail systems close by?
there are trails everywhere which are great for running and biking (without having to stop at too many lights). For me, I live about 1/2 mile from City Park. Doing a figure 8 thorugh the park plus the out and back from my house comes to 6.6 miles.

Mumpu said:
I was with Kaiser for a year before med school (four years ago). It was $100/mo.

You're kidding! What a terrible deal. In retrospect, the students at orientation did seem exceptionally cool when they were asked about the insurance plan; this should have been our first hint. This insurance business is quickly becoming an exciting challenge, almost like buying plane tickets and renting cars. It's going to be my mission this summer to find the best deal out there!

For the past two years, I have had a dental plan that was a total scam! I finally made time to go to the dentist and when I got there they told me that they could not clean my teeth (the reason I scheduled the appointment) because they had to first "survey" my teeth! What the?! So they did that and told me to return a week later. When I returned they told me that they still could not do the cleaning b/c I had a heart murmur years ago and I need to go to my primary care doctor to get antibiotics/a note, tacking 2 more copays on to the deal. Ok, so I've never had a dentist tell me this before, that really wasn't the big problem b/c apparently their concern was somewhat valid. The problem was that they didn't tell me this during my first appointment when they told me that I had a couple dozen cavities and need all sorts of work (never had a cavity in my life, by the way). Ok, I'll cut to the chase. I was so outraged by their business practices b/c they were clearly just trying to bill my insurance company 3 times for one visit that I decided to pay out-of-pocket at my dentist in Colorado. The best part was when my old dentist told me that I didn't have anything even close to a cavity! To think, I almost let somebody drill holes in my teeth to "fix" non-existant holes.

How crazy was that?! They tried to bill my insurance company 3 times what they should have, tried to force me to pay a total of 5 separate copays, almost cost my employer 3+ half-days of work, wasted all of the money from my paycheck that went towards my dental plan, and tried to sell me who knows how many dollars worth of unnecessary dental work. Personally, I think this is how they pay for their big, fancy offices on Michigan Ave.

tin can said:
The best part was when my old dentist told me that I didn't have anything even close to a cavity! To think, I almost let somebody drill holes in my teeth to "fix" non-existant holes.

How crazy was that?! They tried to bill my insurance company 3 times what they should have, tried to force me to pay a total of 5 separate copays, almost cost my employer 3+ half-days of work, wasted all of the money from my paycheck that went towards my dental plan, and tried to sell me who knows how many dollars worth of unnecessary dental work. Personally, I think this is how they pay for their big, fancy offices on Michigan Ave.

I think that we had the same goald coast dentist. Almost the exact thing hapened to me! I finally have a good dentist in Denver. SO I am happy to refer anyone to her. Although they are all a little crazy.

-gd

medicalbound said:
I recommend checking into Anthem - they have very competitive rates. I just did a quick check for someone your age and you can be covered for $127 - $186 / month with a $500 deductible. I didn't read the details, but it's a place for you to start. Good luck!

Very cool. I check the rates for myself, my wife, and the new baby. $390 for the 3 of us - not bad considering what it includes. I've looked at Sam's Club and they have some decently priced plans; however, I do not think any of them were as comprehensive as Anthem.

TacoStand said:
Very cool. I check the rates for myself, my wife, and the new baby. $390 for the 3 of us - not bad considering what it includes. I've looked at Sam's Club and they have some decently priced plans; however, I do not think any of them were as comprehensive as Anthem.

Gotta love Sam's. "Yeah, I'll take 2,500 size 2 Pampers... no, the smaller one up there...that's it. Also, I need a metric ton of Ramen noodles. Oh, and if you could toss in some health insurance for the fam that would be great."

Yep, we'll be buying the "Sam's size" products for the next few years. Taco, if you find better health insurance than Anthem, let me know as we are on the prowl.

By the way, for all you SDNers far and away, I can personally vouch that baby 'Stand is a cutie-pie. :)

Tin Can, they don't "survey" for cavities. For gold maybe, or for oil. Hence the drilling. :p

Not to freak anyone out, but I was chatting with one of the anatomy profs today and I guess the anatomy curriculum is very compacted. The Body Worlds 2 exhibit is in town until July 23 and IMHO it's very worthwhile to visit it -- you'll never see anatomy that well on your pickled cadavers and the craftsmanship (craftspersonship?) is amazing.

Take it with a grain of salt, but the prof also thought people should read an anatomy book before starting first year. If I recall, she mentioned Drake's "Gray's Anatomy for Students" -- the real Gray's is pretty unreadable unless you are comfortable with the orientation/relationship terminology, Moore's is hard to read, and Netter's atlas is just plain awful and disliked by most anatomy faculty. For what it's worth, P (pass) equals MD, you don't have to honor every single thing to get your specialty of choice, no matter how competitive, and anatomy is by far the most studying you will do in med school so it's nice to get it out of the way early. :)

FWIW, I did well without having prior anatomy or reading anatomy books in the summer, and I'm not exactly Dougie Houser. It's just a lot of memorization...

Mumpu said:
Tin Can, they don't "survey" for cavities. For gold maybe, or for oil. Hence the drilling. :p

Not to freak anyone out, but I was chatting with one of the anatomy profs today and I guess the anatomy curriculum is very compacted. The Body Worlds 2 exhibit is in town until July 23 and IMHO it's very worthwhile to visit it -- you'll never see anatomy that well on your pickled cadavers and the craftsmanship (craftspersonship?) is amazing.

Take it with a grain of salt, but the prof also thought people should read an anatomy book before starting first year. If I recall, she mentioned Drake's "Gray's Anatomy for Students" -- the real Gray's is pretty unreadable unless you are comfortable with the orientation/relationship terminology, Moore's is hard to read, and Netter's atlas is just plain awful and disliked by most anatomy faculty. For what it's worth, P (pass) equals MD, you don't have to honor every single thing to get your specialty of choice, no matter how competitive, and anatomy is by far the most studying you will do in med school so it's nice to get it out of the way early. :)

FWIW, I did well without having prior anatomy or reading anatomy books in the summer, and I'm not exactly Dougie Houser. It's just a lot of memorization...

Thanks for the tip Mumpu. I'm assuming that the anatomy curriculum "compaction" took place last year at the beginning of the new system. Also, during the pre-orientation, one of the anatomy profs stated that anatomy changed the least since anatomy is, well, anatomy and didn't fit well into a system integration approach. I have not taken anatomy before either, and I'm using my summer to spend time with my wife and kiddos before they hand me the blindfold and cigarrette.

Oh, and I agree. Body Worlds II is very well done and well worth the visit!

Yup, my understanding is the compaction took place with the new curriculum. IMHO gross anatomy is more of a right of passage than anything else these days-- surgical anatomy is quite different if you go a-slicin' and everyone else uses radiological anatomy which is more like the Visible Human Project. I bet several guided tours through something like Body Worlds would be a better use of your time. Better smelling too. :\

Sounds like there are now good books you can read -- text is extremely helpful in sorting out what connects to what. "The kneebone's connected to the... something! The something's connected to the... red thing! The red thing's connected to my wristwatch! Uh-oh..." Again, not to freak anyone out, and honestly, it's all downhill after anatomy.

I don't know if Meowmix has had a taste of the new curriculum (for some reason I think you are a third-year). The first years I spoke with are generally happy about the new system. There is a strong sentiment that the MSIs got to do more cool stuff early on. I taught a lot of physical exam sessions throughout the year and I can definitely say that the new MSIs at the end of their first year had significantly better exam skills and clinical acumen than I think my class did. So be excited!!! Plus, for head anatomy, you get to take a real skull home in a box.

Mumpu said:
Plus, for head anatomy, you get to take a real skull home in a box.

Very cool, but I can see questions from my kids being kind of awkward. "What's in the box daddy? Did you bring us a surprise!?" Me: "Ummmmmm".

health ins - I think it kicks in at the beginning of orientation week in Aug, but you can get more info at
http://www.uchsc.edu/studentinsurance/

I usually believe in paying into programs like this so that the price stays low for everyone, but like Mumpu, I have been very unhappy with the cost and quality of service. The catch is that if you want to buy something else, you have to prove that you are getting equivalent services to the school's plan. You can't buy a cheap, high-deductible plan with less coverage.

For short-term catastrophic, I used Fortis, which was cheap and available online instantly.

One other thing: if you're going to need any immunizations before school starts (hep B, PPD, etc.), do your best to get them at a low-cost public health clinic in your community, because the student health service charges top dollar. If you're already in Denver, Denver Health has the lowest prices.