University of Colorado Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
medicalbound said:
Very cool, but I can see questions from my kids being kind of awkward. "What's in the box daddy? Did you bring us a surprise!?" Me: "Ummmmmm".

No, sweet little Kaitlin, this is not a chew toy. Hey honey, the baby got into the box again...

Members don't see this ad.

The cat is out of the bag. I informed my boss today that I'm leaving (early to mid July). He was very excited for me. Not many people can agrue against pursuing your dreams. What a relief to not keep it quite any longer. One more task complete in this wild transition period.....

One possibility for health insurance is to use the Cobra grace period. You have 60 days to sign up for Cobra after leaving your job. So if you left your job five weeks ago, didn't make a decision about Cobra, then fall off your bike, I think you're still covered without problems. You would just have to pay the previous month's premium when you activate Cobra. But I'm no attorney - so you should be sure to read all the fine print on this to be sure.

This DOL site has good info on Cobra:

http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq_consumer_cobra.html

Members don't see this ad :)
The only thing with COBRA is that it's extremely expensive compared to regular insurance.

On a very sad note: my greyhound, Millie, died this morning. She had not been eating for about a week and when I took her to the vet on Saturday they diagnosed her with Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia--her immune system was destroying her healthy RBCs. They prescribed a heavy dose of steroids and she did eat a little after that, but then she didn't. When we brought her back in this morning her veins were almost completely collapsed from the lack of RBC's so we made the decision to euthanize her.

She was only with us for two weeks, yet I feel really lonely today.

Apparently, in a very small percentage of dogs, their bodies overreact to vaccinations so you will see AIHA approx 3-4 weeks after they have been vaccinated. That's about when we adopted her.

gd - i'm very sorry to hear about millie. losing a pet can be really hard.

Does anyone know the url to the lunchtime electives on the SOM website? I remember seeing it in the materials they gave us, but can't find it now.

Thanks.

I'm very sorry to hear about Millie gd. I think you made the right decision to let her go instead of her roller coastering through the treatments, transfusions, etc. I'm very sad for you guys. :(

Oh, Gd, that had to have been so hard. It sounds like Millie was very lucky to have a nice family that was able to take care of her and was able to make the tough decision.

So sorry Gd. :( I raised a tall one of Stone Pale Ale for her.

For lunchtime electives, take Lane Craddock's Cardiology something or other later in the year or as an MSII. It'll beat you down some (can't fail though) but you will come out with much better cardiac auscultation and ECG interpretation skills.

GD, so sorry for the loss. That must have been a very hard decision to make. Losing a pet is not an easy thing.

Sorry about Millie, GD. I had to make the choice once to have a pet put down, too, and couldn't believe how hard it was, even though it was clearly the only choice. How's your boy doing?

Members don't see this ad :)
osselot said:
Sorry about Millie, GD. I had to make the choice once to have a pet put down, too, and couldn't believe how hard it was, even though it was clearly the only choice. How's your boy doing?
Thanks. Oscar knew that Millie was sick, so I sat down with him yesterday after he asked to play with Millie and told him that Millie died today so she would not be back to play at our house. He seemed to get it, but then asked to play with Millie about an hour later. Since he's only 2, I don't think he has the cognitive ability to realize the permanency of death. However, because he is 2, hopefully his memory isn't as developed as an older child's either so that after a few days he may stop asking for Millie.

Sigh. It still hurts, but I am glad that I was with her when they put her down. When my cat, Murphy, had to be put to sleep, I let the vets take him out of the room to do it and I still regret that decision.

On a "happier" note: I heard that they were sending out our financial aid award letters this week. So hopefully we will have a better sense of the debt we are about to take on! I do not know if it will include any scholarship info, but I hope so!

No scholarships for me this year :(, but at least I got a thin letter telling me that I'm not deserving -- that makes it all better. Has anyone heard anything on the COA for this year?

medicalbound said:
No scholarships for me this year :(, but at least I got a thin letter telling me that I'm not deserving -- that makes it all better. Has anyone heard anything on the COA for this year?
Sorry MB. I looke donline yesterday and they do not have the new info up yet. Way to be on the ball, CU!

medicalbound said:

I called yesterday, and they said it was going to be $40k. I have the exact number written down at home, but that's the ballpark. We need to do some serious sweet talking to keep tuition hikes to a minimum. Now that the application process is over and the final bill is real, those numbers are scary.

medicalbound said:
No scholarships for me this year

Yep - same for me.

On a happy note - a realtor sign now sits in my front yard, and we have found a place to rent - 4th and Harrison (about .5 miles from the 9th Ave campus). We start our lease July 1. I'm ready to move up there and get settled!!!

Anyone else not have any of their childhood immunization records? My undergrad institution is supposed to fax my record; however, they are having issues, and I'm not sure it is going to contain the info I need :( . Looks like I might have to get titers/re-immunizations. Bummer...

TacoStand said:
On a happy note - a realtor sign now sits in my front yard, and we have found a place to rent - 4th and Harrison (about .5 miles from the 9th Ave campus). We start our lease July 1. I'm ready to move up there and get settled!!!

Anyone else not have any of their childhood immunization records? My undergrad institution is supposed to fax my record; however, they are having issues, and I'm not sure it is going to contain the info I need :( . Looks like I might have to get titers/re-immunizations. Bummer...

We have a realtor sign in front of our house in VA and can't wait for somebody to come along and take it off our hands. We went under contract on a house near 23rd and Fairfax, a couple miles from campus, and close at the end of June.

I spent all day earlier this week trying to track down my immunization records and ended up having to get them from 2 different undergrads and also my pediatrician that I haven't been to in 14 years. For some reason, no single record was complete so I had to get them all. My last PPD was 18 months ago and not within the last year as required on the form. Also, I got my tetanus done 4 years ago but it was at some small travel clinic in RI that I can't seem to find now so I think I'm going to have to get that again. I spoke with Willa and she said it was fine to miss the June 1 deadline as long as she knows I am working on it.

I've had a sign in my front yard for about 2 months now and still no contract. Lots of lookers, but no signatures as of yet. We're starting to get nervous since we really want to be moved and settled before school starts and paying both our mortgage and rent at the same time would be less than fun.

Taco, Mrs. MB wanted me to ask you if you used a realtor (or such) to find your rental or did you find it yourself?

As for immunizations, titers, here I come.

medicalbound said:
I've had a sign in my front yard for about 2 months now and still no contract. Lots of lookers, but no signatures as of yet. We're starting to get nervous since we really want to be moved and settled before school starts and paying both our mortgage and rent at the same time would be less than fun.

Taco, Mrs. MB wanted me to ask you if you used a realtor (or such) to find your rental or did you find it yourself?

As for immunizations, titers, here I come.

We did the research ourselves - Rentclicks.com, craigslist, info on student housing, and driving around. I was a little concerned about coordinating a single trip to see everything that we wanted to, but it worked out pretty good. We did see some houses that I wanted to douse myself and my baby with antibacterial sanitizer. When you hear, "Yeah, I don't think they have vacuumed in 4 years, but we will try to steam clean the stains." Hmmmm....how quickly can I exit....

apudoc said:
We have a realtor sign in front of our house in VA and can't wait for somebody to come along and take it off our hands. We went under contract on a house near 23rd and Fairfax, a couple miles from campus, and close at the end of June.

I spoke with Willa and she said it was fine to miss the June 1 deadline as long as she knows I am working on it.

Congratulations on finding a house! Very cool.

I'm relieved that the June 1 deadline is flexible. I finally received my undergrad records, and....it was pretty incomplete. Based on that record, I can skip 1 MMR, so I got shot up yesterday and I am getting my 2nd TB skin test done this morning. Whatever it takes....

So I was looking at the housing website, and it has a link for finding roommates if you have housing available. But if I'm planning on purchasing a 2-bedroom condo in the next few weeks, it wouldn't be out of escrow until mid to end July. As of now I'm not even positive where exactly I'm buying. So I was wondering if it will still be possible to find a roommate at that point through CU, or if I should just expect to craigslist it?

Has anyone heard anything on the "recommended models" for a laptop or pda from the "preferred manufacturer(s)?" I wanted to get a laptop pretty soon and have been looking at either the dell inspiron E1505 or E1405. Also, for the pda I was thinking of getting the Palm TX. What has everyone else been looking at?

Coloradohockey said:
Has anyone heard anything on the "recommended models" for a laptop or pda from the "preferred manufacturer(s)?" I wanted to get a laptop pretty soon and have been looking at either the dell inspiron E1505 or E1405. Also, for the pda I was thinking of getting the Palm TX. What has everyone else been looking at?

No word yet on the recommended models. I have a Palm TX currently and love it! The potential issue with this model, however, is that the minimum requirements for the PDA states Mobile Windows 2003 SE or better (i.e. not Palm OS). I will most likely purchase another PDA just to make it easier and my wife will inherit the Palm TX.

medicalbound said:
No word yet on the recommended models. I have a Palm TX currently and love it! The potential issue with this model, however, is that the minimum requirements for the PDA states Mobile Windows 2003 SE or better (i.e. not Palm OS). I will most likely purchase another PDA just to make it easier and my wife will inherit the Palm TX.

This was my understanding as well. Does anybody know much about Windows Mobile handhelds and/or have recommendations? I was planning on waiting to see what the school suggests but I'd also like to know a little about the product before I buy.

The class of 2008 (first one with mandatory PDA) was instructed to buy the Dell Axim V51 (top of the line model), and told that Palm would not be supported. We discovered that the required software works on a lot of other, less expensive PDAs, and you can use a Palm. I can't guarantee that that will be true for your class, but it may not be necessary to rush out and get the super-expensive Axim if you have a functional Palm or other older PDA. There is good software for Palm that is not yet available for Windows. And it's an open question about how much you will actually use your PDA in first year; I can't see you needing it during anatomy, for example! I could see using it once you start learning Pharm, later in the year.(but what do I know :D)

If you're going to get a Dell of any sort, look for coupons at places like this:
http://www.gottadeal.com/dell.php?category=inspiron
There were some excellent Axim deals last year.

Here's the info the class of 2009 just got:

What
PDA Minimum Technical Standards (Campus IS requires Windows Mobile)
• Mobile Windows 2003 SE or better
• Windows Media player 10 or equivalent
• 600 MHz or better
• 128MB ROM
• 64MB SDRAM,
• 802.11b or g

PC for synchronizing applications
High speed internet connection

So what about Mac users?
• Data for tracking competencies [this is a requirement for the school by the licensing board, more relevant to third year and later; the primary reason for us to have PDAs] can be entered directly onto a desktop computer via the web. Data can be entered onto a paper version of the tracking system (provided by ED&R) and later entered onto the computer. This is only a viable option for those students with a high speed internet connection.
• Palm OS PDAs can be synced to both a Mac (calendar functions, etc) and a PC (tracking software). Individual logins can be setup on student lab PC computers for syncing to a PC.
• Some free healthcare PDA software applications (Denison Library) will not work on a Mac (e.g., mobileMicromedex handheld version of Micromedex is Windows only. No Mac version. Palm and PocketPC), but some will (e.g., ePocrates Rx 6.0 Drug database with medical calculator. Palm and PocketPC). Please see the Denison Library website http://denison.uchsc.edu/education/PdaApplications.htm#healthcare for more information about available free software and hardware limitations.

When
Students in the Class of 2009 will be required to have a PDA by January 5, 2007. This will allow all second-year students to become familiar with the use of their PDA prior to beginning clerkships. Students who already have a PDA or who wish to purchase one prior to January 2007 are welcome to begin using their PDAs for tracking patients in FOD and to supplement the pharmacology content at the start of the Phase II curriculum in the fall of 2006. However, there will be no requirement to do so.

How
The Dell Axim V51 is the preferred PDA for PC users. A website will be available during June 2006 for students who wish to purchase their PDA through this site and receive the contracted price. Students are also encouraged to search over the summer for online coupons that can decrease the final cost of their PDAs from select manufacturers. The SOM will work to negotiate the best price possible, but you should try to find better deals that may be available at the time you wish purchase your PDA. If you do not yet own a laptop and wish to purchase one, you may want to check out the negotiated deals for IBM/Lenovo, Gateway, and Dell laptops. The website for CU SOM laptop purchases will be available in June 2006.

The ED&R IT staff will be available to help students load and trouble shoot PDA problems. The Denison Library staff will provide PDA classes specifically tailored to medical students PDA questions and needs.

Coloradohockey said:

I was in Denver last weekend looking for housing and met with Dr.Sondheimer while i was there. At one point the woman in charge of the computer stuff stopped by (can't remember her name). She said that they would choose reccomended models from 3 manufacturers (dell, gateway, lenovo) and setup a website where you can just purchase it yourself and then have it shipped directly to them. Also, supposedly they will set it up so that you cannot buy less that the minimum requirements, but can choose to upgrade. When i mentioned the idea of just buying one totally on your own that met their requirements and then bringing it to them, she reacted very negatively and suggested that they probably wouldn't support it. Bottom line: buy one of their models if you want their help. She didn't say anything about PDA's but i assume something similar. As for when that will be available, she said "early to mid june" so i guess any day now... ;)

ABB said:
Bottom line: buy one of their models if you want their help.

Absolutely. If you buy through them, you get someone on site to handle problems (e.g. if your computer dies, you get a quicker replacement with less hassle). I'm not sure about the quality of their tech support, so I can't address that.

If you feel confident about handling problems on your own, and you would be OK with not having a computer at home for a few days if you had problems, then you will not need their support. There are plenty of free computers to use at school. Also, the library provides help with laptop wireless access etc. for students on all platforms at no charge, and you can log in to the network from home from any platform, or the wireless network at school from either PC or Mac.

The point is, you'll be fine without the latest greatest newest laptop. At the same time, if your only computer is a slow desktop with a dial-up modem, you might want to upgrade.

MeowMix said:
The point is, you'll be fine without the latest greatest newest laptop. At the same time, if your only computer is a slow desktop with a dial-up modem, you might want to upgrade.

Thanks for all your comments and help!

Wow, they are pwning you guys... I went through school with a $60 Palm Clie TJ25 with a 32 mb memory stick and never felt the need for anything bigger (free Epocrates, free Medcalc, free Medrules, free Eponyms, free Hopkins Abx Guide). Also, when they tell you to buy a diagnostic kit, do not go for the Panopticon (or whatever that giant tube is called) no matter how much they promise you that you will be able to see life, universe, and everything. Save yourself $300 and get a regular ophthalmoscope (even better, find one used on eBay) -- it's what all ERs and offices have and it's the one you'll need to be comfortable with.

I'll be happy to answer any other "way down the line" questions and I'm sure I'll see at least some of you on the wards (I'll be at CU for residency). Not that you know who I am... :cool:

Whew - only 2 more months stand between us and the great unknown adventure of med school.

Good news - my house is under contract. Looks like I'll be moving up to Denver at the end of the month!

These days, finding myself in semi-retirement I find myself often saying "wow, my life is so freakin easy!" I have a feeling that won't last for long. I recently returned from the family tour - Rhode Island/Downstate Illinois/Chicago - definitely not as fun as the Phish tour my summers used to be consumed by.... But, Chicago was really, really fun. And yes, I got dripped on every day that we were there. So now we're home, chillin with the bunny (which reminds me, so, so very truly sorry about Millie).

I'm very glad that someone mentioned the June 1st deadline on the immunizations. I had sort of been thinking that it was due at orientation, so I'm glad for the reminder to get a move-on. Two questions, though - for anyone getting the two step PPD - as far as I can tell I have to pay four co-pays: two for the shots and two for the "readings." ("yeah, I know its not red - thanks!") I know this sounds pretty petty, but having gotten the bottom line this week, I feel like I should be conserving. Has anyone found a way around this? And my second question is about the chicken pox. Are you guys just putting in the date you had it (I know it was the 80s, my parents swear 1985(ish)) or are you actually getting a titer?

No scholarships for me, either. And the National Health Service Corps interview was horendous. I love that the loan calculator for the "entrance interview" told me I need to plan on earning $218,000/year to support my loans. Ummm..... primary care?? That's hilarious!

Well, back to summertime fun. Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice, etc. And maybe I just missed this, but how did the team marathon go??

mdtela said:
Two questions, though - for anyone getting the two step PPD - as far as I can tell I have to pay four co-pays: two for the shots and two for the "readings." ("yeah, I know its not red - thanks!") I know this sounds pretty petty, but having gotten the bottom line this week, I feel like I should be conserving. Has anyone found a way around this?

Go to Denver Health (605 Bannock, first floor) or the Beacon Clinic in Boulder (1136 Alpine Ave., Suite 205, 303-938-3167). $15 for shot + reading at DH, about the same at the Beacon Clinic. No need to pay $45 or whatever to a regular clinic (some insurance will cover immunizations, but not all). Unfortunately the Boulder Co Health Dept no longer does TB shots, but they will give you cheap Hep B etc.

With varicella, usually you just tell them you had it with approx date; they only want a titer for childhood history of MMR.

Don't know where the 218K/yr figure came from. Student loan repayment is roughly the same deal as 30-year mortgages, figure around 700 dollars/month for every hundred thousand you owe. You can make 50k and still do fine.

Mumpu said:
Don't know where the 218K/yr figure came from. Student loan repayment is roughly the same deal as 30-year mortgages, figure around 700 dollars/month for every hundred thousand you owe. You can make 50k and still do fine.

Thanks - and also for the immunization stuff, Meow. I thought that 218k seemed pretty ridiculous, too. Good to know ballpark on repayment. Thanks!

mdtela said:
And maybe I just missed this, but how did the team marathon go??

I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying your summer - I know I am as well. After reading your post, I realized that most/all of the marathon traffic moved to email and we didn't update everyone else who might have been interested. The marathon relay was a lot of fun! gdbaby, abb, myself, and a second-year and his wife made up the team. I hope we can compete in future events together and hopefully we can get others in the school to participate as well.

Yes, the marathon relay was a lot of fun- although being my first run at altitude it was quite a humbling experience! School for me is almost done - just gave finals last week; one more week of grading/final meetings before my official last day on friday! As such i have finally locked up my summer plans and look to be in Denver around sunday, june 25th. I will be there for a week to find a place before leaving for a month-long lap around the country - figured i should go pay my respects to friends and family before I disappear for four years! Will anyone be around then? I'll be looking to try to catch some world cup games in between my apartment hunting if any of you are interested (or maybe know any good places that are opening up early to show the games?) I assume everyone got the laptop/pda e-mail - looks like they actually got some pretty good deals for what we're getting...

Mumpu said:

I always feel like Eyeore when it comes to the cost of attendance. But given the projected costs, that will roughly be a $1400/month loan payment. So while you might not need to make $218k, it's still not pretty.

I was just looking at the computer/pda letter. Is everyone going to buy the recommended PDA right away? It looks like they're recommending the top of the line Dell. Every med student I've talked to has said to wait until 3rd year to buy a PDA. I'd like to save my money until I really need it, but don't want to be caught out if it really is necessary.

bkflaneur said:
I always feel like Eyeore when it comes to the cost of attendance. But given the projected costs, that will roughly be a $1400/month loan payment. So while you might not need to make $218k, it's still not pretty.

I was just looking at the computer/pda letter. Is everyone going to buy the recommended PDA right away? It looks like they're recommending the top of the line Dell. Every med student I've talked to has said to wait until 3rd year to buy a PDA. I'd like to save my money until I really need it, but don't want to be caught out if it really is necessary.

I just wanted to let everyone know that the laptop prices offered through the school are okay if you are set on purchasing one of those models, but I found a much better deal on a Dell Inspiron E1505. Through one of Dell's promotions, I purchased an E1505 for only $1196 shipped with the following specs:

1.83 Pentium Duo Core Processor
2 GB RAM
100 GB Hard Drive
15.4" SXGA+ LCD screen with Truelife technology
256 mb video card
DVD Burner/CD Burner
4 year warranty w/4 year accidental damage

This notebook was originally $2050.00, but they have a promotion through June 15th (I think the 15th is the date) where you get $750 off any notebook over $2000. Also, if you go through Dell's EPP site, you get an additional 12% off (which ended up being another $160 or so for me). The price was $1135 after all discounts, so with ~$63 in tax and free shipping I arrived at $1198. I know everyone will have a different preference on what make/model they want, but I just thought I'd let anyone who was interested in a Dell know what is available by simply spending a little time getting all applicable discounts. Also, I would wait on purchasing the Axim PDA because you can get one for less than $300 when Dell has another good promotion on them. Hope that helps at least a few people.

Also, for those interested in an Apple - check out applerockies.com for the discounted prices and a free ipod nano.

In terms of the university pricing, I agree that you can usually find better deals by shopping around for promotions and discount codes, especially when it comes to Dell.

also, buying computers on ebay can be a great option... i got a factory refurbished IBM Thinkpad T43 for a great price, still with a three year factory warranty. be very careful, make sure you know exactly what you're bidding on and that it's from a reputable seller, but... this can be a good way to save some $

ABB said:
Yes, the marathon relay was a lot of fun- although being my first run at altitude it was quite a humbling experience! School for me is almost done - just gave finals last week; one more week of grading/final meetings before my official last day on friday! As such i have finally locked up my summer plans and look to be in Denver around sunday, june 25th. I will be there for a week to find a place before leaving for a month-long lap around the country - figured i should go pay my respects to friends and family before I disappear for four years! Will anyone be around then? I'll be looking to try to catch some world cup games in between my apartment hunting if any of you are interested (or maybe know any good places that are opening up early to show the games?) I assume everyone got the laptop/pda e-mail - looks like they actually got some pretty good deals for what we're getting...
Well, of course I will be around. I actually have a tri the day you come in. Do you need a place to crash while you look for apartments? Joe is taping many of the World Cup games and is a huge fan, so you would be in good company at our house. PM if you are interested.

We will be touring the country and then some as well. Oregon, to visit Joe's mom, Martha's Vineyard to visit Joe's sister and dad, Cabo San Lucas for some beach/pool time and to cathc up on my US Weekly magazines, and a trip back to Chi-town to see my mom and dad (my dad was recently diagnosed with cancer so I want to visit post-surgery/pre-med school). We are bringing our 2 year=old for all of these trips. He handles the time changes better than us!

We should start a list of when people are coming into town. Really, if anyone needs a place to stay while they are looking for apartments, please let me know. Must love dogs, cats, and toddlers.

ABB said:
I'll be looking to try to catch some world cup games in between my apartment hunting if any of you are interested (or maybe know any good places that are opening up early to show the games?)

I LOVE the world cup. Its a great month to be unemployed. Since I'm up in Boulder, I'm not sure where the good places in Denver to watch the games are, but I'd be happy to drive down for a Class of '10 world cup watching event while you're in town. Speaking of which, time to get going so I can get a good table for the US game this morning....

mdtela said:
I LOVE the world cup. Its a great month to be unemployed. Since I'm up in Boulder, I'm not sure where the good places in Denver to watch the games are, but I'd be happy to drive down for a Class of '10 world cup watching event while you're in town. Speaking of which, time to get going so I can get a good table for the US game this morning....

I'm planning on returning "permanently" to CO in about a week and will also be looking for some good World Cup friends...oh how I wish I was sitting with Sam's Army behind the goals!
I really need to start figuring out all of this computer, pda, immunization stuff asap. However, the US just got their butts kicked by the CR today and I'm depressed. Personally, I think I'm just going to follow all of the recommendations when it comes to the computer stuff. I'm terrified of having serious computer problems during school. Computer problems at work were kind of a bummer, but at least I got paid for the time that I spent fixing them. This definitely won't be the case now.
As for the TB test/ 4 copay thing. This has also crossed my mind. However, I just talked to my doctor about it and he told me not to worry about the multiple co-pays. So, if you have a cool doc, maybe you can demonstrate your knowledge of the system and reason with him/her. Just a thought.

Okay. What about a World Cup day in Denver on Monday the 26th? I can scope out good places to watch. There is that British Pub I mentioned a while back.....

gdbaby said:
Okay. What about a World Cup day in Denver on Monday the 26th? I can scope out good places to watch. There is that British Pub I mentioned a while back.....

I would definitely be in for a world cup watching day. On the 26th, there are games at 9am and 1pm. The first is going to be the winner of the group containing the US (probably Czech or Italy) vs. probably Australia or Brazil (more likely Australia). And the second game will be the winner of group G vs. second place of group H (I have no idea - H hasn't even started). Just choose the place...

And yes, I did manage to negotiate from 4 co-pays down to 1. But this vaccination stuff does take some serious time (in case you haven't started...)

Hope to see a few of you on the 26th...

gdbaby said:
the 26th sounds great! if the US is in the game by some off chance that they recover from yesterday's game and win their group, then i suspect my friends in pueblo will be calling in sick and i won't be able to go :) either way, it should be fun.

gdbaby said:

this sounds good to me. I've been watching the games at a british pub here in sf and the atmosphere is great - definately nice to watch with a crowd that understands and appreciates soccer (errr.. football) :)