University of Colorado Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
apudoc said:
I'm guessing they are still going to make my wife and I pay taxes (property, sales, income) even though we are considered second class CO citizens.
Yes. But if it makes you feel better, anyone whose family hasn't been in Colorado for at least two generations is considered a second-class citizen. I've been here 5 years and am still called a "visitor."

But I do get in-state tuition.

Great meeting everyone on Friday!

Members don't see this ad.

I feel really bad for the oos people, but if it makes the waitlist go on - I want to be a little selfish. So maybe I will be your classmate next year afterall, the outlook from my waitlist meeting in the beginning of april was grim.

I think the cutest places to live are the condos in the cherry creek area, but they are awfully expensive. Since I don't know where I'll be going until what seems like late summer, I would probably be living with my parents, woo!

this is pretty funny so I thought I would share some self-depricating humor:

In my linguistics class today, I was teaching my students about different types of identity. One of these is personal identity (being hotheaded, a brown-nose, a gossip, etc). So, I am telling them about how these are very unique to each person and while they are often contested, they rarely change in any given situation.

Well, this reminded me of myself at Friday's Open House. Prior to leaving my house for the day I was playing some Madonna (very good getting-ready-to-go-out music) and saying to myself "Okay, here is a chance to reinvent yourself. None of these people really know you. They don't have to know that you tend to make up names for people you don't know based on one impression." So I get to the open house and I am good for about 20 minutes. Then I see "stinky MCAT guy"--the guy who sat next to me at the MCAT who had crazy-bad B.O. Well, that was it. By the end of the day I had four names already going on my future classmates. I could not escape my personal identity. I tried to contest it, but I ended up defeated.

Sincerely,

gdbaby--"the insecure, name-calling girl"

Members don't see this ad :)
gdbaby said:
By the end of the day I had four names already going on my future classmates. I could not escape my personal identity. I tried to contest it, but I ended up defeated.

Sincerely,

gdbaby--"the insecure, name-calling girl"
4 names already?!
i sure hope my name is "cool shoes girl" and not "tag girl" b/c i did end up finding another tag on my new jeans after i got home! i took off at least 4 tags! i mean, how many tags do you need to put on a pair of pants anyway?! :)
it was nice meeting you all on friday!

tin can said:
4 names already?!
i sure hope my name is "cool shoes girl" and not "tag girl" b/c i did end up finding another tag on my new jeans after i got home! i took off at least 4 tags! i mean, how many tags do you need to put on a pair of pants anyway?! :)
it was nice meeting you all on friday!
HA! You are totally cool shoes girl. I just got my shoes from REI that reminded me of yours, but my first reaction was "They are not as cool as Tin Can's" So yes, Cool Shoes Girl you are!

I remember once I bought a dress for a wedding and left the tags on because I was going to return it (I was a poor grad student). But the whole evening I kept telling people to say away from me because I didn't want to mess up the dress.When I got home the tag was all faded from sweating while dancing! I'm such a boob. TC, at least you didn't have one of those long sticky tags going down the side of your jeans. Or perhaps an "Inspected by #17" stuck on your butt.

MeowMix said:
It is really bad news, and it is very expensive. Although the decision was at least made before your final deadline of May 15, it is really crappy that it was made so late in the year, when many people have already declined other acceptances. If it's any consolation, the current students all feel really bad for the incoming OOS students, and if we could have done anything about this, we would have. Sorry.

I do appreciate the sentiment, effort, and information you've been able to provide. For better or worse, I declined my other acceptances about a week before I learned about this tuition change so for me it is CO at any cost. I'm not sure if this would have changed my decision or not. Oh well. Seems like they could have made this into a positive by setting it up so that the extra yearly OOS fee is forgiven for every year you practice in the state post residency. Sort of like a special loan repayment for OOS folks wanting to help CO meet their doc shortages.

apudoc said:
Seems like they could have made this into a positive by setting it up so that the extra yearly OOS fee is forgiven for every year you practice in the state post residency. Sort of like a special loan repayment for OOS folks wanting to help CO meet their doc shortages.

Here's a list of programs that offer loan repayment for physicians practicing in Colorado:
http://www.uchsc.edu/ahec/lrp/index.htm

Other options include the Indian Health Service (IHS), and many smaller communities may offer some other type of loan repayment to attract physicians. The usual loan repayment is about $20-25,000/year.

MeowMix said:
Here's a list of programs that offer loan repayment for physicians practicing in Colorado:

Other options include the Indian Health Service (IHS), and many smaller communities may offer some other type of loan repayment to attract physicians. The usual loan repayment is about $20-25,000/year.

Thanks for the info. I was planning on doing IHS or some other loan repayment program but the extra $40000 in tuition is going to extend that process.

So...any bets on when TacoStand's wife has her baby? Let's make the wager the same as our bet on Spellman's decision letters--a beer of the winner's choosing.

Today is my son's birthday (2!).

I think that Taco's baby will be born on May 2.

gdbaby said:
Today is my son's birthday (2!).

I think that Taco's baby will be born on May 2.

Happy Day to your son. May 2 sounds good but I'm guessing it will be the 1st. Considering I've never met Taco or his wife, this is not very reliable.

On another note, I got the email from Dean Sondheimer with the notes from Friday and was wondering if anybody could enlighten me with more details about picking a preceptor in June. Did I read that right?

apudoc said:
Happy Day to your son. May 2 sounds good but I'm guessing it will be the 1st. Considering I've never met Taco or his wife, this is not very reliable.

On another note, I got the email from Dean Sondheimer with the notes from Friday and was wondering if anybody could enlighten me with more details about picking a preceptor in June. Did I read that right?
They will send us a form in June asking us a bunch of stuff like: specialty (IM, FP, Peds, etc), do you have a car, male/female, etc. They use those forms to match us with our preceptors which, if I understood correctly, will start right after anatomy.

MeowMix said:

Yes, thanks meow for all the info - its great to have an inside source willing to answer questions! I have a colleague who used to be involved with the colorado legislature and says that this type of last minute financial descision making is very typical. I guess that's what scares me more: what's to stop them from increasing not only tuition by a big chunk each year, but also changing this $25,000 fee?! Maybe its unreasonable to expect to know how much the total cost will be over 4 years right now given the future unknowns, but other schools seem to be able to do a much better job of giving a ballpark figure that ends up being close to correct. Anyway, i suppose that at some point i'll just have to bite the bullet and sign on the dotted line... just feels like writing a blank check for untold thousands that i'll spend the rest of my life paying back :(

ABB said:
Yes, thanks meow for all the info - its great to have an inside source willing to answer questions! I have a colleague who used to be involved with the colorado legislature and says that this type of last minute financial descision making is very typical. I guess that's what scares me more: what's to stop them from increasing not only tuition by a big chunk each year, but also changing this $25,000 fee?! Maybe its unreasonable to expect to know how much the total cost will be over 4 years right now given the future unknowns, but other schools seem to be able to do a much better job of giving a ballpark figure that ends up being close to correct. Anyway, i suppose that at some point i'll just have to bite the bullet and sign on the dotted line... just feels like writing a blank check for untold thousands that i'll spend the rest of my life paying back :(
All true.

I hope people don't confuse our f'ed up legistlative process and the animosity between the Boulder campus and UCHSC (which seemed to speed-up the change in OOS tuition) with what a great school we will be going to and the great education we will receive. Just remember the reasons why you liked CU in the first place! For me it was early clinical exposure, diverse patient populations and proximity to a bunch of recreational opportunities that I won't see until after anatomy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tin Can,
I am going to make a giant presumptuous leap based on something you said on Friday, but Al Franken is going to be at the Steppenwolf on May 8th. You goin'? Just another reason to be jealous of my future classmates in Chicago.

gdbaby said:
Tin Can,
I am going to make a giant presumptuous leap based on something you said on Friday, but Al Franken is going to be at the Steppenwolf on May 8th. You goin'? Just another reason to be jealous of my future classmates in Chicago.
I didn't even know about that! The Steppenwolf puts up advertisements all the time, but unfortunately the background is always the same, so when I scan them quickly when I'm running to work in the mornings, I ususally don't notice that the words have actually changed. Not so observant of me, I know. I'll have to get the 411 from Metromix.com. I have such a love-hate relationship with that website.
My co-workers and I would like to thank you for the heads-up!

tin can said:
I didn't even know about that! The Steppenwolf puts up advertisements all the time, but unfortunately the background is always the same, so when I scan them quickly when I'm running to work in the mornings, I ususally don't notice that the words have actually changed. Not so observant of me, I know. I'll have to get the 411 from Metromix.com. I have such a love-hate relationship with that website.
My co-workers and I would like to thank you for the heads-up!
No problem! You can also go to airamericaradio.com and go to the Al Franken Show. From the info they have posted it looks like you have to send in for tickets, but it also looks like they are FREE! I'll send you some underwear for Al to sign. "to gdbaby: you rock my world! Hugs and kisses, Al"

ABB said:
I guess that's what scares me more: what's to stop them from increasing not only tuition by a big chunk each year, but also changing this $25,000 fee?! Maybe its unreasonable to expect to know how much the total cost will be over 4 years right now given the future unknowns, but other schools seem to be able to do a much better job of giving a ballpark figure that ends up being close to correct.

The tuition stuff is bad news for in state and OOS. The bad news for in-state people that wasn't included in the notes was that in a worst case scenario model for tuition hikes, they said tuition could go up 10% each year. I didn't understand all their numbers - but they said we should estimate $138k for the fixed costs over four years (tuition, books, computer, health insurance). Then we should add $1300/month in living expenses to get the total cost of attendance. That's pretty close to the cost of a private med school. Maybe the worst case scenario won't become reality, but it seems like a real possibility.

I don't mean to be a dark cloud. There was a lot from Friday that seemed great, and I'm pscyched for med school at CU. But the money's ugly.

ABB said:
I guess that's what scares me more: what's to stop them from increasing not only tuition by a big chunk each year, but also changing this $25,000 fee?! Maybe its unreasonable to expect to know how much the total cost will be over 4 years right now given the future unknowns, but other schools seem to be able to do a much better job of giving a ballpark figure that ends up being close to correct.

This is exactly the problem. UCHSC, in the past, has held itself above the rules that other schools follow as far as timely disclosure of tuition and fees for the following year. We have begged the administration to commit to a predictable 4-year fee structure for incoming students, and they have refused; to be fair, this is partly because the state funding is such an unknown right now, and predictions are difficult.

My guess is that it is unlikely that the $25K fee would increase much further, but the tuition increase is a big unknown, as well as any additional fees that may be added to cover expenses. Unfortunately, this is one thing that I took for granted when I made my school decision; I never imagined that the school could change the numbers so much. I did not realize that they absolutely have that ability, just as most other schools do without a written commitment otherwise.

If I were you, I would be sitting down with my partner to talk about how we could live on a rock-bottom budget for the next few years. And definitely get rid of anything resembling credit-card debt before you start school, even if it means you have to take a menial job for a couple of months to bring in some more cash, or sell off a bunch of stuff before you move here.

bkflaneur said:
The tuition stuff is bad news for in state and OOS. The bad news for in-state people that wasn't included in the notes was that in a worst case scenario model for tuition hikes, they said tuition could go up 10% each year. I didn't understand all their numbers - but they said we should estimate $138k for the fixed costs over four years (tuition, books, computer, health insurance). Then we should add $1300/month in living expenses to get the total cost of attendance. That's pretty close to the cost of a private med school. Maybe the worst case scenario won't become reality, but it seems like a real possibility.

I don't mean to be a dark cloud. There was a lot from Friday that seemed great, and I'm pscyched for med school at CU. But the money's ugly.
Maybe we should all go on Deal or No Deal. Or we should just win something!! I laughed out loud last night on The Apprentice when Lee was quoted saying "Winning: the best cure for feeling like crap."

I have ot go play trivial pursuit with my 2 year old son. Maybe I'll win.

Well after much consideration, my wife and I have decided that buying a house is not the best option for us. My very pregnant wife and I have spent at least 100+ hrs researching and looking at houses. If anyone is looking at buying, PM me and I can send you my research and give you a realtor contact that helped us. There are some good houses ~3 miles from the school that are in a safe, decent neighborhood.

TacoStand said:
Well after much consideration, my wife and I have decided that buying a house is not the best option for us. My very pregnant wife and I have spent at least 100+ hrs researching and looking at houses. If anyone is looking at buying, PM me and I can send you my research and give you a realtor contact that helped us. There are some good houses ~3 miles from the school that are in a safe, decent neighborhood.

Hey there Taco, I hope your wife is doing okay - I know that she must be ready to get things going.

We've reached the same conclusion as you and your wife, although we're still considering options. I'd love to receive the information you gathered to see if it matches our own. How about lunch sometime this week? Email me.

medicalbound said:
We've reached the same conclusion as you and your wife, although we're still considering options. I'd love to receive the information you gathered to see if it matches our own. How about lunch sometime this week? Email me.

Medicalbound and Taco, I'd be interested in why both of you decided against buying a place in the Denver area. My wife and I are currently looking into our options in different parts of the city but aren't sure what the result of our research will be. What tipped the scales against buying?

I'm trying to gauge just how outraged I should be about all of this tuition stuff. If the in-state tuition increases by a maximum of 10% each year, how will this compare to increases at private schools? I was talking to a 7-year program student at Albany Medical School a few months ago and he was explaining to me that his tuition has basically doubled since he started his "undergrad". He is currently a 4th year at Albany, one of the top schools in terms of graduate debt...at least we're not going to med school for 7 years =)
Did anyone else get a feel for what the typical tuition hike is these days when you were interviewing at other schools? Just curious.

apudoc said:
Medicalbound and Taco, I'd be interested in why both of you decided against buying a place in the Denver area. My wife and I are currently looking into our options in different parts of the city but aren't sure what the result of our research will be. What tipped the scales against buying?

I'll be candid with you apudoc, for us it is strictly a financial decision. The living allowance provided through financial aid does not even approach covering the expenses of a family of 5. My wife will continue to be a stay-at-home mom to our three children and I am currently the sole bread winner. We've owned our house in Palmer Lake (about 60 miles S south of Denver) for ca. 10 years now and have built up a substantial amount of equity. The gains we will make on the sale of our home will pay rent through school and help keep us solvent through this endeavor. The high property costs in Denver limit the ability to "buy-down" without living somewhere where I wouldn't want my children to grow up. There are other extenuating circumstances, but this is the gist of it. We're still exploring options, but this has remained the best one thus far. Hope this helps.

tin can said:
Did anyone else get a feel for what the typical tuition hike is these days when you were interviewing at other schools? Just curious.

I remember hearing anywhere from 4-8% increases. The most novel idea was one Univesity of Florida was trying to implement which would lock in a 4 year tuition rate before you start your 1st year. I guess it all comes down to financial stability.

tin can said:

I called another school and asked that question yesterday, but didn't get a very clear answer. It's a good question. 10% hikes are bad. But if private school tuition goes up similarly, then CU is still a lot cheaper.

My guess for birthday is Sunday - my birthday! Although I understand that its different if you're still trying to make a decision or if you're oos, for me, I can't really get fired up to be angry about this tuition stuff. My finance is in a PhD program here in Boulder, so it was 100% CU for me (not to say that I'm unhappy about it - I really do think its a great school with great people). Since I am going, and will have to pay whatever it is they tell me I have to pay, I feel like I can't spend a lot of energy feeling angry about it. And to me, it still seems like a pretty good deal compared with some other schools I looked at that said plan on borrowing $65K for the first year, plus 5-10% each year after that. Its certainly not cheap, and it would be great if it was even a little bit less - but for me, it is what it is. And we all get to vote in November...

medicalbound said:
I'll be candid with you apudoc, for us it is strictly a financial decision. The living allowance provided through financial aid does not even approach covering the expenses of a family of 5. My wife will continue to be a stay-at-home mom to our three children and I am currently the sole bread winner. We've owned our house in Palmer Lake (about 60 miles S south of Denver) for ca. 10 years now and have built up a substantial amount of equity. The gains we will make on the sale of our home will pay rent through school and help keep us solvent through this endeavor. The high property costs in Denver limit the ability to "buy-down" without living somewhere where I wouldn't want my children to grow up. There are other extenuating circumstances, but this is the gist of it. We're still exploring options, but this has remained the best one thus far. Hope this helps.

I appreciate your candor and understand your reasoning. For now it is only me and my wife so we don't need much room. She'll also be working the last 3 years I'm in school, though only as a lowly, underpaid resident (which I guess is better than a med student paying to work), to help ease the burden. If you are going to rent, what areas of Denver are you looking at?

mdtela: April 30 (mdtela's birthday!)
apudoc: May 1
gdbaby: May 2

mdtela said:
My guess for birthday is Sunday - my birthday! Although I understand that its different if you're still trying to make a decision or if you're oos, for me, I can't really get fired up to be angry about this tuition stuff. My finance is in a PhD program here in Boulder, so it was 100% CU for me (not to say that I'm unhappy about it - I really do think its a great school with great people). Since I am going, and will have to pay whatever it is they tell me I have to pay, I feel like I can't spend a lot of energy feeling angry about it. And to me, it still seems like a pretty good deal compared with some other schools I looked at that said plan on borrowing $65K for the first year, plus 5-10% each year after that. Its certainly not cheap, and it would be great if it was even a little bit less - but for me, it is what it is. And we all get to vote in November...

I am OOS but I don't have a decision anymore so I'm also done being angry about tuiton. The quality of life for me and my wife is worth more than the current or worst case tuition increases. I just hope CU isn't upset when I go back on all that primary care stuff I was spouting in my app and interview and instead pursue ortho outside of CO. :laugh:

apudoc said:
I just hope CU isn't upset when I go back on all that primary care stuff I was spouting in my app and interview and instead pursue ortho outside of CO. :laugh:

I hear ya! Was thinking FP or EM, but the ROAD is sounding much better these days!

I've done some searching around SDN and found a few posts related to loan repayment programs administered at different hospitals (not NIH, NHSC or military). I've also heard some folks say that it some private practices and hospitals will repay a significant portion of debt -- sort of like a signing bonus. Any of you have proof of such?

gdbaby said:
alright gd, this is a totally uneducated guess (i don't even know the due date), but i'm going with May 4th...i hope Price is Right rules don't apply. tacostand, for your wife's sake, i hope i lose :)

oh ya, i told our business administrator about my "retirement plans" today. it was ok. i think they might talk me into coming back for a day or two to help with the transition, at their expense of course. it's nice to have an official quitting date--i can see the finish line!

tin can: May 4

medicalbound May 3

OK, here is the solution to everyone's financial problems: $ for participation in research studies. Those with partners and children can earn extra by having them participate too:

http://www.uchsc.edu/vivat/studies.html

Whew! So many posts today. I put my head down to get some work done and look at all I missed. Work is always getting in the way :) .

MeowMix said:
OK, here is the solution to everyone's financial problems: $ for participation in research studies. Those with partners and children can earn extra by having them participate too:

I am totally doing the effects of overeating on lean bodies. Maybe the liposuction one too. They should really package the two of those together.

Taco, aren't you going to chime in on your wife's due date. You are batting 1.000. Now if there is a scheduled delivery, you are out of the running, but c'mon!

tin can said:
tacostand, for your wife's sake, i hope i lose :)

oh ya, i told our business administrator about my "retirement plans" today. it was ok. i think they might talk me into coming back for a day or two to help with the transition, at their expense of course. it's nice to have an official quitting date--i can see the finish line!

Thanks! My wife and I also hope you lose :) .

Congratulations on your retirement announcement!!! I'm still waiting until the end on May to announce. I know it is coming fast, but it feels like things are creapin' along....

apudoc said:

My situation is probably unique, but I will share it anyway in case it can help anyone. Simply stated - I do not have enough $ for a dwnpmt to get the mortgage to a reasonable level for a house that is in a "safe" area.

Therefore, my plan was this. Since I am going to spend $R in rent for 4 years, I analyzed the scenario for my parents and/or brother, who do real estate investment, to gain some return on their investment with me "giving" them $R. I would buy the house and then spend $R in the downpayment, repairs, and/or portion of the monthly payment. My parents and/or brother, would then "invest" the difference between the actual costs and $R. When the house is sold in 4 years, they would get all of the profit. This was a way for $R to give someone in my family a decent return, and it would give my wife and I the ability to live in a house we owned.

End result of the analysis was that the ROI was not good enough based on other investment options availble for my family. Neither my wife or I mind renting, and the positive side is that we will not have to worry about repairs such as leaking dishwasher supply lines :D, and I hope we can rent a house <1 mi from the school.

gdbaby said:
Taco, aren't you going to chime in on your wife's due date. You are batting 1.000. Now if there is a scheduled delivery, you are out of the running, but c'mon!

Alrighty - the date is still open, but it will not be later May 4th. I'll go for Sat. April 29th.

TacoStand: April 29
medicalbound May 3

TacoStand said:
Neither my wife or I mind renting, and the positive side is that we will not have to worry about repairs such as leaking dishwasher supply lines :D, and I hope we can rent a house <1 mi from the school.

That shouldn't be a problem at all. Let me know if I can help.

TacoStand said:
My situation is probably unique, but I will share it anyway in case it can help anyone. Simply stated - I do not have enough $ for a dwnpmt to get the mortgage to a reasonable level for a house that is in a "safe" area.

I appreciate the responses and feedback. From what I understand, renting in the area around campus should not be a problem. We're still looking to buy but we're not sure what area yet. Hopefully we'll be making the trip out in the next few weeks to learn a little more about our options.

Maybe I missed this in the forum but where are you coming from Taco?

The word from a very recent meeting with the Dean is that they will probably keep it to single digits for next year. Anything less than 3% is still very unlikely.

MeowMix said:
The word from a very recent meeting with the Dean is that they will probably keep it to single digits for next year. Anything less than 3% is still very unlikely.

That is good news Meow. Thanks again for keeping us informed. By the way, how are you "in the know"? Are you on one of the senate committees?

MeowMix said:

I need to start having kids so I can get them into these studies at an early age. Does UCHSC have a vet school doing canine research?

apudoc said:
Maybe I missed this in the forum but where are you coming from Taco?

I'm coming from Colorado Springs. I will send you some info within a 1-2 days. Hope it helps you.

apudoc said:
I need to start having kids so I can get them into these studies at an early age. Does UCHSC have a vet school doing canine research?

There are dog labs on the upper floors of the med school, but I wouldn't send my dog there unless I was ready for a new dog.

medicalbound said:
That is good news Meow. Thanks again for keeping us informed. By the way, how are you "in the know"? Are you on one of the senate committees?

I am not on any useful committees. I just talk to people, that's all.

MeowMix said:
I am not on any useful committees. I just talk to people, that's all.
Don't be fooled by MeowMix's humility: she is omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent. She is Santa Claus! You wait and see: come December you won't see Meow and Santa in the same room at the same time.