University of Colorado Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gdbaby

Prettier than before
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought I would start a thread for all of us going to Colorado! Whose going to the April pre-orientation day?

Members don't see this ad.

gdbaby said:
Thought I would start a thread for all of us going to Colorado! Whose going to the April pre-orientation day?

It was just a matter of time before this thread was started - and I'm glad it was you gd :) I've been itching to start it, but wanted to let the dust settle after D-day. I'll be there for pre-orientation day.

Now that everyone's been notified... post people post! I know there are more than just the half-dozen or so SDNers that know our fates, so let yourself be known to your future (or prospective) classmates.

So where in Colorado r u at MB?

Members don't see this ad :)
gdbaby said:
So where in Colorado r u at MB?

I live in Palmer Lake, work in Colorado Springs, and did all of my post-bac classes at CU Denver. We're putting our house on the market next weekend and will be moving up that way as soon as our house sells.

medicalbound said:
I live in Palmer Lake, work in Colorado Springs, and did all of my post-bac classes at CU Denver. We're putting our house on the market next weekend and will be moving up that way as soon as our house sells.
Let me know if you need any neighborhood information. I live in Park Hill, just north of the med school (about 8 blocks) in a 2 bedroom bungalow.

What does your wife do?

I did the Palmer Lake triathlon a couple of years ago, durning the drought. There was about 3 feet of water in the lake!

I teach at UCD.

For those of you going to CU med in the fall please read this e-mail and go to the meeting! Its your future!and you debt! Good luck and enjoy. Hopefully someone sent you this stuff.

"Hey All,
Below is an outline of action that is going on this week with the state legislature and our school's funding. As many of you likely heard, the legislature currently has written out of the budget bill the 23 million dollars that the President of CU asked for to support UCHSC, and if you divide that number evenly by the 2,000 or so students we have at UCHSC, that gives you an $11,500 tuition increase to recoup those costs. Given that our program is one of the most expensive, the number needed from our students would likely be higher than that...but it's a starting point. We, and especially those poor little innocent Class of 2010'ers, who don't know what's coming at them right now, REALLY need everyone's help here.
The students will be meeting Monday afternoon at 4PM in the 2nd Floor Lecture Hall with Deans Krugman, Kaye and Garrity, as well as the SOM lobbyist Kirsten Castleman to discuss this situation and what we can do, so please come.
Then, Thursday, we will have the CMS Lobby Day at the capitol, where we will need huge numbers of white-coated medical students to remind those legislators who it is that they're talking about hurting right now. There will be a strategy session with the CMS lobbyists on Tuesday night at 6 in Shiver's, with FOOD PROVIDED (Yum, food plus strategery...) You don't need to talk to anybody at the capitol on Thursday if you don't want(though it would really help), we just need to make a strong statement to reming them that we actually EXIST, and it is real people who are getting hurt here at our campus if they go forward with their plans to slash our funding once again.
If (at least) 10 grand out of your pocket doesn't get you out there, do it for those people who really want to practice in rural areas, where huge med school debt will make it impossible for them to live that action, please.
See more info on this below, and please RSVP for lobby day and the orientation/stategy session to [email protected] as soon as possible so we can get everyone organized.
Thanks,
Steve"

I am unable to attend, but would like to hear details of what transpires.

medicalbound said:
I am unable to attend, but would like to hear details of what transpires.

hear, hear! i'd love to be there, but can't quite justify the expense of flying in from vermont for one day...

I can't go today or Tuesday night (I teach at those times) but I can definitely get there on Thursday.

Hockeyguy, if you get this message, could you please post here the details of the meetings so I can be prepared for Thursday's lobby day? Thanks!

- he was "pretty disturbed" to find out last week that UCHSC will receive $0 from Referendum C (the President and Chancellor asked for $23 million to replace funds lost over the past 4 years; we will not receive any of that)
- the school is in "a very difficult position"
- "we will keep the tuition increase next year as low as we possibly can", but he cannot promise anything
- CCHE has been proposing 2.5% as a tuition increase; this is "not sustainable for us as a school" unless we get more state funding
- "I don't think a tuition increase greater than 10% is even in the cards...I suspect that the tuition [increase] next year...will be between 2.5% and 10%"

Translation for the Class of 2010: expect in-state tuition and fees to be somewhere in the range of $22,500 to $25,000 next year. This does not include books, supplies, and health insurance, which add about another $4000; there will probably be a new mandatory computer/IT fee on top of this. It also does not include living expenses. (The Cost of Attendance tables are online at http://www.uchsc.edu/finaid/cost.php)

As far as financial aid goes, our cost of attendance next year will exceed the Stafford loan limit of $37,400. This means that you will need to get private loans to cover the excess, or live more cheaply. Grants and scholarships at UCHSC are few and limited (most are a few thousand dollars max); you will probably not get the details of your award until mid-June at the earliest.

More details will probably be available at pre-orientation.

MeowMix said:
- he was "pretty disturbed" to find out last week that UCHSC will receive $0 from Referendum C (the President and Chancellor asked for $23 million to replace funds lost over the past 4 years; we will not receive any of that)
- the school is in "a very difficult position"
- "we will keep the tuition increase next year as low as we possibly can", but he cannot promise anything
- CCHE has been proposing 2.5% as a tuition increase; this is "not sustainable for us as a school" unless we get more state funding
- "I don't think a tuition increase greater than 10% is even in the cards...I suspect that the tuition [increase] next year...will be between 2.5% and 10%"

Translation for the Class of 2010: expect in-state tuition and fees to be somewhere in the range of $22,500 to $25,000 next year. This does not include books, supplies, and health insurance, which add about another $4000; there will probably be a new mandatory computer/IT fee on top of this. It also does not include living expenses. (The Cost of Attendance tables are online at http://www.uchsc.edu/finaid/cost.php)

As far as financial aid goes, our cost of attendance next year will exceed the Stafford loan limit of $37,400. This means that you will need to get private loans to cover the excess, or live more cheaply. Grants and scholarships at UCHSC are few and limited (most are a few thousand dollars max); you will probably not get the details of your award until mid-June at the earliest.

More details will probably be available at pre-orientation.
Every year it just keeps going up and up while services keep going down down down. Plus the "don't worry it will only go ten percent" garbage - I wouldn't trust that . At the begining of this " state funding crisis" crap they told us the same thing. By the way the UCHSC funding crisis was created by themselves. They are building a whole new med facility and expecting tax-payers to build it. Then they get pissed when people say NO what you had was fine - find your own funding. In ten years it might pay for itself but the "crisis" is something todays med students will have to deal with. It appears in the form of higher tution. All I know is my first year tution and extras was about 10K. Two years later we were north of 18K. I feel sorry for you guys hope no-one was going into general peds or family practice that is taking loans. Have fun paying 220k back!

Well, I was going to do IM, but looks like Plastic Surgery for me! This does sound troubling, but in my situation (married, husband has good job here, have a son), the risks of moving to another state (where the job market is uncertain), selling our house (in a bad market--unless any M1's want to buy a $275k house from me!) and uprooting our kid were too heavy in comparison to the known risks here.

I appreciate all this infomation and I understand your anger, Hockeyguy. Sounds like UCHSC did poor planning with Fitz, but then all of us who voted for "C" in an effort to save all of public higher ed got bamboozeled by the legislature. That is what really angers me right now. I want my vote back!

While I am upset that no one mentioned this on interview day, I feel that knowing what to expect (thanks to you and MeowMix) will hopefully allow me to go in with open eyes and enjoy my experience in med school at CU. The new program seems very good and everyone I have met has been incredibly helpful and warm.

So...are people still going to CU with me or do I get the anatomy lab all to myself. These last few posts leave me feeling down and uneasy about my decision although I still feel like it is the right one. Anyone????

Members don't see this ad :)
gdbaby said:
So...are people still going to CU with me or do I get the anatomy lab all to myself. These last few posts leave me feeling down and uneasy about my decision although I still feel like it is the right one. Anyone????

I don't know. This is depressing.

I think I'm still going to CU. But I'm more and more uncertain. I wish we could lock into a tuition like a mortgage rate. I'm also looking at some private schools on the east coast. The thought of saving $60k over 4 years by going to CU was a huge draw for me. If that gets cut in half, I'm less interested. The worst part about it is the uncertainty. If they could tell us for certain what the hikes would be, I could stomach the pain. But I can see how lack of communication and constant hikes would piss people off. Yikes.

It just seems like the next few years are going to be a tough time at CU. Once the Fitzsimmons Campus is up and running for a few years, I think things will be great. But there's bound to be growing pains and some resentment over it now.

gdbaby said:

Yes, there are financial issues and as pertinent as that may be, we are still attending a great school where we will earn a great education so we can become great doctors. Right? Right! We are not going into this field for money, so why let money (or lackthereof) determine how you feel about our education? I don't state this lightly - I have 4 dependents that will have to survive through med-school (my wife is a stay-at-home mom to our 3 small kiddos). We'll max out the loans, eat a lot of Ramen, and take several years to pay them off after all is said and done. I (like you and most others) have worked my tail off for over 3 years to get to this point and I am going to continue to look forward to attending this Fall. I will grit my teeth when I have to pay the tuition, and will go on with life. We'll do what we need to to lobby for adequate funding and go from there. Let not your heart be troubled gd. :)

Just what I needed MB. You read my mind. There is a psychic who works up the street from my house. Perhaps you could do some moonlighting to pay down those bills earlier.

How old are the kiddos? I am only going to med school so I can find some other people with kids that are my son's age! He'll be 2 on April 25.

gdbaby said:
Just what I needed MB. You read my mind. There is a psychic who works up the street from my house. Perhaps you could do some moonlighting to pay down those bills earlier.

How old are the kiddos? I am only going to med school so I can find some other people with kids that are my son's age!

My girls are 3 and 5 and my man-cub is 18 months. How old is your boy? [you just answered this in an edit]. We'll have to get together with our spouses and kiddos sometime.

medicalbound said:
My girls are 3 and 5 and my man-cub is 18 months. How old is your boy? [you just answered this in an edit]. We'll have to get together with our spouses and kiddos sometime.
Mos' def.

gd, even with an increase in tuition, you'd still be better off staying put in a fabulously conveniently located house, no moving expenses, no packing hassles, no changes for your son, no hassles finding another home to move to, etc. etc. etc.

Every school will have downsides. CU happens to be in a major period of change - long overdue. Growing pains and groaning pains often go together. :)

ShyRem said:
gd, even with an increase in tuition, you'd still be better off staying put in a fabulously conveniently located house, no moving expenses, no packing hassles, no changes for your son, no hassles finding another home to move to, etc. etc. etc.

Every school will have downsides. CU happens to be in a major period of change - long overdue. Growing pains and groaning pains often go together. :)
Thanks, Shy. Maybe I am just tired because my kid was up for HOURS last night. Seems like every night it is something different with him.

:laugh: :laugh:

I can laugh at that, gd. BEEN THERE!! TWICE!!!!! :laugh:

My son is now in the phase where he'll happily get in the bathtub. And stay there - until the water is stone cold. But he never gets clean - he just wants to play.

Just wait until you teach your son to pee standing up. Teaching my son to 'shake' afterwards was hysterical. His first few attempts were more like humping the toilet than shaking. :laugh: And even better - wait till you "help" hold his penis down while he pees sitting down and he gets a little baby erection. There's something just seriously WRONG about that. :laugh: And when he finds your makeup. And when he plays naked at the local park. And when he walks into a neighbor's house to see if their kid can play - and the kid's mommy is asleep upstairs - and she sleeps in the nude. And when they discover that if they get up in the middle of the night they can actually make it to the fridge and raid it at like 2am. Oooooohhhhh - yeah. Just wait, gd. Just wait. You have a LOT to look forward to!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Shy, none of this was in any of the books I got at my baby showers. Of course, I threw them all away after about 3 weeks into this parenthood thing.

gdbaby said:

I'm here and will definitely be with you in anatomy lab. I'm hoping to make it on April 21st, but my wife's due date is April 26th, so I'm thinking .... hmmmm... want baby to come, but also want to go to pre-orientation. Oh well, its not in my hands....

medicalbound said:
Yes, there are financial issues and as pertinent as that may be, we are still attending a great school where we will earn a great education so we can become great doctors. Right? Right! We are not going into this field for money, so why let money (or lackthereof) determine how you feel about our education? I don't state this lightly - I have 4 dependents that will have to survive through med-school (my wife is a stay-at-home mom to our 3 small kiddos). We'll max out the loans, eat a lot of Ramen, and take several years to pay them off after all is said and done. I (like you and most others) have worked my tail off for over 3 years to get to this point and I am going to continue to look forward to attending this Fall. I will grit my teeth when I have to pay the tuition, and will go on with life. We'll do what we need to to lobby for adequate funding and go from there. Let not your heart be troubled gd. :)

Well said, medicalbound! We all hope for adequate funding and for our tuitions to not increase much over the next 4 years. So long as we can get the loans from somewhere :eek: - loans, debt, in the end, who cares? We are going to be doctors! We no longer have to wonder, will I make it into medical school, will I really get the opportunity to be a doctor???? We will all work our butt's off for the next 4+ years, but we are going to be doing what our hearts long to do.

Plus, we are not going into debt $150k-$250k+ to be elementary school teachers (not that there is any problem with teachers - many of them are amazing). Paying off loans is just one of the privledges of the acceptance letter. I'll embrace it and enjoy it.

Although I'm not attending CU med this year (rejected... AGAIN!!! 3 years running), I work at the university, and have seen the progress of the school for the past few years, along with hearing the experiences from students in the program.

Now, I don't know how other programs are like, but CU seemed to be a bit off the ball for a few years there. First, there was the whole curriculum change, which had to be literally forced down the throat of the school. Then, the move of the campus, which had many faculty questioning where the money would be coming from... this was four years ago. They have promised the new facilities to be finished... two years ago. To top all that, some of the programs at the school have also come under scrutiny. Some good research labs have also started to move out to other university due to the lack of support from the school.

On the bright side, the program change has been good. When Fitz is done, no matter how long that might take, it will be a great place to study and work. Plus, there is no way to make Colorado Blvd campus to be upgraded without expanding or gutting some of the facilities. The school has promised to improve the condition for researchers.

As for the tuition increase... what can you do. Tuition is being raised everywhere. CU had their tuition too constant for too long in the early 90's, when they should have made incremental increases.

PS... Congrats, you lucky bastards. :D :thumbup:

TacoStand said:
I'm here and will definitely be with you in anatomy lab. I'm hoping to make it on April 21st, but my wife's due date is April 26th, so I'm thinking .... hmmmm... want baby to come, but also want to go to pre-orientation. Oh well, its not in my hands....
AAaaahhhh congratulations! Hopefully she won't be 10 days late like I was. You really won't want to see the kind of person she becomes.

Junkster said:
Although I'm not attending CU med this year (rejected... AGAIN!!! 3 years running), I work at the university, and have seen the progress of the school for the past few years, along with hearing the experiences from students in the program.

Now, I don't know how other programs are like, but CU seemed to be a bit off the ball for a few years there. First, there was the whole curriculum change, which had to be literally forced down the throat of the school. Then, the move of the campus, which had many faculty questioning where the money would be coming from... this was four years ago. They have promised the new facilities to be finished... two years ago. To top all that, some of the programs at the school have also come under scrutiny. Some good research labs have also started to move out to other university due to the lack of support from the school.

On the bright side, the program change has been good. When Fitz is done, no matter how long that might take, it will be a great place to study and work. Plus, there is no way to make Colorado Blvd campus to be upgraded without expanding or gutting some of the facilities. The school has promised to improve the condition for researchers.

As for the tuition increase... what can you do. Tuition is being raised everywhere. CU had their tuition too constant for too long in the early 90's, when they should have made incremental increases.

PS... Congrats, you lucky bastards. :D :thumbup:
Thanks, Junkster. That's a much kinder tone in which to put all of this. I also think tuition increases are par for the course for state schools. So sorry about not getting in.

gdbaby said:
AAaaahhhh congratulations! Hopefully she won't be 10 days late like I was. You really won't want to see the kind of person she becomes.

Hope to see you there TacoStand. My wife was one week late with our first two. I remember sitting in class 60 miles away from home when she was due / overdue. Talk about anxiety. :scared:

forgive me for "wasting" posting space. this is my first attempt at posting something on this thread...or any thread for that matter and i just wanted to see if it worked. i'm getting geared up for colorado just like the rest of you and the excitement is killing me. although, my stomach turned a bit when i read through the tuition debate...i'm going to try to purge it from my mind for right now :)
well it's 5:04 and i'm trying to make a point of not staying late at work these days. if i can achieve a state of quasi-relaxation/boredom no later than the day before orientation, then i'll be thrilled and ready the upcoming academic bootcamp.

tin can said:
forgive me for "wasting" posting space. this is my first attempt at posting something on this thread...or any thread for that matter and i just wanted to see if it worked. i'm getting geared up for colorado just like the rest of you and the excitement is killing me. although, my stomach turned a bit when i read through the tuition debate...i'm going to try to purge it from my mind for right now :)
well it's 5:04 and i'm trying to make a point of not staying late at work these days. if i can achieve a state of quasi-relaxation/boredom no later than the day before orientation, then i'll be thrilled and ready the upcoming academic bootcamp.

Congratulations on your acceptance and welcome to SDN! Based on your time reference and the time of your posting, you must be in the Central timezone. Where are you coming from?

Congrats Tin Can!

So...I know the US News rankings don't mean ****, but I can't help but get a little smile when I see the Colorado is now #6 in primary care (up from #11).

Hi guys--I am a 4th year med student at CU, and have been reading this thread today. I was really glad to see Hockeyguy clue you in on what has been going on here tuition-wise. It's really important that you are aware of these things--students can make a difference if enough of them speak up. During our 1st or 2nd year (can't remember which), the Dean asked the legislature to increase our tuition by 40% from one year to the next--which of course had all of the students up in arms. In the end, we as students spoke out, LOUDLY, and tuition was only increased by 14%. I tell you this to remind you to be vocal to the administration, the legislature, and everyone else, on matters that affect you greatly. You guys are going to have a more difficult road financially than my class did--when we came in tuition was still low, and we are able to consolidate our loans and fix at a very low interest rate. Neither of these things are the case for you. Many of you will have to take out private loans just to make ends meet. So--make sure your voices are heard!

That being said--you still should be very excited! Getting accepted is a huge accomplishment. As Hockeyguy said, you will get a great education, meet some great people, and have some great clinical experiences (The foundations of doctoring class is particularly good with excellent leadership). You will work hard. You will come out well prepared for residency. Med School is what you make of it (especially the clinical years, in my opinion), and I'm sure you will all do great. And you will find a way to pay the money back. Good Luck!

Thanks PLK. It has been really helpful to have you all pop on this thread. At least we can go into this with open eyes. 40% tuition increase! Sometimes you wonder if any of these guys remember being a student....

medicalbound said:
Congratulations on your acceptance and welcome to SDN! Based on your time reference and the time of your posting, you must be in the Central timezone. Where are you coming from?

thanks and right back at ya, gdbaby and medbound!

i'm originally from pueblo, CO (home of heroes, you know), did my undergrad in philly, and am currently finishing up a stint of research in chicago. it took me about 6 years, but i think i'm finally homesick. i absolutely can't wait to return to colorado; i feel incredibly lucky to have been accepted.

i have my tickets booked for the pre-orientation day and will probably be able to get answers to some of my questions there, but does anyone know what the official deal is with computer/pda/etc recommendations or requirements or mandates or whatever?! my personal computer practically has smoke billowing out of it every time i try to multi-task, so i'd love to get a new one sooner rather than later. not to mention, i'd like to take advantage of my current institutions software deals while i can. any inside info, news, or rumors would be appreciated :) [apologies if this topic is covered in earlier posts]

i know, i know, rankings shmankings, but #6 in primary care?! rock on!

welp, in a haste reaction to PLK, i'm going to go google "get rich quick". envelope stuffing anyone?

tin can said:
thanks and right back at ya, gdbaby and medbound!

i'm originally from pueblo, CO (home of heroes, you know), did my undergrad in philly, and am currently finishing up a stint of research in chicago. it took me about 6 years, but i think i'm finally homesick. i absolutely can't wait to return to colorado; i feel incredibly lucky to have been accepted.

i have my tickets booked for the pre-orientation day and will probably be able to get answers to some of my questions there, but does anyone know what the official deal is with computer/pda/etc recommendations or requirements or mandates or whatever?! my personal computer practically has smoke billowing out of it every time i try to multi-task, so i'd love to get a new one sooner rather than later. not to mention, i'd like to take advantage of my current institutions software deals while i can. any inside info, news, or rumors would be appreciated :) [apologies if this topic is covered in earlier posts]

i know, i know, rankings shmankings, but #6 in primary care?! rock on!

welp, in a haste reaction to PLK, i'm going to go google "get rich quick". envelope stuffing anyone?

I'm guessing you recieved a similar notice, but here's what I received from Dr. Sondheimer near the end of December:

To the Class of 2010: I have just been informed that we have instituted a school-wide laptop and PDA requirement for the August 2006 entering class. The Curriculum Oversight Committee has passed this effective for the incoming class. The laptops and PDA’s will be bought for the entire class and then either sold or leased to you with technical support provided for the duration of your time at the University of Colorado School of Medicine. Purchasing a standardized laptop and PDA is required, not optional...

I haven't heard anything else, but I'm guessing they will address the topic during pre-orientation. I hope the laptops are PCs - I don't speak Macanese too well. :)

Given the current state of financial affairs I assume they will be PCs--they're cheaper. My acceptance packet stated that we will be issued a PC and a PDA at orientation (just put it on my tab!) that will be configured and serviced by their IT peeps. Cool. My tablet PC is also almost gone.

Tin, I am a Chicago native--lived in the South Loop before I moved out to Colorado. Eat a hot dog for me--even if you are a vegetarian! They just aren't the same here.

Did I overhear that we do orientation up in the mountains? Sweeeet.

Just waiting to get paid tomorrow so I can send in my check. I guess I could just drop it off since I will be walking to school everyday anyway!!! Oooo I am getting excited and a little nervous that I will be found out as the ***** I really am!!

Hello to all my future classmates in the class of 2010!

I was accepted last year, but deferred so I've been in the loop on a few of the issues discussed in this thread.

I got an email from Dr. Sondheimer in December of 2005, about the laptops. Here's what it said:

"To the Class of 2010: I have just been informed that we have instituted a school-wide laptop and PDA requirement for the August 2006 entering class. The Curriculum Oversight Committee has passed this effective for the incoming class. The laptops and PDA’s will be bought for the entire class and then either sold or leased to you with technical support provided for the duration of your time at the University of Colorado School of Medicine. Purchasing a standardized laptop and PDA is required, not optional, so I wanted to email you now. Please discourage your parents from buying you a laptop this month, or in a worse case scenario do not open the lovely gift!"

On another note, do any of you know the tentative schedule for the orientaiton week starting Aug. 7?

Thanks!

moranwoods said:
Hello to all my future classmates in the class of 2010!

On another note, do any of you know the tentative schedule for the orientaiton week starting Aug. 7?

Thanks!
Hey, welcome aboard. For a while I thought it would just be me and MedicalBound traversing around 8th and Colorado in August. I fear he would tire of me quickly, so I am glad to see others following the fold.

I don't know anything about the orientation. If we find something out at pre-orientation I'll let you know.

I do recall on interview day receiving a student-written newsletter that outlined a bunch of stuff. I am going to check in there tonight and see if there is anything helpful.

gdbaby said:
Hey, welcome aboard. For a while I thought it would just be me and MedicalBound traversing around 8th and Colorado in August. I fear he would tire of me quickly, so I am glad to see others following the fold.

I don't know anything about the orientation. If we find something out at pre-orientation I'll let you know.

I do recall on interview day receiving a student-written newsletter that outlined a bunch of stuff. I am going to check in there tonight and see if there is anything helpful.

There's a bunch of helpful tidbits in that pre-orientation packet you are referring to, but nothing real specific regarding orientation - at least that I can remember.

I think there is an overnight in Steamboat Springs during orientation week. There are also other events such as a picnic for our spouses and kids to say goodbye to us as we "depart" for 4 years.

gd, your usefulness to me has yet to wane, but give it time. :laugh:

Hey everyone, I was accepted as well and will be attending CU this fall. I won't be able to attend the pre-orientation, however, due to the fact that I am finishing up my senior year of undergrad in Michigan and won't be able to make the trip.

gdbaby said:
Tin, I am a Chicago native--lived in the South Loop before I moved out to Colorado. Eat a hot dog for me--even if you are a vegetarian! They just aren't the same here.

Oooo I am getting excited and a little nervous that I will be found out as the ***** I really am!!

Actually, I just ate a portillos hotdog last night after the ballet, naturally :) I felt a bit like a traitor, though, b/c my good friend (co-coaches a youth soccer team with me) own's Murphy's (a fabulous hotdog place) up on Belmont and Racine. I'll dedicate the next one to ya!

tin can said:
Actually, I just ate a portillos hotdog last night after the ballet, naturally :) I felt a bit like a traitor, though, b/c my good friend (co-coaches a youth soccer team with me) own's Murphy's (a fabulous hotdog place) up on Belmont and Racine. I'll dedicate the next one to ya!

Portillo's!!!!

I love their hotdogs! I go there once a day when I am back home visiting family! I used to live up near Murphy's (Belmont and Sheffield) so I have eaten there a few times as well. I am so jealous.

However, Denver does have Tom's Home Cookin' and I am going there tomorrow! The best food in Denver, as far as I am concerned.

I do love Steamboat so I am looking forward to that! I have a feeling this summer is going to fly by.

Steamboat is sweet, I was born there and lived there until I was 13. Any idea of whether they have activities planned the entire time we are there, or do we just make our own plans as we go?

gdbaby said:
Portillo's!!!!

I love their hotdogs! I go there once a day when I am back home visiting family! I used to live up near Murphy's (Belmont and Sheffield) so I have eaten there a few times as well. I am so jealous.

However, Denver does have Tom's Home Cookin' and I am going there tomorrow! The best food in Denver, as far as I am concerned.

I do love Steamboat so I am looking forward to that! I have a feeling this summer is going to fly by.

Time used to fly for me, but I swear I am experiencing time dilation at work - as my quit date draws nearer, I have to document technical administrative tasks for software that I've built over the last decade for my company. I'm spending a lot of time staring at my screen as the words blur together. I'd much rather be dissecting a cadaver than dissecting old code. :sleep:

Coloradohockey said:
Steamboat is sweet, I was born there and lived there until I was 13. Any idea of whether they have activities planned the entire time we are there, or do we just make our own plans as we go?

Welcome back to Colorado! They haven't given any details yet about what we'll be doing during our retreat to your old stomping grounds. Any current students want to give us a preview?

Coloradohockey said:
I am hoping something involves the Strawberry Fields hotsprings. What better way to get to know each other? :laugh:

MB, i fell asleep during your description of your workday. Could you repeat it please?

gdbaby said:
MB, i fell asleep during your description of your workday. Could you repeat it please?

MB, pleeeease don't repeat your workday description. I'm living out a pretty similar workday right now.

Coloradohockey said:

i hope they set us free to go outside and do some fun stuff. the woman who gave my tour complained that they had them indoors in a conference room for most of the time. either way, it will be fun to go up to the mtns.

bkflaneur said:
i hope they set us free to go outside and do some fun stuff. the woman who gave my tour complained that they had them indoors in a conference room for most of the time. either way, it will be fun to go up to the mtns.
God I hope not. We can sit in a conference room anywhere. Well, no point in getting upset about it right now. I need to spend some time self-loathing over eating a half a box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch this morning. I say to myself "you're a triathlete in training, you can eat whatever you want," but really there is no excuse for this behavior.

Good morning future classmates. 67 and sunny today--certainly a factor on choosing CU over Iowa! I am walking over to the admissions dept to drop off my check this afternoon (had to wait til payday).

Does anyone know if we can start writing those one-page thingies for scholarships now or do we have to wait until we get more info?