University of Colorado Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sweeeeet. so far it is me (gd), ABB, mdtela and Tin can. I will check with Pints but I am sure they will be open. I will drop my son off at day care at 8:30 and be at the bar by 9. someone bring a camcorder so I can send my life in to Jerry Springer.

Members don't see this ad.

gdbaby said:
Sweeeeet. so far it is me (gd), ABB, mdtela and Tin can. I will check with Pints but I am sure they will be open. I will drop my son off at day care at 8:30 and be at the bar by 9. someone bring a camcorder so I can send my life in to Jerry Springer.

I'd love to join for some World Cup viewing. Did anyone see the Italy v. Ghana game? That was a fun match. I think the US is going to have a tough time against both Italy and Ghana.

The immunization stuff is a real chore. I just got a copy of a similar form my doctor completed two years ago for more school stuff, and I think he fudged it - he just wrote Immune next to everything with no dates for the vaccines.

gdbaby said:

Great! I've never been to Pints and have been wanting to check it out for a long time.

So yesterday Mr. tela and I were watching the Brazil game on Univision. My Spanish is alright, but sometimes I find it difficult to understand the annoucers in English, let alone Spanish. Anyway, I'm translating for Brandon and we're both can't believe how much they can say ****. Sure, not all of the phrases make perfect sense, but I just figure they are idioms I'm not familiar with. Its caca this, caca that, etc. Until a Brazilian player, "Kaka," scores and well, I feel pretty dumb.

Members don't see this ad :)
gdbaby said:
Adding bkflaneur to the list. Sweet.

Watching that Brazil game made me passionate about soccer. I always liked watching soccer (I can basically watch ANY sport--I even watched some dominoes after the 1 pm game), but they played so beautifully it was amazing.

Hey tela, how's your bunny?

So, one of the Kaiser nurses screwed up the timing for my TB test so Willa at CU said I have to get the whole thing done over!! also, my parents cannot find my immunization records from childhood (what? you didn't save a slip of paper for 34 years!!??!!) so I am getting polio and MMR all over again. Ugh!

Thank you Ghana.

Did I metion that Brian McBride is my boyfriend? He went to my high school and graduated two years behind me.

gdbaby said:
Thank you Ghana.

I know! What an exciting day. I love the World Cup - and I'm a sucker for all the drama... It will be fun to watch with you guys.

The bunny, Cleo, is great. She doesn't love the heat (she hides under the bed where its cool), so she's been happier the last couple of days. She is just so funny. We had a little harness for her and a leash and take her on "hops" by the creek. Its pretty hilarious.

I feel like I'm sort of nesting these days - trying to tie up all loose ends in my life before August. Get furniture, redecorate, plan wedding, write letters to people, etc. I spend a lot of time trying to talk myself out of the feeling that August is the end of my life in a sense. I know its not and that there will be time for life, but part of me remains unconvinced. Anyone else??

I think Brazil-Australia could be a great game tomorrow. Did I mention that I love the World Cup??

Been awhile since I last posted and I can't believe we're down to less than 2 months. A little freaked out ...

Have any of you chosen your lenders for next year? I talked to a financial aid counselor at UCHSC about the lenders offered through the school, but I'm having a hard time finding the specifics on their loans. The
counselor desribed their "school is lender" program, but I want to read the fine print and I can't find it.

I'm out of state, so this is a HUGE decision with hundreds of thousands of dollars at stake. Needless to say, I'm very unimpressed and frustrated with the process. I'd like to believe that the lenders through CU are fine, but I'd like to shop around.

I guess I'm just looking to rant, but any help/advice is much appreciated.

i don't want to distract from MW's more important topic (ie financing this whole med school thing), but i was wondering if anyone knows how or when we are supposed to order our laptops and pda's. the last memo w/ the specs said that they were going to set up an account through dell/gateway/etc for us to order from. they said that it would take a week, but it's been while since then. am i missing anything? does anyone have any insider info?

my laptop is ready to kick the bucket any day now, so i can't help being anxious to get all of my tech stuff taken care of. :)

moranwoods said:
Needless to say, I'm very unimpressed and frustrated with the process.

Hang in there, this is just the beginning. Compared to a mortgage or any other major loan, student loans are a vast maze of darkness and confusion. You would think they would make it easier since we are borrowing such huge sums of money, but they don't. This is a source of endless frustration. The rules are bizarre and arcane, the information sketchy, and it takes a lot of work on your part to figure it all out.

Financial Aid at UCHSC may or may not be helpful. Financial Aid anywhere else, or even the lender themselves, may be even less useful because med school loans are so unusually huge compared to everyone else's. We have higher limits, different issues around repayment, etc.. You will get incorrect info at some places that are not used to dealing with med students.

Unfortunately, we do not have a web-based or written student guide to private lenders. This issue is a much bigger deal this year because virtually everyone is now into private loan territory (since we went over the Stafford loan limit), but I don't know that the administration is fully prepared. I would look around on SDN's financial aid forum, maybe post there, and just keep going with your research as best as possible. Know that it may take a long time and you may get conflicting information. But the research you do now will pay off in the long run.

moranwoods said:
Have any of you chosen your lenders for next year? I talked to a financial aid counselor at UCHSC about the lenders offered through the school, but I'm having a hard time finding the specifics on their loans. The counselor desribed their "school is lender" program, but I want to read the fine print and I can't find it.
QUOTE]

To my understanding, we do not choose a lender for the Stafford loans. When you fill out the MPN, just select UCHSC - that's it. I may be missing something, but I do not think we choose a lender for our stafford loans - only for private loans. This is different from other schools where you have to select your lender.

Any other comments....

It's wild that June is almost gone. At this point, I just hanging on and letting the vortex I created do its job :) .

You do, in fact, have complete control over who you want to choose as a lender for all loans including Stafford, PLUS and private. Most students just go with what the school's financial aid office recommends. For most student loans, this is typically fine, but we're talking about loans in excess of $200K that could approach $300K with interest capitalization. A quarter point here and a half point there adds up big time.

I'm finishing up a spreadsheet that summarizes the information for nearly all Stafford, PLUS and private lenders available. If anyone out there wants a copy, just PM me.

A quick story of frustration...

If you go to StudentLoanOnline, on the left side there are links to CllegeInColorado,
StudentLink, and College Access Network Home Page. These are what I figured were CUSOM's three preferred lenders for PLUS/Staffod loans. So I click on StudentLink and it takes you to Nelnet's website. I try to find PLUS loan info, but of course it's elusive so I get into a chat with a customer service rep. After I give him the school code he says that CUSOM isn't participating in the GRAD PLUS loan program. Well, on my award letter is gives a specific dollar amount of GRAD PLUS loans that I qualify for, so I'm super confused. What's a guy gotta do to get a straight answer around here?

Luckily my job is a joke so I can spend endless hours dealing with this. Anyone else experiencing this runaround?

Thanks for the links MW. Did the school release the official COA yet and I just spaced it? We have our award letters, but without the official COA, how do we know how much to seek from private lenders?

By the way, we found a place in Denver and are moving July 2nd. We're excited!

medicalbound said:
Thanks for the links MW. Did the school release the official COA yet and I just spaced it? We have our award letters, but without the official COA, how do we know how much to seek from private lenders?
QUOTE]
Oh, thank goodness! I've been wondering the same thing! I was kind of afraid to ask, since the final tuition and COA numbers seem like the first thing you'd know about the financial aid process. If anyone has any information, please let us know! :)
I think I'm going to either take a trip to the financial aid office or at least give them a call Monday. I'll let you all know if I hear anything interesting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here are the COA numbers I got from a guy by the name of Carl Davis in the financial aid office.

Tuition & Fees (non-resident): $47802
Living: $11700 ($1300/month)
Books & Supplies: $2250
Travel: $356
Health Insurance: $2154

moranwoods said:
Here are the COA numbers I got from a guy by the name of Carl Davis in the financial aid office.

Tuition & Fees (non-resident): $47802
Living: $11700 ($1300/month)
Books & Supplies: $2250
Travel: $356
Health Insurance: $2154

Thanks MW.

Okay, assuming that in-state tuition is about $25,000 less (per Dr. Sondheimer during the pre-orientation) and assuming that the other items are the same, that makes the COA slightly less than $40k which is still within the amount awarded via govt loans. Unless these assumptions are incorrect, in-state students will not need additional private monies. Thoughts?

medicalbound said:
Thanks MW.

Okay, assuming that in-state tuition is about $25,000 less (per Dr. Sondheimer during the pre-orientation) and assuming that the other items are the same, that makes the COA slightly less than $40k which is still within the amount awarded via govt loans. Unless these assumptions are incorrect, in-state students will not need additional private monies. Thoughts?
It does seem like we will be under the mark.

Where in denver will you be? Renting/buying?

gdbaby said:
It does seem like we will be under the mark.

Where in denver will you be? Renting/buying?

We are leasing a place on Harrison less than 5 miles from campus. We really like the house and the area. I'll send you specifics offline.

Hey guys - so i'm down to my last two days in the bay-area; trying to pack and still savor the last days...

I too am confused by the whole loan thing. Is it naive to think that since everybody goes through it that it will all work itself out? :laugh: btw, did anyone else go through that whole "entrance counseling" form on the student loan website? I thought it was hilarious that they give you a multiple choice test at the bottom of each page to make sure you've read it. I do remember something in there where you were supposed to choose from among three different lenders, but it didn't make it seem like you had any choice beyond that. Are any of you other out-of-staters considering private loans on top of the stafford/PLUS combo? Is this possibly a way to increase one's monthly living stipend since you cannot borrow above the total school-determined COA on the federal loans?

On a happier note, i too have completely succombed to the world cup. Between early mornings at the pub (populated by fellow teachers who are done with school ;-) and TIVO, i think i've only missed 2 or 3 games. Speaking of which, GO USA! GO ITALY! (in the end its all moot - Argentina looks unstoppable! That kid Messi comes off the bench? are you kidding me?!) I really wanted to go this summer but it just didn't work out (something about having to save and prepare for school), but i am already planning my sojourn to South Africa for the 2010 cup - who's with me! Would be a sweet way to celebrate graduating med school...

Congrats on finding a place, MB. If you or anyone else who's done the search has any recent insight/listings that looked good/etc. let me know - i'll be in town starting monday trying to find a place.

medicalbound said:
Thanks MW.

That sounds right to me. I can't find the figure. But I spoke with UCHSC Financial Aid several weeks ago and they said the in-state COA was roughly $40,500.

MW - thanks for the info about Stafford loans. I didn't realize we had a choice in choosing a lender or that there might be significant differences. I'm in-state, and I find the numbers very intimidating. I can only imagine what that must be like for OOS students.

I would change the subject to World Cup, but the US performance against Ghana today wasn't any more encouraging than student loans.

Random question, but has anyone done any temp work in Denver? Work ended a few weeks ago for me, and I'm in Denver for most of the summer. As much as possible, I want to enjoy my free time. But a few days of short-term temp work would be helpful. If you're familiar with any of the agencies, let me know.

good news: the student health insurance plan is changing, and it looks like students will get much more choice about providers as well as lower fees on some services (though a higher deductible). You should get more info soon.

ABB said:
Hey guys - so i'm down to my last two days in the bay-area; trying to pack and still savor the last days...

I too am confused by the whole loan thing. Is it naive to think that since everybody goes through it that it will all work itself out? :laugh: btw, did anyone else go through that whole "entrance counseling" form on the student loan website? I thought it was hilarious that they give you a multiple choice test at the bottom of each page to make sure you've read it. I do remember something in there where you were supposed to choose from among three different lenders, but it didn't make it seem like you had any choice beyond that. Are any of you other out-of-staters considering private loans on top of the stafford/PLUS combo? Is this possibly a way to increase one's monthly living stipend since you cannot borrow above the total school-determined COA on the federal loans?

On a happier note, i too have completely succombed to the world cup. Between early mornings at the pub (populated by fellow teachers who are done with school ;-) and TIVO, i think i've only missed 2 or 3 games. Speaking of which, GO USA! GO ITALY! (in the end its all moot - Argentina looks unstoppable! That kid Messi comes off the bench? are you kidding me?!) I really wanted to go this summer but it just didn't work out (something about having to save and prepare for school), but i am already planning my sojourn to South Africa for the 2010 cup - who's with me! Would be a sweet way to celebrate graduating med school...

Congrats on finding a place, MB. If you or anyone else who's done the search has any recent insight/listings that looked good/etc. let me know - i'll be in town starting monday trying to find a place.
There is a super cute looking apartment a block from my house that is for rent. I will get the number for you--unless living close to my family is seen as a thumbs down. :)

Couldn't believe the PK in yesterday's game. Granted, the US looked bad, but they really got bad calls throughout this tourney.

Just took a swim in the lake I will be in this Sunday for my triathlon. In case you didn't know: 66 degrees is cold.

I hope I did that right! i speak Italian, so I am just going on the Spanish I have learned the last two weeks watching Univision. just making sure those who expressed interest are still interested in meeting at the pub for world cup on Monday. I will call Pints to make sure they are opening early, or would you all just want to meet for the lunch game?

I can't stare at this computer screen any longer! I'm contemplating jumping out of my office window to escape. Am I the only one still stuck in office hell? AAAARRRRRRRRGGGGH!

Great guys. Way to make a guy feel insignificant. I had a horrible day at work and I just got home. I could have jumped for all you know. Granted, my office window is internal, faces the foyer and I'm on the first floor, but that's not the point. After 9 hours with software documentation, I left for a 6 hour shift at the clinic. Only then did I find solace amidst the nurses, lacs, and febrile children. Nothing quite as refreshing as getting peed on while cathing a kid. Not quite the warm feeling I was hoping for, but it'll have to do. I love medicine.

medicalbound said:
Great guys. Way to make a guy feel insignificant.

MB - I feel your pain. I stopped work two weeks ago, and the free time is great. But the flipside is that I'm completely broke for the summer.

Check out front page of the Rocky Mountain News today. Lead headline was about the funding crisis at CUSOM.

Here are links to the two articles:
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/education/article/0,1299,DRMN_957_4799014,00.html

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/education/article/0,1299,DRMN_957_4799017,00.html

I read them yesterday. At least it sounds somewhat promising that other lawmakers are recognizing the problem. However, Colorado (like Oregon and Vermont--other low funded states) has a very libertarian ideals about money and a very "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" mentality. So, I doubt the gen public will jump on board in helping.

Okay I am having a difficult time finding ANY place that is open early for the Italy Australia game tomorrow. So we have a cople of options:

(1) People can come over to my house tomorrow morning
(2) If anyone knows a place in Denver that is showing the Cup we can go there
(3) we get together at 1 pm instead at Pints and watch to watch the Switzerland game.

I will sit back and let you guys duke it out....I am happy either way.

gd

gdbaby said:
Okay I am having a difficult time finding ANY place that is open early for the Italy Australia game tomorrow. So we have a cople of options:

(1) People can come over to my house tomorrow morning
(2) If anyone knows a place in Denver that is showing the Cup we can go there
(3) we get together at 1 pm instead at Pints and watch to watch the Switzerland game.

I will sit back and let you guys duke it out....I am happy either way.

gd

gd, that's super nice of you to offer your place. I would be happy with really any of the options. However, I might have a hard time rescheduling my day for the 1 pm game.... so i'd vote for #1 or 2. Anyone know of any early bird places?? Here in Boulder the Irish pub and the biggest sports bar open up early for the Cup, but I don't really know enough about Denver to even know who to call to ask. Sorry.

Okay. Don't hold this against me. The choice of veiwing venues should NOT reflect on me as a person. It was the only place I could find that would be open Monday morning for the game.

We will be meeting at

8:30 am @ ESPNZone on the 16th Street Mall

They will also be serving breakfast for those just stumbling out of bed to join us.

Hope to see you all there!!

--gd

gdbaby said:
Okay. Don't hold this against me. The choice of veiwing venues should NOT reflect on me as a person. It was the only place I could find that would be open Monday morning for the game.

We will be meeting at

8:30 am @ ESPNZone on the 16th Street Mall

They will also be serving breakfast for those just stumbling out of bed to join us.

Hope to see you all there!!

--gd

Sorry - I'm just checking the board now. I'll try to make it to espn zone soon, never been there.

I've been spending a good amount of time doing a thorough financial analysis of how much this is going to cost and the numbers are STAGGERING for me as an out-of-stater.

Here are my assumptions:
-My wife will be working for years 2-4, so I'll need loans for tuition only those years
-Tuition stays relatively the same (which it probably won't).
-6.8% rates on Stafford loans and 8.5% on PLUS.
-Interest on unsubsidized loans accrues during school and is capitalized once at repayment

Best Case Scenario:
Student Loan Total assuming I can begin repayment during residency: $242,308
Total amount repayed w/ interest over 10 years assuming good repayment incentives (like THE): $314,877 -- $2623/month

Worst Case Scenario:
Student Loan total with 3-year residence deferment: $279,366
Total amount repayed over 10 years including interest: $363,208 -- $3026/month

Really Scary Scenario if Tuition increases 8% per year & residency deferment:
Student Loan total after residency: $303,695
Total amount repayed over 10 years including interest: $396,552 -- $3304/month

Those totals are completely freaking me out and actually making me question if this is really the right decision. I guess I could go into neurosurgery, but I might as well kiss my 30's goodbye (and quite possibly my marriage).

The accountable student fee is an absolute sucker punch to the gut. Even in a good scenario with stable tuition, if you had to borrow the maximum all four years, you could still owe over $300,000 after residency.

I really hope I miscalculated, but I am seriously considering jumping ship. Is it worth it? Are any of you freaking out right now?

moranwoods said:
Are any of you freaking out right now?

Yes, it is a lot of money. A ton. And I can't even imagine adding 100K for out of state... For me, its what I have to do. There's a cost - huge, financially speaking, but also personal, etc. But the cost is just the price I have to pay for what I have to do. I don't think I really could feel satisfied with anything else, so I'll pay the price. There's only so much I can do at this point to control that - try to save, borrow the least I can get by on, etc. Beyond that, there's not much to be done about it, so I try not to worry too much. In the end, I'll be a doctor - granted, probably an internist not making so much money, but enough to pay off the loans. Even if it means that my "doctor lifestyle" is pretty modest - its ok with me. And since I think I'll have enough other stuff to worry about once school starts, in the meantime I'm trying not to worry about the money.

Good luck, MW. Really.

moranwoods said:
I really hope I miscalculated, but I am seriously considering jumping ship. Is it worth it? Are any of you freaking out right now?

MW, the enormity of debt is staggering and daunting, but try to keep things in perspective. Without using other available options (e.g. HPSP), you will still be able to repay the debt - along with all of the other out-of-staters around the nation. Yes, your choice of specialties may be swayed due to the amount of debt, which is a horrible reality, but many, many others ahead of us have done it successfully. As mdtela said, your lifestyle (and mine) may be more modest for a while and that's just the price we have to pay to become physicians. I will be 40-ish when I'm done with residency and I have 3 children and my wife is a stay-at-home mom. I'm not just blowing smoke, I have very similar concerns about finances, but we should not let money dictate my livelihoods.

You are obviously well versed about our financial options, so I'm sure you've considered scholarships that could help mitigate the debt situation. I have opted against applying for the scholarships because I want control of what I do and where once my training is complete.

Are the financials troubling? Definitely. Insurmountable? Definitely not.

OK. OK. I've backed away from the ledge for the moment. Thanks for the encouraging words.

I sat down with the fiancee last night and we (I mean she) should be able to pay the unsubsidized interest during school. That's huge. The accountable fee really gets my blood boiling, though. The toughest part to stomach is the fact that I deferred last year and feel like I should be grandfathered into the old scheme.

As for other news, I'm down to 5 work days left in NYC. That means only 5 more days of sardine like subway trains into work. Real nice!

moranwoods said:
OK. OK. I've backed away from the ledge for the moment. Thanks for the encouraging words.

I sat down with the fiancee last night and we (I mean she) should be able to pay the unsubsidized interest during school. That's huge. The accountable fee really gets my blood boiling, though. The toughest part to stomach is the fact that I deferred last year and feel like I should be grandfathered into the old scheme.

As for other news, I'm down to 5 work days left in NYC. That means only 5 more days of sardine like subway trains into work. Real nice!

I'm glad you came to your senses. I was afraid we were going to have to take a road trip to NYC to beat some sense into you.

I've got 21 business days left and I'll be commuting 60 miles each way starting next week. For those who are new to Denver, I'll let you discover T-REX on your own :(. I'm so ready to be done with my prev. career.

tin can said:
i don't want to distract from MW's more important topic (ie financing this whole med school thing), but i was wondering if anyone knows how or when we are supposed to order our laptops and pda's. the last memo w/ the specs said that they were going to set up an account through dell/gateway/etc for us to order from. they said that it would take a week, but it's been while since then. am i missing anything? does anyone have any insider info?

my laptop is ready to kick the bucket any day now, so i can't help being anxious to get all of my tech stuff taken care of. :)

Any word on the laptops/PDAs? I left a message with Willa (she's out of the office until Monday). There's only 5 weeks and some change before classes start - we should hear something soon or else we will not be able to get them ordered and configured before classes start (not that it would make a big difference the first few weeks). I think I'll have it sent directly to me instead of to the school to avoid the bottleneck thats bound to occur.

moranwoods said:
OK. OK. I've backed away from the ledge for the moment.

Whew! I'm glad to hear. Here's my perspective on loans and the "cost" of becoming a MD. As you probably remember, my wife will not be working and I have a new baby, so I have a lot riding on my decision to "retire" and do what I am passionate about.

Assumptions:
1. I will make a min of 120K after residency
2. I will keep my same lifestyle as I have today (an engineer's salary) - comfortable
3. I will be in the 28% tax bracket

Assuming you can live on $70K pre-tax $s, you will have $50K extra (pre-tax) each year. Since you are in the 28% tax bracket, that leaves you with $36K post-tax of "extra" money to apply toward loans or other investment options (if the rate of return is better than the student loan interest rate).

Using your Worst Case Scenario loan balance after 3 years of residency deferral - $279,366, you can pay off the balance in ~8 years. No bad for the priviledge of doing work you will love and work that has a PURPOSE. If you actually make $150K, your payback period is ~5 years.

From my observations and discussions w/several people, a lot of doctors spend most of what they make. Hopefully I will not fall into this trap and be able to follow assumption #2 above.

This is a simplistic analysis, but I hope you see that you can do it!

Has anyone without insurance found a good solution to the immunization business? I have emergency insurance until school starts, but it's no good for primary care stuff like this.

The Denver Health Immunization Clinic can provide all the shots, but they can't sign off on the form since none of them meet the MD, DO, NP, PA, RN requirements. I haven't been able to track down any childhood records. So I need 4 polio shots and a bunch of other stuff.

Anyone know when our student plan officially starts?

bkflaneur said:
Has anyone without insurance found a good solution to the immunization business? I have emergency insurance until school starts, but it's no good for primary care stuff like this.

The Denver Health Immunization Clinic can provide all the shots, but they can't sign off on the form since none of them meet the MD, DO, NP, PA, RN requirements. I haven't been able to track down any childhood records. So I need 4 polio shots and a bunch of other stuff.

I have insurance, but I still went to the county health dept. My PCP quoted me ca. $300 for the polio shots and $150 for the MMR titers. I went to the health dept and was charged $30 / polio injection and $50 for the titers. I'm in Colorado Springs, but I would expect something similar in Denver. There were RNs who signed off on my sheet. Hope this helps.

Be careful - not all health depts can or will do titers. On the western slope the health dept will NOT draw titers - but PPD tests are $10. I know all other immunization shots are pretty darn cheap there, too. And they'll sign off your form.

bkflaneur said:

Anyone know when our student plan officially starts?
BK,

you may want to try calling the Visiting Nurses Association. If they cannot help you, they may be able to steer you in the right direction. They are right off of Speer and Washington (I think).\\-gd

medicalbound said:
I have insurance, but I still went to the county health dept. My PCP quoted me ca. $300 for the polio shots and $150 for the MMR titers. I went to the health dept and was charged $30 / polio injection and $50 for the titers. I'm in Colorado Springs, but I would expect something similar in Denver. There were RNs who signed off on my sheet. Hope this helps.

It's starting to feel like getting the immunization form complete is our first homework assignment in the public health system. The Denver Health Immunization Clinic can provide the shots. But they don't have an RN or MD to sign off on the form, and they don't have anyone who can read my MMR titer results. So they sent me to someone else who sent me to someone else who gave me a list of public primary care clinics. After holding with the primary care clinic for 15 minutes, I got someone who told me that they don't do adult immunization shots. I explained the full story, and she transferred me to someone else's voicemail. So, maybe I can go to the Denver Health Immunization Clinic for the shots, and then make another appointment at the primary care clinic to have them sign the form? The 4 shot polio series will cost $160; PPD is $15; then there's a $50 office visit at the primary care clinic to get the signature. So it's $225 to get this thing completed.

In case anyone else is dealing with the immunization frustration in Denver, I had much better luck with the Beacon Clinic in Boulder. (303) 938-3167.

If anyone finds exceptionally good deals/coupons for the Dell Axim, let the rest of us know. It is currently listed at $374.25 on the Dell site.

Also, I just checked with financial aid on reimbursements. The appeal forms should be available around July 15th and take 6-8 weeks for turnaround.

medicalbound said:
If anyone finds exceptionally good deals/coupons for the Dell Axim, let the rest of us know. It is currently listed at $374.25 on the Dell site.

I don't think it's worth it, but ebay has new Axim x51v's for $325 and up at the ButItNow price. Most seem to come with a 1 yr warranty. Some are factory refurbished models. I called Dell customer service to ask if I could buy through ebay and then purchase the Dell extended warranty. They said it depends on the seller - if it's a reseller, then no. If it's an individual, maybe. For that price difference, I don't think the risk is worth it.

Is anyone else considering buying a Mac Book? I know someone posted a few months ago about plans to buy a Mac Book. I don't want to create headaches for myself But if I have to spend $1300 on a computer, I'd rather get something I'm happy with. I could buy a Mac Book, and run it in Windows whenever necessary. If it weren't for the PDA, I would definitely do that. Or I could just go with the program....

CU's computer policy is kind of frustrating. It seems like they're unnecessarily rigid and high end about everything. I still have doubts that we really need a $400 pda for MS1.

bkflaneur said:
I don't think it's worth it, but ebay has new Axim x51v's for $325 and up at the ButItNow price. Most seem to come with a 1 yr warranty. Some are factory refurbished models. I called Dell customer service to ask if I could buy through ebay and then purchase the Dell extended warranty. They said it depends on the seller - if it's a reseller, then no. If it's an individual, maybe. For that price difference, I don't think the risk is worth it.

Is anyone else considering buying a Mac Book? I know someone posted a few months ago about plans to buy a Mac Book. I don't want to create headaches for myself But if I have to spend $1300 on a computer, I'd rather get something I'm happy with. I could buy a Mac Book, and run it in Windows whenever necessary. If it weren't for the PDA, I would definitely do that. Or I could just go with the program....

CU's computer policy is kind of frustrating. It seems like they're unnecessarily rigid and high end about everything. I still have doubts that we really need a $400 pda for MS1.

Thanks for the tip. I agree, however, that for that little of a difference, it's probably not worth the risk. I'll be going with a PC (I don't speak Macanese anyways). I'm guessing that you'd probably be okay running a Mac in Windows, but if you have any problems you'd be SOL (reinforced in the email we received yesterday).

You're probably right about not needing the PDA for 1st year, but I can tell you from experience that it is very helpful to have ePocrates and other references available during clinicals. I know that it will be helpful during our Foundations weekly encounters too -- it's amazing how fast and easy it is to look up unknown medications and ddx's. Plus, the more you use it now, it will be second-nature later when it becomes more critical.

bkflaneur said:

I'm 98% Positive that I'm buying a macbook. However, it seems like an expensive proposition to get one with enough ram and hard drive space to run OSX and then XP. The next mac OS will probably be equipped to run MS vista, and both of those OS's are due out in early 2007. But to run both will require at least twice the ram that comes standard in a macbook. That means that I'll have to customize it online, so I'll be spending anywhere from $1700 to $2000 after Tax and the 3 year warranty. I’ll pay it though if I don’t have to go through the crap that I have faced with my Compaq or that my pc friends have faced.

Where I think mac users would face the most problems is if something happens with windows on the mac, the mac OS is still fine, but it’s up to us to backup whatever is in on windows and reformat it or pay someone else for help. I just don’t know how big of a deal that would be for the software we will be required to use.

I've had a Mac at CU for the last 2 years and I have almost never needed a PC. When I did, I went to one of the abundant free computers in either the SOM or the library, or I used my old PC laptop at home.

I have a second-hand PDA that is below their top of the line requirements. So far I have not needed it one single day on my surgery rotation. I am sure that I will need it soon (e.g. medicine), but hey, my attending here doesn't use a PDA, and if I don't know the differential diagnosis for most of the common stuff we see here, I am going to fail the exam anyway.

My experience has been that the CU IT people always recommend equipment for us that's way over the top. We don't need anything that expensive, especially with something that will be outdated in 3-4 years anyway (and that especially applies to PDAs). As an example, at first they told us that we had to buy PDAs for a specific software application for 3rd year. PDAs had to be Windows because this application would only run on Windows. So half the class goes out and gets the expensive Axim because they have convinced us that without it, we'll be in the dark ages. Then we find out that actually, the software runs great on Palm. And, you don't even need a PDA because with an Internet connection and a computer, you can enter the data directly online. On my current rotation, that works a hundred times better than carrying around another piece of stuff that I wouldn't use for anything else.

Mumpu posted above about his cheapo PDA and its excellence. I know it's hard to believe, and I know they will give you the big scary line about how you must have the expensive equipment or you will probably fail first year and the school will lose its accreditation. I cannot guarantee anything, but my experience in the past 2 years is that none of this has been true.

In my opinion, the biggest deal with computer choice is that eventually you will need something that can speak to a PDA, and it will probably have to be something at hand rather than at school. I've heard variable reports about success in synching Macs with PocketPC. But all of this technology is improving fast, and getting cheaper quickly.

Maybe they are changing the curriculum enough to really incorporate technology and really use your PDA extensively in first year. Maybe. Like I said, so far we have spent hundreds or thousands of dollars on stuff that was way more expensive than what we needed. And that is very frustrating.

shortyganoush said:
I'm 98% Positive that I'm buying a macbook. However, it seems like an expensive proposition to get one with enough ram and hard drive space to run OSX and then XP.

See, I didn't really think that part through. Do you know how much ram and drive space you need to run both systems? Apple has refurbished Mac Books on sale now. You can get the white 2GHz Mac Book for $1099.