UIC Class of 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yes- i know that one guy- he was AOA in fact- with a funky but cool haircut. but actually- i think if you want a "good" plastics match, then yeah- you need to work on the connections, and since you do plastic residency right away (i.e. it is not a subspecialty of gen surg), you should find that connection- don't think i know anyone off the bat. by the way, from watchin the first season of nip/tuck, i was inclined to believe that there are also "not so great" plastics residencies which might be signigicantly easier to get- that short bald guy for instance was apparently bottom of his class. But then again- tv usually lies.

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding is that not all plastics programs are integrated residencies and many are still fellowship programs to be completed after a general surgery residency. Both varieties are very competitive to get into.

sga814 said:
yes- i know that one guy- he was AOA in fact- with a funky but cool haircut. but actually- i think if you want a "good" plastics match, then yeah- you need to work on the connections, and since you do plastic residency right away (i.e. it is not a subspecialty of gen surg), you should find that connection- don't think i know anyone off the bat. by the way, from watchin the first season of nip/tuck, i was inclined to believe that there are also "not so great" plastics residencies which might be signigicantly easier to get- that short bald guy for instance was apparently bottom of his class. But then again- tv usually lies.

so, how does one go about trying to get connections. I'm interested in surgery and possibly plastics or some other specialty that involves more delicate work. i'm good with my hands-I dissect out fruit fly brains and do other microscopic dissecting in my research job and find that I like it and I'm unusually good at it. I'm not sure if that really makes a difference, but at least I know I have the motor skills to at least consider it. Plus, I've taken some of those "interest/personality" surveys that match you with appropriate residencies and plastics is alway high on the list. Of course, at this point I take that kind of stuff lightly, but it is something to start thinking about. As an M1 trying to keep an eye on the big picture, what extra things should I be doing to ultimately be competitive. I mean, other than the obvious things like doing well in my classes, etc......

Members don't see this ad :)
M3/4's + residents- please help me here- but I will try to respond best I can

classes matter very little compared to step 1.. if you have an awesome step 1, your classes will be very insignificant.. caveat is though- most people who do well on step 1 usually do well in classes as well.. although there are those lazy mofos who just barely pass/go to classes while studying hardcore for boards (I hear this is possible)- and do well on boards...

anyways- my impression is that you should get to know people in your specialty of choice.. especially if they are residency directors.. but if your boards are really high-- one stand dev. above average- you probably won't have to heavily rely on connections..

as for groups/random crap- i think most of them are a waste of time for CV's- unless its something really serious like class president or board member, AOA.. or unless you're really into it- then it's more for you than it is for your CV- basically- maximize your study time to do well in classes/boards- because in the end- its numbers that matter, not words describing your activities

for the more competitive residencies- research is always a plus- however once again- with amazing scores you may not even need that.. but this is the one thing most people who apply for competitive residencies try to do anyway- however, from what I heard from M4's after match day- the best time to do research is doing your clinical years- b/c one- it actually counts as a course, two- you'll really understand whats going on clinically/pathologically- as opposed to m1/2 summer- where you'll basically be someone's bitch for the sake of your CV.. i'm personally doing a rotating externship over the summer to get a better idea of what field I may end up liking (eg more for myself than for the sake of my CV)

.... you're good w/ your hands... well that's good- doesn't automatically qualify you to be a surgeon though... take some time to get to know all the specialties b/f you make a solid committment (I have colleagues that would disagree- but :p )...

alright, that's all I've got I think...

peace

sga814 said:

classes matter very little compared to step 1.. if you have an awesome step 1, your classes will be very insignificant.. caveat is though- most people who do well on step 1 usually do well in classes as well.. although there are those lazy mofos who just barely pass/go to classes while studying hardcore for boards (I hear this is possible)- and do well on boards...
peace

Wow, thanks for all the information. That is really helpful. I'm planning on keeping an open mind about everything until I really have a better idea of what I'm really getting myself into, but it is good to have a heads up on expectations too. Thanks again.

kitsy said:
Wow, thanks for all the information. That is really helpful. I'm planning on keeping an open mind about everything until I really have a better idea of what I'm really getting myself into, but it is good to have a heads up on expectations too. Thanks again.

for connections, pick a faculty advisor in the field or as close to as possible. Have them help you connect with people who are student friendly and willing to let you shadow. Be nice, professional, prompt and a little spunky (if called for) and that will help you get connections. When people like you they want to help you out. Sometimes it's not what you know but who you know.

Step 1 is a big deal, but it's not the end of the world. I was told that chicago would be tough for me to get the specialty I wanted given my score - but I ended up at a top notch place... so scores aren't everything but they do open those doors for you.

On a totally unacademic note,...

who is the best realtor in the area that could help me find a nice 2bdrm in university village (east of UIC-COM and west of UIC-undergrad).

I gotta land me a 2bdrm (w/at least 1 big room) that has parking for under 1200/month. I have a lead on one for a 1000/month but the landlord has my deposit and is buying time before he'll let me sign a lease :smuggrin:

I've done the chicago reader, uic site, craigslist and a bunch of other online sites but I need some really good local leads.

I hit up New West Realty and there places are decent, but hardly any have parking.

Thanks fellas.

sga814 said:

there seems to be some good m2s helping you guys out already.

SGA said it well there; def dont forget that caveat. classes might not mean much or some like to put it - first and second year grades dont count much. That is prolly true and steps are way important but if you were like me a bit and said screw class grades and lazed around, the step 1s will prolly bite ya in the butt - doing well in your classes will help ya on the boards. I am not sayin stress yourself out studyin, but you are there to learn and dont blow it saying I will turn it on later come boards.

therez that quote rite - "good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgement" well, i got some good judgement after m1 year. (HAH!)

anyways, congratulations to everybody here who got in and if ppl are on the waitlists, good luck and enjoy the summer! :cool:

BerkeleyMD said:
On a totally unacademic note,...

who is the best realtor in the area that could help me find a nice 2bdrm in university village (east of UIC-COM and west of UIC-undergrad).

I gotta land me a 2bdrm (w/at least 1 big room) that has parking for under 1200/month. I have a lead on one for a 1000/month but the landlord has my deposit and is buying time before he'll let me sign a lease :smuggrin:

I've done the chicago reader, uic site, craigslist and a bunch of other online sites but I need some really good local leads.

I hit up New West Realty and there places are decent, but hardly any have parking.

Thanks fellas.

stuff in and close to the UIC area tends to be overpriced- especially md city- DO NOT LIVE THERE badbadbad (unless you like overpaying for false promises and the CONSTANT noise of ambulances and good old Ashland Ave.) Although there seem to some fairly decent places that get grabbed really quickly.

Have you considered looking at something in Wrigleyville, Lincoln Park, or Gold Coast? (about 15-20 minute el trips).

Ukrainian village/Wicker Park is a little more ghetto- but under redevelopment- and is more or less safe and still close (west of) UIC- I think that $1000/month figure for a 2bdrm is more representative of that area than of anything you'd find in the "more desirable area" (within UIC campus/University Village).

sorry, have to put in my 2c. I lived in lincoln park right at the north edge next to lakeview. It took me 40-50min to get to class via the 'el' everyday and 2x on the weekends. Gold coast would be better for timing but it's pricier.

If you drive from LP, lakeview you can make it to campus in 20-30 min.

Given that, I have never lived by UIC and just would never want to. I've lived in chicago for 10 years and lakeview, lincoln park, wriglyville and even buck town are THE best places in the city to live - party, hang-out, great restaurants and bars... it was worth that evil 40min commute for 2 years. There's also a plethora of bookstores and coffee shops to study in and of course De Paul library has nice, quite study areas AND study rooms for when you want to hold a group review for a test.

I am applying for the fall 2006 class as well and recieved that same email. On May 18th, I checked my status and is said that a "final decision has been made" I am not sure exactly what that means, but I guess it is a good sign that I got the status change so close to the May 15th deadline (when alot of spots open up). I am guessing that they either had a spot open up or realized that I am too far out of the running to be accepted, hence a rejection. It seems like they would wait longer than three days before they started telling people they were on the waitlist......Any thoughts??

Congrats fellow UICers!

I graduated from college last week and just started looking for an apartment close to UIC.

If you'll be living in the vicinity, do you need a roommate? I'm 22 y/o, female, clean, and quiet when studying and sleeping (or when you need the place quiet). I do enjoy partying after studying and know how to have a good time

Do you already have any apartment(s) scoped out? I'm still looking on Apartmentfinder and UIC's off-campus housing. I'm from the Chicagoland area, but want to avoid the rush hour traffic and having to get up any earlier than is absolutely necessary.

PM me please if you're still looking for a roommate.

Thanks,
R

Does anyone know what kind of activities are being planned for the Chicago orientation this year? Just curious if there are going to be a lot of lame "getting to know you" type of games going on.

Members don't see this ad :)
squareDR said:
Does anyone know what kind of activities are being planned for the Chicago orientation this year? Just curious if there are going to be a lot of lame "getting to know you" type of games going on.

probably whirleyball or second city tickets like last year (i was actually cruising the OSA website this afternoon). it doesn't matter; by the time the mandatory stuff finishes i'm going to knock off and drink with nonmedical people.

orientation is:

a little lame getting to know you crap
a lot of sitting through boring crap
a lot of waking up in the morning for boring crap

some fun activities such as whirly ball, 2nd city, etc

but most importantly- a lot of drinking afterwards... take advantage of the opportunity

and then........ you start classes muhahahahah :laugh:
(unfortunately)

I had to look up what Whirlyball was but it looks like it will be fun.

The getting early part after a night of drinking is what worries me. The falling asleep during a speech about professional behavior part will just be the perfect beginning to med school. :D

squareDR said:
The getting early part after a night of drinking is what worries me. The falling asleep during a speech about professional behavior part will just be the perfect beginning to med school. :D

Definately not a good first impression.

I just wish it started later in the morning.

well- it probably won't be too early-round 8 or 9.... they don't want to torture you (although it will certainly seem like it w/ the exam schedule- best description= "academic hazing" (although exams aren't too bad for the most part)) but still- this was early for me b/c i am one lazy mofo- although i somehow managed to make it to later parts, or on the rare occasion- an entire 8:30-9:20 class...

best advice for getting out of bed for the earlier classes-

"get up? no! stop! i can just co-op!!"

Hey guys - just thought I'd post here since my signature just changed...I got an offer today off of University of Chicago's waitlist, and I will be going there in the fall. I've had a ton of fun talking with you guys on this thread and I wish you all the best of luck at UIC, it's a great school! M1s and later, thanks for all your advice, you've all been really helpful. Later!

thinknofu3 said:
Hey guys - just thought I'd post here since my signature just changed...I got an offer today off of University of Chicago's waitlist, and I will be going there in the fall. I've had a ton of fun talking with you guys on this thread and I wish you all the best of luck at UIC, it's a great school! M1s and later, thanks for all your advice, you've all been really helpful. Later!

congrats!! you made the right choice :thumbup:

I saw that in the waitlist thread! Congrats! You must be excited =).

Thanks for the well wishes guys, it really means a lot. And on a beneficial, positive note for some on this thread - I will be vacating a spot on the Chicago campus (as soon as I get my U of C documentation), so hopefully some UPR-er who really wants it can get their wishes fulfilled too :)

I have a
House for Rent
4 bedroom, 2 bath
Forest Park, IL

1 mile east of Loyola Med Center in Maywood.
1 mile south of Dominican University and Concordia in River Forest.
10 mins from UIC, or less via Blue line—just 4 blocks from Blue line

Bright and sunny house with lots of space for reading, studying, sleeping!

Four bedroom, two bathroom house has classic vintage details with modern amenities. Beautiful hardwood floors, formal dining room, gorgeous new kitchen with stainless-steel appliances, two updated baths.

Bedrooms are good sized. Plenty of space for 3 to 4 roommates, with enough space to have quiet study area at one end and recreational space at the other end. Kitchen has ample storage and counter space. Extra storage space in basement.

Extra rooms include a sun room, spacious carpeted rec room, additional office space or bedroom in lower level, and bright clean laundry area. Freshly painted throughout.

Big fenced yard (with lawn service) and 2-car garage. Additional parking spaces available. Close to shopping, grade school, transportation (Blue line), public pool. Clean, quiet family-oriented neighborhood.

No smoking, pets OK

$2200. Available June 15. Water and lawn service incl. Renters pay elec, heat.

Call Kathryn at 708-383-7276 or email to [email protected].

If only there was some way we could trade before you dropped your spot... ho hum. :p

thinknofu3 said:
Thanks for the well wishes guys, it really means a lot. And on a beneficial, positive note for some on this thread - I will be vacating a spot on the Chicago campus (as soon as I get my U of C documentation), so hopefully some UPR-er who really wants it can get their wishes fulfilled too :)

Excellent! Look me up in the radiology dept. next year if you have a chance. -sarah

I got a packet with orientation information and information for proficiency tests. Has anyone taken the proficiency test before? I need to reply before June 2 so your earliest replies appreciated.

How can we prepare for these tests?

I'm not exactly sure "how" proficiency tests work, but I will tell you this:

pros of proficiency exams: you won't have to take the course if you pass

cons: from what I know, you probably won't be able to honor the class, it'll basically be "credit by examination" on your transcript (however, not 100% sure about this- so you may want to look into it a bit more by calling the registrar), so if you know the stuff pretty well, it may be a good idea to take the class and add an "outstanding" grade into your transcript, however... perhaps it might be "equally better" to do well in classes you're not familiar with.

sga814 said:
I'm not exactly sure "how" proficiency tests work, but I will tell you this:

pros of proficiency exams: you won't have to take the course if you pass

cons: from what I know, you probably won't be able to honor the class, it'll basically be "credit by examination" on your transcript (however, not 100% sure about this- so you may want to look into it a bit more by calling the registrar), so if you know the stuff pretty well, it may be a good idea to take the class and add an "outstanding" grade into your transcript, however... perhaps it might be "equally better" to do well in classes you're not familiar with.
yes it is credit by examination. But it would be one less class to worry about during the academic year. plus, if you take the profeciency test and fail it will be like I never attempted and the attempt is never on the record.

goodboyof19 said:
I got a packet with orientation information and information for proficiency tests. Has anyone taken the proficiency test before? I need to reply before June 2 so your earliest replies appreciated.

How can we prepare for these tests?

I'd prep by enjoying the summer :laugh:

I do admit that it would suck to go through all that bio-chem stuff again, but taking all the classes will refresh your memory and help you for the boards.

My impression from reading about the proficiency exams is that you will be taking the same exam as the current M1s who need to make up a particular class in the summer. Maybe you should ask people on the 2009 thread for their notes/old exams. That is, if you are intent on ruining your summer. :oops:

squareDR said:
My impression from reading about the proficiency exams is that you will be taking the same exam as the current M1s who need to make up a particular class in the summer. Maybe you should ask people on the 2009 thread for their notes/old exams. That is, if you are intent on ruining your summer. :oops:

The tests are the NBME section exams. They are administered by the same people who do the Board exams.

Does anyone know if UIC's wailist usually shows a lot of movement or not? I am an anxious waiter... :p

Sorry if someone already posted this, but here's the link for the white coat ceremony sign up. I found it when i was searching so im not sure if we're supposed to fill it out yet, but i did. Exciting stuff!

http://www.uic.edu/depts/mcam/osa/M1Year/whitecoat.htm

edit: this is for the chicago campus.

sanche60 said:
Sorry if someone already posted this, but here's the link for the white coat ceremony sign up. I found it when i was searching so im not sure if we're supposed to fill it out yet, but i did. Exciting stuff!

http://www.uic.edu/depts/mcam/osa/M1Year/whitecoat.htm

edit: this is for the chicago campus.

Thanks for the reminder, was it mentioned in the new packet that we fill this form out?

Also, does anyone know of any good, cheap (emphasize more on cheap..) furniture places in chicago.

I know there is IKEA and a bunch of brand stores, but I am looking for those little shops that have nice LR/BDRM/KTCH furniture at bargain prices. Out here in Cali, they are generally in the southside/downtown and are owned by hispanics/mexicans.

Just need a heads up as to were to go, they usually got great deals.

Check out Roy's on sheffield just north of sheffield and fullerton (DePaul University area).

I got a brand new love seat there for 275 inc delivery. I think the sofa was only $50 more but I was living in a studio at the time.

http://www.roysfurniturecompany.com/

Hey guys, sorry to crash this thread again, but I have info someone may be interested in:

I have an apartment already which is less than a 10 min walk from UIC, and I'm currently looking for a roommate, and it would be great if I could room with another med student. The apartment is in a nice, quiet area in the Medical Village (it overlooks a park!), and is a 2 bed, 2 bath, so you'd have your own bedroom and bathroom, and the place is fully furnished except for the 2nd bedroom (and newly remodeled!) The amenities are great too - I'd be happy to tell you more about them. If anybody is interested, definitely PM me for details! (including rent, etc.)

So it's june 1st and I'm beginning to grow a bit anxious to make my living arrangements. Has anybody else besides the two who posted earlier had any luck with the campus transfers?

Ombatay said:
So it's june 1st and I'm beginning to grow a bit anxious to make my living arrangements. Has anybody else besides the two who posted earlier had any luck with the campus transfers?

yea still planning to go up there in early july to secure a spot.

to "secure a spot" as in you're assigned to the UPR track, but are going to get a spot for Chicago? Outside of writing a letter of appeal, what else is there we can do? I'm confused as to what you mean by "secure a spot"

Ombatay said:
to "secure a spot" as in you're assigned to the UPR track, but are going to get a spot for Chicago? Outside of writing a letter of appeal, what else is there we can do? I'm confused as to what you mean by "secure a spot"

I'm sorry for the confusion, I meant secure a spot as in finding housing. I was initially assigned to the chicago spot.

hey guys- for those of you waiting for transfers to the chicago campus, i called the office yesterday and they said we wouldn't know anything until july and that they hadn't made any decisions yet.

mkdoc said:
hey guys- for those of you waiting for transfers to the chicago campus, i called the office yesterday and they said we wouldn't know anything until july and that they hadn't made any decisions yet.

I'm learning to take all that they tell you with a whole shaker of salt. I was told when I called two weeks ago, that if I didn't hear by the end of the next week (this week), that that was it, and that transfers have officially ceased. I called again to check on something, and asked again since I was talking to someone else, and was told that they continue up to orientation. The answer I've gotten more often than not when I asked was that they have made some, although not a lot, and will continue to make a few throughout the summer. If its anything like last year there probably will be a lot in august. I know they've made at least two moves so far...

It pretty much seems that whomever answers the phone in the office tells you whatever they think might get you to stop calling and bothering them for a while :) . Someone was told earlier that they couldn't find out if they were assigned to Rockford or Peoria until the spring of their M1 year in champaign! :laugh:

I’ll be an M1 in the fall and recently moved into the UIC area (~15 min walk to the med school campus). Anyway, one of the units in the building is for sale, so if anyone is interested in knowing more details, please PM me.

uniatgreen said:
I’ll be an M1 in the fall and recently moved into the UIC area (~15 min walk to the med school campus). Anyway, one of the units in the building is for sale, so if anyone is interested in knowing more details, please PM me.

I would like to know more, PM me

Hello all,

Activate your netid at UIC which will give you your email account and UIC computer center account. You will also be able to log into UI intergrate system to see your financial aid status/registration info and all that good stuff.

Use this link. You will need your Univ. ID numnber or UIN number located on your orientation letter/packet sent out a couple of weeks ago.

You will be activating your netid during orientation but you can also do it now!

http://www.uic.edu/depts/accc/cso/orient/confirmation.html

The links directs you to consultant for questions. As an ex-consultant I can answer many of your questions. PM me

Good Luck

goodboyof19 said:
Hello all,

Activate your netid at UIC which will give you your email account and UIC computer center account. You will also be able to log into UI intergrate system to see your financial aid status/registration info and all that good stuff.

Use this link. You will need your Univ. ID numnber or UIN number located on your orientation letter/packet sent out a couple of weeks ago.

You will be activating your netid during orientation but you can also do it now!

http://www.uic.edu/depts/accc/cso/orient/confirmation.html

The links directs you to consultant for questions. As an ex-consultant I can answer many of your questions. PM me

Good Luck

Thanks for the heads up. Have you ordered your white coat yet? The deadline is in July, but they haven't asked us to sign up yet... here is the link:

http://www.uic.edu/depts/mcam/osa/index.html

hi everyone,
I'm a rising M1 and thinking about living in one of the dorms. I wanted to know your thoughts on which one to pick: SSR (single student residence) or PSR (Polk Street Residence). The housing office tried to steer me towards SSR but I just wanted to get other people's opinions.

Also, what are your suggestions about the meal plans they offer? Are there any other places to eat around there?

Thanks for your help and I hope everyone is having a great summer!

Does anyone know if UIC med students live in the Oak Park or River Forest neighborhoods?

wannabmed said:
Does anyone know if UIC med students live in the Oak Park or River Forest neighborhoods?

yeah, its not a bad neighborhood. If you are here with your family and would want more for your money you may as well stay a little away from the city. Oakpark is a good choice. I know someonewho lives there and he has been commuting with no problems. Oak park has blue line train access. we will get U-pass(unlimited rides pass for students for these trains/buses) that you can use to commute.

check for listings here too http://www.housing.uic.edu/offcampus/