UIC Class of 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thinknofu3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Now that I'm 99.9% sure that I'll be headed to UIC next year, I want to get to know my fellow classmates! So here's OUR forum :) Post away!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey whats up UICers, it looks like theres 2 of us that will be going to UIC this upcoming fall. Feeling a little nervous, yet excited--probably like everyone else is feeling.

I'll probably be at UIC next year too! Chicago campus! Yay U of I :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been accepted but not sure if I"ll be attending as I'm waiting to hear back about the MD/PhD program first, but congrats to all!

I am waiting to hear back about my site assignment, but if I do get Chicago, I am definitely going =). My status page changed again on friday so I'm expecting mail tomorrow.

You beat me to it. First thing I was gonna do if I got Chicago campus was start this thread as I was amazed that there wasn't one.

Yeah, I was surprised there wasn't one either. Good luck with getting the Chicago campus...i got my confirmation back in December and was super excited - I'm from the northwest suburbs and I've always wanted to live in the city :) The location of the Chicago campus is defintely a huge plus.

Btw - do you guys know if UIC does anything like a second look day? Not that it would change my decision, but it would be fun to spend a day there so we can be even more stoked about next fall... ;)

I know there was a 2nd look day last year, so I am assuming there will be one this year. I think it was mid-april.

Northwest Suburbs woo! (hoffman/schaumburg area here)

Has anyone been thinking about possible housing near that area? I'm looking around, and all the housing I've been finding is pretty expensive. I'm looking for something already furnished...........has anybody found anything pretty decent yet? Or am I still way ahead of the game? I got accepted way back in October, and now I'm kinda just ready to start. :)

I have thought a little about places to live, but I know that I won't be looking for a furnished place, since I have all this furniture I already bought for my apartment in Evanston...I'm also looking into actually buying a place, considering I'll probably stay in one place for at least two years...

Btw - I'm from the Buffalo Grove area :)

Hello everyone,
I will be starting UIC got my Chicago confirmation earlier this year. UIC is my alma mater and I love it around here. You guys missed out on the new rec center built on the east campus(just 3 blocks east of med school). State of the art building to be open soon. The othe rrec center we went to, as part of the tour, has also been recently build.

It is a little too early to hunt for apartments. I live on campus in an apartment and would want to move a little further down next year just so that I get a quieter affordable place. Many apartment listing are found from UIC housing website where individual landlords place their info. http://www.housing.uic.edu/offcampus/

I am not sure about 2nd review day. I sure do not need one but would love to come by. Hopefully to get the food. We had Pompei pizza and other stuff after my interview and since I was an AM interviewee I could eat all I want as there was no fear of burping during the interview.

If any of you guys come around PM me and we can hang out.

Where is everyone else from? Also, please indicate your site.

I'm chicago campus - but I want to stress that this thread is for UPR people as well - we're not exclusive here ;)

anybody has any idea of where they would be living at? I'm from Miami so I'm pretty much lost with the demographics of chicago.

Hey thinkin (and everyone else too)...

I'm from the good old BG as well! I went to bghs, graduated in 2002. I currently go to UofI in champaign and am still deciding between Northwestern, Loyola, and UIC(chicago campus) for medical school (still waiting to hear from a couple others but it looks like it will be a decision between these 3). What high school did you go to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there! I went to Stevenson, also graduated in 2002. I'm finishing up my last year at Northwestern for undergrad (probably the reason I didn't get an interview at Feinberg). I applied to Loyola too - also haven't heard anything from them. (Don't think its b/c i'm a crappy applicant - I got 10 interviews!) I visited someone who is a patient at Loyola a couple of weeks ago, and I'd never been there - and once I saw the area its in I didn't even care anymore :) I honestly don't know anything about their school, but UIC defintely wins on location and price. Not that I'm biased or anything...

NU grad here... probably going to end up at UIC. got financial aid stuff today but didn't see a location assignment. probably cyall in August.

got my assignment today,

MI - urbana

MII-4: rockford.....

Chef - when did you graduate? Maybe we know each other :) (You know, since NU is such a ridiculously small world...)

Last edited:
busthwt said:
anybody has any idea of where they would be living at? I'm from Miami so I'm pretty much lost with the demographics of chicago.

Hey you guys! I'm joining the group too. What's a good/economical/safe place near UIC to live? Rent seems to vary.

Anyone else here from OOS?

I was actually online for a few min (procrastinating, as I'm doing now by posting here) earlier today looking at places - it seems like where I'd end up is somewhere in the medical village, that will hopefully be walking distance from the school. A lot of the listings come up in Pilsen too, which is the neighborhood right next to the medical village.

Well, UIC did assign me to the UPR track, Urbana-Rockford is my current destiny. I'm not much for going down without a fight though, so I'm beginning the appeals process. Not gonna lie, a little bit heartbroken.

For those curious, I hand delivered my site preference letter the morning immediately following recieving the acceptance packet, AND I attached a letter stating my personal reasons for needing to be in Chicago (which were not something I think the adcom would in any way take lightly, no baloney like I love chicago and grew up here and would hate to move too far from wrigley field (although that would in itself be an atrocity)...)

I will keep you all updated as to what happens, but right now I'm milling a probable acceptance to RFU/CMS vs. UIC Urbana-Rockford. Any thoughts on that?

Last edited:

Last edited:
thinknofu3 said:
Chef - when did you graduate? Maybe we know each other :) (You know, since NU is such a ridiculously small world...)

McCormick c/o 2005

No, I don't believe they allow transfers back to chicago after M1 year, as the teaching approaches are slightly different... something of that nature.

i would keep pushing for it if possible, and keep the faith! mid-May is a ways away, so you might be in luck at that point.

good luck! :luck:

I'm just excited that we hit page two of the thread :) I know, I'm a dork.

No worries. I'll be pushing. Oh and anybody with a chicago spot prefer a rockford spot? I'm open to trade offers... :p

thinknofu3 said:
I was actually online for a few min (procrastinating, as I'm doing now by posting here) earlier today looking at places - it seems like where I'd end up is somewhere in the medical village, that will hopefully be walking distance from the school. A lot of the listings come up in Pilsen too, which is the neighborhood right next to the medical village.

chicagomel said:
there are different neighborhoods that comprise Chicago; basically, they each have their own distinct flavor. when i moved to Chicago for my post-bac, i found my apartment via this website.

http://www.chicagoreader.com/spacefinder

Here's a good website that breaks down Chicago by neighborhood.

http://www.chicagoapartmentfinders....orhoods_n.asp#1

The closer you live to the heart of Chicago proper (i.e., the Loop and downtown), the more expensive it is. As you go farther out, it gets cheaper. This is probably stating the obvious, but oh well. PM me if you need more details.

Thanks for the help!

no problem! here's another handy tip. when you want to figure out if you'll be near public transportation, go to yahoo maps and type in the address.

when you get the map, click on the SmartView panel to the right of it to see your proximity to public transportation, grocery stores, etc. that will give you an idea of what's around.

http://maps.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTExaDg3anUyBF9TAzI3MTYxNDkEc2VjA2ZwLXRyb3VnaARzbGsDbGluaw--

note that "Train Stations" plots the commuter railroad like Metra and Amtrak, and the "Public Transportation" one plots the actual subway/elevated train system.

Yay, got Chicago assignment in the mail yesterday. I'm thinking UIC is my top choice by a small margin at the moment. Anyone know whats the best bang for your buck as far as housing goes? I'm looking for a newer, nicer place (maybe $600-$800/month) with a lot of other med students so we can party it up! Any suggestions?

Hello, Im a current UIC-COM student.

i Noticed this thread and want to say congrats to those who got accepted.

As for those eager beavers talking about housing: THe housing (or shall I say leasing) market around Chicago is dynamic. So dont start looking for anything until, say, end of May.

For those wanting to switch tracks. Dont lose hope. Last year, people got switched the week before school started.

Chef_NU, when did you send back your site preference card? Did you attach a note stating anything of that nature as well? Congrats on getting Chicago campus :thumbup:

what is the mystery behind the assignments. is it really a first come first serve thing or do they take into consideration other things?

Well... the OOA clearly states that its done in a first come first serve basis, but there's often a lot of speculation as to how true that is. It seems theres always a few situations right around this time of year where a number of people come back saying they were assigned UPR track, and then a few days/weeks later a random lucky soul or two will get the Chicago track. So the current theory stands as it is mostyl first come first serve, but near the limit they'll tend to have acceptances to the rule.

Hey guys,

I am a current M1 at UIC-COM. First of all, CONGRATS!!! I like it here, although the exams are driving me nuts.

About 20 people got switched the week before orientation last year to the Chicago campus so it is possible for though of you concerned about this. as far as housing, I live a little off campus but a lot of people live on campus. Check out the Chicago reader but I would wait until April at the earliest.

If you have any questions, PM me... i will help with what i can.

Enjoy your last semester of college! or your last semester of freedom ;) I kid

those are great references - especially the student guide (too bad we won't be surprised by this year's though, lol) thanks a lot!

Ombatay said:
Chef_NU, when did you send back your site preference card? Did you attach a note stating anything of that nature as well? Congrats on getting Chicago campus :thumbup:
I think I sent mine in right after I got back from Christmas vacation (probably around January 2nd). My acceptance mail was dated like December 20 or something but I was away from my mailbox for a week or two so I was kind of late getting things in compared to most other people. Hope this helps.

Ombatay said:
Well, UIC did assign me to the UPR track, Urbana-Rockford is my current destiny. I'm not much for going down without a fight though, so I'm beginning the appeals process. Not gonna lie, a little bit heartbroken.

For those curious, I hand delivered my site preference letter the morning immediately following recieving the acceptance packet, AND I attached a letter stating my personal reasons for needing to be in Chicago (which were not something I think the adcom would in any way take lightly, no baloney like I love chicago and grew up here and would hate to move too far from wrigley field (although that would in itself be an atrocity)...)

I will keep you all updated as to what happens, but right now I'm milling a probable acceptance to RFU/CMS vs. UIC Urbana-Rockford. Any thoughts on that?

Do Rockford! As an alum, now at Mayo in EM, Rockford will serve you well. I think it is actually very under-rated as a campus. See this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=217003 for more in depth explanation or feel free to PM me with any questions.

BTW - Also a Buffalo Grove person. Graduated from Stevenson in 1989! Yep, we only had one pool back then, hard to believe, I know... :laugh:

- H

Well I'm only trying to appeal into the Chicago track based mostly on family/financial situations. I'm not trying to be switched over to Chicago because I bleed cubbie blue (even though I do - This WILL BE our year, two curses broken... one more to go...) or anything of that nature. I actually chose Rockford over Peoria based on the strenght of yours and daiphon's posts, so thanks a million for the increda-detailed posts. Awesome. You do a good job of selling Rockford.

My dilemma is the Rosalind Franklin or UPR track one... but I'm definitely leaning towards UPR, at least based on educational reasons, but leaning towards RFU based on the above stated family reasons...so far UPR is winning out, but hopefully the G-man will make my decision a little easier.

Can someone explain to me the differences in terms of environment of all three campuses. I know that the Chicago campus is in a very lively urban environment, but what about the others? Anyone?

Has anyone satisfied all pre-enrollment requirements? I still have my hepatitis B and Med immunizzation form.

I haven't handed in my medical stuff yet. I was going to sit on it til later in the Spring.

I haven't done my forms yet just because I have to actually graduate first before I can have a final transcript...:)

chef_NU said:
McCormick c/o 2005

I was McCormick 2005 too :) Can't wait to see all of you guys in med school!!! I'm also trying to figure out a place to live..any advice out there?

Anyone have any comments on the medical facilities in Urbana-Champaign? I'd be spending 8+ years there, and I wasn't too impressed with our tour of the Medical Sciences Building...

Hey all!

I'm a current M1 and I'd like to offer you this link for all your housing needs:
http://www.housing.uic.edu/offcampus/

I live on campus right now and will just keep my room for next year. That said the campus housing is not the best and if you can go off campus, preferablly around Ogden or Loomis, then go for it!!

The housing for med students and other health prof students is SSR with its one repeating floor plan and no single room apartments or suites. If you want convenience, it's perfect but expensive. The apartments actually have decent living space, the suites are MUCH smaller!

Honestly though, stop worrying about it! You've got the summer for that.

If you need some other stuff answered PM me or just post on this thread.
And congratulations!

To eram:

I interviewed for the MD/PhD program and I went to UIUC as well as UIC. Urbana is pretty mellow and is a LOT quieter than Chicago but the buildings are nice.

Chicago just got that awesome rec center which I use without fail everday. Also I think the program staff here are nicer but that's a personal preference. The brand new research building recently opened its doors across the street from CMW. And then there's the fMRI Beast and the kick ass neuro program.

I didn't take the PhD track ultimately, I felt the burden of my advanced years and didn't want the added time towards a degree that wouldn't serve me much other than some extra initials at the end of my name.

UIC is poor but better than UPitt in my opinion. So if you're considering the extended dual degree thing choose UIC, (Chicago).

Couldn't tell you much about UNebraska though sorry.

My 2 cents.