UIC Class of 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
nimer1456 said:
Ms. LeAmye Howard emailed us :) She is nice. If you have campus care for the summer you can do it... otherwise wait until fall semester is active.

ha, thanks for clarification sarah.. i bet she got pissed when in my e-mails I addressed her as Howard...

this just shows how much i'm involved with OSA- only person I know really is Corey.

Members don't see this ad.

sga814 said:
ha, thanks for clarification sarah.. i bet she got pissed when in my e-mails I addressed her as Howard...

this just shows how much i'm involved with OSA- only person I know really is Corey.

LOL! I had to do all my immunization stuff already... I was in cook county for ECM last year so I needed to get the titers and all that jazz. Pain in the butt but LeAmye was awesome and really helpful.

Tip to M1's... if you end up at ECM get your titers asap... it takes forever!!

hey fellow class of 2010 members, I have'nt responded to this thread yet, but I'll be attending UIC through the UIUC-Rockford track this year. However, since I'm coming all the way from California, is anyone still looking for roomates. If you are please me know ASAP, since I'll be in Urbana on August 9th

Members don't see this ad :)
mosdef said:
hey fellow class of 2010 members, I have'nt responded to this thread yet, but I'll be attending UIC through the UIUC-Rockford track this year. However, since I'm coming all the way from California, is anyone still looking for roomates. If you are please me know ASAP, since I'll be in Urbana on August 9th

Hey! I think the UPR track people have their own thread. You should ask about the roommate situation on there. This thread is pretty Chicagocentric. Good luck and happy moving day.

Hey guys,

My sister and her boyfriend both went through UIC's Med school, and they have boxes and boxes of notes for all 4 years. I would have used them, but I decided to go to Loyola instead of UIC, so I thought I'd post them up here to see if anyone wants them. They are asking 150$ for each set. Both sets are pretty much the same, so it would do no good to get both. If you guys are interested at all, pm me and you can take a look.

and as always, first come, first serve

Has anybody checked the "live block schedule" lately? I went on in an effort to find out what Orientation II (scheduled for september 29th) entailed, and found all sorts of gems on there like "Snuffalufagus's birthday (august 19th), National Tooth Fairy Day, National Play-doh day, Talk like a pirate day (which is a "real" holiday, sad that I know that :) ), Ice cream cone's birthday... Looks like someone is having fun with the schedule :laugh: .

Back to the point: Does anybody know what the mandatory "Orientation II" is about more than a month after we start?

Sorry, not a clue- maybe it's your LPC orientation? Anyways, what does suck that I just noticed is it seems like they cut out spring break :barf:

That was probably Lee. She's always sending stuff out about crazy holidays and such. She's a real sweetheart and the go to person in regards to computing as you all will find out.

Anyway... hey everyone! Congrats on being accepted and starting at UIC College of Medicine! I'll be an M2 this fall as well. I'm not involved with your 1st orientation week (unfortunately) but i'm sure you'll have a blast!

Now, in regards to "Orientation II," your guess is as good as mine. A lot of changes have taken place in regards to the curriculum for M1 year. This is, in fact, the first time there's been any mention of an orientation II ... looks like all of you will be telling US what it is :)

Ombatay said:
Has anybody checked the "live block schedule" lately? I went on in an effort to find out what Orientation II (scheduled for september 29th) entailed, and found all sorts of gems on there like "Snuffalufagus's birthday (august 19th), National Tooth Fairy Day, National Play-doh day, Talk like a pirate day (which is a "real" holiday, sad that I know that :) ), Ice cream cone's birthday... Looks like someone is having fun with the schedule :laugh: .

Back to the point: Does anybody know what the mandatory "Orientation II" is about more than a month after we start?

Mmm...cookies said:
That was probably Lee. She's always sending stuff out about crazy holidays and such. She's a real sweetheart and the go to person in regards to computing as you all will find out.

Anyway... hey everyone! Congrats on being accepted and starting at UIC College of Medicine! I'll be an M2 this fall as well. I'm not involved with your 1st orientation week (unfortunately) but i'm sure you'll have a blast!

Now, in regards to "Orientation II," your guess is as good as mine. A lot of changes have taken place in regards to the curriculum for M1 year. This is, in fact, the first time there's been any mention of an orientation II ... looks like all of you will be telling US what it is :)

Orientation II is either a joke or it will be fun! They try to keep people relaxed during all this stuff :) Who is the cookie monster??

I am going to be on the panal for the going to class... I will be the person who "hardly goes to class" but still did well! So if nothing else I will meet you guys on Thursday! Get excited :)

Now, in regards to "Orientation II," your guess is as good as mine. A lot of changes have taken place in regards to the curriculum for M1 year. This is, in fact, the first time there's been any mention of an orientation II ... looks like all of you will be telling US what it is :)[/QUOTE]

Orientation II will take place after your first set of examinations. It is meant to address topics that may seem irrelevant during the summer orientation. Grade distributions will be explained so that you can better understand the grading system here; information will be provided on ASN (academic support network) which provides tutoring to students; discussion of the promotions policy will be discussed (what happens if you fail classes etc), things of that nature.

Hope that helps a bit

i just called the financial aid office yesterday to find that out - you have to go to www.sfs.uic.edu and register for a direct deposit (with your current bank info), they will be sending the money (to the school for tuition and the leftovers to your account) towards the end of august....

btw, my name is Emilia and like most of you, i am an incoming M1. i am an out-of-stater and moved to the city 2 weeks ago. i guess i will see you all on monday!!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
medicomel said:
no, guys, it's done on campus during monday and tuesday of orientation. when selecting a location, you have to scroll down from the map portion. i think in the dropdown menu it's called special something or other. follow that through and it should get you to selecting UIC chicago campus or champaign.

select a day, and then any time during that day, and it should lead you to filling out the registration form. when it's time to enter a payment, then enter the code that Mark Urosev told you in the email.

i was completely confused yesterday and he walked me through it over the phone. hope this helps.

where do we go on campus? I got my appointment set up online for monday at 10ish. then drove 2000 miles from seattle with my dog in my unairconditioned overheating old subaru wagon. now my brain is mush. help.

kitsy said:
where do we go on campus? I got my appointment set up online for monday at 10ish. then drove 2000 miles from seattle with my dog in my unairconditioned overheating old subaru wagon. now my brain is mush. help.

i'm pretty sure it's at the corner of polk/wolcott, at the student center. somebody correct me? i'm not 100%, but i do know that you'll take the pink line to the Polk stop and then walk east until you get to wolcott. from there you can ask around, or somebody more knowledgable can chime in.

welcome to chicago! :)

i think you should go west, not east from the polk street train station. the student center is the building accross the street from that old brick building where the admissions office is (remember that i-view day, long time ago...)

my understanidng is that the M2-s will be hosting a welcome table there (between 11am and 4pm). once we get there, we can go together to have that fingerprinting done....

what time are you guys planning to show up on monday?

whoops! i meant walk WEST on polk street. sorry about that. i was hammering my post out at kinkos and time was of the essence. :oops:

Student Center West is the set of buildings directly SOUTHWEST of the arrow.

local

Yes, there will be a welcome table starting at 11am just south of the Polk/Wolcott intersection (Right outside the Medical Bookstore). We will be there to tell you where to go and what to do. You can do more things than just the fingerprinting on Monday - white coat fitting at the bookstore, Student IDs (bring a printout of the student schedule detail from UI -integrate to show you are registered for classes), take care of parking if you want to purchase a spot at W2, ask us questions about anything, and go out to dinner on Taylor street with ur classmates and M2 student leaders. We will be all around the Student center to direct you to the various locations and make sure that those who are on campus on Monday get to where they need to go. So basically stop by the welcome table when you arrive! See you then

Frank
M1 orientation planning co-chair

medicomel said:
whoops! i meant walk WEST on polk street. sorry about that. i was hammering my post out at kinkos and time was of the essence. :oops:

medicomel said:
i'm pretty sure it's at the corner of polk/wolcott, at the student center. somebody correct me? i'm not 100%, but i do know that you'll take the pink line to the Polk stop and then walk east until you get to wolcott. from there you can ask around, or somebody more knowledgable can chime in.

welcome to chicago! :)

thanks! also, thanks for the location link sga814. I love google maps. i've been in chicago a week and the business locator option has made my life so much easier.

try the centerstage website as well. it has a business location via the "virtual el navigator" link. it's a nice resource if you travel a lot by train.

centerstage

Chi-towner said:
Thanks for that map. I've never seen a map like that. I was able to go all the way home with it (a 25 min commute), my regular route. I've lived there 28 yrs and never knew what the top of the roof looks like. And I was thinking, too bad they can't get us the U-Passes until the 23rd. I wish they could.

It's a bummer about the U-passes, but I'd recommending investing in a chicago-card for the time being. They're totally worth it, and it'll come in handy when your u-pass isn't working between semesters. For those of you unfamiliar with the CTA, go to http://www.chicago-card.com and check it out. RFID chipped cards which carry a balance (and can automatically renew said balance) so you never have to deal with the fare-card machines or worry if you have cash on you.

I was browsing around on the OSA website and I just read
"What to wear during the week:
Heating and cooling can be uneven in classrooms and meeting rooms so layers of clothing is suggested.
Daytime: professional looking business casual attire with comfortable shoes for walking (especially Tuesday). Short shorts, skimpy tops, beachware or torn/worn grubbies are not appropriate for your first week of professional school"

I hadn't put much thought into it until now, but does this mean wearing a pair of jeans (and maybe some flip flops) would be inappropriate? Those of you who remember orientation from years prior, was everybody wearing "business casual" all week? I don't think I have a weeks worth of business casual... :p

Ombatay said:
Heating and cooling can be uneven in classrooms and meeting rooms so layers of clothing is suggested.
Daytime: professional looking business casual attire with comfortable shoes for walking (especially Tuesday). Short shorts, skimpy tops, beachware or torn/worn grubbies are not appropriate for your first week of professional school"

I hadn't put much thought into it until now, but does this mean wearing a pair of jeans (and maybe some flip flops) would be inappropriate? Those of you who remember orientation from years prior, was everybody wearing "business casual" all week? I don't think I have a weeks worth of business casual... :p

yeah, that's complete BS- one guy (first name begins w/ Don) came in wearing a bathrobe only during finals. So as long as you're not naked or barefoot- you'll be fine.

Basically go for business casual for the first day of orientation. Avoid really tattered jeans (maybe wear khaki pants or something), dont wear really dirty old shoes, but still keep them comfortable, and have a decent shirt (maybe avoid tees with one of the multitudes of sexual inuendo written across the chest). After Tuesday, you will notice that the class will either stick with the business casual for the rest of orientation week or modify to something more comfortable.

And yes, some of the rooms that orientation is hosted in will likely be cold, if that distracts you, perhaps bring some type of layering.

Hope to see everyone tomorrow and definitely tuesday

Ombatay said:

BUMP.

this thread needs some life. happy white coat ceremony day!
where are you guys going to get your patches sewn? i heard an M2 tell us about a dry cleaner near the school but i didn't catch which one specifically.

medicomel said:
BUMP.

this thread needs some life. happy white coat ceremony day!
where are you guys going to get your patches sewn? i heard an M2 tell us about a dry cleaner near the school but i didn't catch which one specifically.
you can do that at home. It will take no longer than a few minutes.

goodboyof19 said:
you can do that at home. It will take no longer than a few minutes.

or go to any local dry cleaners... if they have a sewing machine they can do it. Have a great first day!

I believe the dry cleaners in question is on the corner of ashland and taylor, b/w white hen and md city.

sga814 said:
I believe the dry cleaners in question is on the corner of ashland and taylor, b/w white hen and md city.

thanks guys! i'll have to swing by sometime soon.

Anybody out there??

Could some of you C/O 2010 people let me know how you've liked it at UIC so far and what your typical day is like as an M1 (how long are you in class each day, etc.)? Thanks!

The biggest problem I have with UIC is the amount of time we spend in class. That is, if you go to class. When we have Anatomy, which is not the entire year, but a good portion of it, if you went to every class and lab on Tuesday and Thursday you would be in class from 9:30 until at least 6 with an hour for lunch. MWF would be 9:30 to 12:30 with a class or two or some kind of plenary in the afternoon on occasion. Now, our schedule changes day to day and week to week depending on what classes we are taking. Some weeks are heavier than others. We also have to work with a primary care doctors in the clinic for about 30 hours over the year as well.

Keep in mind, we have a COOP service and so going to class isn't required or even recommended for some classes I go to about half the classes. I like to read the books and be prepared and I have found that some teachers and some classes are better than others. It is really about your style of learning.

Also, I think the changes they have made in our curriculum, which has made all our classes correspond a bit better and has cut out some redundancy, has been great. Apparently, our class is having a much better time of it than previous classes based on feedback from 2009 and 2008 students. Our averages have been a bit higher too. I think that is because they have spread our exams out a little as well.

Overall, I'm really glad I'm here. Our class is amazing and very diverse and there is a lot of student involvement in student organizations such as AMSA and other political/cultural groups. Whatever you are looking for, UIC has it. Unless you want to be spoon fed. We've been told UIC has the hardest first year curriculum and the hardest exams in Chicago. Our pass levels are low and the averages are usually in the 70's. And, trust me, we have plenty of braniacs here. They make the exams similar to the boards to keep us thinking more clinically. It kind of sucks to walk away from a test you studied a lot for and feel as if you did not do very well. But, in the end, I think it will be worth it when boards come around. And, it is H/P/F and the honor level is on a curve so even if you didn't "ace" the exam you can still honor if everyone else thought it was hard too. And, this is usually the case.

UIC is a state school. YOu have to be assertive and proactive and your own best advocate. Administrative tasks can be a little frustrating, and I feel as if I'm constantly organizing and printing, but that is the worst of it. But, thus is life. I know some student who go to every class and every lab and some students who never go to any classes unless there is a lunch talk with free food in between classes. I definitely go those days. And I know students in both groups who are doing very well. So, it is all about what works for you. I know other medical schools with easier exams who are "spoon fed" a bit, and if that is what you want UIC is not your school.

At this point, I feel as if I'm getting a good education. I just feel as if I have to work a little harder to organize it and that the style is a little less straightforward than what you might be used to as an undergrad. Once you get used to it, I think it is actually better and definitely more relevant to actual practice.

If you want to see our actual schedule you can go to the UIC site and go to the OSA page and find a block schedule.

Good luck with your decision. I don't envy your application process. Medical school is the hardest and best thing I've ever decided to do. If you want to PM me feel free. You are asking good questions. This stuff is the kind of thing that really determines your medical school experience.

for you folks living off-campus.....where is a good place to find apartment/condo listings? i don't care where i live as long as i am a block or two away from the blue/pink line or a bus that will take me to campus in 20 minutes or less...