UIC Class of 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
bringing some life back into this thread..............

goodboyof19 said:
yeah, its not a bad neighborhood. If you are here with your family and would want more for your money you may as well stay a little away from the city. Oakpark is a good choice. I know someonewho lives there and he has been commuting with no problems. Oak park has blue line train access. we will get U-pass(unlimited rides pass for students for these trains/buses) that you can use to commute.

check for listings here too http://www.housing.uic.edu/offcampus/

Members don't see this ad.

haha! yeah, really! this thread has been really quiet lately.
i'm gearing up to move next weekend...what about you guys?

medicomel said:
haha! yeah, really! this thread has been really quiet lately.
i'm gearing up to move next weekend...what about you guys?

i got an apartment last week. i am currently trying to promote this item over the internet.

anybody interested? PM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
goodboyof19 said:
i got an apartment last week. i am currently trying to promote this item over the internet.

anybody interested? PM me.

has anyone heard from uic financial aid office. I gave my online MPN but when i called they didnt have it. so i had to fax them my copy. perhaps everybody should check. you need money to start med school!

no more updates regarding orientation either. just one big envelope couple months ago.

goodboyof19 said:
has anyone heard from uic financial aid office. I gave my online MPN but when i called they didnt have it. so i had to fax them my copy. perhaps everybody should check. you need money to start med school!

no more updates regarding orientation either. just one big envelope couple months ago.

Good to know. I did mine online as well, but they haven't updated my status yet. It still says I have unsatisfied requirements, the MPN application. I've sent an email but I guess I should call as well.

kitsy said:
Good to know. I did mine online as well, but they haven't updated my status yet. It still says I have unsatisfied requirements, the MPN application. I've sent an email but I guess I should call as well.

Yeah, def. get that financial aid crap done, cause I didn't... and wondered why I was not getting my financial aid like a month and a half into the year- it cause I didn't sign that stupid mpn thingie....

sga814 said:
Yeah, def. get that financial aid crap done, cause I didn't... and wondered why I was not getting my financial aid like a month and a half into the year- it cause I didn't sign that stupid mpn thingie....

Oh, that sucks. To be honest, I didn't realize I had to fill that thing out until I got my UIN thing and started checking on my status. I can't say I am the best at reading through all the paperwork though.

Speaking of FA money, when do they give you your check? ASAP I hope because my sister/roommate is already bugging me about August rent.

kitsy said:

I just talked to the financial aid advisor and she said that none of the 2006-07 MPNs have been processed yet. They are waiting to receive them from the Direct loan people. She said that we should call back at the end of July to confirm their receipt.

squareDR said:
I just talked to the financial aid advisor and she said that none of the 2006-07 MPNs have been processed yet. They are waiting to receive them from the Direct loan people. She said that we should call back at the end of July to confirm their receipt.

I called today as well and they told me they had my MPN and would be sending me instructions on filling out a Perkins Application in the next week. They also told me we would get our FA money at the end of August.

AWESOME!! Another health questionnaire to fill out. :eek: Wonder why the office of student affairs just can't get the stuff we sent to the admissions office. (for those of you who haven't gotten it yet, expect very general info about orientation and an immunization form from the Office of Student Affairs)

call the admissions office and ask if you need to fill out the immunization form. they told me to disregard it b/c it sent it along with my hepatitis forms a few months ago. admissions forwards their forms to the OSA once you matriculate.

medicomel said:
call the admissions office and ask if you need to fill out the immunization form. they told me to disregard it b/c it sent it along with my hepatitis forms a few months ago. admissions forwards their forms to the OSA once you matriculate.

Procrastination is great, now I can just disregard it! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
"You will also be expected to read The Spirit Catches You and You Fall
Down by Ann Fadiman over the summer. You are responsible for obtaining the book, which is widely available online or in bookstores
."

Has anyone found this book yet?? I need to start looking for it at Borders or Barnes and Noble soon.

BerkeleyMD said:
Down by Ann Fadiman over the summer. You are responsible for obtaining the book, which is widely available online or in bookstores
."

Has anyone found this book yet?? I need to start looking for it at Borders or Barnes and Noble soon.

Amazon has it. Amazon has everything! Wonder how cheesy the book is going to be? :rolleyes:

BerkeleyMD said:
."

It is a very poplular book and easy to find. I got it yesterday and the woman helping me didn't even need to look it up. She knew exactly what I was talking about and where to find it.

I've heard it is a great book. I've also been reading this amazing book about Dr. Paul Farmer, he started PIH (partners in health) in Haiti. I can't recommend this book enough and it deals with differences in culture as well as health care in developing countries. If you have the time, I highly recommend it. Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder. You can find it at any book store as well.

kitsy said:
It is a very poplular book and easy to find. I got it yesterday and the woman helping me didn't even need to look it up. She knew exactly what I was talking about and where to find it.

I've heard it is a great book. I've also been reading this amazing book about Dr. Paul Farmer, he started PIH (partners in health) in Haiti. I can't recommend this book enough and it deals with differences in culture as well as health care in developing countries. If you have the time, I highly recommend it. Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder. You can find it at any book store as well.

Oooohh! I am excited that someone in my class knows and loves Paul Farmer. You and I should talk at orientation. Have you read his "Infections and Inequalities" and "Aids and Accusations". They are books that every doctor-to-be should read if they are or want to be passionate about the state of health care in this world.

squareDR said:
Oooohh! I am excited that someone in my class knows and loves Paul Farmer. You and I should talk at orientation. Have you read his "Infections and Inequalities" and "Aids and Accusations". They are books that every doctor-to-be should read if they are or want to be passionate about the state of health care in this world.

I'm just becoming familiar with him so I haven't read the other books, but I will now. Yeah, I'd love to talk to you about it at orientation. Maybe I'll have read the other books by then. He's so inspiring.

where did you guys get the "must read" info from? was it something in the mail that I missed out on?

goodboyof19 said:
where did you guys get the "must read" info from? was it something in the mail that I missed out on?

I found it on the OSA site, but it was also mentioned in the letter... I totally overlooked it, makes me question my verbal comprehension again!

The site also says that we must be registered and enrolled in our classes by 8/11 (before orientation), has anyone got any info on that?

BerkeleyMD said:
I found it on the OSA site, but it was also mentioned in the letter... I totally overlooked it, makes me question my verbal comprehension again!

The site also says that we must be registered and enrolled in our classes by 8/11 (before orientation), has anyone got any info on that?

I found the classes we are supposed to register for by looking at the curriculum info. I hadn't gotten my immunizations forms in yet so I couldn't register. I think it will be fairly simple though. Make sure you go to the OSA website and follow instructions on how to get your NetID and EnterpriseID. You will need the latter to sign into the on-line registration site. That is all I can remember for now.

squareDR said:
I found the classes we are supposed to register for by looking at the curriculum info. I hadn't gotten my immunizations forms in yet so I couldn't register. I think it will be fairly simple though. Make sure you go to the OSA website and follow instructions on how to get your NetID and EnterpriseID. You will need the latter to sign into the on-line registration site. That is all I can remember for now.

I was able to register for my classes, no problems. Thanks for the heads up. I wasn't aware that we were able to do this already.

kitsy said:
I was able to register for my classes, no problems. Thanks for the heads up. I wasn't aware that we were able to do this already.

I just did the same today too. I sorta wonder why they didn't tell us to do so yet?

hi guys,

i was able to register for 7 out of 8 classes. i don't see the CRN number for Basic Science Student Portfolio (BMS 663 - 1 credit).

so far i have 22 credit hours...anybody else have this problem?

medicomel said:
hi guys,

i was able to register for 7 out of 8 classes. i don't see the CRN number for Basic Science Student Portfolio (BMS 663 - 1 credit).

Yes. I tried to search for it but it "couldn't find the class". I figure that the whole point of the early registration is to confirm our intention of matriculating at UIC. Any additions can be made later.

yeah, i got an email from the registrar saying they don't have a course number yet. they'll update us via the listserve when it becomes available. thanks for replying, though! i'm just glad that part is done. :thumbup:

medicomel said:
hi guys,

Same here, I only enrolled in 22 credits.

medicomel said:

Is this what everyone is doing?

This new form seems way more detailed and involved that the form we sent to admissions.

BerkeleyMD said:
Is this what everyone is doing?

This new form seems way more detailed and involved that the form we sent to admissions.

I just filled the form out myself and copied the forms I sent to admissions as medical verification of the info. I was not about to bother my doctor again! Let them harass me again if they need something else :p

squareDR said:
I just filled the form out myself and copied the forms I sent to admissions as medical verification of the info. I was not about to bother my doctor again! Let them harass me again if they need something else :p

We must all think the same... because I was probably going to do this anyways. I may have to get that yearly Tb skin test tho..

Thanks!

BerkeleyMD said:
We must all think the same... because I was probably going to do this anyways. I may have to get that yearly Tb skin test tho..

Thanks!

last time I went to see the doctor to get the form signed, he fricking charged me said my insurance doesnt cover this kind of visit. i definitely do not want to go back for this.

goodboyof19 said:
last time I went to see the doctor to get the form signed, he fricking charged me said my insurance doesnt cover this kind of visit. i definitely do not want to go back for this.

I coerced a nurse into signing it off for me after getting my second HBV vaccination. It was for free too! I'll give it another shot (no pun intended) tomorrow and get this new one signed off too. If not, I'll just fill it out myself and attach a copy of the old one from a month ago.

As for your doc charging you, that sucks. I would have tried to hustle him by bringing up how much our student loans are for med school and the importance of charity in medicine... But hey, I would try to charge my patients if I knew they would pay up...

BerkeleyMD said:
I coerced a nurse into signing it off for me after getting my second HBV vaccination. It was for free too! I'll give it another shot (no pun intended) tomorrow and get this new one signed off too. If not, I'll just fill it out myself and attach a copy of the old one from a month ago.

As for your doc charging you, that sucks. I would have tried to hustle him by bringing up how much our student loans are for med school and the importance of charity in medicine... But hey, I would try to charge my patients if I knew they would pay up...

although he initially charged me, he asked his secretary to void the bill off when I talked to him about this. apparently he doesnt do the billing.

anyways i guess i will have to look closer into this form to see if i can fill it out myself.

yeah- you think you're done w/vaccinations and forms/verifications/blood/urine/tb tests... there'll be more come M2 year..

also make sure you know when your last tetanus booster was

sga814 said:
yeah- you think you're done w/vaccinations and forms/verifications/blood/urine/tb tests... there'll be more come M2 year..

also make sure you know when your last tetanus booster was

I originally got most of these immunizations from the Public Health Dept. of King County (seattle) before I went to India and was able to just photocopy the form and send it in to Admissions. For the Hep B stuff I just dropped it off at my PCP's office to have her sign off on it and she sent it in for me. She would have charged me to see her in person too. If I have time before I leave here, I will probably try to get the Tetanus updated, a new TB skin test, a Hep B titer (just for my own peace of mind) and the Hep C test. Most of that stuff you can get done at Public Health Clinics for free. At least, in Seattle. I'm not sure how it is in Chicago, but I'm guessing it is similar. I know Planned Parenthood will do the Hep C test for either very little or nothing.

I'm assuming that anything we miss with both registration and the immunizations will be made very clear to us during orientation, and we still have some time before we start classes. Anyone on this site is probably a bit ahead of the game anyway.

I can't wait to meet you guys. I have a feeling we will be the ones in the front row.

Just to cement my status as an overeager nerd, I just wanted to let you guys know that the AAMC survey for matriculating students is now available at

http://www.aamc.org/msq

I think that is the final listing on the "Tasks before you arrive" checklist on the OSA website.

I am pretending that all this eagerness is because I am ready to get started with this next stage of my life and not because I am a total loser. :laugh:

squareDR said:
Just to cement my status as an overeager nerd, I just wanted to let you guys know that the AAMC survey for matriculating students is now available at

http://www.aamc.org/msq

I think that is the final listing on the "Tasks before you arrive" checklist on the OSA website.

I am pretending that all this eagerness is because I am ready to get started with this next stage of my life and not because I am a total loser. :laugh:

it's nice to see enthusiasm, squareDR. i'm excited to get rolling with this too.

medicomel said:
it's nice to see enthusiasm, squareDR. i'm excited to get rolling with this too.

ditto

So we're trying to cut a lot of the "crap" out this year. Activities will include a knitting workshop, a parade, and a special sock puppet theater presentation of "Grey's Anatomy - Code Black". Bring your party hats.

sga814 said:
orientation is:

a little lame getting to know you crap
a lot of sitting through boring crap
a lot of waking up in the morning for boring crap

some fun activities such as whirly ball, 2nd city, etc

but most importantly- a lot of drinking afterwards... take advantage of the opportunity

and then........ you start classes muhahahahah :laugh:
(unfortunately)

kitsy said:
I originally got most of these immunizations from the Public Health Dept. of King County (seattle) before I went to India and was able to just photocopy the form and send it in to Admissions. For the Hep B stuff I just dropped it off at my PCP's office to have her sign off on it and she sent it in for me. She would have charged me to see her in person too. If I have time before I leave here, I will probably try to get the Tetanus updated, a new TB skin test, a Hep B titer (just for my own peace of mind) and the Hep C test. Most of that stuff you can get done at Public Health Clinics for free. At least, in Seattle. I'm not sure how it is in Chicago, but I'm guessing it is similar. I know Planned Parenthood will do the Hep C test for either very little or nothing.

I'm assuming that anything we miss with both registration and the immunizations will be made very clear to us during orientation, and we still have some time before we start classes. Anyone on this site is probably a bit ahead of the game anyway.

I can't wait to meet you guys. I have a feeling we will be the ones in the front row.

WTF. I just got my first Hep B shot, from UIC's own Family Med Center, and after gasping and whining to them to no avail, they charged me $60 and said it's $60 for each and every one of the 3 shots. The nurse told me that next year, titers are mandatory and have been only recently negotiated down to like $200-$300. Maybe I can find round-trip airfare to Seattle for cheaper than what UIC wants to charge me...

Mediculous said:
WTF. I just got my first Hep B shot, from UIC's own Family Med Center, and after gasping and whining to them to no avail, they charged me $60 and said it's $60 for each and every one of the 3 shots. The nurse told me that next year, titers are mandatory and have been only recently negotiated down to like $200-$300. Maybe I can find round-trip airfare to Seattle for cheaper than what UIC wants to charge me...
What!? That's harsh. Wow, guess I'd better get my titer while I'm here. Not like I have anything else to do :laugh:

Although, if it makes you feel better, I'll be paying Out of State this year. Trade ya.

Mediculous said:

There aren't any free clinics out there in the Chicago area to get titers done?

BerkeleyMD said:
There aren't any free clinics out there in the Chicago area to get titers done?

if you have CampusCare- you may be able to get those things for free.. then again I may be speculating, call to find out.

sga814 said:
if you have CampusCare- you may be able to get those things for free.. then again I may be speculating, call to find out.

Nope, you get charged $60 /shot even with Campus Care

As for that "Spirit Catching you and u die" book, It is another one of those books that villifies doctors. Typical of UIC: last year we had a crappier book that said doctors are evil b/c they make mistakes.

aragonh said:
Nope, you get charged $60 /shot even with Campus Care

As for that "Spirit Catching you and u die" book, It is another one of those books that villifies doctors. Typical of UIC: last year we had a crappier book that said doctors are evil b/c they make mistakes.

Great... :thumbdown:

Thanks for the heads up tho.

aragonh said:
"Spirit Catching you and u die" book, It is another one of those books that villifies doctors. Typical of UIC: last year we had a crappier book that said doctors are evil b/c they make mistakes.

Ummm... from what I read of the description, the parents are not looked upon favorably either. Besides, do we want to start med school after reading a book about how doctors are Gods and never make mistakes?

squareDR said:
Ummm... from what I read of the description, the parents are not looked upon favorably either. Besides, do we want to start med school after reading a book about how doctors are Gods and never make mistakes?

ok- don't spread the word- but like you really don't have to read the book(s)- I personally was not sure, so I decided- eh- this is med school not english class, i'll just read a summary of it- worked out fine :cool: . think about it - they can't fail you in "orientation reading"... basically some idiot or two in your group will have actually read the book- and if you really wanna add to the "complete BS discussion", then talk about stuff the last person said and it'll make it seem like you read the book (unless you read for fun- then you're no idiot, good for you- have a cookie). if you really want summer reading- crack open a netter's and look through the pwetty pictures.. perhaps memorize which pages go with which sections- it will come in handy.

as for "learning compassion by reading and discussing", I personally think that's a load of crap- cause you'll learn it by working with patients and attendings (and hopefully your LPC). basically- this summer reading BS is something to give whomever thought of it (could it be the ECM department?? :eek: ) another reason for getting paid. So go do something fun with the weeks of summer youhave left!!!

(btw, I am telling you all this b/c it's something I wish I had known)

sga814 said:
unless you read for fun- then you're no idiot, good for you- have a cookie.
Nice! I like some condescension with my morning cup of coffee. :oops:
Thanks for the tip though.

:love:
squareDR said:
sga814 said:
unless you read for fun- then you're no idiot, good for you- have a cookie.
Nice! I like some condescension with my morning cup of coffee. :oops:
Thanks for the tip though.

I have a coworker in my lab, she's Vietnamese/Chinese, who said she loved this book and I've heard other great things about it too. I've also studied Chinese Medicine and dealt with a few, though not most, ignorant Western md's who could use a little lesson in cultural sensitivity so....... I'll probably read it if it keeps my attention. I'm not going to stress about it, but It seems like a good read anyway.

sga814-you're making me cookies right? chocolate chip please. :cool:

I catch your drift though. We have bigger fish to fry I'm guessing. So, I'll reserve my anxiety for the truelly deserving stuff....... like selling all my personal belongings, leaving my really great boyfriend, moving cross country, taking a gazillion dollars out in loans, and oh yeah, starting medical school. Not to mention living with my sister.

By the way, she doesn't know yet, but we are having a big party at our place in River North before school starts.

Not so worried about the book........... kinda worried about everything else.

For those of you holding on to hope about the campus transfers... I guess things are still moving on that front as I was called recently to switch to Chicago! =) =) =)

That being said, I now have to scramble to find housing for now. Where is everybody living this year, any suggestions? I'm craigslisting all over Tri-Taylor/ West Loop and writing places down to check out. Has anybody seen a place called "Circle Park" apartments? I'm more curious in where NOT to live than where to live :D