UIC Class of 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ombatay said:
For those of you holding on to hope about the campus transfers... I guess things are still moving on that front as I was called recently to switch to Chicago! =) =) =)

That being said, I now have to scramble to find housing for now. Where is everybody living this year, any suggestions? I'm craigslisting all over Tri-Taylor/ West Loop and writing places down to check out. Has anybody seen a place called "Circle Park" apartments? I'm more curious in where NOT to live than where to live :D

:laugh: I think the list of places not to live will be a whole lot longer..

Congrats on the campus switch!

I checked out Circle Park apts and it doesn't seem too great (at least for vibrant, ambitious MS1's). A lot of old (really old, wheelchairs and all) people with a security guy that signs you in and out. Its like a senior citizen place or something, but they will rent to you. The staff was also rude, which was the final straw for us. Check it out and you'll know what I mean.

Try University Village (East of Ashland and West of Racine between Taylor and Harrison). My wife and I got a place there and it seems super nice. We only had 4 days to decide which area (back in april during the second look day), but it seems to be a safe, up-beat neighborhood.

Always use google earth to check out neighborhoods. Safe areas have lots of trees and look clean. The not so nice areas seem brown and commericalized.

Having never lived in the area, my advice is this:

1. Avoid anything around Western Ave.
2. Avoid anything south of Roosevelt Ave.
3. WestHaven Park is NOT as nice as it seems on-line.
4. Don't live on the south side of the tracks.
5. Check out the ChicagoReader for apartments online.
6. There are tons of real estate brokers in University Village that help you find apartments for free.
7. There is also the UIC site for off-campus housing.
8. Everyone seems to be bashing MD city Apts, I dunno, I liked their parking structure (no shoveling of snow off the car before going out).

I signed for my apartment sight unseen, but I have a good impression of the over-all area (Bishop and Polk) so I feel it should be safe. But if you are from the Chicago area, then you could tell which neighborhood are safe and which are not by going there in person.

Good Luck!!

Members don't see this ad.

Ombatay said:
For those of you holding on to hope about the campus transfers... I guess things are still moving on that front as I was called recently to switch to Chicago! =) =) =)

That being said, I now have to scramble to find housing for now. Where is everybody living this year, any suggestions? I'm craigslisting all over Tri-Taylor/ West Loop and writing places down to check out. Has anybody seen a place called "Circle Park" apartments? I'm more curious in where NOT to live than where to live :D

If you want to live near school I think the best bet is university village. I wasn't to crazy about the neighborhood south of rooselvelt but that was just my opinion. You can check out the UIC website but have a wide range of options when looking. I saw an apartment from a lady that had posted an add there and the apartment made me want to jump off the sears tower. But around taylor and loomis has a bunch of real estate companies. I found my apartment through galucci realty right on loomis and taylor so you can start there. They found me an apartment right on loomis and taylor right next to the little park and a few blocks away from the school. Good luck finding an apartment.

busthwt said:
If you want to live near school I think the best bet is university village. I wasn't to crazy about the neighborhood south of rooselvelt but that was just my opinion. You can check out the UIC website but have a wide range of options when looking. I saw an apartment from a lady that had posted an add there and the apartment made me want to jump off the sears tower. But around taylor and loomis has a bunch of real estate companies. I found my apartment through galucci realty right on loomis and taylor so you can start there. They found me an apartment right on loomis and taylor right next to the little park and a few blocks away from the school. Good luck finding an apartment.

I'm inclined to want to live near school, but am considering Wicker Park/Bucktown. Anybody live up there and can tell me how long the commute is via the El?

Members don't see this ad :)
it takes about 20-30 minutes if you can catch the 54/Cermak blue line train to Polk. or, you can take the bus (Ashland 9 or Ashland Express X9) straight down to the medical school in about the same time. there's a caveat, however, with the blue line. i'm not an expert yet with the schedule because of the advent of the Pink line.

check out www.yourcta.com

all in all, it's a nice distance from the medical school, and a great neighborhood. unfortunately, if you look at the news today you'll see that that same blue line was evacuated because of a train derailment, so i'm kind of freaked out about it.

More questions:

Does anybody know off-hand how much they allot us via our financial aid to spend on rent per month? I thought I remembered someone saying something about 900 for rent and bills/month, but that seems really low. Now if only I could find my financial aid sheet.

I was also told that the estimated amount I was to be budgeted was going to increase due to a higher cost of living in Chicago. I was already budgeted at 42,000$ for the year, can anybody from Chicago confirm that its higher than 42k?

Ombatay said:
More questions:

Does anybody know off-hand how much they allot us via our financial aid to spend on rent per month? I thought I remembered someone saying something about 900 for rent and bills/month, but that seems really low. Now if only I could find my financial aid sheet.

I was also told that the estimated amount I was to be budgeted was going to increase due to a higher cost of living in Chicago. I was already budgeted at 42,000$ for the year, can anybody from Chicago confirm that its higher than 42k?

I was also budgeted at 42,000 but that is based on a 600 dollars a month on rent, which is next to impossible to find in chicago. So the school can give a budget increase for rent up to 950 for rent. The amount allotted to us is based on a 9 month school year. Subtracting tuition and stuff that leaves us with almost 14 thousand for rent, food, utilities and personal expenses. I'm doubting that that is not enough.

hey guys- tip for upcoming year-

don't argue online via the class listserv, it gets pretty annoying eventually... just do your arguing here :D

oh and btw- let me tell you about our "current rage"-

whether or not there should be (like there currently are) "academic assistance" (i.e. tutoring) programs available "only" to minority students?

ready set, go!

HI, guys,
after chilling a long time, I was finally struck awake by the problem of out-of-state tuition. Do anyone know about how to apply the residency for Illionis? I asked the financial aid office before and they said that one has to live at Illionis for at least one year besides the purpose of receiving education. I am thinking what are the possibilities of having a job while being in medical school. RA? TA? Is it possible?
Anyone heard of the case of successfully getting residency after one year from our med school? For the loans, I have already got one direct loan, but wondering why school can't offer me the Stafford loan (however, I know that's on the need-base) Anyways, suggestions are welcome!

I am still too excited about starting med school and meeting my fellow classmates. I have absolutely no interest in debating this or any other topic that can never be adequately addressed in a two dimensional medium like the internet (paticularly in a positive thread like this one).

Why don't you tell us what you second years have planned for our first evening of orientation instead. :thumbup:

flyingblue said:
HI, guys,
after chilling a long time, I was finally struck awake by the problem of out-of-state tuition. Do anyone know about how to apply the residency for Illionis? I asked the financial aid office before and they said that one has to live at Illionis for at least one year besides the purpose of receiving education. I am thinking what are the possibilities of having a job while being in medical school. RA? TA? Is it possible?
Anyone heard of the case of successfully getting residency after one year from our med school? For the loans, I have already got one direct loan, but wondering why school can't offer me the Stafford loan (however, I know that's on the need-base) Anyways, suggestions are welcome!

the best way to get around this to have your parent or spouse get a job in IL. The first payroll you receive from your parent/spouse is enough to get you in state tuition. you need to file a petition during the first two weeks(?) to be considered resident for that semester. once you are a resident your status will never again change :)

goodboyof19 said:
the best way to get around this to have your parent or spouse get a job in IL. The first payroll you receive from your parent/spouse is enough to get you in state tuition. you need to file a petition during the first two weeks(?) to be considered resident for that semester. once you are a resident your status will never again change :)

how did you find this out? who was abole to tell you? don't they want you to go through the whole process of filing taxes and changing drivers licenses? please do tell...:-(

I went to the website where they talk about the requirements for residency status, but it seemed really involved. unless as you said, there really is another way.

md2010??? said:
how did you find this out? who was abole to tell you? don't they want you to go through the whole process of filing taxes and changing drivers licenses? please do tell...:-(

I went to the website where they talk about the requirements for residency status, but it seemed really involved. unless as you said, there really is another way.

I was pretty discouraged too. Initially I was told I could get in-state because my family lives in IL and has lived there and I still get some bills at my parents house. However, I was then told I had to fill out a petition and meet a set of requirements that i dont' think I meet. I'm hoping I will qualify next year though. It seemed pretty confusing. I'm sure they don't want to make it easy to do. I may have to make another call.

md2010??? said:

i know this from first hand experience. I underwent the process for my u-grad at UIC.
you can always get a drivers license from IL. You will need 2 postmarked envelopes sent to an IL address. about the taxes, the payroll info will suffice as a "will" file state taxes status.

try the petition. contact person is Neema Amatya.

Members don't see this ad :)
A couple questions about Chicago.....

I currently have T-Mobile as my cell phone service provider, but I'm at a place where I could switch. I'm fine with the service I'm currently getting, but I'm wondering about reception/dropped calls in Chicago. I don't have a problem in Seattle, but I don't know how it will be in Chicago. Anyone use T-Mobile?

Also, anyone have animals and know of a good Vet? I have a 7yo Pitbull and I'm pretty particular about vets due to his breed and cause I'm just kind of neurotic about him. We don't have to worry about heartworm in Seattle, but I will have to deal with that in Chicago so i'm going to have to see a vet relatively soon when I get to town.

Thanks.......

Pitbull in Chicago? Good luck. I think they are going to ban them from the city, like the banned Foie Grai.
There is a vet by Division and Wells, on Wells.
Also - just a few blocks north on Wells is "The Furry Beastro" - best place for special dog cookies, grooming, etc!!

Sprint, Sprint, Sprint.

From there, moving back there for fellowship - Kept Sprint even when in Ann Arbor
Great in Chicago. Work em - for better minutes. Sell them, like they sell us Doctor types.

PS - Alum U IL ; It's the Abraham Lincoln College of Medicine. Not really UIC. Great for board prep, and make sure you rotate Surgery at Cook, if you want to be a surgeon.
Weiner Circle on Clark, after 2am.
Portillos has better beefs than Al's.
Gibson's for steak.
Mia Francesca a must.
Intelligensia coffee: you'll never drink Starbucks or any "Seattle" coffee originator again!!!
kitsy said:
A couple questions about Chicago.....

I currently have T-Mobile as my cell phone service provider, but I'm at a place where I could switch. I'm fine with the service I'm currently getting, but I'm wondering about reception/dropped calls in Chicago. I don't have a problem in Seattle, but I don't know how it will be in Chicago. Anyone use T-Mobile?

Also, anyone have animals and know of a good Vet? I have a 7yo Pitbull and I'm pretty particular about vets due to his breed and cause I'm just kind of neurotic about him. We don't have to worry about heartworm in Seattle, but I will have to deal with that in Chicago so i'm going to have to see a vet relatively soon when I get to town.

Thanks.......

Jocomama said:
Pitbull in Chicago? Good luck. I think they are going to ban them from the city, like the banned Foie Grai.
Intelligensia coffee: you'll never drink Starbucks or any "Seattle" coffee originator again!!!

Yeah, they've been saying that everywhere. That just means they won't adopt them out or they may charge and extra fee for aggressive breeds. I'm not worried. there are ways around it.

Intelligensia was actually co-started by the owner of Caffe Vita from Seattle. They had a falling out though when Intelligensia tried to enter the market in Vancouver - competing with Vita. Not to mention about five other awesome smaller companies here rock. I'll miss the coffee here for sure. I've been a barista here in Seattle for years. Intelligensia is the only good coffee I've been able to find in Chicago.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I'll be sure to keep it in mind.

Jocomama said:
There is a vet by Division and Wells, on Wells.
Also - just a few blocks north on Wells is "The Furry Beastro" - best place for special dog cookies, grooming, etc!!

Sprint, Sprint, Sprint.

From there, moving back there for fellowship - Kept Sprint even when in Ann Arbor
Great in Chicago. Work em - for better minutes. Sell them, like they sell us Doctor types.

PS - Alum U IL ; It's the Abraham Lincoln College of Medicine. Not really UIC. Great for board prep, and make sure you rotate Surgery at Cook, if you want to be a surgeon.
Weiner Circle on Clark, after 2am.
Portillos has better beefs than Al's.
Gibson's for steak.
Mia Francesca a must.

I'm inclined to disagree a bit on sprint. I don't have any long term experience, but I've noticed on more than one occasion that I drop a lot of calls on the west campus. As far as the general area, until recently the service was very poor. Notoriously poor in chicago, class-action settlements were talked about or something like that. It has, however, improved dramatically, and I have very few problems anywhere else. U.S. Cellular is supposed to have great reception in the city. This is not to say that I'm giving up on sprint yet...

Ombatay said:
I'm inclined to disagree a bit on sprint. I don't have any long term experience, but I've noticed on more than one occasion that I drop a lot of calls on the west campus. As far as the general area, until recently the service was very poor. Notoriously poor in chicago, class-action settlements were talked about or something like that. It has, however, improved dramatically, and I have very few problems anywhere else. U.S. Cellular is supposed to have great reception in the city. This is not to say that I'm giving up on sprint yet...

west campus has a bad reputation for cell phone reception. ive had sprint as well as t-mobile(current) experiences and both drop calls especially near the intersaection of paulina and taylor(out patient care center). COM is a brick structure so you will get less signal anyway. i had a lot lot of dropped call from sprint so i switched to t-mobile.another good thing about t-mobile is that in case i break my phone i can use the sim card in a new phone(no contracts if purchased on ebay/amazon) unlike sprint where i would have to bbuy a new phone, activate it for 35 bucks and pay 200 early termination fees and sign a 2 year contract again.good luck

goodboyof19 said:
west campus has a bad reputation for cell phone reception. ive had sprint as well as t-mobile(current) experiences and both drop calls especially near the intersaection of paulina and taylor(out patient care center). COM is a brick structure so you will get less signal anyway. i had a lot lot of dropped call from sprint so i switched to t-mobile.another good thing about t-mobile is that in case i break my phone i can use the sim card in a new phone(no contracts if purchased on ebay/amazon) unlike sprint where i would have to bbuy a new phone, activate it for 35 bucks and pay 200 early termination fees and sign a 2 year contract again.good luck
Thanks, I guess I'll just stay with T-Mobile for now.

When are all the out of staters moving to chicago?? I'm moving up there on august 7th, what about everyone else?

busthwt said:
When are all the out of staters moving to chicago?? I'm moving up there on august 7th, what about everyone else?

I'm moving on the 6th (flying out from cali on the 5th for a redeye). I have to pick up my car, have it smogged, get a license, set-up insurance, get furniture, food... I just hope a week is enough. :scared:

Anyone know how long the days are during orientation?

i was told that they can end as early as noon if you're caught up on the administrative stuff, and can go to about 3pm. if you're not up to speed on your moving in, don't worry. just skip the optional nightly activities. you'll maintain your sanity.

BerkeleyMD said:
I have to pick up my car, have it smogged, get a license, set-up insurance, get furniture, food... I just hope a week is enough. :scared:

Is your registration expiring in Aug? Why don't you just stay with the CA registration until you need another smog check there. You are not obligated to register your car in IL immediately, or at all, if your insurance doesn't care. Just make sure you get a city sticker. As long as you have that, you're golden.

busthwt said:

I'm driving from Seattle and I'll be in Chicago by the 5th (if I don't break down somewhere in Montana)

squareDR said:
Is your registration expiring in Aug? Why don't you just stay with the CA registration until you need another smog check there. You are not obligated to register your car in IL immediately, or at all, if your insurance doesn't care. Just make sure you get a city sticker. As long as you have that, you're golden.

I think its due for smog in CA around September, so its better to get it going sooner rather than later. Stupid thing is probably due for some new catyltic converters soon too. Hopefully it passes with no trouble.

Whats the city sticker?

BerkeleyMD said:
Whats the city sticker?

Just another reason to feed the insatiable appetite of the government, of course. If you live and park in the city, you are require to display the sticker on your windshield or you get a ticket. When you go purchase it, make sure to take a copy of your lease with you to prove that you moved here recently. Otherwise, you have to pay a 130 bucks instead of the regular 75. Here is the link where you can get more info:
http://www.chicityclerk.com/licenses/citystickers.html

hmm i remember during 2nd look they said that they got rid of the nutrition class...and went on about how our class hours were reduced.
why now do we have nutrition again?? did they change the new curriculum back to the old one??

rubberduckmd said:
hmm i remember during 2nd look they said that they got rid of the nutrition class...and went on about how our class hours were reduced.
why now do we have nutrition again?? did they change the new curriculum back to the old one??

Yeah, I coulda' swore they said they would integrate nutrition into physio and biochem.

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

and what about anatomy starting later?

medicomel said:
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

and what about anatomy starting later?

yeah, and I also didn't see a spring break programmed anywhere :-(
i downloaded the M1 block schedule, and spring semester was all filled in with classes.

i wouldn't mind finishing a week later in may, if that meant having a little breathing room in the middle of the spring semester...

but overall, i'm excited about starting UIC!!

md2010??? said:
yeah, and I also didn't see a spring break programmed anywhere :-(
i downloaded the M1 block schedule, and spring semester was all filled in with classes.

i wouldn't mind finishing a week later in may, if that meant having a little breathing room in the middle of the spring semester...

but overall, i'm excited about starting UIC!!

I was also looking at the schedule and it seems like we have no spring break. That's gonna be tough, but look in the brightside... when everyone is starting their last block of classes we'll be done in the middle of May.

Where are you guys seeing the schedule with no spring break. On the UGME academic calendar, it is listed. Is that the wrong schedule? Also, could it be that they simply haven't worked in any changes in class schedule with the registrar's office. It may still be that nutrition is not a separate class etc., no?

Fall Semester 2006

August 28, M Instruction begins.
September 4, M Labor Day holiday. No classes.
September 8, F Last day to complete late registration. Last day to add/drop
October 6, F Last day to withdraw from a course(s)
November 23–24, Th–F Thanksgiving holiday. No classes.
December 8, F Instruction ends.
December 11-15, M-F Final examinations.

Spring Semester 2007

January 15, M Martin Luther King, Jr., Day. No classes.
January 16, Tu Instruction begins.
January 26, F Last day to complete late registration. Last day to add/drop
February 23, F Last day to withdraw from a course(s)
March 26-30, M–F Spring vacation. No classes.
May 4, F Instruction ends.
May 7-11, M-F Final examinations.

squareDR said:
Where are you guys seeing the schedule with no spring break. On the UGME academic calendar, it is listed. Is that the wrong schedule? Also, could it be that they simply haven't worked in any changes in class schedule with the registrar's office. It may still be that nutrition is not a separate class etc., no?

Fall Semester 2006

Spring Semester 2007

Hey check here and see for yourself. http://www.uic.edu/depts/mcam/ugme/dates/index.shtml

squareDR said:

Fall Semester 2006

Spring Semester 2007

That may be a general academic calendar for UIC as a whole... if you go here and then go to the appropriate pdf's you'll see classes scheduled for mar 26-30th. Also classes start on the 21st for us, by the 28th we're already on lecture 11 in biochem (and we have a test the following Tuesday!)

Good to know. I already bought plane tickets for my winter break based on the other calendar. Luckily, the dates still work out. Phew!!

squareDR said:

Fall Semester 2006

Spring Semester 2007

looks like spring semeste starts on Jan 8 not 16th. SO that means only 3 weeks break :-(

goodboyof19 said:
looks like spring semeste starts on Jan 8 not 16th. SO that means only 3 weeks break :-(

Hi there,
just wanted to confirm what the OSA website said: the official part of orientation starts August 15th, right? and there's some optional social event on the night of the 14th, but otherwise nothing during the day??

I'm just about to buy my plane ticket, just wanted to know if there was anything going on during the day of 8/14????

On the bright side, we get to finish school pretty early in May. On the $h!tty side, I can't go on vacation with my parents during winter break. But such is life :)

that's right...orientation proper starts on Tuesday, August 15. susan told me that over the phone when i called to change my address.

i'm not too sad about having 3 wks for winter break. i'll be grateful for the winter vacation, for sure, but i'm the type of person who gets bored and depressed when i'm not stressed out for one reason or another. sick, huh?

medicomel said:
that's right...orientation proper starts on Tuesday, August 15. susan told me that over the phone when i called to change my address.

i'm not too sad about having 3 wks for winter break. i'll be grateful for the winter vacation, for sure, but i'm the type of person who gets bored and depressed when i'm not stressed out for one reason or another. sick, huh?

Don't worry about it your not the only one, I'm the same way. But anyways 3 weeks is not to bad, my friend at einstein only has about a week and a half for break.

busthwt said:

Hey Guys,

I am an incoming M2... welcome to you all to UIC! You are going to love it ;) Anyway, do not use the calander that was previously posted (saying that the start date is August 28). That refers to the undergrads. Use the block schedule to map out the start and the final exams and such. We start classes a week before the undergrads on August 21. Finals end on December 18.

Spring semester will start on Jan 8 and end on May 11.

Cant wait to start meeting you guys!

busthwt said:

Hey Guys,

I am an incoming M2... welcome to you all to UIC! You are going to love it ;) Anyway, do not use the calander that was previously posted (saying that the start date is August 28). That refers to the undergrads. Use the block schedule to map out the start and the final exams and such. We start classes a week before the undergrads on August 21. Finals end on December 18.

Spring semester will start on Jan 8 and end on May 11.

and we do not have a spring break this year... it will all be explained when you get here. We get something like 5 days with no classes after spring exams instead of the typical 9... no official break though :(

Cant wait to start meeting you guys!

I was looking at the UIC calendar (MI Live Block calendar) and it appears that Gross Anatomy doesn't start till Sept 30 or so. Plus, I don't see Nutrition as a separate class. So the changes must be going into effect after all.

See title.

my mantra for med school.

Nutrition, no nutrition. Anatomy early v. later. No spring break (ok that kind of sucks) but, we don't get a choice at this point right?

kitsy said:
See title.

my mantra for med school.

Nutrition, no nutrition. Anatomy early v. later. No spring break (ok that kind of sucks) but, we don't get a choice at this point right?

That is so true... I just hope I don't have to join the UIC COM summer school group on facebook.. :laugh:

BerkeleyMD said:
That is so true... I just hope I don't have to join the UIC COM summer school group on facebook.. :laugh:

Orientation schedule is up.................looks pretty much the same as last year's orientation.

soumdoc said:
Orientation schedule is up.................looks pretty much the same as last year's orientation.

boat ride, sox game, whirlyball. this is going to be fun!!(looking only at the brighter side of the orientation)

nothing planned for Friday. would def like to get that day off.

is anyone done reading the book and would likt to sell it to me? send me a pm please. thanks

goodboyof19 said:
boat ride, sox game, whirlyball. this is going to be fun!!(looking only at the brighter side of the orientation)

nothing planned for Friday. would def like to get that day off.

Yeah, everything except the sox game. probably only thing they could get tickets to. :p Anybody wishing to boycott the sox game and come with me to a bar around wrigley that night and have a few let me know. :D

Ombatay said:
Yeah, everything except the sox game. probably only thing they could get tickets to. :p Anybody wishing to boycott the sox game and come with me to a bar around wrigley that night and have a few let me know. :D
your avatar reminds me of the decal we got during second look. How many of us have actually put the green "UIC COllege of Med" decal on their car?
Dont be embarassed, I have :)

goodboyof19 said:
your avatar reminds me of the decal we got during second look. How many of us have actually put the green "UIC COllege of Med" decal on their car?
Dont be embarassed, I have :)

Man, I'm rockin the UIC COM decal.. even tho it looks a little too big. You figure it took us soo many years to get that darn thing!