UIC Class of 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ha! i've got you guys beat. i don't have a car, so i've got it hanging vertically in my room, kinda like a pennant. and darn proud of it, too. :D

oh, and today i marked the exams on my calendar, just so i can get an idea of what life will be like. luckily we'll have labor day off as an extra day to study before our first exam...biochem. :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Ombatay said:
Yeah, everything except the sox game. probably only thing they could get tickets to. :p Anybody wishing to boycott the sox game and come with me to a bar around wrigley that night and have a few let me know. :D

Hey I sent my RSVP for the sox game, but your proposal is an even better idea.

Ombatay said:
Anybody wishing to boycott the sox game and come with me to a bar around wrigley that night and have a few let me know. :D

i guess thats the only thing cubbies can do to forget this season. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
medicomel said:
i marked the exams on my calendar, just so i can get an idea of what life will be like. luckily we'll have labor day off as an extra day to study before our first exam...biochem. :eek:

good idea, that first exam is comin up. at least its biochem and not an anatomy lab practical.

goodboyof19 said:
your avatar reminds me of the decal we got during second look. How many of us have actually put the green "UIC COllege of Med" decal on their car?
Dont be embarassed, I have :)

Oh It's definitely up there. Although I spent an embarassingly long amount of time debating whether it should go above or below my undergrad sticker. Above because I'm more proud of it, but below because its not as wide as the undergrad sticker and looks better that way...what to do what to do

BerkeleyMD said:
good idea, that first exam is comin up. at least its biochem and not an anatomy lab practical.

i hate it when they schedule exams right after the days off. what the hell, you need thst time off to enjoy, NOT study. I wonder how many of us have been cracking them organic chem books open as we speak of?

s2kfan1 said:
i guess thats the only thing cubbies can do to forget this season. :laugh:

Hey Everyone.

First, I would like to congratulate you all on your admission to UIC-COM! My name is Frank, I am an M2 here at UIC and am one of four other M2 students who have been working as co-chairs on the orientation committee this summer. We have been working all summer to plan an orientation that will be as exciting and enjoyable as possible for you all (including cutting it down by an entire day, for your sanity and ours). With that said, I noticed your forum and wanted to offer myself up for any and all questions you might have regarding orientation and the first weeks of classes. I may not be able to answer everything but will do what I can.

We are continuing to finalize a set of later-evening bar/club social events to take place after the boat, sox, whirly, and the unofficial start on Monday. I encourage you all to come out monday Aug 14th. Take care of some adminstrative tasks early on (id photos, parking etc) and then join us for dinner and an evening out. Keep looking forward to celebrating the start of a great four years with your new classmates

See you in August. PM me with any questions/comments

frankums said:
Hey Everyone.

First, I would like to congratulate you all on your admission to UIC-COM! My name is Frank, I am an M2 here at UIC and am one of four other M2 students who have been working as co-chairs on the orientation committee this summer. We have been working all summer to plan an orientation that will be as exciting and enjoyable as possible for you all (including cutting it down by an entire day, for your sanity and ours). With that said, I noticed your forum and wanted to offer myself up for any and all questions you might have regarding orientation and the first weeks of classes. I may not be able to answer everything but will do what I can.

We are continuing to finalize a set of later-evening bar/club social events to take place after the boat, sox, whirly, and the unofficial start on Monday. I encourage you all to come out monday Aug 14th. Take care of some adminstrative tasks early on (id photos, parking etc) and then join us for dinner and an evening out. Keep looking forward to celebrating the start of a great four years with your new classmates

See you in August. PM me with any questions/comments

Thanks for the heads-up. I look forward to meeting everyone!

Should we get our id's b4 the 14th? If so, where exactly do we go?

BerkeleyMD said:
Thanks for the heads-up. I look forward to meeting everyone!

Should we get our id's b4 the 14th? If so, where exactly do we go?

Student ID photos are taken in the ID center located at Student Center west. Student Center west is the building on the Corner of Polk and Wolcott (directly across the street from the college of medicine). It is on the second floor of that building. You can get your ID at any time throughout the summer if you have the time. If you are in town early and are going to be exploring campus area you may as well get it done, or if you are going to be participating in the first social events on monday, that afternoon would also be a good time. The ONE/TWO things you need to get your ID photo is a printed copy of your schedule showing that you registered for classes from UI-Integrate and likely a photo ID. Their hours this summer are 9-4:30 M-F and their phone # is 312-413-5944

On the Monday list of optional activities, there is a list pre-orientation tasks. We list those Monday so that students can do some things early if they wish. There will be time for those activities on Tuesday during the orientation, but the time will not be as lengthy if students who are around town Monday want to get some business taken care of early. Hope this helps.

frankums said:
Student ID photos are taken in the ID center located at Student Center west. Student Center west is the building on the Corner of Polk and Wolcott (directly across the street from the college of medicine). It is on the second floor of that building. You can get your ID at any time throughout the summer if you have the time. If you are in town early and are going to be exploring campus area you may as well get it done, or if you are going to be participating in the first social events on monday, that afternoon would also be a good time. The ONE/TWO things you need to get your ID photo is a printed copy of your schedule showing that you registered for classes from UI-Integrate and likely a photo ID. Their hours this summer are 9-4:30 M-F and their phone # is 312-413-5944

On the Monday list of optional activities, there is a list pre-orientation tasks. We list those Monday so that students can do some things early if they wish. There will be time for those activities on Tuesday during the orientation, but the time will not be as lengthy if students who are around town Monday want to get some business taken care of early. Hope this helps.

I'm moving into the area this coming weekend, and I'm curious... if I get my ID right away, will I be able to bust into the UIC gym right away? It's a beautiful facility if I remember right and would like to start taking advantage of it ASAP =)

Ombatay said:
I'm moving into the area this coming weekend, and I'm curious... if I get my ID right away, will I be able to bust into the UIC gym right away? It's a beautiful facility if I remember right and would like to start taking advantage of it ASAP =)

sorry buddy. you will need to be registered for that semester(summer 06). for fall registrants gym access starts one week prior to semester start. you can always go there and give them an explanation. they are usually free to let you in. i recommend you also try the east campus rec center.

So about all these orientation activities... On the information mailed to me they didn't state ticket prices for the sox game or for the boat cruise or any of that thing. Would it be foolish of me to think these costs would be covered by UIC?

Ombatay said:
So about all these orientation activities... On the information mailed to me they didn't state ticket prices for the sox game or for the boat cruise or any of that thing. Would it be foolish of me to think these costs would be covered by UIC?

The events that you are responsible for paying for are listed in the explanation of the evening activities (e.g. food at the ball park, alchohol on the boat cruise, and food for those who come out to dinner on Monday night). Whirly Ball, Sox Game, and Boat Cruise should be covered by the College of Medicine and Funds that we have raised unless otherwise stated on the documents.

Members don't see this ad :)
frankums said:
The events that you are responsible for paying for are listed in the explanation of the evening activities (e.g. food at the ball park, alchohol on the boat cruise, and food for those who come out to dinner on Monday night). Whirly Ball, Sox Game, and Boat Cruise should be covered by the College of Medicine and Funds that we have raised unless otherwise stated on the documents.

FRANKIE IS ON SDN! awesome :D

frankums said:

Thanks for the detailed reply, I now know exactly where to go. I'll probably get it done the week b4 orientation.

Hi all,
I just wanted to throw this out as an alternative to the boat cruise to all of those who are as fitness oriented as I am. Nike is hosting a 5 mile run on Thursday, August 17th at 9pm in Grant Park called the "Nike run hit remix." It's a good time. The race features live bands every mile during the run course. Some of the groups headlining this year are Digital Underground, Young MC, and De La Soul. Go to Nikerunhitremix.com for more info. Later.

TriDoc said:
Hi all,
I just wanted to throw this out as an alternative to the boat cruise to all of those who are as fitness oriented as I am. Nike is hosting a 5 mile run on Thursday, August 17th at 9pm in Grant Park called the "Nike run hit remix." It's a good time. The race features live bands every mile during the run course. Some of the groups headlining this year are Digital Underground, Young MC, and De La Soul. Go to Nikerunhitremix.com for more info. Later.

Also, if anyone is interested in letting off some steam before orientation begins... how about the Distance Classic on Sunday Aug 13th. Granted no exciting bands, but 13 miles at 6:30am with 10,000 people is equally fun, well to me at least. And this way you don't miss the boat cruise haha. :) www.chicagodistanceclassic.com

hi guys,

maybe i'm an idiot, but for some reason, the office of student affairs and the office of financial aid say that i have not correctly changed my address. i've been arguing with them this morning, saying that i have indeed done this by virtue of having entered the correct info on this website: Enterprise

am i doing something wrong? is there yet ANOTHER website in which to alter my personal information. i had to call this morning because i have not yet received my orientation materials. the OSA said that my old address was listed. i'm starting to get mad b/c i did this in MAY, right when i signed the new lease. i just don't want a fin aid check coming to my old address. please advise when you have a chance.

UIC's website is really difficult to navigate, IMO.

Check all the addresses that are listed in enterprise and be sure that they are set the your current one. You could also try going into the office... That is the most sure fire way to get it done.

Set up fin aid for direct deposit... dont rely on the mail for that check.

medicomel said:
hi guys,

maybe i'm an idiot, but for some reason, the office of student affairs and the office of financial aid say that i have not correctly changed my address. i've been arguing with them this morning, saying that i have indeed done this by virtue of having entered the correct info on this website: Enterprise

am i doing something wrong? is there yet ANOTHER website in which to alter my personal information. i had to call this morning because i have not yet received my orientation materials. the OSA said that my old address was listed. i'm starting to get mad b/c i did this in MAY, right when i signed the new lease. i just don't want a fin aid check coming to my old address. please advise when you have a chance.

Hey guys, my name is Vita I'm an M4 and I'll be one of your ECM tutors in the spring. Sounds like you guys will be a fun class, because us M4s like to party;)
Also from BG and BGHS, we have quite a few of us scattered between the existing 3 classes.
Look foreward to meeting you guys in August.

medicomel said:
hi guys,

i think all address changes were supposed to be through AMCAS atleast until your classes started and the schools used info from their own database rather than getting it from amcas.

Is anybody in need of a couch and recliner? I have a green couch and a brown recliner, which aren't necessarily in new condition (but by no means bad condition) and still have a lot of life left in them. I can deliver them to your front door this Sunday as well, as I'll be moving most of my stuff to UIC this weekend, so I don't imagine it'd be too much trouble to drop them off if you're in the area. I'll sell them to you...cheap... just make me an offer. any offer. I can take pictures of the furniture if you'd like. I wouldn't be getting rid of them myself if I wasn't moving into a furnished place.

Anyone do their criminal background check yet??

What location do we choose to get fingerprinted at?

BerkeleyMD said:
Anyone do their criminal background check yet??

What location do we choose to get fingerprinted at?

I don't think it sayed to pick a specific location, just that we get fingerprinted between 1-5 on the 14th and 15th; I just picked the one closest to my apartment which was the one off rooselevelt.

busthwt said:
I don't think it sayed to pick a specific location, just that we get fingerprinted between 1-5 on the 14th and 15th; I just picked the one closest to my apartment which was the one off rooselevelt.

I can't seem to find a place near campus to get it done.. any pointers??

I live really close to campus..

EDIT: ehhh.. looks like I'll be driving all the way out to some place off Milwaulkee and Cicero.

BerkeleyMD said:
I can't seem to find a place near campus to get it done.. any pointers??

I live really close to campus..

EDIT: ehhh.. looks like I'll be driving all the way out to some place off Milwaulkee and Cicero.

I am hoping that they meant that the fingerprinting would be done on campus no matter where and when we sign up online. Why would they expect people to leave campus, drive (if they even have a car) to god knows where to get some fingerprints taken? Particularly on the 15th when our orientation schedule looks busy.

squareDR said:
I am hoping that they meant that the fingerprinting would be done on campus no matter where and when we sign up online. Why would they expect people to leave campus, drive (if they even have a car) to god knows where to get some fingerprints taken? Particularly on the 15th when our orientation schedule looks busy.

From what I got, they want us to get it done b/w 1-5pm on either Mon or Tues. It seems like a really open time frame if it were something done on campus, but thats my hunch.

Also, if you follow that website we do need to find a fingerprinting site and that ultra convenient Roosevelt and Damen location is taken up :mad: .

I think that the mandatory stuff on Monday/Tuesday is over before 1pm, so that gives us the rest of the time before the evening activities to get that fingerprinting done.

I figure I'll drive out to Skokie and hit up Costco/Walmart for random stuff while I'm out there.

I really did wish they had it done on campus, Rush kids do :smuggrin:

Also, if you follow that website we do need to find a fingerprinting site and that ultra convenient Roosevelt and Damen location is taken up :mad: .

I think that the mandatory stuff on Monday/Tuesday is over before 1pm, so that gives us the rest of the time before the evening activities to get that fingerprinting done.

I figure I'll drive out to Skokie and hit up Costco/Walmart for random stuff while I'm out there.

I really did wish they had it done on campus, Rush kids do :smuggrin:[/QUOTE]

well, I don't know if this solves your problem, but you can try calling the 800 number listed on the fingerprinting website, see what they can do for you. maybe they can override whatever the website says? It was a roughly 25-minute wait on hold, but when I got through, the woman was really helpful. I'd called because the billing account number wasn't going through, but she ended up registering me right away on the phone.

no, guys, it's done on campus during monday and tuesday of orientation. when selecting a location, you have to scroll down from the map portion. i think in the dropdown menu it's called special something or other. follow that through and it should get you to selecting UIC chicago campus or champaign.

select a day, and then any time during that day, and it should lead you to filling out the registration form. when it's time to enter a payment, then enter the code that Mark Urosev told you in the email.

i was completely confused yesterday and he walked me through it over the phone. hope this helps.

medicomel said:
no, guys, it's done on campus during monday and tuesday of orientation. when selecting a location, you have to scroll down from the map portion. i think in the dropdown menu it's called special something or other. follow that through and it should get you to selecting UIC chicago campus or champaign.

select a day, and then any time during that day, and it should lead you to filling out the registration form. when it's time to enter a payment, then enter the code that Mark Urosev told you in the email.

i was completely confused yesterday and he walked me through it over the phone. hope this helps.

I'll try this out. Thanks for the help!

I really wished they clarified everything in the email.

EDIT: I just got it at UIC and just need to cancel my other appt. on monday when they are open, thanks mel.. I'd would have been the only goof ball driving across town to get fingerprinted :D

medicomel said:

Hey All-

Follow what medicomel says. The finger printing should be available ON campus Monday and Tuesday 1-5. If you are near a different location and want to do it then, I believe that is fine too. If you can get it done monday, that'd probably be a smart idea. I haven't seen the email Mark sent out, but I'm sure its confusing. If it is, keep calling and let them know how unclear it is. Sorry about that.

Also the M1 orientation website, should explain a bit more this Monday. Please check there for additional details.
http://www.uic.edu/depts/mcam/osa/M1Year/index.html

yo- what's up with this fingerprinting thing, why were we (M2's) never fingerprinted (or did they flash a memory-eraser thingie at us during our orientation)?

sga814 said:
yo- what's up with this fingerprinting thing, why were we (M2's) never fingerprinted (or did they flash a memory-eraser thingie at us during our orientation)?

It's due to this new legislation that was put into effect 12/5/2005. So I don't know if they'll ever catch up to you guys and fingerprint you too, but all incoming M1's have to fingerprinted. From the sound of this too, it looks like they're retaining our fingerprints and all other pertinent information in the SCMODS afterwards.

Chi-towner said:
Just a little situation that I am trying to figure out

Thanks

that's what it said after i submitted the immunization forms, and whatever else they wanted. you should call and ask if you haven't received their orientation materials yet. mine were sent to the wrong address. i know i can still view them online, but it sucks that they didn't update my address until i called last week. :rolleyes:

yo peeps, i've been a reader on this site for a while but haven't posted that much. im gonna be at uic also. im living in a condo in university village. i went to uic for undergrad so if you guys have any questions about the campus and stuff i can answer. are you guys gonna do all the orientation stuff? also, im afraid there wont be any people my age during orientation cuz im 20 yrs old and wont be able to get into the clubs and stuff that the people go to at night (from what i hear).

Whats up people, I hope everyone is excited about starting medical school. I'm an outer stater and gonna be moving up there next week and it will be cool to get to know some people before hand. If anyone wants to do something, go for a few drinks or what not hit me up maybe we can hit up wrigleyville or something along those lines.

TheFortunate said:
also, im afraid there wont be any people my age during orientation cuz im 20 yrs old and wont be able to get into the clubs and stuff that the people go to at night (from what i hear).

Wow and here I am worried about being old. This sucks even more. I didn't turn 21 till after I graduated from college either. It was a bummer not to be able to party with my friends senior year. Don't worry. We will show you a good time anyway ;) When is your birthday BTW?

madboy said:
how many of you are buying textbooks now? does anyone know if the 2006-07 list is final?

http://www.uic.edu/depts/mcam/ugme/pdfs/Textbook_2007.pdf

I'm gonna wait and talk to 2nd years to see what they bought, because we will be swamped with work that we won't have time to even look at some of those books. Also the student to student guide looks pretty helpful in deciphering what books to buy.

madboy said:
how many of you are buying textbooks now? does anyone know if the 2006-07 list is final?

Definitely wait till you talk to 2nd years. From what I understand, there's always a lot of textbooks that you barely use, and the class notes are so comprehensive they function well in leiu of a textbook. There'll be plenty of time to buy the books once classes start. Does anybody know if the M2's have a book sale and sell us what they no longer need?

madboy said:

Hey-

I would definitely wait on buying textbooks. The text list is posted and somewhat accurate but students often use different texts than those which are "required" by faculty. The best way to get this information is from students. Also please avoid using last years student to student guide for too much reference on courses and text books. That guide is extremely outdated, not only for text info but also for info on faculty who teach specific courses.

You will receive a completely new student to student guide with accurate course and text information on your first day of orientation. Once you get the student guide info, the class info, the student opinions, and a chance to look through the texts in the bookstore, then decide what you want to buy. If you dont want to purchase from the bookstore, then go ahead and find things cheaper online, but I strongly recommend the above suggestions first though.

Oh and typically there is a used book sale, though when and where that will occur has not been established to my knowledge

TheFortunate said:
i went to uic for undergrad so if you guys have any questions about the campus and stuff i can answer. are you guys gonna do all the orientation stuff? also, im afraid there wont be any people my age during orientation cuz im 20 yrs old and wont be able to get into the clubs and stuff that the people go to at night (from what i hear).

HaHa - 20 years old in Chicago, you should have been going to the bars for 4 or 5 years by now. Just kidding, don't break the law now - it would suck to have to explain that to the Dean. Ask someone on the orientation committee which events you should be able to get in, you should be able to go to most of the events (maybe not whirleyball). We had an M1 who was 19 that seemed to be at all of the events held at bars last year. Good luck

yeah, i don't remember getting carded once, but then again I was an old man at 22 (to be 24 soon :eek: ).

madboy said:

don't buy berne and levy... buy costanzo- for physio all you wanna do is costanzo and co-op's (and perhaps BRS which is also written by Costanzo)- I'm confident 75% of the class would agree..

as for other books/classes, check out my previous post from a long time ago (if you so desire)- I listed my personal preferences there.

oh and btw, if you're the type of person that thinks... pfft, I don't need co-ops... just try them for a semester anyway cause you'll find living without them to be difficult ;)

Do any of the M2's remember when our health insurance kicks in? Right now, I have none and almost having a major car accident yesterday has got me a bit nervous.

squareDR said:
Do any of the M2's remember when our health insurance kicks in? Right now, I have none and almost having a major car accident yesterday has got me a bit nervous.

The campus care website says coverage for fall is 8/28/06-1/15/07. Since we start classes a week before the UG's, our insurance starts on 8/21/06. Just be careful for the next two weeks :)

nimer1456 said:
The campus care website says coverage for fall is 8/28/06-1/15/07. Since we start classes a week before the UG's, our insurance starts on 8/21/06. Just be careful for the next two weeks :)

yes, but we just got an e-mail from mr. lamye (howard?) encouraging us to go to go to family med for immunization paperwork if we have campus care... so perhaps it is already in effect?

sga814 said:
yes, but we just got an e-mail from mr. lamye (howard?) encouraging us to go to go to family med for immunization paperwork if we have campus care... so perhaps it is already in effect?

Ms. LeAmye Howard emailed us :) She is nice. If you have campus care for the summer you can do it... otherwise wait until fall semester is active.