UIC Class of 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
we should all get together after the 2nd look day next week and have a few drinks.

Members don't see this ad.

sga814 said:
And about that person who interviewed later and still got Chicago track- I'm sure numbers played some sort of role.
I was just curious about this sentence, when you say numbers played a role, do you mean numbers as in GPA/MCAT? do people with higher stats get assigned to chicago preferentially? just curious, not trying to fan the flames :)

sorry for being so cryptic- by numbers I actually mean two things- one- yes MCAT (GPA is complete bs, no one really cares about that)... perhaps that applicant applied later in the application cycle but w/ good numbers (eg took summer mcat), and therefore was given Chicago for that reason... or there was a certain ethnicity quota that hadn't been met in Chicago.. so that was the reason she was placed in chicago... in either case- it was not random- there was some reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
so what is the dress code to the second look this Friday. Temps in Chi town have been in the sixtees lately. So I was thinking a shirt, tie and a spring jacket(it can always rain in chicago).

goodboyof19 said:
so what is the dress code to the second look this Friday. Temps in Chi town have been in the sixtees lately. So I was thinking a shirt, tie and a spring jacket(it can always rain in chicago).
The e-mail I got said second look day is casual. I'm probably not going to wear jeans, but i don't think a shirt and tie is needed (if I were a guy I'd probably go with a nice button down shirt and khakis)

wow thinknofu3, just saw your mdapplicants thing- i went to NU as well... um, w/ your mad skills, and based on the schools you got into/waitlisted at, get ready to destroy tests/honor every class.. (although I probably would've taken the U Penn slot even though i also like chicago)

I called the Urbana med school office this morning, the lady said she will be sending out information packets this week to the incoming students.

For those of you from out of town, what hotel you stayin' at for the 2nd look day??

My wife and I are staying at the Westin O'Hare, got a deal from priceline.

How long of a drive is it from O'hare to the school?

BerkeleyMD said:
For those of you from out of town, what hotel you stayin' at for the 2nd look day??

I'm staying a super 8 by ohare which came out pretty cheap, but really accessible to public transport.

BerkeleyMD said:

YOu could take the blue line from O'hare right to UIC if you would rather not drive. It is pretty easy and pretty quick.

The drive from Ohare to UIC shouldn't be absolutely horrid... but assuming you are doing during the morning commute, traffic may be less than fun. When I've run down there in the mornings I've run into some pretty nasty traffic on I-90 just north of the circle interchange (what we chicagoans call the big junction in the heart of the city, which is right near UIC, which also explains the old name for the UIC campus being called "circle campus") The portion of 90/94 south of the circle (the dan ryan expressway) is torn up in a massive construction project, and this is causing some traffic backups up onto the portion north of the circle (the kennedy expressway). So I'd give yourself at least an hour to make it from O'Hare if driving. There's a chance you'd be early, but there's no harm in that. You can explore the area if that's the case.

Kitsy probably had a better suggestion in taking the El in. The blue line runs right to campus. You can get on the train at O'Hare... the stop being in the basement of Terminal One I believe, but not positive on that. There is a slightly more convenient option at the "Cumberland Park 'n Ride" which is at the intersections of Cumberland Ave and I-90. It's a little bit easier to get to than the airport stop in my experience, and you can park there for a very reasonable amount (cheaper than in the city or at the airport for sure). Taking the train into the city, you'd prefer to be on a train labelled as going to 54th/Cermak (the other option will be labeled "Forest Park"). The Blue line splits right before UIC's medical campus, and the 54th/Cermak branch will take you to the Polk stop, which is the closest stop to campus. If you end up on the Forest Park branch I think you can get off at "Medical Center" which shouldn't be much farther of a walk. All in all the ride will probably take 40-45 minutes. It's 2 dollars each way on the El (bring singles, as you have to deal with fare card machines and no actual attendants).

All that being said, I am not (yet) a UIC student, but I'm very familiar with the CTA (a.k.a. the "El") so a current student may find some flaws in my reasoning... corrections are welcome :)

Chicago CTA map

taking either blue line from o'hare, you can get off at the Polk Stop or the Medical Center stop (whichever applies). from there, the medical school is equidistant from either stop, and is at the corner of Polk and Wood. Ask anybody once you're there, and they'll gladly point the way.

eh, no- the medical school I CURRENTLY ATTEND (UIC) is certainly NOT equidistant from either stop- the closest stop is the POLK stop on the BLUE LINE towards 54th/Cermak (NOT towards Forest Park). Take the blue line train that has "54th/Cermak" outlined in blue (the one that's colored in is Forest Park). Exit on Polk, walk WEST along POLK, Cross Wood St. and enter either at the Wood St. Entrance or at POLK and WOLCOTT, which is further west. hope that helps.

-----------

For those driving from O-Hare or anywhere up North- beware- there is currently a huge renovation on the Dan Ryan- so you may not want to take I-94. So you may want to re-route via I-294 then I-290.

Members don't see this ad :)
sga814 said:
For those driving from O-Hare or anywhere up North- beware- there is currently a huge renovation on the Dan Ryan- so you may not want to take I-94. So you may want to re-route via I-294 then I-290.

Thx for the heads up.

directions to 808 South Wood Street

er, um...the medical school i WILL BE attending is roughly equidistant from both the Polk Station blue line or Medical Station blue line. 0.2 miles is not really that much extra walking, would you think?

granted, the Polk Station [CTA BLUE LINE TRAIN (TO 54TH/CERMAK)] is a better route, but the OP regarding this issue isn't screwed if he accidentally took the blue line to Forest Park.

i'm a little curious why your posts are so combative? do you have a chip on your shoulder or something??? basically those of us on this thread (CLASS OF 2010, btw) are really excited to be matriculating.

hi evverrybody,

I have to agree w/op polk is closer, even if not by much. The BIG thing for me about polk stop is at night and early morning is that it's well lit and not as scary as the medical center stop.

No wait, the REALLY BIG thing is that the polk stop has dunkin donuts - the end.

mmm donuts, now who can argue with that? :laugh:

shorrin:

HELL YEAH!

I'm beginning to think they mix something in with their coffee...
I'm going to get myself a cup right now.

I'm a weak, weak soul...

OT: Kudos on the Richard Feynman quote.

thanks man!

oh, btw, I highly recommend NOT looking up the nutrition info on thier coffee with cream and sugar ;).

And when you are at the U during rotations the place opens at 6am. This is VERY important because the cafeteria coffee sucks ass.

medicomel said:
directions to 808 South Wood Street

er, um...the medical school i WILL BE attending is roughly equidistant from both the Polk Station blue line or Medical Station blue line. 0.2 miles is not really that much extra walking, would you think?

granted, the Polk Station [CTA BLUE LINE TRAIN (TO 54TH/CERMAK)] is a better route, but the OP regarding this issue isn't screwed if he accidentally took the blue line to Forest Park.

i'm a little curious why your posts are so combative? do you have a chip on your shoulder or something??? basically those of us on this thread (CLASS OF 2010, btw) are really excited to be matriculating.

I was wondering the same thing...wow. Remember sga814 is just being "real", so don't take it personally. Some people just come off very cranky and above everyone else. No worries though. I am excited right along with you medicomel. Woo hoo Class of 2010!!!

So, for those Chicago people - I know that second look is in a couple of days...I'm very excited...i know people had mentioned in passing getting together afterwards (since the day ends at 3 PM) - is anybody still interested? I think we should set it up :)

thinknofu3 said:
So, for those Chicago people - I know that second look is in a couple of days...I'm very excited...i know people had mentioned in passing getting together afterwards (since the day ends at 3 PM) - is anybody still interested? I think we should set it up :)

I'll drink to that, being out of stater I don't know much about chicago except that it has the sears tower; so it would be great to get together with future classmates.

Not sure if anybody noticed... the dates for orientation seemed to have changed on the OSA website. It's now posting as the 14-19th (which makes more sense, as 7-12 would have encompassed the weekend), and the white coat ceremony is the 19th.

ours started on the 15th- so that seems right. in retrospect- what i would've done differently during orientation was--- drink.. very heavily, it'll help you through the boredom. (although the m2 organized social activities were rockin)

sga814 said:
ours started on the 15th- so that seems right. in retrospect- what i would've done differently during orientation was--- drink.. very heavily, it'll help you through the boredom. (although the m2 organized social activities were rockin)

That's the great thing about chicago - bored? go do your own thing!

sga814 said:

in a reply to my own statement- yeah- here's what happened- our orientation started like on the 7th/8th- classes started on the 15th. However, this year- there's some weird insurance policy issues w/ starting one week before the undergrads on the east campus- so they're starting a week later than normal- this probably explains the sudden change on the osa website. Secondly, to compensate for this- it looks like they may get rid of spring break, so as to allow adequate time for m1 preparation for make-up exams, and m2 preparation for step 1. I'll keep you posted if I find out more.

peace

Hi Guys,

What did you think about the Second Look? I thought it was awesome! It was exactly what I needed to get through my last couple of months of work. I'm really excited about starting now, and I think the new curriculum doesn't sound that scary.

Your thoughts?

medicomel said:
Hi Guys,

What did you think about the Second Look? I thought it was awesome! It was exactly what I needed to get through my last couple of months of work. I'm really excited about starting now, and I think the new curriculum doesn't sound that scary.

Your thoughts?

Heh heh,
I saw some of you guys on friday getting a tour from tim chilcote. You are all so cute ;) (not in a condescending way), I mean all smiley and excited :). It's going to be a heck of an experience!

I was in tim's tour group. Second look did make me a little excited for school this fall. I feel more inclined to go with UIC now then I did before. I havent decided on UIC yet, is anyone else still trying to finalize their decision?

Anything exciting happen at 2nd look? I wasn't there so someone update me! =)

what up everybody! i'm gonna need some roommates for the fall. maybe one or two depending on the price, or if some one needs an extra person hit me up. i'm 22, male, clean, quiet, who is currently an undergrad wrapping up at UIC.

Ombatay said:
Anything exciting happen at 2nd look? I wasn't there so someone update me! =)

medicomel said:
Hi Guys,

Your thoughts?

I was unable to make it to secod look. Can you talk about the new curriculum. Anybody? Thanks.

pico61 said:
I was unable to make it to secod look. Can you took about the new curriculum. Anybody? Thanks.
The new curriculum (as explained to us by both a student from the curriculum committee and one of the deans) seeks to take the strongpoints of traditional and integrated curricula and blend them together. Most of the courses are going to be the same (one difference I know for sure is that Biochem and Nutrition are going to be combined rather than two seperate classes), and that the beginning of the year is designed to "ease" us into med school rather than throwing us straight into the fire. I've also heard from other people that our classes are supposed to be more "integrated" in a type of organ-based system (that is, when you're doing the heart in anatomy you should be doing so in physiology and histology, etc as well), and that we don't start anatomy until week 5 or 6. Somebody please correct me if I got any of that wrong!

ha- they "eased" us in by starting histo the second week and anatomy on the first day.

good thing that nutrition and biochem will be combined-- so get ready for some Dr. Ho (riffic) fun!!

thinknofu3 said:
The new curriculum (as explained to us by both a student from the curriculum committee and one of the deans) seeks to take the strongpoints of traditional and integrated curricula and blend them together. Most of the courses are going to be the same (one difference I know for sure is that Biochem and Nutrition are going to be combined rather than two seperate classes), and that the beginning of the year is designed to "ease" us into med school rather than throwing us straight into the fire. I've also heard from other people that our classes are supposed to be more "integrated" in a type of organ-based system (that is, when you're doing the heart in anatomy you should be doing so in physiology and histology, etc as well), and that we don't start anatomy until week 5 or 6. Somebody please correct me if I got any of that wrong!

That's how I remember it. What about the reduced number of classes? From ninety-something to seventy-something?

Yeah, I think that was the combined Biochem and Nutrition. Instead of ninety-something lectures between the two classes, it's seventy-something when you combine the two.

thinknofu3 said:
Yeah, I think that was the combined Biochem and Nutrition. Instead of ninety-something lectures between the two classes, it's seventy-something when you combine the two.

I think it was 96 to 72, but I am not sure...

sga814 said:
ha- they "eased" us in by starting histo the second week and anatomy on the first day.

good thing that nutrition and biochem will be combined-- so get ready for some Dr. Ho (riffic) fun!!

Simon,

I've been reading the "advice" you're giving these M0's. And I thought u were a cool cat.

To the Class of 2010, i will reiterate what was mentioned b4: You make the best of what you have. Chicago tracks has its advantages, and so do the other tracks. Petition for whatever changes you want to, but know that in the end you will end up as an MD.

If you're deciding between this school and another, find out first what is important to you. If money is an issue, goto the place thats cheaper. If its prestige, then go to the top-ranked. Either way, both will give you an MD.

And for the curriculum. Do not worry about it at the moment. You'll have plenty of time to look at it during the fall.

Oh, and Simon, stop scaring them with rumors. What is being proposed at with the schedule are just suggestions at the moment. And I liked Dr. Ho. He may be difficult to understand but he really looked out for us. I would rank him (along w/ Lieksa, Anderson, Henderson & Unnerstall) as one of the top instructors our school has to offer. They keep it real.

So M0's, go enjoy this summer.

Just curious here...my tour guides during second look said (and they weren't joking) that we should buy anatomy flashcards and start reviewing (nothing hard core, but just to start getting familiar) over the summer to get a head start on anatomy. But everyone on SDN says that you shouldn't, because it won't really be worth anything. I was wondering if any of the M1s-or higher could comment on this...especially since it seems like we won't be starting anatomy til week 5 or 6, is it worth it? What are your thoughts?

thinknofu3 said:
Just curious here...my tour guides during second look said (and they weren't joking) that we should buy anatomy flashcards and start reviewing (nothing hard core, but just to start getting familiar) over the summer to get a head start on anatomy. But everyone on SDN says that you shouldn't, because it won't really be worth anything. I was wondering if any of the M1s-or higher could comment on this...especially since it seems like we won't be starting anatomy til week 5 or 6, is it worth it? What are your thoughts?

I have to say that it would not be worth your time. Main reason b/c you dont have a body to correlate your studies to. Also, b/c you wouldnt know what to focus on. The anatomy course is split into 3 sections and it would be a waste of time to look over all the flash cards. The only good thing for the flash cards is to built your vocabulary. And you can start doing that once you are in school, since the other courses will help you in your regurgitation.

Still, if you insist on ruining your summer, this is what you could do: Focus on the extremities. That is the 1st section of anatomy. That includes superficial back, chest (including breast but dont go inside thorax), axilla, arms, hands, legs (and butt) and feet. Obtain flash cards that have clinical correlations to it (Grays flashcards come in mind). In Lieska's class, correlations is money.

Again, I do not recommend this. Most people in the end (including myself) bought the cards but rarely used them. It was better (& more time efficient) to go to lab and look at the actual structures in their full glory. Plus, the formaldehyde helps you memorize things (it also makes u hungry!!)

I would ditto no summer reading. It's very hard (for anatomy) to correlate structures in a book to each other.

I'd buy costanzo and start up on physiology if you have to do something.

I'm graduating in two short days. The time really flies. ;)

I think I remember from my interview that UIC-Chicago offers some spanish classes. Does anyone have anything to say about this? I had four years in highschool and about 3 semesters in College but never became fluent. It has been years now (I'm a nontraditional, ie. older, student), but I'm thinking that I really want to brush up on my Spanish skills and try to become fluent at some point. Rather than studying Anatomy this summer, I was thinking about reviewing/brushing up on the Spanish I do know. Any advice on this? What is the feeling about learning Spanish. It almost seems as if it is a necessity or at least it will be. Plus, I could really see myself working/volunteering in a Spanish speaking country at some point. Then again, the US is becoming a Spanish speaking country.........

During the fall, spanish-speaking uic students hold "medical spanish" classes during lunch. I never attended one since I had about 7 years of spanish- but I heard they're quite good. Also, a lot of people volunteer at the Student- Run Free Clinic, where most of the patients speak spanish only- hence giving a chance to practice your skills!!

thinknofu3 said:

I usually don't brag about anything- but I pretty much destroyed Gross Anatomy (top 5% overall; top score on final exam)- so you might want to listen to my advice. BEST thing to do is to relax (which is what I did)- cause you'll need all the energy you can get for first year. BUT, if you really wanna get ahead of the game- flashcards are an OK idea- but I found myself to be much more more of a visual learner (by observing Dr. Lieska dissect and identifying structures by myself). So along w/ or instead of Flashcards/coloring book, your best bet would be to watch dissection videos to get a feel for what lab will be like and what structures will look like in-"vivo"... they look nothing like they do in the flashcards. Although you guys don't have access to blackboard yet- here are some dissection sites I found to be very useful... Enjoy:

http://www.anatomy.wisc.edu/courses/gross/index.html

http://www.med.umich.edu/lrc/coursepages/M1/anatomy/html/courseinfo/video_index.html

Those are pretty cool to watch, even if just for interest :) Thanks for the links.

dr.choc said:
I watched the first few clips over dinner. I really enjoyed that, thanks!

Dinner??? :laugh:

Classic.

I probably do not technically qualify to post here :D , but I'd like to seek some advice from those who are familiar with UIC admissions process. Since you are all in, I thought this forum might be the best one to post my message.

A couple of weeks ago, I received an email from the admissions office that my application was reviewed, no final decision was made, but still under consideration. Has anyone in this forum received this message and gotten in? I am just curious to know exactly what the email means. Waitlist, soon to be rejected? (if so, I would rather stop waiting and move on with 2007 AMCAS) I called the office but really didn't get a straight answer. I have been waitlisted at another Chicago school, but I really have my heart set for UIC. If there is anything I can do now to improve my chances...I would do anything within ethical standards.

Who makes the final decisions, dean or the committee? Does the committee meet in the summer as well?

Any helpful, realistic info is appreciated. And congrats to all of you. :)

ULTRA nerves said:
I probably do not technically qualify to post here :D , but I'd like to seek some advice from those who are familiar with UIC admissions process. Since you are all in, I thought this forum might be the best one to post my message.

A couple of weeks ago, I received an email from the admissions office that my application was reviewed, no final decision was made, but still under consideration. Has anyone in this forum received this message and gotten in? I am just curious to know exactly what the email means. Waitlist, soon to be rejected? (if so, I would rather stop waiting and move on with 2007 AMCAS) I called the office but really didn't get a straight answer. I have been waitlisted at another Chicago school, but I really have my heart set for UIC. If there is anything I can do now to improve my chances...I would do anything within ethical standards.

Who makes the final decisions, dean or the committee? Does the committee meet in the summer as well?

Any helpful, realistic info is appreciated. And congrats to all of you. :)

So I assume you interviewed then? I actually recieved the same message last year, and came to believe that it was indeed their waitlist. "Application placed on hold" I believe was the technical term. Last year they had waaay overaccepted, so the waitlist never moved an inch. I know they were a bit stung by the huge class last year, and they're supposed to be being a little bit less accepting during the early course of things. So hopefully that means there'll be waitlist movement. You will get a definitive answer shortly after June 1, at least, and won't be waiting all summer.

if you haven't interviewed yet the last one is 5/8.

One of my classmates tried 3x to get to UIC. She has done more interesting and amazing things than many in our class. There's no accounting for taste in the admissions office at times.

alright- here's your accounting hierarchy at the UIC adcom in order of most likely to be accepted... (URM= hispanic, african-american, native american (very rare))

(1) URM with credentials
(2) URM with moderate credentials
(3) out-of-state URM with credentials
(4) out-of-state URM with moderate credentials (notice a pattern yet?)
(5) all URM's with not so great but marginally acceptable credentials
(6) everyone else in-state
(7)everyone else out-of-state

However, since there are not all that many URM's out there- #'s 6 and 7 will still dominate in terms of majority... but when selection process is made that is most likely order (based on people that are in my class).

Please correct me if I'm wrong fellow UIC-ians.