UIC Class of 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
s2kfan1 said:
is there a special procedure for appealing track assignments? I need to be in chicago for family reasons. please let me know how this can be done. if there is someone ready to switch, would UICCOM allow the two of us to switch assigments?? just lookin for the correct info.

not sure if there is a standard procedure, but everyone seems to be saying that trading b/w students is acceptable.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
can someone who's currently in Chicago or Peoria PM me? I got assigned to the Urbana-Peoria track, but I'm trying to figure out whether I should try to switch or not. I would just like to find out what kinds of experiences people had from both tracks--in terms of academics and recreation.
Please do PM me, I would really appreciate your opinion!

thanks so much!

md2010??? said:
Hi,
can someone who's currently in Chicago or Peoria PM me? I got assigned to the Urbana-Peoria track, but I'm trying to figure out whether I should try to switch or not. I would just like to find out what kinds of experiences people had from both tracks--in terms of academics and recreation.
Please do PM me, I would really appreciate your opinion!

thanks so much!

like md2010, I was assigned to the Urbana-Peoria track. I 've been debating over whether I should appeal to be reassigned to the Rockford site. I am fine with not going to the Chicago campus because my family lives in Chicago and I would like to try to live farther away from my parents. So my dilemma now is choosing between Peroria and Rockford. If anybody has any insight into the differences between these two locations, please help me out. I specifically would like to know about the clinical experiences students have in these locations. Where will I get better training to prepare me for residency?Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently in chicago and have really liked it here but I have lived here for the past 11 years. It's not the quiet, peaceful setting that peoria is and is much, much more expensive. I had a tough time with my budget allocation in chicago and I am not one to spend a lot. The el (train) is now up $2 a ride and while our classes have voted on a $80/semester 'u-pass' that allows students unlimited rides on the CTA (chicago buses and trains) it is only for M1 and M2.

During M3 you pretty much need a car and parking at uic hospitals is $40 per month otherwise you can take your chances with street parking. You are not guaranteed hospital rotation sites close to home, though you can trade if others are willing. Some hospitals have free parking, some do not have any at all and some hospitals are accessible by public transport and some are difficult to get to that way.

I'm not trying to put anyone off chicago, I live here and am doing 5 years of residency here, but it can be tough to negotiate all of the obstacles and I wanted any of the out-of-towners to get a picture of some of the difficulties.

I don't know very much about peoria, except that I've been told that they score on step 1 higher than chicago fairly consistently. I visited peoria on an interview during M4 and I was very impressed by how pretty it was and how cheap. Peoria students seemed to like it.

About rockford, I interviewed there and found it to be too small a program and city for my liking. I like my privacy and I think that they probably know each others business more than I would like. A bonus (if they still have it) is that they have a 'certified' step 1 test site in the building. I know two students at rockford from rotations they did at chicago ( so you can rotate at chicago I think for electives in 4th year) and they liked it. It is a very heavy FP site BUT a big plus (imho) is that during your M3 clinical rotations you work DIRECTLY with attending docs and not through residents. I think you get a lot more responsibility that way. I suppose some may not like that as much, I mean it's easier to sneak off early if you report to a bunch of residents instead of the attending that may write you a letter....

babybichon said:
like md2010, I was assigned to the Urbana-Peoria track. I 've been debating over whether I should appeal to be reassigned to the Rockford site. I am fine with not going to the Chicago campus because my family lives in Chicago and I would like to try to live farther away from my parents. So my dilemma now is choosing between Peroria and Rockford. If anybody has any insight into the differences between these two locations, please help me out. I specifically would like to know about the clinical experiences students have in these locations. Where will I get better training to prepare me for residency?Thank you.

whereas Rockford is more "family practice" focused (they have a specific FP residency), Peoria is more "surgery" focused- they have their own surgery residency program.

also, Richard Pryor was born in Peoria.

otherwise, both are surrounded by farms.

thinknofu3 said:
So rubberduckmd, you're an NU grad - can I ask what year? You're the third one on this thread...we have a McCormick '05, and I myself am WCAS '06. We can have ourselves a little NU party (of course, everyone else is invited too!) Are you planning on coming to the second look on April 28th?

Hey all!! Make that another NU-er (McCormick '05!). We'll definetely have to have a lil NU party(with others welcome to join as well of course as you mentioned :) ) Looking forward to meeting all of you soon!!

i guess we all have our reasons, but i couldnt imagine living in a small city. chicago is a world class city and in my mind (based on significant stays in many cities around the country), the only places i could live/function is in la, nyc, or chicago. the culture, diversity, opportunities, food, night-life, attractions, museums, people etc are amazing (yea m1 year leaves little time for much, but whenever i have the chance im out and exploring the city). yes, you'll have the headaches of any large city - noise, pollution (altho chicago is one of the cleanest large cities in the country), traffic, etc...but im a city person and if i didnt get into the chicago campus, i prolly wouldnt be at uic. the education you'll get from the upr track or the chicago track is solid, but the experience of living in chicago is unmatched (again, my opinion) by most cities in the country. :thumbup:

if there is anybody that would like to be reassigned out of the chicago track into the UPR track can you please PM me. thank you.

s2kfan1- that is highly unlikely, if someone wanted the upr track, and they were admitted during an earlier period, they probably would have written that on their preference card and gotten the spot immediately.

you'll have a better chance if you try using some "elbow grease" w/ the ad office (see one of my earlier posts). 19 or so people were transferred last year, so it is possible, although difficult, b/c probably 100 people or so probably want to be transferred.

good luck!!

Hey, anyone ride motorcycles? How absolutely ridiculous would it be for me to bring my bike to Chicago? My dad has a garage in the burbs that I could store it in the winter, but I was wondering if it was completely impractical. I'll probably bring in no matter, but I was just wondering. I haven't lived in Chicago so I'm not sure how motorcycle friendly it is...... I mean other than the freezing winters and all. In Seattle we have the rain, but that is a completely different monster compared to a big city and snow.

kitsy said:
Hey, anyone ride motorcycles? How absolutely ridiculous would it be for me to bring my bike to Chicago? My dad has a garage in the burbs that I could store it in the winter, but I was wondering if it was completely impractical. I'll probably bring in no matter, but I was just wondering. I haven't lived in Chicago so I'm not sure how motorcycle friendly it is...... I mean other than the freezing winters and all. In Seattle we have the rain, but that is a completely different monster compared to a big city and snow.
you're going to med school and you ride a motorcycle?

thinknofu3 said:
Hehehehehe! The class is definitely going to be diverse!

So did anybody else from the most recent rounds of acceptances get Chicago campus besides Rubberduckrmd? Or was everybody else assigned to the UPR track?

Members don't see this ad :)
thinknofu3 said:
Yep. I've worked in the ER and I took an EMT course.......and yes I still ride a motorcycle. I just started this year. Something I've always wanted to do and my boyfriend races so...... Hey, you only live once.

But I understand the surprise. It is pretty dangerous. However, I know a neurosurgeon that races motorcycles. Now that's crazy.

City driving is very harrowing due to crazy cabbies and maniac buses. Not to mention all the angry chicago drivers.
I drove with a boyfriend during M1 year. He always stored his bike as soon as it got cold. There's no way you can drive from late oct to early april.

just be very careful. :luck:

shorrin said:
City driving is very harrowing due to crazy cabbies and maniac buses. Not to mention all the angry chicago drivers.
I drove with a boyfriend during M1 year. He always stored his bike as soon as it got cold. There's no way you can drive from late oct to early april.

just be very careful. :luck:

Hey, thanks for the advice. Yeah, I was figuring that I would just store it during the winter. I guess I just want to keep it for my sanity and an escape from the city.

So far I have not received my site assignment yet, but my status page showed that the school already received my accepting form and deposit on 04/12. I wonder do I need to call them up regarding to that? or it usually take longer for them to respond?

p.s. I have not sent out my transcripts and Hep B form. Are those what they need before they send out the site assignment? How about financial aid info?

flyingblue said:
So far I have not received my site assignment yet, but my status page showed that the school already received my accepting form and deposit on 04/12. I wonder do I need to call them up regarding to that? or it usually take longer for them to respond?

p.s. I have not sent out my transcripts and Hep B form. Are those what they need before they send out the site assignment? How about financial aid info?

just wait a few days; it's coming.

No, they dont require the Hep B forms or Transcripts before they give you your site assignment. They just want the money, and even that Im not positive about. All I sent them was a check and the card. Mine took exactly one week to get back to me from when I dropped it off personally.

flyingblue said:

We have until July to send those other forms in... do the transcripts have to be official?

BerkeleyMD said:
We have until July to send those other forms in... do the transcripts have to be official?
I think the transcripts need to be official. I will check the packet when I get home unless someone else knows.
Flyingblue...UIC received my check and site card on April 12th and I received my assignment on Saturday (15th). It should get to you today or tomorrow! ;) I am in Cali by the way.

It is good to know that uic is such a cali friendly school. Whew!

HA...thanks guys for all your considerate answers. I got the site assignment today, it's UPR-Rockford. Although it's not Chicago, I am still happy about this site. The one I really don't want to go is Peoria(sp?). BTW, I am from Cali too. = ) living at San Jose right now (North Cal)

thinknofu3 said:
Ok, so I'm going to preface this by saying it's a second hand anecdote, but I figure I'll offer it anyway...

One of my best friends is good friends with an M1 at Rush - and they went out for her (the M1's) birthday with a bunch of her classmates. My friend said all these students were the biggest drunkards she'd ever seen - complete with students puking in the corner. She said she'd never want any of those people to be her doctor.

Like I said, it's a secondhand anecdote :) But besides that, UIC rocks. And its way cheaper. And you have way more clinical sites to choose from, and a much wider patient base. And - you'll have a bigger (and better) network after you graduate - 1 in 6 physicians in IL is a UIC grad, and from what the docs I know have told me, fellow alums are always really ready and willing to help each other out...
Damn ur anecdote just made me want to go to Rush = (

Help me out here

YAY CALI PEOPLE!!! Anyone planning to drive to IL from cali? If so, PM me. Maybe we can uhaul pool ;) .

Hi guys,

I've called admissions, who directed me to immunizations, who directed me to the OSA, who then told me to call admissions. :mad:

I'm looking for a definitive answer to the Hepatitis B question:

I got a Hep B shot before starting college in June 1995, and I know I will have to start the series over. I have an appointment to do this in May, but it's obvious that I won't have all 3 when I start school.

Question: How many Hep B shots do you have to have on record before you can satisfy their pre-enrollment requirements?

I COMPLETELY FORGOT...the transcripts need to be official. Remember that they are due July 3. Plan for mailing time!
"A. An official transcript is defined as one sent directly to the Office of Medical College Admissions from your college or university with the institutional seal."

medicomel said:
Hi guys,

I've called admissions, who directed me to immunizations, who directed me to the OSA, who then told me to call admissions. :mad:

I'm looking for a definitive answer to the Hepatitis B question:

I got a Hep B shot before starting college in June 1995, and I know I will have to start the series over. I have an appointment to do this in May, but it's obvious that I won't have all 3 when I start school.

Question: How many Hep B shots do you have to have on record before you can satisfy their pre-enrollment requirements?
Hi Medicomel!
I really hope this helps you. I found this in the acceptance packet... "Questions regarding your immunization status can be directed to:
Office of Medical Immunization Records
Room 1300 Student Services Building
1200 West Harrison Street

mailing address:
Medical Immunization Records (MC 018)
Box 5220
Chicago, IL 60680-5220

Phone:
312-413-0464
(OH: M-F 8:30am-4:45pm) "

Thanks Dr. Choc! I just got off the phone with a woman who told me that only one shot is needed to register, and as I get the other two, I have to send in subsequent copies. So the Hep B form will look like this:

White copy: filled out by health care professional regarding first shot (Send to Admissions)

Yellow copy:filled out by health care professional regarding second shot (Send to Admissions)

Pink copy: filled out by health care professional regarding third shot (Send to the Office of Student Affairs)

Does anyone know if the students in the UMed program get any form of a scholarship?

wannabmed said:
Does anyone know if the students in the UMed program get any form of a scholarship?
I was wondering the same thing...that would be nice. I am assuming you are one of the thirty that made it past the inital pre-screening. Good luck! :luck:

dr.choc said:
I was wondering the same thing...that would be nice. I am assuming you are one of the thirty that made it past the inital pre-screening. Good luck! :luck:

Yep, we're in the same boat :) I'm an OOS applicant, so due to the super high tuition price I'm trying to decide if I should send a letter of intent to my state school (where I'm waitlisted)?? I would really prefer to go to UIC, but the cost is pretty insane for OOSers. So if UMed students do get some kind of tuition break that would be awesome!! ;)

So has the initial application deadline for UMed come and gone? I was waiting to see if I got my track change before I applied since I don't believe the program is offered at the satellite campuses.

UPR PEOPLE- LISTEN UP

Unless you have a VERY GOOD reason (as detailed in a previous post) YOU WILL NOT, I repeat, WILL NOT be transferred. I'm sorry for the reality-check, but it's just that we had the same type of stuff floating around on this thread last year and it really irritated me. In fact, I highly recommend people on the UPR track start their own thread, b/c most of the posts they make are regarding transfers (or include something about a transfer). You need to start talking about housing at Urbana, life at Urbana, important stuff like that, rather than the near IMPOSSIBILITY that you will be transferred.

sga814 said:
UPR PEOPLE- LISTEN UP

Unless you have a VERY GOOD reason (as detailed in a previous post) YOU WILL NOT, I repeat, WILL NOT be transferred. I'm sorry for the reality-check, but it's just that we had the same type of stuff floating around on this thread last year and it really irritated me. In fact, I highly recommend people on the UPR track start their own thread, b/c most of the posts they make are regarding transfers (or include something about a transfer). You need to start talking about housing at Urbana, life at Urbana, important stuff like that, rather than the near IMPOSSIBILITY that you will be transferred.
I highly recommend you stick to the class of 2009 thread. What is really irritating is that you come to another thread that is not yours and complain that you are irritated by stuff that doesn't concern you.

sux2bu said:
I highly recommend you stick to the class of 2009 thread. What is really irritating is that you come to another thread that is not yours and complain that you are irritated by stuff that doesn't concern you.

I'll assume you're on the UPR track if you took that to mean something offensive. I'm just trying to help prevent what happened last year. The point is- you're in medical school, no need to have a problem w/UPR track unless the concern is serious.

--------------------------

Anyways, I'd like to share a good study strategy I've discovered at UIC for you'all to keep in mind for next year: except for Costanzo Physiology, Lippincott's Biochemistry, and Gray's Anatomy, DON'T use textbooks (for the most part). Use co-ops (note-taking service), going to lecture, and going through the material as soon as you can, same day preferably.. then again b/f the test (along w/old tests/quizzes). This is the most high-yield method of studying at UIC. I changed my strategy from textbook-intense to this method during the spring, and found that I've been destroying more and more exams. This is b/c only material covered in lecture is on tests.

peace

dr.choc said:
I COMPLETELY FORGOT...the transcripts need to be official. Remember that they are due July 3. Plan for mailing time!
"A. An official transcript is defined as one sent directly to the Office of Medical College Admissions from your college or university with the institutional seal."

thanks choc!

as for that uhaul... I might be shipping my car out loaded with stuff, but the rest of the furniture might be cheaper to buy there.

uhauls get expensive. i think it cost me ~300 bucks for a small a$$ uhaul rental and it was only for 200 miles, we are talking 2000+miles.

sga814 said:
Anyways, I'd like to share a good study strategy I've discovered at UIC for you'all to keep in mind for next year: except for Costanzo Physiology, Lippincott's Biochemistry, and Gray's Anatomy, DON'T use textbooks (for the most part). Use co-ops (note-taking service), going to lecture, and going through the material as soon as you can, same day preferably.. then again b/f the test (along w/old tests/quizzes). This is the most high-yield method of studying at UIC. I changed my strategy from textbook-intense to this method during the spring, and found that I've been destroying more and more exams. This is b/c only material covered in lecture is on tests.

peace

Thanks SGA!

I don't agree with this. I know quite a few people (M1-M4 and beyond) that were assigned to UPR but were switched to Chicago at some point in the summer. Last year many people were switched due to the class being too large (and its easier in Chicago to accommodate people), but in years previous the class size was not a problem yet people were switched for no good reason at all. Just like some people on this thread turned in their site preference card after others yet still got the Chicago track (while those who turned it in earlier got UPR), UIC is rather random. I'm quite close with the Dean of Admissions and I know for sure you don't always need a good reason to transfer. Of course, a good reason will help. :thumbup:

sga814 said:
UPR PEOPLE- LISTEN UP

chitown82 said:
I don't agree with this. I know quite a few people (M1-M4 and beyond) that were assigned to UPR but were switched to Chicago at some point in the summer. Last year many people were switched due to the class being too large (and its easier in Chicago to accommodate people), but in years previous the class size was not a problem yet people were switched for no good reason at all. Just like some people on this thread turned in their site preference card after others yet still got the Chicago track (while those who turned it in earlier got UPR), UIC is rather random. I'm quite close with the Dean of Admissions and I know for sure you don't always need a good reason to transfer. Of course, a good reason will help. :thumbup:

Now- I highly doubt that when most of the class on the UPR wants to be transferred, that the selection is random. Trust me on this one man- I've discussed this subject in excruciating detail w/ Dean Girotti. And other people I know very well have done the same. What he will tell you on a casual basis is NOT REPRESENTATIVE of what his actual actions. And about that person who interviewed later and still got Chicago track- I'm sure numbers played some sort of role. And about that Chicago can accomodate more- well they may be able to... but that is CERTAINLY NOT WHAT DEAN GIROTTI WILL TELL YOU IF YOU REQUEST TO BE TRANSFERRED... HE WILL SAY SOMETHING LIKE, "OUR CLASS IS FILLED, YOU CAN WAIT FOR PEOPLE TO WITHDRAW BEFORE YOU ARE TRANSFERRED". :thumbdown:

If you can't tell- I seriously disrespect Dean Girotti for the way he treats people who really have a good reason to be transferred vs. people who have good connections. Although I do respect him for bringing diversity to UIC.

sga814 said:
Now- I highly doubt that when most of the class on the UPR wants to be transferred, that the selection is random. Trust me on this one man- I've discussed this subject in excruciating detail w/ Dean Girotti.

well, I'm a UPR person who does NOT want to be transferred. How 'bout them apples? Although, in all fairness, I really have no particular connections to Chicago or Illinois for that matter (unlike a lot of people on this forum, as I understand). So I decided to let it be, since I'll be away from home in either case. So uhm, I think UPR will be cool (and I'm sure there's plenty of lurkers here who will back me up on this). Reading all of sga814's posts, (no offense dude) made me kinda nervous--it's really not such a life-and-death issue for everyone. I mean, people with real issues usually get accomodated. Not everyone in UPR wants out.

im quite close with girotti (went to his bday at his house this past year! :)) so most of what he tells me i believe. all im saying is that you don't always need a good reason to transfer contrary to what you said. i know plenty of students who didnt have connections or good reasons yet got transferred - i would call that random and so would they! whatever games UIC may play when transferring some students suck (i agree), but not everyone who gets transferred were a part of some underhanded scheme/motive

sga814 said:
Now- I highly doubt that when most of the class on the UPR wants to be transferred, that the selection is random. Trust me on this one man- I've discussed this subject in excruciating detail w/ Dean Girotti. And other people I know very well have done the same. What he will tell you on a casual basis is NOT REPRESENTATIVE of what his actual actions. And about that person who interviewed later and still got Chicago track- I'm sure numbers played some sort of role. And about that Chicago can accomodate more- well they may be able to... but that is CERTAINLY NOT WHAT DEAN GIROTTI WILL TELL YOU IF YOU REQUEST TO BE TRANSFERRED... HE WILL SAY SOMETHING LIKE, "OUR CLASS IS FILLED, YOU CAN WAIT FOR PEOPLE TO WITHDRAW BEFORE YOU ARE TRANSFERRED". :thumbdown:

If you can't tell- I seriously disrespect Dean Girotti for the way he treats people who really have a good reason to be transferred vs. people who have good connections. Although I do respect him for bringing diversity to UIC.

chitown82 said:
im quite close with girotti (went to his bday at his house this past year! :)) so most of what he tells me i believe. all im saying is that you don't always need a good reason to transfer contrary to what you said. i know plenty of students who didnt have connections or good reasons yet got transferred - i would call that random and so would they! whatever games UIC may play when transferring some students suck (i agree), but not everyone who gets transferred were a part of some underhanded scheme/motive

Did you ever think that those students aren't disclosing the reasons for their transfer to you? If I had a good connection, I certainly wouldn't even tell my friends- cause that's a bit embarassing. And if you are that close w/ girotti, why don't you just ask him straight up how students manage to get transferred.
If he says, like you say, "you don't always need a reason", well that's a bunch of bs. And I have first hand experience, PM me if you want the vivid details. And once again- I KNOW the ad office HAD A WAIT LIST OF ABOUT 100 students to be transferred- 19 of whom managed to get the transfer. I highly doubt this selection was random- sometimes you have to be a bit cynical- cause in this world, and especially at UIC and many medical organizations- the saying "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" goes a LONG WAY. :thumbup:

md2010??? said:
sga814 said:
Now- I highly doubt that when most of the class on the UPR wants to be transferred, that the selection is random. Trust me on this one man- I've discussed this subject in excruciating detail w/ Dean Girotti.

well, I'm a UPR person who does NOT want to be transferred. How 'bout them apples? Although, in all fairness, I really have no particular connections to Chicago or Illinois for that matter (unlike a lot of people on this forum, as I understand). So I decided to let it be, since I'll be away from home in either case. So uhm, I think UPR will be cool (and I'm sure there's plenty of lurkers here who will back me up on this). Reading all of sga814's posts, (no offense dude) made me kinda nervous--it's really not such a life-and-death issue for everyone. I mean, people with real issues usually get accomodated. Not everyone in UPR wants out.

Read above post, dude- 100 people were on the wait list last year- making 25 people those who did not want to transfer- I'd say that's "most".

100 transfer requests doesn't necessarily imply only 25 remaining. It seems more likely that those who didn't get their transfer requests might have chosen an alternative school (supposing they had the option) if they couldn't get the track they wanted. I'm not denying that the majority probably do prefer chicago, I just hope its not the case that 80% of the people in the UPR track aren't there by choice...

sga814 said:
md2010??? said:
Read above post, dude- 100 people were on the wait list last year- making 25 people those who did not want to transfer- I'd say that's "most".

well, I guess you do have a point there, sga814 . (Although, for the record, I was being semi-facetious in that last post.)

I had no idea that so many people in the UPR track wanted to transfer!! I guess if I had first been assigned to Chicago, I would not have opted for UPR myself. I guess it's because Chicago's a much more exciting place to be (at least it seemed to me when I interviewed there). But that and personal/family issues aside, is there a particular reason most people are soo determined to get into Chicago? I'm thinking about the academics in particular. It's hard to tell the tone of these posts, but it's a genuine question. I feel like I'm missing something here.

Academically, no. I have what I feel are qualifying reasons to wish for a transfer. As for the education, I think it'd be equivalent at any of the campuses.

People want Chicago b/c it's not surrounded by cow dung (e.g. it's a freakin city- you tell me the reasons why you'd rather live an urban area over a rural area, and those are the exact reasons why people want Chicago).

On a side note, back in Anatomy lab when we were doing thorax, we found that many of the cadavers had black, hardened lymph nodes around the lungs. When we asked the prof if there was some pathology involved, he said, "No, they were probably urban dwellers."

So think about that one for a while (maybe Urbana ain't so bad ;) ).

thinknofu3 said:
Are you planning on coming to the second look on April 28th?

Yay I got the second look email today. I think I'll be going! i wonder how many people will be there. where's the NU party gonna be? hehe :p see you there!

i just RSVP'd! i thought i wasn't going to go, but now i'm really psyched to meet my future classmates.