UIC Class of 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
BerkeleyMD said:
Hey! Congrats on Chicago. Are you from out of state??

nope, i'm about an hr away from chicago. i feel so lucky that i got chicago track, maybe cuz ppl are withdrawing at this time?

haha i see a few NU grads...i am too

i liked how one of my interviewers bashed NU med haha he was awesome

Members don't see this ad.

rubberduckmd said:
just got my site assignment today!! Chicago campus!! yay!! :)

hello future classmates ;)
If I may ask, when did you interview and submit your site preference card? Did you also send in a letter stating why you are requesting a particular campus? Thanks

DelMarSD said:
If I may ask, when did you interview and submit your site preference card? Did you also send in a letter stating why you are requesting a particular campus? Thanks

hahaha i interviewed march 13 :eek: ...submitted the card right when i got it..march 29?? and no i did not send a letter.

one of my friends interviewed in January and got UPR track..so i guess i was very lucky

Members don't see this ad :)
Do we receive our campus assignments through the mail? For the California people (or other out of state people)...how long did it take for them to get back to you?

dr.choc said:
Do we receive our campus assignments through the mail? For the California people (or other out of state people)...how long did it take for them to get back to you?
It took around 4 or 5 days after the status page said a "final decision has been made", and it came in a big white envelope.

i just got my assignment today. i interviewed march 10 and was accepted march 27 and turned in my site preference the next day but i was assigned to rockford. i see that a person here interviewed march 13 but still got chicago track. kinda messed up. is there a procedure for reassignments if say i were to find someone ready to switch with me? are you guys/gals aware of anything like that.

if rubberduckmd is an URM.. then I am not surprised about the Chicago Track assignment.. otherwise- connection or weird twist of luck...

to tell you the truth- the only thing worthwhile about the Chicago track is the anatomy professor, Dr.Lieska (as I've said before- he's probably the best prof you'll have in your life).... otherwise, I bet the professors at Urbana are superior to the ones here b/c more basic science research money is funneled down there and hence I'd assume... better professors are attracted..

also... the city is NOISY and DIRTY, in fact I'm moving out of my apartment and will try living in the burbs for a year and see if that works out...

urbana is like pure fresh air, quiet and cleanliness- a great study environment.

so don't fret about the track crap- in the end it's all the same.

So rubberduckmd, you're an NU grad - can I ask what year? You're the third one on this thread...we have a McCormick '05, and I myself am WCAS '06. We can have ourselves a little NU party (of course, everyone else is invited too!) Are you planning on coming to the second look on April 28th?

sga814 said:
if rubberduckmd is an URM.. then I am not surprised about the Chicago Track assignment.. otherwise- connection or weird twist of luck...

to tell you the truth- the only thing worthwhile about the Chicago track is the anatomy professor, Dr.Lieska (as I've said before- he's probably the best prof you'll have in your life).... otherwise, I bet the professors at Urbana are superior to the ones here b/c more basic science research money is funneled down there and hence I'd assume... better professors are attracted..

also... the city is NOISY and DIRTY, in fact I'm moving out of my apartment and will try living in the burbs for a year and see if that works out...

urbana is like pure fresh air, quiet and cleanliness- a great study environment.

so don't fret about the track crap- in the end it's all the same.
Are you sure you like UIC at Chicago? From the sound of your reply...It just sounds like you aren't happy with your choice. Is there something we should know before we commit? You would know better than most, so PLEASE don't hold back. Tell us the ABSOLUTE truth! Why would URMs get preference at Chicago (unless they applied to the UMed Curriculum)?:confused:

thinknofu3 said:
So rubberduckmd, you're an NU grad - can I ask what year? You're the third one on this thread...we have a McCormick '05, and I myself am WCAS '06. We can have ourselves a little NU party (of course, everyone else is invited too!) Are you planning on coming to the second look on April 28th?

i was SOC (communication) '05 i graduated a yr early haha we're all from diff schools..
and..i wasn't invited to second look..how sad.. :(

sga814 said:

is it bad that i don't even know what URM is? :confused: and..i have no connections at UIC..

and you're right..chicago is dirty etc etc...i want to be in chicago b/c of family, friends, and food :) but i'm sure UPR might be more appealing to someone else..

it's all good! we're all gonna be doctors in the end! :D

dr.choc said:
Are you sure you like UIC at Chicago? From the sound of your reply...It just sounds like you aren't happy with your choice. Is there something we should know before we commit? You would know better than most, so PLEASE don't hold back. Tell us the ABSOLUTE truth! Why would URMs get preference at Chicago (unless they applied to the UMed Curriculum)?:confused:

This is exactly what I was thinking, this person seems pretty bitter, extremely bitter.

pico61 said:
This is exactly what I was thinking, this person seems pretty bitter, extremely bitter.

second that emotion.

Members don't see this ad :)
rubberduckmd said:
is it bad that i don't even know what URM is? :confused: and..i have no connections at UIC..

and you're right..chicago is dirty etc etc...i want to be in chicago b/c of family, friends, and food :) but i'm sure UPR might be more appealing to someone else..

it's all good! we're all gonna be doctors in the end! :D

no no no...Chicago rocks! proximity and affordability of public transportation is key. now if only 1BR apts in the area weren't so darn $$$. is anybody having any luck with finding places? i just started looking around, and i've got to say $600 isn't going to cut it living anywhere relatively close (and safe) to the med school.

medicomel said:
no no no...Chicago rocks! proximity and affordability of public transportation is key. now if only 1BR apts in the area weren't so darn $$$. is anybody having any luck with finding places? i just started looking around, and i've got to say $600 isn't going to cut it living anywhere relatively close (and safe) to the med school.
Have you checked the schools off campus housing list? I don't have access to it just yet. I have been searching through roommates.com. Unfortunately, I have no freaking clue what the areas are like (i.e.NW vs South...etc). If you are familiar with Chicago, you may have better luck. I found some really great prices too. They are mostly rooms in houses. You could also look on Craigslist.

to all: I am not bitter, just realistic... if realism=bitterness to you, then so be it

Chicago is perfectly fine, I'm just telling you- dirty and noisy... so what I was saying was- it might not be all that bad if you're getting a different track

there is no need to attack people such as myself who are trying to help you guys

URM= under-represented minority (eg. NOT white, asian, indian/pakistani, etc)

also, I am NU WCAS '05.. go Wildcats!

peace

sga814 said:
to all: I am not bitter, just realistic... if realism=bitterness to you, then so be it

Chicago is perfectly fine, I'm just telling you- dirty and noisy... so what I was saying was- it might not be all that bad if you're getting a different track

there is no need to attack people such as myself who are trying to help you guys

peace

Ok All, I have learned that you can't confidently gauge tone or emotional intent in most emails. I think we can all be assured that everyone on this site is hear to communicate and share information. So let us just assume we are all on the same page so to speak. I'm looking forward to meeting you all this fall and I'm getting a lot of good information from this thread, tone well taken or not.

Looking forward to our first drink together people!

sga814 said:

peace
I just need to correct one little thing...I was NOT attacking anybody. None of the other replies attacked you either. I don't have time for that. From the flow of your reply it just seemed like you weren't happy. I appreciate "realistic", but I WILL ask if I sense something wrong. I am sorry that you felt attacked, but that was me being "realistic". :cool:

kitsy said:
Ok All, I have learned that you can't confidently gauge tone or emotional intent in most emails. I think we can all be assured that everyone on this site is hear to communicate and share information. So let us just assume we are all on the same page so to speak. I'm looking forward to meeting you all this fall and I'm getting a lot of good information from this thread, tone well taken or not.

Looking forward to our first drink together people!

A toast to getting accepted to one of the largest medical schools in the woooorrrrlllldddd! (just being dramatic) :p

It's only the biggest if count all the campuses together... seeing that people among the campuses don't really interact much (except at graduation), and that they are decreasing the class size slightly for next year... it's more like a "medium-sized" school.

Oh, and my advice for people from Cali- bring a large variety of layered clothing/coats to campus, b/c there's nothing as entertaining as watching you guys adjust to Chicago winters ;) .

sga814 said:
Oh, and my advice for people from Cali- bring a large variety of layered clothing/coats to campus, b/c there's nothing as entertaining as watching you guys adjust to Chicago winters ;) .

:smuggrin: realistic and sadistic :smuggrin:

sga814 said:
It's only the biggest if count all the campuses together... seeing that people among the campuses don't really interact much (except at graduation), and that they are decreasing the class size slightly for next year... it's more like a "medium-sized" school.

People from California actually go to Chicago thinking they can dress the same way?! That is craziness!!!! I would be entertained with that one too :laugh: . WoW!

dr.choc said:
People from California actually go to Chicago thinking they can dress the same way?! That is craziness!!!! I would be entertained with that one too :laugh: . WoW!
Yeah by the way, what's a coat? And where's the best surf around Chicago?

DelMarSD said:
Yeah by the way, what's a coat? And where's the best surf around Chicago?
Like yeah duuuuude hehe ! The best surf is downtown in the middle of a blizzard. Last one there is a hot tamale. :laugh::D

dr.choc said:
Like yeah duuuuude hehe ! The best surf is downtown in the middle of a blizzard. Last one there is a hot tamale. :laugh::D
Blizzard's huh? What are those?

I'm surprised that people would think that being part of an URM (under represented minority) would land them the Chicago track. On the contrary I am an URM and I wasn't assigned to that so I don't know if that theory applies here although I can completely understand why people's thoughts would be along those lines :) .

Since I'm assigned to the UPR track. Is there a second-look day for urbana campus and the rockford campus if any of you are aware off. I would like to take a trip down there and was hoping I would find a couple of people and maybe go together. I live in a NW suburb of Chicago. I haven't received anything officially from UIC yet about that. PM me if anybody has received anything regarding the UPR visits.

hahaha!

you guys won't be laughing when you come to experience Chicago's winter!!! :)
A few of buddies are from Cali and Florida.... trust me- they'd agree!!!

hello my little M1 buddies. I'm a UIC chicago M4 gradumicating this may. I just thought I'd say good luck in August and PM me with any questions you may have. :p

eram said:
Two words: Dairy Queen
I love it. It's really comforting to know my future classmates seem to have a great sense of humor :)

eram said:
Two words: Dairy Queen
Daaaaiiirrrrryyyy Queeeennnnn yuuummmmmm!

oh man...i could really go for an oreo blizzard right now. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Help

I can't decide between UIC and Rush, but I think Rush is moving to the top of my list. What are the good reasons you chose UIC?

chef_NU said:
Help

I can't decide between UIC and Rush, but I think Rush is moving to the top of my list. What are the good reasons you chose UIC?
Oreo Blizzards, what else. Oh yeah, and they accepted me.

that, and the people are way better looking. :p

Yummy...oreooooooo bliiiiiizzaaaaarrrrrd!!!! I have to agree with the better looking comment. That's why we were accepted duh!
Seriously...what about Rush makes it more attractive to you chef_NU. I think both Rush and UIC are wonderful schools to choose between. How did you feel after you interviewed at each?

Ok, this is off the oreo blizzard subject, but I'm meeting with Congressman McDermott on Tuesday. I live in Seattle right now and he is our Rep. I'm not sure if you all are too familiar with him, but he is a big advocate for public health, etc.... oh yeah and that whole "Baghdad Jim" thing, oh and the "taping Newt Gingrich" thing.

Anyway, he graduated from UIC Medical school and did some work in the medical corps in Zaire, before doing the political thing. I'm pretty excited to get to meet with him. I'll let you know anything he has to say about the school and public policy in general. If anyone has specific, appropriate, questions let me know. I'm trying to figure out what the heck I'm going to say to him. I'm a little shocked he wants to meet with me.

kitsy said:
Ok, this is off the oreo blizzard subject, but I'm meeting with Congressman McDermott on Tuesday. I live in Seattle right now and he is our Rep. I'm not sure if you all are too familiar with him, but he is a big advocate for public health, etc.... oh yeah and that whole "Baghdad Jim" thing, oh and the "taping Newt Gingrich" thing.

Anyway, he graduated from UIC Medical school and did some work in the medical corps in Zaire, before doing the political thing. I'm pretty excited to get to meet with him. I'll let you know anything he has to say about the school and public policy in general. If anyone has specific, appropriate, questions let me know. I'm trying to figure out what the heck I'm going to say to him. I'm a little shocked he wants to meet with me.
That is pretty cool Kitsy. I would like to know more about his trip to Zaire. Oh yes...ask him to give us scholarships to cover the out of state tuition ;) . Have fun!

dr.choc said:
That is pretty cool Kitsy. I would like to know more about his trip to Zaire. Oh yes...ask him to give us scholarships to cover the out of state tuition ;) . Have fun!
Yeah, I know what you mean about the tuition. Unfortunately he just got hit with a $700,000 fine for the whole Newt Gingrich phone tapping thing so he might be asking me for money. You should check out his biography on the US Representative web page. No matter what your politics, he's a pretty cool guy from a public health perspective. He started the Basic Health program, a program for those who can't afford health care in Washington State and I am going to ask him more about his experience in Africa.

I'm pretty excited about it.

chef_NU said:
Help

Ok, so I'm going to preface this by saying it's a second hand anecdote, but I figure I'll offer it anyway...

One of my best friends is good friends with an M1 at Rush - and they went out for her (the M1's) birthday with a bunch of her classmates. My friend said all these students were the biggest drunkards she'd ever seen - complete with students puking in the corner. She said she'd never want any of those people to be her doctor.

Like I said, it's a secondhand anecdote :) But besides that, UIC rocks. And its way cheaper. And you have way more clinical sites to choose from, and a much wider patient base. And - you'll have a bigger (and better) network after you graduate - 1 in 6 physicians in IL is a UIC grad, and from what the docs I know have told me, fellow alums are always really ready and willing to help each other out...

wow, that drinking scenario was pretty illuminating! :eek:
i'm sure it's not representative of the entire student body, but still...

i chose UIC over both Rush and Loyola because the students seemed more down to earth and laid back. it's just my opinion, though. also, i've heard time and time again that the clinical years are what make choosing UIC worth it.

thinknofu3 said:
Ok, so I'm going to preface this by saying it's a second hand anecdote, but I figure I'll offer it anyway...

One of my best friends is good friends with an M1 at Rush - and they went out for her (the M1's) birthday with a bunch of her classmates. My friend said all these students were the biggest drunkards she'd ever seen - complete with students puking in the corner. She said she'd never want any of those people to be her doctor.

I have to chime in here (even during my very busy 4th year, ahem) and say don't be too judgemental. I have wonderful friends at rush who are going to be truly great docs. That being said I would not trade my experience at uic-com for anything.
You WILL see a fair share of very heavy drinking in M1 year and especially at 'class functions' - it's a VERY stressfull time and a transition time for those who had it relatively easier in college and had time to party. Most people do figure it out and there are plenty of non-drinking folks in class too. There is a LOT of judgement going on in med-school, most having to do with feeling insecure (because EVERYONE does) but just know that you will have both terrible and shining moments and hopefully people will cheer you on during both times.
While I have never seen a uic student puke, I know that it has happened (human nature) and have heard rumors about drugs - but that will be in every school. I did hear of a buddy of mine puking in a bathroom at match day - but you might well understand that one ;). ( he didn't match where he wanted)

Whatever the case, med school will be a great experience wherever you are, there will be plenty of times that your classmates will disappoint you and plenty where you will feel proud... either way it's YOUR experience and not thiers that counts - so make the most of it.

Good luck!!! :D

this is a great post! thank you! i'm going to save it. :thumbup:

I think that you partied with the current M1 class at UIC, you'd probably feel the same way about a particular section of the class. Personally, I think UIC is great - the opportunities are endless. However, I, for one, don't really like my M1 class all that much.

thinknofu3 said:

Like I said, it's a secondhand anecdote :) But besides that, UIC rocks. And its way cheaper. And you have way more clinical sites to choose from, and a much wider patient base. And - you'll have a bigger (and better) network after you graduate - 1 in 6 physicians in IL is a UIC grad, and from what the docs I know have told me, fellow alums are always really ready and willing to help each other out...

Just in case some of you have checked out the online curriculum, I just wanted to let you all know that your M1 year will be structured very very differently from classes previous to yours. UIC seems to be moving towards the direction of integrating all of your class, and hence, the sequencing of your class schedule will be very different than before. The general theme is to be studying all of one organ system at a given time (Anatomy - thorax (heart); Physio - cardiovascular phys; Histology - heart, circ system, etc.) One of the biggest changes in my opinion is Anatomy. We started our anatomy class the week we began school and ended right before Spring Break. This has left us with only four classes after spring break and for most of us, its been smooth sailing. At present, the classes are easy and you really don't have to study al all every day (or in my case, at all this week). For your class, anatomy will begin in October and go until the end of the year. Also, instead of having anatomy and embryology intertwined, you will have embryo as soon as you start classes and it will finish by the time anatomy ends. Personally, I feel bad for your class. I would absolutely hate having anatomy right now and it would make for a much more difficult term. All in all, the idea of integration is good but the actual set up sucks.

oh man, that sucks- Class of 2010- YOU ARE THE GUINEA PIGS!!!!! I actually didn't mind the old (heh- current) curriculum, I just kinda wish someone told me how I should be studying from the getgo. So they're starting anatomy in October??? Hm, that sucks even more- who came up with that crap??? There's nothing like sweating your balls off in formaldehyderific lab during August, especially when you have absolutely no clue what you're doing (ah... the memories). I guess organ system approach is good, but I kinda thought the classes were parallel for the most part anyway... I guess the only class I thought was complete BS was nutrition- that should have been part of biochem. Well- I hope the M2 curriculum stays the same though, otherwise I'd have to toss any advice I get from current M2's.

Chitown82- you took this week off?? man, I took this week and last week off, but think I may start studying again tonight. Hopefully I'll get to third base with Linda Costanzo*.

*for you pre-M1's: Costanzo is the author of best Physio book ever.

sga814 said:
oh man, that sucks- Class of 2010- YOU ARE THE GUINEA PIGS!!!!! I actually didn't mind the old (heh- current) curriculum, I just kinda wish someone told me how I should be studying from the getgo. So they're starting anatomy in October??? Hm, that sucks even more- who came up with that crap??? There's nothing like sweating your balls off in formaldehyderific lab during August, especially when you have absolutely no clue what you're doing (ah... the memories). I guess organ system approach is good, but I kinda thought the classes were parallel for the most part anyway... I guess the only class I thought was complete BS was nutrition- that should have been part of biochem. Well- I hope the M2 curriculum stays the same though, otherwise I'd have to toss any advice I get from current M2's.

Chitown82- you took this week off?? man, I took this week and last week off, but think I may start studying again tonight. Hopefully I'll get to third base with Linda Costanzo*.
*for you pre-M1's: Costanzo is the author of best Physio book ever.
Wow...have fun with that ;) . Geez...I'd rather be a hamster than a guniea pig! Seems like med school is going to be a lot like my grad program. Fun! At least I won't be the only one balding :D .

chitown82 said:
Just in case some of you have checked out the online curriculum, I just wanted to let you all know that your M1 year will be structured very very differently from classes previous to yours. UIC seems to be moving towards the direction of integrating all of your class, and hence, the sequencing of your class schedule will be very different than before. The general theme is to be studying all of one organ system at a given time (Anatomy - thorax (heart); Physio - cardiovascular phys; Histology - heart, circ system, etc.) One of the biggest changes in my opinion is Anatomy. We started our anatomy class the week we began school and ended right before Spring Break. This has left us with only four classes after spring break and for most of us, its been smooth sailing. At present, the classes are easy and you really don't have to study al all every day (or in my case, at all this week). For your class, anatomy will begin in October and go until the end of the year. Also, instead of having anatomy and embryology intertwined, you will have embryo as soon as you start classes and it will finish by the time anatomy ends. Personally, I feel bad for your class. I would absolutely hate having anatomy right now and it would make for a much more difficult term. All in all, the idea of integration is good but the actual set up sucks.

Huh? So, basically for us, it will start off easy and pick up in October when we add Anatomy. Instead of smooth sailing at the end wouldn't we be surfing at the beginning, right? What do you mean by the end of the year? This year Or the school year?

Is there a link to the current schedule?

is there a special procedure for appealing track assignments? I need to be in chicago for family reasons. please let me know how this can be done. if there is someone ready to switch, would UICCOM allow the two of us to switch assigments?? just lookin for the correct info.