UIC Class of 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
mm6274263 said:
Hey all!

I'm a current M1 and I'd like to offer you this link for all your housing needs:
http://www.housing.uic.edu/offcampus/

I live on campus right now and will just keep my room for next year. That said the campus housing is not the best and if you can go off campus, preferablly around Ogden or Loomis, then go for it!!

The housing for med students and other health prof students is SSR with its one repeating floor plan and no single room apartments or suites. If you want convenience, it's perfect but expensive. The apartments actually have decent living space, the suites are MUCH smaller!

Honestly though, stop worrying about it! You've got the summer for that.

If you need some other stuff answered PM me or just post on this thread.
And congratulations!

Do nice apts get taken up quick in the early summer/late spring? I know in the Berkeley area nothing decent is left in July/August.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, it's the same here. Universal truth.

People leaving their appartments start posting their ads around spring break, which is now. Though class of 2009 was much bigger than expected and the housing office couldn't place them all, so some got to live in hotels. Don't remember which ones though.

Everyone usually does either get a place outside which is better or they get assigned a cubbyhole by housing. It's a crapshoot either way.

Hey guys we have orientation on august 7th through the 12th; that is just around the corner.

Members don't see this ad :)
just now got back to this thread... internship is annoying. as for the transfer policy within clinical sites @ uic... the preclinical years are different between chicago and UPR, so switching during them is pretty much verboten... so, the time you can switch from CHicago to UPR and vice versa is the interlude between M2 and M3.

in addition, the switch policy basically boils down to this: you can switch if you find someone to take your place. so, if you can talk someone in chicago into leaving and going to U/P/R, then you can get away with it... hopefully, though, FF and myself have disabused anyone of the notion that rockford is anything to be unhappy about.

-t,md

Ombatay said:
No, I don't believe they allow transfers back to chicago after M1 year, as the teaching approaches are slightly different... something of that nature.

I talked with someone in administration and they said that it is not true that you can switch tracks if you find someone who will switch with you. Too bad, it sounded like a good plan.

busthwt said:
Hey guys we have orientation on august 7th through the 12th; that is just around the corner.
Dude, I know...it's going to be a really short summer for me considering that Northwestern's graduation is June 16th. I'm going overseas for 3 weeks with my family after that, and then I have less than 3 weeks before orientation begins. It's very exciting, but also a little nervewracking. Anybody else feel the same?

mm6274263 said:
To eram:

I interviewed for the MD/PhD program and I went to UIUC as well as UIC. Urbana is pretty mellow and is a LOT quieter than Chicago but the buildings are nice.

Chicago just got that awesome rec center which I use without fail everday. Also I think the program staff here are nicer but that's a personal preference. The brand new research building recently opened its doors across the street from CMW. And then there's the fMRI Beast and the kick ass neuro program.

I didn't take the PhD track ultimately, I felt the burden of my advanced years and didn't want the added time towards a degree that wouldn't serve me much other than some extra initials at the end of my name.

UIC is poor but better than UPitt in my opinion. So if you're considering the extended dual degree thing choose UIC, (Chicago).

Couldn't tell you much about UNebraska though sorry.

My 2 cents.
Thanks so much for the help...thats a lot of great info :D

The UIC MD/PhD stipend is definetely better than the one I was offered at UIUC...but I think I'm going to end up at UIUC anyway - I connected really well with the faculty there and I think its just a better fit right now.

So hello fellow Illini ^^/

Hey, I'm psyched about going to UIC in the fall! Anybody know if and when the second look week is??

Hey,

I have a question. I was looking at aparments this weekend, and was wondering if there is convenient transportation from Presidential Towers to UICMED. I know there is a bus, but it stops running at around 7:15. How often will i need to be on campus past 7:15? Is there a campus-safety bus service that runs past that time? Also when does orientation start for the M1's next year?

soumdoc said:
Also when does orientation start for the M1's next year?

Sorry i can't help with the post 7:15 question (although i do remember them mentioning that the anatomy lab is open 24 hrs, so if you want to be working/studing that past 7:15 PM, i don't know), but our orientation is August 7-12. So soon!

Hi, can somebody please direct me to information that can help me choose between rockford, peoria, and urbana. I probably won't get chicago so I'd like to make an informed decision. congrats to everybody. can the assignment be appealed??

You guys are going to both love and hate Anatomy lab! I can't wait for you to experience that!!!!! Dr. Lieska, our anatomy professor, was both the bane and the boon of my existence my M1 year. I miss his four hour lectures that I'd sleep through and the endless anatomy labs on tuesday and thursday that would last forever, we'd feel lucky if we got out at 7:30 pm those days. And lets not forget the Saturday reviews! I didn't do all that well in the labs (I'm an albino with some of the visual impairments so labs are tough for me, I fought for extra time and I got it, so no more issues). Anatomy was just one huge party in a way, mainly because most people socialize a lot during the labs and class.

About the transportation isuue, there is a shuttle but I don't use so I don't know much about it. I'm a woman staying in the UIC dorms but I often venture out on my own, and always use the subway. Lots of people around, safety in numbers ladies! There are three Metra stops near campus: Polk is the closest and most convenient, Damen and UIC/Med Center. I've never had transport issues, other than the fact that I'm 26 and can't drive. If I have had minimal issues then you really have nothing to worry about.

Chill. Relax.

Enjoy your dangerously finite moments of freedom before med school!

eram said:
Thanks so much for the help...thats a lot of great info :D

The UIC MD/PhD stipend is definetely better than the one I was offered at UIUC...but I think I'm going to end up at UIUC anyway - I connected really well with the faculty there and I think its just a better fit right now.

So hello fellow Illini ^^/

I'm glad I could help.

Welcome to the fold! You'll enjoy it, I assure you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to point something out to avoid confusion, and by no means to call you out as I say this in error all the time as well... the three stops near campus (Polk, Med Center, & Damen) are CTA Blue Line (L train) stops, not metra. The metra stop is one of the downtown main-stations which isn't a terrible walk to the clinton blue line station, and I believe there's a direct CTA bus from the metra station to campus, but I'm not 100% on that.

I'm from Wash DC and the whole metra thing confuses me.
I'm used to the Subway = the Metro

So above poster is likely correct.

mm6274263 said:
I'm from Wash DC

For OOS'ers, how do you handle the tuition? I just want to be sure, its not more that $50k/year.. right ?? :confused:

Hey guys - for those of you hoping to get/switch into the Chicago campus, jbrice on the pre-allo forums just posted that he's officially given up his Chicago seat. I'm already in the Chicago campus, but I don't know if they give first preference for switching to those who were assigned earlier (to the UPR track) or to new acceptances...but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you guys that you get the campus you want!

s2kfan1 said:
Hi, can somebody please direct me to information that can help me choose between rockford, peoria, and urbana. I probably won't get chicago so I'd like to make an informed decision. congrats to everybody. can the assignment be appealed??

any help guys/gals i'd really appreciate it. thanks.

Your best bet is to do a search for UIC rockford or UIC peoria or something of that nature through the forums. There's some really good information about the different choices there, in addition there's a considerable amount in the UIC class of 2009 thread.

Just a brief synopsis: In rockford, there are basically no residents, so you get a LOT of personal attention in 3rd and 4th year, in addition classes 2nd year end at noon, which is different from Chicago, and I believe different from the other campuses as well.

In peoria, they have their "rural medicine" program there, but you can do whatever you want there. I hear they have the best board scores of all the campuses, and that they manage to score a good number of surgery matches.

As far as urbana, I'm under the impression that after 1st year, this is reserved almost exclusively for MD/PhD students, so I never even thought much about it.

Metropolitan area wise, I think both Rockford and peoria are about the same size, rockford being a little bit bigger and considered by its own residents to be a "small city". It's an interesting mix of people, peoria is probably considered the more rural of the two, but both should give you pretty cheap housing options.

So maybe that wasn't as brief as I intended, but for more personal insight from folks who have experienced either program, look for the threads I mentioned.

UICBound said:
Hey, I'm psyched about going to UIC in the fall! Anybody know if and when the second look week is??
Yeah, does anybody know anything at all about this? Does UIC even have a second look weekend? It would be awesome if they did.

pop of rockford is 150 k, pop of peoria is 112 k. i checked out local newspapers online. folks, it IS true that there are houses to be had in both places for 30 k and less! but beware, pops are decreasing in both places and the economy may not be so hot.

This website may be of interest to some of you who haven't found it yet:

UICCOM Office of Student Affairs

If you click on m1 year it talks about orientation dates, but thats pretty much it for so far. No news on a second look day, but I recall in the class of 09 thread that it occurred in late april, and came up as a surprise as most didn't even know it was coming.

There's all sorts of interesting information...such as an 06 match list =)

Ombatay said:
As far as urbana, I'm under the impression that after 1st year, this is reserved almost exclusively for MD/PhD students, so I never even thought much about it.

This is true (at least they told me that at my MSP interview), except that they fill up the rest of the class to ~30 (or was it 50?...)with regular MD students depending on how many MSP they have in the medical training any given year.

Also, someone commented on the board score differential, and I thought that the information packet from UIC might be of interest to some. It has some info, and it shows the percentages of 2000 and 2001 graduates that placed in their top 3 residency chices (broken down by choice 1, 2, or 3 per campus).

Rockford has 95% matching in one of their top 3 choices (61% at #1)
Urbana has 91% (64% at #1)
Peoria has 89% (76% at #1)
Chicago has 73% (49% #1).

There's also a lot of other good information in the 218 page behemouth.

It can be found at: http://www.uic.edu/depts/mcam/pdf/uic_com2002_4.pdf

Hey everyone...
One of the deans told me that Friday April 21 UIC will be hosting a "Second Look" day for students holding a seat at the Chicago campus. I'm excited to meet all of you and to get a second look!

I can't wait for the second look...my memory has faded too much since my interview (especially since it took place in the midst of all my other interviews), and it'll be really nice to go there with no stress and knowing it's where we're going to school.

Also - about the differentials in residency placement posted by eram - you have to remember two things: first, there are less students at each UPR campus than in chicago, which can skew the numbers, and second (and this goes for all match lists, regardless of school), people rank their residency choices based on places they know they have a good shot of getting into, so there's a lot of self-selection at work. Just thought I'd throw that out there :)

One final thing - for any females out there who are Chicago campus - I just got my apartment yesterday and i'm going to be looking for a roommate, so PM me if you think you might be interested, and I'll be happy to give you some more details :)

thinknofu3 said:
Also - about the differentials in residency placement posted by eram - you have to remember two things: first, there are less students at each UPR campus than in chicago, which can skew the numbers, and second (and this goes for all match lists, regardless of school), people rank their residency choices based on places they know they have a good shot of getting into, so there's a lot of self-selection at work. Just thought I'd throw that out there :)

Yeah, I was just posting the excerpt from the pdf thingy since someone was talking about boards and all...

Hey!

Did everyone get the 2nd look e-mail. Who is all going? I know for sure that I probably will be there :)

I just got it now :) I'll definitely be there, and i'm really excited to meet everybody! (We should all form our little SDN corner so we can finally reveal the faces behind the usernames, lol)

PS - does anybody know if there's any "proper" attire for these things? casual? business casual? Just wondering.

As someone assigned to another campus but hoping very much so that I get a transfer to chicago... can I crash this thing? =P

That being said, anybody hear anything about a second look for satellite campuses?

how is the second look day organized? what do you do? i'm out of state and debating if i should go or not. Any out of staters also going?

here's what it says in the e-mail (which i'm guessing you got):

"On this day you will have an opportunity to meet your fellow
Chicago campus classmates, get an extended tour of our campus and
facilities, and receive in depth information about many of the
opportunities available at UIC (i.e research, volunteering, campus
organizations, etc..)"

I think it sounds cool. I'm going, but i'm not an out of stater. Hope to see you there!

I just got my award information and I am a bit confused................they estimated living expenses as $9900, that's for food and rent included............but living in Chicago most rent is about $700 a person, and then utilities about another $100 and then food...........I don't know how a person can survive on 9900 for the entire year in Chicago......can I call the Financial Aid office and get an appeal on my award letter? How much typically, as an instate student, expected to get in aid? I recieved some scholarship money, and the max amt of subsidized loan, which I am happy about, but I feel that their estimation of expenses was too low. They estimated expenses at around $41,000. Current students, Is this about how much is spent? Please let me know, any information would be nice

Well, I believe it's intended to be used for 10 months too (you're responsible for the summer I guess), so you have to take that into account that its 990/month then, not 825 or whatever. That being said, it does seem a little low for comfort. I guess you have to be a bit less particular when it comes to apartment shopping. How much did they alot you for other expenses (books, etc..) I've found I've always been able to skip buying books and use it to pay a few bills here or there =P.

soumdoc said:
I just got my award information and I am a bit confused................they estimated living expenses as $9900, that's for food and rent included............but living in Chicago most rent is about $700 a person, and then utilities about another $100 and then food...........I don't know how a person can survive on 9900 for the entire year in Chicago......can I call the Financial Aid office and get an appeal on my award letter? How much typically, as an instate student, expected to get in aid? I recieved some scholarship money, and the max amt of subsidized loan, which I am happy about, but I feel that their estimation of expenses was too low. They estimated expenses at around $41,000. Current students, Is this about how much is spent? Please let me know, any information would be nice

I think it has to do with whether you live with your parents or not. If you do they will give you less. If not, then it should be more. It should be around 12000-13000 for living expenses. Would you mind sharing how much is tuition and the book award is......But, you should definately call them, something seems wrong...

Here is the estimated budget that I recieved:

Books and Supplies: $1,380.00

Disability Insurance : $58.00

Mandatory Fees : $2,468.00

Housing and Food Expenses: $9,900.00

Loan Fees: $578.00

Maintenance assessment: $500.00

Personal Expenses: $2,400.00

Tuition: $24,708.00

Total: $41,992.00

I am in-state, I am not living with my parents (I am married, but my husband is also a student, so we basically have no income, we just kind of survive off his PHD Stipend, which is NOT that much, and he won't even be with me next year, as he will be finishing his PHD in Michigan, while I'm at UIC) I feel that the housing/food amt is a little bit low.........I talked to the financial aid office this morning, and she said I could increase the budget if I furnish proof that my rent exceeds $600/month (which is what they budgeted for). Also, just thought I would let you all know, we will only recieve our loan checks about the last week of August, so we will have to pay for moving expenses/first month's rent/first month's food, pretty much out of pocket........

hi guys, just found this thread. congrats to to everyone, i got accepted to chicago track in october 2005. i will also be attending the second look day.

as far as budgeting, i met with one of the financial advisors at uic and you can get a lot of budget increases for certain expenses like rent (up to 900/month), computer (up to 3000), car insurance, parking fees, etc. so dont worry so much about the money, as they will reimburse you with loan budget increases. however, we will have to live with some level of frugality.

soumdoc said:

I am in-state, I am not living with my parents (I am married, but my husband is also a student, so we basically have no income, we just kind of survive off his PHD Stipend, which is NOT that much, and he won't even be with me next year, as he will be finishing his PHD in Michigan, while I'm at UIC) I feel that the housing/food amt is a little bit low.........I talked to the financial aid office this morning, and she said I could increase the budget if I furnish proof that my rent exceeds $600/month (which is what they budgeted for). Also, just thought I would let you all know, we will only recieve our loan checks about the last week of August, so we will have to pay for moving expenses/first month's rent/first month's food, pretty much out of pocket........

Did anyone buy flight tickets yesterday ??

I just got mine last night for the second look day on 4/21 and checked my email to find out that they moved it to 4/28... great... :eek:

Gotta reschedule things quick, I'm just glad I didn't get a rental car and hotel room yet, that would have sucked.

Anyone from OOS get their financial award packet yet ?

soumdoc said:

wow. in-state tuition for the first year is up to almost 25 k now???

soumdoc said:

Thanks for the info. Darn, the budget seems slim. So we get pretty much 12300 to deal with food, personal, rent. etcera... Wow, 1230 a month is quite low.

I just got my plane ticket for the 2nd look day, we should all get together after the 2nd look day.

Hi all,

I am a current 2nd year at UIC COM in Chicago. I'd like to say congrats to you all.
First of all, I'd like to say don't worry about living expenses, you should be fine as long as you don't try to live too much over your budget. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

That being said I am looking for 2 new roommatess for next year starting in the summer(May or June) or August 1st. Rent is $400-$415/mo. depending on how much my landlord increases rent. Nice apartment, 3 bdrm/2 ba. Near a shuttle stop. 12 min walk to class. You can stop by at the second look day if you like.

pm me for me details.

tm

Hi everyone.. Congratulations to all!!!
I just got my acceptance letter in the mail today. I am so excited about it.
Being from Hoffman Estates (NW suburb of Chicago) I want to attend the Chicago campus (1st choice; will be tough to get it) but I need some input from you guys and current M1-M4 students (if any of u check this thread) to narrow down my choices. I have been looking at the catalog and the curriculum and match %ages. But I would love to have some input directly from you guys. Any ideas are most appreciated. Thanks.

Hey all:

I would just like to congratulate the class of 2010!! Anyways, I'll be an M2 next year at the Chicago campus. Since I tend to procrastinate a lot, I'll be posting suggestions based on my M1 experience on this thread every once in a while. However, since they will be slightly changing the curriculum next year, you should take my advice (for academic stuff) with a grain of salt.

First bit of wisdom- If you have had no previous experience with Gross Anatomy (like me), it will most likely be your most time consuming subject. While I'd highly recommend that no one do any studying over the summer, I would recommend at least taking a glance at some gross anatomy dissection videos to become vaguely familiar with some of the terminology and structures. While the videos on our blackboard are good, they won't be accessible to you guys until August. So here are two great alternative sites:

http://www.med.umich.edu/lrc/coursepages/M1/anatomy/html/courseinfo/video_index.html

http://www.anatomy.wisc.edu/courses/gross/index.html

Oh and by the way- for you guys on the Chicago campus- the Anatomy Prof- Dr. Lieska (pronounced "Liss-ka") is probably the greatest professor you'll ever have. I hear the Urbana prof is very good as well- but can't comment.

Anyways, congrats again and good luck with the senioritis (man- I miss that!!).

busthwt said:
I just got my plane ticket for the 2nd look day, we should all get together after the 2nd look day.
I second that - it would be cool if we could all hang out for a little bit :) Any suggestions as to how this could be arranged?

Does anybody know what either campus offers in terms of lectures available online either audio or video?

Ombatay said:
Does anybody know what either campus offers in terms of lectures available online either audio or video?

Chicago campus- Dr. Lieska (anatomy) started an "experiment"- he began posting video recordings of all lectures on blackboard. I'm not sure if that will continue next year, but probably won't happen for other classes. However, there is an optional student-run note-taking service (co-op) which is generally pretty good (costs about $200/semester).

Other campuses- no idea

Hey everyone,

Again, congrats on your acceptance to UIC! It's a great school that has a lot to offer. If anyone has questions, please feel free to ask as I'm currently a student in the Chicago campus.

On a sad note, UIC fell in the US News rankings. I know these don't mean much to many people, but they receive a lot of publicity nonetheless. We fell from 59 to 62 this year. Hopefully we'll recover next year as US News doesn't publish rankings below 62.

After reading so many threads at SDN, I know that Rockford / Peoria have good intern opportunities because you receive more personal attention. However, I heard for the Urbana track, one probably will take more biostatistical classes than the Chicago track, Is that true? Is there any differences b/w the curriculum besides this?
ANother question is that for the research opportunity, which campus has the most chances to involve in research? how about the equipment/building/funding in each campus?
I am now debating over Rockford/Chicago because I know Chicago is having a new research building. And Rockford not Peoria because I know the RMed program is headed by that campus.
ANy thoughts/correction on my information?

flyingblue said:
After reading so many threads at SDN, I know that Rockford / Peoria have good intern opportunities because you receive more personal attention. However, I heard for the Urbana track, one probably will take more biostatistical classes than the Chicago track, Is that true? Is there any differences b/w the curriculum besides this?
ANother question is that for the research opportunity, which campus has the most chances to involve in research? how about the equipment/building/funding in each campus?
I am now debating over Rockford/Chicago because I know Chicago is having a new research building. And Rockford not Peoria because I know the RMed program is headed by that campus.
ANy thoughts/correction on my information?

Ah, so nice to be done w/ two tests....

Anyways, I am confused about what you mean by "debating"... b/c if you have not sent in your preference as of yet (eh- more like as of December or January), you will probably NOT get the Chicago track... unless you have a very GOOD reason.

First of all, let me give you examples of "bad reasons":

(1) I want to practice "urban" medicine (eh- so "does" everyone else)
(2) I want to be in a research environment (BS BS BS BS- there's research everywhere... and let's face it folks... most of you WON'T be doing research in med school, and won't care)

... and pretty much anything that isn't serious

Now the "good" reasons

(1) you have a CONNECTION (a very very good connection)... and I hope you all know what that means
(2) Have very sick family member who only has you to take care of them (and believe it or not- this reason is actually tougher to use than the "connection")

Anyways, if one of your reasons for transferring is the above two, you hold a good chance, if it is not... well then- tough luck- at least you're getting an "MD" and not a foreign MD or DO--

Sorry for the harsh reality, but I remember all the BSing on the equivalent thread from last year and am just trying to help y'all.

---

As for the opportunities... well let me tell you this much- most rotations will be at hospitals where many many patients are accepted without insurance.... and that usually means more freedom for medical students... but this is solely my speculation b/c I have yet to start my clinical years.

Both tracks require an "LPC" which is a mini-internship w/a primary care physician, basically- you take histories and vitals and the physician grades you.

In terms of the curriculum- who cares?? The point of the curriculum is to gain at least as much info as you need for the board exams... and according to LCME, all US med schools do this sufficiently.. so you'll pretty much learn the same things at any med school.

Hope this helps, peace.

sga814 said:
Ah, so nice to be done w/ two tests....

Anyways, I am confused about what you mean by "debating"... b/c if you have not sent in your preference as of yet (eh- more like as of December or January), you will probably NOT get the Chicago track... unless you have a very GOOD reason.

First of all, let me give you examples of "bad reasons":

(1) I want to practice "urban" medicine (eh- so "does" everyone else)
(2) I want to be in a research environment (BS BS BS BS- there's research everywhere... and let's face it folks... most of you WON'T be doing research in med school, and won't care)

... and pretty much anything that isn't serious

Now the "good" reasons

(1) you have a CONNECTION (a very very good connection)... and I hope you all know what that means
(2) Have very sick family member who only has you to take care of them (and believe it or not- this reason is actually tougher to use than the "connection")

Anyways, if one of your reasons for transferring is the above two, you hold a good chance, if it is not... well then- tough luck- at least you're getting an "MD" and not a foreign MD or DO--

Sorry for the harsh reality, but I remember all the BSing on the equivalent thread from last year and am just trying to help y'all.

---

As for the opportunities... well let me tell you this much- most rotations will be at hospitals where many many patients are accepted without insurance.... and that usually means more freedom for medical students... but this is solely my speculation b/c I have yet to start my clinical years.

Both tracks require an "LPC" which is a mini-internship w/a primary care physician, basically- you take histories and vitals and the physician grades you.

In terms of the curriculum- who cares?? The point of the curriculum is to gain at least as much info as you need for the board exams... and according to LCME, all US med schools do this sufficiently.. so you'll pretty much learn the same things at any med school.

Hope this helps, peace.

Thanks for telling me the truth...haha..I guess I am too slow to know the info. Anyways, so does anyone know about the research opportunities at Rockford/Peoria?