UIC Class of 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We are over a 100 posts on this thread!

On another note, is Pilsen south of UIC?? If so, is it a safe/nice area to live. I just checked the google sat. and it looks like there's a bunch of railroad tracks and cargo storage in that area.

See y'all @ the end of this month.

Members don't see this ad.

pilsen is the area south of campus, in the area between the main campus and the medical campus. it is not the safest area in the world, but is supposedly an up-and-coming area of chicago. just make sure you look at the surroundings before siging on a place.

BerkeleyMD said:
We are over a 100 posts on this thread!

On another note, is Pilsen south of UIC?? If so, is it a safe/nice area to live. I just checked the google sat. and it looks like there's a bunch of railroad tracks and cargo storage in that area.

See y'all @ the end of this month.

How many out of staters here? How should we dress for the second look week? Casual; buisness casual?

Members don't see this ad :)
butka9 said:
pilsen is the area south of campus, in the area between the main campus and the medical campus. it is not the safest area in the world, but is supposedly an up-and-coming area of chicago. just make sure you look at the surroundings before siging on a place.

pilsen is a safe enough area, but if you're white (or maybe some other race/ethnicity) you need to know something you won't see in statistics before you decide to move there. it's a primarily mexican-american neighborhood whose proximity to downtown and other nicer neighborhoods has made it a desirable place to begin gentrifying. to a good number of people in the area, a white person moving into the neighborhood--never mind if they're a no-income student who's renting rather than buying and rehabbing--represents "gentrification." it's a bit misguided, especially when you consider in addition to the above that at the turn of the last century "pilsen" was a czech community, and so there isn't exactly a long history of mexican-american presence. i've had white friends making about 18k per year renting there, and amid the people who are friendly toward them are people who've blocked them from entering local restaurants or are otherwise unfriendly and people who've put up anti-gentrification (read: anti-white) signs outside their apartment. basically, there is some decent anti-gentrification/-white sentiment there, and you can search the local media to read more about it. there is also something of a gang presence in pilsen, but the area is so dense and has so many families that i think it is safe enough. who knows? the gang presence may explain the anti-white behavior, being as misguided and juvenile as it is.

sanford_w/o_son said:
pilsen is a safe enough area, but if you're white (or maybe some other race/ethnicity) you need to know something you won't see in statistics before you decide to move there. it's a primarily mexican-american neighborhood whose proximity to downtown and other nicer neighborhoods has made it a desirable place to begin gentrifying. to a good number of people in the area, a white person moving into the neighborhood--never mind if they're a no-income student who's renting rather than buying and rehabbing--represents "gentrification." it's a bit misguided, especially when you consider in addition to the above that at the turn of the last century "pilsen" was a czech community, and so there isn't exactly a long history of mexican-american presence. i've had white friends making about 18k per year renting there, and amid the people who are friendly toward them are people who've blocked them from entering local restaurants or are otherwise unfriendly and people who've put up anti-gentrification (read: anti-white) signs outside their apartment. basically, there is some decent anti-gentrification/-white sentiment there, and you can search the local media to read more about it. there is also something of a gang presence in pilsen, but the area is so dense and has so many families that i think it is safe enough. who knows? the gang presence may explain the anti-white behavior, being as misguided and juvenile as it is.

Thanks for the great comments guys, I'm not white but not really pumped about living in an area with gangs/racial tension. I guess that explains the cheaper rent in the area.

How about Tri-Taylor, it seems really nice but more $$.

busthwt said:
How many out of staters here? How should we dress for the second look week? Casual; buisness casual?

I'm from Cali.

I would dress business casual, no suit but a shirt and tie.

What's a decent area with not much racial, and gang tension and thats close to public transport?

This is for those who were placed into the UPR track but are looking to change to the Chicago track. They said that last year they offered some students the opportunity to change to the Chicago track a week before orientation. I dont want to commit to any housing in Urbana until I hear about the Chicago track, but I also don't want to find myself without housing in August. Is there anyone else with this predicament?

It's a concern that has crossed my mind, but I am in an ok situation if I do end up in chicago, the problem with waiting has more to do with finding housing in Champaign/Urbana. I guess people in our situation have no choice as to wait to hear or forfeit a considerable sum? Perhaps there's graduate housing at UIUC which would have a much more flexible housing contract, or even a slightly further off-campus apartment complex that has a break contract fee that is a reasonable amount? I'm trying not to be too paranoid about finding housing at the last minute, though. If its anything like my undergrad was, it means I'll end up with a place further from campus than I'd like but also at a slightly lower rate as they try and fill up the spare units before classes start. In other words, it may create a bit of chaos in our lives, but we won't be completely screwed over.

Look below.. had problems editing message

Oh by the way- for those of you coming to Second Look-- it is the weekend right before M1 Finals (last ones of the year), and M2's are probably studying for step 1 ("finals" for year 1+2)... so if we seem a little panicky/nervous- that might be why.

Anyone knows about the research opportunities in Rockford/Peoria? which campus is a better to place to find research to do?

BerkeleyMD said:
Thanks for the great comments guys, I'm not white but not really pumped about living in an area with gangs/racial tension. I guess that explains the cheaper rent in the area.

How about Tri-Taylor, it seems really nice but more $$.

tri-taylor is a nicer area than pilsen, with largely uic students. if you want to look for a cheap place in the area, you might try west of damen ave (as far west as a couple blocks west of western ave), between roosevelt rd and i-290. there are some fairly cheap rents there and the area is more integrated (but fewer students and commercial stuff). it's also about the same distance away as pilsen. don't look too far west of western, though (maybe not past california?), or you'll be in a shadier area.

but if i weren't white i'd give pilsen a try. it's a vibrant neighborhood and i don't think crime is all that horrible there. gangs are all about selling drugs, anyway. just stay out of their way.

Members don't see this ad :)
sanford_w/o_son said:
tri-taylor is a nicer area than pilsen, with largely uic students. if you want to look for a cheap place in the area, you might try west of damen ave (as far west as a couple blocks west of western ave), between roosevelt rd and i-290. there are some fairly cheap rents there and the area is more integrated (but fewer students and commercial stuff). it's also about the same distance away as pilsen. don't look too far west of western, though (maybe not past california?), or you'll be in a shadier area.

but if i weren't white i'd give pilsen a try. it's a vibrant neighborhood and i don't think crime is all that horrible there. gangs are all about selling drugs, anyway. just stay out of their way.

Thanks a bunch,

Going to undergrad at Cal and being near Oakland, I've been exposed to that crime/gand/drug violence... but its always been something drove past late at night (never had to live in such a area).

It seems like Tri-Taylor is nice, and being in an area with other UIC/med students will be a def. plus.

Thanks again!

Why?

-- Too expensive for the quality
-- Extremely noisy (I need to wear Jackhammering earplugs to sleep and study peacefully)
-- They are liars- said they'd have a "clubhouse" w/pool and fitness center built by May of this year and they have not yet even shoveled a grain of soil. Also, I put in a work order for a broken door at my place.... it's been 5 months.... and nothing!!
-- Just not worth it (I'm moving out soon).

Lots of people seem to like living in the area east of Ashland/West of Halsted (pretty much in the heart of East-campus UIC)- So I'd look into that.

However- anything close to UIC and south of Roosevelt is BIG trouble... unless you look like a gangbanger, I would not live there.

sga814 said:
Why?

-- Too expensive for the quality
-- Extremely noisy (I need to wear Jackhammering earplugs to sleep and study peacefully)
-- They are liars- said they'd have a "clubhouse" w/pool and fitness center built by May of this year and they have not yet even shoveled a grain of soil. Also, I put in a work order for a broken door at my place.... it's been 5 months.... and nothing!!
-- Just not worth it (I'm moving out soon).

Lots of people seem to like living in the area east of Ashland/West of Halsted (pretty much in the heart of East-campus UIC)- So I'd look into that.

However- anything close to UIC and south of Roosevelt is BIG trouble... unless you look like a gangbanger, I would not live there.

what was the MD city ??

MD City is a big apartment complex very very near the school. More info here . They advertise themselves as the ideal for UIC/Rush students or medical professionals, but as you can see some students disagree as to how "ideal" it is.

Calling on nontraditionals (ie. over 25) Just curious if I'm going to be the oldest one in our class......I'm thirtysomething.

don't know about your class, but my class- oldest guy is 36, class ahead of me, oldest guy is 43 (I think).. but there are plenty plenty of 25+'.. there have to be at least 20

kitsy said:
Calling on nontraditionals (ie. over 25) Just curious if I'm going to be the oldest one in our class......I'm thirtysomething.

/wave

come to Urbana we'll keep you company :)

Ombatay said:
MD City is a big apartment complex very very near the school. More info here . They advertise themselves as the ideal for UIC/Rush students or medical professionals, but as you can see some students disagree as to how "ideal" it is.

two-bedroom in tri-taylor from 1400? that sounds pretty darn high for the area. i wager they're trying to corner the market on med students thinking about their future salaries.

kitsy said:

:laugh:
am pushing 30 here, so you'll be in good company.

i'll be 28 this fall! You're not alone! heehee :p

PS: we're not THAT old, c'mon!

medicomel said:
:laugh:
am pushing 30 here, so you'll be in good company.

Good to know. I have always had lots of younger and older friends, but it will be nice to know I'm not going to be the only one who is 30ish.

Hello Guys,

Looked at the thread today, was excited to go over it. I saw a lot of postings on housing - something i am concerned about as well.

Presently I go to UIC for undergrad. and have been commuting this semester from a SW suburb (use Metra to Blue line or #7/#60). But I have lived in an off-campus appt. by the west side on western avenue and polk. The appt. was in great shape and affordable (3 decent size BR, 2 Baths for $1200) and UIC shuttle + #7 + Blue line western stop all get you to UIC COM. I used local realtors (tri-taylor) and they were a great help. The area is students and mostly owners and we never had any problems. The appt. are in market throughout the summer, we found ours in June, so don't stress much. Pilsen is cheaper, but the little Italy, tri-taylor area is definatelty better to live in.

I plan on using campus housing for the first year though. My friends (current M1s) live there and they are going to renew their contracts. The only concern for me is matching - i have always lived with friends, but one of the staff members assured me that they make every effort to match M1s togather. May be for the 2nd year i will look for an appt.

Congrats too all, U of I is a great choice and i hope to meeting you guys on the 2nd look day.

I just got some financial aid info from UIC that estimates my total yearly expenses @ ~$70,000. There is a breakdown of the loans but nothing in regards to the actual tuition cost and living expenses broken down, but 70g's/yr is about right. Is this our final FAFSA award (scholarships and all)?

Everything I got in this estimate were loans, subsidized and unsubsidized, no free money :mad: .

My expected family contribution is 0 and I'm from out of state.... anyone else in the same boat?

What do we do now?? Will we hear from FAFSA, or is this that magical awards packet we've all been hearing about?

BerkeleyMD said:
I just got some financial aid info from UIC that estimates my total yearly expenses @ ~$70,000. There is a breakdown of the loans but nothing in regards to the actual tuition cost and living expenses broken down, but 70g's/yr is about right. Is this our final FAFSA award (scholarships and all)?

Everything I got in this estimate were loans, subsidized and unsubsidized, no free money :mad: .

My expected family contribution is 0 and I'm from out of state.... anyone else in the same boat?

What do we do now?? Will we hear from FAFSA, or is this that magical awards packet we've all been hearing about?

I got the same letter today. Apparently this is just a load description and they hadn't finalized the budget from what the paper says. 70 g's alot of money I'm figuring that once we get the final budget we'll have a clearer understanding on how much we should get.

Yup- and you can tack on an additional 15K/year to that 70K for clinical years (3/4) b/c the summer "semester" counts.

Ever thought of staying out-of-state, and letting in-state people go to their home school? ;)

sga814 said:
Ever thought of staying out-of-state, and letting in-state people go to their home school? ;)

Hey bro, not to "snow" on your parade, but.... I'd love to stay out here in Cali, its just that the schools out here are killer.

Anyways, lets keep things clean :D , we don't need to start typical SDN bashings on our class thread.

busthwt said:
I got the same letter today. Apparently this is just a load description and they hadn't finalized the budget from what the paper says. 70 g's alot of money I'm figuring that once we get the final budget we'll have a clearer understanding on how much we should get.

They do want us to send out how much we accept/reject within 10 business days, so I guess we have to make a need assessment based on those estimated numbers.

BerkeleyMD said:
They do want us to send out how much we accept/reject within 10 business days, so I guess we have to make a need assessment based on those estimated numbers.

70,000 a year, that comes down to 280,000 for all four years. Wow, this is killer. I was highly considering uic, but that is a lot of money. Damm one could feed an entire third world nation for five years with that kind of money. whoa!

pico61 said:
70,000 a year, that comes down to 280,000 for all four years. Wow, this is killer. I was highly considering uic, but that is a lot of money. Damm one could feed an entire third world nation for five years with that kind of money. whoa!

what suprises me is that even the in-state tuition isn't cheap. 250 students and they need to charge almost 25k per year for in-staters??? that's only around 10k less than many private schools. is il not doing enough for funding, or is uic just taking advantage of it being the only public school in northern illinois? combine that with the two "secret summers" and it's a big turn-off.

BerkeleyMD said:
Hey bro, not to "snow" on your parade, but.... I'd love to stay out here in Cali, its just that the schools out here are killer.

Anyways, lets keep things clean :D , we don't need to start typical SDN bashings on our class thread.

Notice my ;) ... which obviously means I was joking!!! But if you want to start something, I'd love to debate... although I'd rather not :D

The story as told by UIC is that the enormous in-state tuition has a lot to do with the ILL government not bucking up. The stategov has been very stingy in terms of healthcare I guess and this has something to do with the problems UIC Hospital is now experiencing as well. But I imagine that's not the entire story. When I see places like Mississippi charging 7500$ tuition/year it makes it seem all the more astronomical...

One of the deans told me once that UIC functions much like a private school. They receive around 13% of their funding from the state which is much lower than other states school. As a result, they need to generate revenue through tuition, fundraising, lobbying, etc. Also, this year's M1 class had 26% students come from out-of-state. This to me is very generous for a state school. I suspect one of the reasons UIC has such a high percentage of out-of-state students is because they can make more money. Interestingly, more than a quarter of the Chicago campus is composed of URMs and I believe more than half of the out-of-state students are URMs. Our Dean of Admissions is Hispanic and he is very involved in getting URMs to come to our school. :thumbup:

WOW, $70K + 15K for the last two years is a BIG chunk of money (I am also out of state) :eek: . That is actually more expensive than the cost of attending Pritzker and they allot more for personal and housing. Hmmm...show me the scholarship money!!!!

after flipping through the msar and seeing various school websites, i have a rough impression that the average in-state tuition for public schools is around 18k. i think siu's is about that. when you factor in the two summers, uic's comes out to around 10k more, or 40k total.

i just read that they're going to do a 9.5% tuition raise for the entering undergrads. part of this is due to state budget pressure, part of this is because the state passed legislation that no longer allows an undergrad's tuition to be raised during their time there.

but what of scholarships? the last msar claims they gave out an average of 11,082 in scholarship money, which, funny enough, would push their in-state tuition down to what i got the impression is the average for state schools. who gets the money?

and yeah, the diversity of uic students is a big turn-on, as is the diversity of pts at cook county h.

muhahahah

diversity- yes 47% is..... WHITE (a MINORITY!!)

Cook County- NO!!! usually you can only do elective rotations there.... their affiliation is w/ RUSH..... however, West Side VA, UIC Med Center, and Illinois Masonic offer plenty of diversity (and by diversity I mean patients w/o insurance ;) )

sga814 said:
muhahahah

diversity- yes 47% is..... WHITE (a MINORITY!!)

Cook County- NO!!! usually you can only do elective rotations there.... their affiliation is w/ RUSH..... however, West Side VA, UIC Med Center, and Illinois Masonic offer plenty of diversity (and by diversity I mean patients w/o insurance ;) )

there's also mercy h and christ h, no? same story.

addendum: but i think cook county attracts more spanish-speaking pts than any of these.

sanford_w/o_son said:
there's also mercy h and christ h, no? same story.

addendum: but i think cook county attracts more spanish-speaking pts than any of these.

yeah ok those too... point is... Cook County = NOT affiliated w/ UIC....

interesting side note- recently John H. Stroger, Jr. (after whom John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County is obviously named) was taken to RUSH b/c of his stroke...

think about that one for a while.

from what i understand, rush students also don't do all their rotations at cook county h. i'm not even sure they're still affiliated.

Rush does most rotations at Rush (duh!!) and Cook County:

Education and Training
Recognized as a leading teaching center, the Stroger Hospital residency training and education program in an academic affiliate of Rush Medical College.

Learn more about Rush Medical College from their website at www.rush.edu.

DIRECT FROM http://www.co.cook.il.us/agencyDetail.php?pAgencyID=53

sga814 said:
Notice my ;) ... which obviously means I was joking!!! :D

It's really hard to tell if people on this forum are just joking around or are serious pricks. I gotcha' sga814.

sga814 said:
Rush does most rotations at Rush (duh!!) and Cook County:

Education and Training
Recognized as a leading teaching center, the Stroger Hospital residency training and education program in an academic affiliate of Rush Medical College.

Learn more about Rush Medical College from their website at www.rush.edu.

DIRECT FROM http://www.co.cook.il.us/agencyDetail.php?pAgencyID=53

then i understood correctly and was unsure for a reason. chill.

BerkeleyMD said:
It's really hard to tell if people on this forum are just joking around or are serious pricks. I gotcha' sga814.

i vote . . . well, better not say it. i'm out on this thread. good luck all.

sga814 said:
Yup- and you can tack on an additional 15K/year to that 70K for clinical years (3/4) b/c the summer "semester" counts.

I was just wondering how hard it is to establish residency. I grew up in Illinois but have been living/working in Washington State for the last few years. I still receive some bills (a couple credit card bills and car insurance) at my parents house in Illinois and a lot of other mail. Is it possible for me to try and get in state status? I'm a nontraditional and already have substantial student debt so I'm overwhelmed by the awesomeness of my impending debt. Not enough to bag school, but it is a bit scary at my age or any age I guess.

By the way, I did try to get into the WA state school but they rejected me.

kitsy said:
I was just wondering how hard it is to establish residency. I grew up in Illinois but have been living/working in Washington State for the last few years. I still receive some bills (a couple credit card bills and car insurance) at my parents house in Illinois and a lot of other mail. Is it possible for me to try and get in state status? I'm a nontraditional and already have substantial student debt so I'm overwhelmed by the awesomeness of my impending debt. Not enough to bag school, but it is a bit scary at my age or any age I guess.

By the way, I did try to get into the WA state school but they rejected me.

I would call the fin aid office; I think IL is one of the less-strict states when it comes to declaring in-state status or becoming an IL resident after one year of school.

just got my site assignment today!! Chicago campus!! yay!! :)

hello future classmates ;)

rubberduckmd said:
just got my site assignment today!! Chicago campus!! yay!! :)

hello future classmates ;)

Hey! Congrats on Chicago. Are you from out of state??